Type keyword(s) to search

The Sounds of Our Lives (formerly General Music Discussion)

• Start Topic

(edited)

Maybe I have my genres mixed up but I do not hear adult contemporary in P!nk's music. She's solidly pop/rock. While I get the sentiments of "been there, done that" for me, as long as the music is still good, which it is in my opinion and she still puts on a hell of a show, I'm fine with what she's giving.

I loved her latest album and I loved that she surpassed her label's expectations, selling almost 500,000 copies in the first week, a huge feat in this day and age where unless your name is Adele or Taylor Swift, you're lucky to sell 200,000 in opening week. And especially impressive considering this is her seventh studio album and she's coming up onto almost 20 years of being on the music scene. 

And frankly, in my opinion, I feel like P!nk hasn't gotten nearly the credit and accolades she deserves, especially in comparison to some of her female contemporaries who have so many awards/accolades and who I feel she goes toe to toe with performance wise and many who she outshines vocally. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 9

I think Pink seems like a pretty cool person, and I don't mind her style of music in and of itself. My big problem is that whenever she has a new song out it often gets played TO DEATH, and after a while it's just like, "Okay, can we take a bit of a break with this song now?" I think my big exception in that regard is"Get This Party Started"-they played the crap out of that song back in the day, yes, but it's just too fun

(My favorite song by her is "Who Knew?", though. The lyrics are so bittersweet-I always get a bit choked up when I hear that one.) 

• Love 2
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I think Pink seems like a pretty cool person, and I don't mind her style of music in and of itself. My big problem is that whenever she has a new song out it often gets played TO DEATH, and after a while it's just like, "Okay, can we take a bit of a break with this song now?" I think my big exception in that regard is"Get This Party Started"-they played the crap out of that song back in the day, yes, but it's just too fun

Ha and you know what's funny, I kind of don't really love Get This Party Started, as much of a fan of hers as I am. I know it was the song that catapulted her and the album but yeah, never been a huge fan of it. As for her songs being played to death, while I can see how that's annoying, the flip-side is that means she's still relevant enough to be played to death on radio. Plus, I almost never listen to radio since personalized playlists/streaming became a thing so I wouldn't even know how any song does on radio. 

Yeah Who Knew is amazing. Some of my other favorites are Fuckin Perfect (I get a bit choked up when she gets choked up singing this in her recent shows, especially when she gets to the line, "Mistaken, always second guessing/Underestimated, look, I'm still around"), Sober, Try, Blow Me One Last Kiss, Just Like A Pill and Raise Your Glass. Raise Your Glass is for me what Get This Party Started is for a lot of people. I can't hear that song and not get up and dance and sing along really loudly. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Ha and you know what's funny, I kind of don't really love Get This Party Started, as much of a fan of hers as I am. I know it was the song that catapulted her and the album but yeah, never been a huge fan of it. As for her songs being played to death, while I can see how that's annoying, the flip-side is that means she's still relevant enough to be played to death on radio. Plus, I almost never listen to radio since personalized playlists/streaming became a thing so I wouldn't even know how any song does on radio. 

Yeah, I don't fault Pink on that part of things, obviously-that's the fault of radio for lacking any sort of variety nowadays and playing the same 200 songs (if that) over and over. I still listen to radio occasionally-when I worked at a data entry place they'd have the local top 40 station on throughout the day (they alternated between that and a local country station), so I heard a lot of whatever was popular then as a result, and my dad worked as a radio DJ, and at various types of stations, top 40 ones included. So I still kinda find myself in the habit of flipping on the radio sometimes in the car as a result. 

But yeah, the way radio works nowadays, it's great for any artists who can still get airplay on it, but it's also that much easier for listeners to get burned out with the overplay, too.

25 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Ha and you know what's funny, I kind of don't really love Get This Party Started, as much of a fan of hers as I am. I know it was the song that catapulted her and the album but yeah, never been a huge fan of it.

Same here.  I like most of her songs, and think she's a terrific live performer, so I like her a lot.  But I skip over that one.

• Love 1

I don't think Pink has an adult contemporary sound, but I got burnt out on her self-empowerment message songs.  Once I hit the age of 30, I just didn't care about that kind of song, anymore, and Pink has her share of them.  I agree that her singles are WAY overplayed; I couldn't hear "My love...my love, my love, my drug" on the radio at work without getting annoyed.  Pink is an artist whose better songs are never released as singles, in my opinion.  I can happily listen to one of her albums and skip through the radio-friendly, overkill ones.  She's got talent, and I do enjoy her.

I wish Demi the best.  I have a soft spot for her, and I really want her to do well.  She seems sincere in what she is doing.

• Love 2

As an '80s child, I apparently only saw the freaky video for Only You by Yaz (Yazoo) and never managed to see what the singer looked like. Imagine my shock when I saw a clip of them on Top of the Pops and discovered a woman was behind that voice. Always thought it was a guy!

giphy.gif

• Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Allison Moyet, right?

Yeah. Fabulous voice, male or female! LOL. I guess this is what all those folks who suddenly discover the Bee Gees are men feel like. 

Edited by Jeebus Cripes
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

Yeah. Fabulous voice, male or female! LOL. I guess this is what all those folks who suddenly discover the Bee Gees are men feel like. 

That's pretty funny. 

On 5/3/2018 at 12:33 PM, 27bored said:

Ugh...

I love Christina and I’m glad she’s back, but I’m tired of this bullshit.

In this article she’s complaining about how confined she felt doing the Boice and how they would tell her how to dress and how to act. Christina, that’s called TV. If you want to make six figures for a few hours of work a week and barely promote your music and not tour and go home every night and marry production assistants and have two kids, that’s what you have to do. 

She sounds just like she did when she was twenty and promoting Stripped. Except now she’s 37 and still acting like her dad won’t let her wear a midriff to the mall. 

I don't think she'll be missed that much.  She was an okay coach and an awesome singer, but, what amazes me is that she was restricted in what she could wear on that show! REALLY?  Man, the stuff she came on with....lots of skin, low, short, wild,....I would think that it would bother her more to have to pretend that the winner is going to be a superstar from that show than it would have her clothing style monitored. 

I watched the E! True Hollywood Story on Karen Carpenter for the first time in years last night on YouTube, and of course I was weeping by the end of it.

• Love 2
On 6/27/2018 at 2:08 AM, Jeebus Cripes said:

I thought Chris Brown was a woman back when he first got popular.

• Love 1

Is anyone familiar with Greta Van Fleet?  I saw them on with Fallon last night and I'm trying to figure them out. I've read that they are Zeppelin influenced, but, it seems more like an impersonation.  

6 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Is anyone familiar with Greta Van Fleet?  I saw them on with Fallon last night and I'm trying to figure them out. I've read that they are Zeppelin influenced, but, it seems more like an impersonation.  

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

• Love 1
(edited)
30 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Oh, no.  I'm a fan of tribute bands.  I've actually seen a few and loved it.  But, I'm not sure that's what they are.....I just can't figure it out.  I mean.....I know my Robert Plant and the lead vocalist in this band is wearing the same type clothes, putting the same inflection in his voice, same stance, same head tilt, hairstyle, turns, etc. And the lead guitarist is doing a good job of a Jimmy Page performance too.  lol  The crowd loved it, but, I'm not sure if they know what Zeppelin looked and sounded like.   

The world can never get too much Zeppelin.  I thought Greta sounded really good. 

Even their song, When The Curtain Falls.......the title reminded me of When The Levy Breaks...lol.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
19 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Oh, no.  I'm a fan of tribute bands.  I've actually seen a few and loved it.  But, I'm not sure that's what they are.....I just can't figure it out.  I mean.....I know my Robert Plant and the lead vocalist in this band is wearing the same type clothes, putting the same inflection in his voice, same stance, same head tilt, hairstyle, turns, etc. And the lead guitarist is doing a good job of a Jimmy Page performance too.  lol  The crowd loved it, but, I'm not sure if they know what Zeppelin looked and sounded like.   

The world can never get too much Zeppelin.  I thought Greta sounded really good. 

Even their song, When The Curtain Falls.......the title reminded me of When The Levy Breaks...lol.

I know about them because the peeps on the Led Zeppelin forum I hang out on seem to love them.  Can't say I'm familiar with their work, but watching this, it certainly is a lot like Zep.  A lot.  And yeah, that's not a bad thing, but still, you'd think they'd want to stand out on their own a bit.   A coworker went to see them last weekend and said the first part of the show was great, the end was great (I think they played the song they played on Fallon as the encore), but the middle of the show seemed to sound the same.  All the songs ran together.  He thinks because they're all so young, they need more experience in how to actually entertain an audience.  They have lots of talent.  Hope they can pull it all together. 

• Love 1

There was an article written about Gwen Stefani and her public image (from No Doubt's earliest fame years onward) recently that I thought was absolutely spot on. Fair warning: the author, Anne Helen Petersen, often gets criticized for making her articles too long, and this one is certainly no exception (not that I have any room to talk); she also was criticized some months ago in the Everything Else Movies forum for an article she wrote about Arnie Hammer (full disclosure: I haven't yet read that one). However, I'm a huge fan of hers and love her work, and I think she did a great job here.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/annehelenpetersen/gwen-stefani-no-doubt-blake-shelton-the-voice#.ap1aLkb1mK

• Love 1
On 7/31/2018 at 7:01 PM, UYI said:

There was an article written about Gwen Stefani and her public image (from No Doubt's earliest fame years onward) recently that I thought was absolutely spot on. Fair warning: the author, Anne Helen Petersen, often gets criticized for making her articles too long, and this one is certainly no exception (not that I have any room to talk); she also was criticized some months ago in the Everything Else Movies forum for an article she wrote about Arnie Hammer (full disclosure: I haven't yet read that one). However, I'm a huge fan of hers and love her work, and I think she did a great job here.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/annehelenpetersen/gwen-stefani-no-doubt-blake-shelton-the-voice#.ap1aLkb1mK

I used to really like Gwen Stefani, but over time she started to get on my nerves & now I can't stand her. She's still slogging that Harajuku crap, & all her songs are so "poor me". She just bugs me.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 2

A very early version of the Eagles' most unusual song, "Journey of the Sorcerer". This is from a live show in Boston in June of 1975, before One of These Nights was even out.

• Love 1
On 6/23/2018 at 12:10 AM, Annber03 said:

(My favorite song by Pink is "Who Knew?", though. The lyrics are so bittersweet-I always get a bit choked up when I hear that one.) 

Man!  I'd say a year after being blindsided by the end of a 17 year friendship I heard the lyrics on a bus going home....and the tears started flowing, there was no way to act cool so I just let them flow.

Every...damned...lyric was exactly how I was feeling, even now it is hard to hear that song.

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 4

And, happy 70th birthday to The Golden God, Robert Plant!  SiriusXM is rerunning 2 specials with him today on Deep Tracks - Artist Confidential recorded in 2005 (on now) and a Town Hall (recorded...I'm not sure when) at 4pm Eastern (the Real Time Zone!). 

• Love 1
On 8/16/2018 at 3:30 PM, Vixenstud said:

Man!  I'd say a year after being blindsided by the end of a 17 year friendship I heard the lyrics on a bus going home....and the tears started flowing, there was no way to act cool so I just let them flow.

Every...damned...lyric was exactly how I was feeling, even now it is hard to hear that song.

My all-time favorite P!nk song. And I like it whether she sings it full rock or acoustically. It’s just beautiful. 

Ok I freaking give up. The video is unavailable and I can’t get to delete and my browser keeps crashing because technology is great until it isn’t so I’m just going to leave this post as is. Beautiful song, great performance, I’m sorry about your friend ?.  Cheers. 

Edited by OllieSocks
Technology sucks
  • Love 1

Any 90s R&B fans? I don’t know why but I decided to go look for a live performance of Freak Like Me by Adina Howard and boy did I find it. I’m usually not creepy, but I gotta say, Adina had ass, ladies and gentlemen. Forget J. Lo and Beyoncé, and especially the clown butts of Nicki Minaj and Cardi B. 

Nice old-school performance:

• Love 1
On 8/20/2018 at 9:06 AM, UYI said:

Happy Birthday, Demi Lovato. Don't worry about being away for a long while, just take as much time as you need to get better.

Yeah, get well soon, Demi.

Speaking of which, I wonder: is Demi this generation's Christina, or this generation's Jessica Simpson? Showbiz kid, model-y good looks, problematic dad, not really sales titans but enough to qualify as pop stars, both their voices have muted gospel/Contemporary Christian qualities to them but as pop stars they switch between the breathy baby-voice Britney thing and the diva-esque high notes, both play The Game but are kind of awkward fits as pop stars, talented enough to do different genres but aren't really auteurs.

For fun, listen to A Little Bit by Jessica Simpson, especially if you're cleaning. Jessica gets off some decent high notes towards the end.

You know the world is going through weird times when Todd not only has his worst list out early, but before the end of the year, and BEFORE CHRISTMAS!

Here's Mark's from Spectrum Pulse:

• Love 2

How the hell is Todd going to do a 'best of' list?  He didn't have many positive things to say about the music of 2018, not that I blame him.  I agree that music has  gotten pretty boring, in general.

22 hours ago, Sweet Summer Child said:

How the hell is Todd going to do a 'best of' list?  He didn't have many positive things to say about the music of 2018, not that I blame him.  I agree that music has  gotten pretty boring, in general.

One thing I've always noticed with him is that the less he mentions a current pop song on Twitter/during his show, the more likely it is to be on his best list. It's not a guaranteed theory, but there are definitely songs--some more embarrassing than others*--where I've noticed this with him over the years.

For one thing, I expect this list to be STACKED with Ariana songs, given how much he's liked her over the years, and this year she just fucking KILLED it. 

*My go-to example for this? "Birthday" by Katy Perry. Didn't breathe a word about it throughout 2014; it wound up on his best list. The Pollyanna in me kind of hopes he's forced to admit he likes "Whatever It Takes" by Imagine Dragons due to this theory, lol. 

Edited by UYI

How did I never know there is a Spanish version of "Mickey" performed by Toni Basil? (Listening right now on the 1st Wave channel on SiriusXM.) So weird. The music is still earwormy, even if I only understand about a quarter of it. (Thanks, Spanish classes!)

• Love 1