Type keyword(s) to search

Good Ratings & Renewal? Probably not!

Ratings: http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/good-place-season-one-ratings/

As of early October (as I post this), it's looking pretty dicey. The ratings are no worse than it's lead-in show, Superstore's ratings (which is good), but the whole hour block is 3rd place in it's timeslot every time besides it's premiere week.  That ancient creaker Grey's Anatomy is slaughtering it. 

Let's put it this way. The nightmarishly bad "Kevin Can Wait", up against it one week (September 29) on CBS, got better ratings on a REPEAT than The Good Place did that same week with an original episode.

In perspective though, they're beating Fox, and maybe that's enough for them?  Who knows. 

So far, at least with the golden 18-49 demo, the show is averaging out as one of NBC's better results of this season, but that's very skewed by the high ratings received by the first two episodes in that Monday/post-The Voice block handed out. As soon as you remove those, then it takes a nosedive in it's aggregate. Each week that's going to go lower and lower as those first two episodes are less and less of the total.

What's going to save or kill it is how much NBC wants to keep at least a few token comedies around, how well whatever goes in it's timeslot after it's short run ends does comparatively, and how cheap or expensive it ultimately is (high star salaries, but it's from Universal, and thus an NBC in-house production). 

The bleeding wasn't QUITE as bad as it could have been being up against Rocky Horror, but... it wasn't great either. Not that Rocky Horror did spectacularly (1.7 4.95m), but I think it took directly away from TGP's base.

0.90  3.768m

To compare, Superstore, a half hour earlier, did this:

1.0   4.15m

CW's Legends of Tomorrow (in real trouble) did this:

0.6  1.78m

Football was the winner for the night overall with a 3.0 and 10.50m viewers. As per usual, Grey's Anatomy was automatic ratings for ABC with a 2.1 8.06m viewers.

On 10/24/2016 at 7:23 AM, Notwisconsin said:

It might be a good thing, in a way....We could have one season with a beginning, middle and end, which I hope would be satisfying.

The thing about Mike Schur is, all of his seasons have a beginning, middle and end. He's never been one take a series renewal for granted, so most of his season finales could've served as series finales (see "Parks & Recreation"). Whether this show lasts one season or four, I think we'll get a satisfying resolution, no matter what.

• Love 3

Interesting article.  I read it as saying that the season will have 13 episodes, but not that this will necessarily be the *only* season.  I love that Bell calls it a light-hearted version of "The Americans."  I wouldn't have thought to make that comparison, but that's another one of my very favorite shows!

But that article implies to me that the season is 13 episodes - not the show.  Am I missing something?  It's like all those articles when How to Get Away with Murder premiered. Viola Davis only signed on because they promised her 15 episodes a season and no more.  It's in its 3rd season now.

I really liked reading that article.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Hmmm...that makes sense. I guess I assumed it was 13 and done (and that's why each episode is numbered by chapter, since it was a limited run series). But I certainly hope that I misinterpreted the article, as I'd hate for here to only be 4 episodes left. It's such a well-done show.

11 hours ago, Aileen said:

I was always under the impression that the show was never going to be longer than the 13 episode run.

https://www.google.com/amp/variety.com/2016/tv/features/the-good-place-kristen-bell-ted-danson-mike-schur-1201776288/amp/?client=safari

Thank you for posting that article.  Does anyone know whether the following the reason the show is taking a break until January?

Yet Schur didn’t think Bell would be able to come on board because of her commitment to Showtime’s “House of Lies.” He approached her anyway, and a deal was struck that allowed her to juggle “The Good Place” with a potential sixth season of “House of Lies.”

52 minutes ago, AnnaRose said:

Thank you for posting that article.  Does anyone know whether the following the reason the show is taking a break until January?

I believe Thursday Night Football is why the show is taking a break until January; ultimately, there was no sixth season of House of Lies.

• Love 1

I'm disappointed about the ratings, especially as I feel like this was Schur's hit it out of the park from day 1. Parks & Rec struggled through finding it's voice to separate it from The Office in it's first season and a half, and Brooklyn 99, while strong out of the gate was definitely finding it's place in it's initial 13 episodes before being picked up for the full season.

Fortunately, I think the 13 episodes will help the show, it makes for a very digestible single season for people to pick up on it through streaming. 

Speaking of streaming, I've been watching the extended episodes on NBC.com. The episodes benefit greatly from a few extra scenes, or tidbits originally cut out of other scenes. Sometimes I feel the show at 20 minutes in too short as broadcast. And way fewer commercials!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

Speaking of streaming, I've been watching the extended episodes on NBC.com. The episodes benefit greatly from a few extra scenes, or tidbits originally cut out of other scenes. Sometimes I feel the show at 20 minutes in too short as broadcast. And way fewer commercials!

I hope they do a dvd release with the extended episodes.  I'd buy that in an instant.  

• Love 3

I see that Netflix has added The Good Place here in The Netherlands as a "Netflix Original." I'm using quotation marks because Netflix advertises it as Netflix Original but it's on another network in its country of origin. They do the same with other series like Orphan Black, Shadowhunters, Riverdale and many others.

11 hours ago, paulvdb said:

I see that Netflix has added The Good Place here in The Netherlands as a "Netflix Original." I'm using quotation marks because Netflix advertises it as Netflix Original but it's on another network in its country of origin. They do the same with other series like Orphan Black, Shadowhunters, Riverdale and many others.

They do it in the US as well.  I watch two Netflix originals that are actually network shows in Canada.

• Love 1

I didn't see a scheduling topic, so I'm posting this here. Even though the first two episodes aired on Wednesday, next week, the show goes to it's regular day and time - Thursdays at 8:30 PM Eastern. As always, check local listings for date and time in your area.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Because it's come up in the episode thread I thought I would post this here. It's early but TV By the Numbers has it likely to be renewed because it's ratings are steady and on par with last year.

I hope they're right. This is such the rare brillant, clever, fun and funny show.

• Love 3

(does scheduling talk go here?)

In his review of episode 2x06, Alan Sepinwall offhandedly mentioned that 2x07 will be the last episode for the calendar year because NBC will be broadcasting Thursday night NFL games.

3 hours ago, arc said:

(does scheduling talk go here?)

In his review of episode 2x06, Alan Sepinwall offhandedly mentioned that 2x07 will be the last episode for the calendar year because NBC will be broadcasting Thursday night NFL games.

I would think that 2x08 would be the last, since it doesn't look like NBC starts doing TNF until November 9.

• Love 1

There appears to be some confusion about episode numbering because some people count the season premiere as one episode while others count each half hour as a separate episode. So depending on how you count next week is episode 7 or 8. Here on PTV the season premiere was counted as two episodes as you can see by the numbering of the episode threads which means that next week's episode thread will be numbered as episode 8. But I guess arc (or Alan Sepinwall whose review was mentioned in that post) sees next week as episode 7.

• Love 3

This is the little show that could isn’t it? I initially got bored after the pilot not really being a fan of comedies but then when it kept popping up on my twitter feed I finally decided to give it another chance when it appeared on Netflix and it took awhile to catch me and dragged a parts but damn those cliffhangers.  Watched it more or less live during the second season (day after it aired).  Now I am glad it keeps getting renewed.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, Ryan Chamberlain said:

Fork yeah!

My favorite sitcom this decade. So forking good. 

Mine, too. It's filling the hole left by Better Off Ted.

I can't believe a new show I love isn't getting canceled yet!

• Love 7