Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 10/24/2016

Athena
  • Start Topic

30 minutes ago, backformore said:

Coming after an election where a president had to walk the line between defending himself from accusations that he is Muslim, while at the same time not denouncing Muslims for their faith, it is time to get religion out of our elections.

Elected officials uphold the laws. The supreme Court ruled on women's reproductive rights. The personal beliefs of leaders is not relevant.  We don't change all the laws to coincide with the religious feelings of the president.  CCB says she looks at "values", but she defines values as "view on abortion."

Yes, I agree completely.  If she is judging the candidates on their values, then she clearly cannot vote for Trump.  I though MM did a masterful job of not attacking her but using logic and common sense to make his point.

The funny thing about the whole exchange was that it started with a miscommunication.  He had said something about Hillary being a Christian that behaves Christian but doesn't talk about and conversely Christians who talk about being Christian don't behave that way.  BAB's slow brain was processing that and finally sputtered out "not all of us", but he was already two sentences past that point so he didn't realize what she was actually referring to, which was not a bad point since he was somewhat generalizing.  But that started him responding to her on the later points and as you have all noted, it was a thing of beauty.

It's interesting that in Canada the religious thing is really not part of our politics and is rarely discussed.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, backformore said:

Coming after an election where a president had to walk the line between defending himself from accusations that he is Muslim, while at the same time not denouncing Muslims for their faith, it is time to get religion out of our elections.

Elected officials uphold the laws. The supreme Court ruled on women's reproductive rights. The personal beliefs of leaders is not relevant.  We don't change all the laws to coincide with the religious feelings of the president.  CCB says she looks at "values", but she defines values as "view on abortion."

THIS! PREACH!

caps intended

• Love 5
1 hour ago, bannana said:

Yes, I agree completely.  If she is judging the candidates on their values, then she clearly cannot vote for Trump.  I though MM did a masterful job of not attacking her but using logic and common sense to make his point.

The funny thing about the whole exchange was that it started with a miscommunication.  He had said something about Hillary being a Christian that behaves Christian but doesn't talk about and conversely Christians who talk about being Christian don't behave that way.  BAB's slow brain was processing that and finally sputtered out "not all of us", but he was already two sentences past that point so he didn't realize what she was actually referring to, which was not a bad point since he was somewhat generalizing.  But that started him responding to her on the later points and as you have all noted, it was a thing of beauty.

It's interesting that in Canada the religious thing is really not part of our politics and is rarely discussed.

... and I like it that way!!!!

• Love 15

I can't stand Michael Moore and think he's an opportunistic little hobgoblin. He did do well with Candace though. How it is even possible for her to believe that Donald freaking Trump is in ANY way a religious man is beyond me. She needs off this show pronto. I don't actively hate her like I do her brother, but, it's wearing very thin. I respect anyone's wishes to pretty much do, say, and believe whatever the hell they want. It's enraging how much the right just constantly harps on gay marriage and abortion. Just get the fuck over it already and let's deal with the real very serious shit going down in this country. They don't give a damn about those babies once they are born. Zero fucks. I don't honestly think Trump cares about gay marriage, and I don't think HE would do anything to change the law, or Roe vs. Wade. Trump cares about Trump, only Trump. The only thing I see happening if he becomes President is our airports getting golder and statues of that douche pipe popping up everywhere, while the country crumbles from within.. Pence on the other hand..  Ugh.  

• Love 6
3 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

MM pointing out that many "pro-lifers" are all about making sure innocent fetuses are born.  However, once these babies are born many pro-lifers wash their hands of them. "Yea they are born, our job is done here." They do not support the funding of children's healthcare, education, food stamps and housing.  It is the pro-choice/liberal politicians and organizations that actually support caring for the children and their families once they are born.  MM checkmated Candance of the hypocrisy of the majority of those in the "pro-life" movement. The look on her face read like it was the first time she had ever considered the "after care" of the saved babies.

What is shocking to me is how many are pro war and pro death penalty.  And of course, pro physical discipline. I just don't get it.

• Love 9

At least there's someone making sense - whoever put the panel together for Michael Moore. No Whoopi and that's a good thing. She would've hemmed and hawed and hijacked the interview. As it was MM was able to make his points very effectively and CCB's hypocrisy was exposed. Notice, too, that Whoopi introduced the Kim K stuff without using her annoying VG voice. 

• Love 15
3 hours ago, bannana said:

I though MM did a masterful job of not attacking her but using logic and common sense to make his point.

That was really nice.  I guess he's used to confronting people similar to CCB.   I don't agree with MM all the time, but I think he's a nice voice to have around.  Jedi Bile is really straining to mainstream herself. 

• Love 12

The Uber segment was also ridiculous.  They rate customers?  Please. I can count on one hand, the number of times I've had to wait for them to come; the number of times a rider who was a minute away, to suddenly cancel and I had to wait another 15-20 minutes. And as for talking? Every single Uber driver has been a Chatty Charlie when I'm trying to read my Kindle or email.

But I totally believe that Jediblalyingliarwholies is a total jerk when she's a customer and don't believe her high rating.

And Joy was just great when she was talking about Kevin Meaney. It was so heartfelt. 

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, springtime said:

MM's interaction with CCB is making the news

Live and Let Live

There is a great quote in the comments on this article. "She looked at Michael Moore like she had never heard words before". I think that sums up CCB's approach to most interviews she is a part of on the show. 

I think Jed should look up the definition of libertarian. I wonder if MM has ever been called one before?

• Love 6

Why are they deffering to Whoopi when it comes to Kim Kardashian? Why? What does Whoopi know about pop culture and social media? She openly and proudly despise anything about social media.

Edited by geekburger
  • Love 1

It sure takes a lot to get through to Candace - even when her plastic face tries so very hard to process it and simply can't. But of course fails. And -  good grief - who cannot laugh? Candace, unless it is so totally irrelevant.

• Love 4

I would love it if just one time Joy who was raised a Catholic would look at CCB and remind her which Church compiled the Bible. You want to see steam come out of the ears of someone like CCB? Try drilling down with the fact that the early Catholic Church decided what books would be in the bible and which would not be and put those books together. Evangelicals often don't even count Catholics as Christians. Ignorant of the fact that all of their churches descend from each other and ultimately descend from Catholicism? C'mon Joy, just once...

• Love 19

I think the “if you don’t like abortion, don’t have one” argument is too complex for Candace.

Honestly, as someone who is unabashedly pro-choice, I personally think this argument is facile and I'm not a fan of it at all. The pro-life rhetoric is that abortion is murder; if you believe* that abortion is murder, then it holds no water to say in response, "well if you don't like abortions, then don't just have one!" It's pithy, but it doesn't make much sense as a rebuttal. 

* For the record, I do think that many pro-lifers, at least those within the political sphere, don't genuinely believe that abortion is murder and that it's simply a convenient way to control women's sexuality. The whole thing about being "pro-birth" and not genuinely "pro-life" is right. 

• Love 11

They're really out of sync today and not on top of their game. Does Sara really not get the "nasty woman" meme and HRC supporters taking ownership of it? How obtuse can she be? Did she even watch the debate or was she too busy following twitter? CCB pretty much fell flat with her son's Kerri Walsh sighting. And Jedi should know better than to liken Obama's post presidency to Bush's. Bush left with one of the lowest approval ratings in history. Nobody wanted to hear what he had to say - not even people in his own party. 

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 15

Boring show today. I did like the guest (actor/comedian?) even though I didn’t know who he was. The only entertainment came from Candace’s sour faces whenever Joy would make little comments like Trump not being supported by any of the living presidents and Groped Women Anonymous.

This panel is just a mess. You’d think this season would have an easy job improving on last year now that Raven is mostly non-existent, but Sunny’s never on and Paula was replaced by someone completely unbearable. I’m just so annoyed that Jedi is there 24/7 and Sunny is barely ever present. On a personal level though, I’m glad for Sunny that she doesn’t have to deal with Whoopi Goldberg. I wish they were playing a long-game, and we got Sunny and Paula back at the table permanently once Whoopi isn’t there to terrorize them next season. Jedi’s only worth on this show—and I do mean ONLY—is when she’s steamrolled by Sunny. The added cherry would be Rosie O and Padma being there, too (two other people Whoopi didn’t condone being at the table because they made her feel insecure about being an idiot).

• Love 9

I totally agree with Galax-arena, abt the pro-lifers  view of abortion and MM's glib answer--and I have been pro-choice for over 45 years. 

Anti-choice folks are trying to save babies--never mind what happens to then after they're born. Hypocrites. 

MM should have focused on how is CCB or other evangelicals helping those kids here without basics of life--like enough food, shelter,  families, like foster kids,  etc.

Edited by Tosia
Gritting my teeth while typing.
  • Love 11

Candace thinks the best way to protect the "unborn," is to outlaw abortion for any reasons....... rape, incest, even to save a mother's life, in pregnancies where a fetus lacks major organs, has died, in utero, or has been diagnosed with a terminal condition. Sorry, Barbie, but making it illegal for doctors to save their patient's lives  & claiming the deaths of those women was "G-d's Will," doesn't cut it with me.     

• Love 21

You are so right, Tosia. For years I've been arguing this point with Right To Lifers and that is, if you people expect EVERY SINGLE WOMAN who gets pregnant, to have it and KEEP it, when said pregnancy is: 

1. A mistake, not planned
  2. The result of rape or incest

Then, are you also going to house, clothe, feed, pay for medical care and schooling of said child? No? I didn't think so. But then, the CBDs of this world are never that practical because they're too busy forcing their views on everybody else.

Why did Babba WaWa EVER think that it would be a good idea to add her to the panel? She's always hopelessly out of her depth when there's any sort of serious discussion taking place and SHE JUST DOESN'T FIT IN. How obvious does it have to be?!!

• Love 6
Just now, honeydo7 said:

Candace thinks the best way to protect the "unborn," is to outlaw abortion for any reasons....... rape, incest, even to save a mother's life, in pregnancies where a fetus lacks major organs, has died, in utero, or has been diagnosed with a terminal condition. Sorry, Barbie, but making it illegal for doctors to save their patient's lives  & claiming the deaths of those women was "G-d's Will," doesn't cut it with me.     

I don't think that Candace has the depth to analyze the complexity surrounding Abortion.  It is not an easy decision, for a woman to make, in terminating a pregnancy, for whatever reason. Like somebody said on here, she is intellectually lazy and sees the situation in a simplistic manner. Whoopie is always at her best, when she is talking passionately, about a woman's right, to choose.  I wish somebody would tell the Christian Barbie, about the devastating results of when the Communist government of Romania, forced women to bear children, against their will.  

• Love 7

Somehow Candace again went the whole first segment without saying anything. What is she getting paid for?! 

1 hour ago, merriebreeze said:

They're really out of sync today and not on top of their game. Does Sara really not get the "nasty woman" meme and HRC supporters taking ownership of it? How obtuse can she be? Did she even watch the debate or was she too busy following twitter? CCB pretty much fell flat with her son's Kerri Walsh sighting. And Jedi should know better than to liken Obama's post presidency to Bush's. Bush left with one of the lowest approval ratings in history. Nobody wanted to hear what he had to say - not even people in his own party. 

Agreed about Sara. It was painful listening to her try and get her words out. She just sounded so clueless. 

And yes the Obama post presidency can not be compared to W's. President Obama will be living as a pretty popular president and a historical president. He will also  (if the polls hold) be leaving office followed by a person of the same party, which Bush also didn't have. So while not many people were  trying to hear from W, I guarantee you people will want to from President Obama. Michelle probably even more! 

• Love 18

Wow, everyone seemed to be out of sync. Wrong names for Will Forte's TV show... and Will properly correcting it (that was what he was there for, to promote the season's premier of his show) and then on and on with Whoopi's return comments. Will Forte is a really smart and nice guy. He was trying to give her a graceful ending by saying that even his mom uses the wrong name for  the show sometimes but Whoopi wouldn't let it go.

And so many pregnant pauses. As if the entire panel wasn't paying attention most of the time.

My thoughts on why that was going on today? It seemed like there might be a bigger issue that the whole panel was aware of and thinking about and couldn't concentrate on who or what was in front of them. Show being canceled? One of the panelists seriously ill? Gossip that has upset them? I could be wrong but something seemed to have distracted all of them.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

And they totally misunderstood the problem with the Walking Dead. But what else is new?

Right.  It's just one more example of them talking about some issue that's "trending"  without having any understanding.   Yes, Whoopi, fans of the walking Dead show are upset.  (no, I'm not a fan, but I know some).  So - the discussion goes to "parents!  Monitor what your children are watching!"   Yeah, that's not the issue. A quick google search could have clued them in, but why bother?

Edited by backformore
  • Love 10
8 minutes ago, backformore said:

Right.  It's just one more example of them talking about some issue that's "trending"  without having any understanding.   Yes, Whoopi, fans of the walking Dead show are upset.  (no, I'm not a fan, but I know some).  So - the discussion goes to "parents!  Monitor what your children are watching!" 

Whoopie, the all knowing sage, had to bellow out to parents, about monitoring their children's TV habits. Shut the hell up, she is so annoying. It really bothers me, how she always has to have the floor, for every topic, that the panel has to discuss.  Her incoherence is maddening!

It is really painful to watch Sarah Haines on the panel, she is so clueless..Joy seems to be getting tired of having to explain everything, under the sun, to her. She would have fit in more, when Jenny and Sherrie were on the panel.  My dream panel  for the show would have been Padma, Joy, Star,Sunny, Paula and Rosie O'Donnell,  to discuss the contentious presidential elections that is polarizing our country. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 11

When I see women putting up their campaign signs in their yards or proudly wearing their Trump/Pence t-shirts, I get angry wondering if they are aware of, or agree with Pence's vile stance as a "pro-life christian," to criminalize women (regardless of age) for having periods, since he believes the flow, removes cells of a potential unborn child. The thoughts of my daughter & pre-teen grand daughters being jailed for a normal, natural bodily occurrence sickens & disgusts me.  

• Love 15
3 minutes ago, honeydo7 said:

When I see women putting up their campaign signs in their yards or proudly wearing their Trump/Pence t-shirts, I get angry wondering if they are aware of, or agree with Pence's vile stance as a "pro-life christian," to criminalize women (regardless of age) for having periods, since he believes the flow, removes cells of a potential unborn child. The thoughts of my daughter & pre-teen grand daughters being jailed for a normal, natural bodily occurrence sickens & disgusts me.  

Don't forget! conversion therapy for the LGBT community. Pence is more dangerous than Trump, on so many levels...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 17

I'm having a real problem posting. For two days in a row, I write out a post, hit "submit reply" and I get a message saying that it was "Saved" but it's not saved!!! It bloody well DISAPPEARS!!!

So frustrating!! Anybody else have this happen?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, dinkysquid said:

I'm having a real problem posting. For two days in a row, I write out a post, hit "submit reply" and I get a message saying that it was "Saved" but it's not saved!!! It bloody well DISAPPEARS!!!

I was going to link you to the thread about this in the Bugs section but saw that you already found it. I was having weird issues yesterday but haven't run into them as of yet today though.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, dinkysquid said:

addressed in this thread

Yeah, it has been happening to me a few times.  sometimes, when you try "reply" again, the post you were writing re-appears. 

It happens more with longer posts, or when you have the window opened  for a long time.

(@Jaded types faster than me)

Edited by backformore
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, spiritof76 said:

Somehow Candace again went the whole first segment without saying anything. What is she getting paid for?! 

Agreed about Sara. It was painful listening to her try and get her words out. She just sounded so clueless. 

And yes the Obama post presidency can not be compared to W's. President Obama will be living as a pretty popular president and a historical president. He will also  (if the polls hold) be leaving office followed by a person of the same party, which Bush also didn't have. So while not many people were  trying to hear from W, I guarantee you people will want to from President Obama. Michelle probably even more! 

Jediblabla can have seat. Look what kind of life Clinton has lived since leaving office, not to mention Carter. Why would be want not know his opinion on things someone is always sticking a microphone in front of  Palin and Channey.  The few paintings I have send of Bushes are awful but art is objective. 

How often are the after shows I may check it out to see if the panels dynamic is the same as today. 

Edited by athousandclowns
Typos!
  • Love 3

Yesterday's Michael Moore CCB convo made front page Huffpo

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/michael-moore-candace-cameron-bure_us_580f800be4b02444efa579a0

Maybe that's why things were off today. Does she feel she was set up? Was she in the dark about his appearance and where the discussion was likely to go? Too bad, Chickie. In the inimitable words of Elisabeth Hasslebeck to RO "you are an adult defend your insinuations"

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 12

We know as "good christian," 40-year old Candace would be willing to step up & have babies until she hits menopause, if Pence becomes VP & pushes to make his bizarre idea of punishing women who have menses, the law of the land.........think CCB even cares how such a hateful law could harm her daughter, her sister & her nieces? Till tomorrow.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, maryis1 said:

My thoughts on why that was going on today? It seemed like there might be a bigger issue that the whole panel was aware of and thinking about and couldn't concentrate on who or what was in front of them. Show being canceled? One of the panelists seriously ill? Gossip that has upset them? I could be wrong but something seemed to have distracted all of them.

"Enquiring" minds want to know!

2 hours ago, maryis1 said:

You make it seem like this hardly ever happens.  This happens several times a week, sometimes several times an episode.  A topic will be brought up and not one of the five panelists will have any idea what is going on.  This is not an isolated incident, it's the rule, rather than the exception.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

And they totally misunderstood the problem with the Walking Dead. But what else is new?

ITA. Yes Whoopie, if it is about the Walking Dead there will be zombies eating people. But the discussion SHOULD have been, imho, about how violence in all genres has become so much more graphic, bloody and unwatchable, that people who previosly enjoyed zombie, medical, historical, sci-fi, etc. programs can no longer stomach them. There seems to be no limit of the gore and violence shown, and instead, each program needs to outdo the previous ones. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Tosia said:

Anti-choice folks are trying to save babies--never mind what happens to then after they're born. Hypocrites. 

MM should have focused on how is CCB or other evangelicals helping those kids here without basics of life--like enough food, shelter,  families, like foster kids,  etc.

The anti-choice people like CCB tend to love the fetus & hate the child (once it's born).

Edited by ariel
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, maryis1 said:

I'm not sure it's any deeper than thinking about what they were going to have for lunch.  

• Love 6

They're really out of sync today and not on top of their game. Does Sara really not get the "nasty woman" meme and HRC supporters taking ownership of it? How obtuse can she be? Did she even watch the debate or was she too busy following twitter

Airhead Sara is too busy following twitter. She can't keep up on this show and that says a lot. The View is not rocket science.

• Love 3
On 10/24/2016 at 10:59 AM, backformore said:

CCB is intellectually lazy . 

That's generous backformore.  See, I honestly don't think it's laziness or even being uneducated; I think she's just not that smart and by not that smart I mean, dumb.   I'm sure she's a kind and thoughtful mother, probably a good wife (whatever that is, LOL)  and very very happy living in tiny Candaceland where woodland creatures sing her awake and everyone is nice and clean, white and straight.     Anytime she bumps up against anything messy or that doesn't fit into her Disney animated world she retreats, sometimes literally (walking out of a Broadway play) or by being quiet. 

Bitsy used to parrot talking points but I never thought for a minute she was dumb.   Not as smart as she thought she was of course but she built a 15 year career out of one season on Survivor despite lacking any discernible talent or broadcasting skills.    That's more than luck - that's cunning too. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Love2dance said:

ITA. Yes Whoopie, if it is about the Walking Dead there will be zombies eating people. But the discussion SHOULD have been, imho, about how violence in all genres has become so much more graphic, bloody and unwatchable, that people who previosly enjoyed zombie, medical, historical, sci-fi, etc. programs can no longer stomach them. There seems to be no limit of the gore and violence shown, and instead, each program needs to outdo the previous ones. 

I watched this segment with mr. bannana who is a faithful viewer of the Walking Dead.  He actually had horrible nightmares about the episode, so much so that he talked to me about it.  So after Whoopi bloviated, I asked if he is a WD fan, what was so gross or disturbing about this ep.  It was that it was graphic and heartbreaking.  It was also not zombies, so Whoopi was way off.  Human to human.  He said the way it was shot and how graphic and emotional it was had a big impact.  He never gets grossed out by anything (I do which is why I don't watch it).  So the show did seem to cross some sort of line even for hardcore viewers. 

Also Whoopi just kept beating that Walking Dead horse to death and repeating her point over and over.  She is just nauseatingly annoying.  So when she says something that makes sense or is insightful, nobody is listening.

• Love 13