Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 11/28/2016

Jaded
  • Start Topic

On 11/29/2016 at 5:24 PM, Haleth said:

Unless that child is a Muslim refugee. 

Or someone we don't agree with and go to war with.  Or someone who has the oil we want.  Or someone who breaks a law we find offensive enough to kill over. 

31 minutes ago, telemachus2 said:

Transmission of The View was briefly pre-empted in my area so missed most of Van Jones but got to see Whoopi receive AIDS award - many congrats and thanks to her for her good work (that I often forget in a rush to  focus on the easy cheap shot.)

Yeah, me too. I have to give her props for that. She's annoying, but she's not all bad imo.

• Love 4

I didn't know about Whoopi's involvement in the AIDS fight either and got teary-eyed watching her receive the award today.  

And I've been liking her on the show again lately.  Still don't like Jedi, but I managed to watch the entire show today. First time in months.  Wonder how ratings are these days.

• Love 4

Did Van Jones say something like Trump having Bannon on his staff would be like a Hillary President Elect hiring the head of S.C.U.M.? Loved the look on Sara's face when Jones said what the acronym stood for. I looked it up. Had never heard of it before. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Kenz said:

Wow, if your appointment to an important huge department like the VA is judged on how much least damage you can do, that's an awful qualification. I'm disappointed in Sunny in saying she can see Palin in that role. I'm married to a Vietnam veteran and I care very much about veterans, but that doesn't make me qualified to head up a complex agency. Can you imagine  what kind of morale there would be in the VA if Palin were appointed? She's dumb as a rock, can't speak a coherent sentence, and she's a quitter.  By the way, the Obama administration has made a lot of progress in working on veteran homelessness and many other veteran issues, but they don't get much credit for it.

Right.  The discussion needs to be about "is Palin  the best qualified person for this position?"  Instead we get, "if you HAVE to have Palin, what's the cabinet post that is best suited for her?"  

That is not how any employer should fill a job -  here's a new employee, where can we put her where she won't fuck up anything important?

I love Sunny, but she disappointed me.  Giving a shit about veterans is not enough of a qualification to run the VA.   Hell, I did mental health work in VA hospitals for two years.  I am more qualified than Palin!

• Love 17

The Van Jones interview was phenomenal. Loved loved LOVED his smackdown of Jedi's feeble, "We elected Obama, therefore the U.S. can't possibly be racist" by clarifying the "we" in that sentence did not include the majority of white people--and certainly not her racist, white ass.

• Love 23

Watching and getting too much of Whoopi on a daily basis has made it easy to forget, or just ignore, the great things she's done in her life - the things that endeared her to us initially. Getting much-needed attention to sick and dying AIDS victims in the chaotic pandemic was no small task.  Liz Taylor's grandchildren presenting her with the humanitarian award was an awesome moment for this show. For Whoopi and for us. I would have missed this if not for reading the comments here. Thanks, gang! 

Edited by Fisher King
  • Love 19

It was nice to see the side of Whoopi that made people come to like her. It was a very touching segment.

*small voice* I kind of liked Whoopi's sweater since I love those troll dolls. *ends small voice*

• Love 9
5 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

I have found myself agreeing with Whoopi more lately although I wish she wouldn't be quite so strident.  I had no idea she and Elizabeth Taylor had worked so closely on the AIDS research.  I wish someone had mentioned that if Reagan had not refused to get involved when he was warned early on by the surgeon general about this strange new virus, it might not have turned into a pandemic.  I expected Joy to remember that as the senior panel member.  On a lighter note - those were the most beautiful grandchildren - every one of them had her eyes.  Elizabeth would be so proud of them...

If I'm not mistaken every dime made from Elizabeth Taylor's perfume line goes to AIDS research.  I still wear White Diamonds because of that reason.

• Love 11

Paula just doesn't get it....... Jeff Sessions is a "Good Old Southern Boy", taught to make derogatory insults about minorities, immigrants, women, gays & anyone belonging to "Un-Christian" religions at his "Pappy's Knee." Nothing can change his long-held feelings against people he considers "inferior." Especially, that newly revealed statement, where Sessions blames disabled children attending public schools, for causing those schools to fail.  Sessions insists disabled children not be educated, but  institutionalized.  That man cannot be forgiven for his hateful words, no matter how long ago they were spoken, because I believe that hate against everyone who's "different," has always been in heart & always will be!

• Love 14

Paula got on national tv and defended Jeff Sessions. Can she leave like Raven? 

trump didn’t run a racist campaign now? What the hell? His Muslim ban, his wall, his stop and frisk plan, not to mention his various racist comments. He ran a campaign that was racist and he is a racist. His supporters may not all be racist but they were okay with voting for one. 

I like how Sara googled racism and decided that it was the exactly how it is in the real world. Racism can be subtle and overt. There are many facets to racism. Thank goodness, Sunny was there during that conversation. I believe, like she said, that some people can make ignorant comments but when corrected they change how they speak and think. 

• Love 19

Sunny was MVP today, when all the white people on the right side of the table were trying to sweep Trump's blatant racism under the rug (and Trump voters/supporters' complicit racism in supporting him) and she didn't allow them to do so. I outright cackled when Joy ended the segment--following Jedi's diatribe of white tears--with, "If the hood fits, wear it." I knew she'd be forced to correct when they returned, but that was the best moment of the show.

• Love 23

If a black/latina woman is saying that it's racist, then maybe you should just agree with her.

I did understand what Sara was saying and how we need to be careful, but at some point you need to call a spade a spade.

Edited by CheezyXpressed
  • Love 8

Jeff Sessions has a long history of showing his racist stripes and for Paula to try to even remotely defend or give him the benefit of the doubt is disgusting.  All these people can bend themselves into pretzels trying to defend Trump and his truly deplorable picks for his cabinet as anything but what they really are.  Rich white men (with the occasional rich white woman thrown in) who are only looking out for themselves and people like them. 

And to paraphrase Bill Maher, not all Trump voters are racist but it seems all racists are Trump voters.  I'm just saying........

• Love 19
17 minutes ago, susieq147 said:

And to paraphrase Bill Maher, not all Trump voters are racist but it seems all racists are Trump voters.  I'm just saying........

No. That's what Whoopie said her friend said about the  ? ? voters.

Maher said it about Republicans-"Not all Republicans are racists, but all racists are Republicans."

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, susieq147 said:

Jeff Sessions has a long history of showing his racist stripes and for Paula to try to even remotely defend or give him the benefit of the doubt is disgusting.  All these people can bend themselves into pretzels trying to defend Trump and his truly deplorable picks for his cabinet as anything but what they really are.  Rich white men (with the occasional rich white woman thrown in) who are only looking out for themselves and people like them. 

Paula defending Sessions as not being racist by reading from cue cards about some of the non-racist things he's done - is akin to someone defending someone accused of murder by listing some of the people they DIDN'T murder.  

Or, as Joy put it - if the hood fits.....

• Love 16
13 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

No. That's what Whoopie said her friend said about the  ? ? voters.

Maher said it about Republicans-"Not all Republicans are racists, but all racists are Republicans."

Which is why is said paraphrase.  LOL

• Love 3

On a much lighter note, necklines make the panelist . Joy at 74 looked totes terrific in her deep V.  Paula in a high cowl (??)appeared to be wearing some sort of orthopedic harness/scoliosis brace. Jedi (2nd time in 2 days she's stated, "I'm as white as they come" - hmm, I originally thought she might be Middle Eastern) looked ready for her fencing bout in the high-collared Pepto. Take a fashion tip as well as a compassion cue from your elder and much better, Right -wingers!

• Love 3

In a show called the View...we have to listen to all of their views...even views that boggle the mind like everything that came out of Paula's mouth today.  its one of those things that one has to see and hear to truly believe.

I think Sara is more a moderate...and tries to be objective....but i think michelle collins did better in that position last season...when she wasnt making so many jokes.

Jedi confuses me...just when I think shes hitting on something...she will veer off course.  though i think I know where she was going with the policy critism and being called a racist....but she didnt phrase or explain it correctly.

Joy is intelligent...but I do think shes as close minded as some of the consevatives...imho.

Sunny...should be kept and put on the panel full time next season with the original panel :)

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, JayD83 said:

Did CCB quit?  She hasn't been on since she got smacked down about two Mondays ago.  I hope so. 

No, it seems we either get her endlessly or she is gone for weeks.

Let's hope she is gone for weeks!

Edited by Vinyasa
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, CreamedPeas said:

I can't stand Sara for way too many reasons I can list. 

Welcome to my world! Airhead Sara is such a flake.

I think she is there just to sit between Joy and Jediblahlah so Joy doesn't strangle Jediblahblah. 

• Love 4

Let's hope she's gone for months!

2 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

In a show called the View...we have to listen to all of their views...

And we can--some would say, should--also denounce the views that are racist and evil for what they are. Ah, the beauty of free speech.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, JayD83 said:

Did CCB quit?  She hasn't been on since she got smacked down about two Mondays ago.  I hope so. 

She's going to be on the Chew next week (I'm guessing) to promote season 2 of FH.  She'll probably be back after the promo tour. 

I've been too busy to watch more than a few minutes here or there.  If Joy smacks Jed, someone message me!  ?

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 3

Paula is always concerned with giving both sides to a particular subject or story. Today wasn't a good time for that with good ol' boy Sessions the subject.

Maybe it's her GMA training or more likely The View producers give her that job.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, telemachus2 said:

Jedi (2nd time in 2 days she's stated, "I'm as white as they come" - hmm, I originally thought she might be Middle Eastern)

I also thought she was  Middle Eastern (  Moslem)  until she started talking about being Italian and "white."

Have to wonder if that is why she keeps talking about being "as white as they come."

• Love 4

Yeah, Jedifoxbot is Italian-she uses her heritage as a "reason" for why she's so "passionate" and can't just let things lie. Like every chance she gets, she says it. Has since the days she was a guest host. As if that's the reason she's so loud and her laugh sounds like a braying donkey.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Fannysue said:

Have to wonder if that is why she keeps talking about being "as white as they come."

It is a weird thing for her to say, since it's not true. I'm sitting there with my half-a-shade-above pasty Irish skin and thinking, "Nope, YOU are not as white as they come!"

Unless she was equating "white"  with a mentality or political view, in which case, yeah, she's SO much "whiter"  than me.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yeah, Jedifoxbot is Italian-she uses her heritage as a "reason" for why she's so "passionate" and can't just let things lie. Like every chance she gets, she says it. Has since the days she was a guest host. As if that's the reason she's so loud and her laugh sounds like a braying donkey.

Joy as well.

• Love 1

I did soon learn Jedi is Italian-American, just thought she might be of MidE. descent when I first saw her on The View, based on her (to me) unusual  names and the way tptb sometimes like to hire diverse panelists to play assigned roles.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

Jedi confuses me...just when I think shes hitting on something...she will veer off course.  though i think I know where she was going with the policy critism and being called a racist....but she didnt phrase or explain it correctly.

Joy is intelligent...but I do think shes as close minded as some of the consevatives...imho.

Sunny...should be kept and put on the panel full time next season with the original panel :)

This. Joy can be just as frustrating as those she rails against. She also never comes prepared with the facts to go against someone a lot of the time so she lazy.

As for Jedi, this is the most frustrating one for me. I love the idea of WHAT she sells, but it's so not who she actually is. I like the idea of a Libertarian on the panel, providing criticism to both sides but...she never actually delivers. It seems more of a Republican in sheeps clothing. The panel could use someone like who she claims to be.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, telemachus2 said:

I did soon learn Jedi is Italian-American, just thought she might be of MidE. descent when I first saw her on The View, based on her (to me) unusual  names and the way tptb sometimes like to hire diverse panelists to play assigned roles.

Let's not forget that Italians, especially, Southern Italians, have alot of Arab blood, in them...It is not inconceivable, that, Jedi could be mistaken for Middle Eastern...Whoopie has always joked that Africa is just a boat ride from Italy...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 4
46 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Let's not forget that Italians, especially, Southern Italians, have alot of Arab blood, in them...It is not inconceivable, that, Jedi could be mistaken for Middle Eastern...Whoopie has always joked that Africa is just a boat ride from Italy...

Exactly!!  (You beat me to it!)  Some Northern Italians tend to be more fair because of their close proximity to Austria &, as mentioned, the Southern Italians are dark complected because of the Greek connection.

• Love 2
Just now, Medicine Crow said:

Exactly!!  (You beat me to it!)  Some Northern Italians tend to be more fair because of their close proximity to Austria &, as mentioned, the Southern Italians are dark complected because of the Greek connection.

Many were discriminated against when they came here. It wasn't too long ago that Italians were considered to be an "other". They were considered odd and not White enough. Colorism existed within Italy.

On 12/1/2016 at 0:15 PM, Kenz said:

Wow, if your appointment to an important huge department like the VA is judged on how much least damage you can do, that's an awful qualification. I'm disappointed in Sunny in saying she can see Palin in that role. I'm married to a Vietnam veteran and I care very much about veterans, but that doesn't make me qualified to head up a complex agency. Can you imagine  what kind of morale there would be in the VA if Palin were appointed? She's dumb as a rock, can't speak a coherent sentence, and she's a quitter.  By the way, the Obama administration has made a lot of progress in working on veteran homelessness and many other veteran issues, but they don't get much credit for it.

To be fair, I don't think Sunny was saying Sarah Palin is qualified for any role in the administration.  What I heard her say was that she could see why the Trump administration would look at placing her in that positions.  The position would be a payback for her support.

Palin herself was leaking info to the press about an appointment.  She also wrote an opinion piece about the Currier deal that was not complementary to Trump so she may be back to Dancing with Wolves?

• Love 1

Jedediah is Italian but also has some Lebanese ethnicity in her like Paula. and yes Jed does use the "What I'm Italian!" or "Im from brooklyn!" as excuse for being loud or passionate but so does Joy or has in the past, it was kind of her thing. and I think Jedediah was using the "white as they come" as more of a personality thing, she is very culturally white and I think many of you would be criticizing her if she said she did not act very white LOL she can't win. But to the Libertarian thing, a Libertarian is fiscally conservative (Check), pro LGBT, guns, and weed (Check), for secular society (she is secular and not practicing religious) (Check), and a less hawkish foreign policy (Check). So I don't see anything that would make me think Jedediah isn't a Libertarian...

and I do think she has been very critical of both sides on the panel but her harsh criticism of Hillary and Dems is usually what you guys will notice more or what will set her apart from panel so that is what will be remembered. She has called Donald out a lot on his big govt gop/cronyism as well. But I also think Paula and Jedediah are told from producers to try and do best to balance panel because without them it would be a pretty homogenous panel. and I do think being the only one on a panel of 5 with a opinion does make someone be louder or more aggressive because it is harder to get your voice or opinion heard and thats why I think Jedediah is more calm appearing when Paula is on panel as well. 

Edited by Bmarsh
  • Love 3

The way she defended Trump's racial profiling policies, excused Pence's desire to bring back conversion therapy, and decided she was passionately concerned with Hillary's e-mails daily while downplaying Trump's xenophobia as just "character flaws" all prove she is not a Libertarian. And that's on top of giving a rimjob to any Republican guest that came on the show while sitting stone-faced whenever a Democrat guested. Raven is closer to being a Libertarian than Jedidiah is. But it wouldn't matter because even if she decided to not be a coward and be open about what she is like Paula and Candace have the guts to do, it wouldn't make her any less repulsive to me because of all the above.

3 hours ago, Bmarsh said:

I do think being the only one on a panel of 5 with a opinion does make someone be louder or more aggressive because it is harder to get your voice or opinion heard

She always speaks first..... (And usually the longest.)

• Love 12
9 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

She always speaks first..... (And usually the longest.)

Yeah, what's with that??  Whoopi brings up a topic, Jed responds first, Joy argues with her, whoever sits between Joy and Whoopi chimes in (Sunny refutes Jed or CCB brings up being a Christian), and Sarah plays ping pong without saying a word (unless it's some dumb pop culture thing or something where she shares TMI).  Lather, rinse, repeat.

• Love 12