Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions Thread

potatoradio
Message added by Lady Calypso

Let's bring the discussion back to Unpopular Opinions about the show.  

• Start Topic

I agree: I feel sure they just changed their mind on the fly with Olivia.  When she was over at Thanksgiving, there's no way they had Sophie in mind then.

14 hours ago, DearEvette said:

IIRC, At the time, she (and I think quite a few of us on this board) thought he was just a con man.

There were indeed a lot of people saying that.  And if you go back and look at those early threads, I was protesting that strenuously, saying I thought it was "gross" that people said that.

14 hours ago, topanga said:

Bigger question: should networks still develop 22-24 episode seasons, or is this becoming a dated formula?

In theory, there shouldn't be a problem especially if (like 24, at least in its first few seasons when I watched) you are really just doing two shorter story arcs anyway.  But what insiders report in interviews and articles is that the production staff just can't maintain a quality level over that many episodes, because they simply don't have time.  So I'd rather see shorter seasons become the norm.  I'm surprised though that we don't see people experimenting with, say, 16 or 17 episodes.  Why does it have to be more than 20 or fewer than 13?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SlackerInc said:

I agree: I feel sure they just changed their mind on the fly with Olivia.  When she was over at Thanksgiving, there's no way they had Sophie in mind then.

I think the whole season was planned right from the start. I think the creator had the Sophie storyline planned.

• Love 4

In the first episode, Kevin was with two girls in his hotel room. He moves to New York and almost immediately has sex with Olivia.  Olivia leaves and ten minutes later, he's in bed with Sloane.  We've also seen that he as a kid, he felt left out by his parents.  If Kevin were a girl, we would be saying he was trying to get the love he wasn't getting from his parents from sex.  I don't know why we can't say it for a guy.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, HeyThere83 said:

See, I was thinking the show speeds through things incredibly fast, and leaves the bulk or meat of a story completely out. And then they seem to spend time on other things like the Dr.'s story when the series is brand spankin new. 

I feel the same thing. Some potentially interesting stories or relations (Kate/Kevin, Randal/Beth, Rebecca and any of her children) are left hanging when I want more, and instead we get horse dude, Toby and Sanjay. Now, I've warmed up to Sanjay (which means we may never see him again), but horse dude seems just a tool to get Kate out of the camp, because apparently the only purpose of the camp was that "breakthrough" she had while drumming? That seems thin to me. That camp was the most interesting thing for the Kate character since many, many episodes. At this stage, I also view Toby as a prop (and an annoying one at that) to get Kate to express herself. And why Sophie? Or at the very least why Sophie as a way to get to know Kevin? I'd rather discover more about the main characters via their interactions with each other than having each of them in a separate story, which is mostly how it feels now. 

It's very bizarre, some of the writing hits the emotional spot, but a lot seems to just flounder. It's not tight enough, and not consistent. It's still good but it could have been great.  

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I wonder if part of it with them showing the siblings' separate lives moreso than them together is them trying to be more realistic?  I only watched the first couple seasons of Brothers and Sisters but it seems like I recall balking at how much sheer time those siblings spent together as adults.  

I see my sister once or twice a year, so I do find it odd that adult siblings on TV seem to hang out almost every day.  OTOH, I don't necessarily want TV to mirror real life.  I would like more sib interaction on the show.  Especially Kate and Randall.  I think the only solo exchange we've seen of them is when teen Kate gives teen Randall some bad advice to go joke around with Kevin. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I was one of the people who suspected William might be a con man but I also thought Beth was rude to him.  Which sounds odd, but my point is I feel like she should've brought her concerns to Randall, not tried to shoo William out behind his back.

But Beth did ask Randall how long William would be staying with them. 

Her conversation with William might've happened first, but when she did approach William, she said that Randall can become blinded (literally and figuratively) either when he tries to do too much or when he tries to help people (I forget her exact wording). She went to William herself to find out if he was conning Randall because she knew Randall would not, even if she suggested it. She probably felt this way about Kevin, too. Kevin showed up uninvited and just stayed. And stayed. Randall might've told Beth in private that he had no idea how long Kevin was going to stay but didn't feel comfortable asking him about it. 

It's becoming an unpopular opinion that I don't find Beth bossy or domineering. She takes care of her family and can become a Mama Bear when it comes to protecting Randall and her kids. Beth and Randall are snarky and sarcastic with one another--Beth isn't rude to him. But she also goes along with Randall's wild plans, usually without question. Since day one, she's been helping William with his daily needs while Randall is at work. She never asked Randall to possibly scale back their elaborate Thanksgiving. In fact, she was in the kitchen doing at least as much cooking as Randall did, even though I'm sure she had family traditions of her own that she would've liked to incorporate. And this is a small thing, but Randall tossed an iPod shuffle to her and walked out the door, telling her to put William's music on it. That isn't an instant process. She would have had to download all of his music onto the iPod, assuming it was digital already. 

No Beth isn't perfect. I thought her reaction on the rooftop was a little inappropriate. But it's obvious that she and Randall love and support one another. I don't find anything bossy or domineering about her relationship with Randall or other people. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 13
18 minutes ago, topanga said:

No Beth isn't perfect. I thought her reaction on the rooftop was a little inappropriate. But it's obvious that she and Randall love and support one another. I don't find anything bossy or domineering about her relationship with Randall or other people. 

I agree with the love part, but so far the support has been mostly one sided. I'm not sure if it is because of current events or because Randall is the special snowflake/fragile flower in that couple. Based on how protective Beth seems to be of him, I suspect it's the latter.  

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Yes, but I figured the New York stage world is a whole other thing.  And a much smaller thing.  And where he used to make millions now he's footing the bill, and this is probably his last option.  

I just think it was set up to make the stakes higher for him, and to make him look more impulsive and dying to be taken seriously.  Do you feel like it was set up so we could watch him lose it all or get his comeuppance for quitting a job so dramatically?  I feel like we're supposed to be pulling for these people, and sympathetic to Kevin's Manny issues.  I kind of wish more actors would walk out when the scripts suck.  Maybe tv writing wouldn't suck so often.  

I do think we're supposed to be pulling for him.  I do think we were supposed to feel some empathy for his Manny situation (and honestly I kind of did. That was a sucky script, but on the other hand, I doubt it's much worse than when he started).  But, even though the money is less, he had enough saved up to self-produce and to stay indefinitely in a hotel suite.  He's not hurting for money.  He wants to do theater because he thinks it's more important, or real, or whatever.  So, I don't know what the writers want.   That's why I'm really interested in seeing the repercussions to his latest walkout.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

(Moved from the Memphis thread)

Yes, but I figured the New York stage world is a whole other thing.  And a much smaller thing.  And where he used to make millions now he's footing the bill, and this is probably his last option.  

I just think it was set up to make the stakes higher for him, and to make him look more impulsive and dying to be taken seriously.  Do you feel like it was set up so we could watch him lose it all or get his comeuppance for quitting a job so dramatically?  I feel like we're supposed to be pulling for these people, and sympathetic to Kevin's Manny issues.  I kind of wish more actors would walk out when the scripts suck.  Maybe tv writing wouldn't suck so often.  

I took his move as him being at a crossroads, the same way Kate was with her weight and Randall was with his looking for his biological father.  They were all doing things on the occasion of their 36th birthday, the same age their father was when they were born. 

• Love 7
On 2/18/2017 at 10:23 PM, ClareWalks said:

My UO is that I do not care when Jack died. I think it is so obvious he died when these kids are 15 (which is also an UO, apparently!), but I almost could not care *less* when Jack died. Maybe how, if it was Significant (note the capital S), which apparently the writers want me to think it is Significant with a capital S because they are sure dragging out this death reveal until I am long past giving a crap about it.

Mine is that not only do I not care when he died, but i don't care how, either. Suicide, homicide, car wreck, cancer, OD, sudden death in his sleep, job site accident...does any of it really change the level of trauma the kids feel, or the amount of awful whining we are going to hear from Rebecca? I care more about the 15-20 intervening years between then and now. About how Randall picked his career and met Beth, about how Kate went from a slightly chubby to huge, about why Kevin and Sophie got hitched so early and why she couldn't be a nurse in LA.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, DayGlorious said:

Mine is that not only do I not care when he died, but i don't care how, either. Suicide, homicide, car wreck, cancer, OD, sudden death in his sleep, job site accident...does any of it really change the level of trauma the kids feel, or the amount of awful whining we are going to hear from Rebecca? I care more about the 15-20 intervening years between then and now. About how Randall picked his career and met Beth, about how Kate went from a slightly chubby to huge, about why Kevin and Sophie got hitched so early and why she couldn't be a nurse in LA.

No, it may not change how the kids feel (although I personally would be way more traumatised if my dad had died from suicide vs. cancer but of course YMMV) , but a lot of viewers are drawn to Jack and also care when and how he died.  I think there is a lot of interest in the multigenerational family and their interrelationships.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Yeah, I think the Olivia/Sloane stuff was just for some 1-4 ep drama but also to possibly lay the groundwork of Kevin having intimacy issues.

My supposition that they changed their plans on the fly is IMO a kindness.  If they planned to have that scene with Olivia and William while she was waiting for the Uber, giving her an epiphany about her feelings for Kevin, then have her go back in and passionately kiss him, then (am I remembering this right?) essentially blow him off the very next time we see her...that's bad writing.

9 hours ago, NutMeg said:

Now, I've warmed up to Sanjay (which means we may never see him again), but horse dude seems just a tool to get Kate out of the camp, because apparently the only purpose of the camp was that "breakthrough" she had while drumming? That seems thin to me. That camp was the most interesting thing for the Kate character since many, many episodes.

Cosigned.  They need to stop using people and situations in this way, just burning them up to get a quick hit off the emotional crack pipe (this applies to my earlier point about Olivia as well) before flying on to the next thing.

Edited by SlackerInc
Earlier version implied Olivia's feelings were for William
  • Love 5

I don't find Kate pleasant at all. I'm not sure why Toby thinks he's madly in love with her. I understand that she's uber focused on her weight and admire her for that and for trying to change her lifestyle. But aside from that, I haven't seen much of a sense of humour or any reason why Toby and fatcamp guy would be after her, like, to the death.

I think the producers think it's edgy and complimentary that Kate is fat and yet these two guys want her and not just want to be around her, but want her sexually!! OMG a fatty that's having regular sex! How forward-thinking we are.

(Please don't go ballistic on me: I'm a fatty too...)

• Love 14
2 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

No, it may not change how the kids feel (although I personally would be way more traumatised if my dad had died from suicide vs. cancer but of course YMMV) , but a lot of viewers are drawn to Jack and also care when and how he died.  I think there is a lot of interest in the multigenerational family and their interrelationships.

Sure, lots of others feel differently. But this is a thread for unpopular opinions. And mine is that I care more about other things. :)

• Love 6

I'm bypassing the episode thread and heading straight here, because ... I'm glad that William's story has finally reached its conclusion. I liked him in small doses at the beginning, but felt he was getting more and more tedious as the season went on. I'm happy he got a dignified ending, with just him and Randall, and that it was done in one episode instead of being dragged out into next season (like I feel Jack's death is going to be).

Another UO: making the bed in a hotel actually creates *more* work for housekeeping. They still have to change the sheets, and having to untuck everything takes more effort.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 13
5 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Another UO: making the bed in a hotel actually creates *more* work for housekeeping. They still have to change the sheets, and having to untuck everything takes more effort.

I read something on the internet (that of course totally means it's true) that hotel maids don't change the sheets every time guests leave, if they feel they can get away with it.  So, if he's not creating more work, he's actually giving incentive to ewwness.

• Love 5

I am only through episode 5 (the Steelers episode) and when I found myself cheering for the guy who was telling Jack and Rebecca to shut up during the Superbowl, I realized that this show is really not for me, although I may try and watch a few more based on the fact that I have so many friends who apparently bawl their eyes out after each new episode.  I have also inadvertently ticked off some good friends by saying that I don't find any of the characters particularly interesting, and the acting is too heavy-handed and melodramatic for me to get invested.  So I wandered over to the show's forum on PTV to see if I am missing something deeper, or if I truly have a heart as cold as ice.

And then I saw this 12-page thread......:)

I feel like This is Us is the tv equivalent of the infamous book "The Fault in Our Stars."  I have also been lambasted for not being on the "ZOMG Best Book EVAR" bandwagon.  If a show or book or movie is deliberately trying to poke me in the feels to get a reaction, I tend to give the opposite reaction.  In the case of This is Us, I can't seem to generate any feeling for these characters.  They all feel very predictable and one-dimensional (so far).

And I see that there are many videos going around with the actors doing a roundtable discussion of each episode...am I awful for thinking that everyone on this show is taking themselves way too seriously?

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 15
4 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

I feel like This is Us is the tv equivalent of the infamous book "The Fault in Our Stars."  I have also been lambasted for not being on the "ZOMG Best Book EVAR" bandwagon.  If a show or book or movie is deliberately trying to poke me in the feels to get a reaction, I tend to give the opposite reaction.  In the case of This is Us, I can't seem to generate any feeling for these characters.  They all feel very predictable and one-dimensional (so far).

I like the show and I like the actors and I like the characters, but yes, this show is most DEFINITELY one that pokes the fuck out of you, hard, repeatedly, with the sharpest pointy stick they can find, and then they hit you over the head with a mallet, too, just in case you didn't get how you were supposed to react. It's my largest pet peeve when it comes to any entertainment, and it sometimes ruins what really could have been a good film or book or tv show. I'm sticking with this one because of the actors, but I grit my teeth repeatedly over the sheer amount of overkill, especially during last nite's episode, which has rendered everyone else in the world into an incoherent mass of tears and snot, apparently. Lots of things make me cry, but this kind of manipulation does not.

And " the fault in our stars" kind of  sucked.

• Love 11
15 hours ago, DayGlorious said:

Mine is that not only do I not care when he died, but i don't care how, either.

I kinda agree.  I mean, I do want to know just because it would be nice to know.  But I am not mad at the show for not telling us yet.  I don't feel like they are stringing me along or anything.  I do feel that the show is setting it up as a fairly important emotional touch point, but I am not really waiting for it.

• Love 2

I am likely going straight to hell for this opinion, but....I was so freaking bored during the Very Important Episode where William DIES. So much insta-schmalz via music montages. So much demand to instantly care about characters we've never freakin' seen before. It worked better for me when the drama focused on Randall's reaction to finding his extended biological family - far less well when it was Saint William giving sage advice about rolling windows down. The episode didn't keep a clear focus on Randall and instead wanted to give us all William's story when, I'm sorry, but I don't need all of that to care about how Randall is affected by his biological dad's death. I'm a horrible person.

I also have yet to find much appealing about sulky, scared, emotionally constipated Kate. Can they do anything remotely subtle with her character that would make her more interesting? Gah, she's a freaking drag. 

And, because I woke up on the extra wrong side of the bed this morning, may I add that I also do not find Jack remotely attractive and I'm quite ready for his perfect greasy-haired arse to kick the bucket. 

So, I'm watching at this point because of mild interest in the storylines and because I have a hard time giving up something I start, but the coating of extra-heavy-duty sentimentality is getting to be a bit much to get over...

Edited by potatoradio
Cold medicine typos and grammar are not pretty
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

So I wandered over to the show's forum on PTV to see if I am missing something deeper, or if I truly have a heart as cold as ice.

And then I saw this 12-page thread......:)

And I see that there are many videos going around with the actors doing a roundtable discussion of each episode...am I awful for thinking that everyone on this show is taking themselves way too seriously?

Some people might call you a "contrarian" but I think people want to feel independently; meaning they don't like media or anyone telling them how they should feel and when.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Now you've taken it too far! ;)

My, how I hated that book. 

2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Some people might call you a "contrarian" but I think people want to feel independently; meaning they don't like media or anyone telling them how they should feel and when.  

Having just wrapped up Stranger Things on Netflix, This is Us is vanilla by comparison.  When a character can slay me with only a brief facial expression, I'm all in.  So far, I haven't felt that one time with This is Us...and I came to this show because of Sterling K. Brown, who slayed me repeatedly on The People vs. OJ Simpson.  I mean, brand-new awards should've been created just for him with his performance of Chris Darden.  And yet, on TIU - same actor, none of the power.  I am confused.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, laurakaye said:

There aren't enough words in the English language to express how strongly I agree with this. I had the exact same epiphany (right down to the shitty book) during the first few episodes of this dreck. I watch it because I like all the actors (from past projects, not this one) but honestly, let's face it: the emperor has no clothes. This is cheesy tragedy porn with excruciating Shonda Rhimes-level dialogue.

During the hoopla surrounding The Fault in Our Stars, most of the discussion seemed to be from people (99% women) talking endlessly about how much it made them cry. It became like a measuring contest of who cried harder. That's the exact thing happening on This Is Us boards (not just this one) - people writing about how they're preparing to cry, people writing about how they're crying, people writing how much they cried. Oh my god, we get it.

It was especially ridiculous when all of this was happening during the first couple of episodes of the show. You barely know these characters. You're being manipulated with the subtlety of a sledgehammer. I've gotten misty at TV shows in the past (hi, The West Wing!) but that was after years of knowing and caring about the characters. It wasn't empty manipulation that got me teary, especially since some of those emotional moments weren't sad at all.

There's nothing inherently wrong about crying over a TV show, but the almost bragging (?) about it week after week starts to seem a little bit...off.

• Love 7
38 minutes ago, CleoCaesar said:

There's nothing inherently wrong about crying over a TV show, but the almost bragging (?) about it week after week starts to seem a little bit...off.

I actually don't like crying at TV shows.  Not saying that I don't, but I try not to.  Couldn't help myself last night, but I didn't cry until the end. I don't think I've cried at this show before, though.  I'm not really sure what other episodes would make you cry.  I mean Kate choking up and not being able to discuss her father's death was emotional, for sure, but I don't know.  Maybe I'm just too hard-hearted.

I especially hate crying when reading.  I wear glasses, so it's a whole process to cry and read.  But, The Fault in Our Stars definitely got me.  But, not as bad as What Was Good About Today.  I read that book like 20 years ago and can barely think about it without crying.  So, maybe I'm too soft-hearted.

Maybe I'm an anomaly.

I think people of course vary greatly in how much they cry or what makes them cry, but it's perfectly human to do so in response to strong emotion (or pain).  We get conditioned not to openly cry, especially boys and men, so whenever I see a male crying, that alone just gets me crying in sympathy.  For me it's generally a good thing, a good release of maybe pent-up emotion.  But I definitely don't like to be sobbing in public. 

• Love 4

I'm actually really pretty empathic and I cry easily. I cry over commericals and books and tv shows and youtube videos, and if an animal is involved, whether it's a happy story or a sad one, I'm toast. I cry over entertainment that is pure art, and I cry, sometimes, over stuff that's really not. I've cried so hard over movies that people in the theatre have asked noticed, and handed me a tissue or offered to walk me to my car (that makes me sound like a basket case). i'm not a loud or obvious crier, but 'the pianist' and 'eve's bayou' and 'the sweet hereafter' and 'lantana'  and 'manchester by the sea' and 'moonlight' all made me just put my head down and let the tears go. I've occasionally sobbed in the theatre, which is embarrassing. The latest film that happened in was 'Lion' which most definitely was fairly obvious and manipulative but not so much that the sadness of the film and the real life situation didn't still get to me. "beasts of the southern wild' made me sob too. So...I really truly get crying over entertainment. This show just hasn't done it. Maybe Jack dying will, but I fear it will be so heavy handed it won't. Maybe it'll surprise me.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Katy M said:

I read something on the internet (that of course totally means it's true) that hotel maids don't change the sheets every time guests leave, if they feel they can get away with it.  So, if he's not creating more work, he's actually giving incentive to ewwness.

Which is why I always take the sheets off the hotel bed and throw them in a pile on the bathroom floor. Of course, the maids could still put the old sheets back on the bed, but it makes me hope they'd just as soon get some clean sheets off their carts.

8 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

"beasts of the southern wild' made me sob too. So...I really truly get crying over entertainment. This show just hasn't done it. Maybe Jack dying will, but I fear it will be so heavy handed it won't. Maybe it'll surprise me.

Same here. This Is Us is one of my favorite shows of the season, and while I get emotional almost every episode, I've yet to cry. The closest I came was last week when Kevin came to Randall's office to check on him, and Randall was sitting on the floor, almost comatose. 

But yes, 'Beasts of the Southern Wild' had me bawling like a baby. As did 'Steel Magnolias,' 'Boyz n The Hood,' 'Schindler's List,' and 'The Color Purple.'

I think perception has a lot to do with it. I rarely cry but I have more than once at this show. Yes, I knew William was going to die in Memphis but the rest wasn't anything I guessed. For me, it's not hitting me over the head with you must cry.

But I hated Parenthood and gave up pretty quickly on it. I'd occasionally catch an episode here and there to see what I was missing. It just didn't work for me. To each his own.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, deaja said:

Now you've taken it too far! ;)

My, how I hated that book. 

Never read the book, but I pray that neither of those uhhhh "actors" ever shows up in anything I watch.  

11 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I don't watch those aftershow things but the network puts them out, and I doubt the actors have any choice but to participate.  I think ratings-wise it's considered a mega-hit so they do have that reason to take it seriously.  I figure the aftershow is for the people who don't understand the messages even with all the in-show anvils, so it looks like torture.  I don't even think anyone here watches them, or if they do, it's rarely mentioned.  

I think compared to the Twilight drivel, anything by John Green is practically Pulitzer material.  But it's all considered 'young adult lit', too.  

I don't watch the aftershows either.....I was thinking it was yet another time for everyone to pat themselves on the back about it. And to reiterate how much better it is than other shows. Maybe not though.

I think the way the show promotes the crying stuff is sooooo over the top and actually very ANNOYING. The actors are annoying when they talk about it, the commercials are annoying when they talk about it, news anchors are annoying when they talk about it. I get that this has become their "thing" but it is so damn obnoxious to the point I roll my eyes at the single mention of a teardrop. I rolled my eyes at Milo's letter or whatever it was he had yesterday. I rolled my eyes at the dumb video of the actors apologizing for making everyone cry so much. I roll my eyes at Fogelman tweeting about which episode will make everyone cry the hardest. I'm expecting another one from him saying "If you think this was bad just wait til you see......" It's not only annoying, IMO it messes with the quality or potential quality of a show by going into a writers room and thinking of ideas on how to get people to cry the hardest rather than writing good stories that make sense. If people are moved enough to cry....great. I imagine the writers room for TIU writing last weeks episode and someone saying that Kevin rushing off stage was silly, and Fogelman replying.......but they will CRY BUCKETS AND THAT'S WHAT REALLY MATTERS HERE! NOW SOMEBODY WRITE ME A DAMN STORY THAT WILL FLOOD THE COUNTRY WITH TEARS NOWWWW!!!

• Love 12
10 minutes ago, HeyThere83 said:

I think the way the show promotes the crying stuff is sooooo over the top and actually very ANNOYING. The actors are annoying when they talk about it, the commercials are annoying when they talk about it, news anchors are annoying when they talk about it. I get that this has become their "thing" but it is so damn obnoxious to the point I roll my eyes at the single mention of a teardrop. I rolled my eyes at Milo's letter or whatever it was he had yesterday. I rolled my eyes at the dumb video of the actors apologizing for making everyone cry so much. I roll my eyes at Fogelman tweeting about which episode will make everyone cry the hardest. I'm expecting another one from him saying "If you think this was bad just wait til you see......" It's not only annoying, IMO it messes with the quality or potential quality of a show by going into a writers room and thinking of ideas on how to get people to cry the hardest rather than writing good stories that make sense. If people are moved enough to cry....great. I imagine the writers room for TIU writing last weeks episode and someone saying that Kevin rushing off stage was silly, and Fogelman replying.......but they will CRY BUCKETS AND THAT'S WHAT REALLY MATTERS HERE! NOW SOMEBODY WRITE ME A DAMN STORY THAT WILL FLOOD THE COUNTRY WITH TEARS NOWWWW!!!

Exactly. Dead on. They've hyped themselves so much, so loudly, so OBVIOUSLY: YOU WILL GET ALL THE FEELS!!!! Well, that almost guarantees I won't. 

• Love 7

I have never even come close to tearing up while watching this show. I can't believe that people are so easily emotionally manipulated by a plot that moves forward at a snail's pace, sad music, characters crying, and an inevitable outcome.

While watching this episode, I found myself thinking, "Okay, I'm officially tired of the flashbacks."

I thought it was time for William to die.

I thought they did an excellent job aging William's mother. I liked Randall's drunken glee at meeting cousins. I liked Randall and Beth's exchange at the doctor's office. There's even humor in their disagreements.

Now, onto Jack's death. I'm beyond caring how. The sooner the better.

• Love 6

One ticket for the "I have no idea why you're crying" train, please.

It takes a lot for a show to crack me. It's not that I don't have feelings, it's just that I'm very analytical and I'm good at spotting emotional manipulation when it's as blatant as this show makes it. Being raised by emotionally manipulative parents probably helped hone that skill. And these characters mostly don't feel like real people to me; they feel like focus-grouped algorithms. There isn't a connection.

Sometimes a show will manage to catch me in just the right mood and something will set me off. I did openly bawl during the finale of Six Feet Under. (Is there anyone who didn't?) Outlander also hit me from way out in left field with a baby's death, and I'm not usually a kid person--I can make it through Call the Midwife without a blink. In the former, the acting was just that insanely good. 

On the other hand, anything involving animals is an instant fast forward. Nope, nope, nope. I've dropped shows for animal cruelty and deaths. I hate that I'm still smoking the stupid GoT crack.

• Love 4

Seeing William meeting his mother in Heaven was really unnecessary. His death montage didn't need that. The flashbacks to him and his mother at various points in his life were enough.

And these characters mostly don't feel like real people to me; they feel like focus-grouped algorithms. There isn't a connection.

I think my problem with the show, even though I do enjoy it, is that everyone has to do some kind of big, grand gesture, like they all live in some romantic comedy where all of the worthy guys are expected to pull a Jake Ryan moment. No one is allowed to build a relationship organically. The closest we got was Kevin and Sloane, and that got abruptly dropped in favor of Kevin's long-lost childhood love.

That's where the fake feeling comes from, at least to me.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Seeing William meeting his mother in Heaven was really unnecessary. His death montage didn't need that. The flashbacks to him and his mother at various points in his life were enough.

Yikes. I didn't even watch the episode (I'm at the point now where I just read the threads). That sounds super cornball. 

The show feels more like a finely-tuned product than a piece of art. Can't hold it against them; it's obviously working for them, and they seem to have figured out what soap opera America wants to watch Right Now. 

• Love 5

I hate crying at movies or in theatres because I like to be alone when I cry. Dislike crying in front of other people with a passion. The one show that I couldn't help myself was the Fun Home musical. Oh good lord, both my wife and I were sniffling, red-eyed wrecks. This show? I watch alone. I watch with wine. I watch while PMS-ing. I watch when doped on cold medicine. I watch when I've had a bad day and am just PRIMED for waterworks. Nary a tear or lump in the throat.

Like others have said, don't tell me to cry, show. I get a show promoting itself as dramatic and I could probably stomach  descriptions like "heartwrenching" or "emotional." But telling me that I should expect to ugly cry and be destroyed because this is the cryfest of a lifetime? And then expecting me to watch the circle jerk afterward about how amazingly, bigly awesome everyone is and that they should just get their Emmy right that minute? Ah....hard pass. 

Edited by potatoradio
  • Love 7
29 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I've only ever seen Brown elsewhere in the first couple OJ eps and he seemed about the same to me there, not that he was in it much at that point.  But if the Emmys were up to me tonight, I'd give it to Brian Tyree Henry, because he seemed like a different guy in this than Atlanta.  

I actually agree with this and I've already professed my love for SKB. He's quickly become a favorite of mine. I had no idea who he was before Atlanta but he steals the show there.

10 hours ago, HeyThere83 said:

I don't watch the aftershows either.....I was thinking it was yet another time for everyone to pat themselves on the back about it. And to reiterate how much better it is than other shows. Maybe not though.

5 hours ago, potatoradio said:

I hate crying at movies or in theatres because I like to be alone when I cry. Dislike crying in front of other people with a passion. The one show that I couldn't help myself was the Fun Home musical. Oh good lord, both my wife and I were sniffling, red-eyed wrecks. This show? I watch alone. I watch with wine. I watch while PMS-ing. I watch when doped on cold medicine. I watch when I've had a bad day and am just PRIMED for waterworks. Nary a tear or lump in the throat.

Like others have said, don't tell me to cry, show. I get a show promoting itself as dramatic and I could probably stomach  descriptions like "heartwrenching" or "emotional." But telling me that I should expect to ugly cry and be destroyed because this is the cryfest of a lifetime? And then expecting me to watch the circle jerk afterward about how amazingly, bigly awesome everyone is and that they should just get their Emmy right that minute? Ah....hard pass. 

It probably helped that I had no expectation about this show when I started watching it, and that it came in a time of my life when I have some cathartic tears to shed. I LIKE crying alone, weird as that may seem, when triggered - any strong emotional bond is a trigger for me, "my people were Nordics", well, not exactly, but still pretty much undemonstrative, at least on one side of my family, the other side was the complete opposite. 

It probably helps me appreciate this show (though I have critics) that I never watch promos or after shows. I get into a show with an open mind, and I like the show to inform my mind - I really DO resent the idea that the show runners have to "explain" it (this is off topic and not about This is Us). I get that they are asked to do so, and that it's now part of their job, but I think it diminishes their work and ultimately tarnishes their mission, which as I see it is to write and film a good story which is compelling on its own.   

I've been thinking for a while about how series are now the most exciting thing, because movies are ruled by box office numbers, where usually the bulk is outside the US and China is a big factor. And yes, series also have an advantage because they can tell a story over many hours. I wish the show runners went at it as movie runners - mum until the full release. This expectations what they're supposed to feel are a spoiler for some people and lessen their experience, it would be better if none of us came with any expectation so we'd all just watch it for what it is independently of how we're "supposed to" feel.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, potatoradio said:

But telling me that I should expect to ugly cry and be destroyed because this is the cryfest of a lifetime? And then expecting me to watch the circle jerk afterward about how amazingly, bigly awesome everyone is and that they should just get their Emmy right that minute? Ah....hard pass. 

Truth. I did cry during this episode, but in general I am turned off by being told how sad it will be and how much I will sob. It makes me far less likely to do it, as I become self-conscious (not like "I think I look stupid," but like "I am aware of how this is manipulating my reactions"). It's like if you hear everyone say how hilarious a show or movie is, you will DIE LAUGHING, then you watch it and you just think it's stupid because it raised your expectations too high and made you very aware of the try-hard.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

Truth. I did cry during this episode, but in general I am turned off by being told how sad it will be and how much I will sob. It makes me far less likely to do it, as I become self-conscious (not like "I think I look stupid," but like "I am aware of how this is manipulating my reactions"). It's like if you hear everyone say how hilarious a show or movie is, you will DIE LAUGHING, then you watch it and you just think it's stupid because it raised your expectations too high and made you very aware of the try-hard.

Yes, this.  It's not as if I purposely will never cry during this entire show because I'm being stubborn about it, but it has to be organic crying...I mean, it has to develop because I'm invested in the people and their situations, not because a writer somewhere is scribbling words and situations that he knows will produce tears.  This show (I am only up to episode 7) so far seems to be so focused on making everyone sob buckets.  That is its end goal.  To me, the very fact that the producers, actors, etc. expect us all to cry takes away from any different and natural reactions we might have.

For example, I really touched a nerve with a friend when I told her why I wasn't feeling this show.  She came back and explained how much she relates to Kate and her weight struggles - all of that is very real to her own situation.  There are situations on this show that are real to me as well, but IMO they are portrayed with such melodrama that it takes away from the issue at hand.  It removes me right out of the show because in my mind, I'm thinking - oh, here is where I am supposed to cry, right?  And then I get on Facebook and see that sure enough, I should've been crying.  So I keep my mouth shut and come here instead, LOL.

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Yes, this.  It's not as if I purposely will never cry during this entire show because I'm being stubborn about it, but it has to be organic crying...I mean, it has to develop because I'm invested in the people and their situations, not because a writer somewhere is scribbling words and situations that he knows will produce tears.

Exactly. I cried at this episode because ever since I had a kid I easily become emotional about parent/child stuff.

• Love 1

Possible unpopular opinion:  the scales have been tipped so much in favor of Randall's story (and I like his whole backstory and current story) that Kevin's and Kate's are insipid.  It has been a popular opinion that Kate has to be about more than weight, but I find Kevin equally lacking in dimension.  Maybe the writing can remedy this going forward, I'll have to give it a little time. 

• Love 14

It probably helps me appreciate this show (though I have critics) that I never watch promos or after shows. I get into a show with an open mind, and I like the show to inform my mind... 

Same here. Don't follow Hollywood gossip shows or celebrity interviews. This is probably why I often have a hard time remembering "cliff hangers". Once I've watched a show, I'm done other than writing some comments here. A TV show groupie I am not. I definitely think it makes me appreciate shows more, being surprised by a twist or shocked when a character dies (not having read beforehand that the actor quit the show) or noticing how a character is being filmed or the character's temporary absence (because of a pregnancy or childbirth). 

• Love 2

I DVR everything so I literally never watch commercials, which means I've apparently missed all the hype about crying and manipulative promos and whatnot.  Maybe that's why I never feel manipulated by this show, nor do I feel like I'm expected to cry or feel anything other than whatever it is that I feel, which seems like a UO here.  I just like it as an interesting, family drama which is so very scarce on network tv these days. 

Edited by izabella
  • Love 11
23 hours ago, topanga said:

But yes, 'Beasts of the Southern Wild' had me bawling like a baby. As did 'Steel Magnolias,' 'Boyz n The Hood,' 'Schindler's List,' and 'The Color Purple.'

For me it's Debra Winger's scene with her son in Terms of Endearment.  And Robert Munsch's Love You Forever.  If you are familiar with both works, you will sense a theme.

• Love 1

I never watch any commercials or promos either, I just know blatant manipulation when I see it. :)

(You could argue that the whole point of fiction is to make you feel stuff, it's just so ... clockwork on this show.)

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 6