Type keyword(s) to search

Donald John Trump: 2016 President-Elect

5 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

It's clear that people are worried about how his fans are going to react when he loses, but I think most of them will grouse for a few days and then go back to their regular lives.  This is no social movement; it's all bread and circuses.   Maybe afterwards his supporters will be inspired to work for social/political/economic change themselves instead of expecting some creepy orange man to do it for them.

I hope you're right.

I worry that his fans are more than fans. Rather they appear to be acolytes sharing an ideology of hatred, immorality and worse. 

The Tea Party didn't go home to lick their wounds. And all the incumbents now kissing Donald's ass will "owe" these ideologues something. 

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 7

I woke up in a decent mood this morning and then I read this

And if Trump doesn’t win, some are even openly talking about violent rebellion and assassination, as fantastical and unhinged as that may seem. 

“If she’s in office, I hope we can start a coup. She should be in prison or shot. That’s how I feel about it,” Dan Bowman, a 50-year-old contractor, said of Hillary Clinton, the Democratic nominee. “We’re going to have a revolution and take them out of office if that’s what it takes. There’s going to be a lot of bloodshed. But that’s what it’s going to take. . . . I would do whatever I can for my country.”

Another Trump supporter:

“The media is indeed sick, and it’s making our country sick, and we’re going to stop it,” he said

And another:

“Watch your polling booths,” [Trump] warned. 

His supporters are heeding the call. 

“Trump said to watch you precincts. I’m going to go, for sure,” said Steve Webb, a 61-year-old carpenter from Fairfield, Ohio. 

“I’ll look for . . . well, it’s called racial profiling. Mexicans. Syrians. People who can’t speak American,” he said. “I’m going to go right up behind them. I’ll do everything legally. I want to see if they are accountable. I’m not going to do anything illegal. I’m going to make them a little bit nervous.”

And finally:

“This is my prediction: Trump is going to win the popular vote by a landslide, and the Electoral College will elect Hillary, because of all the corruption,” he said. “Maybe it’ll all work and restore my faith in humanity. But I doubt it.”

Um, sir? That's not how the Electoral College works.

Make no mistake, HRC will be the next President of the United States. And the media needs to shove Trump and his ilk into the dustbins of history.

^^There are a bunch of quotes in my post above -- not sure why they're not all hiding under quote tabs!

I find it plain scary for humanity's sake. I was a tween when JFK was assassinated and an impressionable middle teen when RFK died as well as MLK. I remember those events vividly and how disgusted I was at how anyone could resort to that kind of action. 

Those folks that were quoted are frightening to think that violence is the answer to anything. 

• Love 14

Expect more of these guys leading up to and on Election Day:

Armed Trump Supporters Protest In Front Of Democrat’s Campaign Office

Armed guy stands with Trump signs on his truck stares for almost 12 hours into a Democrat's campaign office and says, '“He might be pulling out, but we’re not pulling out, and I’m gonna stand my ground and speak out for what I believe in,” he said.' 

(bolding mine for emphasis). 

Did I have to say he's white or did the complete lack of hysteria, police presence, or arrest give that away? 

And speaking (upthread) of Alec Baldwin, I suddenly noticed an explosion of Tim Kaine tweets, accusing him of yelling at his daughter. Yeah, Trump supporters are trying to pass off that disturbing 2007 recorded message of Baldwin yelling at his daughter as Kaine. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, b2H said:

It is all optics.  People see his gold plated residence and are convinced that he is who he looks to be.

John Mulaney used to have a joke in his first stand up special about Donald Trump that weirdly still works now. It's about how Donald Trump is a hobo's idea of what a rich man should look like:

"Donald Trump is like what a hobo imagines a rich man to be.  Like Trump was walking around under an underpass, and he heard some guy like 'Ohh, as soon as my number comes in, I'm gonna put up tall buildings with my name on 'em! I'll have fine golden hair, and a tv show where I fire Gene Simmons with my children.' And Trump was like 'That is how I will live my life.'"

Never has a joke been so accurate. 

• Love 23
9 hours ago, lordonia said:

Votes in favor of the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002

• 96% of Republican Representatives
  • 98% of Republican Senators
  • 39% of Democratic Representatives
  • 58% of Democratic Senators

Oh facts -schmacts!  The Donald lives in a Fact Free World!

8 hours ago, backformore said:

From the Daily show: 

One man's sexual assault is another man's flirtation.

I really wonder how these men and the spineless politicians who think it wasn't assault would feel if another man grabbed their junk? 

6 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Beyond the fact that the man is a liar, a sexual predator and a bigot, he is astonishingly incurious and ignorant. 

I would hate to hear his thoughts on a wider-range of topics.  The fact that he has been essentially absent of any real policy proposals (other than "they're great!") is a blessing for me since he already broke my brain with his vile spewings of hate - build a wall! bomb the hell out of ISIS! take out the terrorist families! deport everyone who doesn't look like me (or agree with me)!.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Darian said:

And on election day we can be concerned about Trump's not-so-merry band of pollwatchers.

'Pennsylvania state Representative Rick Saccone, a Republican, is trying to pass a bill before Election Day that would loosen rules restricting poll watchers to their own counties. Critics say letting observers travel anywhere in the state raises the possibility of white election monitors intimidating voters in minority areas, but Saccone dismisses that: “The notion that there will be roving bands of poll watchers disrupting elections is just nonsense.”'

At least the WSJ is somewhat reassuring.

And it appears that every single outlet does report there's pretty much no such thing as voter fraud, o grate orange one.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 8

So I was canvassing for Amanda Howland (she's running to unseat that repulsive piece of trash Peter Roskam in IL 6th congressional district) last Saturday in my parent's precinct and I was on the next street over from them talking to an older white straight couple about Amanda and what they told me was chilling.

They said they were voting for Trump because of the Access Hollywood video and mind you they live in a one story modest house that is next door to a mansion. Like all Trump supporters they make no sense. Maybe they're mad that they live in a small house amidst mansions on the street but their statements defy logic. This is what we're dealing with and its terrifying.

• Love 9
15 minutes ago, maraleia said:

So I was canvassing for Amanda Howland (she's running to unseat that repulsive piece of trash Peter Roskam in IL 6th congressional district) last Saturday in my parent's precinct and I was on the next street over from them talking to an older white straight couple about Amanda and what they told me was chilling.

They said they were voting for Trump because of the Access Hollywood video and mind you they live in a one story modest house that is next door to a mansion. Like all Trump supporters they make no sense. Maybe they're mad that they live in a small house amidst mansions on the street but their statements defy logic. This is what we're dealing with and its terrifying.

I was mortified when I found out that some of my own family members were voting for Trump. I was speechless. I think what it comes down to is this. Every time we hear or see something he has done to mock handicapped people, to disparage or even molest women, to demonize Muslims, to diminish hispanics and blacks, we're dumbstruck and think "wow, that's horrible and he's a very bad person".  But, every time we think he has gone too far, he has actually found a direct link to the dark heart of the American psyche. His followers are people that love hating others and now they don't have to pretend anymore that they don't because that open hatred of others is extremely liberating for them.

• Love 24
1 hour ago, HumblePi said:

I was mortified when I found out that some of my own family members were voting for Trump. I was speechless. I think what it comes down to is this. Every time we hear or see something he has done to mock handicapped people, to disparage or even molest women, to demonize Muslims, to diminish hispanics and blacks, we're dumbstruck and think "wow, that's horrible and he's a very bad person".  But, every time we think he has gone too far, he has actually found a direct link to the dark heart of the American psyche. His followers are people that love hating others and now they don't have to pretend anymore that they don't because that open hatred of others is extremely liberating for them.

Okay, but for your own sanity (and maybe future relations with them), you have to think about the reasons. The real ones I mean. Are there some who simply buy into the more hateful end of things? Sure. But not all. 

There are a small amount of people who still somehow truly believe he's some kind of force for change. Some believe he truly means what he says. Others don't necessarily, but have absorbed so much contempt for our current political system that they're willing to count anarchy (a best case for Trump, vs. dictatorship) as a better option than the system staying the same. 

But those are just two small sub-categories of who remains with Trump. The bulk of his support boils down to this: people who on some level believe that certain core issues (abortion, immigration, the definition of marriage, gun control and perhaps even religion in schools) are what matters more than anything else. They want to either change or protect the current status on each of those, and are following a belief that Clinton will appoint Supreme Court Judges that will take away their guns and let lots of "terrorists" in (well that one is more Congress and the President). And also, that they'll miss the opportunity to protect what they believe the Bible says about abortion and gay marriage by undoing the current rulings on those. 

And even though I don't agree with them on ANY of those things, I can understand that what they're doing is to them literally what they think is saving souls from burning in Hell.

Even so... why are there still so many screaming maniacs at Trump rallies? Because people often talk themselves into a frenzy to escape feeling conflicted about a choice. There must be some parable about using a Sinner to do God's work, because I suppose that's how some of them must regard Trump now, but many of them are more in denial than that.  Once you've put that much energy and devotion into a cause it's not easy to back off from it.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 12
10 hours ago, backformore said:

Just a week ago, Trump had a publicity stunt where he gathered a bunch of women who accused Bill Clinton of indiscretions (I won't say assaults, because it's not the case for all of them).   Trump said that women's accusations should be listened to, they should be respected and believed.  

Now, a number of women have accused him of sexual assault, harassment, unwanted advances.    But Trump says they are lying. 

ANd the worst part of it is that he, and his supporters, don't see the hypocrisy.

I would feel better about 36% of my fellow Americans if I could hear from  a few people who say they supported Trump and then realized the hypocrisy (about the sexual abuse stuff, about releasing tax returns, calling others liars, even if was just about complaining about interrupting) and that made them stop supporting Trump. 

I need to invent a way to reverse time , so I could have Trump win and within a few months all the Trump supporters would realize that he was never "one of them" and his plans were not to their benefit.  Then I would have them somehow retain this information an reverse time to Nov 8 and Hillary would would win by a landslide Trump would never be heard from again

36 minutes ago, HumblePi said:

I was pulling up to a red light the other day - I was the only car in the right lane and there 3 cars already stopped in the left lane.  As I esaed up to the line, a woman on a bike rode between 2 of the cars in the left lane and was headed right in front of my car.  She yelled and had a shocked look on her face, then she continued to cross in front of me while flipping me off.  She was the one that didn't follow the law, and, although she was obviously surprised by my car, she somehow expected me to see her on her bike .  I didn't say anything to her, as I wasn't about to follow her down the side street, but if I had the opportunity, I would have said "You need to stop blaming others for your stupidity."

Then I realize that it is the same thing I want to say to Trump and to his supporters.  Stop blaming others for your stupidity.

For example, Trump thinks he gets to give rebuttals to Hillary's rebuttals during the debate.  He "answers" the question with something off topic, she rebuts with an on topic reply, then he tries to give a rebuttal to her answer, then whines because the moderators tell him that they need to move on to the next question. 

And the Trump supporters want to blame the Mexicans or the Democrats or government or Blacks or... (the list is too long) for theirs lives not being where they want them to be.  

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Okay, but for your own sanity (and maybe future relations with them), you have to think about the reasons. The real ones I mean. Are there some who simply buy into the more hateful end of things? Sure. But not all. 

There are a small amount of people who still somehow truly believe he's some kind of force for change. Some believe he truly means what he says. Others don't necessarily, but have absorbed so much contempt for our current political system that they're willing to count anarchy (a best case for Trump, vs. dictatorship) as a better option that the system staying the same. 

But those are just two small sub-categories of who remains with Trump. The bulk of his support boils down to this: people who on some level believe that certain core issues (abortion, immigration, the definition of marriage, gun control and perhaps even religion in schools) are what matters more than anything else. They want to either change or protect the current status on each of those, and are following a belief that Clinton will appoint Supreme Court Judges that will take away their guns and let lots of "terrorists" in (well that one is more Congress and the President). And also, that they'll miss the opportunity to protect what they believe the Bible says about abortion and gay marriage by undoing the current rulings on those. 

And even though I don't agree with them on ANY of those things, I can understand that what they're doing is to them literally what they think is saving souls from burning in Hell.

Even so... why are there still so many screaming maniacs at Trump rallies? Because people often talk themselves into a frenzy to escape feeling conflicted about a choice. There must be some parable about using a Sinner to do God's work, because I suppose that's how some of them must regard Trump now, but many of them are more in denial than that.  Once you've put that much energy and devotion into a cause it's not easy to back off from it.

You're absolutely right. Once Trump supporters have committed vehemently and solidly, there's almost no turning back and still 'saving face'. It takes a very big person to peacefully and graciously accept that the person they were so passionate about didn't win despite their uncontrollable emotions and raised fists. These people have heard nothing but sound bites, bumper slogans and billboard signs of what Donald Trumps actual policies would be. Sure, he panders to his base as all politicians do. "I will bring back jobs to Detroit"  "I will keep all Muslims out so they don't kill us"  "I will lower your income taxes"  "I will built a wall to keep illegals out of this country"  "I will get rid of the EPA because climate change is a myth created by the Chinese".  "I will get rid of Obamacare and replace it with something else". Donald Trump has a lot of "I will's", as if he alone can do any of this. He has made more than 76 campaign promises so far.

So these are nothing more than sound bites, they aren't explained in any way at all. I would like to hear an interview one-to-one with each candidate and have these questions asked of them and expect them to answer.

How will you get Mexico to pay for the wall when they've already basically said they won't?

If you lower our income taxes, wouldn't that create a huge bubble and inflation?

If you abolish the EPA, who will protect the earth from devastating effects of pollution?

If you abolish Obamacare, what will you replace it with and why would it better?

The bottom line is that when either candidate pushes out a new slogan and promise we want to know HOW their policies will be implemented and who will be implementing them?

• Love 7

yesterday, Trump was yelling about the election being rigged.  I had the image of a 4 year old boy, playing a board game with his sister.  When he realizes that he's not going to win, his face turns red, he holds back tears, and says " No fair!! she cheats!"

Trump isn't used to losing. He's used to playing a game where he controls the rules.  

• Love 16

So on the news yesterday I heard about the "militia" (3 men, obviously Trump supporters) who were just arrested as terrorists and charged with planning murder. The FBI "sting" caught them, said they were 100% serious in their commitment to their plan--which was to bomb and destroy an entire apartment building of Somali refugees in Kansas.  They were timing it for November 9th "to make a statement". Luckily the FBI had an informant there, but it does frighten me about the other unhinged Trump supporters who want to "take back their country" with violence.

I know reports say his people share a few qualities--anti-authority OR anti-establishment, often demographically isolated so they don't have much contact with minorities, etc.  Then there's the hatred of Hillary specifically and a general misogyny, too.

I think that some practice "selective hearing", too, because that's the only way I can understand some people I know who like him and hate her and whom I don't think of as hateful. (Not very big "critical thinkers" imo, but not extremists).  I think the permission he's given others to hate is very invigorating for some. Like the Nuremberg rallies. They should watch.  

• Love 18

It infuriates me, but I try not to let it, when he tells them "We're taking back our country for 'We the People'". Does he even understand what that means? What about the 50% of "the people" who oppose you? When he says people protesting at his rallies are "terrible people, they're horrible people" and promises "We're going to have a united country" (to great cheers), what's going to happen to all of his critics, including the press--whom he called "horrible and disgusting" yesterday? They're not being won over by the hatred.  There's not enough room at Guantanamo for all of us. What's his plan? 

I wish Chris Wallace would ask the half dozen questions I have for Trump (including several about the Constitution), but I know he won't ask any of them. It's going to be wikileaks, emails...maybe Benghazi.......

• Love 5
1 hour ago, HumblePi said:

You're absolutely right. Once Trump supporters have committed vehemently and solidly, there's almost no turning back and still 'saving face'. It takes a very big person to peacefully and graciously accept that the person they were so passionate about didn't win despite their uncontrollable emotions and raised fists. These people have heard nothing but sound bites, bumper slogans and billboard signs of what Donald Trumps actual policies would be. Sure, he panders to his base as all politicians do. "I will bring back jobs to Detroit"  "I will keep all Muslims out so they don't kill us"  "I will lower your income taxes"  "I will built a wall to keep illegals out of this country"  "I will get rid of the EPA because climate change is a myth created by the Chinese".  "I will get rid of Obamacare and replace it with something else". Donald Trump has a lot of "I will's", as if he alone can do any of this. He has made more than 76 campaign promises so far.

So these are nothing more than sound bites, they aren't explained in any way at all. I would like to hear an interview one-to-one with each candidate and have these questions asked of them and expect them to answer.

How will you get Mexico to pay for the wall when they've already basically said they won't?

If you lower our income taxes, wouldn't that create a huge bubble and inflation?

If you abolish the EPA, who will protect the earth from devastating effects of pollution?

If you abolish Obamacare, what will you replace it with and why would it better?

The bottom line is that when either candidate pushes out a new slogan and promise we want to know HOW their policies will be implemented and who will be implementing them?

It doesn't help that this country legitimately IS in trouble.

That Hillary Clinton legitimately IS pretty shady in many ways.

That if we are being TOTALLY honest with ourselves (and thus not as self-deluding as the TrumpNation) that the timing of stuff like the PussyGate tape coming out, as well as now all of the followups is no accident. It's not some vast leftie conspiracy of course as much as honest to goodness Opposition Research which the Democratic Party did a months ago (maybe even as early as Trump entering the race) which they used as a P.R. bomb when needed. It's not unfair as TrumpNation says. It doesn't make the information wrong, or any kind of lie. It's probably not even a distraction technique as they accuse, because ultimately nothing that scumbag Assange has really merits a distraction (the whole idea that Hillary was "hiding" something by having emails she didn't hand over conveniently and transparently ignores the 100% verifiable fact that the warrant for the emails (which is publicly view-able) ONLY asked for emails on FOUR specific topics and not anything else). 

Anyway, the point is that that the people supporting Trump to the death already have a tendency to willingly blind themselves, and then hang the fact that there are plenty of legit gripes as if they outrank what's wrong with Trump (and it's not even close). Hillary at worst is standard Washington corrupt. Plenty of backrooms and casual political lies and political backstabbing involved. The country itself in in big trouble due to decisions that go all the way back to Bush Senior, and maybe even Ronald Reagan (and got infinitely worse under Dubya Bush), but it's always easiest to try and pin troubles on the last one "in". 

And the Opp Research and the careful timing of that? Heck, even though I said before it was the Democratic Party who did it, it could have just as easily been the Republicans, hoping against hope it would drive Trump to quit and they could in the 11th hour put up another candidate and snatch a victory from the jaws of defeat. They easily could have been THAT desperate, because he was already going to lose even before PussyGate (and if he won, would likely either blow up the planet, lose the US every single ally we have, or at best destroy the Republican party the REST of the way). 

Even if MOST of what Trump and his lackeys accused Clinton of were somehow magically true, she's STILL be a better choice than a lunatic.  Petty corruption vs. insanity? I know which I'd chose. 

• Love 10
31 minutes ago, Padma said:

It infuriates me, but I try not to let it, when he tells them "We're taking back our country for 'We the People'". Does he even understand what that means?

Trump has proved on several occasions that he either hasn't read the Constitution, or if he did, doesn't comprehend it. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

I woke up in a decent mood this morning and then I read this:

All these idiots are doing is putting themselves on the FBI Domestic Terrorist Watch List.  Which is fine, because it's apparently where they belong.  For all Trump's talk about Muslims and Syrians and Mexicans coming in to wreak havoc, it is people like that contractor and carpenter and their cousins playing soldier in the woods who are the real threat.

3 hours ago, Darian said:

Armed Trump Supporters Protest In Front Of Democrat’s Campaign Office

<snip>

Did I have to say he's white or did the complete lack of hysteria, police presence, or arrest give that away?

Yes, those two would have been arrested or given the bum's rush pretty quickly if they were black, or Arab.

• Love 5

Yes, unfortunately that's the more likely scenario.

8 minutes ago, Kromm said:

The country itself in in big trouble due to decisions that go all the way back to Bush Senior, and maybe even Ronald Reagan (and got infinitely worse under Dubya Bush), but it's always easiest to try and pin troubles on the last one "in". 

I'd say Reagan.  His trickle down economic policies, his defense spending, his cultivation of fervent evangelists, his assaults on worker and environmental protections (some of which were put in place by Nixon!).  I could go on but won't.  It's too depressing.

• Love 13
On 10/15/2016 at 7:47 AM, Grommet said:

A thoughtful commentator on All In pointed out that the republicans helped create this by constantly saying that government doesn't work.

This article in the Washington Post gives a history of political partisanship and concludes that, yeah, basically it's the Republicans.

Mostly what I don't understand amid all the enmity is why the right hates Obama so much when the man hasn't been allowed to do anything as President. The ACA was pushed through, but then, I also don't get the enmity towards that by Trump or his supporters. I'm sure some of them, like me, now have health insurance when we previously could not any because of pre-existing conditions.

23 hours ago, NewDigs said:

And it appears that every single outlet does report there's pretty much no such thing as voter fraud, o grate orange one.

I don't believe in voter fraud by individuals but absolutely believe in institutional errors, incompetence and mismanagement. Whenever there's a recount in close elections, the counts are always different. How is that possible, if procedures are being followed? The hanging chad will haunt us forever. I voted by mail again this year and genuinely don't even know if my ballot will be thrown away.

"Yet votes cast by mail are less likely to be counted, more likely to be compromised and more likely to be contested than those cast in a voting booth, statistics show. Election officials reject almost 2 percent of ballots cast by mail, double the rate for in-person voting."

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 3

According to Huffington Post, Trump is now saying that Hillary was all pumped up at the start of the last debate, and then could barely reach her car.  He contends that she must have been on performance enhancing drugs.  He's suggesting that they be tested for drugs before the next debate.  

Interesting, since a few people have suggested, (some joking) that his sniffing might have been caused by doing a little cocaine before the debate.

• Love 15

Reading this Boston Globe article about the insane leader and his angry violent followers http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/politics/2016/10/15/donald-trump-warnings-conspiracy-rig-election-are-stoking-anger-among-his-followers/LcCY6e0QOcfH8VdeK9UdsM/story.html

The cowardice of Republican leaders is incredible.  Where ARE these people, standing up to him and speaking some sense to the nation? Ryan, laughing and giggling at the even last weekend was disgraceful.  I know he's their fair-haired boy, the heir apparent in 2020. 

He doesn't deserve it.  Where's the leadership, GOP?  How do you remain so silent and complicit with this dangerous monster now exposed for all to see? I thought the Huffpo was overdoing it with their end statement on every Trump article this year. Now I see they were right.

Where is the Republican leadership on this? They apparently are a big bunch of cowards who can't put country ahead of their own careers.

ETA: I know Dean was criticized (rightly) for suggesting that Trump might use cocaine. However, it IS a very perfect drug for him--gives lots of energy, a grandiose sense of self, you don't need to sleep (he notoriously doesn't), it's well suited to the very rich and was very very prevalent and status-y in his early years in high end Manhattan clubs.  I'm not ruling it out.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 15
5 minutes ago, backformore said:

According to Huffington Post, Trump is now saying that Hillary was all pumped up at the start of the last debate, and then could barely reach her car.  He contends that she must have been on performance enhancing drugs.  He's suggesting that they be tested for drugs before the next debate.  

Interesting, since a few people have suggested, (some joking) that his sniffing might have been caused by doing a little cocaine before the debate.

Frankly since paranoia is one of the results of cocaine use... it's seeming more and more possible the crazier what comes out of his mouth gets.

Hey, here's a new bit on Trump: Rapper Lil Jon Responds to Claims Donald Trump Called Him ‘Uncle Tom’ During ‘The Apprentice’

Jon claims Trump probably didn't know what "Uncle Tom" really meant, but in many ways that's even worse. He WAS told it was offensive though and continued using it despite that.

And this is right on the heels of a report on how he labeled Marlee Matlin as "retarded".

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Hey, here's a new bit on Trump: Rapper Lil Jon Responds to Claims Donald Trump Called Him ‘Uncle Tom’ During ‘The Apprentice’

Jon claims Trump probably didn't know what "Uncle Tom" really meant, but in many ways that's even worse. He WAS told it was offensive though and continued using it despite that.

And this is right on the heels of a report on how he labeled Marlee Matlin as "retarded".

According to the articles, MANY producers told him over and over exactly what it meant--and also that it was a racial insult which, even if he couldn't grasp "the concept" of the character seems sufficient reason to stop. But he wouldn't stop doing it.

Added detail was that it was in a challenge where Lil Jon dressed as Uncle Sam.  The producers couldn't get him to stop calling him Uncle Tom instead of Uncle Sam. Really? Even those, like me, who think he's very stupid, surely think he knows who Uncle Sam is.  No reason for confusion there--unless, of course, you think its funny to make a racial slur because you can. Just like its funny to call someone who's deaf "retarded".  So presidential.

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, backformore said:

That's his whole M.O. "I know you are but what am I?" "I'm rubber and you're glue" "neener neener neener" ad nauseum. Sam Bee was right when she called him a seventy year old toddler. Presidential, my ass.

• Love 18

I'm doing a re-watch of one of my favorite shows, Veronica Mars, and in the season 2 finale , Veronica and her father are talking about their post-graduation trip to New York, and Veronica says she's packed her pepper spray in case they run into that Trump character.   Ten years ago - we should have listened to Veronica.  After all, she is smarter than us. 

• Love 20
6 minutes ago, Darian said:

Milwaukee Sheriff David Clarke (who some may know) is currently inciting Trump supporters to violence when he isn't quoting Bible verses on his Twitter page. 

(He shouldn't be doing either using his "sheriff" title, but I worry more about the former at the moment. 

Sheriffs, because they are elected and not promoted up like Police Chiefs, often have little regard for the law.

• Love 4

I think this article is really important in explaining the Trump voters and it's led me, sadly, to finally accept that the number of Americans like this is far greater than I had thought: http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/10/15/13286498/donald-trump-voters-race-economic-anxiety

I don't know what the solution is to this, though. They say it's important NOT to give up, not to write these people off, but being uncomfortable with racial equality is not something that can be dealt with rationally. I mean, how do you reach them? CAN you reach them?

Or can they only be reached with a white male candidate? If a John Kerry or Al Gore type Democrat had been the nominee (or the president right now), would this kind of anger not exist on the other side? I know that this country was built on a white male patriarchy, and that foundation takes a LONG time to break through- and the truth is our country is relatively young compared to other countries, so in some ways our progress has actually been faster, which is a good thing. But almost half the country just isn't onboard with this kind of progress and isn't going for it.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Kromm said:

And the Opp Research and the careful timing of that? Heck, even though I said before it was the Democratic Party who did it, it could have just as easily been the Republicans, hoping against hope it would drive Trump to quit and they could in the 11th hour put up another candidate and snatch a victory from the jaws of defeat. They easily could have been THAT desperate, because he was already going to lose even before PussyGate (and if he won, would likely either blow up the planet, lose the US every single ally we have, or at best destroy the Republican party the REST of the way). 

Even if MOST of what Trump and his lackeys accused Clinton of were somehow magically true, she's STILL be a better choice than a lunatic.  Petty corruption vs. insanity? I know which I'd chose. 

I can almost guarantee that if Donald Trump didn't bring the women to the debate that claimed that Bill Clinton raped, molested or had an affair with, that the infamous 'bus trip with Billy Bush' would never have come to light. Hillary Clinton isn't dumb and she was prepared for him if he took it in this direction. Donald wanted to get even with Hillary for bringing Alicia Machado's name up in the first debate. Hillary Clinton was well prepared in advance with seas of women in the wings waiting to come forward and talk about Donald and his predatory behavior.

If Hillary Clinton is elected as the first woman President of the United States, there will be a lot of eyes on her every move and decision. A lot of those distrusting eyes will be nit-picking anything she does that's even slightly questionable. It's for this particular reason that I think Hillary Clinton is going to be sure that she walks a straight line and leads like the leader she can be. She doesn't want to falter and disappoint those Americans that had faith in her. She'll be under a lot of scrutiny and she's well aware of that. She doesn't want to be the first woman President that disgraced herself in the history books.

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 20

I think that the first time it was speculated that Trump might be dog cocaine before the debate, it was in reaction to the conclusions drawn by people about Hillary.  She stumbled - she has Multiple Sclerosis!  Brain damage due to strokes!  Parkinsons!  she coughs - she's dying!  lung cancer?  AIDS?  oh yeah, she must have caught AIDS from Bill, right?  

So, when Trump keeps sniffing during the debate -  COCAINE!   why not? 

The funny thing is, after the first debate, he denied sniffing!  And then said the mic was faulty and picking up normal sounds of breathing.  But the second debate - he was sniffing again.  Hmmmmmm. 

Is it possible?  sure.  But at least some of the people saying it were just firing back.  Others thought it might actually be true. 

• Love 4

I guess I'm losing my egalitarianism because I laughed at Bill Maher mocking the Trump supporters. And seriously, that -partial- enumeration of things Trump's campaigned on is pretty mind-boggling!

I think re: cocaine. that Dean was serious, and it was about the breathing. Funny that Trump blamed it on the microphone but still was doing it the following debate. I -did- read a more innocent explanation from a psychologist--that the deep breathing is a kind of psychological marker for him, reinforcing that he just made a point he wanted to make. That seems plausible, but I still haven't ruled out cocaine, based on his sleep patterns, "energy" grandiosity and paranoia.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, ruby24 said:

I think this article is really important in explaining the Trump voters and it's led me, sadly, to finally accept that the number of Americans like this is far greater than I had thought: http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/10/15/13286498/donald-trump-voters-race-economic-anxiety

I don't know what the solution is to this, though. They say it's important NOT to give up, not to write these people off, but being uncomfortable with racial equality is not something that can be dealt with rationally. I mean, how do you reach them? CAN you reach them?

Or can they only be reached with a white male candidate? If a John Kerry or Al Gore type Democrat had been the nominee (or the president right now), would this kind of anger not exist on the other side? I know that this country was built on a white male patriarchy, and that foundation takes a LONG time to break through- and the truth is our country is relatively young compared to other countries, so in some ways our progress has actually been faster, which is a good thing. But almost half the country just isn't onboard with this kind of progress and isn't going for it.

That is a very good article (paraphrasing): Understanding Trump voters means not explaining their support as bsed on economic anxiety and national security concerns as much as it is on (1) party identification and (2) racial (and ethnic/religious) prejudices.

All I can think of is that IF #1 really IS important, then there might be something gained from the GOP leadership stepping forward, holding a joint press conference and denouncing Trump--outlining his falsehoods and dangerous, unconstitutional ideas--in no uncertain terms. They have a chance to make history--a far superior moment than denouncing (finally) Joseph McCarthy.

Will they do it?  I'm not holding my breath.  They are breathtaking cowards and opportunists from what I can see--except for a handful who are out of office, like Romney. I -do- give him credit for guts in the primary. But where's he been lately?

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, Padma said:

I -did- read a more innocent explanation from a psychologist--that the deep breathing is a kind of psychological marker for him, reinforcing that he just made a point he wanted to make.

Maybe he does it every time he tells a lie...

• Love 12

I think an in depth examination and analysis of Trump's supporters and why they support him is critically important. Win or lose, those sentiments underpinning his support will continue to exist, and may even be further unleashed.  There's been a populist far right upsurge in other places as well, including Western Europe, and I would argue to a smaller extent in Australia as well.  Definite shades of Brexit in Trump's populist appeal.  

I think overt or subconscious racist feelings, feelings of fear, prejudice, diminished power, perception of  the 'other' as a threat to their dominance, their social and financial security, definitely play a role.  These far right populists play into nostalgic feelings of "the good old days", when country X was "great" and the desire to recapture that, and in many ways, it's just a code word for those who reject a multicultural, globalized society and yearn for the days when their racial group was the undisputed dominant force.  

I feel the anti-establishment feeling is another powerful motivating force for Trump supporters.   People who feel disempowered, disenfranchised for whatever reason (changing racial demographics, globalization, powerlessness in their own lives for whatever reason) blame "the system", and just want to stick their finger in whatever way possible.  The anger these people feel is immense.  It doesn't matter if they rationally know Trump can't really get things done etc., they just want to stick it to the establishment/Hillary.  

Then yes, there are those single issue voters in America for which something like abortion, gay marriage, gun control trumps ;) all.  Nothing else matters.   That kind of fundamentalism is myopic and scary to me, but it appears to be quite prevalent.

It's not about facts or reason with Trump supporters, I'm not sure you can make any headway with them by appealing to them on those grounds.  Pointing out Trump or their own misconceptions and hypocrisies isn't going to get anywhere with them.  Trump appeals to the emotions, always has done, and those voting for him are making an emotional statement of sorts, about the kind of people they are and they kind of country they want America to be. ;)

And oh yeah, misogyny has a lot to do with it too.  How could I forget the misogyny? ;)  I think this campaign has shown how far we still have to go.  

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 15
3 hours ago, Calvada said:

I'm doing a re-watch of one of my favorite shows, Veronica Mars, and in the season 2 finale , Veronica and her father are talking about their post-graduation trip to New York, and Veronica says she's packed her pepper spray in case they run into that Trump character.   Ten years ago - we should have listened to Veronica.  After all, she is smarter than us. 

I miss Veronica so much.  She could kick Trump's ass.

• Love 5