Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Changing

• Start Topic

It was a good episode but it was really annoying me how everyone was trying to make Mon-El feel bad for not wanting to be a hero. I don't see them jumping down M'Ganns throat for wasting her abilities on serving some drinks to some low-rent aliens. And yeah he will have to make his own way on Earth but let the boy get accumulated!

James need to suit up all of sudden because "Kara almost died' (as if she doesnt every week) just doesn't drive the point him suiting up home. At least with Laurel, Oliver was considered dead and the city was going under. Something similar needs to happen with Kara in order for me to believe that James has a sudden urge to suit up.

Alex's storyline continues to be good though I felt both bad for her and went "seriously get it together" all at the same time with her regretting coming out because Maggie turned her down.

• Love 4

Okay, this episode was a real mixed bag. First: I do.not.care about James as the Guardian or Mon-El trying not to be a crappy person. Do. Not. Care. At. All. Why does the show think I care? Because I don’t. I so, so, sooooo don’t. And why are they taking away Kara’s uniqueness to make her share the superheroing spotlight with two guys? The news story about National City buzzing about the Guardian was just so irritating and emblematic of tonight’s episode’s gender politics. Ugh. Definitely feels like the show has some CW, "no one will watch if there aren't hot guys" panic right now. Can we just throw Mon-El and James into orbit? (Or leave Mon-El in Cadmus' clutches, please?) And on a shallow note, the Guardian suit wasn’t doing it for me. I actually kind of liked the helmet, can't lie, but the rest of it looked cheap imo.

I went WHOA ALEX and then poor, poor Alex in the space of like 2 minutes. Maggie was really gentle when she shot her down, but that still sucks so, SO bad. Another good acting job by Chyler Leigh, especially in that last scene—you really felt all Alex’s hurt there. I get secondhand embarrassment really easily and I could barely even look at the screen. And I LOVED that Kara was so there for her. Danvers sisters scenes for the win! Anyone want to bet that Supergirl is going to be giving Detective Sawyer some serious glares for a while?

Speaking of the sister scenes, I thought they got increasingly better as the episode went on. I actually didn’t like the first—it felt like Kara especially was written rather OOC to prop up the misunderstanding between them—BUT the second was lovely and I wish it had gone longer. And at the third, I was just like AWWWWW. Melissa Benoist and Chyler Leigh are so this show’s power couple. They just have such a fantastic, natural, believable sisters dynamic. They really are the show's heart. And PS, show, Kara/Mon-El training scenes are in NO way an acceptable substitute for Kara/Alex training scenes. Not even close.

Let me ran about Mon-El some more. He is such a JERK. Can we dump him already? I really, really, REALLY wanted Kara to just punch Mon-El when he was laying into her. He has NOT earned the right to say those things to her. Not that anyone ever should, but you know, from Alex it could be forgiveable. This jerk? No. What a jackass. I don't care that he doesn't want to be a hero--in fact I would PREFER he not be one--but don't be an asshole either, fuckface. Ugh.

Our daily dose of dumb: really, a governmental organization would let the last survivor from some sort of mysterious massacre just go out and about in the general population? REALLY? Show, I want to love you, but sometimes you’re just so dumb. There is no way on Earth—this one or any other—that that happens.

Did David Harewood make one of the writers mad? That’s two episodes in a row he’s been basically MIA. And did J’onn and Kara REALLY get schooled by an alien parasite that’s been frozen in ice for thousands of years? That’s just embarrassing. I am definitely feeling the complaint that Supergirl and MM both are not nearly as badass as they ought to be. That is one thing that was better last season--Supergirl actually WAS the baddest badass on the block. Writers, the solution to having super powerful characters is to write better villains (a la Astra), not depower the heroes every episode or have them be not as badass as they ought to be.

It feels like we missed like 3 scenes in between Win agreeing to help James last ep and them blowing up at each other at the DEO this ep. That was so random. Mehcad Brooks is trying hard to sell James-as-superhero but it feels like it’s just so out of left field.

At least Alex had a really good work night. Alex giving Mon-El the business was the best.thing.ever. And then getting M’gann in the game? Go Alex!!! At least your work life is on point! I was really wishing M’gann would come out to Alex as a White Martian, can’t lie, and have Alex have to navigate that (and be like “why do all the Martians come out to me?”). Though poor Alex has enough on her plate right now, I suppose….

Solid enough standalone episode, though I’m kind of bummed they didn’t lean into the X-Files creepy vibe more. I can’t believe there’s only 2 more episodes until the break. This half-season has been okay so far, but after the first two episodes, I expected more.

ETA: And I forgot--Kara is now hanging out at the alien bar as Kara Danvers? She must want to have her identity blown, right? There's no way people wouldn't make the connection between her and Supergirl.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 9

Wow, progressive issues all over the place.  That's not a bad thing, I don't think.  Can't tell if the timing of this episode was very good or very bad.

Kara's accepting of her sister being a lesbian :)  That would never have flown on CBS, I don't think.  But Maggie doesn't love Alex :(

Remember, kids, if you pollute, a huge purple life sucking moonstah will hunt you down and kill you dead.

Changed my mind on Mon-El.  BRING BACK MY CUTE DORK MON-EL!  I'm guessing this show is going to present Daxam as the New Jersey to Krypton's, I don't know, Connecticut?  Can't wait until Mon-El's cousin Laurel Gand shows up, with short shorts, a spray on tan, and huge hair.  And he got his stupid ass kidnapped by Leona Helmsley Luthor or whatever her name is.

Jimmy's become Kamen Rider!  Lovely!  And I love Winn's Star Spangled Van :D

Here's hoping Martian Girl whose name I don't know because I missed those episodes will open up to Jon.  But I doubt it.

• Love 3

I'm just gonna say it: Jimmy "Captain Cape Envy" Olsen has become the story line equivalent of getting sand inside your bathing suit when you go to the beach - It's highly irritating, hard to get out therefore somewhat painful, and just ruins what's otherwise a perfectly good time. Please go away now, Jimmy. Ride, ride, ride that motorcycle back to Metropolis! Away with you!

• Love 12

- Still not feeling Mon-El or Jimmy the Guardian. (I feel like I'm going to be saying this every week from here on out. They better not be making them Supergirl's version of Laurel Lance ie. a character forced upon us come hell or high water. I quit Arrow because of her. Don't make me quit Supergirl, writers.)

- The Danvers sisters are the best thing about this show and should always, always be highlighted. Stop shifting focus to the two dudes and stay with the sisters, please!

- Poor Alex. Heartbreak is never easy. I think Maggie does like her but she's also being considerate in wanting Alex to figure things out on her own first before deciding she wants to be with Maggie. Still, poor Alex :(

- So M’gann was interested in J'onn after all? Or is there some martian tradition that says you can't share blood with someone else if you're married?

Edited by kdm07
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, wevel said:

Quick question: I thought alcohol doesn't affect Kryptonians - what was Kara drinking at that bar that actually made her drunk?

Alien beer. Ten times as strong as Earth beer ;)

• Love 5

- So M’gann was interested in J'onn after all? Or is there some martian tradition that says you can't share blood with someone else if you're married?

I didn't take that sequence as that there was any sort of taboo, no. To me it seemed like M'gann's hesitation was just about her knowing that J'onn would probably rather die than accept help from a White Martian.

I'm just gonna say it: Jimmy "Captain Cape Envy" Olsen has become the story line equivalent of getting sand inside your bathing suit when you go to the beach - It's highly irritating, hard to get out therefore somewhat painful, and just ruins what's otherwise a perfectly good time. Please go away now, Jimmy. Ride, ride, ride that motorcycle back to Metropolis! Away with you!

@regularlyleaded, I don't feel as strongly about this as you, but this made me crack the hell up. Best thing I've read all day!

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, legaleagle53 said:

But if Kara had already been infected with the parasite, it would have drained her powers, rendering her as susceptible to alcohol as any human.  That is what enabled her to get drunk.

But didn't her getting drunk take place at the beginning of the episode, before she encountered the parasite?  (Unless I missed a reference to her already having come into contact with it prior to the scene in the bar.)

2 minutes ago, kdm07 said:

Haha!  But seriously, I feel like this wasn't properly explained.

Basically, James would be nothing without Winn. Winn's the real hero for keeping James in check, protecting him from himself, and giving him enough in his suit to have him not be useless in a fight with other aliens. James' BS about wanting to be a hero since Clark Kent does NOT fit with what we've seen on show with him. He's never participated in a fight and he's never been involved in anything that alien in season 1. It just felt fake and forced coming from him. His whole presence on the show brings it down. Winn had to waste time with James' suit to stall the parasite for a few minutes while Supergirl was healing from her attack and actually finding a way to stop it. James/Winn had no idea on how to stop the thing.

I think I'm going to be bitter about Super James for a while, because I DON'T feel bad for him. I like Winn a lot and I really appreciate that he's trying to stop James from getting killed. Man, I swear if Winn gets hurt because of his superhero crime fighting thing, I'm blaming James 100%. I found him boring last season, but I actually am disliking him a LOT this season. I'm just....James is going to ruin this season for me, he really is. 

Mon-El's a real hit or miss with me. He's still a cocky jerk a lot of the time and I don't like how he just dismisses Kara all of the time. However, I also feel like Kara needs to stop ripping into him for not using his powers to save the world. Maybe he doesn't want to do that, and it's ok for him not to. I get it, but all she needs to do is make sure he doesn't get into trouble that'll draw attention to himself or the DEO.

I do appreciate that he was led to be wrong, instead of having Kara apologize to him for some inexplicable reason. That was a nice twist, and it reminded viewers that this is still Kara's show...kind of. Even if everyone else keeps getting more screen time. But her screen time this episode was a bit better than the last couple. 

Alex's coming out story was filled with too many cliches so I didn't enjoy it as much as I could have. All it felt like was a check list of what coming out cliches they could fit in. It felt like it could have been smoother. However, Chyler Leigh knocked it out of the park. Her last scene after Maggie's rejection was wonderful. I also really liked Kara's talk with Alex. The sisters' relationship is the best in the show. I hope the show never forgets that. 

I also was distracted by Kara being able to get drunk. I'm going to just handwave it as some special alien alcohol since they were hanging in the alien bar. But yeah, her glasses and pigtails definitely didn't help separate herself from Kara and Supergirl. 

M'gann had to transfuse her White Martian Blood to J'onn's Green Martian. Well, I guess if the show continues its cliches, he'll be pissed for a few episodes until he needs to do the same for her. 

• Love 4
Just now, wevel said:

But didn't her getting drunk take place at the beginning of the episode, before she encountered the parasite?  (Unless I missed a reference to her already having come into contact with it prior to the scene in the bar.)

That's why I deleted my comment --  I haven't seen the episode yet and was only commenting based upon pre-airing speculation.

2 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

I didn't take that sequence as that there was any sort of taboo, no. To me it seemed like M'gann's hesitation was just about her knowing that J'onn would probably rather die than accept help from a White Martian.

The camera focused on his ring though and brought her into the shot looking at the ring. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have done that if it wasn't significant.

1 minute ago, kdm07 said:

The camera focused on his ring though and brought her into the shot looking at the ring. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have done that if it wasn't significant.

Yeah, I noticed that shot too, and am figuring that a) the wedding ring reminds her that White Martians killed his family and b) she thought he might have adverse effects from White Martian blood, but wasn't sure. Hey, maybe that explains next week's promo....

• Love 2

Didn't we just have an entire episode about Kara trying to turn Mon-El into someone she wanted him to be, only to learn that she needs to just let him be himself? So why are we back to that now? I still say there is a good character to be salvaged by Chris Wood's acting, but the writers are making it harder to support that pov each week.

And Angry James pouting about not getting his supersuit was only slightly more embarrassing than the Guardian and his taunting Kara to try and discover his secret identity (I guess if she can fool people with glasses, she can be fooled by something just as silly).

Once again, MVP is Chyler Leigh. I said last season I'd be all about an Alex Danvers/J'onn J'onnz spinoff, and I stand by that. She is the best part of this show, especially now that Calista Flockhart is gone. More Alex (and more J'onn, please!)

EDIT: Speaking of Alex, I also wondered about the blood transfusion. Even if M'gann was a green martian, shouldn't Alex- as a biologist- wonder whether or not all Martian blood was the same blood type to allow for transfusions? She didn't even test it or anything. Heck, I'd have been fine if they just said something like- "because of the malleability of Martians, their blood is a universal donor"- or something like that.

Edited by Cthulhudrew
  • Love 7
22 minutes ago, kdm07 said:

M'gann did say something like "Aldeberan beer." Whatever. I'm still in shock that the DEO has failed to notice this alien bar all this time. I guess because they used to be based out in the desert?

• Love 5

Before James was boring, now his cape envy is making him annoying. And I don't care at all. This is supposed to be Supergirl's show. I'm not here to see her get defeated then have two male heroes suddenly be heroic. The opposite would never happen on a Superman show. 

I really hate when people just call themselves heroes. A hero helps because it's right not because they want everyone to call them a hero. Which is what Jimmy wants. 

I didn't quite know what to think of Kara's first reaction to Alex coming out, but the second scene was much better. I really felt for Alex when she got shot down. 

I wonder what white Martian blood does to a green Martian? 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Cthulhudrew said:

M'gann did say something like "Aldeberan beer."

Ah, okay, I missed that. 

15 minutes ago, Cthulhudrew said:

Even if M'gann was a green martian, shouldn't Alex- as a biologist- wonder whether or not all Martian blood was the same blood type to allow for transfusions? She didn't even test it or anything.

I thought either that would happen and that's how M'gann would be exposed, or M'gann would be forced to explain to Alex why her blood wouldn't be compatible with J'onn's.

• Love 1

First impressions before i read anything. 

With one caveat, I think that might have been the best episode of Supergirl I've ever watched. The caveat is it didn't really feel like an episode of Supergirl but I still loved the cross between, X-files/Arrow/Glee/Cheers/.  The beginning with a drunk Kara was super cute and funny, the threat of the week actually menacing, Mon-El FINALLY had some growth, Alex made me tear up several times (the Kara/Alex scenes are so good) and the most surprising part of the episode, I LIKED James Olsen, in a super suit.  Who knew?

I still don't like the idea of Jimmy Olsen, Vigilante, but I'm kind of loving the execution. Just loved, LOVED, when Winn shut Jimmy down on demanding the suit before it was ready.  Where has that guy been?  Loved Man in the Van.  Loved they make the Guardian relevant and even kind of loved the Guardian in action.  (Probably because I'm brain washed to like masked growly guys on a motorcycle, thanks, Arrow.)  Not sure he'll work in regular episodes but he worked in this one, IMO.

Even the small stuff they did to set up J'onn with this new conflict (white martian blood in an episode called Changing?  Nothing good shall come of that, lol.)

Of course the thing that really made the episode was the emotional realism.  The episode with eons old parasites monsters was probably the realest Supergirl has ever gotten.  

I was surprised they swerved with Maggie, but I think it was a smart move.  I'm really excited about the rest of the season.    

• Love 5

M gann did say the drink was 10 times stronger and deadly to humans, hence the affect on Kara. And I got the impression Mon El has heard of it or drank it some time in the past.

So Tom Cruise's cousin got a dream gig as a host to an alien parasite? Scientology must have paid for the ep,lol.

• Love 4

It's William Mapother!  And.... he is only on there for a few minutes, before turning into a very, very cheap CGI monster (seriously, why is the CGI on here so cheap?  Is The Flash just hijacking the entire CGI budget from the DC shows?)  Way to waste a perfectly creepy Ethan, show.

Well, at least the suit Winn created for Jimmy was decent looking, but man, is this "Jimmy being a hero" story really becoming a bust for me.  Jimmy is just coming off way too short-sighted and even a jerk at times, especially with Winn.  I know they're trying to make it come off like Kara being injured freaked him out, but despite Mehad Brooks best attempts, it just comes off like he is insecure and even at the very end, it felt like he just enjoys being adored by the public.  Not a heroic look, exactly.

Mon-El continues to act up and regress, and then progress again when the time calls for it.  Chris Wood continues to do a good job, but hopefully there will be more to him then just a party animal.

I don't know; I felt like the drunk scene should have been funnier, but I found Melissa Benoist to be a bit too over-the-top in it.  Strangely, I felt like that has been a bit more of a problem so far this season.  She's extremely talented, but it feels like the directors or whatever are directing her to take it to the limit, and it's just not fully working for me.  On the other hand, the biggest laugh I got out of the entire thing was J'onn/David Harewood's non-reaction to the entire thing.

Alex coming out and being rejected by Maggie was awkward as hell, but probably realistic in a lot of ways.  Chyler Leigh continues to be the highlight so far this season.

M'gann giving J'onn is so going to cause some shit once he finds out she's actually a White Martian.

I'm kind of starting to notice now that it really does feel like there has been less Kara this season, which is weird for a show called Supergirl...

• Love 2

Kara took a big risk, by assuming the parasite had limits to how much energy it could absorb. She was right, as it turns out, but she could have just as easily ended up with a giant, radioactive, energy absorbing monster.

I'll give the writers credit for trying to make James relevant. They failed though, as far as I'm concerned, because I'm tuning in to see Kara, Alex and J'onn fight aliens and other bad guys. Winn helps at the DEO. James should just hang out in his office at CatCo.

I'm already bored with Mon-El. I really don't see a narrative reason for him to be there. He's taking screentime away from characters I want to see.

The Martians may have some cultural taboo about blood transfusions but I got the impression what M'Gann was concerned about was the fact J'onn would not be happy with the fact he got help from a white martian. I'd have a hard time accepting anything, even live saving help, from a member of a group that wiped out my people. And the tremors at the end may mean they're not entirely compatible.

Poor Alex. I mean, Damn Chyler Leigh knocked this episode out of the park. It's not often I want to reach into my TV and give someone a hug. But despite what she told Kara, Maggie never said she wasn't interested in her.

• Love 3

Tonight on a very special episode of Clone High Supergirl

Parasites are dining (on energy)
Supergirl is reclining (after getting her butt kicked)
Hank is tranfusing (white Martian Blood)
Mon-el is bruising (others for money)
and Alex comes out .... only to get friend-zoned.

Martian blood is red as well -- I figured for sure it was going to be green or white or purple or something different.  Did they type and crossmatch before hooking up Hank to the blood bag ? What if M'Gann is M+ and Hank is M- (the 'M' is for Mars) ?

I'm confused by the fact that this alien bar is now Maggie's regular hangout. How does that work ?  Unless she is also an alien, maybe.

Still amazed by James' walk-in privileges at the DEO.

Guardian's outfit at least looked decent complete with Arrow-style voice modulator -- was his shield made out of vibranium or the DC equivalent ?

Mon-el getting kidnapped by Cadmus at the end was pretty weak.  Were all the homeless guys on Skid Row packing tasers on the oft chance that he might help one of them ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

Ethan Rom from LOST! Lt Disher from Monk!

Wanted Kara to yell like Mickey from Rocky at Mon-El "You had the talent to be a good hero, but instead of that, you became a leg breaker for some cheap second-rate loan shark!"

Favorite line: "Take that Grimice!"

I really want to find out how Jimmy learned Clark's secret identity.

Damn, Maggie put Alex in the friendzone. Chyler Leigh just broke my heart in the final scene. She was incredible this whole episode.

• Love 1

Speaking of the sister scenes, I thought they got increasingly better as the episode went on. I actually didn’t like the first—it felt like Kara especially was written rather OOC to prop up the misunderstanding between them—

I was actually pleasantly surprised that they allowed for some realistic confusion on Kara's part.  It kind of reminds me of when a spouse gets told by their wife, they are pregnant.  (I use a married couple to set a scenario for a couple that is more likely to be in a better place with having a kid, but no judgement intended. lol) Even if the baby is really wanted, it can be overwhelming and a roller coaster of emotions and often she's had time to get past that initial processing stage while the person she shares her news with is under the microscope right away and it's soooo easy if she doesn't get the reaction she's hoping for right away, for there to be a misunderstanding when it's not a negative reaction, just a natural step in processing of the new and information for some people.  

Later they had Kara tell Alex she didn't need to check up on her but I really think it was Kara trying to give Alex space until she wanted to talk, not Kara avoiding her.

Over all, I liked that bit of realism of how hard something like that can be even with supportive people.  

2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Basically, James would be nothing without Winn. Winn's the real hero for keeping James in check, protecting him from himself, and giving him enough in his suit to have him not be useless in a fight with other aliens. James' BS about wanting to be a hero since Clark Kent does NOT fit with what we've seen on show with him. He's never participated in a fight and he's never been involved in anything that alien in season 1. It just felt fake and forced coming from him. His whole presence on the show brings it down. Winn had to waste time with James' suit to stall the parasite for a few minutes while Supergirl was healing from her attack and actually finding a way to stop it. James/Winn had no idea on how to stop the thing.

I think I'm going to be bitter about Super James for a while, because I DON'T feel bad for him. I like Winn a lot and I really appreciate that he's trying to stop James from getting killed. Man, I swear if Winn gets hurt because of his superhero crime fighting thing, I'm blaming James 100%. I found him boring last season, but I actually am disliking him a LOT this season. I'm just....James is going to ruin this season for me, he really is. 

Mon-El's a real hit or miss with me. He's still a cocky jerk a lot of the time and I don't like how he just dismisses Kara all of the time. However, I also feel like Kara needs to stop ripping into him for not using his powers to save the world. Maybe he doesn't want to do that, and it's ok for him not to. I get it, but all she needs to do is make sure he doesn't get into trouble that'll draw attention to himself or the DEO.

I do appreciate that he was led to be wrong, instead of having Kara apologize to him for some inexplicable reason. That was a nice twist, and it reminded viewers that this is still Kara's show...kind of. Even if everyone else keeps getting more screen time. But her screen time this episode was a bit better than the last couple. 

[snip]

M'gann had to transfuse her White Martian Blood to J'onn's Green Martian. Well, I guess if the show continues its cliches, he'll be pissed for a few episodes until he needs to do the same for her. 

I agree that Winn is the brains and I very much was glad that the show didn't try to cheat him of hero status in his own right.  But I don't agree about Jimmy never showing an interest in being a hero.  Last year he did seem frustrated that he wasn't out there on the streets, it was framed more about him being stuck in an office now rather than in the thick of things, but he always tried to help when he could, he just was not very good at it.  There were several episodes last year where he attacked (and then got tossed across the room) and even last year I got the impression he was kind of jealous of Kara being able to be the hero.  

So from that standpoint, I do think this Guardian thing is in character but Kara suddenly just not feeling it probably made him feel a bit more useless than usual and pushed it to the forefront.  

That said, I don't feel sorry for him at all. I don't think Jimmy's reasons are good enough but honestly, all the guys with no powers insisting on going out and "being a hero" are bordering on egotistical narcissists.  I don't like him throwing fits about doing it, but I do think Mechad is making me believe he's invested and serious and that's enough right now for me to give it a chance (cause it's not just going to stop cause I want it to, lol)  So when I took out my annoyance with the set up, I liked it.  

On to Daxam Shore.

Mon-El isn't a naturally good guy (and probably a step below that as well) but he did the right thing when it mattered and not because he was trying to flirt with Kara (always a worry) but because her sister called him out.  And so him trying at least to be better is working for me.  Well, was since now Cadamus will probably turn him evil for the back half of the series, lol. 

As for M'gann, I think the consequences will be bigger than J'onn just being mad.  

2 hours ago, Cthulhudrew said:

EDIT: Speaking of Alex, I also wondered about the blood transfusion. Even if M'gann was a green martian, shouldn't Alex- as a biologist- wonder whether or not all Martian blood was the same blood type to allow for transfusions? She didn't even test it or anything. Heck, I'd have been fine if they just said something like- "because of the malleability of Martians, their blood is a universal donor"- or something like that.

There is a precedent for just that kind of thing.  On Young Justice, M'gann changed her blood to match the type of a young boy who had been injured.  Of course in his case he eventually turned into Beast Boy as a side effect.  I'll be curious to see what changes J'onn gets.  

2 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I really hate when people just call themselves heroes. A hero helps because it's right not because they want everyone to call them a hero. Which is what Jimmy wants. 

It's always a sure sign of not being a hero when you go around calling yourself one, lol.  But if I can forgive Ray Palmer, I can cut these two noobs a break for now as well.  They mean well even if they are way too naive.  

Honestly, since I have bigger issues with FLash and Arrow, Supergirl likely is benefiting from comparison this year but I'll take it.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 5
47 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I'm confused by the fact that this alien bar is now Maggie's regular hangout. How does that work ?  Unless she is also an alien, maybe

Didn't Maggie say from the start it was her hangout?  She even bumped into an alien ex.  I'd say it's not an Alien's Only place, just an insiders only.   And boy oh boy, major insiders since it was clear that Kara's secret isn't much of a secret if patrons wanting to be friendly ("Drinks sent over by Giggles- pan to blue and white alien chick) are buying her drinks that would kill humans but be only "a refreshing cocktail" to her and Mon-El.   

• Love 2

I am liking this James/Winn bromance. I like that Winn didn't back down after James' hissy fit and told him how he has to wait or else he's going to die. Don't like them keeping this a secret from Kara.

Kara and Alex were awesome tonight. 

• Love 5

It also amused me that Mon-El has the same view as Joey from Friends that there are no selfless good deeds:

Phoebe: This isn't a good deed, you just wanted to get on TV! This is totally selfish.
Joey: Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! What about you, having those babies for your brother? Talk about selfish!
Phoebe: What-what are you talking about?!
Joey: Well, yeah, it was a really nice thing and all, but it made you feel really good right?
Phoebe: Yeah. So?
Joey: It made you feel good, so that makes it selfish. Look, there's no unselfish good deeds, sorry.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, stealinghome said:

@regularlyleaded, I don't feel as strongly about this as you, but this made me crack the hell up. Best thing I've read all day!

Hehe, glad to be of service :D I have my moments ;)

5 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I'm so with you here. I've been trying to find something about Jimmy's character to like for the last several episodes, but I'm done. I can't with this guardian story arc. From Jimmy's sudden onset Cape Envy (also how is he just breezing into the DEO; secret secure facility my ass) and manipulating Winn to participate in this stupidity (Winn is basically a huge ass walking, blabbing, military tech absconding security breach), to the miracles brought to you by "Because Plot (TM)" that prevent what should logically be Jimmy's death from blows dealt by an exponentially stronger alien being, I can't. The writers have managed to strike my last nerve with this and there's no more tolerance to be had on my part for Captain Cape Envy. He actually is ruining this season for me now. Unfortunately for me, I don't think he's going away anytime soon so my fast forward button and this show are about to get acquainted.

5 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

That was a nice twist, and it reminded viewers that this is still Kara's show...kind of. Even if everyone else keeps getting more screen time. But her screen time this episode was a bit better than the last couple.

IA. In the overall, I've been somewhat disappointed in this show for several episodes now. I've actually been trying really hard to stay positive and finds things to like in each episode because so far it feels to me like there is a lack of focus on Kara and she's why I watch the show. I mean, Kara's gotten screen time in each episode, but the thing is is that most of the emotionally dramatic elements of the show are being reserved for the other characters and too often now Kara is just the supporting comedic relief. Now, I admit I have a huge bias here because I watch this show for Kara and her story, but then again, the name of the show is "Supergirl", so IMO it should be about Kara.

No show is perfect, particularly this one, but it’s my opinion that this show's strength, what carried it through a spotty first season, is that it had so much heart and to me that heart comes from Melissa and her portrayal of Kara. And nowhere else is that on better display than when they give Melissa those emotionally profound story lines and those scenes to perform (and notably most of those scenes are with Chyler, who is also a powerhouse on this show). So for me, the heart of this show goes missing when that dramatic depth is absent from Kara’s story, and without that heart, this is just yet another comic book tv show.

That's why for me this episode was a welcomed improvement over the last few episodes because the writers finally looped Kara back into the emotional drama happening on the show. And with that they also brought back an indispensable component  of the show which is Kara’s relationship with Alex. While (IMO) Kara is the heart of the show, Kara and Alex are the core relationship. I think their sibling relationship is one of the best things about this show and one of the show’s greatest assets, so I’m over the moon that they finally put focus back on their relationship. Melissa and Chyler are phenomenal together and as Kara and Alex they portray such a natural, healthy, supportive, and genuinely loving sibling relationship, that suffice to say that I floved all their scenes. Alex’s apprehension with telling Kara, Kara’s confusion and sense of guilt and wanting to give Alex space, which led to their misunderstanding and reconciling, to at the end Kara just being there for Alex… Gah! I floved it all! Sorry for gushing all over your screens, but I have a lot of feelings about this. ;) I shall now restrain myself, but I will say, if the show ever wants to drop the guys for an episode or two and just have Kara and Alex adventuring together I’m so in. I’m all in.

In the spirit of remaining positive despite all the not so positive, here are some final positive notes:

• I still like Mon-El and him trying to be a better person at the end made me like him more (Judge me all you want. I’m at peace with my life choices here ;) I too thought he was being such a lowlife shaking down aliens for money like some sort of alien mafia muscleman, but Alex (in awesome Alex form) verbally kicked him into rethinking and improving his behavior. (I loved how Alex pointed out how she doesn't believe in Mon-El, but the reason Kara is so constantly upset with him is because Kara does. That's so very Kara and so very Alex.) So Yay! Alex for being the necessary harsh voice of truth and Yay! Mon-El for realizing he was being a butt and instead he’s striving to be better. Yay! character growth! I actually felt bad for him when he got taken by Cadmus and all he was trying to do was to actually help someone. Yep, no good deed goes unpunished.
  • Drunk Kara! LOL! I didn’t know I needed that until I saw it. :) I don’t know what the comic book canon is on the issue, but to me it made sense that while Earth alcohol has no effect on Kryptonians because of their insane metabolism, a dramatically stronger alien alcohol would totally effect them. Also, extra points for J’Onn’s non-reaction to drunk Kara.
  • Kara’s fight scene with Mon-El. Hehe, I really liked that. Kara finally gets to be the master training the padawan and she was enjoying the hell out of kicking Mon-El’s ass. Also I thought it was a well choreographed scene with the effects and stunt fighting moves. 
  • And because I can’t help myself, I’ll say it again: Everything in this episode with Kara and Alex was made of win - Melissa and Chyler were both so on point with their performances. I like that the episode is showing us some of Kara’s personal growth by letting her be the one to support Alex here. Not that Kara hasn’t been supportive of Alex in the past, but that she tells Alex flat out that for all the times Alex was there and supported her throughout her life and put her first, that it’s Alex’s turn to come first here and lean on Kara for support, and that she’s not alone, no matter what. Yay! Danvers Sisters!

Fine Final (Not So Positive) Note: Does this show have a political speech writer in their ranks because holy crap they are not subtle and there are moments in the dialogue when I would swear someone was just reading aloud the back of a political pamphlet to the audience. Just stop, writers, producers, whoever it is. Please, please, please, stop. Cease. Desist. STAHP. As of right now you guys don’t give me enough of Kara’s story or Danvers sisters time to compensate for the preachifying bricks you’re throwing at my head, so please STOP IT! We all have a concussion from the last eight months of politics, so I beg of you, MERCY!

Edited by regularlyleaded
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, regularlyleaded said:

Fine Final (Not So Positive) Note: Does this show have a political speech writer in their ranks because holy crap they are not subtle and there are moments in the dialogue when I would swear someone was just reading aloud the back of a political pamphlet to the audience. 

This. This show has taken a disgusting turn to the political and it is like they have a check list they want to check off. It is so bad.   And this week it wasn't even "climate change skeptic" but now "climate change denier" (always somehow the bad guy). I used to look forward to seeking adorable Kara make a positive difference in the world but now she is hardly on her own show and when she is there she is either lecturing me or Monel.

• Kara is verging on bullying Mon-el. My god Kara.. he owes no one any duty to be kind or to be a super hero. That is YOUR path. He is an adult... it is his life as long as he isn't committing crimes. She has become an unbearable harpy on this.   I would have been better if Mon-el stood up without the nagging from Kara.  I actually liked their fight because Kara needed some smack back. 
  • I don't like the amount of aliens and how they are out in the open. Last year there were like 12 in the Earth now they are EVERYPLACE and don't really try to hide it. Blue man.  Now they have a bar with their own special drinks? Not great. 
  • Jimmy, I can't even. His super suit looks like it weights so much he couldn't move. I guess Cat-co doesn't take up a ton of his time.
  • Alex and Maggie... whatever. I don't look forward to seeing Alex be so weepy and pathetic... man or girl significant other. 
  • Do not care about Hank anymore. Don't care. 
  • I guess Kara doesn't have a job anymore.  I think they would be wise to get rid of Cat-co.

The superman episodes were a high point but it seems like the show was handed over to an underling ever since and has gotten so bad. I find myself hitting the mute button. I am not sure how much longer I will stay with it. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, stealinghome said:

Did David Harewood make one of the writers mad? That’s two episodes in a row he’s been basically MIA. And did J’onn and Kara REALLY get schooled by an alien parasite that’s been frozen in ice for thousands of years? That’s just embarrassing.

To be fair, Parasite is a high-power villain in the comics, for exactly the reasons you saw here.  They even made him look better than he does in the books (I've never seen the Alien-style head-in-his-mouth before), so props for that.  I hate that they blew him up, because he's a great villain for brawling.  They're definitely giving us some seriously top-level villains from the comics this year.

Alex's apartment!  I think we got a quick glimpse of it earlier this year (with Chyler framed in a tight closeup so you couldn't see much of the room), but they gave us a wide establishing shot and everything! It's neat to see the contrast between her austere Pomo-ish place and Kara's Bohemian paintings-stacked-against-the-walls loft.  And I also caught the pic of Jeremiah in the background of the shot.

Getting shot down / friend-zoned is hard enough, but at least I've never had to completely upend the way I saw myself as a person just to get to the point of asking the question.  I can imagine that Alex, in the "all new and shiny" phase as Maggie called it, might have thought something like "I've finally figured out what the problem was, now it'll all fall into place and things will be perfect!"  And... no, so screw it, I'm going to draw the curtains and day-drink (although she definitely wasn't sloppy-drunk).  I really hope TPTB put an Emmy submission reel together for Chyler 'cause she's killing it.

• Love 3

Wow, that was really horrible; except for the Alex part, which while being badly written, was at least well acted. Also, this show has basically become Buffy the Vampire Slayer since moving to the CW.

First off, the DEO just letting the only survivor of an X-Files type arctic disaster/plague wander off into the general populace because CLIMATE CHANGE NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED NOW BY SOME PROFESSOR is ridiculous. Since when do government agencies care about climate change?

Then, there's Idiot Boyfriends #1 and #2. Idiot Boyfriend #1, let's just call him Spike, is now making a living beating up demons who don't pay their gambling debts. Did I say demons? Silly me, I meant aliens! There's now an entire not-at-all-demon sub culture in National City that the super secret not-demon fighting agency totally failed to notice last year. Anyway, Kara is super pissed that skeevy Spike-El is doing skeevy things instead of being a hero. This leads to Spike-El trying his hand at heroics, and of course, he gets kidnapped by Cadmus. They're gonna put a chip in his head.

Next up is Idiot Boyfriend #2: Jimmy? James? Ah, it's Riley! His lust for capes (and those who wear them) has reached a fever pitch, and he convinces Wannabe Boyfriend #3 (Xander) to build him a super suit so he can be a hero just like the cool (hot) kids. Xander agrees out of hero worship, and barely contained homoerotic longing. It all works out surprisingly well, as in nobody actually dies. "Guardian" ends the episode eagerly anticipating his future as a costumed crime fighter and how turned on Kara/Clark will be the when they learn  the truth, while Xander stares at him with big, loving heart eyes.

Stay tuned to future episodes for Alex's magic addiction, and Kara's season long depression because she's alive and not deeeeaaaaaad!

Grr Argh

• Love 18

Well, this proves that if you want to be a main character you have to be at least one of the following:

-a hero/vigilante

-a cop/secret agent

-science/tech support

-main character's love interest

-very, very rich

I'm not sure if James being converted from love interest to vigilante is an improvement and heaven help us if talking to Oliver is what makes Kara embrace the idea of the Guardian running around the city.

If they wanted to introduce someone with less than selfless ideas about helping people they should have figured out a way to bring in Booster Gold.  Being a glory seeking douchebag would make sense in his case.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, regularlyleaded said:

I'm so with you here. I've been trying to find something about Jimmy's character to like for the last several episodes, but I'm done. I can't with this guardian story arc. From Jimmy's sudden onset Cape Envy (also how is he just breezing into the DEO; secret secure facility my ass) and manipulating Winn to participate in this stupidity (Winn is basically a huge ass walking, blabbing, military tech absconding security breach), to the miracles brought to you by "Because Plot (TM)" that prevent what should logically be Jimmy's death from blows dealt by an exponentially stronger alien being, I can't. The writers have managed to strike my last nerve with this and there's no more tolerance to be had on my part for Captain Cape Envy. He actually is ruining this season for me now. Unfortunately for me, I don't think he's going away anytime soon so my fast forward button and this show are about to get acquainted.

Yeah, pretty much me as well! I think one of my main issues is that he's guilt tripping Winn into helping him maybe without even realizing it. Winn probably wouldn't have helped if James hadn't insisted that he wouldn't stop and he would be a hero no matter what. Now Winn has to help because if he doesn't and James gets killed, he'll feel like it's on him. Winn's in a no-win(n?) situation here. He may like the idea of helping out and feeling like a hero, but it's James' manipulation and guilt-tripping that led Winn to that conclusion. 

I'm glad Winn got pissed about James strolling into the DEO, and wanting to go out on the field this soon against a PARASITE. I'm also sick of the thought in comics and on comics shows that if you're not out on the field, you're not a hero. It's stupid and pathetic. I also don't buy that Winn doesn't feel like a hero and James' new vigilante path has let him feel like a hero. I guess because it's a partner thing (when it really isn't) that he only feels like a hero, when Winn's really been a hero since making Kara her Supergirl costume. 

I just hate that all of Kara's stories thus far have pretty much been to prop other characters. Besides her journalism story arc, which hasn't been shown in two episodes, Kara's been used to prop other characters. Now, Alex's story is understandable and it helps that both actresses work well off of each other. But everyone else? Yeah, screw off Mon-El and James. Hell, I'm even a bit cautious on J'onn's story. 

(Oddly enough, even though I'm annoyed by everything not being centered around Kara, I'm so annoyed by everything being centered around Barry on The Flash and want more attention on other characters; so what do I know with my own hypocrisy?)

I just want an individualized story about Kara. Cat was the one character who got to give her that. I love Cat, but her main purpose had been for Kara and Supergirl. Though Cat was still given her story with her sons, so she wasn't just Kara's cheerleader. 

So, could I have CBS' writing for the characters back and have the old DEO set back and Max Lord, but can we keep the CGI, Lena Luthor, and Superman's occasional visits? And Superman is a character I've never really liked, but TH's version of Clark/Superman also propped Kara's story instead of taking away from it. 

And next week looks like it'll be even less about Kara so...great. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

Being a glory seeking douchebag would make sense in his case.

That how Jimmy's story arc is coming across for me. Probably wasn't their intention though. Saving people because you want people to recognize you as hero is not heroic. 

It will probably be Oliver, Sara, and Diggle that convince Kara that Jimmy can be a hero too. Even though those three actually went through real life training before suiting up. But it seems like Jimmy needs an ego boost from Kara in order to function as a person. He adds nothing, they should've just got rid of him when they knew they lost Cat. Send him back to Metropolis. He can go be unseen hero over there. Which would never happen because Superman doesn't need helpers only the women heroes do. 

• Love 4

I agree, Sakura12. That's my biggest issue with how they're doing Jimmy. His "all my friends wear capes" rant was sad. It comes across more as him stroking his own ego than anything else. You want to go out and help people because it's the right thing to do, fine, but you can't simply dress up in a funny costume and CALL YOURSELF a hero in order to get respect and to make yourself feel better. Kara helped National City even when everyone was pissed at her, because while I'm sure it feels good to be cheered she was there to help people. James as the head of CatCo could potentially do a lot more good, bringing attention to issues through their various media outlets, than he could ever do as Guardian.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

That how Jimmy's story arc is coming across for me. Probably wasn't their intention though. Saving people because you want people to recognize you as hero is not heroic. 

Actually, what's ironic is that they might have made a direct parallel in this episode with what Mon-El said to Kara, in that wanting to be recognized is not being a hero. It's actually pretty selfish. You have to want it for more reasons than just yourself. The fact that James (I really should be calling him Jimmy) said that he dreamed of being a hero ever since he found out about Clark is very telling about his purpose being all of this. Add that into the fact that he decided to do this because of his dad's camera also speaks volumes to Jimmy's selfishness. Winn's at least doing this for Jimmy, because he doesn't want him hurt or dead. And then Winn admitted that it's making him feel good, but it's not just about him. 

Mon-El has recognized that he didn't want to go out saving people UNTIL he had to actually save someone's life and realized that he might like it. He went out on the field to help because Kara was incapacitated, he felt guilty that she was hurt because she was doing something, and Alex called him out on his cowardice. I don't always like Mon-El, and I hate that he's getting more screen time than Kara, but his arc is a lot better developed than Jimmy's. 

Jimmy is the new Laurel, which is a MAJOR problem. Neither show knew what to do with either character so they thrusted them into the world of vigilantism to hopefully fix their purpose on the show. Laurel just had a one-up because of her comics alter ego.

• Love 3

Jimmy's whining and demanding Winn give him his suit now made him seem more like cartoon villain than a hero. 

I may not be a huge fan of Mon-El but I do like him saying that just because he has powers doesn't mean he needs to be a hero if he doesn't want to be and that doesn't make him a villain either (which are the only two options on the Flash).

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 5
36 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

went out on the field to help because Kara was incapacitated, he felt guilty that she was hurt because she was doing something, and Alex called him out on his cowardice. I don't always like Mon-El, and I hate that he's getting more screen time than Kara, but his arc is a lot better developed than Jimmy's.

I am not sure they are going to make Mon-El Daxim Royalty but I was thinking perhaps that could explain his incorrigible behavior if he spent his whole life with a lot of rules and requirements.

I think he was trying to make it up to Kara but at least at the moment I don't think he has feelings for her other than she has been his only friend since landing here.

• Love 2

I'm glad they're keeping it real with Alex and making it about her exploring the idea of being gay, and not about her getting with the gay hot chick.  I can do without Jimmy doing the super hero thing with Winn.  I know the writers wanted to give them something to do, but it is unbalancing the show.  With Winn at Catco and Cat Grant commanding the office, you had that nice balance of Kara's work life and her life a Supergirl.  It's a formula used by a lot of shows for a long time, with a split between the work setting and home.  Now we have the Guardian and Mon-El, so now everyone's a super hero and the focus is on Supergirl  more than Kara.  Plus Mon-El is a totally boring boy toy type who adds nothing to the show.

Edited by Dobian
grammar
  • Love 3

Martian Barista giving Martian Manhunter a disease from her blood transfusion was very AIDS-like in the time of Alex's coming out story.

They seem to be playing a long game with Winn Schott, AKA Toyman. His big speech to James about being the best [toymaker] James was ever going to meet was anvilicious I thought.

I'm liking the Alex coming-out story-they managed to throw me a bit of a swerve by having Maggie relegate Alex to the friends zone. I don't think her reaction to that was too overdone. Alex spent the whole episode mustering the courage to tell her sister, then Maggie, and then was politely turned down-had to make her feel if going through all this was worth it.  Maggie wasn't really turning her down, per se, but she wants to be sure Alex is not going through some phase where she wants to "experiment" and then not turn out to be into women as much as she thinks. But on Alex's part, it seems this thing for girls goes back a lot further than she thought...

It also highlighted one of the best things about the show-the sisterly bond between the two. I liked how when Kara wanted Alex to tell her more about Maggie, and her face lit up. And is this the first time ever we've seen Alex's place?

Edited by StarBrand
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Lokiberry said:

Wow, that was really horrible; except for the Alex part, which while being badly written, was at least well acted. Also, this show has basically become Buffy the Vampire Slayer since moving to the CW.

First off, the DEO just letting the only survivor of an X-Files type arctic disaster/plague wander off into the general populace because CLIMATE CHANGE NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED NOW BY SOME PROFESSOR is ridiculous. Since when do government agencies care about climate change?

Then, there's Idiot Boyfriends #1 and #2. Idiot Boyfriend #1, let's just call him Spike, is now making a living beating up demons who don't pay their gambling debts. Did I say demons? Silly me, I meant aliens! There's now an entire not-at-all-demon sub culture in National City that the super secret not-demon fighting agency totally failed to notice last year. Anyway, Kara is super pissed that skeevy Spike-El is doing skeevy things instead of being a hero. This leads to Spike-El trying his hand at heroics, and of course, he gets kidnapped by Cadmus. They're gonna put a chip in his head.

Next up is Idiot Boyfriend #2: Jimmy? James? Ah, it's Riley! His lust for capes (and those who wear them) has reached a fever pitch, and he convinces Wannabe Boyfriend #3 (Xander) to build him a super suit so he can be a hero just like the cool (hot) kids. Xander agrees out of hero worship, and barely contained homoerotic longing. It all works out surprisingly well, as in nobody actually dies. "Guardian" ends the episode eagerly anticipating his future as a costumed crime fighter and how turned on Kara/Clark will be the when they learn  the truth, while Xander stares at him with big, loving heart eyes.

Stay tuned to future episodes for Alex's magic addiction, and Kara's season long depression because she's alive and not deeeeaaaaaad!

Grr Argh

LOL yeah, Winn is totally the new Xander.

• Love 1

I agree with all of the criticism about James/Guardian. And what makes it worse is that James is not some anonymous schmo working a dead end job with no prospect of affecting real change. He runs a GLOBAL MEDIA CORPORATION! Perhaps his time would be better spent having his people follow up on reports of supers being kidnapped/killed.

I just love it when Melissa/Kara gets to eat or drink. Ice cream, pot stickers, alien booze. . . her reactions always make me smile. 

• Love 8

This show is overcrowded imo. There are way too many characters and I think the main character, Kara, is suffering because of it. I even like all the new characters for the most part (yes, even Mon-El---although that's mostly because I just can't dislike Chris Wood). It's not that I really want any of them to go, but there are just too many people on a show that really shouldn't be an ensemble cast. It seems like every episode there are one ore two characters completely missing...and most of the time there is too much going on to even notice. I honestly think Chyler has stolen this show from Melissa. She is the real mvp this season. She's done a fantastic job---and I really wasn't a big Alex fan last season, so she has vastly climbed up the character ranks for me!

I'm still not too sold on the guardian story but I understand why they are doing it. They have to figure out a way to incorporate James into more of the DEO/Superhero stuff. They didn't even have a scene at Catco this episode, and the DEO has not become the setting for the majority of the episode. If I was a writer, I'd cut Catco out altogether. There is no need for it without Cat Grant there. 

I'm also 100% convinced Mon-El is the prince of Daxam. He lied about who he is and how he escaped. After Alex's "coward" speech and they way he acts regarding being a hero---I think he fled the planet instead of staying behind with his people. Maybe he's ashamed of that. I definitely agree with others comparing him to Spike from Buffy. lol. I've had that same thought numerous times already. 

I also agree with those up thread complaining about the show's constant political themes. I follow a few of the writers on twitter and they are all VERY vocal about their political viewpoints. Which is totally fine!! But because of that, I can tell when I watch that many of their opinions bleed over into some the show's political themes. But at this point, I just expect it and don't get too worked up about it.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Whatever happened to them trying to find their dad? Is that over?

ETA: I hate the monster bar. It makes Kara seem less special somehow, IMO. It's monster of the week territory now.

It's sort of turned the show into Smallville.

• Love 1