Type keyword(s) to search

Four Weddings - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

YES!!!! I meant to add that to my post but my brain is soup (nice homemade chicken soup from hubby who whips it up whenever I get sick to ward off evil germs) ... I swear EVERY! SINGLE! EPISODE! someone comments "you can just see how much they're in love" which I finally realized means they cannot think of another nice thing to say. 

Also, the episode I watched earlier today (Bling-Blau) was the very first time I have EVER heard a bride come right out and say she hated another bride's dress. So much for my theory that hating the dress was off-limits (or could only be phrased as "not my style")

Mrs. Hanson, I love reading about your wedding!!! Wish we could have a little private photo album here! We're coming up on the one-year countdown to Little Snappy's big event so I'm doing everything I can to bite my tongue but the one phrase that keeps escaping is "No! Cake-In-The-Face! Smooshing!!!" (not that they would EVER do something like that, plus I think they're having ice cream sandwiches instead of cake). 

How fun to have ice cream sandwiches instead of cake!  My brother and his wife (back in the 80's) had a small ice cream truck/wagon which was super yummy!    We did no cake smashing either, just not my thing.  Ge back to page 17 or so and you can see a pic of me and hubby.  Our wedding was 10/7/17 so it was a few days after that.

Have fun planning Little Snappy's wedding!!  Try not to giggle when you come up against some of the heavy sitter sayings/themes from Four Weddings!

• Love 1

Reboot.  Show 3.  Texas sorority brides.

Wedding 1. Came in 2nd place:  Lonnie & Michael.  Fit for a Diva.  350 @ 55K.  White strapless crystal & beading mermaid gown.

Wedding started 30 minutes late.  45 minute drive from ceremony to reception venue.  Thought they were going to have to set another two  places for dinner because her boobs looked like they were going to spill out of her dress a few times right from the start.  Groom (son of a preacher man)went a little OTT getting the garter off ending up giving the bride a lap dance that knocked her off her chair.  He said he was going to get her pregnant right away and she announced she was pregnant at the reveal.

Wedding 2. Tied for 3rd place:  Raquel & Toryn.  Happily Ever After.  325 @ 30K.  A-line white gown for ceremony and pink mermaid dress at reception.

Horse and carriage entry for the bride for the ceremony.  

Wedding 3. Tied for 3rd place:  Carissa & Chadwick.  Southern Belle.  300 @ 30K. Same venue as Raquel.  White strapless crystal embellished bodice with full puffy skirt.

Weird re-entry of bride and groom to altar area after ceremony when the guests were told to leave and go to the cocktail area (cash bar).  We're told it is a Southern tradition for the couple to see the guests off.  Backdrop for the sweetheart table was shelves with candles that looked like a  display at at home goods store. 

Wedding 4.  Winner:  Kaala & Calvin. Dare to be Different.  400 @ 40K. Sleeveless white gown, semi sheer bodice with cream, full skirt.  Pants for reception.  Bridesmaids wore sleeveless rust jumpsuits (called rompers by one bride and overalls by another.)

Wine and beer with no nibbles at the cocktail hour.  Surprised she won because it seemed like the other three were tight and she was the odd woman out.

Connection:  All but Kaala were in the same sorority.  They met 5 years ago at the Texas Sorority Picnic.

Stupid pre-wedding brides get-together:  Awkward conversation during a chocolate lava cake cooking lesson.

Stupid pre-wedding grooms get-together:  Awkward conversation over a pool table.

Just like the last two episodes, all four weddings were  pretty much the same.

Four Weddings Bingo:

Not my style.

Point off because people weren't dancing.

Complaints about lack of uniqueness.

Too casual.

Bitching about the offerings at the cocktail hour.

Food is cold.

Speaking of food, what was up with one of the brides having dinner served only to the sweetheart table and table with the contestants while the other 300 plus guests had to stand and wait in a buffet line? Didn't catch her the win though.

Edited by ichbin
spacing and food
  • Love 4
On 8/1/2018 at 10:50 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Yes bitch, you are a guest here angling for a free honeymoon, take your one meat, your two sides you are eating for free and sit your bony ass down!!

Right up there with another classic. . ."No shots?!?!?!" 

• Love 3

I think we need a "it started late" square. As well as "there was nothing different about the wedding."

That last one really gets me.  So the winner tonight had a lot of unique touches.  The colors were non-traditional.  The cake had a unique look to it, only to have someone criticize the geometric shapes on the cake.  The bridesmaids had jumpers but it was dinged as too casual even though the fabric looked like silk.  And then the pantsuit she wore at the reception, with all its lace, was amazing and clearly fit her personality but then that was dinged for being too casual.  Too casual?  Uh huh. 

And that's why I don't like the "unique" category.  If you try to win that, you will get dinged everywhere else from the dress not being bridal enough to things like the food not fitting the theme of the wedding. But then everyone gets criticized for just having a wedding.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, ichbin said:

Reboot.  Show 3.  Texas sorority brides.

Wedding 1. Came in 2nd place:  Lonnie & Michael.  Fit for a Diva.  350 @ 55K.  White strapless crystal & beading mermaid gown.

Wedding started 30 minutes late.  45 minute drive from ceremony to reception venue.  Thought they were going to have to set another two  places for dinner because her boobs looked like they were going to spill out of her dress a few times right from the start.  Groom (son of a preacher man)went a little OTT getting the garter off ending up giving the bride a lap dance that knocked her off her chair.  He said he was going to get her pregnant right away and she announced she was pregnant at the reveal.

Wedding 2. Tied for 3rd place:  Raquel & Toryn.  Happily Ever After.  325 @ 30K.  A-line white gown for ceremony and pink mermaid dress at reception.

Horse and carriage entry for the bride for the ceremony.  

Wedding 3. Tied for 3rd place:  Carissa & Chadwick.  Southern Belle.  300 @ 30K. Same venue as Raquel.  White strapless crystal embellished bodice with full puffy skirt.

Weird re-entry of bride and groom to altar area after ceremony when the guests were told to leave and go to the cocktail area (cash bar).  We're told it is a Southern tradition for the couple to see the guests off.  Backdrop for the sweetheart table was shelves with candles that looked like a  display at at home goods store. 

Wedding 4.  Winner:  Kaala & Calvin. Dare to be Different.  400 @ 40K. Sleeveless white gown, semi sheer bodice with cream, full skirt.  Pants for reception.  Bridesmaids wore sleeveless rust jumpsuits (called rompers by one bride and overalls by another.)

Wine and beer with no nibbles at the cocktail hour.  Surprised she won because it seemed like the other three were tight and she was the odd woman out.

Connection:  All but Kaala were in the same sorority.  They met 5 years ago at the Texas Sorority Picnic.

Stupid pre-wedding brides get-together:  Awkward conversation during a chocolate lava cake cooking lesson.

Stupid pre-wedding grooms get-together:  Awkward conversation over a pool table.

Just like the last two episodes, all four weddings were  pretty much the same.

Four Weddings Bingo:

Not my style.

Point off because people weren't dancing.

Complaints about lack of uniqueness.

Too casual.

Bitching about the offerings at the cocktail hour.

Food is cold.

Speaking of food, what was up with one of the brides having dinner served only to the sweetheart table and table with the contestants while the other 300 plus guests had to stand and wait in a buffet line? Didn't catch her the win though.

5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I think we need a "it started late" square. As well as "there was nothing different about the wedding."

That last one really gets me.  So the winner tonight had a lot of unique touches.  The colors were non-traditional.  The cake had a unique look to it, only to have someone criticize the geometric shapes on the cake.  The bridesmaids had jumpers but it was dinged as too casual even though the fabric looked like silk.  And then the pantsuit she wore at the reception, with all its lace, was amazing and clearly fit her personality but then that was dinged for being too casual.  Too casual?  Uh huh. 

And that's why I don't like the "unique" category.  If you try to win that, you will get dinged everywhere else from the dress not being bridal enough to things like the food not fitting the theme of the wedding. But then everyone gets criticized for just having a wedding.

I haven't watched this show in ages, but I just saw this episode.

I thought the first wedding got low scored because she was first & because the other brides expected her to be the biggest competition. I was horrified for her when the groom knocked her off the chair gyrating during the garter belt thingie. 

It seemed like the second bride blew her budget on the Cinderella carriage ride. It was an exquisite carriage though! The horses were beautiful! She had 2 blah dresses instead of 1 fabulous dress. And the other brides had a hard time swallowing her cold food.

I was surprised the third bride tied for last place. I thought she should have won or been second, behind the first bride. I also thought she did a great job considering her budget was $20,000 less than the first bride. I think she will reget that sparkly headband years from now.

Color me shocked when the fourth bride won. Her venues & decor were lovely. I thought the "rust" color was an odd choice, but it actually looked nice. The plastic cups, limited bar & lack of food at the cocktail reception was also odd, because the inside of the venue was so well appointed. I felt bad for the groom when he walked behind the bride to exit the ceremony. They weren't even holding hands. Awkward. The glass encased chandeliers were beautiful, but the entire wedding party had to dodge them while walking in. With her groom being a man of size, she should have re-thought the placement a little. It was interesting that in the 3 years they had been together, they had never lived together. Also, the bride was wearing a camoflauge jacket at one point, so I guess she's in the military?

Almost all chicken with sauce & vedge at these receptions. Meh. In real life, I wouldn't think anything of it. However, watching on tee-vee I was longing for surf & turf or something different. Also, the long buffet lines weren't cool; you have to stagger the guests, let some remain comfortably seated until it's their turn.

2 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

I was horrified for her when the groom knocked her off the chair gyrating during the garter belt thingie. 

Haven't been watching because of the new format - but this definitely sounds like it's worth looking at!

OMG - I just looked at a clip of the "garter" thing.  Could he be any more vulgar?  Just disgusting.  Why does anyone think it's cute to climb under the bride's dress? 

Okaay - still not going to watch.

Edited by WarnerCL45
Watched the clip
  • Love 4

I told myself not to invest two hours in this show, but I did. It was more interesting than the other one I watched (the family one), but still two long hours. 

All the weddings seemed nice but pretty similar, with big hits and misses. A couple of the wedding cakes were stunning. The one covered in piped roses, sparkly stones, gold was a work of art. That cake was carefully proportioned and painstakingly detailed. It must have taken a chunk out of the wedding budget. 

Lonnie pulled off some kind of engineering feat keeping her low-cut strapless wedding dress in place. She did it again with a red off-the-shoulder guest dress. She also had some elaborate false eyelash and metallic eyeshadow thing going. No wonder she's late getting to places. 

Raquel? Carissa? had spent a lot of time in the hospital being treated for lupus. Her port left a scar on her chest. It looked photoshopped off of one still shot, but she didn't appear to have tried to cover it. Good for her. 

The brides praised the good vegetables at the meals. Maybe the veggies were more interesting than the bland chicken entrees, but I love shoutouts for vegetables. 

Nobody was mean, and they all seemed to like and respect each other.

I need to find something to do on Saturday nights. Even the cats won't sit with me though this show. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, WarnerCL45 said:

Haven't been watching because of the new format - but this definitely sounds like it's worth looking at!

OMG - I just looked at a clip of the "garter" thing.  Could he be any more vulgar?  Just disgusting.  Why does anyone think it's cute to climb under the bride's dress? 

Okaay - still not going to watch.

Did I mention the groom is a PK (Preacher's Kid)? So, the room likely contained members of his parent's congregation...

• Love 3

Absolutely loved both Kalaa’s dress and jumpsuit. She looked gorgeous in both. While I would have loved more snark, all four brides seemed really nice, and all four weddings looked like great parties.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, rlc said:

Absolutely loved both Kalaa’s dress and jumpsuit. She looked gorgeous in both. While I would have loved more snark, all four brides seemed really nice, and all four weddings looked like great parties.

What I really liked about it was that they were really friends or "friends" so they actually had known one another for at least five years. So they would have mostly likely have been invited to each other's wedding so they were able to enjoy attending them without the competition getting in the way. I also liked that all the husbands went to most of the ceremonies because in real life they would be their plus ones.

The jumpsuits looked nice and Kalaa look great in both dress and jumpsuit. Her decor was gorgeous and everyone had fun, so I think it was the right choice that she won.

Edited by nilyank
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

Even the cats won't sit with me though this show

Cats know a crappy reality show when they see one!

3 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

id I mention the groom is a PK (Preacher's Kid)? So, the room likely contained members of his parent's congregation...

Seriously?  Charming!  I wish they would do away with the garter thing anyway.  So juvenile and just not nice.

• Love 4

Could barely stay awake during... wish I been asleep during that horrific display over the garter.  Great videos to show the kids someday.

I really didn't like any of the dresses. The first bride's was almost obscene.

Personally, I did not like the rompers. But I thought Kaayla was the right winner regardless.

That's about all I got on this one.  This show is torture to get through & at the end never feels worth the trouble.

• Love 3
On 8/4/2018 at 9:57 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Have fun planning Little Snappy's wedding!!  Try not to giggle when you come up against some of the heavy sitter sayings/themes from Four Weddings!

I'll have fun listening to Little Snappy plan her wedding and be happy to chime in if she asks for my opinion LMAO!!! I've been keeping a double dose of Orajel on hand for all the times I bite my tongue when I see ideas etc. on one of these shows that I think might work for them (a very unconventional bride and groom) but I think she realizes that and has been humoring me by keeping me much more in the loop than I'd have expected/hoped for!

But yes, I've seen some pretty hilarious ones (and sent her the meme of 23 douchey hipster things not to do at your wedding or whatever that's called, and I've seen almost ALL of them on 4W already!!!)

• Love 2

Watched a rerun yesterday where I saw the lowest score given (of all I've seen that is...)  21 year old "waiting for marriage" gave model bride a 2 because she didn't take her ceremony seriously??  Not.  About.  YOU!  This was the same episode where they all called for Italian take-out because there was no food.  So rude.  So, so rude.  

Has there ever been a score of 1 or 0?  Any other 2's?

• Love 1

Best part of the cringeworthy garter display was at the end when the bride said "I think I'm pregnant."  I enjoyed this Four Weddings but in this format....it's just too damn long.  

• Love 5

It certainly helps to tape it and FF through the boring parts. I don't even listen to the banter before the limo comes!

I liked the last bride's wedding best, her dress was stunning. But 8 bottles of wine at cocktail hour and no food screams, "Oh, people don't eat at cocktail hour. We won't need to provide food."

• Love 2

All four of these wedding were very opulent and basically the same. Thank God for DVR because I’m FF my way past all the boring back story’s and  unnecessary conversations. 

Add me into the group of everyone surprised Kaala won. I loved her dress but she changed into a romper. I can never understand why you pay so much for a wedding dress and then not wear it for the whole day/evening. 

I also thought that the groom practically causing bodily injury to the bride during the garter retrieval was in poor taste. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, vmcd88 said:

Best part of the cringeworthy garter display was at the end when the bride said "I think I'm pregnant."  I enjoyed this Four Weddings but in this format....it's just too damn long.  

The groom did go too far, but I loved the bride's reaction to falling. "I almost died... I'm pregnant now."

I enjoyed watching this group. They all seemed to be genuine friends but also gave honest criticism. But as many have said 2 hours is way too long and there is no variety in the weddings so TLC really needs to go back to the original format.

• Love 5

I gave up Say Yes to the Dress because it had gotten so ridiculous and this new format is about to cause me to take this show off the DVR. It takes me several days to view because I can only stomach one bride at a time and I FF through all the groom bonding. 

Although those lanterns are pretty when in the air, and especially over water, I worry about damage they can do while aflame and the impact on the environment when the flame goes out and they fall. I presume they add to the waste in water, in trees, etc. Seems irresponsible to me. But it's all for the win, I guess!

Why can't couples sit at a table with some of their family or guests? What's the purpose of the sweetheart table? 

• Love 5

I totally agree on the lanterns. 

Head tables are all for special attention. The sweetheart table allows the attendants to sit with their partners at least. But yeah I agree there really is no need to be on display, unless you're into that kind of thing. I saw a Four Weddings Canada where the bride got docked down for not having a special entrance or any head table.

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Why can't couples sit at a table with some of their family or guests? What's the purpose of the sweetheart table? 

Like Quof said, attention.  Us?  We ate at the same table as our guests.  We only had two long tables and as long as me, hubby, my kids our Best Man were next to us, I was cool.  They were the bridal party after all.

To be at a table?  Alone? Eating on display?  No thanks.......

12 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

a special entrance or any head table.

Yeah, we did something REALLY revolutionary:  We walked in.  To no music.  Then we turned and greeted our guests as they filtered in,  Revolutionary, I TELL YOU!!!!  And we arrived in....wait for it.......mu hubby's car.  No limo (yuck, sorry) no carriage (I can't express how non "me" that is) and hubby was driving, no horns blowing.  Just us.

• Love 3

I dislike the new format as well but I thought this group of sorority sisters worked a lot better than previous groups. I have friends that were in sororities and that sisterhood bond is pretty crazy! 

I would have been mortified had my husband did what the first one did at the garter toss! My poor family would have probably literally died in their seats.

I don't attend many weddings- most of my peer group are already married but I did attend my cousins wedding last year. She had a buffet dinner except for immediate family (parents, aunts, uncles, cousins). We were served a plated meal of all the offerings on the buffet. I had never seen that before and I did appreciate it because I had my three young kids with me and logistically navigating a buffet with three extra plates would have been a nightmare for me. On the downside there was a lot on the plate I just couldn't eat because there was so much food and some things I would have passed on had I been serving myself. For the bride on the show though it made no sense to serve the contestants sit down style and no one else. That would make me knock off points not add them. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

<snip>

2 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

<snip>

Yeah, we did something REALLY revolutionary:  We walked in.  To no music.  Then we turned and greeted our guests as they filtered in,  Revolutionary, I TELL YOU!!!!  And we arrived in....wait for it.......mu hubby's car.  No limo (yuck, sorry) no carriage (I can't express how non "me" that is) and hubby was driving, no horns blowing.  Just us.

I haven't been to a wedding in literally decades (most when I was a child - youngest of many, many cousins who were all 10+ years older than me). All of the weddings I attended had a receiving line -which gave the bride, groom, and their mothers and fathers - a chance to personally thank each guest for attending and gave each guest the opportunity to congratulate the bride and groom and thank the parents for their hospitality. Having a receiving line (right after the ceremony and before the reception) allowed the bride and groom time to participate in and enjoy their reception, instead of having to personally visit every table to speak with each guest during the reception.

Also, head tables instead of sweetheart tables! IIRC, the bride and groom, their parents, the Maid/Matron of Honor and Best Man, and all the bridesmaids and ushers - all sat at the head table. That was nice, because if any guests wanted to chat a bit more with any of those people, they were easy to find (and the people seated at the head table got to enjoy their meal and had a good view of the party without being interrupted by guests calling to them from across the room).

I don't know why those two traditions seem to have been eliminated in favor of the "sweetheart table". To me, it doesn't serve either the couple or the guests better than the head table (if anything, with the bride and groom "front and center" like that it seems to me THEY will be the ones most likely to be called upon by guests or vendors if there's an issue simply because they'll be the easiest to find).

• Love 1

Sometimes people in the bridal party have spouses who are not in the bridal party, so the sweetheart table ends up being just for the bride & groom & the others can sit together.

I also haven't been to a wedding in a long time but every one I had been to the bride & groom were almost never sitting, but always circulating or on the dance floor. The short time they sat was for the meal & everyone else was eating then too.

• Love 1

It's also been a while since I've attended a wedding, but within 10 years or so.  One I was invited to, but didn't go to (within past 2 years).  I saw pictures.  No real theme.  Colors in shades of blue and the groom had to have a table with his role playing crap (fake swords, shields) on it.  I was like, oh hell no.  I know it's his day, too, but no.   This is a 40 something year old man, with teenagers.  No.  It was her first wedding, daughter of a preacher.  I sent a nice gift from an online registry.  Yeah, it lasted less than 3 months.  No living together ahead of time, which may have been a mistake.  Still no idea of what went wrong, except polar opposites in core beliefs (she was very fundamentalist Christian, he was agnostic or atheist).   But even with that wedding, which was at a lovely venue, no real 'theme'.

I suppose for this show, they have to 'name' the wedding (just like on real estate shows they name houses that the buyers are choosing from sometimes).  I just cannot get with having a theme.  You can say I want a vintage feel or décor or maybe that's your style, but when you have too much of the stuff, it looks like an overblown sweet 16 party.  

I saw the start of the sorority sisters episode and passed.  I was sure they'd have the little dances that I've seen some 'sisters' do, that would go on and on and on...…. I also don't have two hours to sit and watch 4 very similar weddings.  What is missing is the diversity from one wedding to the next.  I know one show that was in Miami (area) had a beach wedding, a hotel wedding, a wedding at a winery, and one that was in a small club venue.  All very different.  It made the show so much more interesting.

For the bingo card:

The ceremony was too long.

I don't know a thing about this religion.

The vows were so heartfelt and touching (again, I hope so!)

No alcohol

A whole pig!

It wasn't to my taste/standards

Morning wedding, reception is breakfast/brunch

BLAN (B-L-A-N!) Maybe the free spot?

It goes against my religion/values (as in tarot reader, palm reader, Halloween décor)

I think she's my biggest competition

I don't like that style of dress; I don't like lace

Oooh, a candy/sweets bar!!

The party never seemed to get started/we really partied

I didn't see much of her theme presented

It was too traditional/it wasn't very traditional

Not enough flowers, too many flowers, flowers were too tall

Couldn't hear/see at the ceremony

• Love 4
8 hours ago, hoosier80 said:

Still no idea of what went wrong, except polar opposites in core beliefs (she was very fundamentalist Christian, he was agnostic or atheist).

Geeeez, did they know each other at all before marriage??

8 hours ago, hoosier80 said:

All very different.  It made the show so much more interesting.

Totally agree.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, gonecrackers said:

Geeeez, did they know each other at all before marriage??

Yes they did, and each thought the other would change after marriage.  Yeah, because that happens ALL THE TIME!

9 hours ago, hoosier80 said:

For the bingo card:

The ceremony was too long.

I don't know a thing about this religion.

The vows were so heartfelt and touching (again, I hope so!)

No alcohol

A whole pig!

It wasn't to my taste/standards

Morning wedding, reception is breakfast/brunch

BLAN (B-L-A-N!) Maybe the free spot?

It goes against my religion/values (as in tarot reader, palm reader, Halloween décor)

I think she's my biggest competition

I don't like that style of dress; I don't like lace

Oooh, a candy/sweets bar!!

The party never seemed to get started/we really partied

I didn't see much of her theme presented

It was too traditional/it wasn't very traditional

Not enough flowers, too many flowers, flowers were too tall

Couldn't hear/see at the ceremony

We clearly have way too many creative people on this thread!!!!  These are a stitch!!!    We have forgotten about the post limo chats as well:

Some people can't appreciate taste

I wanted anyone to win except _______

I was too edgy for them

I was the real winner as I married my best friend

I wouldn't change a thing

• Love 4

I had taken this show off my DVR but since I’m from the St. Louis area I may have to find it and watch. I still know my $8000 wedding would have been crucified on this show unless all 4 weddings had been from my area. Weddings around here are a whole different animal all together. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

What's the purpose of the sweetheart table? 

I'm gonna chime in with a possible reason (note: Mr. Snappy and I did something similar when we got married in the paleolithic era and I don't think the term "sweetheart table" had even been invented -- if it had been, I hadn't heard it! -- and it was NOT because of wanting attention but because of the reason I'm going to give ... now ... said Anne Elk):

When you have families (four of them, possibly ... bride mom fam, bride dad fam, groom mom fam, groom dad fam) who like to cause draaaaama and will turn who sits with the happy couple at the "BIG IMPORTANT MAIN TABLE" into a Hatfield vs. McCoy-style issue, sometimes the best way to prevent more agita is to create a little table and have four concentric tables ALL IN EQUAL DISTANCE FROM YOU and put each family at one, sort of like a compass.

In our case, we had the "convenience" -- LOL -- that none of the parents were connected to each other anymore due to one case where mom had died but her parents and siblings were alive so they made up one table whereas dad's family sat with him at his table, and one where couple was divorced and both remarried and everyone was still alive and each had table for their spouse and families. So it was an easy four-table split.

ETA: The "immediate families" counting second spouses etc. would have come to way too many people for a head table, but add to that the fact that they did not get along with each other at all, and this was definitely a blessing. 

At least that worked for us. Those who saw fit (read: lots) could all find eleventy mazillion OTHER things to complain about but where they sat in relation to happy couple wasn't one of them. 

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I'm gonna chime in with a possible reason (note: Mr. Snappy and I did something similar when we got married in the paleolithic era and I don't think the term "sweetheart table" had even been invented -- if it had been, I hadn't heard it! -- and it was NOT because of wanting attention but because of the reason I'm going to give ... now ... said Anne Elk):

When you have families (four of them, possibly ... bride mom fam, bride dad fam, groom mom fam, groom dad fam) who like to cause draaaaama and will turn who sits with the happy couple at the "BIG IMPORTANT MAIN TABLE" into a Hatfield vs. McCoy-style issue, sometimes the best way to prevent more agita is to create a little table and have four concentric tables ALL IN EQUAL DISTANCE FROM YOU and put each family at one, sort of like a compass.

In our case, we had the "convenience" -- LOL -- that none of the parents were connected to each other anymore due to one case where mom had died but her parents and siblings were alive so they made up one table whereas dad's family sat with him at his table, and one where couple was divorced and both remarried and everyone was still alive and each had table for their spouse and families. So it was an easy four-table split.

ETA: The "immediate families" counting second spouses etc. would have come to way too many people for a head table, but add to that the fact that they did not get along with each other at all, and this was definitely a blessing. 

At least that worked for us. Those who saw fit (read: lots) could all find eleventy mazillion OTHER things to complain about but where they sat in relation to happy couple wasn't one of them. 

Isn't that sad that parents turn a wedding meal into a Hatfield McCoy type thing?  Good gosh I would be:  SIT AND EAT!!  I purposely did NOT sit with my siblings at my wedding last October because, well, we see each other all the time!! In fact a friend came to me later and was like, "Was I at the Family Table? If I was I am sorry!"  I said, no we are all pretty chill about stuff.  There was no assigned seating, save for me, hubby and kids.

• Love 1

I'm loving the bingo challenge!

A couple more:

They had a mashed potato bar!!!! (these brides are clearly deprived of mashed potatoes)

________________ was a nice touch.

She looks so happy!

(The previously mentioned not enough food/too much food drives me crazy!)

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Beaner said:

(The previously mentioned not enough food/too much food drives me crazy!)

I know!!! I actually totally get "not enough food" ... if you know how many people are coming, going out of their way to get there, bringing a gift, etc., PLEASE do them the favor of making sure they get fed. 

But I've seen "too much food" in at least two episodes recently (not to be confused necessarily with recent episodes since I tivo'd a metric crapton of episodes to keep me amused between true crime Discovery ID shows all summer) where one of the brides down-graded for "too much food." Girl, get a grip and stop trying to win so hard.

Now some of them aren't even TRYING to make sense of their scores other than to penalize their best competition ... one comment I saw last night was "it was lovely, pretty much perfect, her dress was gorgeous, the food was fabulous, the venue was spectacular but she had a live band instead of a DJ which I personally prefer so I give her a 6."

• Love 4

I will admit that more often than not I don't have a hopeful winner but do have a hopeful loser  based on a bride's stank attitude.  Which I know has nothing to do with the wedding itself.

I watched a rerun yesterday with "quirky" Renee. A tall redhead from New York. She was utterly annoying. One of the other contestants called her quirky. That would not have been the word that I would have used. I say that I found her the most annoying of the brides schowcased even compared  to her competition: one woman who wore what looked to be a futuristic spacesuit wedding dress and another who had a puppet as her ring bearer.

• Love 2

I know!!! I actually totally get "not enough food" ... if you know how many people are coming, going out of their way to get there, bringing a gift, etc., PLEASE do them the favor of making sure they get fed. 

But I've seen "too much food" in at least two episodes recently (not to be confused necessarily with recent episodes since I tivo'd a metric crapton of episodes to keep me amused between true crime Discovery ID shows all summer) where one of the brides down-graded for "too much food." Girl, get a grip and stop trying to win so hard.

Now some of them aren't even TRYING to make sense of their scores other than to penalize their best competition ... one comment I saw last night was "it was lovely, pretty much perfect, her dress was gorgeous, the food was fabulous, the venue was spectacular but she had a live band instead of a DJ which I personally prefer so I give her a 6."

You would be shocked at how many real life brides try to skimp here, usually by having a cake and punch reception.  That is fine for a 2pm ceremony, followed by cake and punch in the fellowhip hall for an hour (still not my cup of cocoa) but some brides will try to do that at a 6pm wedding.  No, they get food - FOOD food.

Second bolding:  Then give her a an 8 or 9 - start with a 10 and go down from there.  No way does you preference for a DJ merit a four point drop.

40 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I will admit that more often than not I don't have a hopeful winner but do have a hopeful loser  based on a bride's stank attitude.  Which I know has nothing to do with the wedding itself.

I watched a rerun yesterday with "quirky" Renee. A tall redhead from New York. She was utterly annoying. One of the other contestants called her quirky. That would not have been the word that I would have used. I say that I found her the most annoying of the brides schowcased even compared  to her competition: one woman who wore what looked to be a futuristic spacesuit wedding dress and another who had a puppet as her ring bearer.

I remember this one!!  The PUPPET as a RINGBEARER?  Omg -my hubby would have had a field day with that one.  I would have too, by the way.  Didn't she name it and bring it everywhere with her?  That chick was NUTS.  Tall "quirky" Renee was no prize either.

And I, too, have a hopeful loser in every episode based on a sour faced bride.  The whole "It is MY DAY!" attitude has got to go.  No, it isn't.  When you and hubby elope to Florida, Hawaii or wherever, just the two of you, you two can do whatever you want.  When you invite any other people, it becomes about THEM and their comfort.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I remember this one!!  The PUPPET as a RINGBEARER?  Omg -my hubby would have had a field day with that one.  I would have too, by the way.  Didn't she name it and bring it everywhere with her? 

Yes, she did. 

4 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I tivo'd a metric crapton of episodes to keep me amused between true crime Discovery ID shows all summer...

Wait, I think we might be sharing a TiVo.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

My husband is just mortified when he looks at the queue of what I have on tap ... luckily, he controls the yoooooge living room TV and I get to pick everything on the bedroom TV (Four Weddings, 90-Day Everything, a pot-pourri of Discovery ID true crime shows, Autopsy: The Last 24 Hours, and, in season, Grey's, the Deuce, Food Network Star -- which I'm now OVER, I tell you -- and Are You The One which returns TONIGHT!!! Oh, and Bachelor in Paradise) ... now if they would just bring back Toddlers and Tiaras, my life would be complete.

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

If I had a Tivo?DVR we could be best friends.

4 hours ago, Enigma X said:

Yes, she did. 

I think she named it Murray.  I swear that just came to me, no looking it up. 

That girl needed a friend, a TRUE friend who would say "Guuuurl, we know you love Murray but you are NOT having a hand puppet as a member of the wedding party."

• Love 4
On 10/9/2017 at 9:14 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Sorry the above post is so big:  I can't make the picture smaller.  I tried to put one in of me and my new hubby but he is six foot seven and his head kept getting cropped off!!  My two sons were my "best men" and the day was just about perfect!!  Just an awesome day with family, friends and lots of love.  

PS - for all my griping about "doing something special with your hair".......the day had a very light rain, it was humid and my hair drooped as the day went on.  This picture was right before the gathering ended.

Super glad for all the decisions we made - simple weddings are the best!!!  (At least for us!!!)

So....I give my dress ($60 off Amazon) a 9, my food was a 10, my venue was a 10 (MN Landscape Arboretum - can't be beat!) and my overall experience was a 10!!!

Of course.......it sprinkled a little - HORRORS!  There were no props and all that stuff......more horror!!!  But it was just a great day - I think it was almost perfect.   Perfect for us, at least!!  Okay - I finally got one that works!!! LOL!  Sorry for taking up so much space!!!  We had a hard time keeping straight faces on this shot:  we normally don't look into each other's eyes so intensely!!!  

22310446_10214538159197131_2440910495886555004_n (1).jpg

So, yeah, I'm TEN MONTHS LATE ON THIS ... but Mrs. Hanson, You! Guys! Are! A! 120!

• Love 9

So, yeah, I'm TEN MONTHS LATE ON THIS ... but Mrs. Hanson, You! Guys! Are! A! 120!

Aw gee, shucks.....thanks!  Please note my $3.00 rhinestone headband $2.00 clip on earrings and thrift store "pearl" bracelets.  The pearl necklace was the real deal though, lol.  And yes the bouquet is what I described over the phone, on my lunch break the Tuesday before.  "Yeah, white flowers, around $65.00 sounds good.  White roses and carnations?  Okay!"  Low key me.

Yes the other guest brides would have went to town on me!!!  LOL!

• Love 5

We were pretty low key too.

Let's get married on a yacht--that sounds nice.

Tried on four dresses, bought the fifth one- $450

Flowers-roses for my bouquet, roses and tulips for everything else. Sounds good!

Cake tasting-couldn't find one I liked the look of, saw one already in the fridge at the shop--that looks nice, I'll take one like that!

Menu- everybody gets a duet of salmon and steak. No problem!

The only thing that was fussed over was my husband didn't want to wear a white vest with his tuxedo. He thought black was better. Nope!

He wore white.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Aw gee, shucks.....thanks!  Please note my $3.00 rhinestone headband $2.00 clip on earrings and thrift store "pearl" bracelets.  The pearl necklace was the real deal though, lol.  And yes the bouquet is what I described over the phone, on my lunch break the Tuesday before.  "Yeah, white flowers, around $65.00 sounds good.  White roses and carnations?  Okay!"  Low key me.

Yes the other guest brides would have went to town on me!!!  LOL!

You look gorgeous (not to mention radiant). I love everything about it! I would have definitely nailed the pearl necklace as the real deal, by the way ... it looks exactly like the one I wore at my wedding, which had belonged to my grandmother. It was one of the only "real" jewelry items I had (I LOVE thrift shop finds and craft fair headbands). 

• Love 2