Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Episode 1

Glade
  • Start Topic

I have to say, I found myself really bored by this episode; the limitations of the series are screaming out to me a lot more then they were last year.  Maybe that is because I also know for a fact that the main character is not going to die by hanging in the first episode of the second season.  Maybe when the real plots of S2 start I will be able to get back into this. 

Apparently every road goes past those same damn cliffs.  I really wished that Francis had actually been ready to change his mind about his sister.    I miss Ross's longer hair, and contrary to the show's advertising, I don't actually care about him taking his shirt off.    Some actual stakes were raised at the end by Francis' apparent suicide, but we'll have to see if that's real or not.

Edited by Glade
  • Love 3

ugh...maybe I need to watch episode 1 all the way through but I find that I just can't with George Warleggan, I understand that his malevolence is, in some ways inexplicable like Iago for example but I find his constant vendetta against Ross pretty boring actually. 

• Love 4

I enjoyed the episode.  I'm enjoying Aidan Turner in the lead role.   Robin Ellis, in 1975, always had his nose turned up a little too much at people he considered beneath him, for my taste.   I like this variation on George Warleggan, who seems to admire Ross more than in 1975. 

• Love 6

I enjoyed this episode too. I did know what was going to happen (though I'd forgotten until part way through) because after last season I got the 1975 version and watched both seasons (were there more than 2 seasons?). I guess it's not surprising that I prefer This Demelza to that Demelza. I think we have a tendency to prefer what we are 1st exposed to (especially if we liked what we saw).  As for George Warleggan? I can't even remember what the old version of him looked like. It took me a short while to forget the comic character I was used to Jack Farthing playing (and I loved him in it) but now I totally accept him as George and find his portrayal nuanced and believable.

I appreciate both Robin Ellis' and Aidan Turner's portrayal of Ross. They fit their respective eras. I prefer this Judd Paynter mostly because I can actually understand what he says. ;-) I'm also more engaged with this Francis but also liked the old version for different reasons.

We're getting new characters this season and the past season's characters are becoming more fleshed out. Of course I assume Ross will not be found guilty, but the machinations that are involved are what interests me. Looking forward to the next episode.

• Love 4

Glade I thought I was the only one. I was a bit bored by the episode. However I'm enjoying Farthing's portrayal as George.

I appreciate both Robin Ellis' and Aidan Turner's portrayal of Ross. They fit their respective eras

Agree with this sentiment. However this Demelza is losing her appeal for me. I like a more spitfire version.

Edited by skyways
  • Love 1

Farthing looks very much like the blonde incarnation of Roger Daltrey to me... George in the first series had black hair and the thick neck as described in the books.  Farthing seems too young to be George, to me.

What did Prudie call Tankard as he was trying to bribe Jud? Something something "piece of offal"? :-)

And Ray is the guy from Midsomer Murders, right?

• Love 3

This has been my first episode of Poldark and already I want to wrap Francis up in a little blankie and cradle carry him because he needs love.

Dr. Dude is sooo going to be getting some from Hot Blonde 18th Century Lady.  I approve.

And drunk servant is still loyal after all.  Yay!!!

So who else hopes Evil George gets hanged or imprisoned by the end of this season?

• Love 2

I want someone to slap George. He's infantile and absurd, throwing tantrums and wanting a man killed because that man doesn't like him.  I hope the season is going to be more than him continually going after Ross. Even so, I'm glad the show is back. Francis finally speaking up was great.

We had the first two episodes together, so can't say much about outcomes here.

P.S. - No other episode threads? U.K. airings are ahead of U.S. aren't they?

Edited by justmehere
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, justmehere said:

We had the first two episodes together, so can't say much about outcomes here.

Are we counting the two hours as episode one? Or should there be another thread for the second hour?

Also, Ross' hair change bothered me more than it should have. Obviously, there's the continuity issue from last season when there has been no time jump (and did anyone notice one scene where it was suddenly longer again?). But with the slightly shorter 'do, he seemed at 80% Poldarkitude, maybe 85%.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, justmehere said:

We've had four episodes so far in the UK - there's been a bit of talk about them in the Now, Then and Before thread, which allows direct comparison with the original novels and the previous adaptation, which we've been asked to keep out of episode threads (which I can understand, but for someone familiar with all versions it does stifle discussion).

Also, there aren't many people on this forum watching at UK pace - the majority of discussion happened at US pace last season, as well.

• Love 3

Since there's no second episode thread to split discussion of the first and second hours, I guess it all goes here by default.

Everything surrounding the trial from start to finish reminds me that as much as I generally like this series and Ross as a character, he can be ridiculously self-righteous to the point of being foolhardy.  Sure, he was making show of trying to be practical by taking stock of his dire financial situation and writing up a last letter and last will and testament for Demelza, but it's like when choosing between trying to make sure she doesn't end up completely destitute or back at the mercy of her shitty family or speechifying to let every last person know exactly how he feels about every last person or thing, he won't even go through the motions of acting like there's a real choice to be made.  You could really feel his attorney's frustration there because of course he doesn't realize that we're still relatively early in a series titled Poldark where there are only two other male Poldarks left, one a suicidal drip and the other a toddler.

I want someone to slap George too.  Yes, it sucks that these people make no secret of the fact that they think they're infinitely better than you by sheer accident of birth, but continually rubbing their noses in your new money wealth that often comes at their expense and plotting against one of their own like a cartoon villain because he didn't want to be your bestest friend forever in school really isn't going to endear you to any of them.   Unfortunately, none of that looks to be changing anytime soon.

Warts and all, I'm still happy to see the show back.

• Love 5

I sort of see most of these characters as high school kids ten years after.  George, who was never quite well born enough to hang with the young gentleman,  still seething about it. Francis who idolized Ross while still feeling inferior to him.  All three men falling in love with the same girl.  Elizabeth who most passionately loved Ross, but loves Francis, too. 

6 hours ago, bmoore4026 said:

This has been my first episode of Poldark and already I want to wrap Francis up in a little blankie and cradle carry him because he needs love.

Me too, Bmoore, me too.  I actually started to cry when I thought he had killed himself.  I cry for Elizabeth, too, because she just can't convince him that she loves him.

I don't want to see the doctor fall for yet another pushy woman but she is interesting.

That Jud!  I like to think he saw Demelza in the court and lost his nerve, remembering the beating he took from her over the pie he stole and imagining how much worse it could get.

I actually was expecting Elizabeth to come to town and sleep with George to save Ross.   I guess Winston Graham's  imagination wasn't as sordid as mine, thank goodness.

I love this show!

• Love 6

I couldn't wait for the Poldark return and was not disappointed.  I had proselytized to various family members (much as I did for Outlander) and they were delighted, too.  I missed Ross's Season One hair but will take Aidan Turner any way I can get him.  Somewhat surprised George wasn't given a mustache to twirl for the second season!

I'm trying to decide whether to start reading the books.  Having read the Outlander books has made that series more enjoyable for me but I like being somewhat unspoiled for Poldark.  

• Love 4

Although I too missed Ross' first season hair, I still swooned and was lucky that my fainting couch was nearby.  

I was waiting for Demelza to somehow get the message to Ross during the trial that she was pregnant and thought he would take his lawyer's advice. Guess I was wrong.

• Love 2

I'm glad the show is back.  I did think this episode was a bit slow - really dragging things out.

One of my favorite things about this show is the photography (or is it cinematography).  Beautiful lingering shots of not only the gorgeous scenery but also on people especially Ross/Demelza/Elizabeth.

I want to slap George every time I see his face.

It's weird that I find Aidan Turner absolutely gorgeous in this show but I saw him in Ten Little Indians and wasn't impressed at all.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, Clawdette said:

I'm trying to decide whether to start reading the books.  Having read the Outlander books has made that series more enjoyable for me but I like being somewhat unspoiled for Poldark.  

It's up to you, but you might be better off if you don't - I've found that being familiar with the books makes it harder for me to appreciate the show, I'm too aware of how much has been changed. It's a bit like watching an adaptation of Pride & Prejudice where nearly everyone's personality is slightly different, and some of their backstories (and the sequence of events) altered so that their actions and motivations no longer track cleanly, and it can be very disconcerting. It is very apparent to me as a viewer that Debbie Horsfield is not familiar with the entire series and thus doesn't have a complete understanding of the story or its characters to inform the choices she makes, but an unspoiled viewer doesn't have that awareness to prejudice them so probably has a happier viewing experience!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

I don't want to see the doctor fall for yet another pushy woman but she is interesting.

Enys handled her pretty well, I thought. Her drip of a fiancé (or whatever he is) is toast, however.

41 minutes ago, abbyzenn said:

I want to slap George every time I see his face.

George cracks me up as much as he exasperates me. I get his frustration with his social level, but he's also trying to crash an insular group of people in a very gaudy way. He keeps claiming to be a gentleman, but it's on a superficial level of manners. One reason Ross's appeal to the jury worked was that he spoke to them on a granular level of being Cornish and what their traditions are. George doesn't have that knowledge, or if he does, he uses it poorly.

• Love 4

I must be the only person who likes Aidan Turner's shorter hair. Last season, I thought he was a handsome guy, but this episode? Whoa. I couldn't take my eyes off him whenever he was on screen.

I got SO frustrated with Demelza when she kept trying to "help" Ross, although I completely understood why she did it. But her help could easily have him swinging at the end of a rope. Add me to the group whose heart ached for Francis. Even though he's done some things that have hurt people--most notably Verity--I think the actor does a wonderful job of making you feel for him as he realizes how badly messed up his life is.

And as someone who loved the character of Caroline in the 1975 version, I approve of this new Caroline. I think she and Dwight will deal very well together, and I can't wait to see how things go.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Clawdette said:

The books are really great -- far better than the tv show, which I think is quite good.  But the books are exceptionally well written and capture all the interior dialogue of each character which explains a lot more than possibly be shown in an adaptation.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Clawdette said:

I'm also trying to decide whether to read the books.  I read the Game of Thrones books after watching the first season and I think it helped me follow the show better given the complexity of that world.  The Poldark world is much easier to follow, so I'm not sure what to do.

I'm finding Elizabeth more appealing this season and am enjoying Caroline and Horace.  I'm a pug lover so I can't fault the woman for loving her dog.

• Love 2

I love the books a lot and they did help me get a better understanding of some things in the first season that seemed to rate only a very superficial mention.  They're also a lot more complex in characterization, focus on a lot more characters, and certain events aren't nearly as black and white as they're portrayed onscreen.   The books don't strain nearly as much to always paint Ross as the hero, for example.

• Love 4

The books don't strain nearly as much to always paint Ross as the hero, for example.

True talk. This Ross is confusing but with the backdrop of the books, you understand the character more.  In agreement also about Caroline and Enys. Liked them in the previous adaptation and like this couple now as played by both.

• Love 2

I've never seen the '70s series so I don't know.  Because she's at the level of inheritance/society that she is, Caroline's supposed to be a little too cynical for her own good.

I completely adore book Caroline.  The actress here did a nice enough job in her debut that even if I wasn't completely bowled over, she did well enough for me to want to see what she does with the character as her storyline takes off.

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Was Caroline a prostitute in the prior incarnation?  Sorry, but that is how she appears to me.  Kind of scheming, leering, etc.  I will have to read the books and watch the first Poldark one of these days.

No, no version of Caroline is in any way a prostitute. She's an 18 year old kid who has been raised in luxury without an ounce of freedom, sheltered in every way from the harsher realities of the world, and has always been very aware that any man who takes an interest in her is primarily interested in the fortune she is set to inherit. She wears her frivolity as a mask - it is as much a defence mechanism as anything. She likes Dwight because he stands up to her in a way that pretty much no one else in her life ever has, pushes past her facade and challenges her to be more. This version of the character is a little more earnest than she might be, lacks the note of playfulness I'd expect from the character, perhaps, but she's still mostly who she should be.

But as much as I like Luke Norris and Gabriella Wild, Richard Morant and Judy Geeson will always be Dwight and Caroline to me - they captured their characters so perfectly. It's always Richard Morant's voice I hear when I read Dwight's lines in the books.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Llywela said:

No, no version of Caroline is in any way a prostitute. She's an 18 year old kid who has been raised in luxury without an ounce of freedom, sheltered in every way from the harsher realities of the world, and has always been very aware that any man who takes an interest in her is primarily interested in the fortune she is set to inherit. She wears her frivolity as a mask - it is as much a defence mechanism as anything. She likes Dwight because he stands up to her in a way that pretty much no one else in her life ever has, pushes past her facade and challenges her to be more. This version of the character is a little more earnest than she might be, lacks the note of playfulness I'd expect from the character, perhaps, but she's still mostly who she should be.

But as much as I like Luke Norris and Gabriella Wild, Richard Morant and Judy Geeson will always be Dwight and Caroline to me - they captured their characters so perfectly. It's always Richard Morant's voice I hear when I read Dwight's lines in the books.

Thanks for clearing that up.

5 hours ago, kirinan said:

I must be the only person who likes Aidan Turner's shorter hair. Last season, I thought he was a handsome guy, but this episode? Whoa. I couldn't take my eyes off him whenever he was on screen.

Oh, he's still sex on a stick, no doubt. Maybe the haircut just looks a little more modern? And therefore slightly less Poldarkian to me.

2 hours ago, TomServo said:

Just as I had gotten used to the black scar on Ross's face, the make-up department decided to change it into a regular-looking pink one.

I totally forgot about the scar, until I finally noticed it halfway through the episode. I don't mind it being less obvious, but the picky viewer in me says they should have waited until a time jump to fade it.

• Love 2

And enter Caroline, one of my favorite characters. So far they are getting her frivolous mask right.

This episode reminded me why Ross makes me eye roll a lot of the time. If you get yourself executed because of self-righteousness and pride, what good are you then to the people around you? He is just helping George along and has all the common sense of a turnip. 

But then in general the women in this universe are smarter than the men.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

And even though George is despicable, the actor is brilliant and I love him too!

Jack Farthing is so good. He does a great job of showing that George isn't a one-dimensional villain. I almost feel sorry for George—in a lot of ways, he was born too soon. Simply having a lot of money isn't enough to break into society at the level he wants to be in. Demelza really cut him to the quick when she said he'd always be a blacksmith's grandson, while she's now a gentleman's wife.

I think the show does a good job with these nuances.

• Love 2

I never watched the 1970's version and have no desire to; I prefer this version and I liked this episode, but I wonder why hasn't anybody taken George out?  I mean there was no CSI back then.  He's such a class-A douchebag.

I sort of see most of these characters as high school kids ten years after.  George, who was never quite well born enough to hang with the young gentleman,  still seething about it. Francis who idolized Ross while still feeling inferior to him.  All three men falling in love with the same girl.  Elizabeth who most passionately loved Ross, but loves Francis, too. 

So true Judy, love your name, 'cause I loved that book.  But yes, George is like this guy who tried to hang with the football players in high school, but he was just never cool enough and the girls didn't like him because he was such a weasel and ten years later, George is STILL a weasel, just one with money.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Caroline may have been sheltered, but she's not stupid.

And that right there is her problem. She's been sheltered all her life, but she's intelligent enough to know it, to be aware of the restrictions that surround her and how limited her future is likely to be - to say nothing of being aware that any interest shown in her by respectable men is excited primarily by her fortune - and her hard manner and flippant attitude are the defence mechanism she has formed to deal with it.

But while she's not stupid, she also has no exposure to the harsher realities of life, has never been taught to empathise with the suffering of others or to consider their point of view, and that's what Dwight brings into her life, a good part of the reason she responds to him so strongly. He challenges her to do more, to be more, in a way that no one else in her life ever has, and she likes that - primarily because she isn't stupid, but is generally treated as a china doll by everyone else in her life, who tend to see her fortune first and her body second, but her actual self not at all. I regret that the actor playing Unwin is so young and that Dwight has been aged up a bit, because the contrast between the two isn't so stark as it might be - the terminally dull but respectable middle-aged suitor versus the penniless young doctor, who is unsuitable in every way but excites her both physically and intellectually in a way she's never experienced before.

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Llywela said:

I regret that the actor playing Unwin is so young and that Dwight has been aged up a bit, because the contrast between the two isn't so stark as it might be - the terminally dull but respectable middle-aged suitor versus the penniless young doctor

Yeah, I balked at this change too.  Also, much as I love John Nettles, I don't think he's showing as "old" enough to play the uncle.  

I hate to think that UK productions are going the way of US programs where everyone has to be "young and beautiful" sigh.  One of the "charms" of UK TV is that they cast ordinary looking people.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, DHDancer said:

Yeah, I balked at this change too.  Also, much as I love John Nettles, I don't think he's showing as "old" enough to play the uncle.  

I hate to think that UK productions are going the way of US programs where everyone has to be "young and beautiful" sigh.  One of the "charms" of UK TV is that they cast ordinary looking people.

Plus, the show already has a whole raft of very similar-looking young men of about the same age, Unwin just adds another of the same basic physical type to the heap. If they'd gone with another actor and given us an Unwin the age he actually should be - pushing 40, a stuffy middle-aged man running around after a girl half his age because he desires her fortune - he'd have stood out more, and the contrast between the two suitors would be heightened. Instead, they've given us an Unwin who is basically just a very silly young man, which isn't how the character should come across, while we also have a Dwight who is several years older and more experienced than he should be at this stage, so that this Unwin and Dwight are effectively peers, men of the same age and physical build, with the only real difference between them being social status and intelligence.

John Nettles is 72, btw, so more than old enough to be the uncle of a girl Caroline's age (she's 18 at this point, in the book; the show hasn't told us her exact age to know if it is the same, but has stated that she is not yet of age, therefore under 21 - and her storyline requires that they can't can't age her up too much or she'd gain her freedom too soon). He just looks good for his age!

Edited by Llywela
On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 8:56 AM, JudyObscure said:

Elizabeth who most passionately loved Ross, but loves Francis, too. 

Well, she might have the courtesy to speak up on that score when he suggests she wouldn't care if *he* were at risk of not coming home, instead of blinking at him like a dumb sheep.  Toss the man a scrap, Elizabeth, either real or feigned.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 8:56 AM, JudyObscure said:

I actually was expecting Elizabeth to come to town and sleep with George to save Ross.

Heh.  I was sure Ross would be saved by someone sleeping with someone.

• Love 3

Well, she might have the courtesy to speak up on that score when he suggests she wouldn't care if *he* were at risk of not coming home, instead of blinking at him like a dumb sheep.  Toss the man a scrap, Elizabeth, either real or feigned.

I'll have to rewatch the episode(s) to remember where I saw this, but I seem to recall a moment where Francis was trying to reach out to Elizabeth and suggest they comfort each other and she turned him down. She seems to turn away from him and turn him down often, so I find it hard to believe that she actually loves him. I know that this wasn't a big love match on her side, but it really feels like an arranged marriage when it comes to Elizabeth, while I truly believe Francis does love Elizabeth and wants to be close.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

I seem to recall a moment where Francis was trying to reach out to Elizabeth and suggest they comfort each other and she turned him down

One of those moments was before Ross stood trial; it was juxtaposed with Ross and Demelza sleeping together for what might have been their last time. I thought that was a little heavy-handed, TBH, but I suppose it was also a reminder to the audience of everyone's feelings.

I thought by the end of the episode some sort of detente or understanding had been reached between Francis and Elizabeth, but who knows how long that will last?

Elizabeth will undoubtably have her hands full dealing with George's crush.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Nidratime said:

I'll have to rewatch the episode(s) to remember where I saw this, but I seem to recall a moment where Francis was trying to reach out to Elizabeth and suggest they comfort each other and she turned him down. She seems to turn away from him and turn him down often, so I find it hard to believe that she actually loves him. I know that this wasn't a big love match on her side, but it really feels like an arranged marriage when it comes to Elizabeth, while I truly believe Francis does love Elizabeth and wants to be close.

This was my first episode so I'm highly unqualified, but I saw the excellent scene where he said, "We all secretly adore Ross."

He's clearly the decent chap with the unruly curls who comes in second to the brooding handsome hero, but when he was so wistful about whether his homecoming would mean anything, I thought she might extend some kind of reassurance that he matters to her.  Look around, E--he may not be Poldark, but you could have done MUCH worse.  Yoicks.

(I did see the Season One recap show!)

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Francis is Poldark; he's just not Ross Poldark. ;-)

Noted.  Thanks!  I'll go fill in some gaps with Wikipedia.

I see that people feel very attached to these characters, with the books and the multiple adaptations and so forth.  I'll try to be respectful and not be tossing in annoying freshman year opinions.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, candall said:

I'll try to be respectful and not be tossing in annoying freshman year opinions.

You didn't do that at all, Candall.  I've seen every episode, twice,  but haven't read the books.  We all bring slightly different angles to the talk.  I'm the one that said E loves Francis, but I'm basing that on the way she acted last season after he had been shot in a duel.   Elizabeth defaults to resting stone face most of the time, the better for us to admire her long beautiful neck, so who really knows what goes on in there?  

Now we have Caroline, who the book readers tell us is an interesting and likeable young woman, while Brattinella and I both thought she was a scheming tart.  Now I can't wait to see more of her.  These layered characters are the best!

• Love 2

I think we have all probably known someone who is endlessly fascinated with a former love. (Perhaps we have been in this position ourselves.) No matter how positive their current relationship is, they simply cannot tamp down that intense feeling of first love with the other.  In real life I've been more sympathetic when the piner has connected with someone with whom he or she is totally unsuited.  But when a good match has been found and the parties are truly happy, I want to tell the piner to, "Snap out of it," as Cher once said.

I love the Ross Poldark character and it wasn't his fault that circumstances prevented his happy ending with Elizabeth.  But he has a gem in Demelza and I so hope his love for her will eventually allow him to sever his romantic pull to Elizabeth.  Demelza has so much to give and will always measure herself against her "rival" and feel she comes up short.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Now we have Caroline, who the book readers tell us is an interesting and likeable young woman, while Brattinella and I both thought she was a scheming tart.  Now I can't wait to see more of her.  These layered characters are the best!

Yeah, the actress is playing the character a little too straight for my liking, Caroline works better with a twinkle in her eye to offset her more shocking statements. Some of what she comes out with is just parroting what her uncles have always said, but a lot of it is said for effect, deliberately exaggerating the role in which society has cast her, partly because she feels trapped but mostly just for the fun of seeing how people react - she spends a lot of her time pushing at boundaries to see how much she'll be allowed to get away with, which tends to be 'anything', because she's very rich and that's what most of the people she meets care about, first and foremost. Caroline should be a very playful character, glib and flippant and funny, but with a good heart beneath the hard shell she wears as a mask. She is the epitome of the witty society lady of the era (just look at the Scarlet Pimpernel to know what I mean by that), never saying what she actually feels, wearing that public facade at all times. She is also very young and spoiled and has a lot to learn still.

• Love 2