Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 10/24/2016

Athena
  • Start Topic

SDS   -- Students for a Democratic Society. Sheesh Whoopi.

On 10/23/2016 at 1:24 AM, Bmarsh said:

So excited for Tuesday. I love Dana! She was delightful two seasons ago with Nicolle

And Will Forte too! Tomorrow should be a good show for guest appearances.

I love you Michael Moore for getting BAB's feathers all ruffled! He said to her face what so many of us have been saying about her and wanting to say to her in these weekly threads since she started.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 14

Looks like after a couple of weeks with a NEW dingy, faded, dirty-looking brown scarf, Whoopi returned to her original grey one. 

Do these women think that their audience is obsessed with the Kardashians?  Because I know very little about them, I'm not sure which is which, and  I have no interest in them at all.  I watched the first 20 minutes with my finger on the FF button.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 7

Whoopi thinks it's YOUNG women who are walking away from the Ivanka Trump fashion? 

Gee, last winter, I got in a conversation on Macy's with some other 50+ women in the winter coat section, about how we didn't want to buy the Ivanka trump parkas, even at 40% off.   I don't think women who shop for clothes at Macy's and Nordstrom are young women wanting to look like Ivanka.   I'm pretty sure the only connection she has to the fashion line is a financial one.  THey use her name, she gets a cut of the profits.

Oh, and whoopi - the Cubs don't have to "do well in the play-offs"  now.  They just WON - next is the WORLD SERIES.  If you're gong to talk about baseball, get it right!

Edited by backformore
  • Love 10

I nearly fell off my bed when Moore made his comment about Christians who are always constantly shouting their religion, because it described the person sitting next to him although I don’t think he realized it when he said it. Of course she made the segment all about herself at that point, just like Elisabeth with Bill Maher years ago. I think the “if you don’t like abortion, don’t have one” argument is too complex for Candace.

• Love 19
19 minutes ago, cinsays said:

Seriously?  Time spent on Kim Kartrashian and how she's such a good business woman and model for others to emulate?  Even CCB?  amazing

No kidding. Really Whoops? Kim Kardashian? Really?

They reported on a question someone asked her about her celebrity and Kim responded by calling it her "career".

That was worth some serious snark right there, imho.

Then I changed the channel and missed some Michael Moore stuff? Boo!

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, backformore said:

Whoopi thinks it's YOUNG women who are walking away from the Ivanka Trump fashion? 

Gee, last winter, I got in a conversation on Macy's with some other 50+ women in the winter coat section, about how we didn't want to buy the Ivanka trump parkas, even at 40% off.   I don't think women who shop for clothes at Macy's and Nordstrom are young women wanting to look like Ivanka.   I'm pretty sure the only connection she has to the fashion line is a financial one.  THey use her name, she gets a cut of the profits.

Oh, and whoopi - the Cubs don't have to "do well in the play-offs"  now.  They just WON - next is the WORLD SERIES.  If you're gong to talk about baseball, get it right!

I didn't see it but I wonder if Paula, a big Cubs fan, were there and corrected her would Whoopi admit her mistake. lol

17 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

CCB?  Isn't Michael Moore upsetting you enough to walk off the stage?  You know you want to!  Go ahead!

Michael Moore " America voted for Fantasia over Jennifer Hudson?"  Ha Ha Ha!

I tuned in for Michael Moore and that was a great exchange between Candace and Michael. What Michael says is so true, the more one brings up their religion, the more they are trying to prove something. Actions speak louder than words.

I missed what Sara said at the end. Does anyone remember what she said?

• Love 14

NewDigs, you HAVE to check out the Michael Moore segment.  It was a thing of beauty, talking about how Hillary lives her Christianity rather than crowing about it. I thought BAB's head was going to explode. 

• Love 21

Holy shit I loved it. I, too,  thought CCB's head was going to effing explode She recognized herself as someone who constantly yaps about her religion such that it feels like she's forcing it down my throat  Just the LOOK ON HER FACE is enough to check out the show.  For those who want to check it out without watching the whole show,  start at around minute 39-40.  I found it priceless. The camera panned to a closeup of CCB and I thought steam would come out of her ears.

Kim K is "famous" rich etc bc she is attractive AND she appears completely naked at a drop of a hat.  (imo)

Edited by ari333
  • Love 12
11 minutes ago, Haleth said:

NewDigs, you HAVE to check out the Michael Moore segment.  It was a thing of beauty, talking about how Hillary lives her Christianity rather than crowing about it. I thought BAB's head was going to explode. 

THIS!! .....THING OF BEAUTY indeed. Ok, I watched that segment  twice

Edited by ari333
  • Love 7

Moore was addressing CCB directly and even turned to her. (She was seated beside him) He said that if you don't believe in abortion, don't get one. And then he said that if you don't believe in gay marriage, don't get gay married bc you wont like it.  I may be paraphrasing a couple of words, but that was almost word for word and was certainly the gist. I started to do a little dance.

• Love 18

I love Kevin Meaney. Gone too soon . We  still say to a family member, in jest,  "Hey, you cant go outside in public  in those pants! We're big pants people!" when someone is wearing super tight pants . R.I.P ,Kevin. You gave us so many laughs .

I wrote gest when I meant jest. I could claim a typo, but that would be a lie :-)

Edited by ari333
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, ari333 said:

Moore was addressing CCB directly and even turned to her. (She was seated beside him) He said that if you don't believe in abortion, don't get one. And then he said that if you don't believe in gay marriage, don't get gay married bc you wont like it.  I may be paraphrasing a couple of words, but that was almost word for word and was certainly the gist. I started to do a little dance.

What?! I missed that! OMG! I need to see that so bad! I need this exchange in my life right this moment! This sounds glorious! 

Edited by spiritof76
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, spiritof76 said:

What?! I missed that! OMG! I need to see that so bad! I need this exchange in my life right this moment! This sounds glorious! 

It  was awesome and glorious . CCB tried to get snarky with him and she couldn't pull it off . Shocker. The only thing that would have been the cherry on the perfect parfait would have been if she had stormed off and stomped her feet as she left. Alas, that did not happen; but I was half expecting it (and hoping.)

I'll be in hell if you need me :-) My handcart awaits.... or is it handbasket.. well, at any rate,  my conveyance to hell awaits heh

PS

I said "Alas"

Surely "the" youtube as my bf calls it , will have a clip of that exchange or I guess the whole show will be ON Demand tomorrow for some. IDK. .

• Love 8

It was glorious. 

I was wondering if for some reason Hillary was anti abortion would CCB support her?  Is she seriously such a one issue voter that she can completely ignore whatever else the candidate says?  Does she not realize that Trump (whose position on abortion is murky) is pandering to the Christian Right?  Never mind, I know the answer. 

Incidentally, my kid in law school had to write a 3 page essay this morning on Roe v Wade as a midterm exam. Most people don't know what the law really is about. It's protection for the doctor, not the patient. 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, ari333 said:

It  was awesome and glorious . CCB tried to get snarky with him and she couldn't pull it off . Shocker. The only thing that would have been the cherry on the perfect parfait would have been if she had stormed off and stomped her feet as she left. Alas, that did not happen; but I was half expecting it (and hoping.)

I'll be in hell if you need me :-) My handcart awaits.... or is it handbasket.. well, at any rate,  my conveyance to hell awaits heh

PS

I said "Alas"

She tried to get snarky? With Michael Moore? Well that sounds like a trainwreck waiting to happen. I don't even need to see it to know she does not have the range for that. She does not have the range. This is not the show for her. 

• Love 9

Thank you MM for bringing up Jesse Ventura being elected Govenor of Mn.  As a Minnesotan I find the parallels between Ventura and Trump frightening.  Jesse was a  former wrestler and shock radio jock, some believed his run for govenor was a stunt, his followers may have a lot in common with Trump's.. 

The outcome of Jesse's term was painful.  Jesse was thin skinned, blamed the media for his failings, could not work with either side of the aisle, made a mess of the budget, left the state in the red.  

This is just my opinion, some of my friends voted for him and as a good friend I bring it up to their attention only when appropriate.  

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, spiritof76 said:

She tried to get snarky? With Michael Moore? Well that sounds like a trainwreck waiting to happen. I don't even need to see it to know she does not have the range for that. She does not have the range. This is not the show for her. 

Operative word is "tried." He shot her down, but good.  CCB: "Well, it would be nice if everyone respected everyone's opinions and values." My thought was, REALLY CCB? How about starting with yourself - by respecting others' opinions and values? Oh, I cant quote her exactly from memory , but that was the gist of it. She was stumbling for words.  And she wishes, "Hillary would, well... I don't want to say, 'play the Christian card' but..."  

Edit to add

Great! see clip above. Thanks for that! Jaded

Edited by ari333
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, spiritof76 said:

I smell another blog coming.  Her followers will eat up her outrage and add a bit of their own.

I haven't seen the exchange but will look on "the youtube" later and hope it's there as this Canadian cannot access much of the US content posted.

I do love that Michael used the "just don't do it" argument but sadly, it will never break through the wall of intolerance and ignorance she has erected to guard the certainty of her righteousness.  Have faith, practice whatever religion speaks to you but don't push it on anyone else or deny anyone basic human rights and common decency because of those beliefs.  And if you believe there is a judgement day, I would like to remind you that you're not going to be the one doing the roll call or dropping the hammer so lose the overt judgments in the here and now all in the name of God.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, Jaded said:

This clip should start right before MM starts talking about some Christians.

Thank you! Yup, Candace is so out of her depth. Ugh! When she said she doesn't think Hillary lives out her faith because she's pro-choice? I wanted to climb through the screen! As a very proud pro-choice Christian I think she is being so short sighted on this issue. And then she threw in "for those of us who really look to the Bible", as if to say if you don't believe as she does then you aren't really following the Bible. I look to the Bible too. That's why I try to love my neighbor as my self (ain't easy, but I I'm working on it). That's why I know I am called to help the sick and the poor. To show compassion for others.To not be quick to judge. If her sole determination as to whether someone is a Christian or not is where they stand on abortion then she has missed the whole point. That actually makes me sad. Thank you Michael Moore for exposing her.

• Love 24

That exchange between Michael Moore and The Christian Barbie made my day.  It was glorious. I literally laughed out loud, when she tried to get snarky with him. She was out of her league and she knows it.  I have always been a fan of Michael's, but, I love him even more, for deftly putting Candace in her place..lol  The bible says that faith without works is dead.  You have to put in the work, as a Christian and not, just, talk the talk.  You have to live it, everyday, by loving your neighbor, as you love yourself.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 16
2 minutes ago, spiritof76 said:

Thank you! Yup, Candace is so out of her depth. Ugh! When she said she doesn't think Hillary lives out her faith because she's pro-choice? I wanted to climb through the screen!  As a very proud pro-choice Christian I think she is being so short sighted on this issue. And then she threw in "for those of us who really look to the Bible", as if to say if you don't believe as she does then you aren't really following the Bible. I look to the Bible too. That's why I try to love my neighbor as my self (ain't easy, but I I'm working on it). That's why I know I am called to help the sick and the poor. To show compassion for others.To not be quick to judge. If her sole determination as to whether someone is a Christian or not is where they stand on abortion then she has missed the whole point. That actually makes me sad. Thank you Michael Moore for exposing her.

Bold By Me (BBM)

I agree with your whole post , but the bold parts (I bolded) leap out to me.  THIS!

• Love 6

I may be projecting here, but did anyone else notice an extra gleam in Joy's eyes when Michael was about to speak? It seemed to me as if she knew a Barbie smackdown was coming.  

Edited by ari333
  • Love 11
3 minutes ago, ari333 said:

Bold By Me (BBM)

I agree with your whole post , but the bold parts (I bolded) leap out to me.  THIS!

Honestly she made me so mad! I might need to go pray! LOL! 

But in all honesty it makes me sad that she has been given the platform she has, when she is such a poor example of faith. I know. I'm judging. But unlike BAB, I realize I'm still a work in progress.

7 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

The bible says that faith without works is dead.  You have to put in the work, as a Christian and not just talk the talk..You have to live it, everyday, by loving your neighbor, as you love yourself.

Yup! Actually one of my favorite scriptures. If you have to spend all day telling everyone how holy and good you are, you're doing it wrong. Don't talk about it, because about it. 

It's funny, when MM was explaining how Hillary had spent her life helping others, helping children and families, Candace had the most blank look on her face, like those things just did not compute. And I thought MM was actually very cordial and respectful to her. 

• Love 18
52 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I was wondering if for some reason Hillary was anti abortion would CCB support her?

My question is -  if Trump didn't say he would appoint people to the supreme court who want to overturn Roe V Wade -  what would CCB think about the election?  If both candidates were equal on the abortion issue - who would she support?

Not that I believe for a minute that Trump wants to outlaw abortions.  All his "ripping babies from their mothers days before birth"  was bullshit rhetoric that he was given to say to pander to the Christian right wingers, all a mischaracterization and he knew it.    It drives me crazy that after all these years, after women have been given the right to choose, that this one issue comes up every election. 

And why does she want Hillary to SAY she's Christian? She's not running for a religious leadership position.  Christianity is one of the religions in America - it's not the only one, and it isn't innately superior to all others. 

• Love 20
15 minutes ago, spiritof76 said:

It's funny, when MM was explaining how Hillary had spent her life helping others, helping children and families, Candace had the most blank look on her face, like those things just did not compute. And I thought MM was actually very cordial and respectful to her. 

Candace truly believes that Hillary is the devil incarnate, like so many do, in the extreme right wing of her party.  So, she is at a loss for words, when confronted with Hillary's lifelong career, of being in service, of others. Candace is just repeating what her husband and crazy brother tells her to believe. She has no clue about anything in life.  Abortion is the only issue that she is interested in, it is her right as an American. However, it is kind of sad, because, there are so many  other issues plaguing our country.  This is the same woman who once whined about the ten commandments not being on government buildings.  She conveniently forgot that our founders clearly wanted the separation of church and state.  They were wise enough, to understand, that sometimes religious fervor can sometimes surpass reason, with devastating results, for the populace.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 17

My Trump theory has always been that he really never actually wanted to be President.  I think it started with ego, and, perhaps to make some kind of statement.  He'd say something outrageous and a segment of the population went crazy.  As he got more supporters, he became more outrageous, thinking he'd lose support, but, he gained it.  I personally think he's a little freaked out that he may be the next President, and really never expected to be.  Like I said, JMHO.  But if he is our next President, people like Candace may be in for a rude awakening when his true positions are exposed.  

i was not too crazy about today's panel, and it might be my imagination but it seems like Whoopie's getting worse with her "welcome to the Views".

• Love 10

And why exactly should Hillary play the "Christian card"?  As backformore posted above she isn't running to be President of Christians.  I'm always instantly turned off by politicians (blue and red) who always make their faith such an important part of their public personas.  One reason being I am suspicious they are  just pandering to a religious base and two I do NOT want a politician who is going to be influenced by their faith.  Yes I understand a person's faith influences all facets of their life but when it causes you to ignore law and common sense then you shouldn't be in a position where you decide things that affect millions of people who might not think like you.

Candace really needs to find another venue for her constant "as a Christian" refrain.  Maybe her, Elisabeth and Sherri can start a traveling revue of former View cohosts Christians.

• Love 16

CCB is intellectually lazy . 

Just like she doesn't want to watch an entire play to determine if the parody of religion is smart and funny, if she can find one song offensive and write the whole thing off.   She doesn't want to watch the debates and listen to the issues and consider policies and character, if she can just find one "Christian"  thing to be upset about and write off a candidate on that basis.  Abortion, easy, no need to think.

It's laziness, and it's what a certain candidate is counting on  - Hillary wants to rip babies out of wombs!  A vote for Trump is a vote for babies!  (who doesn't like babies?) 

• Love 12

Thanks to all for the recaps of and the encouragement to see the MM segment And big thanks to @Jaded for the clip. I don't usually have the patience to hunt them down,

That was a thing of beauty. It's a shame it probably went flying right over CCB's airhead. 

If she's voting for Trump because she thinks he lives biblically then I've got some land for sale... I wish she had explained why all of the fundies seem to be on the TrumpTrain. Mr. I'll-pay-you-to-get-an-abortion has their support. Maybe she just needs to shoehorn in her main talking point at any opportunity.

Oh, and playing the "christian card" doesn't always end well. It tends to sometimes incite arguments or end discussions. 

The simple, Do unto others ... works well. 

Live it, don't announce it.

Go Michael!

• Love 11

Happy to see Michael essentially humiliate CCB.

Americans that  are certain in their religious beliefs respect the 1st Amendment and know better than to force their particular beliefs on others.  Michael is correct - Hillary lives her faith rather than spew divisive nonsense on teevee like CCB.

If you haven't - it's worth spending the $4.99 on iTunes - as pissed as I am/was at Michael Moore over the primaries, he redeems himself in support of Hillary in this film.

• Love 14
4 minutes ago, NextIteration said:

Happy to see Michael essentially humiliate CCB.

Americans that  are certain in their religious beliefs respect the 1st Amendment and know better than to force their particular beliefs on others.  Michael is correct - Hillary lives her faith rather than spew divisive nonsense on teevee like CCB.

Exactly. I don't need everyone to think or live like me. I actually don't understand the need of those who do. It just doesn't make sense to me. I'm also suspicious of people who go on and on about their faith. I'm more interested in your actions. I know some people who say all the right things but live ugly lives.

What's funny about this election is that according to a recent Pew poll, evangelicals are the only Christian religious group that is squarely behind Trump. No wavering. The other groups listed, Catholics, Mainline Protestants are actually pretty evenly split. Maybe that is what she meant by "those of us who look to the Bible". Perhaps to her those other Christians aren't real  Christians. 

I'll say this CCB's participation on this show has finally exposed her. Before this she benefited from the belief that she wasn't as strident or crazy as her brother. I think it has helped her go more mainstream. With each day, I think we are seeing the mask slip.

• Love 13
6 minutes ago, spiritof76 said:

Perhaps to her those other Christians aren't real  Christians. 

Ding Ding Ding.

Hard core born again Evangelicals believe that no others (no matter their Christian faith) receive Grace, or will be accepted in Heaven.

• Love 13
8 minutes ago, NextIteration said:

Ding Ding Ding.

Hard core born again Evangelicals believe that no others (no matter their Christian faith) receive Grace, or will be accepted in Heaven.

Right, that is what comes up when differentiating Catholics and Christians.  If you are raised Catholic, you consider yourself Christian.  But evangelical Christians say you're not.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, backformore said:

Right, that is what comes up when differentiating Catholics and Christians.  If you are raised Catholic, you consider yourself Christian.  But evangelical Christians say you're not.

It's especially true with Catholics and Mormons, but it also applies with run of the mill not born again Protestants.  It's something about accepting Jesus into your heart, shenanigans.  I'll never understand it really - being a recovered agnostic/atheist Catholic, but I have stories about it. ;)

I proudly failed.  Which is why I detest CCB.

• Love 8

Maybe I will take further rants and questions to small talk, but as for the show today with MM and CCB's exchange.... what galls me is CCB's attitude. I guess I don't understand why there is a need to force others to believe as she does and that is the feeling I get from her. Are they taught to force beliefs down the throats of others in order to "save" them? Sincere question.

Here's one , as it pertains to the issue imo. Some stranger (a young, neatly dressed female, so I let my guard down) grabbed my arm as I was walking for exercise. She TOLD me that I needed to "be saved"  She does not know me AT ALL. I said,"Let go of my arm"  It's like they're on a mission and "mission" may be the actual word or maybe not, but gees.  Anyway, CCB seems like she has to convert the world to her way of thinking bc. well... she alone is right and all others who are sure in their (other)  faith - are going to hell.  It makes me angry and sad at the same time

• Love 4
1 hour ago, spiritof76 said:

MM pointing out that many "pro-lifers" are all about making sure innocent fetuses are born.  However, once these babies are born many pro-lifers wash their hands of them. "Yea they are born, our job is done here." They do not support the funding of children's healthcare, education, food stamps and housing.  It is the pro-choice/liberal politicians and organizations that actually support caring for the children and their families once they are born.  MM checkmated Candance of the hypocrisy of the majority of those in the "pro-life" movement. The look on her face read like it was the first time she had ever considered the "after care" of the saved babies.

• Love 16
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

Oh it was GLORIOUS! STUPENDOUS! AWESOMETACULAR! I was coming into wax rapturously over Moore's polite smackdown of Chipmunk! You could see her trying to interrupt, but not managing to say the words while Moore talked about Hillary's public service, which she's done practically her whole life. And then tried to insert "not all Christians" are bad, like, her. BULL.SHIT.

1 hour ago, backformore said:

And why does she want Hillary to SAY she's Christian? She's not running for a religious leadership position.  Christianity is one of the religions in America - it's not the only one, and it isn't innately superior to all others. 

This bugs me to no END. We are a country and nation of many religions/faiths/agnostics/atheists. And there's this thing called Separation of CHURCH and STATE. Chipmunk loves to talk about the Founding Fathers, but is so ingnoramic, and clearly didn't study, to not know that a few of them were atheists. I want to say Jefferson was one, but can't remember.

And she's such an ignorant, un-selfaware LIAR. She already asked Hillary about her faith when Hillary was on the show and Hillary answered her! So it's all bullshit that she says she doesn't know, or rather wants Hillary to "speak" her faith. Which, she doesn't fucking have to, since she fucking lives it.

I loved seeing Joy in the moderator's chair during Moore's interview.  And Jediblahlyingliarwholies can shut it, with her brown nosing and ass kissing of Moore, trying to tell him he's a Libertarian. So glad he shut her down about that as well.

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, movingtargetgal said:

MM pointing out that many "pro-lifers" are all about making sure innocent fetuses are born.  However, once these babies are born many pro-lifers wash their hands of them. "Yea they are born, our job is done here." They do not support the funding of children's healthcare, education, food stamps and housing.  It is the pro-choice/liberal politicians and organizations that actually support caring for the children and their families once they are born.  MM checkmated Candance of the hypocrisy of the majority of those in the "pro-life" movement. The look on her face read like it was the first time she had ever considered the "after care" of the saved babies.

Did he really say that today or was it part of his movie.  I don't remember him saying that???

• Love 3
3 hours ago, rcc said:

I didn't see it but I wonder if Paula, a big Cubs fan, were there and corrected her would Whoopi admit her mistake. lol

I tuned in for Michael Moore and that was a great exchange between Candace and Michael. What Michael says is so true, the more one brings up their religion, the more they are trying to prove something. Actions speak louder than words.

I missed what Sara said at the end. Does anyone remember what she said?

My bold.  They had been talking about Snapchat & Sara said Joy called it snatch chat.  LOL.

• Love 5

Coming after an election where a president had to walk the line between defending himself from accusations that he is Muslim, while at the same time not denouncing Muslims for their faith, it is time to get religion out of our elections.

Elected officials uphold the laws. The supreme Court ruled on women's reproductive rights. The personal beliefs of leaders is not relevant.  We don't change all the laws to coincide with the religious feelings of the president.  CCB says she looks at "values", but she defines values as "view on abortion."

• Love 18