Type keyword(s) to search

Melanie & Devar: Jamaican Me Crazy

• Start Topic

Regarding education.. I remember my friends from the islands moving to L.A. and the only problem they had was having to study subjects they'd already learned.  I suppose one of the reasons they were so well educated is because it was common to be prepared to live on the continent or in other countries.  Is there some reason we think Devar is uneducated? If it is because he worked at the resort then we must realize that that is the biggest industry there. And his move to the continent is his best option because he couldn't work there after he became a certain age. 

• Love 2

I will say this--she is very self aware of her idiocy--she says to her sister, knowing it will be broadcast on national tv, that she made 19 trips and spent $ 38000 to get her man (college education for her son, anyone??). I believe he saw a golden opportunity, and he is truly attracted to her--she took a HUGE risk bringing a strange dude home to live with her and her son (who I adore, what a great kid) to be his "father figure" and it seems to have worked out well for them. Maybe they will last, but she aggravates me to no end, lol. I feel bad that he is one of the only black guys in town. plus winter has to suck for him:(.

• Love 1

Wasn't she a nurse working in a hospital? I'm sorry, but I don't want someone as dimwitted, superficial and constantly horny in charge of my medical care. Especially in a life and death situation.  The sex must be awfully good.

1 minute ago, nlkm9 said:

she is a nurse who works for a homecare company in some type of administrative capacity--I only know this because im somewhat involved in the homecare business.

Well, that makes me feel better!  Although, not necessarily better for any home health patients whose records or treatment she may affect in one way or another.

Edited by LocalGovt

Where did Bev go? She's half the woman she was a year ago... Fame got to her head? Or id it just me?

I disagree. I think Melianie looks much nicer (dare I say cuter, while she was getting her nails done?) with darker hair. Then again, it may just be my crappy TV. 

• Love 1

I love Melanie and Devar. I agree that Melanie is totally self-aware, and I think they're well-suited. She makes good money, lives in a low cost-of-living area, and I believe that they are two people who really care about each other and wanted to just dive in. Sure, this series has had other success stories... but it's nice to know that two people who didn't attend Bible college together can also find true love.

I kind of laughed about Devar being the only black person there. I'm sure it's true, but they really aren't all that far from Philly.  

• Love 3

I guess Bev wasn't aware of her size, saw herself on tv and decided to do something about it. Good for her! She looks like she lost a ton of weight. Of course, she still has the same face. She and Mel look like shit. Bad genes. I like the issues she brings up and the questions she asks. If only Mel stopped thinking with her vagina and listened!

• Love 7
12 hours ago, LaChavalina said:

I love Melanie and Devar. I agree that Melanie is totally self-aware, and I think they're well-suited. She makes good money, lives in a low cost-of-living area, and I believe that they are two people who really care about each other and wanted to just dive in. Sure, this series has had other success stories... but it's nice to know that two people who didn't attend Bible college together can also find true love.

I kind of laughed about Devar being the only black person there. I'm sure it's true, but they really aren't all that far from Philly.  

by self aware, I mean that its almost like she knows that without her traveling over there 19 times he may not have stayed interested--I remember reading that 4 months before he came to the US, she made him quit his job because she was jealous of all the female attention (I do not find him handsome but he does have a great body). I think absolutely they will last for a long time, Id be curious to see once the newlywed attraction wears off, if they stay together. I also really hope that he does NOT have a baby mama over there,( my gut says no)  and that his sisters learn to live on their own. I hope she gets her happy ending because she has really worked for this, and I also think her son is a very cute kid. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Nutella said:

I guess Bev wasn't aware of her size, saw herself on tv and decided to do something about it. Good for her! She looks like she lost a ton of weight. Of course, she still has the same face. She and Mel look like shit. Bad genes. I like the issues she brings up and the questions she asks. If only Mel stopped thinking with her vagina and listened!

You know it's gone too far when you start talking about Melanie's vagina lol

• Love 1

I like Bev eventhough she is a tad harsh... But reality bites... I think this couple will make it.. Devar gets along with mel's sone pretty well... I dont think he has a baby mama in jamaica though.. But in a commercial i saw him givinv money to his sister..is that his $ or mel's??

On 10/19/2015 at 9:50 AM, OhioMom said:

Her comment about, "the first time I saw him, I noticed he took care of himself."  How cringeworthy is that?  Superficial, much? It's plain her attraction to him was the shape of his body, and nothing substantial.

Oh he looked substantial to me, says me the damn close to 60 year old here. I still look and make immature comments. 

• Love 1
On 9/16/2016 at 8:11 PM, This2getsold said:
On 10/19/2015 at 9:50 AM, OhioMom said:

Her comment about, "the first time I saw him, I noticed he took care of himself."  How cringeworthy is that?  Superficial, much? It's plain her attraction to him was the shape of his body, and nothing substantial.

Oh he looked substantial to me, says me the damn close to 60 year old here. I still look and make immature comments. 

I don't get what is cringeworthy about this comment. She was talking about the first time she saw him not after she got to know him. A lot, I would say most, of people start romantic relationships because they saw a person they found attractive and started talking to them.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

Jason and Cassia contacted the Dr. Phil show to be on it, but when the show contacted TLC for permission to show clips, TLC said no for Jason and Cassia but offered them Melanie and Devar instead. Probably because of her sister, otherwise there wasn't a lot of discourse in the families of the other couples. Jason was understandably pissed, and ranted all over social media about it. 

It seemed like Melanie knew that Devar wanted to help his family in Jamaica, just not to the extent he planned. When he said he would send $9 out of every $10, she seemed surprised. I see her point about not supporting someone who isn't even trying to support themselves. Who knows what really happened, but the way the discussion was filmed, the sister said she wasn't going to work, she expected Melanie and Devar to "help" her, with her definition of "help" being "fully fund" her expenses. Melanie agreed they would give her an amount, then Devar emptied his pockets and his sister didn't even seem thankful. 

Money is probably going to be their major disagreement this season. An arrogant, racist sister can only go so far. I don't actually think her sister is racist, but the show seems dead set on making us think that entire community is, and her sister has no problem playing her part. If I was that woman in the gym who was staring at the filming, and they tried to play it off that I hadn't seen anyone of color, ever, in my life, I would be raising hell right now. I was angry for her, but can't be any more disgusted by TLC then I already am, and yet I watch.

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, Christina said:

Money is probably going to be their major disagreement this season. An arrogant, racist sister can only go so far. I don't actually think her sister is racist, but the show seems dead set on making us think that entire community is, and her sister has no problem playing her part. If I was that woman in the gym who was staring at the filming, and they tried to play it off that I hadn't seen anyone of color, ever, in my life, I would be raising hell right now. I was angry for her, but can't be any more disgusted by TLC then I already am, and yet I watch.

I dont think Bev is racist at all----and I do not think they are trying to portray the community as such either--just that one quick scene in the gym, where it was obvious that one of the ladies in the gym was staring at the filming. Bev is concerned and rightly so--her sister admitted to spending close to $40,000 (college education for Hunter anyone?) on 20 trips to jamaica and for the last several months Devar wasnt even working before he came to the US. Back, white, red or yellow, if that was my sister I would be very concerned about the situation. I hope for Hunter's sake (after all his mom spent a ton of time away and money and moved Devar in with him (quoting the need for a "father figure"), that this all works out, but once the intense physical chemistry wears off if this relationship lasts. and I really think hunter is such a cute kid.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, nlkm9 said:

so why were they willing to give clips of melanie and devar and not jason and cassia?? who by the way are so annoying lol--all they seem to care about is their long gone 15 minutes of fame.

One couple is making fresh content for the spinoffs  and are being pushed the other is just being seen in reruns.

• Love 2

I don't know what started the bad blood between Sharp Entertainment and Jason and Cassia, but J&C are vocal about feeling mislead and being mistreated by Sharp, and Sharp seemed to believe J&C were overstepping their bounds when it came to contacting the other couples and sharing contract info on social media. Noon, from Kyle and Noon the next season, responded to someone on Twitter last year that they were told to ignore Jason by Sharp. He was reaching out to the other couples and it somehow crossed a line.

Jason contacted Dr. Phil's show himself, but TLC/Sharp wouldn't release video for him. It was probably just a petty response, because they could. It doesn't seem like there is any legitimate reason to not allow the footage to be used for M&D but not J&C, except childish grandstanding. Not that I minded; I didn't care for J&C at all, in part, probably because they were over acting at the suggestion of Sharp. 

• Love 1

From what I have read, Jason was trying to warn future couples about how they'd be portrayed on the show. He and Cassia do not drink yet were shown to be drunk in Vegas. And Cassia was supposed to be drinking wine during the pregnancy scare episode. I think it's a case of them breaking the fourth wall once the time limitations on the do-not-disclose contract was up.

On 9/27/2016 at 7:17 PM, Lola16 said:

Hunter could have been with his bio dad when his mom went to Jamaica.  She doesn't have to put her life on hold because she has a kid.

yes, he was at summer camp for each one of those 20 trips.(Im being sarcastic). I never said she should put her life on hold, I believe she got INCREDIBLY lucky with Devar because he seems very nice and seems very nice to her son. she could have spent all that time and money, and moved this stranger in with she and her son and it could have been very very bad.Last season i was floored that she would move a man in with she and her son when they hadnt even met--- I think it was very risky and yes selfish of her but it does seem like her son is doing well and for that Im happy. but most people who move a stranger in with their kids I think are crazy....by the way, wonder how melanies ex felt about her saying on national tv that hunter needed a "father figure". 

Edited by nlkm9
mistake
  • Love 3

I took that "father figure" comment differently at the time. I think part of it was I recognized the crappy editing in that scene, which usually goes right past me unless I'm looking for it. I'm paraphrasing here, because I don't care enough to go actually look it up, but she was saying something about him being a bachelor who could "party" and now he had to be a "father figure." On the show, Melanie also said something about only having her son on weekends, when she clarified on the Facebook page that she and her ex live near each other, and her son lives one week with her and then one with him. 

I'm not as worried about Mel's son as it relates to moving a stranger in with her, because his dad is still in his life and he has a safety network should the need arise. Dani and Nicole, on the other hand, are predator's dreams. 

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, Christina said:

I took that "father figure" comment differently at the time. I think part of it was I recognized the crappy editing in that scene, which usually goes right past me unless I'm looking for it. I'm paraphrasing here, because I don't care enough to go actually look it up, but she was saying something about him being a bachelor who could "party" and now he had to be a "father figure." On the show, Melanie also said something about only having her son on weekends, when she clarified on the Facebook page that she and her ex live near each other, and her son lives one week with her and then one with him. 

perhaps it was editing, but she said several times she wanted Devar to be a "father figure" to her son.

49 minutes ago, Christina said:

I'm not as worried about Mel's son as it relates to moving a stranger in with her, because his dad is still in his life and he has a safety network should the need arise. Dani and Nicole, on the other hand, are predator's dreams. 

Well, since this thread is just about Devar and melanie, I do know that statistics are very compelling about the dangers and prevalence of child abuse that happen to many children (I think the stats say 11 times more likely) are living with a non bio parent--listen, obviously Devar is a totally cool guy and Melanie got very lucky, but I judge all the parents on this show the same--I think its is CRAZY to move a stranger in with your kids!! So yes Dani, Melanie, Nicole ::shudder::: its amazing what people will do or who they will disregard in their search for love. Your kids if they still live with you, should be your first priority.

• Love 3

She most definitely said it, but I took her to mean it as she didn't want him to act like a big brother, or a friend, but a parent, which she was saying he didn't have any experience with that type of relationship. That was the choppy part. It went from him partying on the beach to "father figure" and she also said on the show that she only had him on weekends, which she said later wasn't correct. 

She clarified on Facebook that his dad is in his life and is a good dad. The general consensus at the time was that, based on her comments, she was inserting Devar as her son's dad, which wasn't how I took it and I don't think it was how she meant it. This whole show would be better if they actually filmed and aired reality instead of scripting things. We only have what they show, and when the people being filmed go along with it, they can deal with the responses. It doesn't sound like she let her son meet him before he arrived to marry, and she deserves crap for it. Maybe, what she said on the show was true, and she only has him on the weekends. 

9 hours ago, Christina said:

She most definitely said it, but I took her to mean it as she didn't want him to act like a big brother, or a friend, but a parent, which she was saying he didn't have any experience with that type of relationship. That was the choppy part. It went from him partying on the beach to "father figure" and she also said on the show that she only had him on weekends, which she said later wasn't correct. 

She clarified on Facebook that his dad is in his life and is a good dad. The general consensus at the time was that, based on her comments, she was inserting Devar as her son's dad, which wasn't how I took it and I don't think it was how she meant it. This whole show would be better if they actually filmed and aired reality instead of scripting things. We only have what they show, and when the people being filmed go along with it, they can deal with the responses. It doesn't sound like she let her son meet him before he arrived to marry, and she deserves crap for it. Maybe, what she said on the show was true, and she only has him on the weekends. 

well the show wouldnt be much fun to snark at if they didnt edit things a certain way, would it??

I dont care how often she or anyone else has their kids..moving a complete stranger into your house with your kids is a scary and selfish thing to do. it appears that it worked out for her and I would say she is very fortunate because she certainly wasn't thinking about anything but her own feelings when she did this. Besides she has Bev as a sister--nothing is going to happen under Bev's watch!!

• Love 4

You can bet that nothing bad is going to happen as long as you've got Bulldog Bev on your side. I don't mean any offense to the beautiful dog breed by comparing  Bev to one, but her stank face looks like a bully facial expression.  And Bulldogs are tenacious and fiercely loyal, as is Bev.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Love 12
3 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

well the show wouldnt be much fun to snark at if they didnt edit things a certain way, would it??

I dont care how often she or anyone else has their kids..moving a complete stranger into your house with your kids is a scary and selfish thing to do. it appears that it worked out for her and I would say she is very fortunate because she certainly wasn't thinking about anything but her own feelings when she did this. Besides she has Bev as a sister--nothing is going to happen under Bev's watch!!

In this case, I don't think Devar was a stranger by the time he moved in. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

In this case, I don't think Devar was a stranger by the time he moved in. 

HE CERTAINLY was to Hunter. the kid never met him!! EXACTLY MY POINT :). Definitely (lmao) not a stranger to Melanie, who spent every last cent (and prob a huge chunk of hunters college fund )to go visit him and make sure he was staying true to her.

6 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

You can bet that nothing bad is going to happen as long as you've got Bulldog Bev on your side. I don't mean any offense to the beautiful dog breed by comparing  Bev to one, but her stank face looks like a bully facial expression.  And Bulldogs are tenacious and fiercely loyal, as is Bev.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Bev is my favorite and I love her :):).I would go so far as to say I dont have a sister but I would love to have one like her. She just cracks me up. and i love bulldogs too!!

Edited by nlkm9
  • Love 2

As the oldest, I never had a big sister, but if I did, there's been plenty of bad boyfriends and an ex husband that I would have loved a Big sister Bev to tear into on my behalf. She's loyal, that's for sure. I always look forward to her talking heads. She's got good sense at least.

• Love 3

Imagine Bevs frustration....first off, her sister is (while not a stunning beauty,) an attractive woman with a great figure. She falls for a lifeguard at a resort in jamaica, goes over there umpteen times, sends him money, has him quit his job for several months, and then has him move in with her young son he has never met---Devar has no problem saying he will send home 90% of his money to his family, and even on the Dr Phil episode (where it was revealed Melanie had devar quit his job), Dr Phil was really concerned.To me its obvious if Melanie had not put her heart and soul into vistiting him and making most of the effort, the relationship would have fizzled. I do wonder if part of Bevs deal is she is a bit jelous, because her sister despite all the warning signs, has a young stud who has married her and she seems really happy. It really could have been such a disaster, but seems to have worked out well. Bev was painted in a very negative light, but I actually really like her and feel her heart and actions some from a place of love!!!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Verojama said:

I agree i couldve been a disaster but i think it looks good...i wonder if melanie had got that prenup?

We'll never really know. Most of what connects the dots ends up on the editing room floor. Mel and Devar look happy. I like how her calls her "my lovely lady".

It's not uncommon among African and Caribbean families for them to get some support from family living stateside.  The money goes pretty far over there. Mel has been to Jamaica over 20 times, so she has to know it's a very poor country with little opportunity for people there to better their lot in life. 

My husband is from Puerto Rico, and there's not much of a "way out" for most of the people there, and they are part of the US.  Most of the well educated flee to the mainland so they can find a decent paying job. It's worse now with the default problems and the severe drought. Those on the island if they have the means to leave and reasonable English and work skills will try to go elsewhere.  I can empathize with the plight of the Jamaican people.

Please keep the Jamaican people and others in the path of this hurricane in your thoughts and prayers. It's not going to be pretty.

• Love 13
4 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Bev looks like she's lost some weight as well. Good for her. She looks much better and healthier now.

Mel is not the most attractive woman out there but she's got a smokin' bod. Her workouts with Devar def paid off. 

I think she was already a big fitness buff, smart girl to ask a well built dude to run with you!! yep she looks great!!

• Love 1
On September 30, 2016 at 7:48 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

As the oldest, I never had a big sister, but if I did, there's been plenty of bad boyfriends and an ex husband that I would have loved a Big sister Bev to tear into on my behalf. She's loyal, that's for sure. I always look forward to her talking heads. She's got good sense at least.

I wouldn't mind Bev if she didn't come off like a female Archie Bunker.  I don't think she's criticizing Devar as much as she's criticizing Melanie.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I wouldn't mind Bev if she didn't come off like a female Archie Bunker.  I don't think she's criticizing Devar as much as she's criticizing Melanie.

OMG....Archie Bunker! OMG, you are so dead on. I googled a pic oh him and from the stills (even though I've watched that show so many times) his facial expressions were priceless. Carroll O'Connor was fortunately nothing like him in real life. 

• Love 2