Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: We're Bad People

Annalise sits in jail as the DA's office compiles evidence against her. Meanwhile, the police try to figure out how Wes' body wound up in the house fire; and the remainder of the Keating 5 mourn the loss of one of their own.

Were it not for the amazing one-liners tonight ("Had those Malaysian tracks flowin'"), I would have been a wreck. The flashbacks of Wes with each character were great. I particularly loved his scenes with Annalise, Laurel and Michaela. But it just made me even more sad that he's dead now :-/

Fuck Connor. I'm glad Asher punched his whiny, annoying ass.

What's Oliver gonna do with that flash drive?

Damn, Annalise's last scene in prison was demoralizing, disheartening and depressing.

And it's got to be hard for Bonnie to see Annalise like that. 

Solid return episode.

Still processing.

• Love 21

Did Asher and Connor know Wes and Laurel had been sleeping together? Because I thought they did, but they were acting like they did.

So the medical examiner is lying on the official autopsy. I'm no doctor, but it seems really unlikely she'd think he was dead first and then discover she was wrong. The obvious guess would be that he died in the fire, so there must have been something pretty strong that made her say that to Nate in the fall finale.

• Love 9

I just want more Michaela, more Michaela/Asher and even more of her mama Pratt. Where the hell is that "mother" of hers? I know she supposedly went home with that plane ticket, but I'm side eyeing that too.

The flashbacks were great, particularly the Wes/Michaela, Wes/Connor, so that's what's going on with Connor. 

But the acting was great all around tonight, it was a good episode.

This railroading of Anna is boiling my blood.

And thank you Meggie for pointing out that everyone has their own way of grieving, I CANNOT stand people who judge others grieving as NOT ENOUGH. Now beating people up is a no, no, because it's violence and you should apologize for saying insensitive shit, I'm looking at you Connor. But if I'm not shedding tears, you stay the hell out of my face, you have no idea what I'm feeling and in my grief, I don't owe you any explanations. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 4

I am also still processing. All I know is that I actually feel bad that Wes is dead. I should have figured that having his presence still around even after his death would be hard. I think that having him around this last half of the season is going to be interesting, especially to see how they use Alfie. Whether it's through memories, hallucinations, or dream sequences, he's going to be the major emotional component.

Yeah, Connor was an ass, and I'm still convinced he saw Wes right before his death. I'm glad Asher punched him, and I'm not on Michaela's side. So Asher go angry and punched Connor. He was out of line. I don't know what's going on with Connor but they better have some good explanations for his behaviour. He's self destructing in the worst way. Also, Oliver was being a hypocrite. He broke up with Connor, was also an ass to him, and now is going to be there for him? Really? 

Now the only question is if Wes died from smoke inhalation, or he was really dead before the fire. I guess the medical examiner was bribed to lie, maybe by the lawyers. It could be that there is evidence against Annalise being the killer so the lawyers decided to lie to incriminate her. 

I wonder who Laurel saw run out of the basement. It probably wasn't Frank, as he seems to only be confessing to atone for his sins or whatever, but it seems like Laurel could have seen a man run out. 

The flashbacks with Wes were nice; I was convinced several times that they were dream sequences because of the lighting. 

Viola Davis is spectacular; I enjoyed the prison scenes not even just for her, but for her inmate roommates. 

• Love 8

Yeah, Atwood is annoying as fuck, though she is less of a cartoon than Sinclair. I wouldn't be surprised if she dies before the end of this season.

Re Frank's confession, it's an obvious red herring. I'm also not sure the reveal that Wes really died because of the fire is to be trusted. 

• Love 11

Oh no, this episode feels like now all of the brightly lit Wes flashbacks are going to be showing him as Saint Wes. I have this fear because I'm watching This Is Us that utilizes flashbacks and the father there who we know is dead is always presented as a saint in flashbacks.  

Im thinking Oliver is somehow responsible for the fire....not intending deaths but wanting to be part of the Annalise "crew" before realizing how deep this all goes.

Speaking of Oliver, didn't he do the scrubbing of the phones at the lab, but then called them up on a computer at his house and then transferred the files to a thumb drive?  I know very little about technology, but wouldn't he leave a big trail doing that?

• Love 1

Aside from the "random", fluffy flashbacks of Wes I enjoyed this.  Can't wait for the rest of the season.  

ETA: I know they weren't really random, but just not needed.  All that info could have come out without these vignettes of a giddy-in-love Wes. Wow, he sure gets over a lot fast just because of Laurel, and I really like Laurel.  But the flashbacks did nothing to change my opinion or understanding of anyone.

• Love 1

Nice to see L. Scott Caldwell as Annalise's cellmate.  I loved her as Rose on Lost.

Connor was heartbreaking.

I can't decide if Oliver is a balless bitch, or shady as fuck.  His reluctance to go to the police and non-reaction/insta "forgiveness" of Connor was very suspect.  

• Love 4

Someone whose last name is Mahoney is the most likely murderer and one that could have enough money to bribe the ME.  Motive, means and what else?  Very soon we will be lead down all kinds of rabbit holes.  Now I'm suspecting the "nice" inmate of being planted in Annilise's cell.  God this show has made me paranoid.  My other suspect is the student that put up the posters accusing Annalise at the beginning of the season.  I initially thought he might be joining the Keating 5 but he is also someone that might have gone into the house and framed Analise.  Ollie is likely to become part of the Keating 5.  I'm happy to be seeing Wesley everywhere.  Oh, I've seen the nice inmate before.  She is an excellent actress so they probably do have plans for her.

• Love 1

Another thing, look, I'm all for Michaela helping Laurel out but if it's out of some guilt that she really didn't have that much of a connection to Wes and therefore, decided to focus on herself and she feels guilty, then I'm not interested at all.  Michaela has her own troubles and this  show keeps kicking her around in the love department, making a fucking fool out of her for about two seasons now and I'm sick of it. So I don't give a shit to see some misplaced guilt as the reason she's calling herself a bad person and is telling Laurel she'll be there for whatever she needs. Who the hell is ever going to be there for Michaela? I'm tired of this pattern. 

• Love 2

I wish I cared about Laurel and her baby story line, but I don't so...I'm about tired of Laurel being front and center quite frankly.

I'm all about how Asher's violence affected Michaela, glad she told him that she couldn't deal with it, wonder if she saw violence in that household she grew up in. I know she certainly saw drug addiction. He needs to be calm for her, his girlfriend, although, he's grieving in his own way as well.

That shit that Connor said was horrible, but I have no problem with him hating Wes whatsoever, none. I didn't hate Wes but I certainly rolled my eyes a number of times when he was on screen. /I'm with the writer of the review above, in that I kinda don't really care who killed Wes. I'm more interested in that fact that Connor's been in therapy, and that clearly he has a long way to go.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 5

The best: Asher beating up Connor. You cannot say that things of Wes in front of the woman who's pregnant of him and saw him dying.

We'll see what happens with Frank's confession and with Oliver. He seems ready to frame AK with that pen-drive

• Love 8

I don't know, but for some reason I just couldn't watch the episode, it was so boring, predictable and melodramatic (and not in a good sense) and I constantly had a feeling of deja vu. How can a show so cool and thrilling become so dull in an instant? (And no, I'm not a fan of Wes, and I think that to kill him off  was a good idea, it's just too late).

Yeah, Ana is being set up.  It'll be nice to see her triumph. And for a house to fall on that DA chick.

Nice way to continue to have Alfie Enoch on the show.  Since this show does wonky timelines all the time we'll obviously still be getting flashbacks to that night.

I thought the overly bright filming of Wes' scenes with Connor, Asher, Laurel and Michaela was an interesting choice.  But the one with Frank was blue tinted.  It seems like lighting was symbolic of the feelings of the people who was thinking about Wes. Yes, even Connor.  Even though he sounded like a total dismissive asshole/jerk I do think he did think of Wes as one of them.  But I have come to the conclusion that Connor is a man-child who is incredibly immature in so many ways that he doesn't know how to act, so he just acts out.  Meanwhile Frank has no feelings for Wes and his flashback showed it.

But back to Connor, I do find his behavior problematic.  He didn't need to shit over other people's feelings especially not someone in Laurel's predicament.  And once again he is shown as the taker in his friendship with Michaela.  I actually cheered Asher for beating his ass.  He needed it.

I will say that Wes got the two best lines of the night.

"If I wasn't so big, it wouldn't have broke."

and

Asher: 'Do you think I'm a racist?"

Wes "I just think you're white."

Ha.  Dead Wes got jokes!

• Love 21

Also that girl did not look like Michaela, but I guess that was part of the point. But do Norwalk and Rhimes think all black girls of certain hue and age range look alike? That scene annoyed me as did Wes's line of you're just white to Asher, STFU Wes, oh that's right, you have been permanently silenced; I'm thankful for that.  Asher acting like Wes was his close friend bugs the shit out of me. Wes never even looked like he acknowledged your fucking existence, the only people he cared about were Anna, at one time that Rebecca and Laurel.  Really Norwalk? I'm not saying Asher shouldn't care but please. But I digress, if you want to address unwelcomed ass/pussy groping, then hell yeah, that's damn sure appropriate especially with Pussy Grabber in Chief sitting in the Oval Office. But finding annoying, corny ways to address race, like they all (insert minority group here) look alike messages, bugs the shit out of me as a black woman.  

Now what that cellmate said to Anna about race, now, that's how you do it IMO.

By the way, based on the flashbacks did I hear correctly that Laurel knew she might be pregnant way before Wes's last day on earth? Were they not talking about her possibly being pregnant because she was late? I'm not sure because I don't pay that close of attention to Wes/Laurel scenes. But I thought that is what I heard and if so....that means she knew she might be pregnant when she was chugging down wine at the finals party, then she proceeded to take her drunk ass over to bum rush Michaela and her mom and decided to down shots there too. Now I think the experts say that a sip of wine won't hurt but she was chugging so...?

But now she's worried about medication hurting the baby? I don't get that girl, she bugs me and she didn't use to. I use to like her, I still kinda do, but... cut it out Norwalk. You need to drop the skill you picked up from Shonda on how to make a viewer go from loving/liking a character to completely loathing them, and never recovering. Please leave those lessons behind please. I haven't hated any regular characters on this show yet, annoyed by them yes, but that's OK for me. When I start loathing them as in hate to see them on screen as opposed to loving to hate watch them...yeah, not good. She's getting the Meredith Grey treatment, because I remember when I turned on that character, can't stand that show.  And again, note to writers, you don't have to make Michaela likable by having her be at Laurel's beck and call, I'm about to turn this show off for good, cut the shit. It looks like the same annoying crap you did with Cristina on Greys, tying her up with that mean girl Izzie's cancer story line, so you could say, look Cristina isn't cold (eye roll). Please, I don't need it, I love Michaela's I don't have time for the bullshit, especially when you steal rings and make a fool out of me. Michaela owes Laurel nothing and I sense guilt and it's pissing me off.  If she wants to be there for her as in she's one of the group fine, but I'm sensing guilt. Norwalk stop shitting all over my character please. Don't even get me started on Connor and his fucking ass, I'm starting to hate him like I hate Laurel, all Norwalk allows him to do is shit and walk all over Michaela and she takes it and hardly ever even tells his ass off.  Asher should have apologized for shaking up his girlfriend, which he did, but having Michaela ask him to say sorry to your precious fucking Connor pissed me off.  Yes, I've had time to let all this sink in, it's bullshit.  I can't go through Shondaland abusing another character I care about. 

I thought I may be able to stick it out for Viola, but I'm not sure about that anymore, if they keep this up.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 1

The ME is on the take, that much is clear. But I hope Nate figures it out and exposes his corrupt little DA girlfriend.

I still think in my heart that Wes was Annalise's son, a secret child she had and gave away to his mother. 

Oliver is the key to all of this, he may be the one person to bring it all down.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Viola Davis is spectacular; I enjoyed the prison scenes not even just for her, but for her inmate roommates. 

I agree.  For some reason I found myself liking the prison scenes. 

And I have a feeling that DA will be the next one who ends up dead.

1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

I thought the overly bright filming of Wes' scenes with Connor, Asher, Laurel and Michaela was an interesting choice.  But the one with Frank was blue tinted.  It seems like lighting was symbolic of the feelings of the people who was thinking about Wes. Yes, even Connor.  Even though he sounded like a total dismissive asshole/jerk I do think he did think of Wes as one of them.  But I have come to the conclusion that Connor is a man-child who is incredibly immature in so many ways that he doesn't know how to act, so he just acts out.  Meanwhile Frank has no feelings for Wes and his flashback showed it.

I loved those overly bright scenes of Wes with everybody, and you're right, the last scene was Frank was blue tinted, because Frank didn't care about Wes at all, all he cares about is Analise. 

30 minutes ago, Keepitmoving said:

you don't have to make Michaela likable by having her be at Laurel's beck and call

I'm confused because I didn't see this.  I think Michaela was being kind to Laurel.  The woman's in the hospital, pregnant and has just lost her boyfriend.  Michaela was just thinking of someone other than herself.

• Love 18

Do we know what specific injuries, or at least injury types, Laurel has?  I know she was in the explosion, so I expect her to be injured - just what is it?  Broken bones?  I don't see any casts.  Lots of major contusions and cuts or shrapnel?  They showing her in extreme pain, but I have no clue.  I see no cuts or scar or bandages or casts or braces.  It looks she has trouble sitting up so maybe something internal in the gut area.  I don't know why this is bugging me.  And if they said I obviously missed it.

• Love 5

I agree Connor should have apologized for what he said - I think it showed later talking to Oliver he realized he went too far.   But I do know people who after experiencing a loss like this, even if they weren't close to the person, mentally try to de-legitimize the person.  If Connor can tell himself that Wes is a horrible person, and the reason they ahve all these problems, etc. then he can avoid feelings on the issue of losing someone who, even if not a friend, was clearly a close acquaintance / part of his life for a year/year and a half.

That being said - I think Asher was in the right to hit him.  I am however, surprised no one's brought up Asher accusing Connor of being the one to kill Wes.  As far as we know (and correct me if I'm wrong, I'm a bit fuzzy) - the only members of the K5 who have killed someone are Wes (Sam) and Asher (the DA).  Punch Connor for being a dick.  He deserved that.  But to start saying "you're not grieving or sad the way I think you should be, so you killed him" isn't appropriate, and I think Asher is getting a pass because people are focusing on being mad at Connor. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

thought the overly bright filming of Wes' scenes with Connor, Asher, Laurel and Michaela was an interesting choice.  But the one with Frank was blue tinted.  It seems like lighting was symbolic of the feelings of the people who was thinking about Wes.

I see it two ways: I do see your view and I agree that lighting is everything. But also the flashforwards, or in this case the flashbacks, have always had the blue tinting whenever important information is revealed. So while the Wes/Keating Four scenes were shot in bright lighting, they weren't important to the overall Who Killed Wes mystery. The part with Frank, however, was. 

1 minute ago, NodakFan said:

That being said - I think Asher was in the right to hit him.  I am however, surprised no one's brought up Asher accusing Connor of being the one to kill Wes.  As far as we know (and correct me if I'm wrong, I'm a bit fuzzy) - the only members of the K5 who have killed someone are Wes (Sam) and Asher (the DA).  Punch Connor for being a dick.  He deserved that.  But to start saying "you're not grieving or sad the way I think you should be, so you killed him" isn't appropriate, and I think Asher is getting a pass because people are focusing on being mad at Connor. 

True. I read it in another way, in that Asher was being the audience in that moment. I think we all had our suspicions about Connor after the mid season finale, in that he had something to do with Wes' death. I think it was also a way to just acknowledge that Connor could have a hand in it, or at the very least he had seen Wes. But I do agree that Asher shouldn't have accused Connor of killing Wes. Again, though, grief does cause people to do and say things that are out of line. 

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I'm confused because I didn't see this.  I think Michaela was being kind to Laurel.  The woman's in the hospital, pregnant and has just lost her boyfriend.  Michaela was just thinking of someone other than herself.

Michaela has no problems thinking of someone other than herself as far as I'm concerned. She wanted to over step Bonnie and call Maggie the night before to see if she could get them in to see Laurel. My point is I don't need a heavy handed showing of her falling all over herself to take care of Laurel because of some guilt over not caring about Wes all that much when he was alive. Wes didn't give a shit about her either, he cared about three people so the feeling was mutual and I'm glad that was pointed out in their flashback scene. I'm glad Michaela got to say back to him well you don't come to me either so, as in, why do I have to take the initiative here. So if guilt is where this is coming from, I'm not here for it.  And I got that impression when they had her say she was a bad person, that pissed me the fuck off, I'm getting so turned off from this show. It's starting to seriously happen. Then I gotta hear Laurel tell her that she's not, I don't need Laurel telling Michaela that she's not a bad person, totally rubbed me the wrong way. Michaela is loving and giving to this viewer, too giving for that matter and I haven't seen a damn person give a shit about her.  All I've seen is her being played for a fool.  All I see is Norwalk punching the character in the face now for two damn seasons, now I gotta see her what? Take care of everyone, but herself? To prove what? I don't see Michaela as a mean girl, I don't see her as selfish, at all. I see her opening up her apartment though, to take in strays and I saw her justifiably not trust Laurel and get sick and tired of the latest bullshit that Wes had gotten them/himself into.  I saw her as the only one of them that gave a shit or a kind word to how Asher may have been feeling when his father was being investigated. I saw her being the only one who felt guilt and voiced it over Nate going to jail for them. That's why when she told Asher she was choosing to take care of herself I totally got what she was saying and didn't blame her one bit. Not to mention, I tied it in to what she was saying about her mother. I remember her seasons back telling the Keating-4 when shit was going down with Caleb that none of them bothered to call and see if she was OK, please, I'm tired of it. 

"you're not grieving or sad the way I think you should be, so you killed him" isn't appropriate, and I think Asher is getting a pass because people are focusing on being mad at Connor. 

Exactly, I posted this above, I cannot stand people who judge how other people grieve, fuck you.  As a matter a fact, even if I don't want to grieve that's my right. I had no problem with Connor saying he feels nothing, he doesn't. Maybe that will change, maybe it won't. And if it doesn't I'm fine with that as well, I hate that he feels like a bad person because of it, he shouldn't. Him saying that to Oliver seemed real, what he should feel bad about and think he does or at least realized he was very wrong, was to say that other shit in Laurel's hospital room.  But if I want to sit around and play video games while grieving and never shed a tear, who the fuck are you to judge it? 

And no one is asking you to keep your feelings in Asher, just don't let them come through your fist and land on other people's person. He pissed me off once again bringing up Michaela's mother, she's not your mother, and mother does not mean you are excused from the shit you do. If you are a bad or toxic enough mother you will deserve to be disowned by said child if need be. At the very least said child should keep a long distance between you and him/her if they are to survive and lead a healthy life and that's what Michaela did. Bye Asher, keep bringing up how you think Michaela should feel about anything having to do with her mother, keep it up. I'm tired of that shit too, especially since you overstepped boundaries and brought her mother into town.  I thought you said you wanted to be there for Michaela when you were pleading with her to have a serious relationship.  Well, I'm not seeing it. I see you whining about how she's not acting the way you think she should to death and a relationship with her  mother that you know NOTHING about. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

True. I read it in another way, in that Asher was being the audience in that moment. I think we all had our suspicions about Connor after the mid season finale, in that he had something to do with Wes' death. I think it was also a way to just acknowledge that Connor could have a hand in it, or at the very least he had seen Wes. But I do agree that Asher shouldn't have accused Connor of killing Wes. Again, though, grief does cause people to do and say things that are out of line. 

I think the bolded was the point of the whole episode, people deal with grief in different ways, and I think each of the characters dealt with it in a very in-character way.  Connor just got the short end of the draw based on his past development.

Some people cry (Asher)

Some people go into care-taker mode (Michaela)

Some people lash out (Connor)

Some people go cold / angry (Laurel - as evidenced by her conversations with Bonnie and Frank)

Some people focus on work as a distraction (Meggie)

Some people evaluate their life / choices (Oliver)

Given what we know of the K4 + Oliver these are all completely in character and appropriate reactions (at least in my opinion)

• Love 15
23 minutes ago, Keepitmoving said:

Michaela has no problems thinking of someone other than herself as far as I'm concerned. She wanted to over step Bonnie and calle Maggie the night before to see if she could get them in to see Laurel. My point is I don't need a heavy handed showing of her falling all over herself to take care of Laurel because of some guilt over not caring about Wes all that much when he was alive. If that's where this is coming from not interested. Michaela is loving and giving to this viewer, too giving for that matter and I haven't seen a damn person give a shit about her.  All I've seen is her being played for a fool.  All I see is Norwalk punching the character in the face now for two damn seasons, now I gotta see her what? Take care of everyone, but herself? To prove what? I don't see Michaela as a mean girl, I don't see her as selfish, at all. I see her opening up her apartment though, to take in strays and I saw her justifiably not trust Laurel and get sick and tired of the latest bullshit that Wes had gotten them/himself into.  I saw her as the only one of them that gave a shit or a kind word to how Asher may have been feeling when his father was being investigated. I saw her being the only one who felt guilt and voiced it over Nate going to jail for them. That's why when she told Asher she was choosing to take care of herself I totally got what she was saying and didn't blame her one bit. Not to mention, I tied it in to what she was saying about her mother. I remember her seasons back telling the Keating-4 when shit was going down with Caleb that none of them bothered to call and see if she was OK, please, I'm tired of it. 

I see where you are coming from.   I feel Michaela has opened up as the show has progressed, she shows people more of her vulnerable side; she's not putting walls up anymore.

Michaela is one of those people you always think are okay, and because you think they're okay, you tend not to call them or get in touch with them, to ask if they're okay.  If you watch Michaela though, you can see she's not okay.

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I see where you are coming from.   I feel Michaela has opened up as the show has progressed, she shows people more of her vulnerable side; she's not putting walls up anymore.

Michaela is one of those people you always think are okay, and because you think they're okay, you tend not to call them or get in touch with them, to ask if they're okay.  If you watch Michaela though, you can see she's not okay.

Thanks.

I really do take offense to the constant writing of black female characters as not needing support and always taking charge. It doesn't ring true to this black woman and I'm tired of seeing it on my screen. It's fine for them to take charge, it's great for all women to take charge, but when it's constantly one sided and there is never anyone around to truly take care of them for a change so they can sit back, yeah, I'm done with it, it's not entertaining.  Hollywood continues to do this where black female characters are concerned, constantly. To me Michaela had every right not to initially let Asher nor any man in, the shit she's been through where men are concerned? Really?  Not to mention, Asher is extremely wet behind the ears, extremely, so once again, Michaela picks up the slack and has to pacify him and over explain herself and why she reacts to life situations the way she does. She has to constantly defend herself.  Of course she has a wall, it has been necessary for this character to have to survive and no way is it reasonable for that wall to come down that quickly because she's in this group. My issue is, her not having one character on board who can see, understand, accept this and be patient with her. Because that would the support that she needs and I don't see it, all I see is judgment and no warmth toward her.  All I see is people coming to her and taking, yet when she doesn't act like they want, she gets nothing but judgment.  WTF? That's all. Bye Shonda, just bye

However, on the other hand, they've managed to balance this out with their star character on the show. Anna is take charge but she also seems to have a support system that is literally willing to kill for her in order to protect her when she cannot take charge. I mean Bonnie and Frank have killed for her. Hell, Wes was wiping vomit out of her hair, her mamma comes around they argue but then she shows her support and puts her arms around her. And Nate no matter how much he bitches, keeps coming back too, to care for her.

When the fuck will Michaela get this? Because of course Viola would she's the star of the show, they're not going to mess with her. The show does fifteen episodes because she demanded it. They're not going to mess with Kerri Washington. But Shondaland keeps fucking over the Jerrika Hintons and Aja Kings in her world.  And I don't know what's up with that but it's a pattern.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 4

I really enjoyed this episode, and I'm optimistic about where this show can go in a post-Wes universe. I was always rather neutral on him, but I believe his death was effective and necessary, and I applaud Nowalk and his team for taking such a huge risk in killing him off.

We're also not only just in a post-Wes universe but a post-Keating house universe as well. It's really interesting to have a whole show (minus flashbacks) without that house, given how much time we've spent in it and all the significant moments that have happened there. Eliminating a core location in a show can be just as effective as killing off a major character, and I'm enjoying navigating through this change.

I loved how brightly lit the flashbacks with Wes were, because I think it speaks to people's tendency to think of the deceased in a more positive light than they may have when they were alive. We know Wes is no saint, but the characters are in the initial stages of grief and it makes sense that they'd be remembering Wes mostly fondly, even Connor. A lot of the flashbacks where almost too perfect, so they feel more like modified memories than what actually happened, and I liked that.

The scenes of Annalise in jail were excellent. Between her fear of using the bathroom in front of strangers and the older inmate recognizing her from court...great stuff.

I'm thinking that the medical examiner is on the take as well. Why bother to tell us that Wes probably died before the fire and then change it? Denver and Atwood are shady as fuck and will do anything to railroad Annalise. I don't trust this new information anymore than I trust Frank really being the one to kill Wes.

I can understand Michaela being upset with Asher punching Connor. Not just because Connor is, for all intents and purposes, her best friend, but because it can be terrifying for a woman to have a boyfriend so prone to snapping and lashing out in violent anger. And this isn't the first time something like this has happened; he literally killed a woman when he couldn't control his temper. I think she's afraid that she might someday say the wrong thing and he'll turn on her too.

That being said, I can't blame Asher for beating up on Connor. Jesus, I feel like I turned my back for one second and he became The Worst. I won't blame him for not really being sad about Wes dying and not showing any "normal" emotion about it...I think it's bullshit when people pretend to care more about the deceased than they really did just because the person is dead. But for him to be so flippant about his feelings in front of people who are grieving, especially Laurel, is such a dick move. Part of me hopes he did kill Wes just so that I have a good reason for wanting him to be the next person bumped off. He's insufferable.

12 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Did Asher and Connor know Wes and Laurel had been sleeping together? Because I thought they did, but they were acting like they did.

I think everyone always suspected there was some sort of spark between Wes and Laurel, but it seems like only Michaela knew that they were actually sleeping together (per her flashback with Wes). I think everyone else assumed that Laurel was still holding a torch for Frank (which she kind of was).

2 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

By the way, based on the flashbacks did I hear correctly that Laurel knew she might be pregnant way before Wes's last day on earth? Were they not talking about her possibly being pregnant because she was late? I'm not sure because I don't pay that close of attention to Wes/Laurel scenes. But I thought that is what I heard and if so....that means she knew she might be pregnant when she was chugging down wine at the finals party, then she proceeded to take her drunk ass over to bum rush Michaela and her mom and decided to down shots there too. Now I think the experts say that a sip of wine won't hurt but she was chugging so...?

From what I remember, it seems like Laurel at first worried that she could get pregnant because the condom broke (and she can't be on hormonal birth control), but then she brushed it off with a "I had my period last week, I'm sure it's fine." She probably found out about the pregnancy before her next period was late.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

Do we know what specific injuries, or at least injury types, Laurel has?  I know she was in the explosion, so I expect her to be injured - just what is it?  Broken bones?  I don't see any casts.  Lots of major contusions and cuts or shrapnel?  They showing her in extreme pain, but I have no clue.  I see no cuts or scar or bandages or casts or braces.  It looks she has trouble sitting up so maybe something internal in the gut area.  I don't know why this is bugging me.  And if they said I obviously missed it.

She looks way better than when she was brought in. She was burned, black all over, barely breathing. Now she's fresh as a daisy with a nice glow. Your guess is as good as mine.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Major Bigtime said:

I can understand Michaela being upset with Asher punching Connor. Not just because Connor is, for all intents and purposes, her best friend, but because it can be terrifying for a woman to have a boyfriend so prone to snapping and lashing out in violent anger. And this isn't the first time something like this has happened; he literally killed a woman when he couldn't control his temper. I think she's afraid that she might someday say the wrong thing and he'll turn on her too.

Exactly, because that's how I saw that scene at the door, it was about how the violence made her feel, not Connor. She looked Asher in his face and said that she couldn't deal with it and it had nothing to do with the punching bag being Connor. Once they were done with their convo and she let him in she then said there was someone else he needed to apologize to which I half agree with because she needed to tell Connor that he should apologize to Laurel, he's not poor little, victim here WTF? 

I've about had it with Norwalk continuing to keep Michaela around for Connor  as his fucking security blanket and never having her put her foot down and tell his ass off. Especially since he hasn't done shit but drain Michaela and not return any support. He's actually mean as fuck to her with his comments sometimes. It's almost like he takes joy in hurting her feelings, yeah, with friends like that...Norwalk, having favorite characters is a good way to topple your show, cut it out. Connor isn't my favorite, he deserves a telling off from his best friend. You can be friends with someone but still put them in their place when you need to. She was telling him to shut his mouth in that hospital room, but I didn't like the poor Connor he's a victim shit and nobody is telling his ass that he needs to apologize to Laurel.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 1

The problem with Michaela and Asher's relationship is Asher projects his issues on Michaela who ends up playing babysitter as much as girlfriend. He conflates work familiarity with emotional maturity. His overriding need for connection and reassurance at the expense of other people's emotional well being has repeatedly been his downfall. He swears he doesn't want Michaela to be his teacher, but he's so self centered & emotionally stunted he literally can't conceive of people, other than himself, existing on their own terms.

I'm tired of Connor. He and Oliver were cute once upon a time, but that ship sailed long ago. I have no problem with him not being upset as everyone else about Wes death, but the excessive cruelty that the show constantly excuses because he's its Chief Woobie is like nails on a chalkboard. I have yet to see Connor overextend himself for, and/or offer genuine emotional support to, anyone else on this show. He's never been much closer to Laurel than he was Wes, but his hospital room tantrum was repulsive. I don't care how bad the show insists the pressure of Annalise and the K5 hijinx is responsible for his behavior, because, even after everything, he has no problem NOT turning himself & the rest of the Keating Murder Squad in. And after everything that's happened, including Asher's forced apology, Connor is still written to be the magnanimous one while firmly ensconced in Michaela's house (where he pays no bills, damages her furniture & has sex in her bed).

Edited by Dee
  • Love 14

Forfot to ask, is Aja Naomi King pregnant in real life?

She didnt look in the face, but her clothes and scene blocking screamed 'hiding IRL pregnancy'.  

Forfot to ask, is Aja Naomi King pregnant in real life?

She didnt look in the face, but her clothes and scene blocking screamed 'hiding IRL pregnancy'.  

Also, I didnt think that other actress looked anything like King.  Not even a little bit.  Completely different hair, body type, facial features, hue . . . 

2 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

When the fuck will Michaela get this? Because of course Viola would she's the star of the show, they're not going to mess with her. The show does fifteen episodes because she demanded it. They're not going to mess with Kerri Washington. But Shondaland keeps fucking over the Jerrika Hintons and Aja Kings in her world.  And I don't know what's up with that but it's a pattern.

I think it's about star power.  Viola Davis is the star of the show, she's been around a long time, she's paid her dues.  I sometimes think that those scenes in the jail, like those in the beauty shop were about letting other black actresses take the stage.   If that is Viola Davis' doing, then more power to her. 

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Keepitmoving said:

I've about had it with Norwalk continuing to keep Michaela around for Connor  as his fucking security blanket and never having her put her foot down and tell his ass off. Especially since he hasn't done shit but drain Michaela and not return any support. He's actually mean as fuck to her with his comments sometimes. It's almost like he takes joy in hurting her feelings, yeah, with friends like that...Norwalk, having favorite characters is a good way to topple your show, cut it out. Connor isn't my favorite, he deserves a telling off from his best friend. You can be friends with someone but still put them in their place when you need to. She was telling him to shut his mouth in that hospital room, but I didn't like the poor Connor he's a victim shit and nobody is telling his ass that he needs to apologize to Laurel.

Agree with this 1000%. Connor keeps getting a pass with her and I don't understand it. When he isn't sulking and moaning, he's mean and crappy to her, under the guise of being the snarky bff. I mean, she gives as good as she gets, and some relationships are like that, but at some point in that friendship you have to wonder, do they really like each other? If I were her I would have been D-O-N-E with him when he had sex on my expensive duvet, and left it messed up for me to find.  That shit isn't funny or cute. And while I don't really have an issue with him lolling around in her robe, I bet he hasn't ever done laundry, not one day of it.

The fact that he is always saying nasty crap is why I'm hesitant to say his horrible statement to Laurel was part of his grieving process. I'm not saying it isn't, it's just that saying untoward crap is par for the course with him. He blurts out whatever he feels, not really caring how it affects people. I know he realizes he went too far this time, but I don't think this is the last time he'll lash out.

I also think he's right not to pretend to care or be grieving about Wes if he really isn't. What's the point of being fake now? Even if he is indeed grieving in his own way, I am still waiting to see him apologize to Laurel, who deserves it, no matter how messed up he feels. If they gloss over the apology and have them acting normally towards each other next week, I'll be really pissed.

All said, though, I can't hate him. As much as I hate his actions, he's a nuanced character. I appreciate that he isn't 100% good or bad.

You need to drop the skill you picked up from Shonda on how to make a viewer go from loving/liking a character to completely loathing them, and never recovering. Please leave those lessons behind please. I haven't hated any regular characters on this show yet, annoyed by them yes, but that's OK for me. When I start loathing them as in hate to see them on screen as opposed to loving to hate watch them...yeah, not good. 

Yup to this too. I haven't watched Grey's or Scandal in years, because of the astonishing 180 they've done in terms of the likability of the characters and plotlines. I am dreading the day Shondaland screws up this show too, because I really enjoy it. You just know it's coming, ugh.

15 hours ago, pennben said:

Oh no, this episode feels like now all of the brightly lit Wes flashbacks are going to be showing him as Saint Wes. I have this fear because I'm watching This Is Us that utilizes flashbacks and the father there who we know is dead is always presented as a saint in flashbacks.  

Ha! I get where you're coming from re Jack, but I don't think Wes is in danger of becoming as a saint, at least not to this audience. He has a lonnggg history of deeply aggravating behavior, and of sometimes being a petulant brat. I don't think any of us are about to forget how annoying he was back in the day when every other word out of his mouth was 'Rebecca'. I never hated him, and will definitely miss him when he's gone for good, but boy oh boy, could Wes work a nerve.

Edited by LaJefaza
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, NodakFan said:

But to start saying "you're not grieving or sad the way I think you should be, so you killed him" isn't appropriate,

This is what a lot of people used as an argument in the forums as a reason to believe Connor killed Wes

I see it two ways: I do see your view and I agree that lighting is everything. But also the flashforwards, or in this case the flashbacks, have always had the blue tinting whenever important information is revealed. So while the Wes/Keating Four scenes were shot in bright lighting, they weren't important to the overall Who Killed Wes mystery. The part with Frank, however, was. 

I haven't really noticed this! Is the info given in the flashbacks/forwards always true? Because I though maybe it was different to indicate an 'unreliable narrator' that is, if Frank is lying in his confession maybe what we are seeing is his made up story and not quite the truth.

The problem with Michaela and Asher's relationship is Asher projects his issues on Michaela who ends up playing babysitter as much as girlfriend. He confuses work familiarity with emotional maturity. His overriding need for connection and reassurance at the expense of other people's emotional well being has repeatedly been his downfall. He swears he doesn't want Michaela to be his teacher, but he's so self centered & emotionally stunted he literally can't conceive of people, other than himself, existing on their own terms.

Yes! Preach why don't you, excellent.

Agree with this 1000%. Connor keeps getting a pass with her and I don't understand it. When he isn't sulking and moaning, he's mean and crappy to her, under the guise of being the snarky bff. I mean, she gives as good as she gets, and some relationships are like that, but at some point in that friendship you have to wonder, do they really like each other? If I were her I would have been D-O-N-E with him when he had sex on my expensive duvet, and left it messed up for me to find.  That shit isn't funny or cute. And while I don't really have an issue with him lolling around in her robe, I bet he hasn't ever done laundry, not one day of it.

Yeah, but she doesn't even give as good as she gets from Connor's ass when it comes to serious shit in one's life that is truly hurtful. NOT once can I recall her making a hurtful comment when it comes to Connor and his relationship and feelings of pain when it comes to Oliver. Shit she was telling Asher to keep mum about Oliver's date as to not make Connor feel bad.  The shitting on Michaela from Norwalk and his writing staff is unbelievable to me. On multiple occasions Connor has made a joke with painful remarks when it comes to the shit Michaela went through with Aiden. It was fine when it first started early in season one and they hadn't formed a bond, but he continued well after that, taking glee in showing her those pictures online of Aiden and his new wife etc..WTF?  

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Keepitmoving, why do you think Norwalk and his writing staff shits on Michaela so much?  Is it an issue they have with the actress? 

No they hired her before she could even leave the audition, like fast, they hired her like real quick LOL. Probably because she worked on a few ABC projects before. 

But it's because he only cares about Connor, Connor is his love child. He has only cared to use her as some soft place for Connor. He probably sees himself in Connor, like Shonda sees herself in Meredith Grey and therefore ended up ruining that show for me starting in freaking season 4.  I don't even think it's on purpose, he just doesn't care enough, and apparently neither does anyone else on that staff. But I wish on these medium to large ensemble shows in Shondaland that have pretty great actors all around, that they would realize that when you have that kind of talent all viewers are NOT going to be into your favorite and/or lead character. We are going to end up really loving some of the other characters and rooting for them and if you don't root for them and it shows in the writing, viewers like me turn off.  So in other words, DO NOT create characters just for the purpose of being your favorite character's friends, because the friend at times ends up stealing the show for some viewers. Then viewers like me start to get really frustrated and turned off if you're not going to try to give said characters something other than being a wet blanket for your favorites.

Edited by Keepitmoving

I don't agree with beating the crap out of someone, even if what they are saying is horrible. Asher was either out of control or calculatedly choosing not only to punch Connor, but to continue pounding on him even after he was lying on the ground. I just completely do not agree that punching people is how to deal with their obnoxious words. He could have yelled at Connor to shut up, told him to leave, or even put his arm around him and tried to escort him out of the room. They all could have told him to leave, shut up, apologize, called security to have him removed, or whatever else. But knocking him to the ground and beating him bloody? Is that really how we want this kind of situation handled? I know it's not what I want. And, as was pointed out upthread, Asher killed someone when he lost his temper before. I think it's more than "general female fear of scary boyfriend and/or Michaela being traumatized and thus sensitized to violence" in general; Asher has shown that he is capable of completely unrestrained deadly violence. I don't think Michaela should give him a pass at all. But they're all so desensitized by now, they have lost perspective on what is or is not OK.

The fact that Asher loses his cool with people who are unlikable (Sinclair) or acting out (Connor) doesn't make it OK.

• Love 4

From the recap:

[Connor and Oliver] clearly want to be together in an uncomplicated way, but the emotional baggage that comes with being a gay man keeps getting in their way. This week, we hear Connor talking about how he needs therapy to sort through his "gay stuff" and his feelings for Oliver, and we see Oliver flail as he tries to love Connor through the latter's self-loathing: this is true to life. Almost every gay person I've ever known -- myself included -- has had to accept that he or she is worthy of love before it's even possible to get down to the business of being in love. And sometimes, the encoded shame that comes from one's church or family or local community is just too strong to overcome, which deforms the ability to love. People get over this, of course, all the time. But it's a process of self-definition that art doesn't explore very often.

I can't express how absolutely astute I find this.  All of this is what drove Connor to lash out so terribly in Laurel's hospital room.  He thinks of himself as a monster because of all of his lifelong shame at being gay and was actively provoking the others so that someone would just beat the shit out of him verbally or physically, essentially getting someone to treat him externally the way he's been treating himself internally for who knows how long.  All of the self-loathing both Connor and Oliver have exhibited feels so accurate to me: "I'm not worthy of you." "I can only hurt you." "I'm a bad person." "You're so much better than I." Etc.  I don't know a single LGBT person over 25 (including myself) who hasn't gone through that to varying degrees, and I've had to explain to various straight friends and family members over the years where this shame comes from because it's a shame they don't fully understand because they're straight people living in a heteronormative world.  Like Mark, I'm really glad this show is exploring that shame, even if it's in the most over-the-top, soapy way possible.

Also, this is not to say Connor didn't deserve a punch to the face for what he said because he did.  I think Asher went way too far (which provoked a few interesting exchanges between him and Michaela later); however, Connor basically begged him to keep punching him because: self-loathing, and Asher's very real anger issues couldn't hold back.  I actually don't think Michaela was wrong to want Asher to apologize to Connor (although the latter really needs to apologize to Laurel, too), but what I found interesting is that Asher never actually got the apology out before Connor invited him to join him on the bed to watch the news conference.  I don't think Connor even wanted an apology because he got what he asked for and what he thinks he deserved.  I found the whole thing so fascinating because, even if it's to a much less insane degree, I totally get the emotional baggage driving Connor (and Oliver, to be fair).

In other news, I'm still thrilled Wes is dead.  Frankly, I think he was the easiest one to lift out because he didn't really have relationships with any of the others but Laurel; the other four are more connected to each other (especially Michaela, Asher, and Connor).  The brightly lit flashbacks were a mixed bag: I don't want them retroactively painting Wes as a saint because he wasn't; while I thought the Laurel and Asher flashbacks were fine, the Connor and Michaela ones seemed really false because those two really wouldn't interact with Wes like that.

I can't wait until Viola wins an Oscar on February 26th.

• Love 1

I just completely do not agree that punching people is how to deal with their obnoxious words. He could have yelled at Connor to shut up, told him to leave, or even put his arm around him and tried to escort him out of the room. They all could have told him to leave, shut up, apologize, called security to have him removed, or whatever else. But knocking him to the ground and beating him bloody? Is that really how we want this kind of situation handled?

Exactly, but once again it was all about Asher, that wasn't even mainly about Laurel's hurt feelings IMO. Like a gentleman being pissed that someone, anyone would say that to a pregnant woman, it wasn't even that IMO,  it was about Asher.

He could have very easily yelled at him and told him to get the hell out.

Also, this is not to say Connor didn't deserve a punch to the face for what he said because he did.  I think Asher went way too far (which provoked a few interesting exchanges between him and Michaela later); however, Connor basically begged him to keep punching him because: self-loathing, and Asher's very real anger issues couldn't hold back.  I actually don't think Michaela was wrong to want Asher to apologize to Connor (although the latter really needs to apologize to Laurel, too), but what I found interesting is that Asher never actually got the apology out before Connor invited him to join him on the bed to watch the news conference.  I don't think Connor even wanted an apology because he got what he asked for and what he thinks he deserved.  I found the whole thing so fascinating because, even if it's to a much less insane degree, I totally get the emotional baggage driving Connor (and Oliver, to be fair).

I saw the scenes in the same way. All the self-loathing, I had thought that to be the case but the scene with Wes sealed it for me. So him egging Asher to punch him, I knew what that was about. And you could tell he knew damn well what he said was horrid, as he tells Oliver he's a horrible person after telling him that he said something foul and that's why he got beat. So I wasn't surprised at him motioning to Asher first to come over.

• Love 2

- My timeline cheered when Connor got punched (the first time). He's had that coming for a long time now.

- Pressed the ff button during all the brightly lit Wes scenes. Once the Annalise one finished and didn't really hold my interest, I realised I didn't care about the rest.

- The show has to give Michaela a break here and finally give her a good boyfriend because Asher isn't the answer.

- Laurel started to get less interesting when she caught feelings for Wes as if being around him made her just as lacklustre as him. Not sure what they'll do with this baby business.

- Bonnie and Annalise are in similar positions, emotionally. Alone, afraid and unsure.

I hope this season will hold my interest, because I'm about done with watching Annalise being a poor victim.  It's just too much.  Enough already.  I find her character amusing when she's in fine form, but, that has been in short supply lately.  IMO, the writing needs to move on.  Enough already.  I don't care who killed Wes.  He was quite annoying to me and I never did understand why he was cast in that role, but, I hope they can dispense with something more intriguing soon.  They need to really get their legal consultants on board, because as others have stated upthread.  It's just not even close to how they would proceed with a real murder prosecution.  It actually makes me laugh. 

My favorite bit was when Nate pulled the old sexual harassment threat! Alright.  Was that his intention from the beginning?  Go Nate.

I wonder how many witnesses they may eventually call to the stand to testify against Annalise?  Like receptionist in the hospital lobby who heard loud conversations from the team arguing..  They run their mouths very loudly and thinl that people are deaf.  So bizarre. Again, not amusing, imo.  To have so many secrets, they sure do shout and yap a lot. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe

Seriously, all of these people need ALL of the therapy. They are clearly one hot mess of a group. An entertaining mess, but one none the less.

I hope we get Annalise being badass again soon. I like seeing the different aspects of her personality, but I need it mixed with Annalise being awesome and strong. That being said, Wes did just die and she is set up for his murder (the one murder she probably had nothing to do with) so this is a good time to be all miserable and whatnot.

Connor was definitely being an asshole, but that's just how Connor deals with stuff. He goes from "bitchy and detached" to "borderline nervous breakdown" over and over. Not that Connor isn't kind of an asshole just in general, and he does need to get called out for that, but the really shitty stuff he was saying in the hospital seemed to be more based around self loathing and getting people to be pissed off at him so he can not deal with his issues. If he was just an asshole, he wouldn't have been screaming at Asher to punch him while he was down, he wouldn't be having happy Wes flashbacks, and he wouldn't be walking around looking shell shocked the whole rest of the episode. Even if he doesn't feel traditional sad feelings, he is clearly not alright with Weses death. And Asher acted like Asher, all emotions and immaturity. This was more violent and nasty than usual, but its a bad time for everyone. If he s it again, than we have problems.

I'm sorry, but don't really see the writers being particularly awful to Michaela. Maybe its just because I haven't seen the early parts of the show in awhile, but Connor is kind of a jerk to everyone, even his friends, so is Michaela. Michaela is a little nicer to her friends, but she generally seems to be more well adjusted in general. Michaela certainly has her issues, but Connor seems like he should be on suicide watch half the time. Not that it excuses him being a jerk, it just tends to come off as lashing out than being an actual asshole to me. As for being too forgiving of Connor, she probably is, but so is everyone. The Keating 5 have done and said countless horribly things to each other, but they're kind of stuck together at this point. I do wish they would give Michaela more happy times though. I like her and Asher and I think they actually work pretty well together, but I hope this episode leads to him maturing more so they can be on a more equal playing field.

Also, not to be pervy and weird during an emotional episode, but, when Connor pulled open his blankets to let Asher and Michaela into his bed, my mind went quickly to "So...grief three way?". I am a bad person.

• Love 7