Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions Thread

potatoradio
Message added by Lady Calypso

Let's bring the discussion back to Unpopular Opinions about the show.  

• Start Topic

On 2/21/2017 at 10:05 PM, DayGlorious said:

Sure, lots of others feel differently. But this is a thread for unpopular opinions. And mine is that I care more about other things. :)

Of course you are 100% correct.  Sometimes I forget into which thread I am posting.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, kieyra said:

I never watch any commercials or promos either, I just know blatant manipulation when I see it. :)

The overt manipulation, both on the show and in the promos/media appearances (like that note from Milo "excusing" viewers from school/work) not only doesn't work on me, but it also makes me wonder how confident the show runners are in their own storylines and characters/actors. Do they think the show wouldn't be compelling enough without the manipulation?

• Love 7

Do they think the show wouldn't be compelling enough without the manipulation?

I follow Milo on Twitter and he often promotes this show, as I'm sure many other actors do for their shows in their social media outlets. Their job, besides giving a compelling performance, is to sell the show. It must be working because the ratings for this show have climbed and the fans are fairly rabid. 

I don't feel manipulated and I also don't cry that frequently while watching this show. I simply just enjoy the show. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, chocolatine said:

The overt manipulation, both on the show and in the promos/media appearances (like that note from Milo "excusing" viewers from school/work) not only doesn't work on me, but it also makes me wonder how confident the show runners are in their own storylines and characters/actors. Do they think the show wouldn't be compelling enough without the manipulation?

Does any producer of any product ever think that?

I feel fortunate to have missed all this stuff.  The only promo I've ever seen is the trailer that went viral before the series started (to an insane degree on Facebook).

17 hours ago, Aloeonatable said:

I follow Milo on Twitter and he often promotes this show, as I'm sure many other actors do for their shows in their social media outlets. Their job, besides giving a compelling performance, is to sell the show. It must be working because the ratings for this show have climbed and the fans are fairly rabid. 

I don't feel manipulated and I also don't cry that frequently while watching this show. I simply just enjoy the show. 

I see show promotion all the time that isn't incredibly annoying and obnoxious. But that brings me to my next unpopular opinion.....the ratings. Even the promotion of the ratings bugs.....this must be the first show in the history of shows to do good.

But yeah, the ratings have been consistent. That's why I thought this was an appropriate place to put these opinions.

On 2/23/2017 at 9:38 AM, ShadowFacts said:

Possible unpopular opinion:  the scales have been tipped so much in favor of Randall's story (and I like his whole backstory and current story) that Kevin's and Kate's are insipid.  It has been a popular opinion that Kate has to be about more than weight, but I find Kevin equally lacking in dimension.  Maybe the writing can remedy this going forward, I'll have to give it a little time. 

I feel like you can usually tell when there is more investment in a character and/or actor on some shows. This is one of them, I think. I know Fogelman said all the storylines would be getting equal time, but it doesn't feel like it, and there is also a noticeable difference in the quality of the time dedicated to the characters. Their ranking seems to be, when it comes to the three kids is 1.)Randall 2.)Kate 3.)Kevin. I swear it's like I can hear them saying.....need something for Kevin to do this week......let's twist it up this week with an ex-wife and call it a day.

I have always wondered why sometimes shows even bother with certain characters or storylines that they seem to not be all that invested in themselves?? That happens a lot on soaps and I just find it odd.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

For me it's Debra Winger's scene with her son in Terms of EndearmentAnd Robert Munsch's Love You Forever.  If you are familiar with both works, you will sense a theme.

I bought this book when my son was a toddler (he is now 20).  I have read it to him exactly one time, and I have never managed to read it to my daughter who came along 4 years later.  I can't get through it without the tears.

I just watched the Thanksgiving episode.  I still find Jack's character to be too much the "fun" dad, as in he wants to infuse every single day with meaning and intensity.  I don't think that's realistic.  Yes, I wanted to be the same kind of mom, but on most days you're just plain tired and it's impossible to bring that kind of intensity to every day.

I also had a huge problem with Randall bringing his sick father on that present-day hike.  I mean, come on.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

For me it's Debra Winger's scene with her son in Terms of Endearment.  And Robert Munsch's Love You Forever.  If you are familiar with both works, you will sense a theme.

The Robert Munsch book gets to me.  There's a very sad story on why the book was written (his stillborn children), but I did not learn of this until I was an adult.  And then there are the Pixar movies.  Can't get through "When She Loved Me" without crying (I kept on thinking, why did she just throw Jessie out like that?  At least pack her up!!!  She could be worth a lot some day (which is why I've kept my Cabbage Patch Kids)), the opening sequence in UP!, the part in WALL-E when he's basically reset to factory settings (a reminder to all to BACK UP YOUR DEVICES!!!  Especially your phone when you get a new one...I've seen FB posts from friends requesting contact info because...er....nothing was backed up) and pretty much cried throughout Toy Story 3.  /rant

I just watched the Thanksgiving episode.  I still find Jack's character to be too much the "fun" dad, as in he wants to infuse every single day with meaning and intensity.  I don't think that's realistic.  Yes, I wanted to be the same kind of mom, but on most days you're just plain tired and it's impossible to bring that kind of intensity to every day.

I also had a huge problem with Randall bringing his sick father on that present-day hike.  I mean, come on.

Jack cheering his family up on Thanksgiving does not mean that he acts like this every day. This was an unusual holiday that he tried to make special. We don't see this family doing the ordinary things because that would be tediously boring. As for Randall taking William on a trip to Memphis, wasn't it William's idea? He was dying and wanted to make amends to his cousin as well as show Randall where he came from. It was beautiful.

Edited by Aloeonatable
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Aloeonatable said:

As for Randall taking William on a trip to Memphis, wasn't it William's idea? He was dying and wanted to make amends to his cousin as well as show Randall where he came from. It was beautiful.

I think the other poster was talking about the several miles long Thanksgiving hike. That's a Pearson family tradition.  Olivia asked if she had to go, and was told yes.  I assume if William had said he didn't want to go, that would have been fine.  But, Randall was pretty gung-ho and he probably would have felt awkward not going.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, HeyThere83 said:

I feel like you can usually tell when there is more investment in a character and/or actor on some shows. This is one of them, I think. I know Fogelman said all the storylines would be getting equal time, but it doesn't feel like it, and there is also a noticeable difference in the quality of the time dedicated to the characters. Their ranking seems to be, when it comes to the three kids is 1.)Randall 2.)Kate 3.)Kevin. I swear it's like I can hear them saying.....need something for Kevin to do this week......let's twist it up this week with an ex-wife and call it a day.

I have always wondered why sometimes shows even bother with certain characters or storylines that they seem to not be all that invested in themselves?? That happens a lot on soaps and I just find it odd.

I think we will see more of each character's story as the seasons march on.  Everyone cannot have a compelling story at the same time.  Randall will probably take a back seat next season or not be so heavily involved with drama directly related to him.  

I am looking forward to the Miguel and Rebecca story.  How many more episodes are there?   I think Jack will die in the last episode.  Not a cliffhanger but we will see exactly how it happened and the funeral.  That leaves us looking forward to the aftermath and how it changes their lives.  That will be a good start for season 2.  

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I'm not sure the Unpopular Opinions thread is the best place to challenge others' adverse opinions of the show.  We post them here because they are admittedly unpopular.   As in, "I read the 8-page ep thread and I see that most didn't feel this way but I did so I'll post it here so as not to upset those who don't share my opinion, because that'll just bring on a rain of dissenting posts."  Or maybe it's just me who thought that's why these UO threads exist.

Amen!

I am scared to post my opinions in episode threads sometimes, it seems like a lot of folks practically worship this show. I don't want to be a spoil-sport for them.

• Love 8
40 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Amen!

I am scared to post my opinions in episode threads sometimes, it seems like a lot of folks practically worship this show. I don't want to be a spoil-sport for them.

Exactly. I felt like a heartless Scrooge in the face of all the weeping and teeth gnashing and pajama ruining snot in the episode thread. I LIKE this show, but I need a place to vent when my eyes are rolling out of my head. And I get that we 'naysayers' can be annoying in the main threads, I'd feel the same way if somebody came and 'meh'd all over a show I loved to the point of delirium (and there are a few, tho most of them are gone now), so it's nice to be able to come here and meh when necessary.

• Love 7

I actually find Kevin's storyline compelling and he is probably my favorite character. In a way I think Kevin has the harder story to sell since he isn't an "underdog" like Randall or Kate. I find his self-doubt and uncertainty believable and relatable. I feel like he is better balanced then either Saintly Randall or Jack.  I think Justin is doing a real good job of bringing out in equal measures of the best and worst of the character and I think he is pretty underated for his contribution so far. 

Also, while I do like Randall and Sterling fine, I wouldn't be interested in watching a show centered around just him. I liked parts of his story, mostly those with William's great actor in it, but I don't really see him as that much more compelling then any other character.

• Love 12
7 hours ago, wings707 said:

I think we will see more of each character's story as the seasons march on.  Everyone cannot have a compelling story at the same time.  Randall will probably take a back seat next season or not be so heavily involved with drama directly related to him.  

I am looking forward to the Miguel and Rebecca story.  How many more episodes are there?   I think Jack will die in the last episode.  Not a cliffhanger but we will see exactly how it happened and the funeral.  That leaves us looking forward to the aftermath and how it changes their lives.  That will be a good start for season 2.  

Just curious....why do you think everyone can't have a compelling story at the same time? That is the least any drama should do, especially one nominated for a Golden Globe.

Also, why would Randall take a back seat if the show is an ensemble and Fogelman said everyone would get equal time?

Agree that will be what Season 2 will focus on.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, HeyThere83 said:

Just curious....why do you think everyone can't have a compelling story at the same time? That is the least any drama should do, especially one nominated for a Golden Globe.

Also, why would Randall take a back seat if the show is an ensemble and Fogelman said everyone would get equal time?

Agree that will be what Season 2 will focus on.

As group all of their stories are compelling.  Probably better stated I think they feature a particular story line more predominantly at times than others, ie, William's death.  

I think you may be taking my words too literally.  Randall got to shine recently and I think they will give others that opportunity with a heavier focus on their life.  I am saying I think they will balance each characters exposure in the plot line. 

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, wings707 said:

As group all of their stories are compelling.  Probably better stated I think they feature a particular story line more predominantly at times than others, ie, William's death.  

I think you may be taking my words too literally.  Randall got to shine recently and I think they will give others that opportunity with a heavier focus on their life.  I am saying I think they will balance each characters exposure in the plot line. 

Perhaps.

Though I can't see them taking any shine off Randall. He and the actor have been too well received, and the writers seem to love writing his story. If this does not happen, I just can't think of a single reason why they then can't simultaneously write for the others with a strong focus. They could have already done that this season by simply eliminating, for instance, the whole Olivia arc which took up much of Kevin's time. If the showrunner claims that was essential to the story, I think it went completely over most viewers' heads. Waste of time.

• Love 2
On 2/24/2017 at 8:00 PM, HeyThere83 said:

Perhaps.

Though I can't see them taking any shine off Randall. He and the actor have been too well received, and the writers seem to love writing his story. If this does not happen, I just can't think of a single reason why they then can't simultaneously write for the others with a strong focus. They could have already done that this season by simply eliminating, for instance, the whole Olivia arc which took up much of Kevin's time. If the showrunner claims that was essential to the story, I think it went completely over most viewers' heads. Waste of time.

I didn't say the shine would be taken off Randall.  No shine removed from anyone!  Just saying other plot lines will be given more attention next season.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, HeyThere83 said:

Though I can't see them taking any shine off Randall. He and the actor have been too well received, and the writers seem to love writing his story.

I fear this will take the West Wing route, which was the best show ever until Aaron Sorkin left and the other writers decided multi-Emmy winner Allison Janney needed to become the star.  Suddenly, she was inserted into every story line and her character jumped from press secretary to chief of staff.  I still shake my head and fear whenever one actor in an ensemble starts getting all the accolades.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I fear this will take the West Wing route, which was the best show ever until Aaron Sorkin left and the other writers decided multi-Emmy winner Allison Janney needed to become the star.  Suddenly, she was inserted into every story line and her character jumped from press secretary to chief of staff.  I still shake my head and fear whenever one actor in an ensemble starts getting all the accolades.

I think some actors are better suited for certain storylines, or at driving storylines. But sometimes writers can get overexcited and stuff stops making sense and quality goes out the window as a result.

• Love 1
On 2/22/2017 at 2:44 PM, CleoCaesar said:

That's the exact thing happening on This Is Us boards (not just this one) - people writing about how they're preparing to cry, people writing about how they're crying, people writing how much they cried. Oh my god, we get it.

There's nothing inherently wrong about crying over a TV show, but the almost bragging (?) about it week after week starts to seem a little bit...off.

Thank you so much for writing this - I was afraid to! After reading 7 pages of graphic crying descriptions on the episode page, I unpopularly wanted to scream. 

On 2/23/2017 at 3:44 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

For me it's Debra Winger's scene with her son in Terms of Endearment.  And Robert Munsch's Love You Forever.  If you are familiar with both works, you will sense a theme.

I have never once been able to read Love You Forever to my kids, and as indicated above, I am made of stone........

Edited by MaryPatShelby
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, Katy M said:

I think the other poster was talking about the several miles long Thanksgiving hike. That's a Pearson family tradition.  Olivia asked if she had to go, and was told yes.  I assume if William had said he didn't want to go, that would have been fine.  But, Randall was pretty gung-ho and he probably would have felt awkward not going.

You're right. My apologies.

21 HOURS AGO,  ALOEONATABLE SAID: 

Jack cheering his family up on Thanksgiving does not mean that he acts like this every day. This was an unusual holiday that he tried to make special. We don't see this family doing the ordinary things because that would be tediously boring. As for Randall taking William on a trip to Memphis, wasn't it William's idea? He was dying and wanted to make amends to his cousin as well as show Randall where he came from. It was beautiful.

I'm not sure the Unpopular Opinions thread is the best place to challenge others' adverse opinions of the show.  We post them here because they are admittedly unpopular.   As in, "I read the 8-page ep thread and I see that most didn't feel this way but I did so I'll post it here so as not to upset those who don't share my opinion, because that'll just bring on a rain of dissenting posts."  Or maybe it's just me who thought that's why these UO threads exist.  

I apologize if I seemed to be challenging someone's UO. That was not my intent. I will try to be more cognizant of that in the future.

Edited by Aloeonatable
59 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Ha!  I refused to read Love You Forever because the illustrations are creepy to me.  The baby playing next to an open toilet on the cover, and the elderly mother cradling a sleeping, middle-aged man in her lap, with a ladder at the window showing she snuck in at night ... gah.   So weird.  

They are kind of weird (slightly amateurish) illustrations...but I like the sentiment.

On February 23, 2017 at 6:46 PM, kieyra said:

I never watch any commercials or promos either, I just know blatant manipulation when I see it. :)

(You could argue that the whole point of fiction is to make you feel stuff, it's just so ... clockwork on this show.)

I have to agree with this.  I watch The Expanse and on Wednesday's episode something happened that moved me; it moved me more than anything on This is Us.  Why?  Because on The Expanse it was unexpected, I haven't read the books so I didn't know what would happen so the scene was just moving to me without the show telling me that I should be moved.

I remember in 2001 (because I was on vacation when this episode aired) there either an article or a commercial for an episode of The West Wing that said something like, "whatever you do, don't miss the last five minutes of this show."  What happened was a character died, and it was a shock, but it might have worked better if I hadn't been told to not miss the last five minutes. 

• Love 3

I didn't shed one tear. I saw it all coming a mile away.  I was bored and frankly annoyed at the overly dramatic manipulation.  I have a big heart. I work in dog rescue, have for years.  I have cuddled abandoned dogs in my bed, under the covers and felt them settle down and relax into the relief of finally finding love and safety.  I feel things!  LOL  

I know grief.  I think it is better served with a lighter touch to give you room to feel.  

• Love 7

I dont have a problem with the show itself (trying to) emotionally manipulate the audiance nor NBC's promo monkeys hyping it all.

But things like Sterling crying on Facebook live and especially Milo's note excusing people from work the next day, make me roll my eyes and frankly dislike the actors.

• Love 12
19 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Being sad isn't the weird thing.  Posting yourself crying on Facebook is.  

That's the thing with social media, for good and for ill, it's all me me me look what I'm doing, where I am, who I'm with, what I'm eating.  It can certainly result in oversharing. 

• Love 4
On 2/23/2017 at 0:11 AM, potatoradio said:

I hate crying at movies or in theatres because I like to be alone when I cry. Dislike crying in front of other people with a passion. The one show that I couldn't help myself was the Fun Home musical. Oh good lord, both my wife and I were sniffling, red-eyed wrecks. This show? I watch alone. I watch with wine. I watch while PMS-ing. I watch when doped on cold medicine. I watch when I've had a bad day and am just PRIMED for waterworks. Nary a tear or lump in the throat.

Like others have said, don't tell me to cry, show. I get a show promoting itself as dramatic and I could probably stomach  descriptions like "heartwrenching" or "emotional." But telling me that I should expect to ugly cry and be destroyed because this is the cryfest of a lifetime? And then expecting me to watch the circle jerk afterward about how amazingly, bigly awesome everyone is and that they should just get their Emmy right that minute? Ah....hard pass. 

I didn't even know this thread was here and just pretty much said what has been said here in the "omg I just bawled my eyes out and will never be the same" thread. Wondering if I should erase it  I didn't know I had peeps!

But!  Fun Home!  I took a trip to Manhattan and saw that this past summer. And yes!  Tears!  But the silent kind- the this is so well acted and written kind.  Funny I thought of Kevin and the Circle in the Square theatre when he bailed in the oh so dramatic This is Us method.  

Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Tiger said:

I dont have a problem with the show itself (trying to) emotionally manipulate the audiance nor NBC's promo monkeys hyping it all.

But things like Sterling crying on Facebook live and especially Milo's note excusing people from work the next day, make me roll my eyes and frankly dislike the actors.

I'm glad I didn't see any that.  I confess I didn't even think William was going to die until Randall found him in bed.

On 2/25/2017 at 5:38 PM, Neurochick said:

I have to agree with this.  I watch The Expanse and on Wednesday's episode something happened that moved me; it moved me more than anything on This is Us.  Why?  Because on The Expanse it was unexpected, I haven't read the books so I didn't know what would happen so the scene was just moving to me without the show telling me that I should be moved.

I literally cannot discuss This is Us anywhere but here and I'm not sure why that is.  Other tv shows - people like them, don't like them, no big deal.  But this show?  There seems to be a mob mentality attached to it, so if you go against the very vocal (and crying) majority, you risk being called things like "heartless."  So I just don't talk about it anymore.

I do play a little game while watching, though...when there is a dramatic pause, or the music starts swelling, I try to guess what's going to happen next.  I'm not always right, but many times, I am.  And that's my biggest issue with the show, as stated above - it's telling us how to feel, and apparently we're supposed to feel a lot, and all of the time.  I keep watching because I can't help wondering if I'm eventually going to get sucked in, but after 12 episodes, I still find most of the characters to be very "cardboard."  I can't say I'm invested in any of the stories, because I'm always aware that the end result is to get me to cry.  That's not really story-telling, IMO.

On 2/26/2017 at 1:56 AM, wings707 said:

I know grief.  I think it is better served with a lighter touch to give you room to feel.  

Perfectly stated.

• Love 10
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 8:13 AM, Tiger said:

I just look at it all as marketing.  And as with most marketing I ignore it.  I don't really pay attention to any celeb social media.  I rarely watch any of the talk shows, but we all have those blah days.  When I watch TV I read during commercials.  Except for Geico commercials.  You gotta love Geico commercials.  I almost want to switch insurance just to make sure they continue their commercials.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I literally cannot discuss This is Us anywhere but here and I'm not sure why that is.  Other tv shows - people like them, don't like them, no big deal.  But this show?  There seems to be a mob mentality attached to it, so if you go against the very vocal (and crying) majority, you risk being called things like "heartless."

Do you mean on the rest of the TiU board here, outside this thread, or on other sites?  Because I don't remember anyone calling anyone "heartless" here, and I'm pretty sure they'd get in trouble if they did.

13 minutes ago, SlackerInc said:

Do you mean on the rest of the TiU board here, outside this thread, or on other sites?  Because I don't remember anyone calling anyone "heartless" here, and I'm pretty sure they'd get in trouble if they did.

Sorry, I meant in real life.  I have unintentionally ticked off friends of mine who are among the group that needs a box of Kleenex for each episode, and then immediately gets on Facebook to discuss how they ugly-cried.  That's why I don't talk about it except on this thread, because I don't mean to wound my friends with my opinion of this show.

That's actually what I find so interesting, and it's why I keep watching - it's the mass adoration of This is Us.  I myself am an unabashed Survivor geek, and have seen every single episode.  I sometimes get the side-eye when I profess my love of that show, but it doesn't turn into any kind of verbal exchange.  If you don't like Survivor, that's perfectly okay with me, and it isn't going to diminish my love of the show.  With This is Us, I honestly feel like I can't talk about it with people who love the show, and that's weird to me.

• Love 6

I find it amusing that so many people are into the "feels" of this show. Most of the people that I discuss this show with do enjoy it, but I do have some friends that find it manipulative and saccharine. I enjoy it, like the acting and I find the structure of the show to be interesting. I like that it is a family drama, different than courtroom dramas, police and medical procedurals, and fantasy. 

Never watch reality shows, like Survivor, but I do have friends that reality shows are all they watch. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Sorry, I meant in real life.  I have unintentionally ticked off friends of mine who are among the group that needs a box of Kleenex for each episode, and then immediately gets on Facebook to discuss how they ugly-cried.  That's why I don't talk about it except on this thread, because I don't mean to wound my friends with my opinion of this show.

That's actually what I find so interesting, and it's why I keep watching - it's the mass adoration of This is Us.  I myself am an unabashed Survivor geek, and have seen every single episode.  I sometimes get the side-eye when I profess my love of that show, but it doesn't turn into any kind of verbal exchange.  If you don't like Survivor, that's perfectly okay with me, and it isn't going to diminish my love of the show.  With This is Us, I honestly feel like I can't talk about it with people who love the show, and that's weird to me.

I think I'm one step weirder, I can't even *watch* the show at this point. I read the ep thread to figure out what OMGTWISTS happened and then I come hang out here. The show itself just moves too slowly and too predictably for me to sit through--although I will admit I'm surprised they let William die this soon, so I won't pretend it's 100% predictable. 

(I was also surprised (and pleased) they let Horse Dick just be a dick, and not a misunderstood truth-teller.)

But yeah, I'm on a non-tv forum that has a TiU thread, and no way would I try posting there. It's mostly (last time I looked) people who can't believe how much Rebecca does not deserve a man like Saint Jack.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 6

I am not being critical or judgmental at all, but I am wondering what the people who think William's death was handled manipulatively and was predictable would say was an unpredictable and non-manipulative way?  They set it up from the get go that he was terminal, Stage 4, so it was of course predictable in that sense.  What would be a fresh way of doing it? 

• Love 7
12 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

I am not being critical or judgmental at all, but I am wondering what the people who think William's death was handled manipulatively and was predictable would say was an unpredictable and non-manipulative way?  They set it up from the get go that he was terminal, Stage 4, so it was of course predictable in that sense.  What would be a fresh way of doing it? 

I'm perfectly fine with the actual storyline--the trip to Memphis, reconnecting with his music and family, dying there. We all knew he was dying, no surprise, that wasn't the manipulative thing. It's the heavy handed details that grate on me. I've already said this more than once, but the thing that completely took me out of the episode was when they flashed to Jack calming little Randall down by putting both hands on his face and telling him to breathe. It was so predictably clear that that was how William would die...with Randall putting his hands on his face and telling him to breathe. My bf came home halfway into the show and I told him 'okay, the old man's going to die  and here's what's going to happen, exactly' and when it DID happen exactly that way, he looked at me like I was a spooky oracle, having missed that first scene with Jack and Randall. 'nope', I told him, 'if you'd seen it, you'd have known exactly how it was going to happen too'. And then I told him 'also, there will be ducks', tho I really hoped there would NOT be ducks, but of course, there were ducks.

I get that a lot of people take comfort in the predictable and the sentimental and that those callbacks were meaningful and emotional for them, but those are the things that make me roll my eyes until I get a headache. These are just examples from this one episode but EVERY SINGLE episode is full of them. I continue to like this show, but those things remove me enough that I cannot love it.

• Love 8

Thanks, Winston9-DT3 and luna1122.  So I think you're saying to make it non-predictable or fresh they should have made it grittier, and left out some details.  That makes sense.  I don't think they would go the agonizing route with the actual death scene, it's just not that kind of show, but it was sanitized to be sure.  It would have been more realistic but not as dramatic to have Randall find him having died overnight in the hotel.   I understand why they put in the ducks, because that sort of thing is experienced by lots of people.  The breathing lesson theme was because they wanted to go all circle of life, but I agree in totality it was maybe a bit too much -- they might have gone with the ducks or the breathing, but not both. 

Sorry if I'm milking this stuff, but there's not a new episode this week. . .

• Love 2
2 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I've already said this more than once, but the thing that completely took me out of the episode was when they flashed to Jack calming little Randall down by putting both hands on his face and telling him to breathe. It was so predictably clear that that was how William would die...with Randall putting his hands on his face and telling him to breathe. My bf came home halfway into the show and I told him 'okay, the old man's going to die  and here's what's going to happen, exactly' and when it DID happen exactly that way, he looked at me like I was a spooky oracle, having missed that first scene with Jack and Randall. 'nope', I told him, 'if you'd seen it, you'd have known exactly how it was going to happen too'.

Because you know him and the way he thinks?  Or just that anyone should have known if they saw that earlier scene?  Because I did see the earlier scene, and I didn't see that coming.  I didn't even think William was going to die in that episode.  I feel like I'm admitting to being dense, so my pride/defensiveness insists that I mention that I do actually belong to a very high IQ society.  :P

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, SlackerInc said:

Because you know him and the way he thinks?  Or just that anyone should have known if they saw that earlier scene?  Because I did see the earlier scene, and I didn't see that coming.  I didn't even think William was going to die in that episode.  I feel like I'm admitting to being dense, so my pride/defensiveness insists that I mention that I do actually belong to a very high IQ society.  :P

I felt that it was just that obvious, yes, that anyone would have seen it coming. But maybe I'm just LOOKING for stuff like this, cuz i'm overly critical. It's possible.

• Love 4
On 2/25/2017 at 2:44 PM, Winston9-DT3 said:

Ha!  I refused to read Love You Forever because the illustrations are creepy to me.  The baby playing next to an open toilet on the cover, and the elderly mother cradling a sleeping, middle-aged man in her lap, with a ladder at the window showing she snuck in at night ... gah.   So weird.  

Haha same here. I don't really get the weird love people have for that book (and no I'm not a parent). That illustration of the mother breaking into her adult son's house to cradle him are creepy as all get out. I understand the sentiment (they're always your baby regardless of how old they get) but geez. Actually illustrating that sentiment literally makes for just a pretty disturbing image.

On 2/26/2017 at 8:13 AM, Tiger said:

Ugh they actually did that? That's just gross. I am so over the "I AM CRYING SO HARD GUYS CAN YOU SEE HOW HARD I'M CRYING" circlejerk.

This thread, you are my people.

Edited by CleoCaesar
  • Love 10
9 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I felt that it was just that obvious, yes, that anyone would have seen it coming. But maybe I'm just LOOKING for stuff like this, cuz i'm overly critical. It's possible.

Speaking only for myself, I've watched a lot of television and I know the "predictable" story beats in my bones, and I know when they're going to call back to something schmoopy (as you mention). 

My favorite shows are the ones who zig when I think they're going to zag, while still working within the confines of traditional storytelling and staying true to character and story logic.

TiU just aims itself for the "zag" lane at max speed.

• Love 5
(edited)

I may need to skip Episode 15, as I think it's the episode when William dies.  Since this show likes to tackle any and every single issue known to mankind, it's bound to hit on one that is a little too close to home, and I don't want to give this show the power to get me to feel the feels that I have already felt in real life...if that makes a lick of sense.

That said, I am finding the Kate and Toby romance lacking in passion.  IMO, there is zero chemistry between them.  Kate has apologized to Toby a couple of times, but the way she says "I'm sorry" to him when they disagree is so snippy (kind of like how my teenager daughter apologizes to me).  I have a hard time believing that they actually want to marry each other.  I don't buy this relationship at all, so I get kind of annoyed whenever Toby pops in unannounced on Kate, Kate gets mad, Toby gets hurt, lather rinse repeat.  Is there any substance to them?

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

That said, I am finding the Kate and Toby romance lacking in passion.  IMO, there is zero chemistry between them.  Kate has apologized to Toby a couple of times, but the way she says "I'm sorry" to him when they disagree is so snippy (kind of like how my teenager daughter apologizes to me).  I have a hard time believing that they actually want to marry each other.  I don't buy this relationship at all, so I get kind of annoyed whenever Toby pops in unannounced on Kate, Kate gets mad, Toby gets hurt, lather rinse repeat.  Is there any substance to them?

Early on, I found them quite enjoyable. Toby made Kate laugh about things she normally would brood or stress about. He seemed to bring joy into a life that was sorely lacking it. I'm not sure what Kate gave to Toby except companionship and her willing body. Friendship, I guess. The two of them seemed like good friends.

But I agree with you that I'm to getting a "head over heels in love, we should get married" vibe from them. Maybe it's because they've both been heartbroken in the past and are more practical about relationships now. Maybe they'll break up (I don't read spoilers, so I have no idea). But why can't they just be friends with benefits? And maybe they'd fall head over heels in love eventually. 

15 hours ago, kieyra said:

Speaking only for myself, I've watched a lot of television and I know the "predictable" story beats in my bones, and I know when they're going to call back to something schmoopy (as you mention). 

My favorite shows are the ones who zig when I think they're going to zag, while still working within the confines of traditional storytelling and staying true to character and story logic.

TiU just aims itself for the "zag" lane at max speed.

But This Is Us markets itself as a schmoopy and emotional family drama. I think that's one of the reasons its so popular--many people want to watch that on Tuesday nights. I'm not attacking your opinion. Just wanted to point out that I'm pretty sure the show doesn't mind being predictable--except for whatever Big Twist gets thrown in for that episode. 

So I'm not going to fault the show for being formulaic, though I definitely agree with you that shows with some amount of suspense or unexpected conflict are more enjoyable, IMHO.

I still love most things about the show, especially Randall as a character, Beth and Randall's marriage, and the sibling relationship among The Big 3. I like Kevin and Kate as characters, though the writing for them isn't nearly as complex or compelling as it is for Randall. 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, topanga said:

But This Is Us markets itself as a schmoopy and emotional family drama. I think that's one of the reasons its so popular--many people want to watch that on Tuesday nights. I'm not attacking your opinion. Just wanted to point out that I'm pretty sure the show doesn't mind being predictable--except for whatever Big Twist gets thrown in for that episode. 

It does, and it is, you're right. I don't think anyone is arguing that. I suppose, then, in theory, that those of us for whom that kind of stuff--the overtly emotional, schmoopy, predictable--- is anathema just shouldn't watch the show. But I like the actors. I like Ken Olin. I like the show, often. Which just makes me wish that it could be...BETTER, less predictable and schmoopy. A balance of heart and art, instead of just mostly heart. But that's an subjective opinion, obviously, and I imagine the folks who eat this stuff up wouldn't want it to change a bit. So...that's why this thread. A place to eye roll and vent for those of us who feel a little differently.

• Love 6