Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Who Is Josh's Soup Fairy?

Rebecca jumps at the chance to repair her relationship with Paula, which includes babysitting Tommy. Meanwhile, Josh has a revelation that forces him to re-evaluate things.

(Each episode gets its own thread because there will be a separate piece of editorial content for each.)

(edited)

The expressions on Hector's and White Josh's face during the entire fashion show were priceless. I think I may have been making some of the same faces.

I was really surprised that Tommy didn't run away from Rebecca sooner. When she took him to the store, I was sure he was going to disappear even before she handed him $200 and told him to go buy candy. I love that when she finally lost him and was berating herself, Heather told her that she wasn't going to disagree with her.

And actual growth from Rebecca! Choosing to stay with Paula right after Josh declared his love for her was major.

Other things I loved: Alex telling Josh it's not a selfie if someone else takes the picture (related story: last year, the group at the table next to me asked their water to take a picture of them and then asked him to move closer "so it will look like a selfie"), Rebecca's discussion about the plural possessive of Spiders' (especially after she pointed out the weird apostrophe earlier), and Tommy high fiving Rebecca after she told him that the last time she saw Josh she peed on all of his stuff.

Part of me was shocked that Scott cheated on Paula but that turned to outrage when he claimed he ACCIDENTALLY slept with his coworker. It reminded me of the L&O: SVU episode where Stabler and Benson caught a guy in the act of raping a woman and the guy claimed that she had fallen down and he was just helping her up. Benson's response: "With your penis?"

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5

This episode was ok, except that every time Josh gets a song (where it's Josh and not Rebecca's fantasy Josh), it just highlights the loss of Greg.  Angry Mad and now this (... what are we calling it? "Duh"?) just make Josh seem EVEN DUMBER than the normal dialogue and his behavior in the show.

I continue, however, to love WhiteJosh.  His look of dawning horror about the impending mall modeling was brilliant.

• Love 5

Damn it Scott! I was rooting for you! I was enjoying he and Paula having a better marriage, and I dont feel like their marriage ending helps move the story along, other than getting Rebecca to babysit and get more involved with Paula. 

However, all is forgiven for the reaction shots of Hector and White Josh seeing Josh and his modeling. I was right there with them and their looks of horror, turning into fake smiles. Oh Josh. The zippers. 

• Love 9

All the mom-shaming satire in the "So Maternal" song was perfectly on-point, and I loved Rebecca's imaginary appearances in the podcast.  Really fun song, and those back-up dancers were great.

I liked that, once Paula made sure that nothing bad had happened to Tommy, she quickly forgave Rebecca.  Between Rebecca's willing admission of her self-centeredness (or would that be Josh-centeredness?) getting her into trouble and Paula's explanation of how hard and fraught with mistakes motherhood is, I thought that scene hit just the right note.  Also, it's terrible, but I laughed so hard at Paula musing about how happy Tommy seemed living at that Barnes & Noble.

Oi, the modeling - White Josh and Hector's reactions were everything.  I liked that they immediately realized what was going to happen, tried to get Anna away, and then proceeded to support Josh through gritted teeth.

Rebecca's long, flowery soup note to Josh cracked me the hell up.  I also liked Hector's description of the impression she'd made on the soup delivery guy.

Not sure how I feel about the sudden reveal of Scott cheating on Paula, and I'm not quite sure where we're going from here on that front, but I adored Paula's ice-cube tray meltdown about it at the office (as well as Mrs. Hernandez's support and surprisingly-poetic speaking!)

• Love 3

I could totally live in a Barnes & Noble. If there were a shower? Forget it, I'd move right now.

Brittany Snow was indeed a waste. They clearly weren't a match but it wasn't a good use of her.

Loved Mrs. Hernandez (and she was right). Also need to work "I don't want any of your dirty man ice!" into more conversations.

Curious about what happens with Scott & Paula going forward. I'm guessing they'll try to reconcile. Paula doesn't seem interested but it's very fresh. I think single Paula is better story-wise though.

• Love 1

For something so potentially melodramatic that could be really dragged out, they kept moving at warp speed.

I think this is one of the things that this show does best - the things they speed past are things that other shows would drag out forever.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

he ACCIDENTALLY slept with his coworker

Ugh, I know. Way to take no responsibility, Scott.

I think my favorite line of this episode was from Rebecca to the club bouncer in the bathroom: "Our love is not for your gaze!"

2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

However, all is forgiven for the reaction shots of Hector and White Josh seeing Josh and his modeling. I was right there with them and their looks of horror, turning into fake smiles. Oh Josh. The zippers. 

I know. I also thought Brittany Snow did a great job with her expressions.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Way to absolve Paula of any responsibility for the destruction of her marriage by having Scott sleep with another woman. But, as Rebecca said in the stalking episode , it's always the man's fault.  

This show is mostly *about* people of both genders making really questionable choices. More often than not, it's a woman doing it.

They also underlined the problems in the marriage with an extended "previously" sequence of Paula showing up late to Scott's performance.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I think my favorite line of this episode was from Rebecca to the club bouncer in the bathroom: "Our love is not for your gaze!"

I want to hug the writers every time they do something like that; it's better than quoting Shakespeare.

Also, I loved how fast Josh shifted focus from the break up to "who sent the soup?" Who needs hearbreak when you have SOUP!!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The modeling thing was so great. Perhaps the only part of the episode, aside from "our love is not for your gaze" that I liked.  Hector, White Josh and Brittany Snow were just perfect.

10 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

I liked the song, because it's totally in character, though I feel like we need another male performer to switch things up vocal-wise. I've been getting a little bit sick of Josh songs lately, just like I did with Santino last season (and Santino was the better singer/character).

I dread when Josh sings a solo because it's this autotuned boyband (perhaps k-pop too?) send off.  The lyrics aren't clever and they all feel one-note.  He can do better and often does when he's in a duet like "I tapped that ass."

Loved that there wasn't a lot of drama with Tommy and that Rebecca actually voluntarily cleared things up with Paula. Then Rebecca ditching Josh for Paula was also a nice move.

I don't think I like or agree with the choice for Scott to have an affair.  For one, I liked how frank they were last season after Paula's almost affair.  I also like how they portrayed Scott's hurt last week.  I thought they were going to avoid an affair but once Tanya appeared in the previouslies, I knew I was wrong.

And even Rebecca's choice to stay with Paula felt more like Rebecca acting a part rather than naturally being a friend.  Perhaps it's because, earlier in the episode, she was still mostly so self-involved when Paula ran off crying after her fabulous ice cub tray meltdown.  (I've had those meltdowns and they had no underlying reasons--I was just mad someone used up all the ice.)  First she thought it was about her. Then she was obsessed about trying to guess what was wrong with Scott.  Then distracted by the coworker who was actually trying to be supportive.

• Love 2

Brittany Snow was brilliant in her reaction to the mall modeling as well (Hector and White Josh were perfect, of course). Her looks of horror and being sick to her stomach was on point. I feel ya, girl. They should keep her for her snobby and superficial commentary because she's nothing like the other characters in the show. I hope she shows up again and not as a love interest.

Totally with her character on not smooching while sick. That's a big no no for me as well.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't think I like or agree with the choice for Scott to have an affair.  For one, I liked how frank they were last season after Paula's almost affair.  I also like how they portrayed Scott's hurt last week.  I thought they were going to avoid an affair but once Tanya appeared in the previouslies, I knew I was wrong.

I agree about not loving that the show made him have an affair, especially because he seemed to be going in the direction of being supportive of Paula's choice to go to law school.  Plus something doesn't feel believable about him just "accidentally" (or even purposely) sleeping with anyone.  His character is not exactly a stud, LOL.

I love this show but I feel like the energy has changed since Santino left.  I can't put my finger on it but it's like even the show itself is feeling the loss.  I like that they're going in the direction of deepening Rebecca's maturity and her friendship with Paula, but I still can't shake the feeling that everything since Santino left is really just plan B.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

I agree about not loving that the show made him have an affair, especially because he seemed to be going in the direction of being supportive of Paula's choice to go to law school.  Plus something doesn't feel believable about him just "accidentally" (or even purposely) sleeping with anyone.  His character is not exactly a stud, LOL.

In general I'd agree, but Tanya was way into Scott the other week at the barbershop quartet performance. Hope her dream was to spend the rest of her life cutting up meat and laying out clothes for a 300 lb. toddler, since he's clearly not capable of surviving on his own.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

In general I'd agree, but Tanya was way into Scott the other week at the barbershop quartet performance. Hope her dream was to spend the rest of her life cutting up meat and laying out clothes for a 300 lb. toddler, since he's clearly not capable of surviving on his own.

Yeah I think I just struggle with finding it believable that any woman would be that into him.  I just find him a little too dweeby to believe that kind of devotion to him.  YMMV.

4 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

I wouldn't go for Scott either, but any discussion on how believable it is for him to have an affair with a woman should stop here, it's akin to two douchebags discussing how "bangable" a woman is. Someone's passover can be someone else's type. Some people prefer daddy/bear types over model types like SMF.  It's not all black and white. 

I don't agree that what I said is anywhere NEAR talking about how "bangable" anyone is and I'm kind of insulted that anyone would take it that way.  Far from it.  I think it's valid to discuss my own personal gut feeling on how believable it is that a woman would go all that crazy for him or whether Scott's character as portrayed on the show would be a cheater or is believable as a cheater.  That opinion is not all based on his appearance (not by a long shot) but also his character's personality, BTW.  Plus I said YMMV (your mileage may vary) so I don't expect everyone to agree with me.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, nosleepforme said:

I didn't say anything YOU said was near that, I said the discussion about how believable it is that a woman would be THAT attracted to him in itself is akin to that and of course there is a  big difference with a longstanding history of patriarchal oppression and objectification, but I still feel like it's just as much a pointless and unnecessary discussion to have and wanted to point that out. I'm sorry if you felt offended.

Thanks, but I don't think it's pointless or unnecessary to discuss how believable or true to character a certain character's (or characters') actions are on a TV show because that's pretty much part of what this board is for, AFAIK.  Again, you may find that particular example pointless but I don't, so let's just agree to disagree on that point.  I agree with others that said it was a poorly developed plot point being used as a vehicle to make Rebecca's reconciliation with Paula and character development more believable.  I still think the way the show has handled the plots since Santino left can at times be a little clunky and this is one example of that, IMO.

9 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I think Scott cheating was a poorly developed plot point.  I thought it was more about putting Paula into crisis so she and Rebecca could make up than believable character development. 

I agree completely. They put a decent amount of time into showing Paula and Scott reconnecting, and than they just decided to make it so that he was a cheater, and is now exiled from the show. Not that his affair wasn't foreshadowed a bit, but it just sort of got thrown in, and than WHAM, Scott's gone, and Paula is a single mom who can spend more time as Rebecca's BFF. Not that I am super attached to Scott and his marriage to Paula, but I did like him and watching him and Paula reconnect, which I think is a more interesting story than Paula being a single mom and jumping into the dating pool or something like he never existed. Really, its just an excuse for her and Rebecca to be together more, which is nice for their friendship, but they could easily just had him go on a long trip with his barbershop group or something and had the same result without this whole hasty divorce story.   

• Love 7
11 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

Except you didn't really discuss how believable a certain character's actions were, you questioned why anyone would be attracted to him:

Yes I did mention believability.  I mentioned that Scott (as portrayed on the show) isn't exactly a stud (as in a guy that sleeps around a lot or is known for being into going after women for that purpose) as a reason I didn't find it believable.  And I didn't question why anyone would be attracted to him, I said I found it hard to believe that any woman would be that into him, as was portrayed on the show, which is different.  And that's my opinion which you don't have to share. 

My disbelief has more to do with the way the show has portrayed Scott than anything else.   He doesn't seem like someone with the kind of personality to suddenly sleep with someone.  He seems more conscientious and devoted to his wife than that.  It just seemed out of context for him, that's all.  Even thinking about it makes me think, "ewww, awkward".  I can't imagine him just going for it without trepidation or guilt, etc.  Paula's reaction actually underscored the unbelievability when she said that the minute she starts focusing on herself this is when he decides to cheat.  As if she even couldn't believe it!

I even believed White Josh and Darryl more than this because we at least knew Darryl was this emotional goof bag coming off a divorce who was ripe for love, but other than some griping from Scott and feeling a bit rejected by Paula over his singing night, there's still a sizable jump from there to infidelity, IMO.  And judging from your later comments, it appears that you might actually agree with me on that.

• Love 1

I love the scenes like the mall modeling because it really reinforces that Josh is not some huge catch. I mean, he's fine. He's a normal guy who has some major issues with growing up. But Rebecca has him so built up in her head that it cracks me up to be reminded that he's kind of a dumbass. 

• Love 8

I loved the two hugs, and how much more comfortable Rebecca's hug with Paula was than her hug with Josh AND that he realized from her hug how different from Anna she is. And have we met Hector's mom yet? Please let's.

I am so disappointed in Rebecca's regression this episode. As cheesy as it was, I was enjoying the girl power boding with Heather and Valencia. Wouldn't girlfriend code dictate that you discuss with your friend and roommate before you start hooking up with a mutual ex-boyfriend on your communal sofa? The lack of Valencia was jarring and completely undermined the female friendship theme that's been going on this season.

• Love 2
On 1/9/2017 at 0:58 AM, Snarklepuss said:

Yes I did mention believability.  I mentioned that Scott (as portrayed on the show) isn't exactly a stud (as in a guy that sleeps around a lot or is known for being into going after women for that purpose) as a reason I didn't find it believable.  And I didn't question why anyone would be attracted to him, I said I found it hard to believe that any woman would be that into him, as was portrayed on the show, which is different.  And that's my opinion which you don't have to share. 

My disbelief has more to do with the way the show has portrayed Scott than anything else.   He doesn't seem like someone with the kind of personality to suddenly sleep with someone.  He seems more conscientious and devoted to his wife than that.  It just seemed out of context for him, that's all.  Even thinking about it makes me think, "ewww, awkward".  I can't imagine him just going for it without trepidation or guilt, etc.  Paula's reaction actually underscored the unbelievability when she said that the minute she starts focusing on herself this is when he decides to cheat.  As if she even couldn't believe it!

I even believed White Josh and Darryl more than this because we at least knew Darryl was this emotional goof bag coming off a divorce who was ripe for love, but other than some griping from Scott and feeling a bit rejected by Paula over his singing night, there's still a sizable jump from there to infidelity, IMO.  And judging from your later comments, it appears that you might actually agree with me on that.

There's a Chris Rock joke that probably has some truth to it -- "Men are as faithful as their opportunities." 

Scott's co-worker was -- as portrayed on the show -- very into barbershop quartet, one of the things that Scott cares about. Scott has had a lot of stuff to deal with in Paula, much of which we haven't seen directly -- adjusting to her going to law school and thus being less available to juggle things at home, the abortion, the prior staleness of their marriage that almost led Paula to an affair. 

Taking Scott at his word, it's not like he planned to get involved with his co-worker. They were together and got caught up in the moment. No excuse for his infidelity and it doesn't make the harm of it any easier. But it is perhaps more understandable.

• Love 1

I am really losing patience with Rebecca. Josh is a big toddler; I can't see how she could be so fixated on him. Even her great growth at the end by choosing to stay with Paula instead of run after Josh didn't move me. I hope I'm not losing interest in the show. 

Love Paula and Heather. White Josh and Hector were perfectly embarrassed at Josh's modeling. Brittany Snow is great. 

Loved the song about mothering.

• Love 1
On 1/7/2017 at 2:59 PM, possibilities said:

I want to hug the writers every time they do something like that; it's better than quoting Shakespeare.

Also, I loved how fast Josh shifted focus from the break up to "who sent the soup?" Who needs hearbreak when you have SOUP!!

I think it also highlights how Josh's personality, at least at this point, is to fall in and out of love really quickly.  He was like so into Anna, but quickly moved on from her after she dumped him, because he had another girl to focus on, the mystery soup girl.  Similar to after he broke up with Rebecca.

I am also bummed that Scott cheated, and I mean REALLY cheated, not just some kiss or something like that.  The whole thing was telegraphed in the previous episode when that co-worker showed she was totally into him when he was practicing his singing.  It is a bummer they went this route after investing so much time into their marriage rehabilitation after Paula almost-cheated.  I forgot, did she ever admit to having almost done it?  I know that thoughts is not equal to action, but she came pretty damn close, I wonder if this will let her get over Scott's cheating.  Or I wonder if the actor who plays Scott has another show to go to so they had to think of a plot-line to write him off?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

I forgot, did she ever admit to having almost done it?

She did.  It's actually one of the things that helped kick off the rehabilitation along with trying to break into Rebecca's house to stage a break-in to cover for Rebecca's lie to Josh. I think Scott admitted to a flirtation at that point too and I kind of wonder who it was.  I believe he said but I don't remember if he mentioned it was a co-worker or not.

• Love 1

Catching up on the show, but I will say I found it refreshing that a guy admitted to cheating and his wife just...kicked him out. No second chances, no long, drawn-out fight, no real tearful begging for an explanation, no attempts at marriage counseling. "Oh, you cheated? Boy, bye!"

As I said, I'm not caught up yet -- but I did like this detail. It seemed like a contrast from how many other relationship-oriented shows approach the issue of cheating.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Eolivet said:

Catching up on the show, but I will say I found it refreshing that a guy admitted to cheating and his wife just...kicked him out. No second chances, no long, drawn-out fight, no real tearful begging for an explanation, no attempts at marriage counseling. "Oh, you cheated? Boy, bye!"

As I said, I'm not caught up yet -- but I did like this detail. It seemed like a contrast from how many other relationship-oriented shows approach the issue of cheating.

This may have been for comedic effect or just pushing the plot right along because there are only 13 episodes this season. But, I think her response matched his confession. Scott didn't agonize for months with the guilt. He just blurted it out the next time he saw her and she retorted with an equal lack of fanfare. 

• Love 1
On 1/7/2017 at 9:31 AM, nosleepforme said:

I would have bought Scott cheating on her more last season. This year it just feels like a random storyline thrown into the mix. I think they should have done it last year.

I think it was very intentional that last year we saw how bad things were between them, and saw her almost cheating, and then admitting it, and them starting to try to improve their relationship. Last season their lives didn't seem so incredibly over-scheduled and chaotic, but their relationship was in the tank. This year they are over-scheduled and chaotic, but convinced themselves their relationship was better-ish. But this time, when given the same opportunity, he did cheat. So they hadn't healed as much as they thought they had. The stuff last season wasn't THAT long ago. They were both on the brink of cheating relatively recently. So basically it's showing that they were never really as new-and-improved as they maybe briefly hoped or thought they were. That relationship has been an remains broken.

I am confused now about Rebecca's living situation. Did they all move of out of the murder house after Paula got locked in the bathroom? Or does Rebecca still live there with H+V? When Josh was all "when are you coming home" it seemed like he was at her place. I could've used a 2-second wideshot of another room or something to get a sense of where they were when they were canoodling pre-water park (or what they thought at the time was pre-water park).

Edited by theatremouse

I am confused now about Rebecca's living situation. Did they all move of out of the murder house after Paula got locked in the bathroom? Or does Rebecca still live there with H+V?

Does V mean Valencia?  I don't think she ever lived there.  Anyway, it looks like the same house, but I don't know where Heather has been.  Unless they say otherwise, I assume she still lives there.

• Love 1
On 7/14/2017 at 5:32 PM, Armchair Critic said:

I am way late to the party here but does anybody else thing Rebecca looks more late 30's than late 20's? To me she looks closer to Paula's age than she does Heather's age.

Well, Rachel Bloom herself just turned 30 a few months ago ... And when I saw that I was, well, shocked, because I was sure she was significantly older than that. Not a slam, just that I always assumed she was supposed to be early to mid 30s, not a 20-something. And this is from someone that has spent most of their life -- from teen years on -- being told I  look older than I do.

• Love 3