Type keyword(s) to search

La La Land (2016)

VCRTracking
  • Start Topic

I saw this tonight, I liked it a lot, I get the hype but, I don't know if I'd call Emma Stone's performance "oscar worthy" unless you count the dancing.  I was impressed with the singing and dancing, I can't imagine some of these other hollywood celebs (i.e. Pratt, Hemsworth's, Efron, etc) being able to pull off what Gosling did.  I think there's a little more talent in the pool of females that could have done what Emma Stone did but I think the two of them mesh well together.

I get why it ended the way it did, in order for the two of them to be together one of them would have had to give up their dreams, in the sequence at the end it appeared it was he who gave up his dream.  Would have been nice if they had found their way back to each other though, but, it was a realistic ending which I liked.

Edited by snickers
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, snickers said:

I was impressed with the singing and dancing, I can't imagine some of these other hollywood celebs (i.e. Pratt, Hemsworth's, Efron, etc) being able to pull off what Gosling did.

Didn't Efron do his own singing and dancing in all those High School Musical movies and the Hairspray remake? I thought he was a Disney factory kid just like Gosling.

• Love 7

Finally got a chance to see it.  Whatever flaws it has (mainly the middle lagging), I loved it.  It did kind of remind me of The Artist and I certainly won't deny that it's frontrunner status is probably really due to the L.A. setting and insight into acting and Hollywood (while do I have the feeling that almost everything that happened in Mia's audition scenes likely happened to someone in real life?), but I enjoyed the love letter to the old-time musicals, the directing, the music, and the acting.

Enjoyed seeing Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone together again (still thought they were amazing together in Crazy, Stupid, Love.  Even if that film itself wasn't, due to no fault of theirs), and I really enjoyed their chemistry again.  Mia and Sebastian had a bit of the typical "opposite attracts" thing going on at first, but they made it work and then some.  Neither one was the best singer or dancer, but I thought they still did very good.  I'm definitely glad they ended up being the leads, because I'm not sure if I would have enjoyed it half as much if they were the original choices: Emma Watson (who I like enough, but not sure if I would here) and Miles Teller (who I only like when J.K. Simmons is hurling chairs at him.)

The opening dance number (did they actually shut down a freeway for that?!) and the final number were both stand-outs.  Those scenes alone could likely get Damien Chazelle the trophy.

John Legend was pretty good on the "musician acting" scale.

The J.K. Simmons appearance was fun.  I also spotted another Whiplash actor: Damon Gupton (who played the Andrew's first professor), was the husband of Sebastian's sister. 

I wonder if they got Tom Everett Scott to play Mia's husband, as a callback to his role on That Thing You Do!

I liked that the ending was realistic and a bit bittersweet.  Sure, I would have loved if Mia and Sebastian made it work, but I can buy that their careers and motivations would make it impossible for them to fully reconcile.  At least they both got see each other again, and realize the other person accomplished their goal.

"City of Stars" and "Audition" were the highlights of the songs, although I still prefer the Moana soundtrack.

Thought Whiplash was better, but Damien Chazelle is already becoming one of my favorite directors.  Him only having directed (and written) two features, and it being these two is pretty damn impressive.  I do notice certainly styles and tics of his, like how he always focuses the camera on the music instruments, and one scene where he kept moving the camera back and forth between Mia dancing and Sebastian playing the piano, reminded me of a similar scene in Whiplash, where he kept bouncing back and forth between Fletcher conducting and the orchestra.

Really curious to see if it will maintain its frontrunner status come Oscar time or suffer a big enough of a backlash instead.  Have no idea how it will go down, since I still need to catch Manchester by the Sea and Moonlight.

• Love 7

Aw man, I've seen it twice and now today I see it's getting an IMAX release starting next week. I don't quite love it enough to see it three times in theaters.

I was wondering if there was something off with my theatre's sound in the opening number, which I had a hard time hearing -- having listened to the soundtrack version, it's quite good.  I liked the music overall; it's not all-time classic stuff or anything, but it serves the story and it's tailored to the abilities of the people singing it (I'm sure Chazelle could have gotten more high-profile composers had he wanted to, but I admire him for sticking with his long-time collaborator now that he's made it to the big-time).

I think it's fair to say that the story of the move is fairly minimalist.  This is very deliberately in the style of older Hollywood musicals (and The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, which is Jacques Demy's homage to older Hollywood musicals), which were usually just shoestrings for numbers, many of which served no real story purpose (particularly when, as was often the case, the musicals were using pre-existing music).  The ending is a mix of Cherbourg's resolution for its central couple and the big climactic dance number/dream ballet from things like An American in Paris (it's got the setting of the latter).  Those movies aren't complicated at all, either in characters or themes; they aim for resonance via simplicity.  The viewer may or may not feel it.

• Love 2
On 1/3/2017 at 7:15 PM, PepSinger said:

It has been two weekssince I've seen it, and I can't stop listening to the soundtrack.

Same. I have not had a chance to see this a second time but the soundtrack is tiding me over until then! I was not expecting to fall in love with this movie but I did. My second favorite of the year so far (behind Hell or High Water). 

• Love 1

Just saw La La Land this afternoon and I really enjoyed it. It was clever, surprisingly funny, and like nothing out there right now. Just watching the trailers for other movies really emphasizes that point.

It didn't bother me that the two leads weren't the strongest singers. They weren't supposed to be powerhouse singers in the movie. It added a touch of realism and they definitely did a good job.

As for the ending, I think it was a great take off of the central theme of the movie where the two leads constantly debated whether the right path for each of them was to make "grown-up" decisions and compromise, as opposed to continuing to struggle to stay true to their art even if no one else agrees with them. In the end, they each compromised -- although on the surface it looks like they actually didn't -- and while they were rewarded professionally, they lost something personally. In the "actual" timeline, they gave up each other and made the "grown-up" decision not to stay together in order to pursue their art and, as a result, they lost true love. While Mia appears to be happy with her husband, notice that we see very little of her marriage, only that it is civil and fruitful. When she and her husband are sitting in the club, they're sitting apart and not touching. As for Seb, he has his club and is presenting Jazz the way he wants to, but we see no hint of a personal life. In fact, the only personal photos are of his friend/colleague and his sister? (I'm not sure if the woman with John Legend was also Seb's sister.) Anyway, his friends have both professional success and love, but Seb is alone. In the second timeline where Mia is apparently dreaming of another life, they make different choices which still gives them the professional success that they each wanted BUT they also get to be with the love of their lives. We see them happy. We see Mia pregnant. We see a child growing up and when they go to the club at the end, they're sitting very close to each other touching.

As for the little nod to each other at the end, maybe it was just an acknowledgement that they *see* each other and are happy each got what they said they wanted. Still, it seemed awfully poignant and wistful.

• Love 4
On 1/3/2017 at 11:04 PM, Bruinsfan said:

Didn't Efron do his own singing and dancing in all those High School Musical movies and the Hairspray remake? I thought he was a Disney factory kid just like Gosling.

He did, I should clarify...people like Zac Efron and Justin Timberlake could have been cast, but I think Gosling had the whole package in regards to acting, singing, and dancing. 

I couldn't see Miles Teller at all in this....but then again, I still have to see Whiplash

Looks like the HFP is liking this movie though....

12 hours ago, Nidratime said:

It didn't bother me that the two leads weren't the strongest singers. They weren't supposed to be powerhouse singers in the movie. It added a touch of realism and they definitely did a good job.

(Hope you don't mind the snipping) I don't know if it's just Chazelle making an excuse for the actors's performance but that was what he intended according to himself in an interview and exactly how I felt as well. I also thought that suited the overall tone of the film.

• Love 1

I thought about this last night as well -- if some "perfect", smooth singer like a Lea Michele/Idina Menzel and Justin Timberlake had been cast, the charm of their trying, angst, not being chosen, on a quest would have been lost.  I loved that they were both trying hard and relatable.  This is my favorite movie in the last several years.  

• Love 1

I saw this last night, in a session at the Logan Theatre in Chicago that was sold out and ended up in the front row, having to crane my neck at a hideous angle to be able to see the screen and unable to focus on the screen properly either with or without my glasses and I still loved it. Which says a lot, it was well worth the headache I came out of the theatre with. I found it so utterly charming and delightful that I found myself involuntarily grinning at several points. I enjoyed the songs and thought they fit the narrative well, Emma Stone isn't the strongest singer in the world but I think her songs were tailored well to her vocal limitations. I loved the end as well, I thought it made perfect narrative sense. I will be seeing it again, maybe at an imax showing.

• Love 1

I saw this over the weekend and I liked it, but I have to say I didn't think it was the "best" anything. But it probably comes in second or third in nearly every category which creates a very strong movie overall. It was a good movie, created a dreamy, saturated atmosphere and does draw you in. The ending is very smart and does make the whole movie stronger. Both Emma and Ryan are charming, but I never forgot I was watching them act in a musical. I didn't mind that neither was an amazing singer, but it did bug me that I couldn't hear their voices better over the music. That is just a strange sound mixing choice. I also don't find the songs all that memorable. City of Stars sticks out the best of the lot but they also played it a few times. The actual script was paper thin. There was nothing there and not even really any stakes. Except for Keith, there weren't even any secondary characters. (Obviously there were other people in the story, but none of them were characters. They were tools to get the plot to advance as needed.) It was just Ryan and Emma mooning about LA. Chazelle very much relied on familiar faces (Simmons and Tom Everett Scott) to come into the story with built-in personas so he wouldn't have to spend time actually creating people in the secondary roles. (And he mostly did this in Whiplash too so I do think it's just a choice of his but one I find less interesting.)

Its a good movie but for me when you look down the categories, I can't see it as the best in any of them. I think that voters will reward it because it is good and they want to recognize that, but I just don't see a category where it's actually the leading contender and that's even after all the Golden Globe wins.

• Love 7

(And he mostly did this in Whiplash too so I do think it's just a choice of his but one I find less interesting.)

I think it made sense in Whiplash, and worked really well in that film because the character was so isolated that the dynamic he had with JK Simmons was basically his whole life. But I agree, the isolation of Seb and Mia felt less intentional. We knew he had a sister and she had a family that was willing to let her move back home, and she had a gaggle of friends who were playing the same Hollywood game she was playing, but they weren't characters. Hell, I can't even remember John Legend's character's name because he was only there to create conflict then disappear.

20 hours ago, cpcathy said:

The sound mixing has got to be my biggest pet peeve from this film.

Seriously, in a musical this should be the absolute highest priority.   I saw this film at an afternoon showing, there were only a couple of dozen people in the audience all of whom were absolutely silent and focused on the film, and I still could barely hear some of the lyrics.

Edited by clb1016
  • Love 6
On 12/27/2016 at 8:59 PM, phalange said:

I teared up at the end when it showed they didn't stay together, especially when they imagined the life they could've had. I think I took for granted that they would figure things out because it seemed like a romantic comedy within a musical (or a musical within a romantic comedy), and romantic comedies always have happy endings. The actual ending was more realistic of course, but it's been a rough year; I want my sappy Hollywood ending!

This is me. If I'm seeing a magical musical romance, I want a happy ending. My friend and I both left the theater sad and pissed off and feeling like we'd been had. I mean, I don't always demand a happy ending (I still appreciate the hell out of Atonement, for instance), but it depends on the setup. Don't bait & switch on me!

I also had trouble with the sound mixing! There were a lot of lyrics I didn't catch.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 4

The Good: Loved the diversity in the opening. The colors of the roommates dresses and the pool party were great. Ryan Gosling has the best butt in the business and I think I like jazz now.

The Meh: Emma's roommates weren't diverse enough for LA. Has anyone been to LA? It's like 70% ambiguous-race beautiful people. Emma's character was in general far less interesting than Ryan's and I think that's just a lil sexist. 

The Ugly: So much whiteness, how is John Legend the evil jazz man and Ryan Gosling the savior? Oh thank you white people for saving jazz. Us black folk couldn't doing it without you. Emma can't tap! Why, did you make her tap? I was done as soon as she mock-tapped while Gosling had correct technique. I get that she isn't a dancer, but you know that there are people who auditioned for this role who have dance experience, right? She faked it well, but not well enough. 

• Love 6

I absolutely lost it at the "No, Jamal, YOU be tripping" line for the audition. Oh, white teacher savior films. Never change.

I thought the ending dance/singing fantasy sequence could have been compressed, but other than that, it was a great time. I had a smile on my face the whole time through.

I did like the nice little callback when Emma comes back to her old coffee shop and insists on paying for her coffee, as did the famous actress in the opening scenes of the movie.

• Love 1

I didn't see John Legend as the evil Jazz man, in fact I saw him as being right, one has to evolve to survivor.  I didn't see Ryan Gosling as the savior of Jazz or a white savior, he was a man who was stuck in the past. Like someone who was stuck in Baroque period when the world had move on to the Classical period.

Edited by gator12
  • Love 9

I liked it but wasn't blown away.   I thought they were better dancers than singers. 

I feel lately they cast the actor who can carry a tune instead of the  actor who can truly sing.    Ryan and Emma are box office draws I get it but it does water down the music a bit for me.

• Love 1

Well, technically, they are "regular people".

She is an aspiring actress, not a singer... He is a musician, again, not a singer. So I felt like their raw skills were intentional.

There are plenty of box office draws (maybe not THAT high up the list, but still pretty high) that would sing and dance better, but I think it was another device to make the audience connect better with them.

Also, it seems that they were chosen more for chemistry and "timeless" looks.

Edited by vavera4ka
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, vavera4ka said:

She is an aspiring actress, not a singer... He is a musician, again, not a singer. So I felt like their raw skills were intentional.

I think it was intentional not because their characters weren't professional singers but because they weren't (at the start) professionals in their chosen fields. Seb was finding the worst gigs just to barely pay the bills, and Mia wasn't getting anywhere with her auditions.

• Love 2

If anything, I saw John Legend's character as the -- savior isn't the right word -- giving an assist, a lifeline (financially) to an old friend.  He could see the signs that Ryan was stuck in the past and was struggling. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

If anything, I saw John Legend's character as the -- savior isn't the right word -- giving an assist, a lifeline (financially) to an old friend.  He could see the signs that Ryan was stuck in the past and was struggling. 

I like that so much better. My opinions were already somewhat biased before I saw it, so I found a way for it to fit that narrative. Somehow John Legend was the "villain" to plenty of people. But him just being a good friend makes me much happier.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, vavera4ka said:

Well, technically, they are "regular people".

There are plenty of box office draws (maybe not THAT high up the list, but still pretty high) that would sing and dance better, but I think it was another device to make the audience connect better with them.

As I was saying in general the  movie musicals now days are not using great singers and it lessens the music for me.    Why did they have them rehearse for months to dance and not just have them be regular people dancing too?     Its fantasy they can sing  better in  their own fantasy.

Not trying to be difficult,  the singing just didn't do it for me.

• Love 6
41 minutes ago, marymon said:

Its fantasy they can sing  better in  their own fantasy.

Agreed.  Oliver isn't about real singers.  Nor the Sound of Music* nor West Side Story, My Fair Lady, Little Shop of Horrors, Pippen, Grease, Les Mis, The King and I, A Christmas Carol etc. etc. etc.  If any genre requires the viewer to suspend disbelief it's the musical.  If I can buy that Mia and Sebastian break out into a song and dance number in the middle of the street then I can buy that they sound/look every much like highly skilled pros despite the fact that the characters are not.

*Well, I guess The Sound of Music IS about real singers but I was specifically thinking of Mother Superior singing Climb Every Mountain when I typed that.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 11

Agreed.  Oliver isn't about real singers.  Nor the Sound of Music* nor West Side Story, My Fair Lady, Little Shop of Horrors, Pippen, Grease, Les Mis, The King and I, A Christmas Carol etc. etc. etc.  If any genre requires the viewer to suspend disbelief it's the musical.  If I can buy that Mia and Sebastian break out into a song and dance number in the middle of the street then I can buy that they sound/look every much like highly skilled pros despite the fact that the characters are not.

What's  interesting about this list is it includes at least three films in which the lead actors/actresses could not sing well and so they had to have their singing "enhanced" (mixed in with someone's voice who could sing) or dubbed. I always thought that was a shame for the movie and they should've just gone for actors who had that skill, even if the resulting singing wasn't of the top-notch quality of a Streisand or an Andrews or something. And, what's equally puzzling is some of these same movies had co-stars or other leads who *were not* singers and yet they let them do their own singing. Weird.

So, I do give credit to La La Land for committing itself to allowing *all* the actors do their own singing and dancing. I think the need to have superlative singers/dancers in the lead of musicals is something of a throw back to the past and had a lot to do with the big studio systems that cultivated singers and dancers, as well as actors. Today, I've noticed that when a musical is produced, they will often let everyone do their own thing according to their abilities without the phoniness of dubbing or enhancement. I'm sure a bit of that has to do with box office draw and not having a ready cadre of singers and dancers who are also well known actors as well. But, at least we're not watching a performance that is not "their own."

• Love 4
On 1/17/2017 at 1:33 PM, vavera4ka said:

While I found Emma Stone attractive in the 2007 Superbad era, now she looks about 90 lbs soaking wet.  That is not a timeless look.  That's a very 2016 look that I hope doesn't stick around.  And her closeups did her no favours.  

The songs were really stuck in my head the 24 hours surrounding when I saw the movie - but a few days later I keep forgetting about it.  The music didn't stick with me like I thought it would.

On 1/17/2017 at 6:58 PM, BoogieBurns said:

I like that so much better. My opinions were already somewhat biased before I saw it, so I found a way for it to fit that narrative. Somehow John Legend was the "villain" to plenty of people. But him just being a good friend makes me much happier.

Someone who gives the hero of the movie a steady job and an opportunity to make a lot of money is the villain!  That's so funny.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Someone who gives the hero of the movie a steady job and an opportunity to make a lot of money is the villain!  That's so funny.

More that old jazz was true jazz, and John's character was about the mass produced product. Not that the job was the mean thing. That John's love for jazz was money, and Seb's love for jazz was Jazz. 

• Love 2

It's fine to love something for what it is, but you can't make money doing nothing.  You have to find a way to live.  My older brother used to make money making art and eventually he switched to being a realtor, I don't find that villainous.  I don't know.  I guess I have to Google these interpretations of John Legend's character being the villain because that's very funny to me.

• Love 4

Seb was far too much of the arrogant hipster who loved Jazz because no one else "got" it for me to view John Legend's character as a villain in their introductory disagreement. Admittedly, I liked the old style Jazz music way better than the highly choreographed synthesizer stuff in the eventual show, but if people don't like a traditional art form it fades into obscurity.

• Love 5

WRT to the discussion of jazz in the film, I wish Keith had quoted that line from MO' BETTA BLUES. (which, full disclosure, I've never seen. I'm only familiar with it because in a slightly edited form, it introduces the Root's "Things Fall Apart" album.)

Bleek: But the jazz, you know if we had to dep... if we had to depend upon black people to eat, we would starve to death. I mean, you've been out there, you're on the bandstand, you look out into the audience, what do you see? You see Japanese, you see, you see West Germans, you see, you know, Slabobic, anything except our people - it makes no sense. It incenses me that our own people don't realize our own heritage, our own culture, this is our music, man.

Shadow: That's bullshit.

Bleek: Why?

Shadow': [slurred] It's all bullsh... Everything, everything you just said is bullshit. Out of all the people in the world, you never gave anybody else, and look, I love you like a step-brother, but you never gave nobody else a chance t- to play their own music, you complain about... That's right, the people don't come because you grandiose motherfuckers don't play shit that they like. If you played the shit that they like, then people would come, simple as that.

Was the Start the Fire song meant to be bad? I liked it. Honestly I thought that after their heart to heart where Keith talked about his views on jazz that Seb came around a bit and actually enjoyed himself in the concert scene. No, he wasn't a convert and was still devoted to traditional jazz but he understood where Keith was coming from and did like being part of a successful band even if it wasn't his ultimate goal. Was that I interpreting that wrong?

I read a review that said that Anna Kendrick and Justin Timberlake would have been better casting. AK played the earnest young aspiring actress in The Last Five Years, but that character had a sadness to it that Mia isn't really supposed to have that instead needed the sweetness Emma Stone has. As fine as singer as JT is the acting was a larger factor than the singing in this role imo.

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 1

Taken at face value, it was a fine song -- nothing wrong with it as a song.  It just represented to Mia (and the rest of us) that Seb sold out.  And initially not for the right reasons.  Ultimately, he used it to achieve his goal of opening the club, but initially, it was simply because he thought Mia was embarrassed to talk to her parents about him.

On 1/2/2017 at 0:43 AM, Silver Raven said:

I just saw a review that said that the story line is exactly the same as The Last Five Years, including both being musicals.

I don't think it's exactly the same at all.  Sure, they're both "struggling" in their artistic careers (The Last Five Years is a writer and actress, La La is an actress and musician), but that's SO many screenplays in Hollywood since screenwriters pull from what they know. There are similarities, but they are different to me. 

I liked La La Land, but was expecting more based on all the buzz. It was ok, and the end did pull a bit on my heartstrings but it's not the best movie EVAH. 

I don't see anything wrong with the name Mia, but then again I named my daughter that 19 year ago before it got super popular. ;)

• Love 1

I really enjoyed it. I read about the hype before and was expecting to be let down, and instead quite liked it after all. Funny how expectations work. It's not the best film ever but what film is. The last film I loved immensely was Cloud Atlas and that was mostly polarising to audiences and snubbed by awards. I can see why La La Land is a crowd pleaser.

I honestly thought Emma was great in this and I wouldn't mind her getting the Oscar. Except for my dislike of the young ingenues getting the female awards while the distinguished guys get the male awards.

I totally didn't recognise Seb's sister when she was getting married, I thought I'd missed something and "what's up with this random wedding sequence". John Legend didn't seem villanous or like a saviour to me, he was making music that he liked and that would bring him success, he only offered Sebastian a job because he was good and it would help him, not because he wanted to screw with his dreams or anything.

I loved the soundtrack, still listening to it all the time. The music is beautiful.

Edited by KatWay
typo
  • Love 4