Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 10/03/2016

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Thank you, Love2dance, for raising this point. I had forgotten about this pontification.  I worked in an industry where we did a lot of research on the airline industry.  The fact is, it is very difficult for airlines to make money.  To do so, they need to have that business traveller audience.  I suppose one could figure out the most popular destinations for a baby or family oriented airline.  The truth is, the airlines do tend to segregate families with children for the most part on routes that fly to family destinations, like Orlando or Hawaii.  But the airline wants that biz traveller, cause they are paying the highest fare, not looking for the non refundable econo fare.  Even  if they are in economy, they are in economy plus probably with a higher priced ticket so that they have the flexibility of changing their routing due to biz requirements.

Believe me, if the airlines thought they could make money by having an only families travelling airline, they would do it, even if it were on specific routes.

Many countries subsidize their airlines because they could not survive otherwise.  Companies that have tried to survive purely as charters or low cost airlines can make a go of it for a while, but eventually they fold or they begin to target biz travellers.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Love2dance said:

I get so frustrated every time Whoopie says there should be a baby airline. Sure, that would be lovely. But does she honestly think that is even possible for the majority of flights from hundreds of airports going to many hundreds of destinations? How would the flight times/destinations be chosen? And yet she totally dismisses the possibility of having a family section on planes, which might be a little easier to implement. I don't even think she means it. I think she just wants to throw it out there to seem magnanimous.

Whoopi keeps trying to make it sound like she is just thinking of those poor parents and kids, but what she is really thinking about is herself and how nice it would be FOR HER to not have to have any kids around when she is flying.  It's not about helping out people traveling with children, it's about her not wanting to have to deal with them.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, Love2dance said:

I get so frustrated every time Whoopie says there should be a baby airline. Sure, that would be lovely. But does she honestly think that is even possible for the majority of flights from hundreds of airports going to many hundreds of destinations?

But really, Love2Dance...no airline in the world can afford to have a marketing department.  They don't allow employees to come up with suggestions.  They probably don't even know that crying babies often irritate passengers.  We NEED someone like Whoopi to teach them, inspire them, and call on Mark Cuban to make a deal.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 9
On 10/4/2016 at 1:24 PM, merriebreeze said:

(Remember when the attorney set Whoopi straight re: Cosby?)

...and obviously forced by executives to sit there, take it, and pretend that she had really learned something new.  Yep, I remember.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Whoopi keeps trying to make it sound like she is just thinking of those poor parents and kids, but what she is really thinking about is herself and how nice it would be FOR HER to not have to have any kids around when she is flying.  It's not about helping out people traveling with children, it's about her not wanting to have to deal with them.

Oh Please. Like she even flies. unless it's overseas. She's on record that she doesn't like to fly and has that fugly RV she uses to travel. SUCK IT UP, Whoopi, or buy your own private chartered plane where you don't have to listen to babies who can't help how they act, cabin pressure, turbulence, just being babies and toddlers.

6 hours ago, Former Nun said:

...and obviously forced by executives to sit there, take it, and pretend that she had really learned something new.  Yep, I remember.

That was Dan Abrams, who has his own show, or used to, and is also a lawyer. If Sunny tried to explain, Whoopi would have blown her off, but because it was a man, who apparently knows more than Sunny (how???), she sat there like what he was saying made more sense and she FINALLY understood. Whatever.

• Love 4

Why was Whoopi so damn insistent that the other women treat social media the way she does?  Some public figures happen to enjoy having a back and forth with their followers.  They just wish it wasn't interrupted by people going out of their way to be cruel and nasty.  Whoopi made it sound like the problem is choosing to read what other people have to say at all instead of the real problem which is the rotten people out there who actually intrude on someone's social media just say mean things and be hateful.  

I can't stand it when she starts in with her holier-than-thou if-you-only-did-things-my-way-you'd-be-fine crap. 

I wonder if maybe Whoopi just doesn't realize that it's even possible to have a pleasant exchange with other people online because people post nothing BUT nasty comments on her social media so she has no appreciation for the upside of talking to your followers. 

• Love 14
17 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Or she is thinking that she could go into business with billionaire Mark Cuban and have their special airline. Whoopi is always about the money.

• Love 2

I watched 3 episodes this s.m., and noticed that Jedi blah blah  is usually the first to speak after Whoops throws out the question,  " What do you all think?"  So,  is the Spew scripted to let the Conservative be sure to get her point in at the beginning of the show--LOUDLY?  

The good news is that Jed talks so fast that is easy to miss her points, although she gets by with the lies and inaccuracies, as well.  

When will the stupid lies and fake facts stop?  On the Spew, as well as on the campaign-- prime suspect,  Pence dissing Kane's repeating Trump's crazy statements.  Couldn't an independent fact checker lije Politifact, develop an programming app that would ding a bell, and then run a bright red crawl at the bottom of the tv screen with the facts?  

People, I don't know if I can get through the next 25 or so days, and I can't drink too much during the week.  

Edited by Tosia
Frustrating, and annoyed by Jed's pronounced accent.
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

It is Joys birthday Friday I wonder if they acknowledge it. I can't make sense of  how they make a big deal of ones and not another's. 

2 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

It is Joys birthday Friday I wonder if they acknowledge it. I can't make sense of  how they make a big deal of ones and not another's. 

WORD

Some b'days get the whole hour and some barely get a mention -- if that.

• Love 2

I don't think Joy likes a lot of fanfair for her birthday. I remember a few years ago she wouldn't say her age. Last year she did, because it's no secret. I'd flaunt it if I were her. Girl looks damn good for a day away from 74 years old. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Jaded said:

The Talk is having a birthday episode for their red headed host on Friday. I didn't realize it was Joy's birthday too.

How eerie.

I remember last year that they just had Jay Leno come out with a birthday cake for a few minutes, but otherwise Joy just wanted to do hot topics. I loved her laugh about the stupid topics they have when politics aren't the conversation. And I think this is the first time she's addressed that fake cream thing that popped up earlier this year.

Sunny must've sold out to get on this show. I remember when she first appeared again (since the time she auditioned during Sherri's last year) and she was pretty adamant about correcting Whoopi's inane comments, coining "MISS Whoopi!" and causing Whoopi to go completely feral, but ever since she got her foot in the door, she's catered to Whoopi's constant BS. Whoopi shut her down again today. "But that's not we're talking about!!" How would you even know, Whoopi? I only heard barely one sentence before you interrupted her?? I'm guessing Sunny knows Whoopi will be gone at the end of the year and is playing her cards safely right now. We've seen what Whoopi's ire will cause (both Rosie's off the show, Paula reduced to one day a week).

• Love 5

When will sara be taking a day off...she might be less prone to having a bervous breakdown if she took a day off.

Raven and Paula being on once or twice a week is nice.  A little of both go a long way.  I do wish Candace had been on when Kelly Clarkson was on..just to see her resctiin to Kellys statement thst she wad a whole person being meeting her husbanfñd..and waved off the other half question lol

• Love 2

I just finished watching today's show &, IMHO, The Whoopster has ENTIRELY too much to say on every gawd damn subject.  She opens the subject, interrupts the others when they are trying to contribute & then preaches to everyone ad nauseam.  The posting on Twitter topic was so one-sided .... as if she cared enough to check what people had to say in response to her Tweets.  I wanted to see Sela Ward (love her), but deleted after her segment.  I really don't know if I can put up with Whoopi's flapping lips another year!!??

• Love 13
On 10/5/2016 at 8:00 PM, Love2dance said:

I get so frustrated every time Whoopie says there should be a baby airline. Sure, that would be lovely. But does she honestly think that is even possible for the majority of flights from hundreds of airports going to many hundreds of destinations? How would the flight times/destinations be chosen? And yet she totally dismisses the possibility of having a family section on planes, which might be a little easier to implement. I don't even think she means it. I think she just wants to throw it out there to seem magnanimous.

It really is the stupidest idea ever.  Because she's not really talking about an airline for families, she just wants to have adult-only flights.  But saying that would make her sound like a cranky old lady.    

• Love 8

When will sara be taking a day off...she might be less prone to having a bervous breakdown if she took a day off.

Airhead Sara wouldn't be noticed if she wasn't there. She doesn't say anything for the first 20 minutes, looks left and then looks right, waves and reads a tweet.  She must be bored doing that every show!

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Jaded said:

The Talk is having a birthday episode for their red headed host on Friday. I didn't realize it was Joy's birthday too.

Per Google, Joy's birthday is Oct 7. Sharon's is Oct 9.

Too bad Joy (and I) couldn’t have got a break from Jedidiah on her birthday, jeez. I don’t even mind that Don Lemon was there because I like him, but why couldn’t Sunny have been there instead of Jedi? Eh.

That bit at the end with the Trump impersonator made me wish I'd taped the show. lol

I like Don Lemon and he looks damn good for his age..He is 50 years old.....He looks so young....Good Black don't crack, Indeed! I am tired of Jedediah and Sarah Haines....I miss Sunny....I really love what she brings to the table.....Whoopie's growing disdain of her is disheartening, but, not surprising....Whoopie enjoyed being the only Black woman on the panel...Sunny brings another Black perspective on the panel and the movie stah is not amused....I love Joy the most and I am glad that we have our Whoopie free Fridays with her, at the helm...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, merriebreeze said:

Or was it this guy

Anthony Atamanuik Trump Impersonato

Didn't they mention the one on today's show is currently performing a Trump Dump show in NYC or something along those lines?

P.S. Yep. It was him. He just confirmed via twitter @TonyAtamanuik

He was very good and Joy got a kick out of it. When the show ended he was still going on and a close-up of Joy laughing hysterically. I bet we missed some good stuff!

Nice birthday show and Joy looks damn good for 74.

• Love 4

Elizabeth Vargas made me a little uncomfortable when she answered the question about whether this was a lifelong problem for her. When she was on the show before,  I thought it was too soon. Celebrities come out of rehab and do interviews and write books as if they have all the answers and have conquered their disease when it really is one day at a time. It is a disease that is subject to relapse. I remember my sister thinking that she could be around people who were drinking early in her recovery. Also, at one point she thought she could drink socially.  I like Elizabeth and I wish her all the best. I understand all alcoholics are not the same. 

I enjoyed today's show and I like that Sara shares her stories about her anxiety.

• Love 2
On 10/6/2016 at 11:01 AM, Celia Rubenstein said:

Why was Whoopi so damn insistent that the other women treat social media the way she does?  Some public figures happen to enjoy having a back and forth with their followers.  They just wish it wasn't interrupted by people going out of their way to be cruel and nasty.  Whoopi made it sound like the problem is choosing to read what other people have to say at all instead of the real problem which is the rotten people out there who actually intrude on someone's social media just say mean things and be hateful.  

I can't stand it when she starts in with her holier-than-thou if-you-only-did-things-my-way-you'd-be-fine crap. 

I wonder if maybe Whoopi just doesn't realize that it's even possible to have a pleasant exchange with other people online because people post nothing BUT nasty comments on her social media so she has no appreciation for the upside of talking to your followers. 

Sarah tried to explain that social media can be a back and forth exchange of ideas but Whoopi didn't seem to listen to even that, LOL.  Whoopi is not about listening - her "conversations" are mostly one way streets.  

When The Great Whoopi Goldberg declared that she gives her opinions on the show because she's PAID to give them but she doesn't want to hear ours, I quickly FF to the Sela Ward interview where I was rewarded with a big laugh;  Whoopi comparing 'casting couch' stories with the elegant Sela Ward.  Hahahahhaha.  Yeah sure, Whoop.  

On 10/6/2016 at 11:26 AM, Morgalisa said:

But what about the knit caps? Aren't you glad it's hat season, at The View, on the air??

OH EMM GEE you guys what the hell is going on with Whoopi's headwear?!  Did she lose a bet or something?   We know she doesn't use a stylist [or apparently even a mirror] but honestly, I found that brown knit thing completely distracting and hilarious. The fact that sparkly dreds were carefully positioned over the top of it was fascinating; like tentacles holding on to the hat.    Good grief. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Her answer?

Sugarbaker she kind of sidestepped it and implied that it didnt really apply to her. She said she was at an Emmys party and someone mentioned that they were sorry to have been insensitive and drink around her. She said it doesn't bother her for others to drink around her and she doesn't want to be a pariah. So, good on her if that works for her. For a lot of people, it doesn't work that way.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Morgalisa said:

Sugarbaker she kind of sidestepped it and implied that it didnt really apply to her. She said she was at an Emmys party and someone mentioned that they were sorry to have been insensitive and drink around her. She said it doesn't bother her for others to drink around her and she doesn't want to be a pariah. So, good on her if that works for her. For a lot of people, it doesn't work that way.

It even varies with one person and the particular day. My BFF was a recovering alcoholic, very devoted to his recovery in AA, and when we had parties when we were in our 20s, he was the de facto bartender. Because who knows how to mix drinks like an alcoholic, right? He said it was fine, and he was a blunt guy, he would have let us know if it wasn't fine. Until four or five parties in, he got very withdrawn. Turns out it really was tempting him that night. And Robert's job as our party bartender ended that night. It's a process. (I'm happy to say that he stayed sober until the day he died, much too soon, but he was determined not to have morphine to get him through his final illness. He wanted to live and die sober. A braver guy, I'll never know.)

• Love 13

I tuned into Friday's show and watched the entire thing!  The Spew really is a different show without Whoopi, and by different I mean enjoyable.  No one interrupting or shouting or waving their arms. Everyone looked professional  If Sunny had been at the table it would have been even better.   Still, I liked Don Lemon so much I am going to make a point of catching his show - something I hadn't done before.  

Loved how they celebrated Joy's Birthday too - real A-listers.    The cake and Trump impersonator at the end was terrific!   What a contrast to Whoopi's yearly hawking of crap Favorite Things.  

ETA:

The only snark I have is the segment with the four breast cancer survivors - those women went through all that running around making a Rite Aid commercial and all they got were tickets to a show that gives out free tickets. There's cheap and then there's rude and I thought that was both. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 13
4 hours ago, Cosmocrush said:

I tuned into Friday's show and watched the entire thing!  The Spew really is a different show without Whoopi, and by different I mean enjoyable.  No one interrupting or shouting or waving their arms. Everyone looked professional  If Sunny had been at the table it would have been even better.   Still, I liked Don Lemon so much I am going to make a point of catching his show - something I hadn't done before.  

Loved how they celebrated Joy's Birthday too - real A-listers.    The cake and Trump impersonator at the end was terrific!   What a contrast to Whoopi's yearly hawking of crap Favorite Things.  

ETA:

The only snark I have is the segment with the four breast cancer survivors - those women went through all that running around making a Rite Aid commercial and all they got were tickets to a show that gives out free tickets. There's cheap and then there's rude and I thought that was both. 

My bold.  I catch Don Lemon whenever I can.  He doesn't let his guests walk all over him as much as Anderson Cooper (& I love Anderson).  Don has an edge that I really like.  I'm remember an interview he was doing on the street with some protestors in (I think) Orlando & he asked the guy to spell & pronounce his name.  The guy got all huffy & asked why he couldn't say what he wanted & Don explained that when they showed "the story", he wanted to get the guy's name and pronunciation correct.  Don went on to say that some people referred to his last name as LeMone, which I thought was a wise way to calm the guy down.  Just sayin'.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Medicine Crow said:

My bold.  I catch Don Lemon whenever I can.  He doesn't let his guests walk all over him as much as Anderson Cooper (& I love Anderson).  Don has an edge that I really like.  I'm remember an interview he was doing on the street with some protestors in (I think) Orlando & he asked the guy to spell & pronounce his name.  The guy got all huffy & asked why he couldn't say what he wanted & Don explained that when they showed "the story", he wanted to get the guy's name and pronunciation correct.  Don went on to say that some people referred to his last name as LeMone, which I thought was a wise way to calm the guy down.  Just sayin'.

I love Don Lemon and I loved his courage in coming out, as Gay Black man..He was discouraged by alot of people and spoke his truth, anyway...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

I love Don Lemon and I loved his courage in coming out, as Gay Black man..He was discouraged by alot of people and spoke his truth, anyway...

That's really funny because I never think of him (or Anderson) as gay, just really good at what he does.  There's a lot of gays, in & out of the closet, on our teevee (TM Celia), so I don't really think about it.  The only guy I remember is Sam Champion who really paid a high price for coming out.  I loved his sense of humor & presence.  OTOH, Robin Roberts waited until she'd soaked up all the sympathy known to man before she "came out".  Just sayin'.

• Love 4