Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Welcome to New York

I really enjoyed last season, the kids were all great. After watching this first episode, so far, I can't say the same for this new season.

the kids seem older and quirkier.  I haven't decided if that's a good or bad thing. And some of them are annoying, looking at you Rene and your bondage couture. This kid is 17! How does he know about....never mind. Everytime they showed Izzy in her TH I wanted to reach thru my TV and snatch that plant off her head. But I liked her design and she deserved the win.

I wanted Chris to go home because he acted so bratty after the runway critique, plus I didn't like his ill fitting pants and all those different colors together. 

The 13 boy who talks real fast reminds me of Steve Urkel from Family Matters.

It's early so I hope everyone settles down because I want to enjoy these kids and see what they do especially after I just got done watching the adult version of this show which kind of sucked.

• Love 7

I'm just so happy to see Christian Siriano with his constructively critical, but nice, comments.  I'm even warming up to Kelly Osborne, but I think that her taste is somewhat questionable.

After this season and last season of Project Runway, this show is a refreshing change....so far.

• Love 11

I prefer last season's cast because they were mostly younger and there was only one "mean girl" boy among them and even then his claws weren't full grown.   There was still a kid in there somewhere.

I dislike Rene already, getting a 

joshua_fetishizing.jpg

vibe from him.  Chris seems like kind of a jerk too.    He should have gone home tonight IMHO, but I figured he wouldn't because in Project Runway Land when the choice is down to a bitchy guy or a girl, the bitchy guy almost always stays.

• Love 7

I know these are teens, but the sewing of some of these kids was pretty bad.  Last season, I was impressed with how excellent their sewings skills were, but last night, I saw really bad sewing.  I'm wondering if tailoring isn't as important as design?  The black dress with the neon green trim was sewn so badly and I just didn't get the judges drooling over it.  It was nothing more than a slip dress with weird sleeves and a bit of green.  

I thought the bondage couture was totally awful.  This kid is only 17 and he's already talking bondage/hooker designs?   Do I see a future at Fredericks of Hollywood?  

Chris should have been gone.  His "design" was so bad that I thought he'd be the first to go.  I hope he's not this year's Matt from season 1.  

Someone please take Kelly and give that girl a makeover.  Her hair and the scalp tat is just too much and everyone is so over the weird color.

• Love 7

Aww, I guess I'm willing to be more forgiving and reserve judgment after the excellence of season one. Chris, who was indeed bitchy post critique, was also the kid who said that beautiful people intimidated him because he's a potato, which made me sympathetic to him. I think there's a lot of bravado there. Yes, CloverHead was a bit precious, but she explained it was a trend in China (I think) and she seemed down to earth otherwise. I cut artistic kids a lot of slack, I admit. No one struck me as terrible, although poor Urkel is pretty annoying. Definitely not as impressed with their designs, but it's too early to judge. My hopes are still high, as the kids seem supportive of one another and that was one of the most charming aspects of the first go-round to me. Also, seeing Christian always warms my heart!

• Love 9

Even with their quirks, I'm still liking these kids a LOT more than the group we just dealt with on the mother show.  They may be encouraged to initially bring the drama, but it dropped off from the kids last season, so hopefully the same thing will happen this season. 

If I had ONE wish, it would be that neoprene fabric would disappear entirely off the face of the earth.  I think It's ugly. It's stiff. It looks horrible and no woman on the planet can pull it off unless she's also got a scuba tank strapped to her.

I'm delighted to see C. Siriano as usual, I adore him.  Kelly annoys me less also, but let's get back to less childish looking hair, shall we dear?  Hannah is improving, so no real complaints about her.  

I'm in and looking forward to seeing what these young folks bring....

• Love 12

Hawwaa is a bit of an enigma.

The kids asked her if the hijab was part of her culture and she said no, then laughed in her talking head about people making assumptions about it.   But her last name is Ibrahim, which is a Muslim/Arabic name.   So I'm thinking it's not that far fetched for people to ask. 

Edited by millennium
15 minutes ago, arieswriting said:

I think the girl was asking if the coloured eyebrows were part of her culture, not the hijab. At least, that's what I assumed.

You may be right.   But I seem to recall Hawwaa specifically referencing the head scarf in those moments I described, something to the effect of "i believe anybody can wear what they like so if i feel like wearing a head scarf, I will."  i remember remarking at the time "so much for cultural appropriation" (a politically correct viewpoint I can't stand, that dictates if you wear ethnic apparel and you're not a member of that ethnic group then you're being insulting --white girls with bindis, for example).   

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1

My favourite was the schizo-print outfit with the crazy colours - Chris's.

Ruby's purple outfit wasn't bad at all, just a tiny bit boring. I  thought it was sophisticated though.

It's really hard for me to get excited about a black outfit.  (The "ninja" one.)

The Bondage outfit - they would hate it if the PR Adults did it.  I think the skirt was cool but the rest was overboard.  No good.

@Gemma Violet now I've read the other posts.  Turns out I have echoed you - without meaning to!

Really wish I never had to see Kelly Osborne ever again.  I'm fine with the other judges.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

When I saw that boring creativity free, purple prom dress with the overly long train come out, I thought "Oh, you're going home, Lucas". I know he had too invisible an edit to go, but still, I just couldn't believe he'd survive.  But he was safe!  Then Chris wound up on the bottom, and, aside from fit issues (and who didn't have fit issues) I loved it. It felt very 80's inspired and fun. These judges and I may have a problem this season.

• Love 3

The true hero of the episode was the tattooed Mood worker who had to listen to Urkel take the scenic route on the way to his question.

I'm not immediately in love with any of these kids yet, but it since half the cast stayed in the background this week I'll wait and see. I was warming to Daisy-Head Mayzie but she lost me with her pretentious "hot in Japan" explanation.

It was kind of shocking when Chris had his little hissy fit; I don't recall any attitude last season.

Edited by cousin oliver
Clarity
  • Love 5

I like Chris's outfit also. I liked the colors and mix of prints.
I would have liked his pants more if they'd been sewn/fitted
better. (the whole outfit reminded me of an NYC taxicab).

He seems like a typical teenager to me. Sometimes they're
surly and sometimes you want to smack them. But I grew up with
2 brothers and have only nephews so I'm use to the glum.

I liked Chris's outfit much better than that green thing/top with
the neon ribbing on the sleeves. Maybe it was my tv but this looked
awful and poorly sewn. I think the right person went home although
I felt really bad for the poor kid. She seemed so much younger than
everyone else.

And I agree that these kids don't seem to sew as well as last yr's group.

• Love 1
On 12/23/2016 at 11:41 AM, KLovestoShop said:

I thought the bondage couture was totally awful.  This kid is only 17 and he's already talking bondage/hooker designs?   Do I see a future at Fredericks of Hollywood?  

His dress reminded me of an old Mary Tyler Moore show episode, when Mary befriended a former hooker who became a fashion designer, who of course made wildly hoochie clothes. One of her dresses had a detail like the "bondage couture" guy's outfit. 

20 minutes ago, sleepyjean said:

Please tell me that child's name isn't really Cartier Dior.

I laughed out loud and said "if that's her real name I'll eat my hat". for real. Props to her for saying it with a straight face. I thought she was cute, though. I loved the little girl who asked to hug Tim! 

Some of these kids are a tad affected, but I put it down to teenage self consciousness and nerves. I expect they'll settle down soon. 

• Love 5

I love PR Juniors, and I'm so happy to see it back.  Anything that gets Christian back on my TV is welcome - I even suffered through Threads, believing all along that there was the nub of a good show in there somewhere.  In the effort to keep the pressure down, whoever created Threads totally missed the mark, and it's interesting that a junior version of PR itself was the fix. It's hard to remember how the first group struck me last year, but I ended up with so much respect for them, and after the disaster of Ashley's season on PR, Juniors was a great palate cleanser.  Although I'm not sure if the skills of this group are as good as last season's bunch, my fingers are crossed that this crop of youngsters will pull through for us and give us another enjoyable run.  

• Love 3
22 hours ago, millennium said:

You may be right.   But I seem to recall Hawwaa specifically referencing the head scarf in those moments I described, something to the effect of "i believe anybody can wear what they like so if i feel like wearing a head scarf, I will."  i remember remarking at the time "so much for cultural appropriation" (a politically correct viewpoint I can't stand, that dictates if you wear ethnic apparel and you're not a member of that ethnic group then you're being insulting --white girls with bindis, for example).   

The question about culture was definitely in reference to her eyebrows. I just finished watching. 

I'm not as impressed with this group as I was with last season's,  but since  it's the first episode, I'm going to keep my hopes high for a bit. Overall,  though,  they seem like fine kiddos.

I saw some good work, some shoddy work, and am looking forward to next week. I wanted to elaborate, but my nephew just barged in, lol! 

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, Scorpiosunshine said:

The question about culture was definitely in reference to her eyebrows. I just finished watching. 

I'm not as impressed with this group as I was with last season's,  but since  it's the first episode, I'm going to keep my hopes high for a bit. Overall,  though,  they seem like fine kiddos.

I saw some good work, some shoddy work, and am looking forward to next week. I wanted to elaborate, but my nephew just barged in, lol! 

Thanks for the clarification.  I can never bring myself to rewatch Project Runway.   In fact, I don't think I've ever watched any episode twice.

The first season was very impressive, I think because the kids were younger and not yet committed to any one style, although Peytie did have that California bohemian thing going on.  But certainly no one announced, "I specialize in bondage couture," which struck me as sleazy and kinda sad coming from a 17-year-old boy.   

Edited by millennium
  • Love 6

I take it as a given that all these kids watched the previous juniors, and were coached, prodded and advised by family, friends and the producers.   Have a "point of view", no matter how ridiculous, be endearing, kiss up to Tim, throw out those quips you've been practicing, be snarky but not too mean, etc....

They will be fighting their natural tendencies & reactions for a while, but they'll come out eventually.   And I think the slightly older group means less teen-focused design and more "let's try & shock the adults" garments, ala Bondage Boy & his Hooker Couture.  

• Love 3

I have nothing bad to say about this crop.  It's impossible to compete with the charm of the first season and it's "newness".  There are enough good designers to keep me onboard :). 

The only major fashion flop on the first episode was the plant growing out of Izzie's head.  I keep wondering if she has soil on her scalp and if the root system will invade her brain!  Far too distracting.  Having said that, I agree with the judges about her win.  The dress was really well done - and not anything I recall seeing on Project Runway before.  Leave it to the youngin's to bring something new to the table.  I think Izzie is the one to beat this season.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Jextella said:

I have nothing bad to say about this crop.  It's impossible to compete with the first season and it's "newness".  There are enough good designers to keep me onboard :). 

The only major fashion flop on the first episode was the plant growing out of Izzie's head.  I keep wondering if she has soil on her scalp and if the root system will invade her brain!  Far too distracting.  

Thank you for my first good laugh of the day.   

• Love 2

The problem I have with these shows exploiting children is that I think kids should not be subject to the negativity of social media for the sake of a tv show. I felt the same way about Will on Survivor and he was 18.

i mean do kids need to read people making fun of them for their name, for example?

The negativity is hard for adults to manage and people can be treated badly. I just think these kids shouldn't be treated the same as adults.

in my small town a teenage girl committed suicide one morning before school in part because of how she was being treated by other kids at school. It makes me concerned for the reactions of all under age children on tv shows.

Edited by rose711
  • Love 5

I loved S1 of PR Jr (Peytie, call me!) so I had high hopes for S2. Allie's voice reminded me of Peytie's so I was hoping she would be as awesome. Despite the way Allie described her style, I thought her dress had a little bit of a Peytie vibe to it too (wishful thinking?). The bell sleeves and the pattern in the middle gave it a boho vibe (more than several of the designs that were described as bohemian).

One thing I really enjoyed about this episode was how excited the kids were about the work room, the sewing machines, and just being on the show. But at the risk of sounding like an old lady, some of these kids need or learn how to enunciate. There were a few times when I couldn't understand what they said so I rewound and still couldn't understand what the hell they were saying. Hanna is less wooden than S1 so yay?

While I totally support people (teenagers as well as adults) having multiple interests, I have to admit that when Ruby mentioned that she also sings and does theater, I immediately became suspicious that she is here for the publicity and that her ultimate goal is just to become famous. Then I felt bad thinking negatively about a 14 year old. I wasn't crazy about her design. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't interesting. It was a black crop top with a long purple skirt. The design was way too simple. If you're going to have very simple silhouettes then you need to punch it up with something else. Heh, maybe she should have had Chris pick out a crazy print for her!

Ugh, why are so many of the designers obsessed with neoprene? I really question Molly's skill level if she says she loves neoprene but then says it's not draping properly for her design. Your fabric and your design have to go hand in hand. You can't just choose a material willy nilly without considering how it lays and how it drapes. It turned out better than I thought it would (I was expecting a huge shapeless dress like the ones Erin has been making on PR) but I HATED the mesh sleeves.

What was with the plant sprouting from the top of Izzy's head during her talking head interview? I know she said it's a trend in China but it just looked cray. Plus I just kept imagining that every time she got in and out of a car, she would knock the plant over. I didn't love her color blocked top and long skirt. I get that she was trying to combine athleisure with a dress but I just felt like there were too many things going on in one outfit.

A'kai's problem isn't that he talks too much but that he uses a hundred words when five will do. I felt bad for the Mood employee who had to listen to him blather on about how he was looking for some fabric and then he gave up and then came over to ask him about it but he might just to look for it himself again. GET TO THE POINT MORE QUICKLY, DUDE. I really did not like his runway look. Maybe if he had listened to Tim and layered those little white things more, it would have been more interesting but what he sent down the runway looked like a mermaid bikini top with a high waisted skirt.

I know I can't blame anyone for what their parents named them, but Cartier? COME ON. Her New York skyline dress was a snooze for me because, really, how many times have we seen that on PR?

I had to laugh when Chris said that his designs are supposed to hurt your eyes (and I'm all for color, texture, and prints). But dude, you know that you need to learn how to make pants so you can do separates but you didn't try to make pants without a pattern before you came on the show? I hated the matching shirt and shorts he wore on the first day. Even though he had a lot of different prints in his runway design, I thought they worked well together (or at least better than I thought they would look when I initially saw all the different fabric he had gathered at his work station). Maybe he will be the Uli of this season if he can rein it in a little bit.

I'm not a fan of Rene's bondage couture, but I loved that he called Tim "dad." Rene thought that his look was edgy but I thought it looked dated. I agreed with the judges that if he had made the center piece black then it would have looked better constructed. I think if he had done a simpler top and paired it with the bondage skirt, I would have liked it better. But having the top AND the skirt all bondaged to the max was too much for me.

I was interested to see Hawwaa's vintage inspired design, but I didn't really get vintage from her white dress with blue squares. The squares were not perfectly lined up which I found distracting.

I like Chelsea's personality so I hope she lasts. I liked her black ninja inspired design but I didn't love it. The accent color on the sheer sleeves was a fun touch.

Lucas's navy blue gown was pretty and flowed nicely. I liked the draping/cap in the back for extra drama too.

I liked the black skirt of Tieler's outfit more than I liked the black and white top. His model had a tiny waist!

• Love 3

I watched the first couple of seasons of PR, but life disrupted my tv viewing schedule for a couple of years.  Just caught a couple of eps of PR recently and decided to give Juniors a look.  

After reading comments here about S1, I am now going to watch the S2 eps followed by the S1 eps to compare-contrast.

like Chelsea (ninja stalker dress) so far in terms of personality.  Style-wise no one stands out yet.

• Love 1

I thought the plant on the head was kind of weird too, but creative kids in this age group are always going to be trying out weird things. I remember being that age and wearing all kinds of odd stuff. They're expressing themselves and trying out new things and getting to know who they are. It's kind of sweet. That's a difficult age to live through. So why not make it fun?

• Love 7
On 12/25/2016 at 10:49 PM, Jextella said:

The only major fashion flop on the first episode was the plant growing out of Izzie's head.  I keep wondering if she has soil on her scalp and if the root system will invade her brain!  Far too distracting.  Having said that, I agree with the judges about her win.  The dress was really well done - and not anything I recall seeing on Project Runway before.  Leave it to the youngin's to bring something new to the table.  I think Izzie is the one to beat this season.

Apparently it's a clip-on?

http://www.businessinsider.com/chinas-obsession-with-plant-and-flower-hair-clips-2015-10/#perhaps-its-only-a-matter-of-time-before-we-see-this-trend-make-its-way-to-the-us-16 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Dang, I just realized that Lifetime is doing a Season 1 marathon right now! Thankfully, I'm three hours behind most of you, so I only missed 3 episodes. 

Me too! Binge watched the whole season yesterday into the early morning hours (DVR). I was blown away by these teen designers, and every one of them had better collections than the last season's adult contestants. They have really set a high bar for attitude, talent, and execution. 

And now I get to enjoy the Junior's second season!

• Love 2

I've watched PR since day 1 and love it. PRJ is an interesting spinoff and fairly entertaining as well. Part of the magic is the personalities in the workroom. Who doesn't love watching insult ridden repartee?! I do!! Some of these kids seem like real teenagers who love design. Some are there seemingly for other reasons. But did the casting folks purposely seek out the most annoying gay (male) youth on the planet? I am all out for expression but jeez Louise!! Are there any gay young designer hopefuls out there who don't feed into that stereotype? All that aside, I really hope this show sparks our youth into exlporing talents and away from playing Pokeman Go all day.

On 12/22/2016 at 10:31 PM, Straycat80 said:

I really enjoyed last season, the kids were all great. After watching this first episode, so far, I can't say the same for this new season.

the kids seem older and quirkier.  I haven't decided if that's a good or bad thing. And some of them are annoying, looking at you Rene and your bondage couture. This kid is 17! How does he know about....never mind. Everytime they showed Izzy in her TH I wanted to reach thru my TV and snatch that plant off her head. But I liked her design and she deserved the win.

I wanted Chris to go home because he acted so bratty after the runway critique, plus I didn't like his ill fitting pants and all those different colors together. 

The 13 boy who talks real fast reminds me of Steve Urkel from Family Matters.

It's early so I hope everyone settles down because I want to enjoy these kids and see what they do especially after I just got done watching the adult version of this show which kind of sucked.

Agreed. Rene I think wants to purposely shock you in that way...it's like he's saying " look at me, look at me! I am only 17 and like bondage couture. Aren't I more interesting than these other kids?" Rene, it aint all that honey. lol.

On 12/27/2016 at 3:28 PM, kat165 said:

I thought the plant on the head was kind of weird too, but creative kids in this age group are always going to be trying out weird things. I remember being that age and wearing all kinds of odd stuff. They're expressing themselves and trying out new things and getting to know who they are. It's kind of sweet. That's a difficult age to live through. So why not make it fun?

I thought the clover leaf was whimsical and perfect for a teenage girl into design to express herself. It becomes annoying when the sole purpose is to illicit a response. " look at me! I am cooler than everyone because I put a plant on my head!"

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Scooby Dont said:

I thought the clover leaf was whimsical and perfect for a teenage girl into design to express herself. It becomes annoying when the sole purpose is to illicit a response. " look at me! I am cooler than everyone because I put a plant on my head!"

I thought it was cute until she called attention to it herself...had one of the judges asked her, that would have been one thing but it came across as desperate for attention. 

I nearly wet myself during the intros when the one boy got over excited and fell off his chair. He's my favorite right now just for that! 

• Love 2

I loved Chris's look and hated Izzy's - take a look at Izzy's model's butt when she turns. You'd think she had a shelf on her behind because the neoprene sticks out so far. I like Izzy as a person but really - who's going running - get sweated up and then wear that same item to a dressier affair that evening. My favorite was Lucas's gown. I liked Molly's too and felt it was way better than Cartier, Allie, Chelsea, Haawaa and Rene's looks. Had Rene's dress been made by an adult on PR - they would have been ripped to shreds about the amt of skin showing, the cut near the crotch, the fact it wasn't a jacket but trim sewn together ect...

And I agree with the above - the technical skill and sewing ability was much better last season.

• Love 2

Loved Maya and Peytie last season...their design and sewing skills were top notch, and they knew how to work with fabric and make smart choices. So, they are a tough act to follow. But, like others, I love Christian...and he is so kind in his critiques, but still on point. 

This season, I don't know. Molly had a good portfolio of looks, but  a shapeless neoprene dress with net sleeves...just no. Lucas had a great negligee, but an uninspiring look for those not in MGM musicals. I think Chris had a good idea, but his tailoring and sewing skills really let him down. And Rene's look was so 70s to me...something from the old meatpacking district. 

Izzy was annoying but her athletic look worked on the runway. And Chelsea is very sweet, but her sewing needs a lot of upgrading. 

Cartier's dress was not a wow, but it was well made and showed finish and polish. I bet she can do a lot more.

I binge-watched season 1 the other day.  The S1 crop was sooo talented - esp. the F4 - Maya, Peytie, Zachary, and Samantha) .  At one point Hannah referred to them as prodigies.  I agree with that.  All of the final 4 were exceptional - both in terms of taste and execution.

I don't think we have 4 of the same caliber in S2.    Chelsea and Izzy are the only 2 standouts for me thus 4.  I hope 2 more rise to the challenge so we have a decent and interesting competition.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 1

I was completely annoyed that Rene called Tim dad.  Way too early and familiar.

Izzy, you don't need to call out your stupid plant thing. Ugh!

The kids are trying too hard.

Neoprine!!!! Goodness, can they remove that from Mood?

• Love 1
On 1/3/2017 at 4:34 AM, hatchetgirl said:

Neoprine!!!! Goodness, can they remove that from Mood?

Seriously!! I assume the copious use of neoprene is because it doesn't need to be hemmed but it's so overused.  Not every outfit needs to be able to double as scuba gear...

• Love 4

So I went back and watched the beginning of this episode where Hawwaa is asked about her eyebrows when everyone is complimenting her look her shoes, 

One of the girls (Izzy, I think) says " I love your eyebrows, are they part of your culture?"

Hawwaa says "No." then continuing on in an interview she says: "Sometimes people are confused by the Muslim headscarf that I wear but fashion means you can be who you want to be."

My take on this is that she is being kind that people think her religion dictates her self-expression through fashion. She is not saying she isn't Muslim. She's saying being Muslim doesn't mean she can't have her own unique style.

Your views may very of course.

i did find a couple of articles that discuss her being proud of using vintage designs that stay true to iher Muslim faith. Her mother says of course we are Muslim and I used to have these big scarves that I would let her use.

http://www.fox9.com/news/224590842-story

http://www.gomn.com/news/a-muslim-teen-from-mn-will-be-competing-on-project-runway-junior/

Putting this in the episode thread for reference if nothing else. For some reason her head scarf and religion have been coming up in other episodes. I appreciate that the show addresses this question within the first few minutes of meeting her, even if Izzy was a little rude about it.

She basically disappears for the rest of the episode. I was surprised on a rewatch how few of the designers were featured. In my memory they all had equal time, but not so much.

Edited by rose711
  • Love 1

I think she's fooling herself.  People aren't confused by her Muslim headscarf.  They think she's a Muslim and she is.  There's no confusion there.  She seems like a typical teenager, who thinks she's being clever, but she's really not.

• Love 3
On 1/10/2017 at 3:53 PM, Canada said:

I think she's fooling herself.  People aren't confused by her Muslim headscarf.  They think she's a Muslim and she is.  There's no confusion there.  She seems like a typical teenager, who thinks she's being clever, but she's really not.

I know posters here were confused if she was Muslim because of her piercings and other things relating to her appearance. No idea if anyone who sees her in real life is confused or not.

Edited by rose711