Type keyword(s) to search

Kate: Chrissy Metz

atomationage
  • Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I heard a snippet that she thought her stepfather insisting that she weigh on a scale as a child was abusive.....that kind of made me wonder about her allegations, because, parents do have a responsibility to monitor their child's health....so....I don't know.  From what I've been seeing lately with morbidly obese people......there seems to be a skewed sense of reality of when they were kids.

Could have been more upsetting since he was her stepfather. He was trying to "fix" her and he wasn't one of her parents. May have crossed a line in her mind.

His name is Trigger... #TriggerWarning

Edited by BoogieBurns
His name
  • Love 4

Yes, I suppose that he might have had good intentions, but, not a good manner about it.  But, if you do nothing, then what? The child continues to gain and become even more obese.  I have witnessed that in my extended family.  Adults did nothing and the child steadily gained, with no talk of health concerns, no guidelines on calories, treats or types of food, etc.  Then, as an adult, he was morbidly obese with no control on eating at all.  I'd be surprised if he makes it to 40 and he's now in his twenties.  

• Love 3
(edited)
36 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

, I suppose that he might have had good intentions, but, not a good manner about it.  But, if you do nothing, then what

She also claims he hit her over it. I have no idea of the family dynamics but it doesn't seem to be the place of the stepfather and also clearly didn't work.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
37 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

She also claims he hit her over it. I have no idea of the family dynamics but it doesn't seem to be the place of the stepfather and also clearly didn't work.

Yeah, hitting isn't going to work for overeating, or most anything else.  Except create more problems.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It's not anyone's place to hit anyone else, especially a child.

I believe Chrissy. The stepfather probably thinks it was just "tough love" but his actions undeniably had a traumatic effect on her.

• Love 4
(edited)
13 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

It's not anyone's place to hit anyone else, especially a child.

I wasn't suggesting it was anyones place to hit a child, just that Chrissy is alleging more than insisting she regularly weigh herself.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

A happy, well-adjusted childhood with a loving mother and stepfather is not going to sell books.  Heck, she didn't even write it all herself.  There's a "with" co-authorship, most probably the person who wrote it with some input from Ms. Metz.  At this point, I don't know who is telling what truth.  All I know is the truth that we can all see.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, CelticBlackCat said:

A happy, well-adjusted childhood with a loving mother and stepfather is not going to sell books.  Heck, she didn't even write it all herself.  There's a "with" co-authorship, most probably the person who wrote it with some input from Ms. Metz.  At this point, I don't know who is telling what truth.  All I know is the truth that we can all see.

We can't know for certain, but I think if Chrissy's allegations had been false, her mother or one of her siblings would have come forward to dispute them. If she deliberately lied in the book, both she and the publisher would be liable for defamation. As much as I think the book is a vanity project, it's being distributed by a large, reputable publishing company - William Morrow - who wouldn't publish something like that without doing some fact checking.

5 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

We can't know for certain, but I think if Chrissy's allegations had been false, her mother or one of her siblings would have come forward to dispute them. If she deliberately lied in the book, both she and the publisher would be liable for defamation. As much as I think the book is a vanity project, it's being distributed by a large, reputable publishing company - William Morrow - who wouldn't publish something like that without doing some fact checking.

I didn't read the book and don't know what all she alleges, or the exact language she used.  If you think people don't publish falsities because there could be a libel claim, then you are mistaken.  (I don't want to start an argument with you about this, I like you!)  People can publish what they like and put the other person in the position of having to prove their version of the truth or denying allegations.  How many people write books, articles, etc. about dead people and they're not there to defend themselves?

I agree about this book being a vanity project.  It also serves as her excuse as to why she is morbidly obese and doesn't do anything more or different to remedy the situation.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, CelticBlackCat said:

People can publish what they like and put the other person in the position of having to prove their version of the truth or denying allegations.  How many people write books, articles, etc. about dead people and they're not there to defend themselves?

Yes, absolutely, but in this case a) the person in question is still alive, b) Chrissy has several siblings who lived in the same household and I'm sure would have spoken up if what she wrote about him was an out-and-out lie, and c) it's not a tabloid article or a social media post; book publishers do have higher standards (though they're not perfect, of course). Plus, if she's outed as a liar, the show's ratings would take a hit. You can't have a tearjerking, "all the feels" type of show with someone who's a known fraud.

16 minutes ago, CelticBlackCat said:

(I don't want to start an argument with you about this, I like you!)

Thank you, I like you too! I'm not trying to start an argument either, it's just my impression that she'd have more to lose than to gain if she lied. I'm happy to agree to disagree. :)

• Love 2

What she wrote about her stepfather hitting her is pretty serious abuse.  She also says he apologized and she forgave him, and she loves him dearly.  She is quite a generous-spirited person, I think that is a very tough thing to set aside and forgive.  She says all she wanted was acceptance from him and when he wrote her a letter saying he was proud of her after she moved to California, she was happy with that.  I give her a lot of credit. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I wonder if the implication is they wanted her to be one of the bad auditions that gets aired.  Why else would they want her on the show while not liking her voice (her words)?

Her weight. Her weight would be the story, the hook for her character. The very fat woman with the pretty face and okay voice: how far can she go? It sounds as if This Is Us drew on that experience for the storyline in which Kate is hired by Jami Gertz for the same, wrong reason. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

What she wrote about her stepfather hitting her is pretty serious abuse.  She also says he apologized and she forgave him, and she loves him dearly.  She is quite a generous-spirited person, I think that is a very tough thing to set aside and forgive.  She says all she wanted was acceptance from him and when he wrote her a letter saying he was proud of her after she moved to California, she was happy with that.  I give her a lot of credit. 

I’m always supportive of people speaking the truth, especially when it comes to abuse - the only thing I wonder about is, if he apologized and Chrissy forgave him, wouldn’t she give him a heads up that this was coming? Or did she?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

But would the show tell her, "We don't like your voice but we want you on because of your weight"?  That doesn't seem likely.  

Not, "We don't like your voice," probably; that was Metz's shorthand. But asking her if she'd like to take her chances and move on to the next stage: probably with a handful of other decent-enough contestants who (she realized) also showed promise as potential stories? That's what I took from what she said about what she believed they had in mind. 

38 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I also think it's odd she wanted to be taken seriously as an artist, not the fat lady, but she chose a song called "Heavy Heavy" to audition with. 

I wonder if she originally picked the song to show that she's "in on the joke" but didn't feel good about it after the audition. But yes, odd choice for someone who wants people to look past her weight.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, nexxie said:

I’m always supportive of people speaking the truth, especially when it comes to abuse - the only thing I wonder about is, if he apologized and Chrissy forgave him, wouldn’t she give him a heads up that this was coming? Or did she?

I don't know if she did or not, but she had to know that writing about this would necessarily cast him in a bad light and would probably undo some of the relationship progress they made.  Maybe she decided writing about it was more important than his feelings. 

• Love 3
On 4/4/2018 at 3:43 PM, Winston9-DT3 said:

Hmm....interesting article. I'm trying to place how Metz would have had an audition with Nigel Lythgoe like that.  It doesn't fit with how they do their auditions for AI, based on what I've seen Back then, I watched every season.  Here's an article that describes how it happened in 2007, which was Season Six of the show.  Judges then were Cowell, Abdul and Jackson. 

http://americanidol.wikia.com/wiki/Season_6

Also, would the producer just tell a contestant that they just don't like their voice, crude like that?  On that show even completely tone deaf, horrific singers are given nice words in parting.  This makes me very suspicious.  

On 3/22/2018 at 8:33 PM, Winston9-DT3 said:

If it makes anyone feel better, my 17 year old daughter (who is stick thin) says her body isn't the ideal now, it's more the curvy, Kardashian thing that's what all the young girls want.  In some ways I'm glad if it is changing but I also feel sorry for her for feeling out of vogue, like we all do and did.  And I figure the curvy girls probably envy her twiggy look because that whole "only fat in the ass" thing isn't exactly natural or attainable, either.  

I watch a lot of Riverdale, and one thing that sticks out to me is that the girls on that show are allowed to have curves. It wasn't like when I was watching Dawson's Creek or The O.C. as a tween/teenager and seeing the girls getting progressively skinnier. Sarah Michelle Gellar and Rachel Bilson were especially painful to watch.

Would anyone like to discuss what a horrible mother Kate would be? Adopted or biological. She’s a narcissist. They make the worst mothers. 

I feel like we're supposed to think that Kate and Rebecca are way more alike than they'd like to think but I feel like Rebecca genuinely wants to be a nice person while Teen and Adult Kate just seems to seep bitter meanness, like they're pissed that they don't look like a Disney Princess and the world owes them something for that. I get having a chip on your shoulder but if she hasn't changed by almost 40, it doesn't seem like she ever will.

But yeah, in the real world, Kate would make a HORRIBLE mother.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 9

She would make a bad mother if she didn't work out her issues, with herself or her mother. It can come out in ways you don't expect. I knew a woman, very nice at my gym, had 3 kids and was a recovering bulimic. She used exercise to keep herself in check and to help her mood. She was never that large but had a mother that stressed thinness and looking a certain way, she married a man who liked to "dress her" would buy her expensive clothes in NYC while at work and was picky about her looks. Her 2 sons were fine but her daughter got larger and larger, she just didn't care, fed her what she wanted, it was like a slap to her mom who probably voiced her feelings. The poor girl was caught in the middle. I'm sure there were more issues than I could see but I could see Kate's character doing just what her dad did and Toby lamely giving advice.

I feel the show can't figure Kate out, a lot has to do with Chrissy, because if she chooses not to lose weight, they are limited in doing certain scripts but they don't have to make everything about weight. Sure babies are harder with heavier weight, there are bias's with adoption or other issues, but she can do something without weight being an issue. Can't she?

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, debraran said:

I feel the show can't figure Kate out, a lot has to do with Chrissy, because if she chooses not to lose weight, they are limited in doing certain scripts but they don't have to make everything about weight. Sure babies are harder with heavier weight, there are bias's with adoption or other issues, but she can do something without weight being an issue. Can't she?

I agree that they don't know what to do with her beyond show how messed up she is as a result of Jack's death.  Can she do something without weight being an issue?  Well, we have briefly seen her be quite competent at her job and her organizational skills, but that ship has sailed.  They need to give her something beyond her fertility quest but I don't think they will.  She's putting all her eggs in one basket, no pun intended, and that is going to be her sole focus and it's not the most interesting to me. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I watch a lot of Riverdale, and one thing that sticks out to me is that the girls on that show are allowed to have curves. It wasn't like when I was watching Dawson's Creek or The O.C. as a tween/teenager and seeing the girls getting progressively skinnier. Sarah Michelle Gellar and Rachel Bilson were especially painful to watch.

I feel like we're supposed to think that Kate and Rebecca are way more alike than they'd like to think but I feel like Rebecca genuinely wants to be a nice person while Teen and Adult Kate just seems to seep bitter meanness, like they're pissed that they don't look like a Disney Princess and the world owes them something for that. I get having a chip on your shoulder but if she hasn't changed by almost 40, it doesn't seem like she ever will.

But yeah, in the real world, Kate would make a HORRIBLE mother.

2 hours ago, debraran said:

She would make a bad mother if she didn't work out her issues, with herself or her mother. It can come out in ways you don't expect. I knew a woman, very nice at my gym, had 3 kids and was a recovering bulimic. She used exercise to keep herself in check and to help her mood. She was never that large but had a mother that stressed thinness and looking a certain way, she married a man who liked to "dress her" would buy her expensive clothes in NYC while at work and was picky about her looks. Her 2 sons were fine but her daughter got larger and larger, she just didn't care, fed her what she wanted, it was like a slap to her mom who probably voiced her feelings. The poor girl was caught in the middle. I'm sure there were more issues than I could see but I could see Kate's character doing just what her dad did and Toby lamely giving advice.

1 hour ago, ShadowFacts said:

I agree that they don't know what to do with her beyond show how messed up she is as a result of Jack's death.  Can she do something without weight being an issue?  Well, we have briefly seen her be quite competent at her job and her organizational skills, but that ship has sailed.  They need to give her something beyond her fertility quest but I don't think they will.  She's putting all her eggs in one basket, no pun intended, and that is going to be her sole focus and it's not the most interesting to me. 

Yes, there are a million storylines they could do with Kate that do not have to be about her weight. I sort of understand Rebecca but she takes it too far. I had a mother that still to this day criticizes my appearance immensely. She thought I was fat when I was 5'4" and 90 pounds. I have gone the opposite way with my daughters and have tried to tell them that they are beautiful no matter what and that true beauty comes from the inside. However, I make sure my daughters respect me and they are both pretty healthy (thank goodness) when it comes to nutrition and weight. Rebecca thinks she should be Kate's punching bag because Jack undermined her with Kate and she probably feels guilty for "letting Kate get this way after Jack died". Kate thinks Jack is so perfect but it is obvious that "Jack's love at first sight" with Rebecca was because she was a beautiful woman with a pretty voice. It had to be because Jack knew nothing else about her at that moment. If Rebecca was Kate's size I doubt Jack would have been so enamored and babbling to his friends about how he found "the one". Jack enabled child Kate and Toby enables adult Kate. She has grown up to marry a man who will never say no to her and wants nothing more than to make her happy. I am sure Kate will take good care of him during the depression storyline but up till now, it has always been about Kate.

• Love 7
On 10/4/2018 at 7:11 AM, qtpye said:

I am sure Kate will take good care of him during the depression storyline but up till now, it has always been about Kate.

I would like to see that, because I have yet to see Kate care about anyone but Jack.

• Love 7

Didn't Kate take good care of Toby after his heart attack?  I think there was also some mention of Kate being a very supportive sister to Kevin during some bad times. I'm really just asking because my memory of the past seasons is not that sharp.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Didn't Kate take good care of Toby after his heart attack?  I think there was also some mention of Kate being a very supportive sister to Kevin during some bad times. I'm really just asking because my memory of the past seasons is not that sharp.

Yes. I remember that being one of her issues in Season 1--she didn't really have a life or an identity besides being Kevin's assistant. 

But I don't remember Toby being down for long after his MI. Wasn't he trying to have sex right away? Or maybe he was just joking. 

• Love 1

I'm trying to recall what Kate did as the organizational person.  I recall it a little.  Sadly, the singing thing didn't work out.  I'm just trying to figure out why they don't go with the actor's personal philosophy.  Doesn't she claim that she's fine with her size and feels comfortable at her weight?  Then, the show should see how that works out in the character of Kate.  I suspect they don't do that, because, it's not very believable.  I don't think that Chrissy really is fine with her size.  It looks like it would hurt to carry that much weight. The stress on her joints and muscles must be enormous. I recall the truth spoken by the bariatric doctor that she visited with her mom.  She cancelled the surgery, right?  (I'm not a proponent of surgery.)

I suspect that the reason that they struggle with Kate's employment, is what kind of thing could she really do? She couldn't have a job that requires too much standing. That rules out a lot of jobs in the medical field, retail (she once took a job for Toby's ex-wife, but, didn't really do it). Fitting into spaces would be difficult.  I know places have to accommodate, but, even with that, it would be hard for her to put that stress on her body for 8 hours, even with breaks.  She was a nanny for a short while.  I suppose that's a possibility, but, didn't she do something bizarre when the teen daughter bad mouthed her?  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
34 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm trying to recall what Kate did as the organizational person.  I recall it a little.  Sadly, the singing thing didn't work out.  I'm just trying to figure out why they don't go with the actor's personal philosophy.  Doesn't she claim that she's fine with her size and feels comfortable at her weight?  Then, the show should see how that works out in the character of Kate.  I suspect they don't do that, because, it's not very believable.  I don't think that Chrissy really is fine with her size.  It looks like it would hurt to carry that much weight. The stress on her joints and muscles must be enormous. I recall the truth spoken by the bariatric doctor that she visited with her mom.  She cancelled the surgery, right?  (I'm not a proponent of surgery.)

I suspect that the reason that they struggle with Kate's employment, is what kind of thing could she really do? She couldn't have a job that requires too much standing. That rules out a lot of jobs in the medical field, retail (she once took a job for Toby's ex-wife, but, didn't really do it). Fitting into spaces would be difficult.  I know places have to accommodate, but, even with that, it would be hard for her to put that stress on her body for 8 hours, even with breaks.  She was a nanny for a short while.  I suppose that's a possibility, but, didn't she do something bizarre when the teen daughter bad mouthed her?  

I have a theory about Chrissy and her character, Kate . Originally, as reported , the actress agreed to lose weight for the storyline. The reality was simply too hard while at the same time receiving fame and accolades for the show. The fame goes to her head and she flips the script and writes ( or has ghostwritten) a book about how she loves her body and is happy with herself ( I don’t believe this but your mind can play serious tricks on you ) and she receives even more fame and money for the feel good book. Now she also thinks she’s empowering other women by not losing the weight.

Its really hard to lose weight. Chrissy didn’t even try hard before she gave up and decided to run with the story that she’s happy with her body. 

Now the writers don’t have an interesting story line.

Kate’s the only character I don’t like. She isn’t written to be very likable. The only storyline I would be interested in is her losing the weight, so she could then develop an identity apart from being a fat person. Or maybe just becoming a bitchy skinny person. I’d even settle for that. 

• Love 7

You Kate fans out there, what do you like about her? I've always struggled to find something. I want to like her, but there's something about her that just doesn't work for me. Kevin and Randall have flaws but I've come to really love them. Help me out. 

• Love 11
14 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Why couldn't she have a position like the administrative job she had with Jami Gertz's character?

i suppose that isn't glamorous enough for the writers. That's a shame. I suspect they did that storyline just so Kate could interact with her boss's overweight daughter, and they could tie in Kate's relationship with Rebecca.

• Love 4

An administrative job is a good idea, but, often you have to sit at a desk a lot.  Based on the people that I know who are very obese and none of them as obese as Chrissy, they all have bad backs and can't sit for long or stand for long.  But, since Kate doesn't seem to have much difficulty with those things, that we know of, it might work.  I think the voice over idea is good too.  Maybe, the writers don't want to give her much of a career role. It must be nice to not need the money.  I suppose that she invested well when she was so tight with Kevin and he was on that sitcom. But, I think they said that they had combined all their savings for the IVF, so........hmmm...I guess, the job will have to wait.  

• Love 2
15 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

For the most part,  I have met very few people where weight gain wasn't a symptom of another underlying issue.  Usually stress of some sort.

The only exception to that, that I have seen is parents who are overweight having children that model their parent's poor eating habits.

Outside of that, if a bunch of siblings are skinny, and one is overweight, I would most likely believe that overeating isn't the cause.

Whatever Kate's underlying issues are, they haven't really been addressed  We saw her make a psychological breakthrough of sorts when she was drumming at that fat camp, tying it to Jack.  She dropped the gastric bypass idea, she just mentioned she lost 40 pounds but is stuck, but what help is she getting?  She should definitely be under medical care not just because she's trying for a baby.  She needs medical and mental health support.  She has been shown to be an overeater, just recently in the Philadelphia Story episode as a teen, and in her 20s sitting in her car outside the old house site on the anniversary of the fire, I think.  So they've shown it to have psychological roots, she's self-soothing and it has been long-term now, so pretty many shades of addiction.  The writers are kind of shackled, as Katekate mentioned above, because the actress hasn't lost appreciable weight.  But I still think realistically they have to address it and not by just having either a miracle pregnancy or a sad failure to have a baby.  It all goes back to her weight. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

Whatever Kate's underlying issues are, they haven't really been addressed  We saw her make a psychological breakthrough of sorts when she was drumming at that fat camp, tying it to Jack.  She dropped the gastric bypass idea, she just mentioned she lost 40 pounds but is stuck, but what help is she getting?  She should definitely be under medical care not just because she's trying for a baby.  She needs medical and mental health support.  She has been shown to be an overeater, just recently in the Philadelphia Story episode as a teen, and in her 20s sitting in her car outside the old house site on the anniversary of the fire, I think.  So they've shown it to have psychological roots, she's self-soothing and it has been long-term now, so pretty many shades of addiction.  The writers are kind of shackled, as Katekate mentioned above, because the actress hasn't lost appreciable weight.  But I still think realistically they have to address it and not by just having either a miracle pregnancy or a sad failure to have a baby.  It all goes back to her weight. 

I know Chrissy didn't want the gastric bypass or other treatments they have but I feel the writers would have jumped on it, a new drama to follow along with on TV and Kate would lose along with Chrissy Metz. The success rate though is tied to emotional issues mainly and I've unfortunately seem about 7 seven people over the years get them and only 4 keep the weight off, most gain some back, but they did a lot.  You might not be able to eat a huge meal but you can eat many small and not low cal.

I don't think the pregnancy story line is a good one but This Is Us loves things like this so we will see. You know if she does get pregnant, a miscarriage wont happen but a preemie will, and the drama of will the baby make it, etc.

I don't know how long the show will be on, if 3 or 4 years is it, but I do hope they have her character get counseling, maybe her and Toby. He's ready to shed his prosthetic tummy if they want him to lose weight but I don't think they will any time soon.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 5

I think the show runners initially had this idea of, how wonderful would it be to start with a huge actress, and then have her lose weight!?

When that didn't happen, they got stuck on Kate/weight. It's like they have tunnel vision and don't know how to write her as a fully defined character who happens to be overweight, and only see the weight as her defining character. 

• Love 5

I was hoping Kate would lose weight too.  I don't watch anymore but I did keep up with the unpopular opinions thread for awhile.  I am drifting away from that, too.  I stopped by here because I saw that she had worn a bathing suit for the first time recently.   I cannot imagine that would be a good experience for her.  Her weight is so profound that I doubt she will lose weight on this show.  It is far beyond a low carb approach.  A medically monitored liquid diet is probably her only option for success.  And even then could that be maintained.  I know how I feel wanting to lose 25 pounds, I cannot imagine her situation.  I feel badly for her. 

• Love 4

What I wonder is how NBC can even insure her. I also hope she's under the care of a doctor, because I don't see how she can possibly remain at that size and live a full lifespan. But yeah, it is tough. I follow the FB profile of John Elmore Smith, who weighed 650, lost 450 pounds, then gained it all back because they didn't treat his underlying causes. He is now hovering somewhere around 400-500 pounds and it's tough. At least Chrissy's weight seems stable.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

What I wonder is how NBC can even insure her. I also hope she's under the care of a doctor, because I don't see how she can possibly remain at that size and live a full lifespan. But yeah, it is tough. I follow the FB profile of John Elmore Smith, who weighed 650, lost 450 pounds, then gained it all back because they didn't treat his underlying causes. He is now hovering somewhere around 400-500 pounds and it's tough. At least Chrissy's weight seems stable.

I'm sure they require her to get regular checkups. I'd think the odds that she'll be alive and able to work for at least the remainder of the show are probably very high (barring any conditions we're not aware of). Especially with the level of medical care she can afford.

The opera singer Montserrat Caballé just passed away a little over a week ago at 85. She appeared to be roughly Kate's size up until the end. There's something to be said for being a celebrity, and having access to the best doctors around.

1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

The opera singer Montserrat Caballé just passed away a little over a week ago at 85. She appeared to be roughly Kate's size up until the end. There's something to be said for being a celebrity, and having access to the best doctors around.

Montserrat Caballé gained weight as she got older, but she was never as big as Chrissy. Here's a photo from 1981 when she was older than Chrissy is now and much smaller:

43364845320_1e7dac80c3_z.jpg

BTW, if Montserrat Caballé and Luciano Pavarotti were still alive, wouldn't it be great to have them play Kate and Toby in an opera version of This Is Us? All of the drama of the original, sung in Italian by beautiful voices.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

I'm sure they require her to get regular checkups. I'd think the odds that she'll be alive and able to work for at least the remainder of the show are probably very high (barring any conditions we're not aware of). Especially with the level of medical care she can afford.

On the other hand, being that weight increases the odds for stroke and heart problems and the best doctors in the world can't prevent that, otherwise there would be far fewer deaths from those, at all weights.  The best way is to lose weight.  It's pretty likely she has high blood pressure and that alone can bring on a stroke or cardiac event.  I think that is what happened to both her parents at fairly young ages, if what I read is accurate.  So she has family history plus obesity.  Montserrat had longevity but she had many serious health problems. 

• Love 3

I work for an Ortho group and knees usually start to ache under weight. I'm sure it differs person to person and age, but when I put on 25 I notice it, when I put on 50, they hurt a lot more.  She seems so uncomfortable, I wonder if she has joint issues. You can have bad labs and be thin and vice versa but you can't say that much weight on your heart and limbs is okay, the same as a thinner person. For that alone, I hope she loses some weight, not to be a model or fit another person's image, but to give those organs a rest.

It's hard, but the younger you are, the better it is. I've seen success stories and they all feel so much better. Emotionally though is the hardest work.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

On the other hand, being that weight increases the odds for stroke and heart problems and the best doctors in the world can't prevent that, otherwise there would be far fewer deaths from those, at all weights.  The best way is to lose weight.  It's pretty likely she has high blood pressure and that alone can bring on a stroke or cardiac event.  I think that is what happened to both her parents at fairly young ages, if what I read is accurate.  So she has family history plus obesity.  Montserrat had longevity but she had many serious health problems. 

If her blood pressure was above a certain level, I don't think they'd let her appear on the show.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Blakeston said:

If her blood pressure was above a certain level, I don't think they'd let her appear on the show.

If she's got high blood pressure and it is under control with medication, I don't think there would be any problem with having her as part of the cast.

18 hours ago, doodlebug said:

If she's got high blood pressure and it is under control with medication, I don't think there would be any problem with having her as part of the cast.

But if her blood pressure is under control, I don't think she's likely to drop dead from it within the next few years.

On 10/15/2018 at 6:11 PM, debraran said:

I work for an Ortho group and knees usually start to ache under weight. I'm sure it differs person to person and age, but when I put on 25 I notice it, when I put on 50, they hurt a lot more.  She seems so uncomfortable, I wonder if she has joint issues. You can have bad labs and be thin and vice versa but you can't say that much weight on your heart and limbs is okay, the same as a thinner person. For that alone, I hope she loses some weight, not to be a model or fit another person's image, but to give those organs a rest.

It's hard, but the younger you are, the better it is. I've seen success stories and they all feel so much better. Emotionally though is the hardest work.

I was thinking the same thing.  There is an incredibly small chance that she doesn't have some health problem or problems due to her weight (high bp, cholesterol, or blood sugar) that show up in labs, she has to either currently or soon will experience bone and joint problems.  That much extra weight puts a strain on all of your vital organs as well as your bones and joints carrying all the weight around.  She can sit there and say that she is happy with her body all she wants, but I'm not buying it.  She is not taking care of herself and abusing her body.  That isn't loving yourself.

• Love 6

I really think Chrissy  gets far too much criticism for not, "taking care of herself."  Where is it written that we all must care for our own bodies the  way a mother must care for her baby?  Chrissy is an adult and free  to take risks if she chooses.  Fitness has replaced religion for some people in our society and people are judging others for things like smoking the way they were once judged for adultery,   and not going to the gym is frowned on  like not going to church was 50 years ago. 

No one owes anyone else good health.  A smoker or obese person may rack up national health costs a bit more, but by dying younger  they use far less social security than the healthy people who live to be 90.

We all make health choices every day. Do we stay up late and not get our eight hours?  Ride our bike in traffic? Take that promotion that will mean extra stress?  Someone like Chrissy is judged so much more than those people because her  health decisions are visible, but they are still just choices and they are her own, unlike public smoking no bystanders are hurt if she eats cake.  Sometimes people find that, for them, the pain of hunger is far worse than the pain of sore joints or high blood pressure and so they continue to eat to satisfaction.  No one else can make that decision for them.

• Love 21

People are free to make their own choices, but, to me, Chrissy is in terrible pain or at least it looks that way to me. If her reality is that she's happy with herself, then, that's a reality that I don't buy.  I'd come closer to believing her if she just admitted that she struggles with weight.  Pretending to be so okay about it....I just don't believe it.  She's a human being though and I take no joy in ridicule. O  Obesity is a complex issue and by no means something you can snap your fingers to correct.  It's also not a morality issue, imo.  

Chrissy was on The Today Show this morning talking about how excited she is to be pregnant on the show.  I think it was Hoda who said something about her not going anywhere........was that a slip?  Where would she be going?  Hmmm.......OH, and Chrissy is in a new MOVIE.  She plays the mother of a young child who falls into a frozen river and is then revived from the dead!  Sounds pretty interesting.  

And, Chrissy is writing music.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4