Type keyword(s) to search

The Sounds of Our Lives (formerly General Music Discussion)

• Start Topic

I found myself watching a 2016 performance of Holiday in Cambodia. And Jello Biafra changed a word! The original is 'Braggin' that you know, how the nwords feel cold'. Now it's blacks.

I get the change. I'm in favour of it. It's coming from the man who wrote and sung NZ Punks Fuck Off.  But here's the thing. To my ears, it doesn't sound quite right. It's like Happy birthday dear Bob. One syllable instead of two.

On the funny side, since when did punk go all politically correct? What happened to the music of rebellion?

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I haven't listened to it in eons, but I have an Erasure greatest hits CD, too.  I love "A Little Respect" and several others.  I should play that again.

I love that song, too :). I'd not heard that other Erasure song before, but I liked it, thanks for sharing the link, @JustHereForFood :). 

Here's another song with the same title that's equally as relatable:

• Love 2

I've been listening to French cafe music lately. It is a little more sophisticated than the pop music I normally gravitate too, but still feel good vibes.

Michael Jackson was my all-time favorite music artist for the longest time. I feel strange saying I'm a fan of his after watching the documentary. 

Do you all still listen to his music? Would you call yourselves fans?

On 9/4/2021 at 12:26 AM, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

The world has waited almost 40 years for beautiful music to come back, We Love Abba! The world needs Abba, this song is beautiful.

Wow.  To come back after 40 years with this kind of quality is truly amazing.  It's like they never left.  Those 2 songs hit all the right emotional beats for me.  Abba doesn't need the money or the fame with this new album.  They just came back for the love of music and for their fans.  What a beautiful gift to the fans. 

Edited by Thomas Crown
  • Love 2

To any subscribers, some may think it is still too early, but for those that do not, SiriusXM has officially brought back their holiday music channels, including Holly, Rockin' Xmas, Hallmark Christmas Radio, and at least seven other holiday-themed stations.

(Just type "holiday" in the search box and the channels will pop up!)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Anyone else a fan of Jewel? I always thought she had some pretty songs, but when I was younger I was more into powerhouse vocalists. 

It took me awhile to really appreciate Jewel's sound, but her voice is now one of my favorites. It's soothing yet uplifting. It's sexy but also angelic. I can't think of anyone else like her. She's also beautiful, and her story is inspiring. 

• Love 3

I definitely liked a lot of Jewel's stuff back in the day, yeah :). I had her Pieces of You album at one time. She had a very unusual writing style, which I liked. 

This was always my favorite song of hers:

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Annber03 said:

I definitely liked a lot of Jewel's stuff back in the day, yeah :). I had her Pieces of You album at one time. She had a very unusual writing style, which I liked. 

This was always my favorite song of hers:

Yes! That's another good one. I even like her Lullaby album. 

• Love 1
On 9/4/2021 at 12:26 AM, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

The world has waited almost 40 years for beautiful music to come back, We Love Abba! The world needs Abba, this song is beautiful.

I'm one of those that bought a physical copy of the album (yeah I'm that old 😀) and I'm very happy that the Band got their first Grammy nomination with this song.  It's a well deserved nomination IMO but also I also think that it's more of an apology from the academy for them not recognizing the genius of Abba's music in the 70s.  

I'm still amazed at the overall quality of this Album.  Truly a gift for Abba fans. 

• Love 2

In 1994 Billy Connolly produced a six part series on the BBC called The World Tour of Scotland, and it was something I really enjoyed watching with my dad. We have little in common but he was really pleased to see me enjoying Billy Connolly's humour.

The music that closed each episode was Billy's cover of Irish Heartbeat, by Van Morrison, complete with pipe band and backing singers. I found it incredibly moving then, as Billy's ode to his homeland, and find it even more moving now.

There's just so much heart and warmth and joy in this rendition.

A lot of people hate the sound of bagpipes, but when they're played like this I honestly think there are few better sounds in the world.

Edited by Danny Franks

I am currently reading a large, coffee table-style book about the Carpenters' musical legacy. It goes into great detail of all the albums, singles, B-sides, and previously unreleased material. There are press releases, letters and tons of gorgeous photos. While reading it, I was just struck at how deep their musical catalog really is, how timeless their musical catalog has proven to be, and gorgeous voice aside - how Karen paved the way for female drummers. Richard is credited as a co-author and his commentary throughout enriches the reading experience, and listening to their music while reading the book is doubly rewarding.

51pvG23BvYS._AC_SY780_.jpg

• Love 3

Dua Lipa Sued for Allegedly Ripping Off 'Levitating' from Reggae Band

the two songs do sound awfully similar, especially the chorus. Different lyrics, obviously, but the beat comes across as damn near the same -- and Artikal obviously felt strong enough about this to sue.

Normally when I listen to the 2 songs involved in cases like this I really have to strain to hear the similarities. This time there was no problem hearing them.

• Love 1

I like both songs, but as said, all that is similar is the title. Makes me think less of Vince Vance and the Valiants, especially suing at such a late date. Where was this outrage in freaking 1994?!

Will they sue Foghat next, which also had a Christmas song with that title?!

Is there not a time limit on how long you can wait before suing over something like that? Even if not a legal time limit, would you not at this point have to prove that you had a good reason for waiting 30 years, or prove that it only became problematic now?

• Love 1

So, in the world of music, apparently Queen has released a "new" song. With the late, great Freddie Mercury on vocals. It was apparently a track recorded in 1988, left off of the album the band was recording.

Besides Freddie Mercury, it also involves guitarist John Deacon, who left the band not long after Freddie died.

So, in essence, it is the first song with all members in 34 years. The video was put up just yesterday (10/13/2022) and already has over 2 million views! From what I read, it will be released as a digital single. The title is "Face It Alone". If you're curious and want to give a listen, here you go. So surreal to hear Freddie Mercury sing a "new" song after all this time!

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Finally Enough Love by Madonna is the only album I’ve listened to that came out this year.  It’s close to 4 hours long.  Remixes of all her number 1 dance songs.

Id recommend for all fans.  I like it.  If I had more room I might by the album or record.  It was kinda cool to see a record of it for sale in Target this weekend.

Reminded me of a being kid when there was a vhs tape or what not I found appealing in an actual store.  Lost art these days 

So, for a while I've been compiling a list of best of [insert artist here]. And, here I am listening to 10th Pink Floyd album 'Animals', and it got me thinking. Either I put all of their music in best of or none of their music, because here's the gist: they have lot of long songs, but I only like parts of those long songs, and only a couple of them is divided in to parts I, II etc. Like, for example, Dogs: I like small fractions of it, but it's not divided in to parts (bummer for me). Do I put it in best of or not? And this is a dilemma with their albums composed of long songs. :D

1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

That Pink Floyd reunion is just around the corner:

FYI: Polly Samson is David Gilmour's wife.

That's depressing. Always frustrating when great creators turn out to be terrible people.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I grew up on Michael Jackson, and to this day, no other artists’ songs, performances, or videos compare. 

I have mixed thoughts when it comes to listening to a problematic artist, but I definitely prefer to listen to decent people. Any artists you all recommend to me? I’ve had a hard time finding such quality pop music and replacing my favorite artist ever. I’m open to other genres as well.

I know there is a trend now of artists re-recording and re-releasing their back catalogs, and in cases like Taylor Swift, who did not own her first iterations, I get why.

But to just re-record because - hey, why not?!, I really don't get the point.

Such is the case with U2 and their "new" album, Songs of Surrender. I have heard a few of the re-imagined tracks on U2X Radio on SiriusXM, and - for me - none of them even come close to touching their original counterparts.

The newer version of All I Want Is You with basic organ accompaniment is fine, as an example, but again, for me, the passion and desperation in the original Rattle and Hum version is absent.

But the band has re-recorded tracks for this release over the span of their many albums, including One, Electrical Storm, Pride (In The Name of Love), Bad, Beautiful Day, Stories For Boys, and more. About 40 or 41 of their songs were redone for this project.

I guess it is interesting to hear takes of songs from men now in their 60s versus how these songs were interpreted/created when in their 20s and 30s, but then I wonder why not move forward instead of going in reverse?

If you are a fan of U2 or even a casual listener of their work and want to compare, someone on YT has made a playlist of the album with the re-recorded tracks:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEpjZ6a3i26f7VrD7Ts77FD0W2m7U5Y_6

• Like 2

Thanks for the link! I definitely want to check this out at some point - I've yet to hear any of the new recordings, so it'll be interesting to do a compare/contrast between these and the original versions. 

• Like 1
On 3/24/2023 at 1:07 AM, WendyCR72 said:

I know there is a trend now of artists re-recording and re-releasing their back catalogs, and in cases like Taylor Swift, who did not own her first iterations, I get why.

But to just re-record because - hey, why not?!, I really don't get the point.

Kind of reminds me of George Lucas who meddles with his original Star Wars film and adds stuff to it because he has the money and technology to do so.  Maybe some singers want to change things up because they always wanted to do something different with it they couldn't do when they originally recorded it.

On 3/24/2023 at 1:07 AM, WendyCR72 said:

I guess it is interesting to hear takes of songs from men now in their 60s versus how these songs were interpreted/created when in their 20s and 30s, but then I wonder why not move forward instead of going in reverse?

I agree with this.  They are in their 60s and grandparent age now.  Their perspective on the world is different than it was 30+ years ago.    You can't sing about youthful rebellion in leather pants forever.

• Like 3

Since getting Spotify I'm rediscovering music I hadn't listened to in quite awhile like Savage Garden. At one time I wished they had released more than 2 albums then kind of moved on. I've read some articles recently that were kind of alluding to it not being a good working relationship near the end even though it wasn't said directly.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 1

I'm watching some performances at Coachella live on YouTube. I had to take a 2nd look when I was first browsing the lineups for each stage when I saw Blondie listed. I had no idea that Debbie Harry is 77. I thought late 60's at most not 10 years older than that. She looked like she was in her 20's in the early 80's from everything I've seen of Blondie at that time.

• Like 4

2024 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees are announced!

The two that stand out, Cher and Ozzy. While I'm not into Cher's music, she's been an icon as long as I can remember. And Ozzy? He helped create a whole genre! Heavy metal may have formed without the original four members of Black Sabbath, but not in the form we recognise today.

In fact, I'm a little surprised that neither Ozzy or Cher were in before.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1