Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E27: Squash It

• Start Topic

Good to know that Dylan was as obnoxious about his writing in his past life as in this.

I find it funny that Warren's parents aren't going with him. He's 13 or whatever, and random students are taking care of him. Maybe his parents are tired of him and are looking forward to be rid of him, but the Walshes ruin that.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty certain that Warren turned into Gabe the gambling addict from that episode of Intervention.

There was a joke on The Good Place recently about Tahani's favorite BBC sitcom, which ran for 16 years and had nearly 30 episodes. It reminded me of 90210 but, you know, the exact opposite. There are - what? - at least 4 episodes left this season and we're already on episode 27. Though this episode definitely feels like a filler.

When do Claire and David break up the second time? I definitely did not remember them getting back together.

Edited by MerBearStare
  • Love 3

I loved hearing Better Off Dead mentioned. I love that weird little movie. I tried showing it to my friends though and they weren't feeling it at all. It's hit or miss, I guess.

Back on topic, I guess David's sudden feelings for Donna were just to get him to go visit his mom? Like that was the whole point right? Poor Clare just gets stuck with whoever doesn't have anything going on in their storyline.

• Love 1

I feel the need to defend the musical taste of Australia by explaining that Unearthed (the website where David found the bio for the real-life Bloody Roo) is a competition for unsigned bands - anyone can upload to it, and the bio was probably written by the band.

Maybe in the 90s there weren't as many Australian actors trying to make it in LA, but I'm always surprised when US shows can't find someone with a real Aussie accent. I honestly can't think of any actor who can do it convincingly. 

Lastly, was re-watching some B99 the other day, and Peralta says that he still has the Jason Priestley cologne he wore in middle school. “It’s just called Brandon, and it’s overpowering.”

• Love 4
4 hours ago, MerBearStare said:

When do Claire and David break up the second time? I definitely did not remember them getting back together.

Between Season 5 and Season 6. Just a passing mention. No one knows why.

I liked Clare and David. It was like the least important relationship that really could have been more. Also as someone who is black, man, this episode is funny. It is so absurd which makes it funny as hell. David solving race relationships better than Brandon ever did. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I loved hearing Better Off Dead mentioned. I love that weird little movie. I tried showing it to my friends though and they weren't feeling it at all. It's hit or miss, I guess.

Back on topic, I guess David's sudden feelings for Donna were just to get him to go visit his mom? Like that was the whole point right? Poor Clare just gets stuck with whoever doesn't have anything going on in their storyline.

I love Better Off Dead too and hearing it mentioned really made my day. I'm like Tara and I keep looking for it but I guess I'll have to buy the DVD.

Because I am a huge baseball nerd and cannot leave well enough alone...

(1) The Seattle Pilots are not the Seattle Mariners

(2) The Minnesota Twins are not an expansion team.

1. The Seattle Pilots were an expansion Team in 1969 - at the end of the season, they were sold to a used-car salesman named Bud Selig, who moved them to Milwaukee and renamed them the Milwaukee Brewers. As a note, the Original Milwaukee Brewers moved to St. Louis to become the Browns, and are now the Baltimore Orioles.

2. The Minnesota Twins were the Washington Nats/Senators from 1901 to 1960 - they were moved and became the Twins.

3. In 1961, the American League expanded, adding the Angels and Washington Senators. (This Senators team is now the Texas Rangers.

Gah, I hate this episode. It's stupid, cringeworthy and boring all at once.  And Steve can go have several seats. So tired of his rich white male privilege - when he gets in trouble with the law and can't plan parties (OH THE HORROR!) we're supposed to be all upset and feel for him. Who even said Juwan was a gang member? Because if he WAS a legit Blood and/or Crip, he would've put David in his place with a quickness. And to have only Nat mildly call Steve out bugs the shit out of me. Hip Hop Night is okay so long as the people who, you know, created the genre, aren't involved?  Overall, I like the Steve character, but I hate how the writers always use him to be that guy. 

Shallow comment: I think Ray is ugly. There, I said it.  It's like he's supposed to be good looking in theory, but it all came out wrong. 

• Love 6
13 hours ago, DaBigDave said:

Because I am a huge baseball nerd and cannot leave well enough alone...

(1) The Seattle Pilots are not the Seattle Mariners

(2) The Minnesota Twins are not an expansion team.

1. The Seattle Pilots were an expansion Team in 1969 - at the end of the season, they were sold to a used-car salesman named Bud Selig, who moved them to Milwaukee and renamed them the Milwaukee Brewers. As a note, the Original Milwaukee Brewers moved to St. Louis to become the Browns, and are now the Baltimore Orioles.

2. The Minnesota Twins were the Washington Nats/Senators from 1901 to 1960 - they were moved and became the Twins.

3. In 1961, the American League expanded, adding the Angels and Washington Senators. (This Senators team is now the Texas Rangers.

I barely remember the beginning of the Mariners was 1977 (way after the Pilots left), because the first game happened right around when my brother was born. We had just gotten an NFL team at the time, too. I used to go to the King Dome for games and it was the most fun ever. RIP Dave Niehaus. 

I blocked this episode out- and always get it confused with the "electric slide" episode.  Steve is just awful.  I agree that his level of privilege is crazy.  I hate how he thinks having Juwan in the club is what will cause Steve to violate his probation, even though just being involved at all violates his probation.  Maybe Juwan is like Steve only he didn't have a Griffin who had so much money to pay everyone off and bribe a clerk to skirt doing community service.

I would have preferred that someone really tear Steve a new one on his hypocrisy.  Also, did anyone defend again the "monkey music" comment? 

It's just a mess- the cultural appropriation (don't even get me started on David's cadence) and entitlement... all so gross.  It almost makes me want to time travel with Dylan.

Ray isn't my cup of tea but honestly none of the guys are that great.  Look at today's teen shows and those guys and gals are all model material.  The 90210 reboot, Gossip Girl, etc...all feature much eye candy! I do agree that Ray needs to keep his shirt on at all time.

On 1/17/2017 at 0:40 AM, gpgurl50 said:

Sadly, going forward, this becomes a recurring element of the show - when David and Donna are not together, they'll step away from their current love interests for an episode or two every season and flirt with the idea of being together again.  

As for Claire and David, I feel like they're both better off in season 6.  I always liked Claire with Steve, and David with Valerie.

Edited by TeeVee329

I dunno, if anything, while Steve's attitude may not be the best, it does make him seem more realistic and authentic. I can't imagine most rich white kids in Beverly Hills would care about or be aware of buzzwords like privilege today, let alone back in the mid-90s.

• Love 1

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty certain that Warren turned into Gabe the gambling addict from that episode of Intervention.

There was a joke on The Good Place recently about Tahani's favorite BBC sitcom, which ran for 16 years and had nearly 30 episodes. It reminded me of 90210 but, you know, the exact opposite. There are - what? - at least 4 episodes left this season and we're already on episode 27. Though this episode definitely feels like a filler.

If I remember correctly, they break up over the summer- off screen. All I remember is Steve telling Brandon? about it in the first episode of the new season.

Yeah i want to say out of the whole main cast, steve is the most realistic. 

Donna- not cute but gets every attractive guy who looks her way and always being looked at as a saint who can do no wrong.   Not.

Kelly- Gods gift to everyone and everything. Not

Val- her personality changes like the wind. You're either a bad person or a good person val, doesn't work both ways.

Brandon- Always a do gooder who passes judgment on everything ever.

David- would actually be interested in Donna. Would actually have anything that resembles a music career.... NOT.

Steve at least is a douche who makes mistakes and knows it's not the end of the world. He doesn't pretend to be a saint. He knows hes a frat boy who gets into trouble and doesn't care.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, MCMLXXVII said:

True, I was in college at the time, and the LBGT organization declared a "Gay Jeans Day", where you wear jeans to support gay rights (being that most of us wore jeans anyway), and some of the frat-types (and frats weren't even officially recognized at my school) made sure to wear khakis to show their dissent. We've come a long way in 20 years. 

Though I'd think Steve would be a bit more liberal (or at least smart enough not to be openly racist) from growing up around the entertainment industry and wanting to be a party planner/ music manager. 

• Love 1