Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Brianne Chantal

The Sounds of Our Lives (formerly General Music Discussion)

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Hrairoo said:

Okay, so, did Miley "wear hip-hop culture like a costume" the way some of these people say, or was she being genuine at the time?  Is she changing because no one cares about her anymore, or am I just being a cynical old lady?

No, you're not being cynical. You're just wise to her little con game. Don't worry, many called it during her Bangerz era when all her little fellow white minions defended her and accused black people of being racist when they called out her appropriation of hip hop/urban culture for profit. But that more importantly that her idea of hip hop/urban culture was extremely vulgar and sexually outrageous, as if that is what hip hop and urban music automatically equated to.

And many predicted that once she was done exploiting it for her benefit and no one cared anymore, she'd revert right back to the comforts of her white privilege. As soon as it was confirmed she and Liam were back together, everyone saw the writing on the wall. That slowly the outrageous outfits would go away, the hair would change and eventually we'd hear about how she'd evolved and grew and that little "black" phase would be over.

And sure enough, in her new interview, she's deriding hip hop and rap music with this sweeping, generalization comment:

Quote

But I also love that new Kendrick [Lamar] song [“Humble”]: “Show me somethin’ natural like ass with some stretch marks.” I love that because it’s not “Come sit on my dick, suck on my cock.” I can’t listen to that anymore. That’s what pushed me out of the hip-hop scene a little. It was too much “Lamborghini, got my Rolex, got a girl on my cock” -- I am so not that.

First, I love that she of course references Kendrick because he's the most lauded and respected hip hop/rap artist out right now. In other words, she probably has never listened to an album or an entire song of his but to pretend she actually knows what she's talking about, he's the easy reference to make. But the worse part of this statement is the gall of Miley to talk about being over the hip hop scene because of its offensive elements when this is the girl who not only embraced but basically perpetuated every awful, misogynistic and sexually offensive aspect of what some view hip hop/rap to be.

All in the name of her expressing herself and owning her sexuality and "just being Miley and real". She shook her non-existent ass every chance she got, simulated oral sex on stage, fingered herself on stage, talked about her weed, molly and ecstasy and basically perpetuated every negative stereotype of hip hop and urban music while laughing all the way to the bank when her fanbase of equally white privileged girls ate it all up. And suddenly now that she's back to embracing her "roots", she wants to talk about the offensive aspects of the genre and culture?

I rarely get so fired up about celebrity stuff. But as a black woman who watched as Miley pulled all her shit and so many other white people ate it up and accused black people of playing the race card when they tried to explain why what she was doing was so offensive and problematic, I sincerely say that Miley can kindly go fuck herself.  I hope her "returning to her roots" album flops hard and she and her nasally, annoying ass voice disappears. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Whatever happened to the album Miley released for free?  I don't remember anyone talking about it.  I would assume that even if it wasn't being promoted for financial reasons people would still talk about it if it was any good, but I never heard a peep.  Was it even released, at all?

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, Hrairoo said:

Whatever happened to the album Miley released for free?  I don't remember anyone talking about it.  I would assume that even if it wasn't being promoted for financial reasons people would still talk about it if it was any good, but I never heard a peep.  Was it even released, at all?

It was streamed online.

I'm definitely somewhat cynical about this lifestyle change, but I'm also open to hearing her new music. I do think she's a genuinely talented singer, and while some of her quotes about country music were a bit...shallow, I'm still interested to see how things turn out. 

Share this post


Link to post

Somebody has taken the entire "Sergeant Pepper" album, rewritten lyrics, and added clips from the original Star Wars film.  They call the entire thing "Princess Leia's Stolen Death Star Plans", after the first song in the list.

"Luke is in the Desert and Whining" makes my laugh, and "He's Leaving Home" makes me cry.

Link to the entire playlist:

Share this post


Link to post

Re: Miley: I also saw the change coming from a mile away. She wasn't going to be B.A.P.S Miley for long. It got old; it never was interesting. But that comment about Kendrick was stupid AF. First of all, if you don't want to hear the stunting and "misogyny" in rap, then how about listening to rappers who don't rap about that kind of shit. Plus, that's such an out-of-touch thing to say for a girl her age. The top rappers right now are Drake, Kendrick, and J. Cole and none of them rap like that. Even someone like Future isn't entirely about that as he's pretty big too. So WTF?

For fun, let's watch Miley embarrass herself by shouting "My Neck, My Back" (one of the most vulgar rap songs of the past twenty years) at a mostly disinterested crowd dressed as a butterfly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCqcCGq1k0g

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

But I also love that new Kendrick [Lamar] song [“Humble”]: “Show me somethin’ natural like ass with some stretch marks.” I love that because it’s not “Come sit on my dick, suck on my cock.” I can’t listen to that anymore. That’s what pushed me out of the hip-hop scene a little. It was too much “Lamborghini, got my Rolex, got a girl on my cock” -- I am so not that.

Oh, that's rich.  You've explained why better than I ever could, so I won't try to add anything, but this makes me so angry I have to echo, beyond awarding a "like" to your post, the WTFery of Cyrus now denouncing the sexism of hip hop and rap a) after going all in on, and thus joining in on profiting from, the worst of it, and b) behaving as if sexist lyrics are inherent in, and unique to, those genres.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

No, you're not being cynical. You're just wise to her little con game. Don't worry, many called it during her Bangerz era when all her little fellow white minions defended her and accused black people of being racist when they called out her appropriation of hip hop/urban culture for profit. But that more importantly that her idea of hip hop/urban culture was extremely vulgar and sexually outrageous, as if that is what hip hop and urban music automatically equated to.

And many predicted that once she was done exploiting it for her benefit and no one cared anymore, she'd revert right back to the comforts of her white privilege. As soon as it was confirmed she and Liam were back together, everyone saw the writing on the wall. That slowly the outrageous outfits would go away, the hair would change and eventually we'd hear about how she'd evolved and grew and that little "black" phase would be over.

This is nothing new for her, when "Party in The USA" was huge, Miley admitted that not only had she never heard a Jay Z song, she didn't listen to pop music. 

Quote

"I've never heard a Jay-Z song. I don't listen to pop music," Cyrus answered. "['Party in the U.S.A.'] is not even my style of music. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, GaT said:

This is nothing new for her, when "Party in The USA" was huge, Miley admitted that not only had she never heard a Jay Z song, she didn't listen to pop music. 

Jessie J wrote that song--she actually said once that that song paid her rent for three straight years, I'm assuming before she started to take off as a singer--so I guess the Jay Z part was all her.

I do think Miley has always been a Britney Spears fan, though--Britney was the other singer mentioned in the song. 

The Party in the USA thing bothers me less than the hip hop stuff, though, in large part because she was still a teenager (and a seemingly shamelessly one exploited by adults who should have known better, at that--much like Britney before her). 

Edited by UYI
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I hope nobody is trying to claim that Keith Urban and Carrie Underwood's new song is anything close to country.

 

Silver Raven, meet Trigger from Saving Country Music. He had this pegged back in February:

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/keith-urbans-the-fighter-is-the-most-non-country-country-song-ever/

For what it's worth, I've seen "The Fighter" compared to THIS song. And with that, I guess I just Rickrolled the thread. Sorry. ;)

Edited by UYI
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I hope nobody is trying to claim that Keith Urban and Carrie Underwood's new song is anything close to country.

 

I don't care if it's country or not, what drives me crazy about this song is that it only has 2 short verses, then they keep singing the chorus over & over & over & over. It's like listening to a record player with the needle stuck in the groove.

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I hope nobody is trying to claim that Keith Urban and Carrie Underwood's new song is anything close to country.

All I have to say about this is that her sweatshirt looks like what men's underwear supposedly has to look like before they'll throw it away (according to sitcoms, etc.).

Share this post


Link to post

Alestorm have a new video out, Mexico. It's a good song, and they handle the subject matter with all the taste and sensitivity that they're known for. I'm amused by, for all that the sexy car wash is a trope, there's a sexy donkey wash here. God, sexy donkey wash. There's a phrase I never thought I'd say. However, everyone I saw in that video (the band and the women) look rather pale. I was given to believe that Mexicans are somewhat brown. The video was probably shot in Britain, but couldn't they have rounded up some people who look a little more Mexican?

Share this post


Link to post

Just found out tonight that Coolio ripped off Stevie Wonder with Gangsta's Paradise.

Here's Stevie's original:

 

Here's Coolio's:

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Just found out tonight that Coolio ripped off Stevie Wonder with Gangsta's Paradise.

As noted earlier in the thread, sampling is different than plagiarism. And Stevie is a credited writer on the song.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I think the industry is far too segregated genre wise.  There was a time, many decades ago in which you could hear many different genres and artists on the same station.  A Supremes song would be followed by a Glen Campbell song, followed by a Beatles tune, etc.  

There was a time a person didn't have to be so narrow in their love of music - cross appeal was more common.

I am tired of the companies aiming for the lowest common denominator in music.  Especially songs that celebrate degradation of women.

 

On 4/28/2017 at 10:20 PM, 27bored said:

They need to stop trying to market music to the 18-24 demographic so heavily as though people over the age of 30 don't listen to music.

True.  I feel left out on a lot of local radio - I'd go insane if it weren't for the miracle of iPods!

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, magicdog said:

I think the industry is far too segregated genre wise.  There was a time, many decades ago in which you could hear many different genres and artists on the same station.  A Supremes song would be followed by a Glen Campbell song, followed by a Beatles tune, etc.

I fully agree. There are so many artists I first discovered on radio, including non mainstreams artists who were featured in late evening programs. It's very bizarre to me that everything has become much more segregated somehow, from music genres on the radio to Google chrome thinking it knows what I want to see and restricting my universe based on my recent history.

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

The jury in the Stairway to Heaven plagiarism case has cleared Led Zeppelin.

Quote

I don't think it's outright theft because they are different. At best you can say Page was inspired by it.

The video comparison that I saw/heard, the lengthy opening was virtually identical--way beyond "inspired by" status. LZ should have lost the case as far as I'm concerned.

Share this post


Link to post

I agree, but I think part of that is due to the narrowing of what is considered popular music. Popular music used to have a slightly looser definition than it does now. With the EDM craze and hip-hop/trap influences and R&B being mostly non-existent, it's like, popular music only pertains to certain types of music. It's to the point now that some artists, in a classical sense, might as well make a country album than try to make a pop record (i.e. Colbie Caillat, Pink, John Mayer who did kind of, BSB, etc).

I think that's why Country music has become so diluted, btw. Take a song like "Star of the Show" by Thomas Rhett. It's a nice little ditty, works as a slice of contemporary country given Rhett's slight twang, but it could easily be a Top 40 radio hit. If it had come out in the late 90s, it probably would've been. But it's a Country hit for no other reason than it's too simple. If it had Major Lazer on it, or a verse from Big Sean, it would be on Top 40, but it doesn't so off to Country radio you go.

Share this post


Link to post

I think they need to start signing artists who can actually sing without all the mechanical help.  I know not all of the older singers had great voices (like Bob Dylan, imo), but most of them could sing rather well and even the ones who needed help didn't seem to need as much of it as many of them do today. 

Share this post


Link to post

Yes!  Puddles Pity Party hits the big time.  I don't watch America's Got Talent, but I do follow Puddles on YouTube after seeing him perform with Postmodern Jukebox, and I'm really happy to see him getting mainstream acceptance.  Even Simon Cowell gave him a standing ovation.

Share this post


Link to post

I have been so impressed with Ariana Grande these last few weeks, and yesterday's One Love Manchester concert only cemented that more. Whatever she has done in the past (the donut stuff, etc.), she has made up for by about a billion percent. I know she will be hurting for a long time after this, but the way she has kept the focus on the concertgoers who were there that night (dead or alive now), and brought this concert together in such a short period of time...just amazing. Incredible. I commend her so much.

And it's clear she and Miley love each other so much, too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I watched most of the One Love Manchester concert yesterday.  It was quite inspiring.  While there was ample music being played, it felt like it was more about feelings to me.  I really liked it a lot and I'm not even a fan of most who performed. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎01‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 7:55 PM, WendyCR72 said:

For the Gen X people (like me!), it was announced that a deluxe soundtrack from the movie Singles is being released in May in a 2-CD set, with some previously-unreleased material and inclusion of a song by the (fictional) band Citizen Dick "fronted" by Matt Dillon's character (and with Eddie Vedder as backup...) If anyone is curious, here is all the info.

I guess I'm a Gen X-er (born in 1965), but musically, I'm a baby boomer.  Maybe it's because my musical taste was heavily influenced by my brother, who's 5 years older.  The only songs I even know on the Singles soundtrack are the ones originally by Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix.

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 1:24 PM, Hrairoo said:

Miley Cyrus seems to be changing her sound and look.  In fact, now she dresses more like Minnie Mouse...

http://people.com/music/miley-cyrus-responds-backlash-hip-hop/

Okay, so, did Miley "wear hip-hop culture like a costume" the way some of these people say, or was she being genuine at the time?  Is she changing because no one cares about her anymore, or am I just being a cynical old lady?

I'll preface this by saying that I don't care about Miley Cyrus one way or the other, but can't she have genuinely appreciated it at the time, and yet still move one to something else?  Can't it simply be that her interests have changed, or that she's trying to grow as an artist?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I'll preface this by saying that I don't care about Miley Cyrus one way or the other, but can't she have genuinely appreciated it at the time, and yet still move one to something else?  Can't it simply be that her interests have changed, or that she's trying to grow as an artist?

YMMV but no. Appreciating a different sound and culture involves experimenting with a different sound, working with certain producers, artists, etc. It's not changing your entire wardrobe, way of speaking, point of reference and basically going extremely far left to what you were before. Basically it's the same issue some are having right now with Drake and his use of Jamaican/Dance Hall music in his songs. It's not that he's experimenting with a new sound that's the problem. It's that suddenly he now has some fake Jamaican accent, trying to talk with some faux patios, etc. It's insulting. 

Miley just didn't add some hip hop/rap elements to her sound. She embraced and perpetuated every negative stereotype about the genre with the over the top sexual behavior, talking in some fake African American Vernacular, trying to insist how much she'd always loved hip hop music so much even if a few years earlier she couldn't name one Jay Z song. Miley was a young white girl who clearly has no freaking clue who the hell she is and just becomes whatever latest fad she's taken up. And while I would have mostly just rolled my eyes at her antics, it's the fact that so many came for some black people who called out why her behavior was offensive that bothered me.

I read so many comments by her little white teenage fans going on about how black people are so racist and always making things "a black thing" while emulating Miley's same stupid behavior and insisting that this was Miley truly being "herself". Sure it was. And even still, I would not have cared about her latest image change because the minute she and Liam got back together, I knew it was coming. But the gall of her to then come and talk about the offensive aspects of hip hop and that's why she's no longer feeling it when it's like really girl? When you perpetuated EVERY SINGLE one of those stereotypes and happily made your money off it. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you, truthaboutluv, for your answer.  I had just thrown my random thought out there, and you took the time to offer insight.  I appreciate that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

For all of Miley's mishaps in the past, like I said above, I was genuinely moved by how much she supported Ariana this weekend in Manchester (and since the explosion first happened, really). It's clear the two of them are true friends. 

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I guess I'm a Gen X-er (born in 1965), but musically, I'm a baby boomer.  Maybe it's because my musical taste was heavily influenced by my brother, who's 5 years older.  The only songs I even know on the Singles soundtrack are the ones originally by Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix.

Interesting.  I always considered myself a Gen Xer even though I was born in late 64. My sister is 7 years older than me.  While she certainly turned me onto classics like the Beatles and Led Zeppelin, and I like Yes, ELP and Rush, my love is 80s metal and  90s grunge. I loved Singles.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm really surprised by this song by Niall Horan, called Slow Hands. It's not what I would expect, I like it.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, UYI said:

For all of Miley's mishaps in the past, like I said above, I was genuinely moved by how much she supported Ariana this weekend in Manchester (and since the explosion first happened, really). It's clear the two of them are true friends. 

Just to be clear, I agreed with the sentiment, even if I could only watch snippets of the show because much as I sympathize with what Ariana's going through, her inability to enunciate her words is still incredibly grating and painful to listen to. But yes, she and Miley were adorable and my understanding is that they are actually friends. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, GaT said:

I'm really surprised by this song by Niall Horan, called Slow Hands. It's not what I would expect, I like it.

 

 

Sounds like Dirty Laundry from Don Henley.  He's quite an up and coming songwriter.

Share this post


Link to post

I don't like Coldplay, & I don't like The Chainsmokers, so why do I love this song?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I like that song, too, but I liked it when the Chainsmokers originally used that beat on their song "Roses." (Which is IMO a better song.) 

Share this post


Link to post

I've never listened to Miley Cyrus before. Is it just me, or is she a bit flat in terms of vocals?

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, Joe said:

I've never listened to Miley Cyrus before. Is it just me, or is she a bit flat in terms of vocals?

yeah she's not a brilliant vocalist (though by no means the weakest we've got out there atm)

at the Manchester Love concert I thought Little Mix blew everyone else out of the water, performance-wise. They're the least known of the acts there and their styling is kinda tragic but those girls can sing and seem to be good performers too. I never gave them much thought but they really impressed me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, cpcathy said:

Funny, I thought Coldplay blew everyone out of the water with their performance.

Agreed. I did enjoy Little Mix but that's because they performed my favorite song of theirs. But yeah I thought Coldplay really stood out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I like Miley Cyrus's voice, but "Malibu" has too many words and no hook.

My favorite by her is still The Climb.  She had a bit more of a country twang and it suited her, imo.  Plus, I like the lyrics.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

Funny, I thought Coldplay blew everyone out of the water with their performance.

that's true, they were great as always. But I'm used to them being good performers so maybe that's why I focused on the girls. They surprised me, cause I hadn't seen them perform before.

Share this post


Link to post

I've come here to ask people who like rap whether this is good or not. I really like Sahyba Kaur's singing, & the song is very catchy, but Nick Cannon rapping sounds truly horrible to me. Is it just me, or is he that bad?



Share this post


Link to post
On 6/5/2017 at 1:34 PM, truthaboutluv said:

YMMV but no. Appreciating a different sound and culture involves experimenting with a different sound, working with certain producers, artists, etc. It's not changing your entire wardrobe, way of speaking, point of reference and basically going extremely far left to what you were before. Basically it's the same issue some are having right now with Drake and his use of Jamaican/Dance Hall music in his songs. It's not that he's experimenting with a new sound that's the problem. It's that suddenly he now has some fake Jamaican accent, trying to talk with some faux patios, etc. It's insulting. 

Years ago, Rosie O'Donnell did a bit in her act about having seen Tina Turner win one of her many Grammy awards, and how when she came up to the stage to give her acceptance speech, her accent was very different than when she first started out; "Isn't Tina Turner from Tennessee? When did she decide she was from the British West Indies?"

As for the rest of it, I think Rihanna's way ahead of Miley Cyrus in terms of the use of sexuality in her music, and it's just as damaging. If only because I think Rihanna's more talented and a better singer, but I don't think we should gloss over Miley's having picked up the idea that that kind of stuff works when it comes to selling music. I don't dispute that she's an annoying little twit, and that like Bieber she underwent a radical image change in the hopes it would disguise her shortcomings as an artist, but is it any less insulting to see Rihanna do it than it is for anyone else?

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Years ago, Rosie O'Donnell did a bit in her act about having seen Tina Turner win one of her many Grammy awards, and how when she came up to the stage to give her acceptance speech, her accent was very different than when she first started out; "Isn't Tina Turner from Tennessee? When did she decide she was from the British West Indies?"

As for the rest of it, I think Rihanna's way ahead of Miley Cyrus in terms of the use of sexuality in her music, and it's just as damaging. If only because I think Rihanna's more talented and a better singer, but I don't think we should gloss over Miley's having picked up the idea that that kind of stuff works when it comes to selling music. I don't dispute that she's an annoying little twit, and that like Bieber she underwent a radical image change in the hopes it would disguise her shortcomings as an artist, but is it any less insulting to see Rihanna do it than it is for anyone else?

I am not sure what this comment has to do with my comment you quoted. The issue was not about Miley's being over the top sexual. It's that when she decided she was going more urban and hip hop with her sound, she suddenly took on this very over the top vulgar persona, as if that's all the genre is. Whatever flaws Rihanna has, I have seen no indication that she isn't true to who she is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Years ago, Rosie O'Donnell did a bit in her act about having seen Tina Turner win one of her many Grammy awards, and how when she came up to the stage to give her acceptance speech, her accent was very different than when she first started out; "Isn't Tina Turner from Tennessee? When did she decide she was from the British West Indies?"

I'd hardly call Turner's evolving accent an affectation (via comparison to the Bieber example), rather than simply a natural result of her lifestyle -- she divided her time between the U.S. and Europe back then, living in several different cities (more often in Europe than here; she was HUGE there, and the man who would become her husband was German, often working in London), eventually moving full-time to Switzerland (she's not even a U.S. citizen anymore).

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×