Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: A Matter Of Trust

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I think the boobs are gelling well too, at least better than I thought they would. And so far they have avoided doing that weird shit they did last year when Thea and Felicity were in the same scene for like 16 episodes in a row and didn't talk to each other. There's actual interaction between the boobs.

I'm never stopping calling them boobs.

• Love 16

Before the debate kicks in

The Bad

I hates the power walk at the end. Especially that slow mo explosion bullshit. Sorry took me write out of the scene, very annoying. 

I really don't like Curtis on this team. Evelyn is annoying and they're totally pulling some bullshit with making her a better fighter than she ever was. She wasn't street wise either.

DA Chase's clothes didn't fit,  it annoyed me.

Stardust was fine when he didn't have any lines and just beat people up. However,  he was bad when they tried to give him dialogue. 

The Good

Loved the Oliver/Felicity scenes and the Felicity/Diggle scenes. I also loved the Felicity/Rory scene at the end.

Felicity/EBR looked hot as hell in that blue dress.

I loved seeing Lyla again, i had no idea she'd be in this episode. I still adore Dig/Lyla such a wonderful power couple. 

Loved the Deadshot twist, both of them!. I was so happy it wasn't Flashpoint related that i didn't even expect the final twist.

I loved that we got to hear Felicity's feelings and POV regarding Havenrock.  I'm glad Curtis reiterated that it was Darhk, not Felcity. However, i can totally understand that Felicity will feel that it's her fault. 

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Felicity and Rory interact, now that this season is over.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 12

Cody Rhodes as somebody dealing "stardust", and Oliver thinks a vigilante wearing a hockey mask is cool?  Well, those references had all the subtlety of a jet powered monkey navigated monster truck.

Poor Cody, he can never beat Amell.

Damn you show for giving us Deadshot, and the hope that Barry's time traveling escapades had one awesome effect, and then revealing it was all in Diggle's mind.  Come on man, that's just not right.

• Love 13

So with the drug being called Stardust, I assume this episode was filmed, or at very least written when Mr. And Brandi Rhodes was still in WWE.

Rory looked so much younger than he seemed at the end of last week's episode maybe it was the lighting. I liked that Felicity told Rory, instead of dragging it out for episodes on end.

• Love 5

I still like Rory the best out of the baby vigilantes, and Wild Dog grew on me a little this episode. 

The thing with Dig seeing Floyd Lawton made me think of the season two episode when Oliver was hallucinating and Dig told him that he saw a ghost too right after he left the army. 

I loved Thea's last scene with the reporter. I got shades of Moira. 

Edited by Hiveminder
  • Love 8

A lot was going on but it feels like just about everything was still in set-up mode.  The D.A. and the reporter were introduced.  Maybe there is a reason 506 is titled "So It Begins."

Good:  Oliver/Felicity, Lyla/Diggle, Felicity/Rory, Diggle/Deadshot, Thea/Susan

Of all the noobies, I still like Rory the best.  

• Love 3

I was glad that Felicity listened to Curtis and told Rory the truth about Havenrock. Truth telling is desperately needed on this show and can only improve the relationships. 

Oliver listening Felicity was a nice callback to season three and earlier.  I am sure that the DA will be out to get revenge on Oliver for stealing his girlfriend.

I don't get why Lila cannot use her power as head of Argus to get Diggle out of prison so it must be a plot point.

The rest of the episode was okay. The new team is growing on me. Curtis is so distinctive physically that wearing that mask cracks me the hell up.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Hiveminder said:

I still like Rory the best out of the baby vigilantes, and Wild Dog grew on me a little this episode.  

I still like Wild Dog the best but Rory is growing on me. It's weird Rene is Roy in S2 and Rory is Roy in S3 (snarky funny comments). And they all have R names.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
Just now, looptab said:

This episode was good, I enjoyed it. I don't know if it's because I went in with zero expectations. Might be the way to go, haha.

I think no expectations is the key. I've dreaded all of these eps to the point where I didn't even watch the last one live - and have been entertained by all of them, so...I guess that's the way to go.

• Love 3

First thoughts:

Waaaaay too much of the noobs.  Hate Wild Dog’s use of guns.  It just feels wrong.  It was one thing when John used them coming in back up, but to use it as the front line of defense, nope.  Really hated that he made Evelyn go in without a mask.  Hate Ragman’s voice in the mask.  Curtis is starting to bug me and that’s new for me.  He just wasn’t funny. 

The highlight of the episode was again Oliver and Felicity interacting, but it breaks my heart that “they don’t have that kind of relationship anymore” when clearly, Oliver is willing to listen to Felicity but she doesn’t feel like she can unburden herself on him.   

Where the hell were they training if they only just now showed the new recruits the Bunker?    

So Adrian Chase sure seems like the most likely person behind Prometheus. I mean after all, Ollie stole his girlfriend 12 years ago.  Billy was once again a waste of time.  Wished that arrow had been a bit more on target.  Oh and Felicity, take your own advice.  Don't date.  (just marry Oliver once he has learned better)

Diggle’s storyline was weird.  Something felt off.  Maybe he switched to giving up too quickly?  Also, where did the visions of Deadshot come from? He’d shown no signs of that kind of PTSD before so yeah, it didn’t ring true. 

Cody aka Stardust was as meh as expected.  He was fine.  Moving on. 

• Love 11

I enjoyed this one once again.  I like how the new team is working out.  Diggle wanting to go to jail over what happened with Andy is stupid (as is the John Jr. change) but loved seeing Deadshot again.  I didn't expect the twist either.

Good lord, Thea, how did you not know the reporter was going to play you?  At least she dressed more professionally in this episode.

Rory is definitely the best of the new recruits.

• Love 1
Just now, BkWurm1 said:

Where the hell were they training if they only just now showed the new recruits the Bunker?    

They were at the old HIVE HQ.

Just now, BkWurm1 said:

Diggle’s storyline was weird.  Something felt off.  Maybe he switched to giving up too quickly?  Also, where did the visions of Deadshot come from? He’d shown no signs of that kind of PTSD before so yeah, it didn’t ring true. 

Agreed. Him deciding not to fight the charges for something HE DIDN'T DO to pay for Andy's death is just really stupid. Unsurprising with this show, but really stupid. 

• Love 5

Curtis is weird for me. I like him. I liked some of his scenes with Felicity. I'm not feeling him on the Team. It's too much for me. The whole babble scene with Rory was awkward for me. It was uncomfortably Felicity S1. That being said, I lol'd at the slide over to Felicity and liked their conversation. I guess for me the biggest problem is I don't get why he is there. Comics don't do it for me.

• Love 9

I enjoyed this one once again.  I like how the new team is working out

I looked over my comments and was surprised how negative they read.  I do have issues with the newbies but most of them were during their mission together.  The banter felt out of place.  And I think I know what is bothering me about Curtis, he's not allowed to be competent enough.  If he's this much of a mess, should he be out in the field? 

I'm not warming up to Renee yet.  I like that Oliver is owning his faults but yeah, don't like Wilddog.  Did LOVE that after Oliver yelled at him, Felicity also said something and you suddenly knew that whoa, the dog REALLY screwed up. 

Something else I loved was Felicity's expression when Oliver the Mayor made his "buck stops here" speech.  The pride and appreciation just radiates. 

• Love 4

This ep was... fine? Like it didn't actively make me yell, so that's something. I just find myself not being overly invested in much of anything, minus Felicity and her Havenrock reactions. She's left without any support system minus Curtis, it seems, and it's heartbreaking to hear her say she can't talk to Oliver about it, because that's understandable. She's not someone who overshares the important stuff anyway, and to be that vulnerable with someone who broke her trust so badly... I get why she doesn't tell him.

But I couldn't even get behind Diggle's angst! I wanted to feel sympathy for him, but couldn't... I just wanted him to kind of get over it, and not be an absolute martyr and abandon his wife and kid (SO MAD BECAUSE SARA DIGGLE STILL LIVES, DAMN IT. I had to put up with the corny twist of them naming her after Sara, so she's still alive in my book.)

I just want to feel attached to the show, or care about it, rather than be perpetually unsurprised by the twists -- like Thea and the reporter, or Deadshot being gone. It just all feels like a reset in so many ways, each season, each episode almost. It's hard to care when there's little momentum from season to season. Instead, if this follows the past (seasons 2 and 4), maybe I'll like the first half and then loathe the second half. 

• Love 4

Did Laurel commission tons of outfits or do they keep the bloody one hanging up?

I just really need Diggle back. He is still too far away. I find myself tuning out. I am a little worried about how crowded the lair will feel when they do get him back.  I think we should dump a boob. Curtis or Baby Canary is my pick. Or both. I'll take that too. 

So Reporter girl...super unimpressed? She is like Isabel but like high school mean girl instead of HBIC vibe. The best thing about her appearance was Thea going for the smackdown.

• Love 7

It's official. . . the facial T does not work outside of comics. Nice that Terry Sloane is now synonymous within the franchise. Too bad that fucker Jon Dalton took "Fair Play" and shit all over it.

At least the rookies are gelling, and they probably wouldn't change history for their own ends, Barry. Still don't know the new girl's name, though.

Nice for Deadshot to come back, albeit as a guilt specter. Too bad he couldn't shit on Will Smith like most fans like to do. Here's hoping Diggle's story picks up, because it's super depressing as it is.

Hi, Quentin! Funny that he's working for Oliver, because that would drive anybody to drink. Stereotypical Reporter needs to go away ASAP.

That wasn't ... bad? I actually enjoyed quite a bit of it. Was super concerned with Felicity and Havenrock and that was actually a good start. I laughed at Evelyn calling Oliver and Felicity mommy and daddy. I like Rory, but Rene is still annoying to me. And ITA with folks here who say Curtis seems out of place on the team. Loved the Olicity moments. I'm of 2 minds regarding Digg. I love that DR is getting meaty material, but dude, you have a wife and child!!! Go home!

• Love 8

So, the episode was ok. Not great, but not bad either. 

Not surprising that Diggle and Felicity still feel so strongly over the events of last season, even if I'm not fond of at least Diggle's. I just find that Diggle is blaming himself for something that was really not a hard choice for him to make. People's lives would have been at risk; he had to do what he had to do. I hope he can come to that conclusion very soon. It was nice to see Deadshot again, even if he was just a hallucination. 

The newbs are not great, but not awful either. Ok, Wild Dog is pretty frustrating to watch, Baby Canary has nothing going for her besides a few lines and to fill the female fighter role, and Curtis does not mesh well as a fighter either, but Rory's cool? So at least they got one vigilante right. 

I like Curtis, but not as a fighter. Felicity could always use an extra set of hands behind the scenes and her and Curtis have always worked well together. I'd rather Curtis was with Felicity in the bunker. That way, there are also less vigilantes out on the street, which was the freaking problem last season and apparently, the show didn't listen. We don't need five people out on the field, unless there's an army of villains. 

Thea was definitely channeling Moira in her last scene with the Reporter, which was neat. I just don't know why Thea got played in the first place. At least she learned from it.

Why, hello Adrian Chase. What a random comment about Oliver stealing your girl 12 years ago. I cannot wait to hear the sob backstory during your Prometheus reveal. 

Detective Tiny Hands is just as boring and pointless as he's been the last two episodes. Geez, can Prometheus kill him off for...I don't know, anything? Being in cahoots with the Green Arrow? 

So, Felicity was honest with Rory about Havenrock. I guess we'll see how he reacts. I do really like Rory. His friendship with Curtis is weird, but his character has a good blend of humour and darkness. 

Gregory Smith, maybe tone it back with the slow motion shots? I loved the first one with Oliver pulling Stardust...I mean Cody Rhodes' character Derek into the air with the arrow, but the slow mo explosion was a little much. Otherwise, I'm glad BamBam wasn't directing, because I didn't feel sick from watching the fight scenes this time around. 

And, to finish it off: DAMNIT, BARRY. Lyla/Diggle better conceive a new Sara Diggle by season's end. 

• Love 11

I enjoyed this episode! It wasn't amazing. But it was solid.

I thought it was a good start to Felicity's storyline. It makes sense why she doesn't want to be completely open with Oliver considering everything that happened, so when that barrier is broken and she DOES open up to him... well I can't wait for that haha

The newbies gelled well but IDK, I can still do without Curtis and Evelyn. Sadly, Curtis is Mr. Terrific - a more notable comic book character. 

Thea was awesome in the end. 

Susan's introduction was strange for what we know. You'd think she'd interact with Oliver but it was all with Thea. I'm not a fan, but I wasn't a fan of Isabel either lol Hopefully they make Susan someone I can love to hate and not be someone I bitterly hate.

Diggle/Deadshot were great. I'm happy Diggle has a good arc, and I hope it doesn't end as soon as he gets back. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 6

Diggle wanting to abandon his wife and kid to plead guilty for a crime he didn't commit is ridiculous.  Not to mention the stigma his kid would have by having an army father being convicted of murder and treason. 

• Love 16
2 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Wild Dog grew on me this episode. That surprised me after the last episode.

Yeah, a little humility worked for him. I think Ragman is my fave, Wild Dog is growing on me, Evelyn is just kind of there, and Curtis just...I like Felicity's occasional one-liners on the comms, but I don't think the babbling/comic relief works well in the field, so Curtis just isn't working for me as-is. Hoping that's just growing pains and they'll get in the swing of things soon. 

• Love 6

I thought Ragman asking Curtis if it was the whispers that made him creepy and that he didn't know how that happened was pretty funny. 

The Oliver/Felicity scenes are so great. Whatever on the whole "no Olicity" thing, Show.

Saint Laurel did not garner a mention. Finally.

Also really glad that Felicity told Ragman the deal about Havenrock. 

• Love 10

I loved Thea channeling Moira and being all "I'll burn your world to ashes. "

Loved Felicity, especially in the sky blue dress.   But also when she knows what Oliver is gonna do.   Or when she confessed to Rory.

Who is Roy with an extra R btw.   I'd rather have Colton Roy but I'll take Rory, at least he has a personality that I enjoy.   Unlike Curtis, who I honestly hate more every show. It's not Echo's fault.   Making a caricature erm character called Mr Terrific.   He's too perfect and I can't root for that. 

Yay!!!  Hi Deadshot!!  I've missed you so.   Sorry that Will Smith stole your role,which you do better.  Don't worry, I know you really survived the blast and are just laying low. 

• Love 3

So, Curtis, Evelyn and Rene look like they're getting some fight training. But how do you train Ragman? Like what does Rory actually do at the HIVE bunker aside from watch DVDs of Oliver's interrogations? I actually like him, but that maybe residual affection for playing Patterson's boyfriend David on Blindspot.

• Love 1

Three good episodes in a row, Arrow?

Yikes. Keep this up and I might actually start to come into episodes with high expectations again, and we all know how that goes.

Good things:

1. Diggle plot. Diggle's refusal to believe that Deadshot could come back to life, after Diggle has watched at least two, arguably three people come back to life (Malcolm and Sara, arguably Oliver) cracked me up so much that I completely missed the twist. But that was great - it's not surprising that Diggle would start cracking after four years of hanging out with Oliver, killing his brother and then completely failing to find balance and order in the military.

Also, Lyla and Diggle remain one of the best couples on the Arrowverse.

2. Also, YAY DEADSHOT, if a bit of BARRY YOU SUCK again for changing other things through Flashpoint, but not that.

3. Bratva plot. This twist, I saw coming, but Oliver didn't, so that was fun. I thought these flashbacks were much more smoothly integrated into the plot than last week's THUMP THUMP we shall have the newbies hit bells to make sure that the flashbacks are connected to the theme/plot of the episode.  See, Arrow? Huge and obvious props aren't always necessary to connect the present day and flashbacks!

4. Thea starting to channel her inner Moira Queen, YAY! Really liked her last scene with the reporter.

5. Oliver stepping up and taking responsibility for his office staff and giving Quentin a reason to stay in the show!

6. And speaking of the Oliver as Mayor plot, did I see actual - wait for it - plot continuity on a small matter as Oliver's security detail, brought up in a previous episode, appeared on this one, complaining about the way Oliver keeps ditching them?

7. Both Wild Dog and Ragman are growing on me. Even with Ragman pausing a major fight scene to discuss masks with Curtis.  The rag effects look pretty cool.

8. And speaking of looking pretty cool, although I could have done without the pause for slow-mo there, the group fight scenes seem to have massively improved. 

9. While I'm discussing fight scenes, glad to see that strategic Oliver is back. WE MISSED YOU, STRATEGIC THINKING OLIVER. Also yay on the tendon cutting scenes. Admittedly, vigilantes cutting tendons is probably not something I should be celebrating, but watching Oliver think his way past his opponents with a stunt like that is something that I'm glad to see on Arrow again. 

10. And yet another strong Oliver/Felicity scene in an episode that supposedly wasn't going to have any Olicity. 

11. Also liked that Oliver is still dealing with major leadership issues - a sign that for all of Arrow's HOW CAN WE SPEED THROUGH THIS PLOT EVEN FASTER mentality, it is taking the time again to make sure that at least some major character flaws/issues aren't solved too quickly.

11. And yay, the humor is still back, with Deadshot, Oliver, Felicity, Ragman, and Curtis all getting off decent lines.

12. Speaking of humor, Oliver's version of training this time around = watching him run around and shoot things and threaten people. Hee.

13. The wrestling jokes were sorta lost on me since I don't watch that, but Cody Rhodes seemed to be having a lot of fun with this, and despite my issues with the choice of set, that hospital fight was pretty well done.

14. And although yes, it was telegraphed a mile away, Wild Dog inadvertently making the villain more powerful was a fun twist.

15. Also yay, yet another episode which actually managed to work all four of the plots and nearly all of the characters (except Evelyn), right down to the new DA and Mayo Cop, into the overall theme of trust.  This is the sort of thing that Arrow can do well; I just hope it continues.

Questionable things:

1. As much as I liked the Diggle plot, I have to ask: how did Lyla go from only being able to speak to Diggle from behind glass, to being able to visit his cell directly?  If the second was because she's the director of ARGUS, then why can't she just get him out of jail?

2. Another episode with Evelyn just kinda there. She is going to get a personality eventually, right?

3. Mayo Cop is trying to help out Green Arrow? That's.....no, character's still boring. 

4. Cannot believe that the new DA thinks that the morale problems at his office stem from budget cuts and not the tiny tiny tiny little problem that every single DA or ADA on Arrow gets kidnapped or killed at some point. Salary and office expenses really aren't the problems here, Mr. Chase.

5. And still speaking of the new DA, so glad to see that Arrow's subtlety is back, when in an episode about TRUST, Adrian mostly remembers that Oliver slept with his girlfriend twelve years ago.  Yeah, this isn't going to create a later rivalry/problem or anything.

6. I'm waiting to see how the Felicity Havenrock plot continues before I say too much more. I do like that it only took one episode for her to agree to tell Ragman the truth, and that Curtis immediately pointed out that the bad guy there was named Damien Darhk, not Felicity Smoak, and that we are seeing some of the repercussions from this. I also liked that this episode gave a nice balance between snarking Felicity and not handling her guilt at all well Felicity.

On the other hand - this episode moved so quickly that it was difficult to notice that Felicity was having difficulties interacting with Ragman, and we didn't get a lot of time to focus on her thought process.  I'm hoping we get more focus on this.

7. Liked the conversation about it, but definitely not a fan of Curtis' mask. Or his jacket. You need to talk to Cisco now, Curtis.

8. Felicity saying that dating while being on Team Arrow is not recommended.

Er. Ouch. FROM THE ANVILS FALLING ON MY HEAD.

9. Is anyone else feeling increasingly worried about Curtis' husband Paul, and also wondering how long it will take Paul to start checking out traffic reports?

10. You bring in a Green Lantern character and otherwise NEVER EVEN HINT at Green Lantern? Arrow, you're just trying to hurt me at this point.

Bad things:

1. Holy homages, Arrow! Look, Arrow, if you're going to rip off Batman, I at least need you to NOT USE THE SAME CAMERA ANGLES. I mean, there's homages, and then there's restaging an iconic scene from Tim Burton's Batman, only without Batman and in a much smaller, much less elaborate and much greyer set, complete with the evil guy rising from the chemical tank completely transformed only a lot less manic than Jack Nicholson, in virtually the EXACT SAME CAMERA ANGLES from both the catwalk and the floor below, which just emphasized HOW SMALL AND CHEAP THE SET WAS IN COMPARISON, all of which made this the hands down most pathetic attempt to restage a scene and camera shot since, oh, yes, two episodes ago when you decided to steal an iconic Wizard of Oz shot. 

I appreciate that your directors and camera people love the same movies that I do, but let us NEVER do this again. 

2. Is there any possible way we can get a new alleyway for this show? Any possible way? I am very tired of this alley.

3. And speaking of sets I am tired of, Arrow, Flash, it is increasingly difficult to suspend my disbelief when I see Iris trying to roll a patient down a hospital hallway to escape a falling tanker on Tuesday night and then see Oliver fighting a chemically enhanced guy in that same hospital hallway on Wednesday night. 

4. As I said, I liked the episode, apart from the Tim Burton ripoff moment, but once again, this was an episode with way too much plot, with the result that, once again, several scenes that needed time to breathe - especially the early Deadshot/Diggle moments, but also, Oliver's scenes with Wild Dog. More than that, a couple of plots felt truncated - as much as I liked Thea's last scene with Susan, I think that scene would have worked far better if we'd had a few more scenes with the two of them. I've mentioned Felicity above; I think we needed more scenes of her having difficulties interacting with Ragman and Havenrock. The goons seemed to join Stardust really quickly. I know, after four seasons, that it's a bit too much to hope that this show will stop burning through plot at high speed, but maybe, just maybe, I can hope that it will stop cramming so much plot into a single episode.

• Love 16

I was kind of meh about this episode. My favorite part was Felicity telling Rory about Havenrock because OMG SOMEONE HUG FELICITY. 

My second favorite part was Thea laying some Moira smack down vibes on the reporter. Yaaaaaaas. She was super naive about thinking the reporter would just be totes cool, really Thea you're the daughter or Malcolm Mervyn and Moira Queen. I wish the reporter would end up being some kind of antagonist for Thea. 

Edited by Password
Because Roy and Rory are two different characters.
  • Love 3

I think I might be in the minority in that I really don't think Wild Dog will grow on me. There's stubborn and then there's being an idiot, and he's very much falling on the idiot side for me. 

I do like Rory, and I like how his story with Felicity is going. We didn't really see much of him last week so I'm glad we're seeing more of his personality. Evelyn is just... there. Her combat skills are a bit ridiculous considering she's only 16 and her only training is gym. It makes sense when jumping from buildings, not so much when punching bad guys. 

Curtis's mask was pointless. It just looked like a bit of black facepaint, you could still very clearly see it was him. I liked him in his scene with Felicity, but every thing else was just no. 

Do NOT like the reporter. I just wanted her to go away during the entire episode. 

The new ADA really should get a proper pair of trousers, and learn to walk properly too. 

I did like the Diggle storyline, though I did find the ending a bit of a stretch. I love Lyla and I can't wait for next week because breaking Diggle out of prison is should be super fun!

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Loved the Oliver/Felicity scenes and the Felicity/Diggle scenes. I also loved the Felicity/Rory scene at the end.

Wait, when did this happen? Do you mean Lyla/Diggle?

6 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Oh and Felicity, take your own advice.  Don't date. 

This was honestly the first time something sparked interest in me about her "relationship". Also, the fact that Malone has now been in all three episodes makes me think they're planning to use him for more than that. It's a lot.

1 hour ago, Password said:

I was kind of meh about this episode. My favorite part was Felicity telling Roy about Havenrock because OMG SOMEONE HUG FELICITY. 

Man, I found it so sad that she chose to do it when neither Oliver nor Curtis were around. But all the kudos on having the guts to go through with it.

Wild Dog is the dumb. Seriously, dude. And nice team work with dragging Evelyn into the fight without letting her know and without her mask. Bonus on ratting her out to Oliver later. Why are they acting like he has a leg to stand on? I'm betting he's the noob who bites it before the end of the season. I was mostly whelmed by Rory this time around after loving him in his first showing, up until his and Felicity's scene. He didn't really get to do that much, but I still like the actor, he's always present in scenes even when the focus isn't on him.

I'm kind of glad that Thea messed up royally. I hope it means we're done with the pretext of her handling the entire city instead of Oliver. No. 

It's not a bad episode, but it felt more like an intro into next week.

• Love 2