Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E07: Thanksgiving Jamboree

Michel

From TV Guide:

Mitchell and Cam host a farm-based Thanksgiving dinner.  Phil grapples with jealousy when Haley brings her new boyfriend, Rainer Shine (Nathan Fillion) to dinner.  Mitchell shares with Claire a big secret from Cam.  Jay resents having to watch his blood pressure.  Luke and Manny are still at odds over the class election.  Gloria tries to teach Joe not to be afraid of animals, but ends up having to teach him a different lesson entirely.

It was good to see Nathan Fillion back as Rainer again.  And I also liked the neighbor, Jerry.

Cam was his usual . . . Cam self.  I was shocked that he didn't blow up at Mitchell for accidentally (was it an accident?) giving away his Fizbo costume.  Then, it was revealed that he had spent all of the money for their Hawaiian vacation to pay for the party, and I suddenly understood why he wasn't angry.  I thought he'd keep it a secret, but thankfully, Mitchell figured it out and called him out at the end.

Claire fearing that Cam would kill everybody in the house was funny, though.

Haley acting like the victim of being asked to stay for the family football game even after Alex pointed out she's still basically mooching off Phil and Claire pretty much reminds me of the fact that, while I don't dislike her, she's certainly not among my favorite of the main characters.

Dwight is still there?  That's still a thing?  It was certainly surprised to see him and Alex kissing the way they were.

There was no way that goat was running fast enough to kill himself against that shed.  Still, Gloria's attempts to hide his death from Joe were hilarious.

Neither Luke nor Manny is fit to be class president.  I don't know why that was still worth having angst over.

I did like Jay initially choosing to ignore his health, but then ultimately deciding to take care of himself, after all, after Joe came to him, worrying about death.

Pretty good Thanksgiving episode.

Edited by Michel
  • Love 3

Electrocuted Phil is always funny.  I don't know how he pulls off those physical comedy bits but he is great at it. 

I wonder if there will be a Fizbo II?

THAT party cost so much to ruin a Hawaiian vacation?  Must have been swimming to Hawaii.  I know he said he had the hay flown in but still, what else could have cost that much? 

• Love 8

And Why are Cam and Mitchell together again....although at least this time, there was a moment of tenderness.

Jay reminding us how old he is by singing Seals & Croft-nice touch.

Wait, no more Fizbo??? This can't be. I love the episodes with Fizbo, as long as there is only one per season!

How Cam could have carelessly left his Fizbo costume by "junk" is beyond me. The Cam we have watched the last few years would have kept it under lock and key including: "DO NOT TOUCH UNDER PENALTY of DEATH!" Also, that cost a Hawaii trip? Not to mention, Cam thought he could hide that in the long run? Mitch keeps a close eye on the finances these days after his unemployement the last year. Really, Cam, hide it? Haily still can't buy a clue? Or a brain cell? She is always the victim. 

• Love 3

The Dunphy girls need to find themselves some age appropriate love interests! Alex is too smart and interesting to not have any success with guys her own age and Hailey needs to love herself and not date a creepy old man!

I actually liked the Joe plot this episode and that might be a first ever. I also enjoyed seeing Claire and Mitchell team up to figure out what was going on. I like when they feel like siblings. Cam's party looked awful. The house would smell like hay for weeks after that party.

• Love 7

Sorry about the quote boxes.

"What a man does behind his water heater is his own business."

"Mitchell, your turn to feel the burn on the churn...."

"Doctors call it, 'hysterical impotence.' "

"Summer breeze... makes me feel fine...."

"Of all the animals, this goat sounds the most like someone being tortured."

"I'm going to the pharmacy too; I'm out of Ramen and Xanax.."

"I feel like God's giving me the middle finger."

"I bet he's here to buy some extra small condoms."

"I'm going to beat him with this orthopedic shoe."

"I'm happily married.... most of the time."

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, ari333 said:

Sorry about the quote boxes.

"What a man does behind his water heater is his own business."

"Mitchell, your turn to feel the burn on the churn...."

"Doctors call it, 'hysterical impotence.' "

"Summer breeze... makes me feel fine...."

"I'm going to the pharmacy too; I'm out of Ramen and Xanax.."

"I feel like God's giving me the middle finger."

"I bet he's here to buy some extra small condoms."

"I'm going to beat him with this orthopedic shoe."

"I'm happily married.... most of the time."

See also:

"Reminds me of the time I walked in on you watching Top Gun"

• Love 11
1 hour ago, vibeology said:

I also enjoyed seeing Claire and Mitchell team up to figure out what was going on. I like when they feel like siblings. Cam's party looked awful. The house would smell like hay for weeks after that party.

I also enjoy the brother/sister moments; they seem so real and are always funny. Mitch offering Clair a mason jar of wine was perfect!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, vibeology said:

...Hailey needs to love herself and not date a creepy old man!

Thank goodness I'm not the only one skeeved out by the whole 'Haley dating man old enough to be her father' thing...

7 hours ago, Michel said:

There was no way that goat was running fast enough to kill himself against that shed.  Still, Gloria's attempts to hide his death from Joe were hilarious.

Also, don't goats have rock hard heads?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, rhys said:
1 hour ago, rhys said:

I thought Jerry said he was out of rum and xanax. Ramen is funny, too!

Hee I heard Ramen. Been there done that *sigh* But rum is funny too. hehehe

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ari333 said:

3 hours ago, rhys said:
3 hours ago, rhys said:

Hee I heard Ramen. Been there done that *sigh* But rum is funny too. hehehe

I heard "ramen" which has a reputation as lonely-guy food,  and is more likely to be found in a drugstore than rum, at least where I live!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I heard "ramen" which has a reputation as lonely-guy food,  and is more likely to be found in a drugstore than rum, at least where I live!

In California you can get both at many drugstores.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

Lots of good moments in this, I always like Claire and Mitchell together, they really work as adult siblings. Also nice to see some acknowledgement that Alex is attractive, as opposed to being some weird loneliness monster.

But wow, defibrillators don't work like that. The AED models are quite safe, don't have big "hospital show" paddles, and won't shock a person with a heartbeat. As funny as Phil's physical comedy can be, that lame of a set up does it a disservice.

It reminds me of how TV treats elevators as death traps that can plummet to the basement with the slightest glitch.

Lazy, ignorant writing. and a pet peeve of mine, I'll admit.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, AbsoluteShower said:

Thank goodness I'm not the only one skeeved out by the whole 'Haley dating man old enough to be her father' thing...

I don't really like Haley and Raynor either. 

9 hours ago, Latverian Diplomat said:

Lots of good moments in this, I always like Claire and Mitchell together, they really work as adult siblings. Also nice to see some acknowledgement that Alex is attractive, as opposed to being some weird loneliness monster.

But wow, defibrillators don't work like that. The AED models are quite safe, don't have big "hospital show" paddles, and won't shock a person with a heartbeat. As funny as Phil's physical comedy can be, that lame of a set up does it a disservice.

It reminds me of how TV treats elevators as death traps that can plummet to the basement with the slightest glitch.

Lazy, ignorant writing. and a pet peeve of mine, I'll admit.

You're right, those aren't real AEDs, not in the least bit, but I still like it just for the parts about Phil afterwards

• Love 2

I am glad they ddin't go with Cam being so calm because he was holding a pig, and it convices Mitch to agree to Cam keeping a pig as a pet.  They did the pet house pig on Designing Women years ago and all the good pet house pig jokes have been done already (there weren't that many).  

On 11/17/2016 at 4:21 AM, Michel said:

There was no way that goat was running fast enough to kill himself against that shed.  

Sad story - my neighbor was playing fetch with her golden retriever and the dog ran into the side of the garage and instantly died.  Then again...

19 hours ago, AbsoluteShower said:

They head butt each other, so their head and necks are probably a lot stronger than a dog's.  However, I suppose the goat could die if it hit just right and broke its neck.  

I understand why the goat had to die for the Jay storyline and I know they didn't actually kill a goat, but it made me a little sad.  I am apparently turning mushier as I get older, because I thought the 'Turkeys can't fly" episode of WKRP in Cincinnati was hilarious back in the day

• Love 5
On November 18, 2016 at 10:19 AM, needschocolate said:

I am apparently turning mushier as I get older, because I thought the 'Turkeys can't fly" episode of WKRP in Cincinnati was hilarious back in the day

Oh, that's still hilarious to this day!

• Love 11
On 11/17/2016 at 5:44 PM, rhys said:

Closed Captioning (which isn't always right) had ramen.

re Alex and Dwight: It's nice to see more interracial love stories on TV but why are they always BMWF?

• Love 2
20 hours ago, jhlipton said:

re Alex and Dwight: It's nice to see more interracial love stories on TV but why are they always BMWF?

I'm not sure if it will be a love story, but I was just happy to see a hot, popular guy interested in Alex, even if he was still in high school. 

• Love 2
On 20-11-2016 at 5:25 AM, jhlipton said:

Maybe you're just watching the wrong shows? There are shows with black woman/white man couples. For example Barry/Iris (The Flash). To me it seems like black man/white woman is less common on tv even though it is more common in real life. On current shows Andre/Rhonda (Empire) are the only couple I can think of that lasted more than an episode or two.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, paulvdb said:

On 11/19/2016 at 11:25 PM, jhlipton said:

Maybe you're just watching the wrong shows? There are shows with black woman/white man couples. For example Barry/Iris (The Flash). To me it seems like black man/white woman is less common on tv even though it is more common in real life. On current shows Andre/Rhonda (Empire) are the only couple I can think of that lasted more than an episode or two.

The President/Olivia Pope in Scandal; Dax Shepard/Joy Bryant's characters in Parenthood.

Here's an article on the topic:  https://tressiemc.com/digitalsociologies/when-white-men-love-black-women-on-tv/

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3

What are your thoughts on the Dunphy girls' somewhat unhealthy relationships with men? I know it's played for laughs, but Haley's relationship with a really old (for her) guy and Alex's constant hooking up with high school boys could be connected to having a mom like Claire raise them. It would be interesting to see that explored, or even used for more laughs potentially.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, SnarkyMcSnarkerson said:

What are your thoughts on the Dunphy girls' somewhat unhealthy relationships with men? I know it's played for laughs, but Haley's relationship with a really old (for her) guy and Alex's constant hooking up with high school boys could be connected to having a mom like Claire raise them. It would be interesting to see that explored, or even used for more laughs potentially.

Or you could argue that Haley's relationship with an older guy, and with Andy, both had something to do with recreating her relationship with her father.

As to Alex, none of it makes sense.  I don't believe that last year (when she didn't have mono) she loved being home so much that she would find any excuse to leave her college dorm.  If she actually formed a healthy relationship with a boy at school, she wouldn't want to leave, and she would barely be in the show.  Therefore, I believe her unhealthy romantic life is in service to the needs of the plotlines.

They kept Haley in the story by having her drop out of college.  Luke and Manny are both HS seniors; I suppose it is unlikely that Luke will go far away any time soon, but will Manny really stay at home, too? Although he is such a mama's boy that Alex's storyline would have made much more sense for him, that is, that he would prefer the comforts of home to life in a dorm.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Or you could argue that Haley's relationship with an older guy, and with Andy, both had something to do with recreating her relationship with her father.

As to Alex, none of it makes sense.  I don't believe that last year (when she didn't have mono) she loved being home so much that she would find any excuse to leave her college dorm.  If she actually formed a healthy relationship with a boy at school, she wouldn't want to leave, and she would barely be in the show.  Therefore, I believe her unhealthy romantic life is in service to the needs of the plotlines.

They kept Haley in the story by having her drop out of college.  Luke and Manny are both HS seniors; I suppose it is unlikely that Luke will go far away any time soon, but will Manny really stay at home, too? Although he is such a mama's boy that Alex's storyline would have made much more sense for him, that is, that he would prefer the comforts of home to life in a dorm.

Manny was supposedly applying for Juilliard.  Heh good luck with that. No kids in the show get to tap on their full potential.  

What happened to Haley's new business? It is not even big enough for her to abandon it for a weekend getaway.  

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, DarkRaichu said:

Manny was supposedly applying for Juilliard.  Heh good luck with that. No kids in the show get to tap on their full potential.  

I don't think that Manny has the demonstrated talent for Juilliard.  Perhaps he will have failed to apply to back-up schools and will be forced to take a gap year.

• Love 2
On 11/17/2016 at 0:29 PM, AbsoluteShower said:

I thought the line was "the goat sounds the most like an informant being tortured" -- and the specificity made it even funnier.

Count me among those who don't like the Haley and Rainer pairing, even if Nathan Fillion is quite adept at comedy. The coast guard line..."The search is being called off." OMG.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 5

THAT party cost so much to ruin a Hawaiian vacation? 

We went to Hawaii for $1300 pp, incl flight, hotel on Waikiki and transfers. So equivalent for them would be about $4000. Not sure what goat and straw (it's straw, not hay) rental costs in California, but something tells me Cam would deal with foo-foo party planners. He's actually an ass for spending their vacation money without consulting his spouse. I'd kill mine if he did that. 

And really, a hoedown party? Ugh, so unoriginal, especially since we just had the offensive overall-wearing hick episode a few weeks ago.

Honestly, I really don't like any of these characters anymore. They're selfish, rude and obnoxious. And worst, they're not very funny.

• Love 2

I believe Cam rented a petting zoo, not just the goat. And I suppose if the goat dies, well, that probably costs more!

Jay choosing Seals and Crofts made me smile. I was totally into them when I was a teen. One night as I was heading to my room, my dad called out "Hey, if you're gonna play your music, play that Arts and Crafts - they're not bad!"

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I believe Cam rented a petting zoo, not just the goat. And I suppose if the goat dies, well, that probably costs more!

Jay choosing Seals and Crofts made me smile. I was totally into them when I was a teen. One night as I was heading to my room, my dad called out "Hey, if you're gonna play your music, play that Arts and Crafts - they're not bad!"

Plus, Cam can't say: "the goat ran away either". You are bonded in a rental contract on that and you have to pay a premium. Of course, how the goat died wasn't logical. If it had been a sheep or hen, then that would have worked fine.

8 hours ago, marriedaniac said:

And Annalise Keating/Sam in How To Get Away With Murder ( well, until he *spoiler*)

Ah, and while we're on How to Get Away with Murder, the recently-paired Asher and Michaela.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, snuffles said:

I thought it came across as cold and callous when Gloria stuffed the goat in the trash can. Plus, I'm pretty sure it's illegal to put a carcas into the regular trash. Smell and hygiene aside. 

We know Gloria isn't squeamish about dead animals - remember how Jay described her killing a rat with a shovel?  I'm just a little surprised she and Cam didn't cooperate to dress out the meat. (Goat meat is pretty good!)

• Love 6
On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 1:39 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Good point! I forgot how much they made Andy seem like Phil.

And Alex's confusing relationships would be explained very well by the need for plotlines close to home. Thanks for your insight!

• Love 2
On 11/25/2016 at 9:38 AM, MaryMitch said:

We know Gloria isn't squeamish about dead animals - remember how Jay described her killing a rat with a shovel?  I'm just a little surprised she and Cam didn't cooperate to dress out the meat. (Goat meat is pretty good!)

I don't think Cameron knows nearly as much about farm life as he pretends to. He loves wearing overalls and playing up the farm boy thing, but his sister once called him out on not being "farm strong." And his attempt to drive a tractor was disastrous.

Any attempt he made to butcher a large animal would probably be ugly as sin.

• Love 1
On 11/18/2016 at 8:19 AM, needschocolate said:

I understand why the goat had to die for the Jay storyline and I know they didn't actually kill a goat, but it made me a little sad.  I am apparently turning mushier as I get older, because I thought the 'Turkeys can't fly" episode of WKRP in Cincinnati was hilarious back in the day

"With God as my witness, I really thought turkeys could fly"

This is exactly the kind of line these writers would use for Phil, and he could pull it off.

I agree with you about getting older, because I had a similar moment watching the show:

With Mitchell's back to the camera, he is churning the butter and it's clear what they are going for.  The old man in me was disappointed they would go for the obvious joke, but  "It reminded me of the time I walked in on you watching Top Gun" was pretty clever.  And it would go over the head of any kids watching, so no harm done.

• Love 2