Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E05: SandiLake Clothing, Parker's Maple, Safe Grabs, SiliDog

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

A stay-at-home mom pitches her stylish clothing line for little ones; an 18-year-old hopes the Sharks can help spread his delicious maple syrup products to tables across America; a woman has risked everything for her simple and smart multi-use kitchen accessory; and a young man created a new type of tag for dog lovers. Also, a profile on Kevin O'Leary reveals a lesser-known side of the Shark also known as "Mr. Wonderful."

I hate that Barbara is now using Mark Cuban's "shot clock".

When heating soup in the microwave, I just put a plate underneath it.  For splatter, a paper plate on top.  I don't need to spend 20 dollars for a silicon bib that I have to wash it after use.

If your dog's tags keep you awake from scratching, take them to the vet.  It's probably another problem (maybe fleas?).

• Love 7

Funny how Lori got so offended with Barbara insisting the kid clothing woman make a decision on the spot when Lori does that all the time.

Was happy that the SiliDog guy got a deal.  Was hoping that he'd choose Robert since Robert loves pets so much and was initially the only shark interested.  I'm not sure I understand why so many entrepreneurs seem to want Lori so badly.  

Sad the maple syrup guy didn't get a deal.  He seemed very sharp and driven for an 18 year old.  

Do Kevin and Mark get many deals any more? 

ETA:  I don't think the kids clothing woman understand that she wasn't going to be working with Grace and Lace so much as piggybacking off their success.  Barbara explained the social media and I'm guessing the woman behind GAL has a lot of followers and posts regularly, boosting her sales.  The clothing woman clearly didn't get that.  I think she was kind of an idiot for passing up Barbara's offer. 

Edited by psychoticstate
Faulty memory
  • Love 11
36 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

I don't think the kids clothing woman understand that she wasn't going to be working with Grace and Lace so much as piggybacking off their success.  Barbara explained the social media and I'm guessing the woman behind GAL has a lot of followers and posts regularly, boosting her sales.  The clothing woman clearly didn't get that.  I think she was kind of an idiot for passing up Barbara's offer. 

She's a mom, y'all!

• Love 12
5 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

Was happy that the SiliDog guy got a deal.  Was hoping that he'd choose Robert since Robert loves pets so much and was initially the only shark interested. 

Robert was pretty down on the product, and said that he was investing in the entrepreneur. He kept pointing out that there are plastic tags on the market that "do the same thing", while continually ignoring the other main value proposition of the product: they don't fade, but plastic does. I don't blame that guy for going elsewhere. 

I love the product. My 10 year old border collie's play in the mud days are over (thank goodness), but I'd go through a tag a year with her before switching to metal. The noise is a real issue at night, as she still wakes up several times a night and roams the house, looking for our three cats. Once she knows everyone is safe, she goes back to bed. Until she wakes up again in a couple of hours. I take her collar off before I go to bed. Any how, I'll be a customer for future pets. 

• Love 7

As someone who lives in the general area of upstate NY/Vermont/New Hampshire/Canada... the most important part of the maple syrup pitch was that it is a commodity product. 

I swear you can't drive 10 miles anywhere without seeing someone selling maple syrup on the side of the road or from their farm. 

There are subtle variations between providers, but not noticeable enough for the average consumer to notice or care.

However, I think with a strong branding push and some backing, the right company could make some good national headway, and cut into the fake syrup market. 

(Source: I may or may not have over 3 gallons of maple syrup in my house right now.)

• Love 10
8 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

ETA:  I don't think the kids clothing woman understand that she wasn't going to be working with Grace and Lace so much as piggybacking off their success.  Barbara explained the social media and I'm guessing the woman behind GAL has a lot of followers and posts regularly, boosting her sales.  The clothing woman clearly didn't get that.  I think she was kind of an idiot for passing up Barbara's offer. 

I had forgotten until I read the recap that Barbara had asked for 40% with the intention of the Grace and Lace people taking 20%. I can understand being hesitant to hand over 20% of the company to someone who's not even sitting in the room that you've never met before. Also, another thought that had crossed my mind (and I'm going to do my best to explain said thought without offending anyone) - it's well-known that the GAL people are very religious and that their beliefs do play a role in how they run their company and market their products. Now obviously, there's nothing wrong with that; it's their company, they can do whatever they want with it. However, if your beliefs don't align with theirs, I think it's fair to not want to give them an equity stake in your company for various reasons. Had it been a straight introduction/mentoring relationship, that would have been one thing, and the clothing woman would have been free to take what worked for her and her brand and left the rest behind. But actually giving GAL part of the company is where things got murky. While I wouldn't have thought less of her for taking the deal, I don't think she's a complete idiot for passing on it. (Granted, this is all pure speculation, and for all I know, they would have had a blast going to church together on Sundays. Like I said, it was just a thought.)

I liked the maple syrup kid and was a little disappointed that he didn't get a deal.

• Love 19
10 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

Funny how Lori got so offended with Barbara insisting the kid clothing woman make a decision on the spot when Lori does that all the time.

Was happy that the SiliDog guy got a deal.  Was hoping that he'd choose Robert since Robert loves pets so much and was initially the only shark interested.  I'm not sure I understand why so many entrepreneurs seem to want Lori so badly.  

Sad the maple syrup guy didn't get a deal.  He seemed very sharp and driven for an 18 year old.  

All of them do the shock clock (love that term!).   Lori should not have interrupted Barbara knowing she was going out, though that might have saved her from a mistake.    The woman did not understand Barbara's deal, nor did I.  Thank you for the explanation, @augumentedforth.  I would steer clear of a business tied to religion because I know little about them or how it could play out.  

The minute Laurie speaks, everyone, with a product, thinks millionaire in that split second and often come wanting a deal with her.  QVC and Laurie's connection to BB&B has made many millionaires.  I bought Scrub Daddy the morning after the show aired and have used them ever since.  If you haven't tried them, do, do it now.   Phenomenal product.  They are sold at Home Depot.  $3.59 for a sponge that lasts for months with scrubbing capabilities beyond sponges and Scrubble.  I no longer buy Soft Scrub for the bathtubs, one of many things. 

Very few want to work with Robert and almost no one wants Kevin!  If Cuban puts an offer on the table he always gets it.  Maybe, just maybe he has lost a deal but I have no memory of it.   

Maple Butter.  Some get free advertising and do very well despite no deal.  Cuban was wrong on the calorie count,  2Ts is 130 calories.  Though the name is maple butter it has no fat so I assume the syrup is whipped to have a spreadable consistency.  

https://www.parkersmaple.com/collections/frontpage/products/real-maple-butter

JPEG_Butter_Nutrition_large.png?24975692

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

Mark made a good suggestion with the maple cotton candy kid to advertise the calorie count (and up the price), but he could have jumped on the deal if he would have suggested the cotton candy be packed in a plastic bag (rather than a jar) so Mark could sell them at Cavs games and his movie theaters -- he's done that before with pretzels, I think.

Also, to those of you objecting to the Mom being tied to Grace and Lace and not wanting to be tied to "religion" . . . well, do any of the contestants ask the religious preferences of the SHARKS before they do a deal?/!!

• Love 1
1 minute ago, basiltherat said:

Mark made a good suggestion with the maple cotton candy kid to advertise the calorie count (and up the price), but he could have jumped on the deal if he would have suggested the cotton candy be packed in a plastic bag (rather than a jar) so Mark could sell them at Cavs games and his movie theaters -- he's done that before with pretzels, I think.

Also, to those of you objecting to the Mom being tied to Grace and Lace and not wanting to be tied to "religion" . . . well, do any of the contestants ask the religious preferences of the SHARKS before they do a deal?/!!

No, but there is a big difference when someone/business makes it known or leads with it.  Religion can and often does drive the train.  For me any belief be it spiritual or religious is a personal guidance system, no one has a corner on the truth so keep it to yourself.  

• Love 2

The Sharks don't have their religious beliefs plastered all over their other companies. In fact, I couldn't tell you anything about the religions (or lack thereof) of any of the Sharks off the top of my head. But when you go to Grace and Lace's website (which I did, to make sure I wasn't remembering things incorrectly), it's right there at the top of the page. And again, there is nothing wrong with that. To suggest that it might make a future business partner or mentee uncomfortable isn't a slam against religion. Different people believe different things, that's all.

• Love 12

Did I hear the Parker kid say maple butter is a new idea/product? Because I have a jar of it in my pantry closet right now. And the Ketzel family (presently in Massachusetts but previously in Vermont)  has been spreading it on toast, English muffins and waffles for many many years.

Ah, I just checked his website and he leads the description of the product by saying his isn't the first, but he bets it's the first you'd try because his is a creamier and more spreadable consistency. That I buy - the product I use does dry up some in the fridge and the jar has to sit in warm water to make the maple butter spreadable again. And I think it might separate out into crystals and syrup if it sits too long in the fridge, but a jar never lasts very long around here, so I can't say. But I also notice his maple butter contains maple syrup and potasium [sic] sorbate, whereas my brand contains 100% maple syrup with no additives.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Maple Butter.  Some get free advertising and do very well despite no deal.  Cuban was wrong on the calorie count,  2Ts is 130 calories. 

Cuban was talking about the cotton candy when he brought up the calorie thing. It was not about the maple butter at all. Cotton candy in general is super low calorie because it's mostly air, but people sometimes forget that and/or will be drawn to anything that looks like a big container that points out a low-sounding calorie count for the whole package. He was saying to take advantage of that.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, ae2 said:

As someone who lives in the general area of upstate NY/Vermont/New Hampshire/Canada... the most important part of the maple syrup pitch was that it is a commodity product. 

I swear you can't drive 10 miles anywhere without seeing someone selling maple syrup on the side of the road or from their farm. 

There are subtle variations between providers, but not noticeable enough for the average consumer to notice or care.

However, I think with a strong branding push and some backing, the right company could make some good national headway, and cut into the fake syrup market. 

(Source: I may or may not have over 3 gallons of maple syrup in my house right now.)

As someone who lives in NC and must pay an arm and a leg for real maple syrup, I am jealous of you!

I was on board with silicone mat lady until she held up two mats in front of her breasts. NO.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

All of them do the shot clock (love that term!).   Lori should not have interrupted Barbara knowing she was going out!    The woman did not understand that she was going to be learning the business from Grace and Lace and her clothing would be entirely separate.  Barbara stated that clearly, too.  Had Lori not interrupted, I think she would have gotten it.  She kicked herself last night when she saw exactly what happened.  And she probably wanted to strangle Lori.  

The minute Laurie speaks, everyone, with a product, thinks millionaire in that split second and often come wanting a deal with her.  QVC and Laurie's connection to BB&B has made many millionaires.  I bought Scrub Daddy the morning after the show aired and have used them ever since.  If you haven't tried them, do, do it now.   Phenomenal product.  They are sold at Home Depot and many other places.  $3.59 for a sponge that lasts for months with scrubbing capabilities any other product.  I no longer buy Soft Scrub for the bathtubs for one thing. 

Very few want to work with Robert and no one wants Kevin!  If Cuban puts an offer on the table he always gets it.  Maybe, just maybe he has lost a deal but I have no memory of it.   

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, annewithaneee said:

I hope Trader Joe's test kitchen starts on their own maple butter recipe ASAP so I can add it to their products that will make me diabetic in Fall 2017. I totally want to try some, but not at $12 a bottle.

I don't know if this can happen - Trader Joe's sells maple syrup already, but it's just barely cheaper than the same quantity from the supermarket chains around here. And if the supermarket is having a sale, that price is often even cheaper. If you want to use pure maple syrup without stretchers, I think there's really only so low you can price your product, unless you use it as a loss leader and don't expect to make a profit on it at all.

• Love 1

The way Lori kept yapping when Barbara put the t-shirt lady on notice is exactly why I can't stand Lori.  She's done that exact same thing before. 

I think Daymond was the Shark trying to make a deal with a guy and Lori started talking, as if she was interested in making an offer.  Daymond put the guy on a timer, and Lori, knowing that this poor guy was trying to hear what she had to say while at the same time not lose out on Daymond's offer, started talking even slower, with more pauses, while Daymond's timer wound down.  I was actually yelling at her through the TV to hurry up.  Daymond dropped out of the deal, and Lori immediately finished up her story with "but all that said, this isn't really the product for me.  I'm out."  I wanted to strangle her.

There's no reason for her to act like that.  She's basically dangling the possibility of a much better offer in front of someone's face (someone who's entire life could change, based on the next few moments), and then she snatches it away once the original Shark drops out.  I think she gets some kind of perverse pleasure from it.

Also, I know Robert is a gentleman, but let Lori get her OWN freebie sample from the contestants.  She's too good to actually lean over and reach for something?

• Love 9
6 hours ago, ae2 said:

I get that 100% maple syrup is just that, but then what's the difference between "grade A" and "grade B?"  (Using you as google!)

1 hour ago, Ketzel said:

I don't know if this can happen - Trader Joe's sells maple syrup already, but it's just barely cheaper than the same quantity from the supermarket chains around here. And if the supermarket is having a sale, that price is often even cheaper. If you want to use pure maple syrup without stretchers, I think there's really only so low you can price your product, unless you use it as a loss leader and don't expect to make a profit on it at all.

Very good point. I'm still going to pray to the TJ gods (who all wear Hawaiian shirts and are bordering-on-grating peppy and personally invested in my dinner plans) that this happens. Even if it's basically the same price point, I'd be happier forking over the $12 in person without having to deal with ordering and while I'm already there picking up bagels and wine.

• Love 1

I'm still trying to figure out how something Kevin doesn't want to invest in is "just a product/hobby, not a business" and the stupid toilet bowl lights he invested in are not just a product. God, I loathe him.

• Love 1

Re: the shot clock.  I wonder if anybody has ever said, "May I ask why you're demanding an answer immediately?"

If the shark said something like, "I like people who are decisive," and the person could respond, "I work more thoughtfully than that" or something along those lines.  Because it's a dick move.

I did like it when Cuban turned him down, the silidog guy told Bentley, "Git 'im!"

• Love 9

I always have such a hard time figuring out why everyone wants Lori. I understand why some do, for products that are perfect for QVC, I guess. Also, the silicone rounders? I've seen that in so many iterations already. Fail to see why it was something needed. I liked the dog tags; my dogs don't scratch, but they like to roam the house and bicker with each other, which always involves chewing on the other one's ears. Lots of tinkling noises with that. And sometimes in the middle of the night.

Also, I totally understand why the clothing lady didn't take the deal, with Barbara saying Grace and Lace would OWN 20%. I'm not even sure it was so much about religion with her, but more like someone else said above: they're not even THERE. Barbara could have set up a mentoring program without giving them 20% of the company. Man, they must be making her a lot of money. It's the only thing she goes on and on about anymore. They're her Tipsy Elves.

I think Cuban's bored. He doesn't seem to make very many deals these days. Or maybe he's just all tied up with the election.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

His margins are terrible, although, not necessarily out of line for a grocery product, I think. But the sharks (and venture capitalists) in general, hate low margin businesses, even ones that make make money, because they don't return the investment fast enough. Also, it's a crowded space, and if the Costco sales are disappointing and they bail, he's done.

4 hours ago, wings707 said:

The minute Laurie speaks, everyone, with a product, thinks millionaire in that split second and often come wanting a deal with her.  QVC and Laurie's connection to BB&B has made many millionaires.  I

9 minutes ago, PepperMonkey said:

I always have such a hard time figuring out why everyone wants Lori. I understand why some do, for products that are perfect for QVC, I guess.

To be a bit unkind and somewhat unfair, Lori is a master of manufacturing and marketing cheap crap that looks good in a commercial or on a shelf of similar junk. Many of these products have their "moment" and then fade away (or get knocked off). That's a space that a lot of these folks are in, and to some extent, I think they know it.

So, a quick meta-comment. I think the intro stresses "self-made" in a way it hasn't before, and we had the "focus on Kevin" featurette, stressing his humble origins. I'm wondering if this is a reaction to Trump giving multigenerational plutocrats a bad name? As a result, Cuban especially might want to stress that he made his money through hard work(*) not inheritance?

(*) And swindling Yahoo!, but shhh. :-) 

1 hour ago, LotusFlower said:

I get that 100% maple syrup is just that, but then what's the difference between "grade A" and "grade B?"  (Using you as google!)

The color is how you can tell immediately.  I prefer grade B and would buy C if they sold it.  I bought maple syrup from local people who made it in their back yard when I lived in MA.  The darker the color the stronger the maple flavor.  I prefer that.  Grade A tastes just sweet more than maple.  I am sure google has a technical answer about how it is made and graded,  but I am too lazy to care enough to go looking.  :^)  

35 minutes ago, PepperMonkey said:

I always have such a hard time figuring out why everyone wants Lori. I understand why some do, for products that are perfect for QVC, I guess. Also, the silicone rounders? I've seen that in so many iterations already. Fail to see why it was something needed. I liked the dog tags; my dogs don't scratch, but they like to roam the house and bicker with each other, which always involves chewing on the other one's ears. Lots of tinkling noises with that. And sometimes in the middle of the night.

Also, I totally understand why the clothing lady didn't take the deal, with Barbara saying Grace and Lace would OWN 20%. I'm not even sure it was so much about religion with her, but more like someone else said above: they're not even THERE. Barbara could have set up a mentoring program without giving them 20% of the company. Man, they must be making her a lot of money. It's the only thing she goes on and on about anymore. They're her Tipsy Elves.

I think Cuban's bored. He doesn't seem to make very many deals these days. Or maybe he's just all tied up with the election.

You answered your own question about Lori's popularity.  QVC and BB&B move products quickly and, as she says, she makes millionaires. I would want to go with her, too. 

I have seen small silicone discs to open jars but nothing that big.  I will buy one; I like the idea.  ETA: they are on amazon and just one clicked it.  2 for 27.95 (2 sizes)  My oldest son and the cook/chef in his household will get the large one for xmas.  He reheats bigger bowls of things.  :^)

Religion was not mentioned in regard to Grace and Lace on the show.  @augmentedforth  added that information as a point of interest.  

Sure Barbara could have done that but she didn't.  You cannot ask G and L to mentor for free, they have to get something out of it.  She talks about Cousins Lobster trucks a lot, too.  

Cuban, like all of them, have specific businesses that work for them so they sit back and wait for one that catches their interest. 

I have a love hate relationship with Barbara and Kevin.  It wouldn't be the same show without them no matter how irritable they become, though.  Cuban is my favorite.  I just really like the guy.  Robert runs a close second.  Funny, I forget about Daymon, I like him, too.  He, Kevin and Robert don't get many deals.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Latverian Diplomat said:

So, a quick meta-comment. I think the intro stresses "self-made" in a way it hasn't before, and we had the "focus on Kevin" featurette, stressing his humble origins. I'm wondering if this is a reaction to Trump giving multigenerational plutocrats a bad name? As a result, Cuban especially might want to stress that he made his money through hard work(*) not inheritance?

(*) And swindling Yahoo!, but shhh. :-) 

I think we will see a featured clip on all of them this season.  All are self made and have an inspiring story.  

• Love 3
8 hours ago, ae2 said:

When I was growing up in the Midwest, that stuff was like leprechaun gold--rumored to be out there, rarely encountered firsthand. 

I think even now I have a tiny jug of 100% real maple syrup (crystals) in the fridge and some disintegrating shreds of saffron in a precious little glass stoppered test tube, both of which I must've scooped up during some wildly extravagant fling back when I had money--even though this house has never served a homemade pancake or a . . . whatever you make with saffron.

When I die, someone will throw them away.

22 minutes ago, PepperMonkey said:

I'm pretty bored myself, with his mack daddy attitude and failure to contribute any input beyond "Ehh.  Not my bag."

I guess, though, that's smart.  Sort of like the elusive Real Maple Syrup or the spotted owl, when the Cuban bid does appear, the inventors feel they've scored something special.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, nottopbravo said:

I hate that Barbara is now using Mark Cuban's "shot clock".

Me too.  I sat here yelling at my TV.  I get it's for the drama of the show, but to insist the person take your offer without hearing others doesn't seem like how business is usually done.  And it's a b*tch move in my opinion.

She wasn't going to make her an offer, just wanted to run her mouth. 

Yep.  I'm tried of hearing her talk and do those hand motions.  At least she didn't talk about "hero or zero"...

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I have seen small silicone discs to open jars but nothing that big.  I will buy one; I like the idea.

I have a round black silicone disk the size of a large dinner plate, that I use to protect my laptop when I set a hot plate of food down on the lid.  (I spend a lot of time at a very small coffeetable.)

Purchased at some Dollar Store as "Silicone Trivet."

• Love 3
2 hours ago, wings707 said:

The color is how you can tell immediately.  I prefer grade B and would buy C if they sold it.  I bought maple syrup from local people who made it in their back yard when I lived in MA.  The darker the color the stronger the maple flavor.  I prefer that.  Grade A tastes just sweet more than maple.  I am sure google has a technical answer about how it is made and graded,  but I am too lazy to care enough to go looking.  :^)  

Thanks.  I ended up looking it up, and you're right that the grades are based on color.  But did you know that they've instituted a new grading system, and labels don't read grade B anymore?  Everything's grade A now, but in four varieties, from light to dark (light Amber to dark, robust, etc.). Just FYI!

• Love 3

So the Maple Syrup kid did learn a lot in the Tank -- the cotton candy stuff is $4.95 now! Which is smart, because that probably is the only place he's going to see decent margins.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Gregg247 said:

The way Lori kept yapping when Barbara put the t-shirt lady on notice is exactly why I can't stand Lori.  She's done that exact same thing before. 

I think Daymond was the Shark trying to make a deal with a guy and Lori started talking, as if she was interested in making an offer.  Daymond put the guy on a timer, and Lori, knowing that this poor guy was trying to hear what she had to say while at the same time not lose out on Daymond's offer, started talking even slower, with more pauses, while Daymond's timer wound down.  I was actually yelling at her through the TV to hurry up.  Daymond dropped out of the deal, and Lori immediately finished up her story with "but all that said, this isn't really the product for me.  I'm out."  I wanted to strangle her.

There's no reason for her to act like that.  She's basically dangling the possibility of a much better offer in front of someone's face (someone who's entire life could change, based on the next few moments), and then she snatches it away once the original Shark drops out.  I think she gets some kind of perverse pleasure from it.

Also, I know Robert is a gentleman, but let Lori get her OWN freebie sample from the contestants.  She's too good to actually lean over and reach for something?

It is TERRIBLE that Lori does that knowing she is going to drop out. ugh.

• Love 5

the little clip of mr wonderful to me was very touching--my father was very much like him, very businesslike and stern, and only when someone asked him about ww2 did he cry for the only time I ever saw--when Kevin began to cry about his father it really got to me.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Gregg247 said:

This boggled my mind too! I think it came up during a sample pass-out last week as well. In fact I might have imagined it, but last week I swear Kevin or somebody cracked a really quick joke about how she couldn't/wouldn't move. My guess is she has insane industrial-strength shapewear on underneath her dresses and it makes leaning forward an uncomfortable enterprise, and she'd prefer to just stay seated and have someone pass it to her? It's a little thing, and whatever makes her feel the most comfortable/confident to get through filming, more power to her. But it wouldn't hurt to see a variation in look on her, period. Pull the hair back, put on a sleek boss ass bitch powersuit, ditch the foundation garments if there are any, and be able to actually lean in, not in a Sheryl Sandberg way but just in a basic human range of motion way. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, wings707 said:

I think we will see a featured clip on all of them this season.  All are self made and have an inspiring story.  

Kevin's not entirely what I would call self-made. His mother, I think, loaned him $10K to start his first business, just like a lot of the "entrepreneurs" that come on the show. Depending upon your perspective, $10K may not be a lot, but my family has never had that to give me. I'm still paying my state school student loans in my 40s. It's great that he's had his success, but "self-made" to me means no financial help from anyone. Again, it comes down to perspective.

Edited by bilgistic
16 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Kevin's not entirely what I would call self-made. His mother, I think, loaned him $10K to start his first business, just like a lot of the "entrepreneurs" that come on the show. Depending upon your perspective, $10K may not be a lot, but my family has never had that to give me. I'm still paying my state school student loans in my 40s. It's great that he's had his success, but "self-made" to me means no financial help from anyone. Again, it comes down to perspective.

Tuning 10k into millions is impressive to me!  No, he wasn't living in a cardboard box under a bridge but I consider him self made, big time.  

• Love 6

I forgot to mention: I thought Mark's comment to maple kid was super helpful and I hope he uses it. He was completely correct that some people will go crazy over that tub o cotton candy being only 130 calories and those same people would happily pay 2.99 for it!!

ETA: Just now saw your comment, Jesse. 4.95 seems a little pricey to ME, but hey, more power to him.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 1

But-but- it says on the front of the jar that the cotton candy is 100% real maple sugar. Then it says on the ingredients label on the back that the first ingredient is "organic cane sugar" with "organic maple sugar" as the second ingredient.   Link   I can get cotton candy made mostly of cane sugar with a little flavoring of some other kind added at any county fair for a whole lot less than $4.95!  What gives, Parker?

Edited by Ketzel
5 hours ago, wings707 said:

I have a love hate relationship with Barbara and Kevin.  It wouldn't be the same show without them no matter how irritable they become, though.  Cuban is my favorite.  I just really like the guy.  Robert runs a close second.  Funny, I forget about Daymon, I like him, too.  He, Kevin and Robert don't get many deals.  

I like and respect Mark the most with Kevin a very close second. I think Robert is OK, I have some regard for Daymond (I like the way he has mentored some people who didn't even get a deal), and I am not a fan of Lori or Barbara. If I had to keep one, though, I'd go with Lori. Barbara has been behaving extra crabbily this year. To be perfectly honest, it makes me wonder if she's ill. I don't like her, but I certainly don't wish her ill health.

Still, that was a dick move both for Lori and Barbara with the clothing lady. Lori for jeopardising the deal, knowing she was going out, and Barbara for shot-clocking. It would be one thing if it were consistently done - if the Sharks consistently imposed a shot-clock, "this deal expires in ___ seconds". But sometimes they do and they go out; but more often, they just let their offer stand until the entrepreneur makes a final decision. Sometimes they shot-clock and it moves another shark to jump in and offer a better deal. You just never know what you're going to get, and I think it's unfair to expect the entrepreneurs to make a snap decision about something that could hugely impact the course of their lives. I get that the show is supposed to be entertaining, but I wish the sharks would quit playing games with people's lives in that fashion. It's not cute.

4 hours ago, candall said:

'm pretty bored myself, with his mack daddy attitude and failure to contribute any input beyond "Ehh.  Not my bag."

I guess, though, that's smart.  Sort of like the elusive Real Maple Syrup or the spotted owl, when the Cuban bid does appear, the inventors feel they've scored something special.

That's actually one thing I really like and respect about Kevin and Mark. They don't perk up for just anything, so when they do show a real interest or give a compliment, you know they're not just blowing smoke.

2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

That's a slippery slope right there. I get that you have loans, and maybe your family never had $10K to give you lump sum, but I'm assuming they spent at least that much on you over the years as you were growing up, right? They provided you with a roof over your head, some food to eat, etc.? Believe me when I tell you that my father never gave me a dime and my mother certainly never spent $10,000 on me. But I still had other relatives step in when it was painfully obvious that my mother couldn't care for me properly. None of our parents have been a help to us financially or anything, no $10K loan or whatever, but my husband and I are completely independent. Still, it doesn't mean I didn't have any help whatsoever in life. I think even people that are "self-made" often have that one boss that gave them a chance or that one teacher who inspired them or that bank loan officer that gave them the benefit of the doubt or whatever. No man is an island. And, of course, this:

1 hour ago, wings707 said:

Tuning 10k into billions is impressive to me!  No, he wasn't living in a cardboard box under a bridge but I consider him self made, big time.  

Edited by fivestone
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Gregg247 said:

Yup. People will learn. It's what she does.

Barbara: Once Lori makes an offer, I'm out.
Me: Well then you're probably safe to let her talk for 5 minutes.

• Love 3

I'm wondering if Barbara still would have pulled her offer if she'd only listened and hadn't rejected the offer outright.  I don't know that I would have blamed her, either.

Future entrepreneurs, take note:  Lori is only going to make an offer if she starts talking about HERSELF first.

I, like Barbara, thought the dog tag guy was about twelve.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

Thanks.  I ended up looking it up, and you're right that the grades are based on color.  But did you know that they've instituted a new grading system, and labels don't read grade B anymore?  Everything's grade A now, but in four varieties, from light to dark (light Amber to dark, robust, etc.). Just FYI!

They made this switch a couple of years ago to try to make it easier for consumers. (Most people assume "grade b" to be lower quality than "grade a". Not the case.)

If you've only had fake maple, start with the lightest stuff. The darker you get the stronger the maple flavor, but you lose a lot of the subtlety. They usually recommend the light maple for things like pancakes and ice cream (go try that now, it's beyond amazing!) Dark syrup for barbecue and baking - think molasses. 

I like to be smacked in the face with flavor, so I will sometimes use dark syrup on pancakes or waffles. But it can be overwhelming if you're unprepared!

4 minutes ago, ae2 said:

They made this switch a couple of years ago to try to make it easier for consumers. (Most people assume "grade b" to be lower quality than "grade a". Not the case.)

If you've only had fake maple, start with the lightest stuff. The darker you get the stronger the maple flavor, but you lose a lot of the subtlety. They usually recommend the light maple for things like pancakes and ice cream (go try that now, it's beyond amazing!) Dark syrup for barbecue and baking - think molasses. 

I like to be smacked in the face with flavor, so I will sometimes use dark syrup on pancakes or waffles. But it can be overwhelming if you're unprepared!

Fake syrup has a strong maple flavor so I would say buy the darkest color!  The darker the better, for me.  I like to taste maple, not just sweet.  I have not seen any dark syrup in any supermarket though, it all seems to be very light in color, lacking a distinct maple taste.  

Fake syrup is a bottle of high fructose corn syrup with synthetic maple flavor.  ugh

• Love 2