Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E18: Providence

• Start Topic

In the previews, Coulson is seen wearing a parka so one would assume that the team is headed for 'The Fridge', but it would really suck to find out that it is located in Rhode Island (as opposed to some place actually cold, since it's 'The Fridge', like Svalbard Islands off Norway or maybe Iceland or Greenland).

In the promo we see Garrett holding something and saying "Welcome to Hydra".  Is that not the thing that they slingshotted to the Sun in episode 2?  The Tesseract weapon that was stuck in the Peruvian/Incan temple? 

In the previews, Coulson is seen wearing a parka so one would assume that the team is headed for 'The Fridge', but it would really suck to find out that it is located in Rhode Island (as opposed to some place actually cold, since it's 'The Fridge', like Svalbard Islands off Norway or maybe Iceland or Greenland).

In this sneak peek it seems that the Fridge is actually located on a beach. (Actually it kind of looks like the Burj Dubai, lol).  I think the team, sans-Ward is actually on a separate mission. 

From that 2nd promo clip, I can't believe that

Ward/Garrett are trying the old 'Wookie prison transfer' con from Star Wars.

For an organization that is big on secrecy, having 'The Fridge' be located in a ridiculously high tower seems ... well .... ridiculous

Well, this is the same "secret" organization that travels around in lots of black vehicles with the prominently displayed logo that couldn't announce themselves any more unless they were sticking their heads out the windows and shouting "SHIELD's here!"

They mentioned that at PaleyFest:

How is S.H.I.E.L.D. a secret organization if they have their logo all over everything?

This is a common complaint among the sort of people with too much time to think about this sort of thing, and Gregg answered this way: "The organization is not a secret. What we do is." Bell jumped in to add, "I will say that there's an espresso machine on the plane that has a S.H.I.E.L.D. logo on it." "And a trash can!" shouted someone else. Gregg capped it with, "And Fitz can make you a latte where the foam is a S.H.I.E.L.D. logo."
  • Love 4

From that 2nd promo clip, I can't believe that

Ward/Garrett are trying the old 'Wookie prison transfer' con from Star Wars.

For an organization that is big on secrecy, having 'The Fridge' be located in a ridiculously high tower seems ... well .... ridiculous

Don't forget Garret Coulson and the team pulled the same stunt last week ;)

This is a common complaint among the sort of people with too much time to think about this sort of thing

Once again, it's the viewers' fault for being unappreciative of the bounty laid before them, and not the show's fault for insufficient world-building.  True fans, unlike losers, never complain.

• Love 7

Yeah, they're not doing themselves any favors when they keep insulting the people they want to watch their 'perfect' show. I still can't believe someone like Clark Gregg made the same sort of comments.

This is a common complaint among the sort of people with too much time to think about this sort of thing

So they want us to watch the show, preferably in our droves, but they don't want us to actually pay attention to it or think about it in any way? Sheesh.

• Love 2

Maybe they want us to watch it and utterly enjoy it (or else we're not real fans) and then once it's over not think or talk about it again until the next one comes on?

It's frustrating that Clark Gregg said that to me too because if you of how ridiculous that generalization is for this show. It's a geeky comic book show, they might want the target audience to be more general, but the people Gregg is talking about is the Core Audience, the geeks who wanted to see a show driven by Whedon. I don't understand why Gregg wouldn't want to be apart of a show that has a clear World built around great mythos and carefully driven plot line. Maybe that's just me then....

Back to the show, no one has actually seen this episode yet? This time last week the show was on Hulu Plus. I'm sort if excited by the fallout both of the Winter Solider and Ward's decison last week. I hope the show really changes for the better after these episodes...

Clark Gregg didn't say that -- all he said was, "The organization is not a secret. What we do is." That comment about fans having too much time on our hands was from the publication itself, Yahoo TV. 

• Love 4
Maybe they want us to watch it and utterly enjoy it (or else we're not real fans) and then once it's over not think or talk about it again until the next one comes on?

I really think that's what they want us to do because the more we think or talk about the show, the more we see the plot holes and bad writing.  If everyone just sat and blindly watched, it would be the best show ever and no one would complain. 

• Love 1

Oh, sorry Cranberry, I was inferencing...I thought he had said that. Goes to show I should have read the article myself. I just wished that this show had a Geek working on it would get to sit there and say "Nope, that makes no sense" or "Show more, tell less."

I'm pumped for the back-to-back episodes. Here's hoping Agents of Shield go big.

• Love 1

For the first time all season i actually enjoyed Ward.  I'm sure he won't stay evil forever, but I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts. 

Something I can't say I enjoyed much was Clark Gregg trying to bring major emotion outside of the secret base.  Fairly cringeworthy there I hate to say.  He's much better at the quiet scenes than his is trying to show a ton of emotion.

That was a fantastic hour.  Still a lot to process.  The fact that Coulson was brought back not due to Fury's orders is kinda huge and creepy.  I had a hunch that the Guest House was Hydra. Darn Hydra and their fascination with blue...  I thought Clark Gregg did a good job with his snow meltdown (pun intended).  But I'm unable to be critical of his acting or character.  It's like someone programmed my brain to be on the same wavelength... WAITAMINUTE!

• Love 1

Awesome episode.

For the second week in a row Coulson pissed me off.  Last week he treated May like crap, and this week there was his treatment of Triplett.  Yeah, he fought along the side of Garrett and was with him, but you were also Garrett's friend, and allowed him onto The Bus.  So get off your damn high horse, Coulson.

I'm a fan of Ward actually being 100% HYDRA.  No deep cover, or brain washing, he's HYDRA.  It was his mission to infiltrate the team.  Thank you writers.

Please don't do a Fitz, Simmons, and Triplett love triangle.  Have Fitz and Skye get together, and have Simmons and Triplett get together.  Ward's evil, so he can be tossed aside for Fitz.

I would have liked Patton Oswalt to say that Agent 13 was among the people Fury trusts.  We know he does, but it would have been great to hear her listed.

I hope it's not wrong to totally love Garrett, but I do.  Bill Paxton is just killing it with the smirks and one-liners (even saving the sucky ones).  A great villain can really do wonders for a show.  Same with Ward.  While I still worry they'll try something (he still has some kind of feelings for Skye, ugh), he continued to just flat-out murder even more SHIELD agents, so I really can't see him coming back from this, unless he ends up being brainwashed.  But he's much more entertaining as a bad guy, and I'm actually curious for next week, and to see how he plays everyone.

Looks like Coulson's tongue-bathing for Skye took a break this week, to spend time devoting everything to Nick Fury's "death."  Those two really do seem to be the most important things in his life.  I figured he would end up being right in the end, but he still bugged at times.  And Clark Gregg was surprisingly lackluster in his big scene.

Simmons still looks adorable covered up in a parka.  Loved her being vocal about her reservations and standing up for Triplett.

Fun appearances from Patton Oswalt and Adrian Pasdar as Glenn Talbot.

Yep, this show has become much better now.  Hope they keep it up and don't regress (i.e.: keep Ward evil.  Especially don't make him turn on Hydra because of his "love" for Skye.)

Skye and Coulson were both unbearable this episode. First, Skye tells-not-shows that turning in her SHIELD ID is hard for her because she finally belonged to something blah blah blah, but OH! It's probably so much harder for Coulson, huh? And then Coulson spends the rest of the episode all ME ME ME my pain my mission my SHIELD. Like May said, he's not the only one going through this. They've all lost something. I also enjoyed how spiteful Coulson is toward May for spying on him, while still feeling nothing but reverence and love for Fury who put her in that position in the first place. GRRRRRR.

I do like Ward better this way, but having him genuinely care about Skye is terrible. Please, writers. Like the song says, Let It Go. At least he does appear to be full evil and not brainwashed, so I appreciate that. I don't know how they'd bring him back from just wantonly killing SHIELD agents, so I hope they don't bother to try. Let him be the nemesis who can get under their skin, but don't try to bring him back on the team.

One upside that didn't happen in the movie and last week: somebody did the "Hail, Hydra!" double-armed salute. Come on, that shit is hysterical as hell. It's like the "Heil Hitler" salute wasn't good enough with one arm, and Hydra wanted to supersize it.

I dig Garret as the bad guy, because he's more entertaining than the good guys most of the time. Ward as Hydra also works . . . and I just realized why him not liking the Patriots is funny. Now . . . Adrian Pasdar with a pencil mustache? That's going to take getting used to . . . not to mention I have to accept that Talbot's death in Hulk is now officially non-canon, even though I consider that movie way better than The Incredible Hulk. Also: imagining Peter Petrelli needing an airplane to fly.

Patton Oswalt as the Desmond of SHIELD? Sure . . . why not? Only way he could be funnier is if his character is a fan of KFC's dinner bowls.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

More Patton Oswald and Adrian Pasdar, please.

The only way I would be happy with Ward redeeming himself because of Skye would be if his true feelings for her are like a big brother's. It's not that I have a problem with the actual age difference, it's that she is sooo immature.

I'm hoping Coulson's hissy fit will turn out to be one of the side effects of learning about Tahiti that May was concerned about. Maybe Coulson will eventually have such a big fit that he'll go all Hulk on HYDRA at a crucial moment.

And then Coulson spends the rest of the episode all ME ME ME my pain my mission my SHIELD. Like May said, he's not the only one going through this. They've all lost something. I also enjoyed how spiteful Coulson is toward May for spying on him, while still feeling nothing but reverence and love for Fury who put her in that position in the first place. GRRRRRR.

Coulson's behavior towards May doesn't bother me. I see it as him finding out that someone who he considered a close friend and confidant had been lying to him for months. They talked about everything and now he has to wonder what May had passed along to Fury. I think he sees Fury as a friend and mentor but still his boss but saw May as a true friend and he feels betrayed. If this is still going on next season, I reserve the right to change my mind. For now, this is just one more thing about his life that he views as destroyed and I get his anger.

Fitz is the one annoying me. You should've asked Simmons out if you're gonna get so jealous when she shows interest in someone else. I think he would feel better if he felt Tripp wasn't intellectual enough but he's turning into a whiny baby. I guess that Tripp distrust due to his Garrett connection will likely grow for everyone once they learn Ward is Hydra.

Suppose Coulson had just died for a few minutes before being revived.  He'd still have someone monitoring him and reporting on his behavior.  Why?  Because he's a high-ranking official in an agency that protected a whole lot of secrets.  Someone who has gone through a life-changing event is a potential security risk. 

May raised a valid point: finding out (some of) the truth has freaked him out and he's not quite firing on all cylinders.

The fact that Coulson was brought back not due to Fury's orders is kinda huge and creepy.

No, Fury ordered it.  May was pointing out that they don't know if the person who ran TAHITI was Hydra or not.  If I were on that team, I'd be a lot happier with May in charge.

• Love 3

What I thought was terrible of Coulson was to assume that FitzSimmons would want their identities scrubbed.  I mean he just gave the order to Skye without asking FitzSimmons if they wanted to carry on with him.  They, especially Simmons, seem like the types that really want to hold on to their identities.  Although I suspect part of their ease of letting go of their identities was the fact that they're officially terrorists, so.... 

I wanted to punch Ward in the mouth. Who is this guy??!  It's kind of sick (in a weirdly good and evil way) that he snowed the team so thoroughly.  But I can barely stand his stupid face when he's on screen.  Much less when he's talking to Skye. 

I think Raina will have her revenge.  She did not seem happy about the Clairvoyant reveal. 

Wasn't there a person in that swirling goopy destructive stuff at the end from one of the earlier episodes?

That swirling goopy stuff is from... ep. 3? I think it's from "The Asset", whichever episode that is.  It's gravitonium and is technically FitzSimmons' old professor (who's name escapes me right now).  

I had a suspicion that the thing Garrett was holding in the promo was the Tesseract weapon that was supposedly slingshoted in the second episode.  I wanted to high five myself for figuring it out before the big reveal. lol  

Also, I suspect we have our season 2 villains now-- all those prisoners they released from the Fridge. 

I hope it's not wrong to totally love Garrett, but I do.  Bill Paxton is just killing it with the smirks and one-liners (even saving the sucky ones).  A great villain can really do wonders for a show.

I agree. What I'm really hoping for is at some point for him to be in the same room as Fitz and Simmons, and have reason to bonk both of them on the head with a shotgun.

I want to have so much sex with Evil!Ward.

Hee! You mean Mr. "I'm everybody's type"?  Best Evil!Ward line by far.

One upside that didn't happen in the movie and last week: somebody did the "Hail, Hydra!" double-armed salute. Come on, that shit is hysterical as hell. It's like the "Heil Hitler" salute wasn't good enough with one arm, and Hydra wanted to supersize it.

Finally they are dealing with the fact that Hydra was Nazi inspired. From The First Avenger onward the X-Man franchise with especially First Class has done a better job of dealing with real world's nasty history in building the fictional universe then the MCU. And there was Garrett trying to recruit Raina, not just use her with a little trooper throwing out a Nazi salute.

So at the moment with Agents Hand (known to us) and Sitwell along with Director Fury thought dead. If they don't know our team knows he is Hydra along with Garrett. We are left with Agents Coulson and Blake as the known surviving senior SHIELD leaders. Only Coulson's post death assignment never seemed like a senior position to me. In an organization bigger then the Royal Navy one man with a team of five in one plane is supposed to be as senior as made out to be. With all the supposed specialness of Skye have we stopped to examine the specialness of team Coulson and its leader in total?

"Flowers" seemed very disappointed that there wasn't a real clairvoyant. I wonder what the question was that she wanted to ask and if she will go elsewhere to find the answer.

Yeah, definitely saw disappointment from Raina there, On the other hand, she appeared to continue to roll with the punches. Hopefully she'll serve as more than an exposition point for Ward in future episodes.

As for Quinn, I'm a bit surprised Garrett didn't just clock him for being an ungrateful nuisance

I liked the delivery of "are you threatening me?"/"One...hundred percent."  Just the right amount of pause.  And the whole losing a badge, gaing...a lanyard, but not for the entire team, was classic too.

Only way he could be funnier is if his character is a fan of KFC's dinner bowls.

I just heard Patton Oswalt's bit on this last week; it's classic and would be awesome if they could work in a reference. 

I did wonder why they didn't use Lola or the SUV in the snow instead of walking seven miles?  But maybe the trees were really close together, or they didn't want to leave tracks, or they were tired and didn't notice as they walked past the cars that they had cars.

• Love 1

How in the world did this show go from being a "Yeah, it's Tuesday night, and I've got nothing else to do, so I'll watch it" to "Oh boy, I can't wait to see what happens next!"?  That's really rare.  Looking back over the season, its obvious they were planting seeds the whole way to get to where they're at now.  I just wish the early episodes had been more fun so as to keep more of the early viewers watching.

Last night's episode was very good.  Things I especially liked:

1. Ward is actually a BAD GUY, and he explained how he snowed the team for all this time.

2. Bill Paxton is great as the villain.  Very funny and EEEEVVIILLL!

3. Agent Coulson seems like a real leader (both in SHIELD Control Room and later on the plane).  I'd follow him.

4. Skye did useful work rather than show off how wonderful she is.

5. The good guys still don't know about the bad guys -- fun!

6. The flower dress chick suddenly got interesting.  Based on her reactions, she's not completely on-board with the whole "there's no clairvoyant, just some macho dude with a lot of Intel" twist.

7. May is getting put in her place, and actually seems like a real person for once.  Spying on your close friend for your Boss doesn't go over well in any organization, no matter the reason for it.  Agent Coulson will get over it, but I'm glad she's suffering a bit for the time being.

8. Finally, SHIELD faced a problem with a lack of resources (food, fuel, repairs, transportation).  Good.  It's about time they had to struggle a bit with real problems rather than magically zip from Sweden to NYC to Abu Dabi during a commercial break.

9. The guy in the secret base was pretty funny, but not in an overly silly or outlandish way.  He's just a guy doing his job in a really boring place (wonder what he screwed up to get assigned there?).

10. "Do you play Call of Duty, Agent Coulson?"    "Of course!"  LOL

• Love 7

In reference to Clark Gregg's "losers" comment from the top of the thread... I listen to a podcast where the critic who asked the question is a contributor. The critic, Scott Pierce, isn't a long time Marvel universe "geek," but all the other panelists on the podcast are so he usually gives some outsider POV when Marvel comes up. From day one he was very supportive of the show even when other people on the podcast weren't really digging it. I thought it was interesting that he accidentally sparked that firestorm. 

Here's a link to the episode. If you are easily offended... don't listen to this podcast. Very NSFW. 

http://www.geekshowpodcast.com/new-episode-hates-dvision/

On a S.H.I.E.L.D related note - ITA with:

How in the world did this show go from being a "Yeah, it's Tuesday night, and I've got nothing else to do, so I'll watch it" to "Oh boy, I can't wait to see what happens next!"?

My first thought after seeing Cap was "How are they going to pull this off??!!" and I've really been enjoying the last few episodes. It's a shame that most of this season was really filler - what they took about 15 episodes to do could have been done in five - but now it's starting to get some steam. I like evil Ward, though the actor doesn't really have tons of range. Some of the lines felt a little flat, but thank heavens for Bill Paxton. 

How about we don't give Skye any romance? She has a tiny heart break over her crush being bad, and instead we let any of the series romance focus on Simmons, with some randomly hilarious cameo's from totally unexpected ex-boyfriends of May.

• Love 1

It's amazing how much better the show has become now that it's built up momentum and has some real stakes. 

- Evil!Ward is great. I hope he stays evil! But I fear he's a triple-agent.

- Does anyone know if Patton Oswalt will appear in future episodes?

- Now that Ward is evil and Skye seems actually competent, Fitz is the only clunker character on the show right now.

- Sucks that Nick stopped reviewing this *just* when it got good!

2. Bill Paxton is great as the villain.  Very funny and EEEEVVIILLL!

I kept seeing him deliver his EEEEVVIILLL! lines, and somewhere in the back of my head was his voice doing this same thing before.

When it finally clicked, I can now not stop thinking about it. I realize that it is a 30 year old movie, but I would be super happy if the writers would just throw me one bone like the one I referenced above. 

If this show were Chuck, I already would have gotten it.

Hee! You mean Mr. "I'm everybody's type"?  Best Evil!Ward line by far.

Aww, they must be a Teen Wolf fan because the first thing I thought was that Jackson said it with more conviction.

I think Raina (?) is in it for the tech, not the power. Also think she sees Garrett as nothing more than another cog in the wheel now instead of some powerful being. I think it kind of brought her down to earth on Hydra.

I actually don't hate Skye but I wish they would knock off the true romance thing. I believe a show is better off waiting to see where lighting strikes instead of trying to insert it. I'm just not buying her and Ward. In a way I think it's more Ward, no matter how interested he says he is, even to Garrett, it just doesn't come across on the screen. I'd still do him in a NY minute though.

I do have to say that I have enjoyed the last 2-3 episodes way more than I thought I would.  The fact that they are referening things from previous episodes...all the things in the weapons cache like Ward with the Berserker staff, the gravitonium, the particle beam weapon...makes me happy that I stuck with this show.  Hopefully now that they have things rolling they'll keep up the momentum.  Its just annoying that it took so long as they lost a good number of viewers along the way I think.  Hopefully they come back when they hear how much better its gotten!

• Love 1

I really enjoyed it, and there was so much done so well that I felt like I could just sit back and enjoy the ride (similar to elsewhere in the MCU). I loved seeing sarcastic and competent Coulson return, and loved the jumps between our team and evil Hydra (it's so much easier to get invested in the story and characters this way). They need to keep this up (and make sure we get a lot more of Patton Oswalt)! 

So map geeking a bit, I checked the coordinates of Coulson's badge. It is in Canada, north east of Timmons, Ontario, nearish the border of Quebec. That's mining country up there, (which makes an underground easier to make I suppose), in the middle of the Canadian Shield. :)

Overall, I liked the ep, especially for all the setup. I'm hoping Ward stays evil and the team finds out quickly. Trip will probably be around for the rest of the season and do the Heroic Thing to get killed, and Ward will probably be the local big bad guy to be the constant thorn in the team's side while they deal with the rest of the Fridge's breakouts. 

For non marvel fans, the reference to the guy with Lion paw hands is a reference to the Griffin (I knew it had to be a ref to someone but I didn't find it myself).

Personally, I'm still hoping/wishing that Fury's base there in Canada is an old Department H bunker. 

I was fine with Coulson up to a point. His attitude toward May doesn't bother me because she hasn't just hiding her working for Fury from him, she was the one who helped Fury manipulate him into 'choosing' the team he did. But I balked at him saying to Patton Oswald's character "I'm not comfortable keeping secrets from my team." I had to stop the episode for a minute and yell at the TV over that, Since when has that ever been a problem for him?

• Love 1
So map geeking a bit, I checked the coordinates of Coulson's badge. It is in Canada, north east of Timmons, Ontario, nearish the border of Quebec. That's mining country up there, (which makes an underground easier to make I suppose), in the middle of the Canadian Shield. :)

As a Canadian I literally scoffed at their "Canadian wilderness".  That looked like a Hollywood soundstage if there ever was one. Yikes.  X-Men 1 showed the Canadian wilderness in it's weirdly dark and scary looking way (yes, I realize that X-Men 1 filmed on location and this is in studio, but a little mimicry would go a long way).  This Canadian wilderness looked straight out of Chronicles of Narnia.

That being said, there are quite a number of real life hidden "bunkers" in Canada which are vestiges from the Cold War.  All of them are closed or sold off now, except for the Diefenbunker which is a Cold War tourist location. But hilariously, at the Diefenbunker in their cafeteria they had a wall sized mural of the Ottawa Valley.  The tour guide said that it was for in the event of a nuclear attack, the people living in the bunker would be able to "look out" in to the wilderness of the Ottawa Valley as though it was a "window" even though it was clearly a mural.  When the SHIELD bunker guy mentioned his mural, I lol'd at it.  Very accurate to a real life government bunkers. 

• Love 4

The fact that Coulson was brought back not due to Fury's orders is kinda huge and creepy.

No, Fury ordered it.  May was pointing out that they don't know if the person who ran TAHITI was Hydra or not.

Okay, I'm a little confused.  On rewatch, May says Fury ordered the surgery but did not oversee Tahiti.  So, is what happened to Coulson two parts?  Repairing his heart with blue goop = surgery.  Brain tinkering = TAHITI?  I think my confusion is due to Coulson's Tahiti illusion and the blue guy being behind a door marked Tahiti.

All in all a good episode. I liked Coulson's meltdown moment, how Fitz reacted suspicious and hostile to Triplett, hating changes and fearing maybe somewhat to lose Simmons or is special connection to her (no romantic feelings though). Koenig was fun.

So Ward seems to have been HYDRA for a long time, and different from Raina or Quinn known about that he is working for HYDRA. So far looks like no way of being a double or triple agent, and there was no sign of being brainwashed in this episode either. Or one could say in the same way "brainwashed" that many were who were influenced early on as teenagers by ideologies and mentors. Good, that makes this characters more interesting, and gives the show an intriguing bad guy.

Not so sure about the feelings for Skye as Ward's weaknesses though, but he has to have a weakness. He was annoyed Skye was shot. Potential for conflict with Garrett, HYDRA. Okay.  I was never as annoyed as others by SkyWard, thought pairing up anyone on the bus seriously romantic so early would have been no good, whoever, but the way they developed it with Ward and May and what SkyWard no means is something I can live with. As long as they don't make it any easy for Ward to come back if ever.

Raina is getting more interesting. She clearly was disappointed that Garrett was no real clairvoyant, that he had been lying, used it to cover his tracks. And she reacted shocked and scared when he mentioned HYDRA. At first. But she is playing along, quite sure having her own agenda though. Interesting that Quinn seemed put off as well, that The Clairvoyant was no real clairvoyant.

But Quinn shouldn't be so pleased to have his gravitonium back. Might be not that healthy for him.

Question: When did Garrett have the opportunity to grab some of the vials when they were in the Guest House? Didn't see him near any lab. But he said he loaded his vest there with as many as he could find.

Garrett thanked Ward for the "tip about the cellist". Interesting.

Also Garrett said to one of the guys he freed in the Fridge: "Don't forget to follow your dreams." Might come into play later.

Thought that losing control of the Fridge would mean plenty of headaches, but maybe be a honey pot for story telling. Or as Garrett put it: keep Coulson busy for a while.