Type keyword(s) to search

Kate: Chrissy Metz

atomationage
  • Start Topic

Oscars: Elton John, Cynthia Erivo, Idina Menzel, Chrissy Metz and Randy Newman to Perform at Ceremony

All five of this year’s Oscar-nominated original songs will be performed during the awards telecast on Feb. 9, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced on Thursday.

The performances will be:

“I Can’t Let You Throw Yourself Away” from “Toy Story 4”: Performed by Randy Newman; music and lyrics by Newman.

“(I’m Gonna) Love Me Again” from “Rocketman”: Performed by Elton John; music by John and lyrics by Bernie Taupin.

“I’m Standing With You” from “Breakthrough”: Performed by Chrissy Metz; music and lyrics by Diane Warren.

“Into the Unknown” from “Frozen 2”: Performed by Idina Menzel and Aurora; music and lyrics by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez.

“Stand Up” from “Harriet”: performed by Cynthia Erivo; music and lyrics by Joshuah Brian Campbell and Erivo.

• Useful 2

Okay, so I have this half-baked theory why we haven’t seen Kate at end-of-life for Rebecca, as we have seen Randall/Kevin. 
I do believe, as was alluded to in gossip about show early on that they originally wanted Chrissy to lose a lot of weight. Then, that could show she “healed”, if you will, from her trauma as a child, not only from her moms focus on weight, but from loss of her father as her biggest fan.  

How tragic would it be if her body finally looked like what her mom stressed about with her as a child, only for her mom not to know her when she saw her at end of life?  Obviously, the other answer is she didn’t lose the weight, but has a wonderful life  

I think her character  is not going to be  seen in flash forwards until it’s known  how to write the ending for her character based on where the actress might be. 

ETA:  I say this even though I cringe at times folks focusing/making fun of her weight. 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, pennben said:

Okay, so I have this half-baked theory why we haven’t seen Kate at end-of-life for Rebecca, as we have seen Randall/Kevin. 
I do believe, as was alluded to in gossip about show early on that they originally wanted Chrissy to lose a lot of weight. Then, that could show she “healed”, if you will, from her trauma as a child, not only from her moms focus on weight, but from loss of her father as her biggest fan.  

How tragic would it be if her body finally looked like what her mom stressed about with her as a child, only for her mom not to know her when she saw her at end of life?  Obviously, the other answer is she didn’t lose the weight, but has a wonderful life  

I think her character  is not going to be  seen in flash forwards until it’s known  how to write the ending for her character based on where the actress might be. 

ETA:  I say this even though I cringe at times folks focusing/making fun of her weight. 

It wasn't just gossip - Chrissy publicly revealed that her contract included a provision about her losing weight over time.

I've always agreed with the theory that they aren't showing her in the future because they don't know what weight she'll be when the show ends.

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

I've always agreed with the theory that they aren't showing her in the future because they don't know what weight she'll be when the show ends.

I think so, too, though they are now getting closer to knowing, if the show is to conclude in two years (though that will be extended by the pandemic).  If she hasn't made headway in four years, it gets less likely to me that she will do much changing in the next couple.  Regardless, they still want us to wonder.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

It wasn't just gossip - Chrissy publicly revealed that her contract included a provision about her losing weight over time.

This sounds really terrible, but there is a part of me that thinks they aren't showing her in episodes in the far off future because her obesity could mean an early death for the actual actress (think John Candy).  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, sasha206 said:

This sounds really terrible, but there is a part of me that thinks they aren't showing her in episodes in the far off future because her obesity could mean an early death for the actual actress (think John Candy).  

I also think of Darlene Cates, who played the obese mom in What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Gossip was the wrong word. I’m pretty sure Chrissy said that in an interview, but then backtracked later to say it wasn’t a contractual requirement, but rather just part of discussions she had with producers about what they projected her storyline to be. 

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, pennben said:

Gossip was the wrong word. I’m pretty sure Chrissy said that in an interview, but then backtracked later to say it wasn’t a contractual requirement, but rather just part of discussions she had with producers about what they projected her storyline to be. 

It's possible I'm being overly suspicious, but I think it really was mentioned in her contract. After Chrissy revealed that losing weight was in her contract, a lot of people got angry at the makers of the show, and I think she backtracked at their request.

I can't imagine they put anything enforceable about weight in her contract (like "she won't get paid unless she loses X pounds"). But it wouldn't surprise me at all if she agreed to make a "good faith effort" to lose weight, or something to that effect.

I just don't think she'd say it was in the contract if it actually wasn't. That would be a very odd thing to blurt out if it wasn't true.

• Love 2

I know this is a sensitive subject but she looks to me like she's gained a lot more weight. A lot more. I agree they might not be showing her because her weight is not stable and they don't know where she'll be toward the end of the series.

• Love 10
On 3/26/2020 at 2:13 PM, Ohwell said:

I also think of Darlene Cates, who played the obese mom in What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

If Chrissy lives as long as Darlene Cates did, she's got 30 years left. Someone her age and her size, who's healthy enough to film a TV series, is extremely unlikely to die within a few years.

I think any kind of early death for Kate, even if she dies of something completely unrelated to her weight (like dying while saving someone from a fire), would rub a lot of fans the wrong way. I think the writers want to avoid the whole "fat people have short, tragic lives" trope.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

If Chrissy lives as long as Darlene Cates did, she's got 30 years left. Someone her age and her size, who's healthy enough to film a TV series, is extremely unlikely to die within a few years.

I think any kind of early death for Kate, even if she dies of something completely unrelated to her weight (like dying while saving someone from a fire), would rub a lot of fans the wrong way. I think the writers want to avoid the whole "fat people have short, tragic lives" trope.

I know Darlene Cates died at 69.  I only referred to her because she was an obese actress like Chrissy.

I recently read that she had split with former boyfriend, but, then read it happened sometime ago.  Chrissy said they broke up two years ago, but, there are photos of them she posted of them being very together in 2019.  Hard to know what to believe.  

https://www.today.com/popculture/chrissy-metz-says-she-hal-rosenfeld-actually-split-almost-2-t190199

http://www.justjared.com/2020/08/25/chrissy-metz-reveals-her-split-from-hal-rosenfeld-happened-almost-two-years-ago/

https://pagesix.com/2020/08/20/this-is-us-star-chrissy-metz-and-hal-rosenfeld-have-split/

It's not that big of a deal, it's just that I find with her, that I have researched various things she has claimed over the years and for some reason, it seems to be inconsistent.  Some claims in her book were odd and didn't appear accurate, imo.  Now, I try to think positively about it. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

This week I rewatched the first season of this is Us and I noticed some things about Kate that I didn't remember. I read here that many people don't like Kate and her behavior but in season 1 it seems that she had some difficulties. When she met Toby she told him that she can't fall for a fat person and he promised that he would lose the weight with her. Then he stopped the diet and she asked him to take a break because she wanted some time for herself to understand what her real issues are. Toby did not respect her wish for a long time and he emotionally manipulated her into being with him again and then he had the heart attack and the surgery. Before Toby came unannounced to the Thanksgiving dinner Kate had decided to have the gastric bypass surgery and she seemed quite excited about her decision. Then Toby had his surgery and she got cold feet. She decides to go to the fat camp, she seems to have really decided to make the effort but then Toby again appears and messes with her efforts and she stops from there as well. I mean it seems that Kate is in a place in her life that she wants wholeheartedly to make this effort to lose some weight but various things seem to stop her all the time. I wanted to remind you these things because it seems that many people in here are really angry and mad with Kate maybe they have forgotten the events of that season.

• Love 3

Most of my comments on this thread are about Chrissy, the actor, not the character she plays.  However, I think that the two of them aren't too different. Both seem to be rather content with the status quo.  For me, I think that anyone can come up with many excuses that you haven't put your health first.  It can be due to a boyfriend, job, money situation, etc., but, there will never be a perfect time to engage in being proactive in getting your health on track, especially if it's morbid obesity.  So, for me, Kate has chosen not to pursue her health as a priority and that's her choice, not the fault of Toby.  I found it odd that she would pursue a pregnancy in light of her condition and the risks, but, that's her choice.  She hasn't seemed to suffer much physically on the show.  

The same goes for Chrissy.  She says she's fine and proud of her body and I suppose she doing fine health wise.  I still wonder why if she's content, she altered the appearance of her face on her book cover to make it appear that she's about 60 pounds lighter than she is.  I do not support fat shaming at all.  I have struggled with my weight at times in my life too, though, not to the point of morbid obesity, but, I have great compassion for someone in that situation.  It's tough.  Not unlike any other addiction, imo. and I am NO EXPERT.  

I am curious to see how Chrissy will appear in the new season.  I read online that Chrissy has a new boyfriend.  

• Love 1

I think the creators of the show chose Chrissy for a specific purpose, and that's to provoke the audience and cause discussions about the show. They chose characters who are extreme in everything that defines them; Kate is VERY fat. She is not an overweight, chubby girl. They wanted a really fat girl. Kevin is VERY narcisistic. Randall is VERY stressful and intense. Jack cares VERY much. Toby is VERY annoying. Miguel is VERY absent. Rebecca is maybe the most normal person in the show, together with Beth. Lets not forget that the creators want a show that will make people watch it and discuss about it. It's a drama and having normal people in it would not create much of drama.

Chrissy is lying when she says that she is content with her body. Whatever success any fat person may have in career, personal life, educational life etc, they always wish they would be thin(ner). And as Kate said in the first episodes of first season "it's always about the weight". It never goes out of your mind because you have gotten used to the fact this is how people judge you. The only place people don't judge you from the weight is the internet. In other aspects you are feeling judged all the time, whether you go to buy chewing gum, you walk your dog, you go to a bar, a party, your work, whatever. You never stop feeling judged.

Chrissy now thinks that it's unnecessary to lose the weight since she has become successful despite it. I guarantee you she is not healthy. I'm sure she has back problems, I'm sure she finds it hard to even walk her dog or just go for a walk. But it's her life and her decision to do something about it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, himela said:

Chrissy is lying when she says that she is content with her body. Whatever success any fat person may have in career, personal life, educational life etc, they always wish they would be thin(ner).

That is a pretty sweeping statement right there. Not every person on the planet is focused on their appearance above all else, and not every person sees 'thin(ner)' as the ideal body.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I still wonder why if she's content, she altered the appearance of her face on her book cover to make it appear that she's about 60 pounds lighter than she is. 

That was most likely the publisher's decision, not Chrissy's. (On a tangentially related note, I recently watched the documentary A Perfect 14 on Amazon Prime. It had interviews with several women's magazine editors, and all of them insisted that retouching their cover photos is an absolute must. I wouldn't be surprised if publishers of celebrity memoirs felt the same way.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

That is a pretty sweeping statement right there. Not every person on the planet is focused on their appearance above all else, and not every person sees 'thin(ner)' as the ideal body.

It's not about the appearance. It's about how people perceive you and the constant thought that you being overweight may be the reason for x, y, z in your life.

I know that I am overweight since I was born and there was not a day passing through my life that I have forgotten about it. I would be lying if I said that i wouldn't want to have a more normal body, not to look beautiful or thin but to stop my mind games that peole are judging me for my weight.

Maybe I shouldn't talk for all people though, you are right.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 10/20/2020 at 2:41 PM, gonzosgirrl said:

Certainly true, but in Chrissy/Kate's case, I imagine being thinner - even a small amount - would make some everyday life experiences much easier. For instance, remember the episode where she had to tell a hostess, amidst much embarrassment, that she could only sit in certain restaurant seating?

And, every time we have seen Kate and Toby on a plane, they are in first class, as Kate would not fit easily in a three-seat row. (I'm thinking that they probably made the two-seat area subtly larger than they usually are for the scenes, too.)

These are simple life things, over which certainly no one should be experiencing difficulties. It hurts my heart to think there are people for whom this is sadly a reality.

Edited by SnarkySheep
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

These are simple life things, over which certainly no one should be experiencing difficulties. It hurts my heart to think there are people for whom this is sadly a reality.

For the vast majority of obese individuals, obesity is a result of poor lifestyle choices and can be prevented or reversed by making better choices. If it's *really* important to someone to be able to fit into a regular airplane seat, that's usually within their power to accomplish. There are many tragic, incurable illnesses, but obesity isn't one of them.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

For the vast majority of obese individuals, obesity is a result of poor lifestyle choices and can be prevented or reversed by making better choices. If it's *really* important to someone to be able to fit into a regular airplane seat, that's usually within their power to accomplish. There are many tragic, incurable illnesses, but obesity isn't one of them.

Sorry, but as a disabled person myself, I'd have to disagree.

At any rate, I just gave a couple of examples that we've seen, but I imagine such a person's entire day/life would be full of struggles, even from wardrobe (I think we have seen Kate only in dresses since the show began), to things like getting into a car or even putting on shoes. I don't think Kate would have an easy time bending down to pick up the baby's toys, of giving him a bath, any number of things. 

YMMV, of course.

Edited by SnarkySheep
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

Sorry, but as a disabled person myself, I'd have to disagree.

At any rate, I just gave a couple of examples that we've seen, but I imagine such a person's entire day/life would be full of struggles, even from wardrobe (I think we have seen Kate only in dresses since the show began), to things like getting into a car or even putting on shoes. I don't think Kate would have an easy time bending down to pick up the baby's toys, of giving him a bath, any number of things. 

YMMV, of course.

I'm not saying Kate has an easy time at her current weight, I'm just saying that if she wants to have an easier time, it's within her power to lose weight. Whereas people who suffer from illnesses/conditions that they cannot change (Baby Jack having been born blind, for example) truly deserve sympathy.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Chrissy is appearing as guest panelist on The Masked Singer tonight.  Love that show.  

She showed a lot of musical/celeb knowledge!

Was it just me or did *Jenny McCarthy's comment about 'getting out of this dress and into a mumu' seem a tad bit nasty with Chrissy sitting beside her?

*disclaimer: I dislike Jenny McCarthy so I may be inclined to take her the wrong way

5 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Was it just me or did *Jenny McCarthy's comment about 'getting out of this dress and into a mumu' seem a tad bit nasty with Chrissy sitting beside her?

*disclaimer: I dislike Jenny McCarthy so I may be inclined to take her the wrong way

I missed that.  I didn’t see the entire show.  It’s a treat for me so I usually watch it on the weekends with a glass of wine.  I’ll have to catch the entire thing this weekend.  I just happened to catch a portion of it last night.  A comment like that sounds odd and rude.  I have issues with Jenny, but I try to ignore that cause I love the show.  It’s mindless entertainment for me.  I’m not sure why Jenny would be so mean.  Maybe, she wasn’t thinking.  

(edited)
44 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I missed that.  I didn’t see the entire show.  It’s a treat for me so I usually watch it on the weekends with a glass of wine.  I’ll have to catch the entire thing this weekend.  I just happened to catch a portion of it last night.  A comment like that sounds odd and rude.  I have issues with Jenny, but I try to ignore that cause I love the show.  It’s mindless entertainment for me.  I’m not sure why Jenny would be so mean.  Maybe, she wasn’t thinking.  

It was a dumb pre-commercial thing with the judges about what the x-ray machine would see inside their heads (the shtick for the evening). It was tone-deaf at best, I think. ETA: In case it wasn't clear, Jenny was saying that about herself, but it still seemed insensitive to me.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
2 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

It was a dumb pre-commercial thing with the judges about what the x-ray machine would see inside their heads (the shtick for the evening). It was tone-deaf at best, I think. ETA: In case it wasn't clear, Jenny was saying that about herself, but it still seemed insensitive to me.

Wait, you mean if I want to see Chrissy on this Masked Singer show, I show I've never seen before, I'd have to suffer through Jenny McCrazy?  I only remember her from a long time ago when MTV became a trash show and she was on it sticking her tongue out and acting slutty all the time.  Then she became an avid anti-vaxxer.  I doubt very seriously if she wears muumuus.

• Love 2

I won't watch anything with Jenny McCarthy. There are no words for how much I despise people like her.

10 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

That doesn't surprise me since she's a musician herself.

• Love 4
(edited)
35 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I won't watch anything with Jenny McCarthy. There are no words for how much I despise people like her.

That doesn't surprise me since she's a musician herself.

Well, I watched.  Or should I say I watched the show's intro and Chrissy's introduction as guest guesser(?).  I fast forwarded through the songs until I came upon the muumuu comment.  Yeah, right, whatever Jenny.  You go and put on your big muumuu.  I also noticed that the other woman Nicole whoever mentioned as one of her guesses to be the artist Chubby Checker, who is now 79 years old.  Weird.  I kinda side eye the big muumuu comment and mentioning Chubby Checker as kind of digs against Chrissy.  Not classy at all IMHO.

P.S. Chrissy was all kinds of adorable and personable and beautiful in her dress.

Edited by CrystalBlue
P.S.
  • Love 2
On 11/27/2020 at 9:09 PM, chocolatine said:

I'm not saying Kate has an easy time at her current weight, I'm just saying that if she wants to have an easier time, it's within her power to lose weight. Whereas people who suffer from illnesses/conditions that they cannot change (Baby Jack having been born blind, for example) truly deserve sympathy.

I understand what you're saying and, I agree  that almost anyone who really puts her mind to it can lose weight.  Where it gets into something people cannot change is in the regain.  Around 98% of people who lost a lot of weight gain it back and they didn't all suddenly get lazy and careless after working so hard to lose it. 

I've heard a doctor at Harvard Medical, who had made obesity research his life's work, say that it's like swimming underwater, anyone can do it, but there comes a point where our body demands we surface for air and no amount of willpower will keep us down.  With dieting and regain it's a combination of the metabolism slowing down,  empty fat cells demanding refill,  and the satiety hormone, leptin, becoming depleted during the diet and staying that way for months afterward, making the patient feel ravenous almost constantly, even after eating normal amounts.

Going by all the stories in the tabloids about Chrissy losing weight, only to see her on the show, just as big or bigger, I have a feeling she has lost and regained many times since the show started.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
21 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

I understand what you're saying and, I agree  that almost anyone who really puts her mind to it can lose weight.  Where it gets into something people cannot change is in the regain.  Around 98% of people who lost a lot of weight gain it back and they didn't all suddenly get lazy and careless after working so hard to lose it. 

I've heard a doctor at Harvard Medical, who had made obesity research his life's work, say that it's like swimming underwater, anyone can do it, but there comes a point where our body demands we surface for air and no amount of willpower will keep us down.

My point was specifically about morbid obesity and I made it in response to a comment about fitting into an airplane seat. Achieving/maintaining an ideal weight is definitely difficult, not just because of the effort required but also because our modern environment is not conducive to it. But a person doesn't need to be at a healthy weight to fit into an airplane seat, they can be overweight or even in the "regular" obese rage (BMI 30-35) depending on their build. Morbid obesity is the tipping point of when it becomes much more difficult to function in everyday life, so it's about staying below that tipping point, rather than about willpower, if that makes sense.

• Love 2

Chrissy Metz was on TODAY show this morning with Hoda&Jenna, she did not reveal much about the show(although she was on-set while doing the interview), but she is happy in a relationship with a guy she's dated for a year & Chrissy showed part of her new Music Video which is a very up-beat song & is about when she moved to Los Angeles from Florida...

Chrissy is a guest on Jimmy Fallon tonight.  They talked about her performing at the Oscars and the Grand Old Opry.  She said she was not surprised with the big twist. She’s known for a while.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I had read somewhere that it is in her contract that she cannot lose weight while the show is running but after the show ends they will arrange for her to have bariatric surgery. 

She now looks like those on My 600 Pound Life. I am surprised she is mobile. I know it is NOT admirable to "fat shame" and I am overweight myself but in some cases it is just weird to ignore the elephant in the room.

Kelly should have asked her about her weight and if she has any plans to lose weight after the show ends. Why ignore it in an interview? It is just weird. 

Edited by LoveLeigh
I meant to type NOT not NOW
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, LoveLeigh said:

I had read somewhere that it is in her contract that she cannot lose weight while the show is running but after the show ends they will arrange for her to have bariatric surgery. 

She now looks like those on My 600 Pound Life. I am surprised she is mobile. I know it is now admirable to "fat shame" and I am overweight myself but in some cases it is just weird to ignore the elephant in the room.

Kelly should have asked her about her weight and if she has any plans to lose weight after the show ends. Why ignore it in an interview? It is just weird. 

From what I read, they had a plot where she would lose some weight, but she did not want to do it because it would be "fat shaming" and things like that

when most people are not that weight because it is insanely unhealthy

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, LoveLeigh said:

That doesn't sound like anything any good lawyer would allow their client to put into a contract (or let their client sign if they're on the other side of the deal). There have been a myriad of stories, and subsequent retractions, about what is and isn't in Chrissy's contract, so I wouldn't put any stock into this one.

FWIW, Chrissy is making six figures per episode at this point, so she can certainly afford to pay for a bariatric surgery herself if that's what she wants.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, LoveLeigh said:

Why ignore it in an interview? It is just weird. 

Because it is nobody's business. because her weight might involve a medical condition and that's nobody's business, because as curious, "shocked" or whatever we might be, she has no obligation to satisfy our misplaced "concern" about her health or even our curiosity about how she "manages" to live

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
3 hours ago, circumvent said:

Because it is nobody's business. because her weight might involve a medical condition and that's nobody's business, because as curious, "shocked" or whatever we might be, she has no obligation to satisfy our misplaced "concern" about her health or even our curiosity about how she "manages" to live

I want to hug you now. So well said. And it verifies what it was said in the first season: "It's always about the weight". Once you are obese, there is nothing else that people let define you.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, LoveLeigh said:

She now looks like those on My 600 Pound Life. I am surprised she is mobile. I know it is now admirable to "fat shame" and I am overweight myself but in some cases it is just weird to ignore the elephant in the room.

From what I recall, Chrissy's contract states that she can lose weight or not, that the show will accommodate her storyline at whatever weight she happens to be.  Most actors signed to long-term contracts do have appearance clauses in that they are not allowed to change their appearance substantially without consulting with the bosses.  I think that Chrissy's 'appearance clause' simply allows her to be free to lose weight or not, which, since her weight is a significant part of her story; is about as clear as it can be that TPTB weren't going to pressure her either way.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, circumvent said:

I disagree. When you are in the public eye and famous, it is weird to ignore the obvious. It IS the viewer's business to ask why. Why not? And if she has no obligation to discuss it she should say that.

I am not "concerned" about her weight or her health. She makes her choices and I do not care. I am curious why she chooses not to lose weight. I would like to even hear her say: I am happy being overweight and do not care. 

• Love 2