Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E05: SandiLake Clothing, Parker's Maple, Safe Grabs, SiliDog

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Ive watched this show for as long as its been on....and sometimes it just makes no sense. You have Ryans Barkery, which were dog biscuits who gets a deal, and this maple syrup guy who was so sharp and with it who doesnt. Then the kids with the $12.00 body sprays.....sometimes it is catching one of the sharks in a certain mood i guess....the craziest deal i remember was "I just want to draw you a cat"? anyone remember that one?

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, nlkm9 said:

Ive watched this show for as long as its been on....and sometimes it just makes no sense. You have Ryans Barkery, which were dog biscuits who gets a deal, and this maple syrup guy who was so sharp and with it who doesnt. Then the kids with the $12.00 body sprays.....sometimes it is catching one of the sharks in a certain mood i guess....the craziest deal i remember was "I just want to draw you a cat"? anyone remember that one?

I remember that - I thought it was a hilarious idea, and Cuban throwing his pocket change at it was also amusing. But apparently it got very successful, so successful that Gadlin decided to shut it down so he had more time to spend on more interesting projects. And Cuban was not pleased, but as Gadlin points out in the article at the link, he owned more of the business than Cuban did, so too bad for him. Heh.

• Love 1

I didn't see what the big deal was about the dog tags. In any Petsmart or Petco, you can purchase plastic/elastic forms in many different shapes, sizes and colors that go around the perimeter of the individual tag, thus eliminating the problem of jingling tags. 

The maple syrup kid was impressive but I live in New England where there is never a dearth of maple syrup products, so it wasn't compelling to me.

No need for that plastic disk in this house.  A paper plate under and over a bowl of soup does the trick. And I can use the paper plates for something else and then throw them away. No muss, no fuss.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, lordonia said:

Pardon such a basic question, but why multiple tags? My pets have always had one with their license info.

I have 3 - 1 with the basic contact info (name, number, address), license required by my city, and a third that grants us access to the dog park. I've lived places that also require the rabies tag to be on the collar.

9 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I didn't see what the big deal was about the dog tags. In any Petsmart or Petco, you can purchase plastic/elastic forms in many different shapes, sizes and colors that go around the perimeter of the individual tag, thus eliminating the problem of jingling tags. 

He said multiple times during his presentation that the plastic ones wear off and you can't read the printing after a short time (and he's right).

37 minutes ago, hkit said:

He said multiple times during his presentation that the plastic ones wear off and you can't read the printing after a short time (and he's right).

On actual plastic tags, right.  But I think what Auntie Anxiety was talking about are "frames" for lack of a better word that you can put on the metal tags.

• Love 2

I think, depending on his price point, there's probably room in the market for both the people who prefer the metal+buy a "bumper" route as well as people who might prefer to just start off with a tag that won't be clinky or clacky to begin with.

• Love 2

The clothes from the clothesline kind of bored me. Anyone a little curious/suspicious about the stolen design story? That design didn't look like anything special, and I've seen many similar designs before. Was it exactly the same, because I can easily picture someone making something extremely similar... only to be screwed over because a bunch of people jumped over the "they are thieves" bandwagon.

• Love 2
On 10/22/2016 at 11:25 AM, Gregg247 said:

Also, I know Robert is a gentleman, but let Lori get her OWN freebie sample from the contestants.  She's too good to actually lean over and reach for something?

I think she has an injury and/or back issue.  She's very awkward when she stands up to walk over and hug her new partners.

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
29 minutes ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

I think she has an injury and/or back issue.  She's very awkward when she stands up to walk over and hug her new partners.

I always thought she looked awkward getting up because of the too tight spanx combined with those 3 inch high heels. But she may also have a back issue...probably caused by the high heels! 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Meushell said:

That design didn't look like anything special, and I've seen many similar designs before.

So have I. The mother claimed that it was impossible to find anything non-pink for girls, but that's not true. Her designs look a lot like what I see at H&M Kids when I shop for my little cousins.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, chocolatine said:

So have I. The mother claimed that it was impossible to find anything non-pink for girls, but that's not true. Her designs look a lot like what I see at H&M Kids when I shop for my little cousins.

Ah, yes. Forgot to mention that point. Her claim on limited clothing for girls and boys was ridiculous. Even if the stores around her are limited, you can get just about anything online (which I've done when stores don't have what I want).

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I always thought she looked awkward getting up because of the too tight spanx combined with those 3 inch high heels. But she may also have a back issue...probably caused by the high heels! 

I think her back is fine. Robert is being a gentleman. It annoys me a little though I like him. 

Yes! Sandilake clothing is hardly unique.  Etsy is full of stores that sell similar things and from what I've seen her designs are uninspired and not particularly cute.  She got lucky that target copied her and caused her product to go viral.  They actually did her a favor.  

The Safegrabs didn't light my fire either.  When I microwave things I often get sputter from the food and having to clean off this thing is why I just use a paper towel.  I can see how it would be less wasteful, though I just don't think I would use it for other things.  I can see kids folding them up and pouring food off of it.  It just doesn't solve any pressing problems that I have. 

I thought the Sillydog guy was annoying. 

Parker's poise, presentation and preparation (I didn't mean to use all p's) was impressive but only the off shoot products sound interesting. One bottle of maple syrup lasts me a year.  I would buy the butter though. Definitely seems like a Trader Joe's product. 

Edited by Kiss my mutt
Added more text. You're, welcome. :)
  • Love 4
On 10/25/2016 at 0:41 AM, Meushell said:

Anyone a little curious/suspicious about the stolen design story? That design didn't look like anything special, and I've seen many similar designs before. Was it exactly the same, because I can easily picture someone making something extremely similar... only to be screwed over because a bunch of people jumped over the "they are thieves" bandwagon.

If you really want to go back in time, here's some of the social media that gave her the publicity.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/35pq9j/my_friend_who_sells_tshirts_through_etsy_found/

Among the replies there are someone calling out the friend who posted the "theft" for working for a social media marketing company, and someone else pointing out that Sandi Lake itself seems to have stolen images (e.g. the Tootsie Pop Indian).

As for the specialness of the design, well you can see the image. The similarity is obvious, but with a different font and the Target version using a paint style effect. Coincidence or copy, you decide.

Edited by Amarsir
  • Love 1

Design "theft" is such a gray area. Every season there are trends according to which clothes are designed, and many brands come out with similar or identical looking clothes. Even fashion magazines have "wear this trend for less" sections where they showcase similar but cheaper clothing to the designer stuff in their editorials. My aunt used to work for a company that made knock-offs of red carpet dresses that caused the most buzz during award season and sold them to teenage girls as prom dresses.

Design patents do exist, but many brands aren't deterred by them. I've read that Forever 21 deliberately knocks off smaller designers because they know that smaller companies can't afford a court battle.

But the Sandilake woman didn't even have a design patent, so what happened with Target wasn't theft, legally speaking.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Design patents do exist, but many brands aren't deterred by them. 

But the Sandilake woman didn't even have a design patent, so what happened with Target wasn't theft, legally speaking.

It has nothing to do with patents and everything to do with copyright. Copyright protection is automatic in the U.S.

If the design was an exact duplicate it would be a clear case of copyright infringement. There were changes to it - different font, the distressed look - which might make the case a little more tenuous.

But it seems that Target did the right thing, and the entrepreneur got a big publicity boost. That's probably the best outcome she could hope for.

• Love 2
On 10/22/2016 at 11:25 AM, Gregg247 said:

Also, I know Robert is a gentleman, but let Lori get her OWN freebie sample from the contestants.  She's too good to actually lean over and reach for something?

Dress is too tight.

• Love 1