Type keyword(s) to search

Kate: Chrissy Metz

atomationage
  • Start Topic

Even if Chrissy did talk about her weight in interviews, what could she possibly say to satisfy people's curiosity? Detail all the fad diets she's tried? Talk about how much she hates exercise? Discuss the pros and cons of bariatric surgery?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, LoveLeigh said:

I feel she would be more interesting if she discussed the obvious instead of ignoring it. 

I don't think she is ignoring her weight. She is ignoring morbid curiosity about her weight and making a decision that makes her feel comfortable, instead of discussing it just to please said morbid curiosity, maybe at a cost to herself. We don't know how she feels about it either. 

I mean, people have curiosities about all kinds of things, including kinky ones. I think some people would find some celebrities more interesting if they discussed how many times they have sex, and what positions they have tried. 

Privacy and respect beats curiosity. A public person is only public to the extent they decide to be. We don't get to decide how much they need to reveal about their lives, it is not our right at all.

• Love 9

Chrissy Metz wrote a book published in 2018 entitled This Is Me: Loving the Person You Are Today.  Perhaps what she has revealed about herself in the book would help explain away any curiosities one might have of her.  (I have not read the book.)

Talk show guests have limitations set by themselves as to what can and can't be asked ahead of time.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Even if Chrissy did talk about her weight in interviews, what could she possibly say to satisfy people's curiosity? Detail all the fad diets she's tried? Talk about how much she hates exercise? Discuss the pros and cons of bariatric surgery?

She might try being as open as those on My 600 Pound Life. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, circumvent said:

I mean, people have curiosities about all kinds of things, including kinky ones. I think some people would find some celebrities more interesting if they discussed how many times they have sex, and what positions they have tried. 

Privacy and respect beats curiosity. A public person is only public to the extent they decide to be. We don't get to decide how much they need to reveal about their lives, it is not our right at all.

I do not live with celebrities and their sex lives are not a visual I will ever see, hence I have no questions or interest in their sex lives. Her weight is the obvious every single time I see her. Her visual is not private, she puts it out there every time she is on TV.

I may have no right to know anything about her weight, but the question of why she is so obese becomes part of watching her every time I see her. And if I actually saw two celebrities having sex I might have questions about that too. My questions do not demand answers. But they are there and I personally feel that if she addressed that elephant in the room she would be more admirable instead of maintaining privacy about  it. 

It is sort of like Eugenia Cooney never addressing that she is anorexic and continuing to broadcast and display a body that is totally alarming. 

Eugenia

Edited by LoveLeigh
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I find it weird and unacceptable that there is a person in 2021 saying that a person needs to talk about their personal life just because they are famous. In my country if a journalist would even ask such a question they would be jobless the next second and criticized in social media.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, himela said:

I find it weird and unacceptable that there is a person in 2021 saying that a person needs to talk about their personal life just because they are famous. In my country if a journalist would even ask such a question they would be jobless the next second and criticized in social media.

I never said she "needs" to talk about her personal life. I said I would find it more admirable and interesting in an interview if she did. If you are in the public eye, I personally feel it weird to not talk about the obvious. But, it is her choice if she chooses to ignore it. 

I do not think a journalist should go there unless she first green lights the topic. And if she opened up, she would be praiseworthy and her story would be perhaps inspiring. She would be spectacular in the details and I would find her story fascinating and she would rise to a level of depth passing the interviews of those who ride a shallow wave on talk shows.

It would be 60 Minutes worthy not a Jimmy Fallon superficial laugh fest. 

But I read Joan Didion's "The Year of Magical Thinking." She opened up about her personal pain and she did not need to do that. In "The Center Will Not Hold" she detailed her struggles. No journalist forced her to do that. No interviewer in the documentary demanded she answer questions. She agreed... and the result is beyond breathtaking. 

Edited by LoveLeigh
  • Love 1

Bottom line, actors and actresses are real people who are doing a job.  Beyond that, they don't owe us anything else but to entertain us with the talents and materials they have.  May God bless everyone this holiday season and beyond.  I believe we are all doing the best we can.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, LoveLeigh said:

I never said she "needs" to talk about her personal life. I said I would find it more admirable and interesting in an interview if she did. If you are in the public eye, I personally feel it weird to not talk about the obvious. But, it is her choice if she chooses to ignore it. 

I do not think a journalist should go there unless she first green lights the topic. And if she opened up, she would be praiseworthy and her story would be perhaps inspiring. She would be spectacular in the details and I would find her story fascinating and she would rise to a level of depth passing the interviews of those who ride a shallow wave on talk shows.

It would be 60 Minutes worthy not a Jimmy Fallon superficial laugh fest. 

But I read Joan Didion's "The Year of Magical Thinking." She opened up about her personal pain and she did not need to do that. In "The Center Will Not Hold" she detailed her struggles. No journalist forced her to do that. No interviewer in the documentary demanded she answer questions. She agreed... and the result is beyond breathtaking. 

RIP Joan Didion.

17 hours ago, LoveLeigh said:

As I watch the documentary about Joan Didion, "The Center Will Not Hold," those interviewed about her say the most interesting thing about her is that she "opened up." 

I don't understand why you're drawing parallels between Joan Didion and Chrissy Metz. Joan Didion chose to write about her grief of her own accord, and I'm sure it wasn't because someone said "she's a public figure and her husband and daughter died within a year of each other, so people are really curious to know how she feels."

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 5

Chrissy Metz also wrote a book and opened up about her personal pain. It was just not the 'pain' you (apparently) want to know about. Perhaps interviewers don't question her about her weight because she's presented herself as it not being a topic up for discussion, which is entirely her right. I wonder if she had a large nose, or crooked teeth, would you expect them to question why she doesn't fix them?

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9

An actress is a public figure who only has the "obligation" to talk about her work. The actresses who don't behave like that and they want to be in gossip magazines and shows about irrelevant stuff are the ones who people don't respect and mock. Chrissy is there to talk about her work and not satisfy your need for gossip. I still don't get why this kind of posts are there for young people to read and feel bad if their bodies are not what show biz expects them to be.

• Love 6
On 12/24/2021 at 3:11 PM, CrystalBlue said:

Chrissy Metz wrote a book published in 2018 entitled This Is Me: Loving the Person You Are Today. 

I didn't read the book, nor would I, because calling it "This Is Me" when the cover has been photoshopped to make her look about 300 pounds lighter, is so hypocritical.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, MBayGal said:

I didn't read the book, nor would I, because calling it "This Is Me" when the cover has been photoshopped to make her look about 300 pounds lighter, is so hypocritical.  

i just looked at the cover and holy moly that is such a myspace angle that someone would use on a dating site to make themselves look better

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, MBayGal said:

Most often than not, writers don't have control over what goes on the cover of their books. This is common practice even with titles. It does't mean she didn't have any control it means that it is totally possible, even likely, that she didn't. It is the same with magazine covers and headlines in newspapers. They are not written by the journalists, they are decided by the editors. 

I haven't read the book but if she is open about who she is, then you can bet she didn't choose to photoshop the picture. Contracts are traps, publishers pay a certain amount to the writers - specially in this case, where the writer is a celebrity and likely had an advance - they will do whatever they think will sell more books. It is all about the profit margin for the publisher

• Love 2
On 12/26/2021 at 7:01 AM, LoveLeigh said:

As I watch the documentary about Joan Didion, "The Center Will Not Hold," those interviewed about her say the most interesting thing about her is that she "opened up." 

Well her job was to open up because she was a writer. Why should Chrissy open up?

16 hours ago, MBayGal said:

I think the answer is right there in what comes after the " : "   Loving the Person You Are Today.  Whatever reasons she chooses not to talk about her weight are her own. It just might be that she is happy with herself as she is in any given moment, whether or not that is incomprehensible to someone else.

She has certainly not shied away from red carpets and television interviews or how she is filmed for the show, so I don't think the photo on the cover of the book automatically pegs her as a hypocrite. There is no other physical attribute that is judged so harshly as a person's weight (over or under). I am endlessly glad that posting an honest image of oneself isn't required in order to post on the internet. 

• Love 3
On 12/29/2021 at 12:44 PM, himela said:

Well her job was to open up because she was a writer. Why should Chrissy open up?

Joan Didion did not have to open up because she was a writer; her books did not have to be autobiographical.

Chrissy shouldn't have to open up and does not have to. I am not all that interested in her personal life anyway. She would be more interesting if she did but if she chooses not to.... she will rent no space inside my head.

Edited by LoveLeigh
  • Love 1

I realized it is not Chrissy Metz that is all that interesting to me. It is her weight issue that I find fascinating.

I started binge watching My 600 Pound Life, which for some reason I never watched before. I find the personal journeys of these people amazing. I love listening to them talk about their struggles and how they got to a place of morbid obesity.  So I will go over to that forum for conversations about their stories. 

Happy New Year. 

Edited by LoveLeigh
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ll be interested to see what projects Chrissy does next.  It appears so far the only thing she’s done since TIU is an animated film.  

I've read that she's more interested in pursuing her music career at this point.

(edited)
23 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I've read that she's more interested in pursuing her music career at this point.

Oh…..well….I wish her all the best.  I suppose she has her fans.  I find there are a few celebrity women actors who just love to perform.  Mandy Moore performed a song from her new album last night on Fallon.   It was ok. Rita Wilson is on tour now, I think.  If you can afford it and love it then, go for it.  They are okay singers, but I don’t understand why they think they are specially talented vocalists.  ………actually, maybe I spoke too soon.  She’s really good on this country song.  This is the best I’ve heard from her. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ll be interested to see what projects Chrissy does next.  It appears so far the only thing she’s done since TIU is an animated film.  

Chrissy was the lead of faith-based film Breakthrough (2019).

It was successful for the genre and a song from the movie got nominated for an Oscar. Chrissy performed it at the ceremony (and other award shows):

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, maggiemae said:

Wow...she does have a voice.

Never saw it on TIU.

Wow.  If they had let Chrissy shine with her singing on TIU, she would have given Rebecca a run for her money.  They could have changed the storyline and Kate's personality to be more of a talent.

• Love 2
(edited)
55 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Chrissy has a much better voice than Mandy Moore and Rita Wilson, imo.  

Mine as well...but nothing to do with the show.

Even daddy Jack telling her she did and yet putting the brakes on his wife's singing.

We never saw Kate's outstanding voice on the show. Let alone being in choir in high school or much to do with music other than that boyfriend.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 1