Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: The Call

Daphne and Bay are so enthralled with China that they stay longer than anticipated, but after 10 months, they get an emergency call and drop everything to return home. Once there, Daphne tries to integrate herself back into campus life but finds that things have changed without her. Bay is mixed up about her feelings towards Emmett who is struggling with his own problems. Meanwhile, Kathryn and John quarrel over her job and Regina feels guilty about a secret tryst.

We have all been waiting for the show for so long, I think the time jump might be a good thing, give them time to work out some unresolved storylines, and since they knew it was the last season I HOPE they did justice to the fans. 

OK, I cant get past the fact that Bay was so ill for so many weeks--are we really supposed to beleive that Daphne wouldnt call her family for help and that kathryn and John wouldnt rush to China to help? Also, did Travis stay there the entire 10 months? If so, how is he still on the baseball team? LOL I guess Im confused....if someone can fill me that would be great :)

• Love 3

Good gawd! The wait was so hard but I TOTALLY LOVED IT!!!

So happy Bay chose Travis and I misunderstood when she asked Daphne to move in. I thought Bay was suggesting that all three of them (Bay, Travis and Daphne) live in the apartment.  I'm disappointed at her reasons and agree with Travis.  

While I feel sorry for Emmett - he can't go back to wanting Bay now that she is over him.

Feel sorry for Daphne in regards to her credits.

But most of all - MY SHOW IS BACK PEOPLE!!!

• Love 1

Shallow note: Travis needs to grow back a little scruff because hubba Hubba when he got off the motorcycle. 

I am with Sarah on the appropriation storyline. Not sure it's the best use of limited time. Called the depression early in the episode. Hope Emmett does not ruin Bay for me again. 

• Love 3

The going back to fill in the time gaps was so abrupt to me how they did it and I wish they had shown more of that to ease into it than the coming back home stuff. I can't believe after all that happened, Daphne has gotten herself into a controversy so quickly with the viral photo.

The last two seasons have been too melodramatic and far fetched to me and I figured I would stay in it for the last season bc I love Marlee and Lea. But give me something to work with! Have we even seen the new baby? Are we going to? How did Kathryn end up as athletic director? Don't you need some sort of experience more than being your husband's longtime roadie? (Kidding, but only partly. I've worked in the academic world and of course you do)

I also kind of rolled my eyes at the whole "depression runs in your family" thing because they can't stick to just one or two storylines, they need to throw everything in at once. I know it's serious, but also plenty of 20 year olds just realize they're not doing as well in whatever was next after high school as they would have liked and have to regroup without it being a serious illness or cry for help.

Oh, and the writers' room seems acquainted with the CDC description for Japanese encephalitis because the info was almost verbatim :).

Yes, I know I'm being pessimistic. I just hoped for more than this to wrap it all up.

Edited by Eureka
  • Love 2

I didn't realize I'd grown to hate Emmett until this episode.   

I'm fine with the cultural appropriation for an episode or two but I don't want to spend too much time on it, especially because I didn't believe that Daphne wouldn't have been uncomfortable with Mingo's costume from the moment she walked in.   I mean she's latina and deaf so she should be somewhat aware of the issues.   

I wish Emmett would move back to LA.   A whole season of this show trying to convince me I should ship him and Bay?  I really, really, really don't think there are writers in the world who could make that happen for me again.  

• Love 2

So we are going to have more of the same this season?

Daphne makes stupid decisions and is involved in a hot button topic-done.

Katherine is railroaded by John--done and done.

Regina is a flake and hides her side piece from everyone--yup.

Emmett and Bay can't figure out who loves who--done.

Travis pitches a fit and angrily signs before he storms off--and done. 

But all can be forgiven if Travis would grow out that scruff and man bun again. Was that scene shot after all of the other ones?  Why did he have to shave?  Why couldn't that look come back to KC with him?  What a tease.

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 5

So happy Bay chose Travis and I misunderstood when she asked Daphne to move in. I thought Bay was suggesting that all three of them (Bay, Travis and Daphne) live in the apartment.  I'm disappointed at her reasons and agree with Travis.  

While I feel sorry for Emmett - he can't go back to wanting Bay now that she is over him.

I too thought daphne was going to live with travis and bay....

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

Shallow note: Travis needs to grow back a little scruff because hubba Hubba when he got off the motorcycle. 

I am with Sarah on the appropriation storyline. Not sure it's the best use of limited time. Called the depression early in the episode. Hope Emmett does not ruin Bay for me again. 

No kidding! When he came into the frame, it was, " Holy moly, what happened to TRAVIS?!?!? China Travis was something!

• Love 8

I missed this cheesy mess. The hiatus was too long. 

Bay gets seriously ill (because of course she does) with an illness that 1 in 4 people don’t recover from and her parents didn’t fly to China to be with her? Ok.

Daphne being upset that the world didn't stop for her while she was playing doctor in rural China for a year is about as Daphne as can be. 

Emmett apologizing to Bay for making the film about her experience and saying he was selfish, while true, felt a bit too little, too late for me. Also it seems like the writers were responding directly to the criticism from fans who were appalled with Emmett’s behavior during the breakup in an attempt to redeem the character. And the cynical part of me feels like they came up with this depression plot just to make the character sympathetic again, which I have no interest in. 

I sincerely hope they don't try to make Bay and Emmett a thing again because, depressed or not, Emmett was a jerk and that relationship has been beaten into the ground. Let it die. 

I like the idea of Bay and Daphne living together even if we have to deal with angry Travis as a result. 

I really don’t care about John and Kathryn’s school funding plot and have zero interest in Regina’s 47th love interest. 

I have a feeling this Daphne/Mingo cultural appropriation thing is going to go on for a while. I agree with those who feel the last handful of episodes isn’t the best time to tackle another big controversial issue for a continues stretch of episodes, but I don’t think the writers realized that when the show was picked up for a 5th season that the season would be cut in half and instead of having 20 episodes split into 2 half seasons, they only had one stretch of 10 episodes. If I recall correctly they got the news that season 5 would only be 10 episodes around the time they were filming the 100th episode, so they had already written and filmed a good portion of the season and by that time you can’t really undo much. I’m sure they’ll use the last couple of episodes to tie things up but it’s not the same as having a full half season to do so, which was probably what they had in mind for 5B had they had the opportunity to write it. 

• Love 3

I am allergic to love triangles on a good day, and this one has been beaten to death and chased into the afterlife to be beaten some more, so trying to revive it again to drive another crop of episodes is a drag. Also, I think Bay needs to stop bouncing between various asshole boyfriends and either be single or get with someone who isn't using her as a resident punching bag/therapist.

I do like the idea of her and Daphne living together. Bu I agree with Travis that it's completely obnoxious for her to decide that without talking with him first. Where is he going to go, now, and how will he afford it? He doesn't have a family to fall back on, and even if he did, it's just incredibly dismissive to kick him out like that, and especially to do so without even expecting him to have any feelings about it.

I hate when the film people signing from behind, so you can't see them sign. They've always been inconsistent and at times fantastical about lipreading and sign accuracy, but they did used to at least let us see what they were doing.

Is it that easy to stay in China indefinitely, after visiting on a short term tourist visa? If so, that's interesting, and I wonder why they didn't go back after determining that Emmett is OK.

Daphne being surprised that it takes a little while to get back into things after disappearing for 10 months, and that things like housing and courses might be full, and she might be behind her friends in coursework, was ridiculous. It's like they wanted to assassinate her character for no reason! I also don't get what the big deal is if she graduates a year later than the people she started with. There will be other people taking the pre-med track who she can graduate with later, and she had a year in China!!

I like Bay being a tattoo artist. That fits with her personality-- artist, faintly rebellious but not really, sociable....

The parents seem to be incapable of growth, except that Regina did defer to Kathryn and NeanderthalDaddy, so that was something.

And now we know that hipster look actually does work for some guys. Travis shaving was the worst decision the show has ever made.

• Love 7

I agree with everyone about Travis. I never found him attractive until tonight, and then they ruined even that.

Early Bay and Emmett are my all-time favorite tv couple. They thoroughly ruined that, and eventually I got over it. To try and bring it back now is not going to work. I have never seen reverse character development worse than what they did to Emmett. I do not believe there is anything they can do to make me like him again. I'm in for the season though, because there's no point in not seeing how it ends.

• Love 3

Listen, if Travis grows back the scruff and gets the man bun Bay will be forced to come back. His first mistake was shaving after he knew they were staying in close proximity to Emmett. 

Episode started off stupidly. I get wanting to explain what happened in China and I did want to know, but it was poorly done. Disjointed flashbacks to an abrupt return. And the real issue is that despite seeing the flashbacks we still don't really know what they did in China.

Example: wtf were they doing in that rural area at the beginning in the first place with no way of getting back to a major city or contacting anyone? I'm assuming some fun little nature hike, but it felt like such a gimmicky way of starting the season.  What exactly was Travis doing? And I like how we glossed over how difficult it would be for him and Daphne to function in China when they're deaf, but here we are (not saying they couldn't do it, but the show just acted like it was no big deal at all). 

I low-key ship Travis and Bay. I've really come to like Bay over time, and I've always really liked Travis. Dude, can be a total ass - I'm not disputing that - but I think a lot of his issues come from ignorance and being so completely alone for so long. Of course he has interpersonal issues; he's never really had people he had to negotiate and navigate around until now. 

I'm totally on his side with this argument though. Bay low-key just told him he's not real boyfriend material, never was, and that he was a part of her finding herself phase. Now that she's had her time to find herself again she no longer needs him. That's got to hurt, especially since he spent awhile hung up on her before they even dated and she did reject him initially. It probably feels like their entire relationship was just convenient for her. 

And honestly, Bay is being selfish as all get out. Count me in as one who misinterpreted the convo too. I assumed that Bay was just giving Daphne the apartment and that she and Travis were still going to live together just somewhere else. Gross, (especially for Daphne to accept) but understandable. But why in the heck would Bay move in with Daphne without talking to Travis and when they had all kinds of plans to live together? Plus Travis has pretty much nowhere to go as well right? He got back on the team it seems, but like we saw with Daphne he probably couldn't get a dorm either. Moving in with Melody is always an option, but just like how Bay immediately bucked at having to live with her parents, I doubt he'd want to either. 

@Everleigh  To me, the writers obviously are manipulating the situation. Emmett became an absolute, unforgivable jerk. I'm sure he has defenders still, but I know that despite liking him a lot of people can still see has far he's fallen. With this depression story it just seems like an excuse to bring up another unnecessary hot button issue to show off how progressive they are and force the audience/Bay to feel bad for Em so Bemmett can still be viable. 

I wish they'd just own it. Emmett became all Mr. Hollywood before he'd even done anything. We didn't need a serious depression story here. They should have just had him fall flat on his face like a lot of people do in college and crawl home to lick his wounds. A little relatable, but not nearly as desperately sympathetic as depression. 

And I am in no way ready for more Bemmett down the line. I hate all this one true love BS. Bemmett became toxic long ago and I never shipped it anyways. 

Daphne assuming she could pick up her life as if nothing happened killed me. I wanted her to own her decision. Like for most of it she kept going around like "Oh, I missed soo much in China!" and I didn't go for it because she was basically living the dream and still was complaining. And it's all her fault she doesn't know the status of things anyways. Seems to me like *she's* the one who dropped all ties when she decided to stay.

I hated her little comment to Regina "We[Mingo] exchanged some texts and some were flirty, but idk it's Mingo" And I'm just ???? Huh?? Mingo really liked you and was pretty serious last time I checked. He started taking private ASL lessons for you. You guys met each others' parents. It's pretty obvious to me that he wasn't playing games. It does indicate a larger issue in their relationship though; Daphne never truly stopped looking down on Mingo for his dudebro exterior. 

Kathryn is clearly not qualified for her job and I'm assuming that's going to be a plot point later. 

Regina's Boy Toy parallels Bay. As soon as the "real world" encroached she dropped it. He was clearly there during a transition period and once things got back to 'normal' it was time to cut him loose. 

• Love 1

This show and all its ridiculousness is back for the last time. Some of me is sad that it'll be over soon, but it's overdue. So much messiness and the same old same old.

Ugh. Emo!Emmett is the worse Emmett. The writers clearly don't remember how much the audience disliked angry teen Emmett and this is ten times worse. They have taken one of my earliest favourite characters (and ships) on this show and burned it. ENOUGH.

Bay and Daphne showed their worse aspects in this first episode. I agree that Bay really screwed Travis over with the flip flopping of the living situation.

On 2017-02-01 at 9:48 AM, possibilities said:

Is it that easy to stay in China indefinitely, after visiting on a short term tourist visa? If so, that's interesting, and I wonder why they didn't go back after determining that Emmett is OK.

Daphne being surprised that it takes a little while to get back into things after disappearing for 10 months, and that things like housing and courses might be full, and she might be behind her friends in coursework, was ridiculous. It's like they wanted to assassinate her character for no reason! I also don't get what the big deal is if she graduates a year later than the people she started with. There will be other people taking the pre-med track who she can graduate with later, and she had a year in China!!

I like Bay being a tattoo artist. That fits with her personality-- artist, faintly rebellious but not really, sociable....

The parents seem to be incapable of growth, except that Regina did defer to Kathryn and NeanderthalDaddy, so that was something.

And now we know that hipster look actually does work for some guys. Travis shaving was the worst decision the show has ever made.

It is not easy to stay in China indefinitely like that. The tourist visas are only about three months a time and probably a pain for them to renew without actual serious work. Who was sponsoring their work?

Daphne's indignant reaction that things aren't going her way was typical Daphne. It's consistent with how she can be very limited in her world view. She is self-righteous Daphne after all.

Kathryn and John's plot bores me a whole lot, but I think John is a pretty realistic in a lot ways. I think he actually does have some growth.

On 2017-02-01 at 10:21 AM, MyRealName said:

I agree with everyone about Travis. I never found him attractive until tonight, and then they ruined even that.

Early Bay and Emmett are my all-time favorite tv couple. They thoroughly ruined that, and eventually I got over it. To try and bring it back now is not going to work. I have never seen reverse character development worse than what they did to Emmett. I do not believe there is anything they can do to make me like him again. I'm in for the season though, because there's no point in not seeing how it ends.

+1. Agree that Travis looked fantastic with that beard. I'm not a fan of the manbun and can't, but he looked so good with that scruff. Bay and Daphne are right; he is the best. How can Bay even look at Emmett when she's been with Travis the past eight months looking like that! I buy their chemistry too.

On 2017-02-01 at 1:45 PM, FrumiusManxome said:

Example: wtf were they doing in that rural area at the beginning in the first place with no way of getting back to a major city or contacting anyone? I'm assuming some fun little nature hike, but it felt like such a gimmicky way of starting the season.  What exactly was Travis doing? And I like how we glossed over how difficult it would be for him and Daphne to function in China when they're deaf, but here we are (not saying they couldn't do it, but the show just acted like it was no big deal at all). 

I low-key ship Travis and Bay. I've really come to like Bay over time, and I've always really liked Travis. Dude, can be a total ass - I'm not disputing that - but I think a lot of his issues come from ignorance and being so completely alone for so long. Of course he has interpersonal issues; he's never really had people he had to negotiate and navigate around until now. 

That early part of the episode confused me. I was like, "Where are they? Is this China in the 1960s?" I would believe if they had been in Cambodia, Laos, and certain parts of Vietnam, but even then, so many rural areas in East and Southeast Asia have reception and advanced telecoms now. The lack of parents knowing and the whole situation with their village friends was far fetched. Anyway, I'm ignoring how gimmicky the China situation was.

Yes, I like Travis/Bay too. I've always liked them both. I didn't think it would work, but the actor playing Travis has really sold it. He's managed to look good and unscathed in all the relationships (including that brief one with Daphne) on this show.  I agree he can be an ass, but it's believable and realistic given his upbringing and alienation. I think the writers piss on him a lot more than the other characters all things considered.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

OK, I cant get past the fact that Bay was so ill for so many weeks--are we really supposed to beleive that Daphne wouldnt call her family for help and that kathryn and John wouldnt rush to China to help? Also, did Travis stay there the entire 10 months? If so, how is he still on the baseball team? LOL I guess Im confused....if someone can fill me that would be great :)

It seemed like Travis went at the end of the summer and right after they decided to stay for a year? I guess he got back on the team because of John? Odd that Daphne expected to be able to move into the dorm and start taking classes mid-semester. If Emmett was on spring break, Daphne's school should have been too.

But I agree, really weird John and Kathryn didn't go to help when Bay was sick.

16 hours ago, greekmom said:

I also thought Bay was suggesting the three of them live together, as they apparently did in China. She wasn't being very fair to him.

I felt bad for Daphne too, but if she really wanted credit she should have asked the school ahead of time. And even if she had gotten 3 credits, she'd still be way behind her class. Aren't most colleges 12-15 credits a semester (24-30) a year? And didn't she have to retake a course she failed anyway?

I hope they do something with her new eastern medicine experience though.

• Love 1

I'm really happy that this show is back, so I'm pretty accepting of the sillier parts of this episode, but there were still a TON of issues this week, and a lot of it felt very same old same old. We don't have a lot of episodes left, they need to wrap this up, and it feels like they're building up stuff that they don't have time to commit too.

Travis can be an angry jerk sometimes (but I still like him) but he was totally right to be pissed off at Bay. They planned on moving in together for months, and now Bay just randomly tells him that, not only will they not be living together anymore, but she's kicking him out of the apartment he was planning on living in, right out of the blue! And she gets all shocked that he was angry? Of course he is, you just screwed him out if his place to live, and made a big decision about your relationship without telling him!

The beginning of this episode was just bizarre. It felt like it was going to be one of those episodes that starts off showing something dramatic, and then we get a "6 hours earlier" and we see what events lead to the drama we saw to start with. And when we saw that girl in the forest with the bamboo stick, I thought we were in a dream sequence. I cant say I know a whole lot about rural China, but it looks more like China circa 1955 than China now. Weren't they working in a big city? Did they just take a hiking trip? To the past? All the China stuff was weird. It was like "Oh my God, Bay could die! No wait, she's fine, lets never bring it up again". What did all that accomplish?

I guess the depression stuff is supposed to make us more sympathetic to Emmett, but it will take a lot more than that to make me forget what an asshole he was. The apology was nice, but I feel like him being Depressed is just a way to get the audience to feel sympathy for him. You could just say he was messed up because his plans weren't working out and he realized what a jerk he had been. You don't have to bring up EVERY issue ever on this show.

I knew the second we saw Mingo wearing that dumb costume that we would be going to a college cultural appropriation storyline. I work in higher ed, and, yeah, the costume stuff is a whole big thing that everyone talks about every Halloween. How have Daphne and Mingo never heard of this? Its an interesting enough topic, but do we really need this? We`re on the home stretch here, we know Daphne is an idiot, we don't need a whole Very Special Storyline about it!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1

I am disappointed.  After such a long break bad acting in some scenes was unbearable to watch , such as Daphne shouting for help. And why they have to go again with the Bay and Emmet story? This show evolved into direction that I don't like. Characters making the same mistakes over and over again, they don't learn from them. But I'll stick till the end just because it's the last season, and if I have to fast-forward than so be it. 

Edited by joacha
27 minutes ago, scribe95 said:

Made no sense why Bay kicked Travis out. There are obviously two bedrooms so room for all three there. I had hoped some of the writing would improve but alas.

It makes sense within the show....Bay has to give up what she wants most so that Daphne can have her way. Ug. Daphne has really moved her way up into my top 5 most hated TV characters over these past few seasons.

That apartment was HUGE -- and likely bigger than anything they had in China (and is free). And, considering it had rooms  enough for Regina's boyfriend, his son, and Regina -- it had to be big enough for the three of them.

(I'm a little concerned that Bay painted the wall in a temporary rental -- but, what the hey, she's not going back.... I AM glad that she made the effort t learn Mandarin though. She does always make the effort to learn and communicate in people's own languages.)

• Love 2
On 2/1/2017 at 10:21 AM, MyRealName said:

I know I shouldn't like Emmett. But, the actor is just so darn cute I can't help myself. The hair, the eyes the chemistry with Bay.  (Swoon) I miss the original recipe Bay and Emmett. (sigh).

• Love 3
17 hours ago, scribe95 said:

Made no sense why Bay kicked Travis out. There are obviously two bedrooms so room for all three there. I had hoped some of the writing would improve but alas.

17 hours ago, heythere said:

It makes sense within the show....Bay has to give up what she wants most so that Daphne can have her way. Ug. Daphne has really moved her way up into my top 5 most hated TV characters over these past few seasons.

I don't think that's the case this time. I actually think that Travis was spot on in what he said to Bay. She got back in Emmett's orbit for 5 minutes and she decided to pull way back on her relationship with Travis. Sharing the apartment with Daphne was just an excuse for her to get out of living with Travis (which doesn't even make sense as an excuse to not live with Travis).

As for Emmett, I've dealt with depression off and on since I was a teenager, so I should empathize with him, but being depressed doesn't mean that you aren't also a selfish, manipulative jerk.

When Emmett pulled that "I never should have let you go" line, I wish Bay had responded with a straight-faced "Yeah.....and?" After a year in China, ain't nobody got time for that mess anymore.

Regina with a new boy toy - imagine that. Couldn't they have just had her going to school and doing something productive that didn't involve her in another relationship? The dinner scene with J&K about the girls' plans was hilarious. John wouldn't be John if he didn't object to at least one person's  life choices at the table. It's pretty clear that he's resigned himself to no longer having control over the women in his life and I'm loving it.

Speaking of which, I HATED the man bun on Travis but at least they let his attractiveness show for a while. The timeline jump actually confused me because I hadn't pieced together that Travis was in China with Bay and Daphne for 8 months rather than just a week. I was also under the impression that Bay was inviting Daphne to move in WITH them rather than kicking Travis out which was unfortunate. Her freaking out about classes and housing also made no sense - even if she was only a freshman, she should have known about registration deadlines, etc? Too bad so sad! Daphne could've always lived with the Kennishes or Melody but....

I will say that I like seeing the girls finally acting like sisters, and it only took 5 years! I hope the show can reel away from the relationship drama and focus on making the family aspect of their relationship a priority more this season. They've come a long way and it's nice to see them confide in one another more.

Edited by Eri
  • Love 1

I can't help it. I love e-bay together. Emmett is just so darn cute I would be all over him too. I can forgive his asshole behavior because this show hasn't been on in so long that I honestly forgot about what a jerk he was to bay.. I actually forgot a lot about this show ( way to go biggest time gap ever). I really also don't understand the whole big thing with mingo dressing up as lil wayne. How is that racist? It's a halloween costume. I've seen much worse than that

• Love 1

Travis is emotionally perceptive. He knows Bay all too well and is 100% that she got back into Emmetts orbit and dropped him like a hot potato. I was a huge Bay/Emmett fan in the beginning but NO, just no. 

I am looking forward to the previews regarding Mary Beth/Tank etc. If I were Mary Beth I wouldn't want to date Tank, and I'm eager to see how MB's/Bay's friendship plays out over this. Leaving aside the stuff with Bay (which is huge), Tank wanted to take MB to a "dog fight", but now you want to date her?!!!!

How could Daphne think she could disappear from school for 8months and things be exactly as she left them?!! 

• Love 1

dont get me started with the bay and tank story. They are still making it seem like he raped her? It was consensual drunk sex..That was even admitted. They are the same age. There is no rape that happened

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

How could Daphne think she could disappear from school for 8months and things be exactly as she left them?!! 

I like that Daphne just assumed that her Western college would give her course credit for practicing Eastern medicine and handing out herbs and oils in China for 8 months.

"Oh, you spent 8 months doing a job that has nothing to do with any of the 'pre-med' classes we teach? Sure, we'll give you credit for that."

Also, she doesn't have a job, she can just take extra courses and/or summer courses to catch up with her friends by graduation time if it's that important to her.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Travis is emotionally perceptive. He knows Bay all too well and is 100% that she got back into Emmetts orbit and dropped him like a hot potato. I was a huge Bay/Emmett fan in the beginning but NO, just no. 

I am looking forward to the previews regarding Mary Beth/Tank etc. If I were Mary Beth I wouldn't want to date Tank, and I'm eager to see how MB's/Bay's friendship plays out over this. Leaving aside the stuff with Bay (which is huge), Tank wanted to take MB to a "dog fight", but now you want to date her?!!!!

In all fairness, apparently the absence didnt affect Travis being at school  or on the baseball team at all--but I agree. I had forgotten about the "dog fight". yep thats crazy!!

• Love 1
On 2/1/2017 at 6:22 PM, KaveDweller said:

I hope they do something with her new eastern medicine experience though.

Me too. I can see Daphne wanting to get into a program with eastern medicine, acupuncture, etc instead of general western medicine. That was she fulfills her need to be a "doctor" of sorts but works on her own terms.

19 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

dont get me started with the bay and tank story. They are still making it seem like he raped her? It was consensual drunk sex..That was even admitted. They are the same age. There is no rape that happened

Quite funny. I was watching old episodes just yesterday and they showed the one when Bay went to a frat party at Tank's fraternity.  She got drunk and almost went upstairs with some guy when Tank took her aside asked her what the hell she is doing, she doesn't even know his name, etc.  Basically he saved her from drunk sex.  I always wished that with the Bay/Tank rape or consensual drunk episode they would have shown 3 versions: hers, his and then at the end after credits an unbiased truth for the audience. 

In the previews, they show MaryBeth is going out with Tank.  Not surprised.  Wasn't it MB who said during the drunk storyline that it was up to the girl to prevent this by *NOT* getting drunk? I would have to rewatch to confirm. 

I was firmly in the E-Bay camp during the first seasons but now its Travis/Bay all the way. Just bring back the scruff! 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I disagree. Bay blacked out. She doesn't remember what happened. She wasn't able to consent in that state. You can be the same age and still be raped. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
On 2/3/2017 at 2:15 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Tank wanted to take MB to a "dog fight", but now you want to date her?!!!!

It wasn't Tank, it was another guy from his fraternity that asked Mary Beth to the dog fight. I hope I don't get flamed for this but I hated what happened to Tank with the rape. I get that Bay was too drunk to consent but what happened was a horrible, tragic mistake. I honestly don't feel that Tank victimized her and based on his portrayal in all the time leading up to that and even following it...I can see why Mary Beth would be able to forgive him and be attracted to him. Don't get me wrong, I also hated what it did to Bay. Again - tragic. Horrible. 

Another thing that will probably get me flamed is that I can't help kind of still having a soft spot for Emmett and eBay. Especially now with the idea that he suffers from depression, which, while probably a retcon, would explain SO much (explain. not excuse.). I just hate that it means Travis has to get hurt. I love him, but I don't see him and Bay as end game. I honestly don't remember what happened to him and Mary Beth - I liked them together- though it would be too contrived and neat for Emmett and Bay and Travis and Mary Beth to all wind up back together. May as well bring back Wilkie for Daphne in that case!

• Love 1
14 hours ago, TOWTooMuchTV said:

May as well bring back Wilkie for Daphne in that case!

OMG, yes. Wilkie was my favorite guy for Daphne. I forgot what happened exactly but he left so suddenly. Mingo is good, too.

Sometimes I think this show is only meant for kids the way they cover so many educational topics on social issues. It's like reading Tumblr. They couldn't have made it more subtle and organic? I hope the cultural appropriation arc ends quick. 

If the writers want Emmett to be sympathetic once again, they played this whole thing wrong with the depression storyline. They should have just played it straight. He failed at college, ate humble pie, owned his mistakes and made up with people. That's all they need to do. But now it's like the characters on the show can't go against him because he may have depression. Bay/Emmett is so over and Bay reacted much better than I would have when he pulled the "I shouldn't have let you go" BS. Save it, douche.

That setting of rural China was hilarious. I get that they are under a budget but could they have made the props look any faker? I feel embarrassed for everyone involved.

To me, John is the voice of reason more often that not. Come on, these girls (Bay and Daphne) are so privileged that they could afford taking a year off from college/whatever to do some soul searching in China. Am I to believe that they supported themselves fully during this one year with being a clinic assistance and an amateur tattoo artist? Surely, J+K would have sent them money. And Bay getting that apartment for free without earning for it - no wonder she never feels like she needs to find a proper job and can just float through life, she has her dad's money to fall back on. Not saying being a tattoo artist isn't a proper job but she may flake on it once again. How about those art schools that she wanted to go to? And who is paying for Daphne's tuition fee? They should all listen to John a bit more, considering they are living off him to a large extent.

I understood Travis' frustration. Bay's abrupt change of mind is questionable, especially knowing the history between Bay/Emmett. Bay didn't even stop one second to think how Travis would feel. Daphne can still stay with J+K's right? Why did she have to move into that apartment if she can't get a room in hall?

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, waving feather said:

OMG, yes. Wilkie was my favorite guy for Daphne. I forgot what happened exactly but he left so suddenly. Mingo is good, too.

Sometimes I think this show is only meant for kids the way they cover so many educational topics on social issues. It's like reading Tumblr. They couldn't have made it more subtle and organic? I hope the cultural appropriation arc ends quick.

I think Daphne only had chemistry with a couple of her romantic interests on this show and Wilkie was definitely one of them. I'd be glad if he came back. He left because the actor got a job on The Carrie Diaries which is now cancelled, but I guess the actor hasn't been asked back or doesn't want to come back. They wrote that him out to go to boarding school. I'm meh on Mingo. I think he's a good guy and really into Daphne, but as someone else mentioned above, she doesn't take him seriously at all and they don't have the same kind of chemistry.

This show is on ABC Family/Freeform which does primarily gear itself for young women, but does skew younger. The show has felt after-schooly to me in some ways. It didn't seem like this in the first sesaon, but it definitely like it after the Carlton plots.

• Love 1

I really liked Daphne with Wilkie. He had some growing up to do but it would have been nice to see them grow together. I also liked his bromance with Toby. Mingo was okay but I really don't want to see him leave his girlfriend for Daphne. 

As for where Daphne can or should live, she could live with either the Kennishes or Regina. She may not want to live at home with a parent, but too bad, you're 20 and not in school or employed! Welcome to real life! However, I think Bay used Daphne's situation as an escape hatch to get out of living with Travis. He is spot on about Emmett being the cause of that, for better or worse. 

• Love 1
On 2/4/2017 at 0:29 PM, Court said:

I disagree. Bay blacked out. She doesn't remember what happened. She wasn't able to consent in that state. You can be the same age and still be raped. 

You can't actually tell if someone is blacked out in any reliable way by observing them.  It's entirely possible for a person to be drunk, to do things, say things, and appear to be far less intoxicated than they are but have no memory of it later. They can walk, talk, play games, dance, and have sex while seeming to be only slightly drunk, but not be writing any of it to permanent memory. All of that happens, and not even the person who won't remember it is aware that they won't. That's "blacked out".

Then there's "passed out", which means someone is not conscious and is clearly unable to consent to anything because they are unable to speak or undertake any voluntary action, and it is blatantly obvious to everyone around them that they are not conscious.

Having sex with a person in the latter state is clearly rape. The former? Not necessarily, because they may appear to every reasonable observer able and willing and consenting.