Type keyword(s) to search

Let's Rank The All-Time Best Top Chef Boyfriends!

Primetimer
  • Start Topic

While I do really like Sam, my very favorite didn't make the list. :(  That would be Doug Adams.  I thought he was adorable, seemed to be a good guy and was a terrific chef.

Edited by ProudMary
Because auto correct is not my friend.
  • Love 4

I just don't see it.  It seems this article writer has a type.  Too me, Sam has always come off as a bit smarmy, greasy, and self important.  I also disagree with the author in that I don't think his working with diabetes really makes him sensitive.  His Marcel bullying and victim blaming didn't endear him to me at all either.  

I also find Fabio quite repugnant (and also smarmy, greasy, and self important).  

I always had a soft spot for Gregory (S12), Jeff (S5), Louis (S11), and Dale L and Hung (S3).  

[edited to get my seasons correct]

Edited by AntManBee
  • Love 5

Isaac is one of my favorites, so I'm happy to see him on this list.

I would have picked C.J. from Season 3 as my boyfriend, but when he did his second-chance season, I fell out of love with him.

2 hours ago, jtallman said:

Brian Voltaggio is a very nice man. He's from Maryland and started his flagship restaurant Volt in Frederick. He gives back to the community all the time.

Good to know. I think some feelings of entitlement crept in during his season, but I think that can happen in a high pressure environment when you really are very talented and some others around you (cough Isabella cough) are not.

Aww, Yigit. I had forgotten about my gay Israeli pastry chef boyfriend. Looooved him. He will make my desserts while Rufus Wainwright sings me to sleep every night, Tim Gunn designs my clothes, and David Sedaris and I make catty comments in movies while we speak French to each other. I heart my imaginary gay harem.

Aaaaanyway.

Sam was my Season 2 boyfriend too...pretty damn sexy, and really clever with the food. I loved that he blew everyone away by serving seasoned popcorn as a palate cleanser. So creative and innovative, and yay, I love popcorn! But then he had to get clique-y with the jerk crowd and they were so middle-school bully with Marcel, so I just couldn't with him anymore. But I would still eat his popcorn, if ya know what I mean.

I did also love me some Doug and Bryan Voltaggio. And Stephanie is my girl crush.

Hmmm...Top Chef Marry, F**K, Kill?

Marry Bryan V
F**k Sam
Kill? Blais. Always kill Blais.

• Love 1

This is where I admit that I have weird Top Chef boyfriend tastes.  My two favorites from Top Chef/Top Chef Masters have always been Michael Voltaggio and randomly, Douglas Keene from Top Chef Masters season 5.  Those are also two men who could not be more different, both physically and personality-wise, so I have no idea what this says about me.  Probably just that I like to eat and want a man who can cook me delicious food.

• Love 1

Nice to see Isaac Toups acknowledged for his boyfriendliness. I've wanted Mark's morning-eggs scenario with Toup ever since I lived in New Orleans and tasted the wonder of his meats (not a euphemism).
I like 'em big and cuddly and talented and funny but that's having a type, so it makes sense. What doesn't make sense is that my all-time drives-me-wild wolfie-with-his-tongue-hanging-out-at-Red-Hot-Riding-Hood TC boyfriend is...Stefan.
I dunno, you guys. Imaginary love is strange.

• Love 4

Ewwww, Sam. I haven't seen Season 14. He'll have to do something as major as the size of the Grand Canyon to be redeemed from his actions in Season 2. Because he wasn't the best, he was two degrees off from the nadir of the WORST in Ilan. (Ilan, shudder!) Sam fostered that whole bullying environment. He's overrated as a cook too, during that season. 

• Love 1

Nice to see Isaac Toups acknowledged for his boyfriendliness. I've wanted Mark's morning-eggs scenario with Toup ever since I lived in New Orleans and tasted the wonder of his meats (not a euphemism).
I like 'em big and cuddly and talented and funny but that's having a type, so it makes sense. What doesn't make sense is that my all-time drives-me-wild wolfie-with-his-tongue-hanging-out-at-Red-Hot-Riding-Hood TC boyfriend is...Stefan.
I dunno, you guys. Imaginary love is strange.

Imaginary love IS strange, but we have to let it happen all the same! Point being: I'm feeling you on the Toups love, and your euphemism crack made me laugh out loud. Like... for real laugh out loud. Not LOL.

• Love 1

I thought that the guy who looked like Jeremy Sisto was the best looking one.

Totally a side note. I took my Mom to Steven Aspinio's place in Palm Beach for Mother's Dad a few years ago. He was adorable in person! Much less Ed Grimley that he appeared on TV. He stopped by our table to chat for a bit and was lovely. Not arrogant or condescending at all. And the food was epic so he would deserve some bragging rights.

4 minutes ago, The Solution said:

How was Spike not on this list? He'd be my boyfriend if I liked boys.

Today is his birthday. :)

I also find Fabio quite repugnant (and also smarmy, greasy, and self important).  

He couldn't be nicer. He personally got in touch with me when I reached out to him for a donation of an auction item for the American Cancer Society. A signed copy of his latest cookbook.

• Love 1

I don't want to live in a world that has Sam and Isaac as the top two.  Both seem so fucking needy if in very different ways. 

And what list leaves off Tre?  Damn that is a piece of man right there.  Can lift heavy objects and cook.  I'd do whatever is left on the housekeeping list.

But thanks to someone else, all I see of Sam now is those fucking chicken anus lips of his.  Always pursed and smug.  Not to mention he doesn't like he is sensitive at all but just acts like he is so he can be praised and gushed over for being sensitive.  He just seems creepily self-involved.

• Love 1

Doug Adams, totally!

This is random but I liked Kevin Gillespie from Season 4. Pretty much everything he cooked seemed fargin' delicious and the stuff I like to eat. Plus he was kind and funny.

Tre. I could listen to that man's silky-smooth voice all day. And that awesome laugh!

Doug Adams has topped my list since Top Chef Masters - great chef and owns a dog rescue.  Love him.  I also have a thing for Susur Lee.  

From the regular season, I liked little Dougie from Seattle, Stefan and Spike and Marcel.  Oh, and Fabio.  Sorry.

• Love 1
On 12/16/2016 at 10:40 AM, archer1267 said:

Has anyone mentioned Brian Malarkey yet?

If you're hot for, just watch TV at 4 in the morning.  He's schilling for some kitchen appliance on those overnight informercials.   Which....really?  Why?  

• Love 1
On 12/15/2016 at 2:41 PM, AntManBee said:

I just don't see it.  It seems this article writer has a type.  Too me, Sam has always come off as a bit smarmy, greasy, and self important.  I also disagree with the author in that I don't think his working with diabetes really makes him sensitive.  His Marcel bullying and victim blaming didn't endear him to me at all either.  

Ditto especially on the assessment of Fabio.  I also still recall his repugnant recaps of TC where he dissed people and especially mocked Angelo Sosa, in an almost undecipherable juvenile manner of "writing".

I think Louis Maldonado has been one of the most pleasant and pleasing cheftestants over the seasons.

• Love 1

I'm kind of surprised no one mentioned Jeffrey from NY, he certainly got the cute guy edit. Not my type, but neither is anyone on this list. Sylva seems cool so far this season, Carl gave that overgrown (or not quite) class clown vibe. Bryan is a local boy, so I have to like him, he and his brother both seemed to loosen up a bit after their season. He's just kind of monotone. I did love Issac's personality. Fabio cracked me up, but charmers like that are always players. And despite the Sam redemption round, I still hate him, and have an undying love for Marcel. I do. I will even watch whatever insipid show he's on, just because. I'll also agree with Tre and Spike and Stefan. Compelling on tv for sure. I guess all TC fans have our own bf opinions! Kind of a fun thing to see.

• Love 2

I love Marcel too, sourpickles.  I was lucky enough to meet him a few years ago.  He has friends who own a local restaurant and he was here for a few days cooking the dishes for a tasting menu.  My adult daughter and I made reservations and went early on a week night when they weren't very busy.  Marcel came out and chatted with us for 15 or 20 minutes.  He was very nice and very cute.  He has beautiful eyes.  

• Love 4

And I almost die of jealousy!!!!  I'm a huge TC fan, and I know realistically I'll never have a chance to meet anyone, so props (yes, the 90s ones) to those who do.  I thought Season 2 had more than its share of azzhat bullies, and Marcel stood out because he never let it get to him and that drove them nuts.  Plus, he's adorable.  And talented.  And I'll leave off now........BTW, was the food good???

• Love 3

The food was all good but it was a tasting menu so it was a succession of small bites of things artistically arranged with tweezers.  Honestly, I'd rather have a rib-eye and baked potato.  At about 20% the price.  :)  

At that time, Marcel said he and Spike were working on a TV show that would involve them traveling around the country cooking for people.  I watched for a show like that for a couple years afterwards but I guess it must have fallen through because I don't think it ever panned out.

• Love 2

I like Spike. He's like a Richard Blaise Light, he knows he's got the personality to be on TV but he doesn't push himself on people. He did a show that lasted one season, Midnight Feast. And he's done lots of guest appearances, but he doesn't come across as thinking he's god's gift to TV cooking shows. I could see him and Marcel having fun on a show, but unless the brass is looking for what they are selling at the time, it's probably why it never happened.

• Love 3

Including the cooking with cannabis show? I linked to it in small talk. His hair was hypnotically changing throughout the 22 minutes. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I liked Marcel and found the bullying by adults atrocious. I read an article with Tom where he said that when he showed up to tell Cliff he was being removed from the competition, he had wanted to get rid of all of them and just give Marcel the win, but the producers wouldn't let him. It put into perspective his later comment in the episode before the finale where he shut down the complaints that Marcel was sabotaging them. He told them to pay more attention if they thought he was messing with their stoves, etc. I really disliked that comment at the time. I wasn't aware of the creative editing that made it look like Elia had shaved her head first, until I read it on PTV last season. He also insisted on better chefs for season 3. I really disliked Katie and disliked almost everyone in season 2, so I quit watching during that season, and only recently watched the other seasons.

• Love 2

I guarantee we are just my comment from being moved to the TCS2 forum or some such but I'll do my best to be somewhat on topic.....@pancakebacon.  The only way Sam could have been second worst was if Ilan, Cliff, Betty, FRANK, and others had just dropped and left Elia in charge. ;).  I'd also like to publicly state I feel awful judging someone on something they did ten years ago but damn, that was a something.  On TV.  Let's hope people really do change.  @Christina, I know the editing thing came up quite a bit after the airing and even Marcel said it was edited to make it worse.  But it was bad enough.  Keeping it OT, and BF friendly, l'm also going to throw my hat in the ring for the eternally chill Australian Marc from Chicago.  He was chill, not in a duuuuuuuuude way but just in a pretty good person to hang with way. 

I did not mean off topic. I meant ON and my caps key got stuck.  Dang.............

• Love 1

Stefan - I have a thing for the asshole types (I am *almost* ashamed).

Isaac - Loved his personality. He'd be fun to just hang out with.

Angelo (this time I *am* ashamed). I just think he's pretty and awkwardly cute.

Michael Volt - I dig his swagger.

Harold - my original Top Chef boyfriend. That pencil behind the ear- swoon!

Dale T. - I don't understand it either, it just is.

TRE. TRE. TRE. for obvious reasons (hello, arms).

• Love 1

I know what you mean, @sourpickles… The shenanigans of Season 2 are a well-trodden path.

But to keep it on topic: Marcel would make a very pretty Top Chef boyfriend. His eyes are expressive and the rest of his features are lovely. Grace under pressure like you wouldn't believe.

Sam proved ugly on the inside. So he is no bueno.

Fabio had a video cooking series on Yahoo that both cracked me up and got me a few recipes that always impresses others when I make them. He's on the list. 

Edited by pancake bacon
  • Love 2

I never watched any of the Top Chef spin-offs, so I can't comment on any of the contestants from TC Masters, or Just Desserts, etc., however if I may expand the field to those chefs who have served as guest judges, I'm claiming Eric Ripert.  And I'm sure many would agree with me!  /drool

• Love 7
4 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I never watched any of the Top Chef spin-offs, so I can't comment on any of the contestants from TC Masters, or Just Desserts, etc., however if I may expand the field to those chefs who have served as guest judges, I'm claiming Eric Ripert.  And I'm sure many would agree with me!  /drool

We can double date and let them do the cooking!

• Love 3

I decided today to think back outside of the box (literally, the dvd boxes where I have immediate photo reference) and realized I had quite the crush on Edward from Texas.  Also, wasn't Chris Cleary the big hottie from that season?  I remember he won the fan's choice or some such.  And then I remembered CJ.  I recall crushing on him on his original season, but when he came back he was kind of a dick.....hamburger it was.  Got eliminated, right after he and Stefan and Josie came back in Seattle.  This has been fun, I wonder if we could do the top TC girlfriends next, lord knows I've had some girl crushes too......or maybe just plain jealousy LOL!

Bryan Voltaggio - top crush.

Also Harold and Jeff McGinnis(?), blond chef from Florida on Angelo's season. He looked like he'd be a surfer dude pretty boy, but he was pretty serious about his cooking and everything else.

Jeff McInnis left his wife soon after his shows aired, and hooked up with another contestant, blonde... don't remember her name, but they are still together and work together.

I think someone said it was Janine. I think she may have been on the NO season? Only reason I know this is it somehow during her season. Not positive though.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 10:52 AM, cooksdelight said:

Jeff McInnis left his wife soon after his shows aired, and hooked up with another contestant, blonde... don't remember her name, but they are still together and work together.

I think someone said it was Janine. I think she may have been on the NO season? Only reason I know this is it somehow during her season. Not positive though.

Yeah, that cut off half my comment...what I was saying was came up on another comment board on an episode during her season. Sheesh. I've been having issues submitting comments the last few days........