Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Episode 1

Glade
  • Start Topic

On 9/26/2016 at 1:48 PM, monakane said:

I'm trying to decide whether to start reading the books.  Having read the Outlander books has made that series more enjoyable for me but I like being somewhat unspoiled for Poldark.  

I just ordered the first book to take on vacation with me in a couple of weeks.  Or I can just stare at the cover (Aiden Turner).

On 9/26/2016 at 11:53 AM, dubbel zout said:

George cracks me up as much as he exasperates me. I get his frustration with his social level, but he's also trying to crash an insular group of people in a very gaudy way. He keeps claiming to be a gentleman, but it's on a superficial level of manners. One reason Ross's appeal to the jury worked was that he spoke to them on a granular level of being Cornish and what their traditions are. George doesn't have that knowledge, or if he does, he uses it poorly.

I was thinking how different the story would be if we saw it through George's eyes.  He'd be the hero trying to get revenge on all those eeevil Poldarks.  Curse them!

I wasn't sure if we were supposed to like Caroline or see her as an indulgent, narcissistic, pampered womanchild (which was my initial reaction).  Calling Dwight to treat her dog and her continual flirting are just toying with him.  And the fact that he doesn't fawn over her is fueling her resolve to play with him.  It's good to know she isn't being callous but does want to be friends.

Poor Francis.  He tries so hard to please Elizabeth but can't measure up to Ross.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I was thinking how different the story would be if we saw it through George's eyes.  He'd be the hero trying to get revenge on all those eeevil Poldarks.  Curse them!

Dotted through the books are passages told from George's POV, and they are absolutely fascinating to read, because he hates all the heroes of the story so much, so viewing them through his eyes, utterly convinced of the justice of his own cause, is always intriguing - and damn, I desperately want to describe some of those passages, but it would be spoilery, so I won't. Suffice it to say that the author trusts his readers to know the story and characters well enough to be able to read between the lines of George's bias and draw their own conclusions.

I wasn't sure if we were supposed to like Caroline or see her as an indulgent, narcissistic, pampered womanchild (which was my initial reaction).  Calling Dwight to treat her dog and her continual flirting are just toying with him.  And the fact that he doesn't fawn over her is fueling her resolve to play with him.  It's good to know she isn't being callous but does want to be friends.

Well, at this stage, in a sense she is just toying with him - she's very young and sheltered, she's never met anyone like him before, and she is intrigued, interested enough to want to see more, and not really thinking beyond that, because Caroline has never been taught to think of others. Dwight is completely unsuitable for her, in that he is poor while she is a wealthy heiress expected to make a good match, so her interest in him sets up all kinds of inner conflict, because it can't go anywhere, and yet they are drawn to one another regardless. But to say too much more than that would be spoilery. We're currently at the start of book 3 in a 12 novel series!

• Love 3

I've caved.  Because I had already viewed Season 1 that covered the first two books, I decided to start reading with book three, Jeremy.  Now I'm on Warleggan. I'll go back and read the first two later.  After reading, I believe I can predict how this year's 10 episodes will be divided.  So there's that.

• Nana Poldark (aka Aunt Agatha) continues to slay everyone and everything. Long may she live and reign. And I'm now 100% certain she's an actual witch. She totally knows what you tried doing Francis. She sees and hears all.
  • Speaking of Francis the walking Human Disaster, :(. There was good stuff and obviously bad stuff going on with him. Him confronting George: Woooo! Go Francis!!!! Him attempting suicide: Nooooo Francis!!! Like I knew it was going to try it sooner or later. I always thought he'd jump off one of the cliffs, though.  
  • I'm actually fine with Francis refusing to make peace with the sea captain. Is his refusal dumb? Yes. But at least he's staying calm and not going wild like the last time.
  • i like the Francis/Dwight interaction. Maybe they'll become friends. Maybe Dwight can try helping him.
  • I don't like Caroline. Should I be quick to judge? No. But 99% of the stuff coming out of her mouth was distasteful imo. I totally wanted to slap her when she was talking about the trial being good entertainment. I don't care if it was her putting on an act or whatever. She's low on the totem pole for me right now.
  • George was, as usual, his fabulously evil self. I kind of like watching him crush on Elizabeth, though. She's the only one he's somewhat nice to (despite that he ruined her husband, tried to get her cousin executed, etc.). He's at least not directly evil towards her.
  • Love 2

I always thought a big reason Caroline is such a beloved character was the actor playing her back then - who gave her such wit and vivaciousness.

The new actor is off to a promising start, but the jury is still out for me.  IMO she has big shoes to fill and if her Caroline is coming across like a whore to the current audience she is not doing it right.  She is not coming across that way to me but I am so familiar with these characters that this influences how I look at everybody on this show.  I am not capable of a "new" and un-biased reaction to the characters.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, magdalene said:

I always thought a big reason Caroline is such a beloved character was the actor playing her back then - who gave her such wit and vivaciousness.

The new actor is off to a promising start, but the jury is still out for me.  IMO she has big shoes to fill and if her Caroline is coming across like a whore to the current audience she is not doing it right.  She is not coming across that way to me but I am so familiar with these characters that this influences how I look at everybody on this show.  I am not capable of a "new" and un-biased reaction to the characters.

I haven't watched the old series but have read the books and I really like this version of Caroline.  She doesn't come across as whorish in any way.  I see her as a rather spoiled, yet delightfully sarcastic.  I think GW is doing a good job showing Caroline's disregard for her suitor situation while portraying her curiosity and fascination with Dwight.

• Love 1
On September 25, 2016 at 9:21 PM, janeta said:

Farthing looks very much like the blonde incarnation of Roger Daltrey to me... George in the first series had black hair and the thick neck as described in the books.  Farthing seems too young to be George, to me.

What did Prudie call Tankard as he was trying to bribe Jud? Something something "piece of offal"? :-)

And Ray is the guy from Midsomer Murders, right?

I think Prudie told him: "Bugger off, you disgusting piece of offal!"  I laughed so hard I nearly peed my pants.

On 9/26/2016 at 10:56 AM, Auntie Anxiety said:

Although I too missed Ross' first season hair, I still swooned and was lucky that my fainting couch was nearby.  

I was waiting for Demelza to somehow get the message to Ross during the trial that she was pregnant and thought he would take his lawyer's advice. Guess I was wrong.

I'm so happy Ross and Co.  are back in my life.  I agree totally about the hair,  I can't believe they let AT get a cut and do the whole hair extensions thing with the show being renewed.  They just look different,  and shorter.  Also,  I feel like I saw a sideburn drawn on with makeup. Sometimes,  ok most of the time,  I wish this show had a glossy finish but this is my first Masterpiece show so maybe they all look like this.  

Either way,  everyone lives to ride another horse and tell another lie. 

On 9/26/2016 at 9:56 AM, JudyObscure said:

I sort of see most of these characters as high school kids ten years after.  George, who was never quite well born enough to hang with the young gentleman,  still seething about it. Francis who idolized Ross while still feeling inferior to him.  All three men falling in love with the same girl.  Elizabeth who most passionately loved Ross, but loves Francis, too. 

Me too, Bmoore, me too.  I actually started to cry when I thought he had killed himself.  I cry for Elizabeth, too, because she just can't convince him that she loves him.

I don't want to see the doctor fall for yet another pushy woman but she is interesting.

That Jud!  I like to think he saw Demelza in the court and lost his nerve, remembering the beating he took from her over the pie he stole and imagining how much worse it could get.

I actually was expecting Elizabeth to come to town and sleep with George to save Ross.   I guess Winston Graham's  imagination wasn't as sordid as mine, thank goodness.

I love this show!

Graham's imagination isn't close to as sordid as mine, so I've been been reading some interesting Poldark fanatic,  to,  um,  fill in some blanks! 

On 9/26/2016 at 6:36 AM, justmehere said:

We had the first two episodes together, so can't say much about outcomes here.

P.S. - No other episode threads? U.K. airings are ahead of U.S. aren't they?

I've been looking forward to this season ever since they delayed it to the Fall. And unlike the U.K. airing, the premiere was supposed to be just the first episode, except that PBS in my area FUCKED up and aired an episode of "Indian Summers" instead, while stating it as the premiere of this show. Emailing PBS got me nowhere and I can't find it online anywhere. So of course aside from the sneak peek I got earlier this summer, and knowing Ross wouldn't die, I have NO CLUE What happened in the premiere.?

To say I'm miffed is putting it lightly.

And I'm back to being pissed. The first half hour was preempted by Obama's farewell speech; which is okay, but the last 20 minutes of the show was cut off, and I don't know when PBS will air it again. DAMMIT. It cut off right in the middle of Dwight's testimony.

On 1/14/2017 at 9:29 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I'm back to being pissed. The first half hour was preempted by Obama's farewell speech; which is okay, but the last 20 minutes of the show was cut off, and I don't know when PBS will air it again. DAMMIT. It cut off right in the middle of Dwight's testimony.

You can probably stream it free with Amazon Prime if you have it.

30 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I knew you could do that with Downton Abbey...so, hopefully you can do it with Poldark.

BAH! Only season one is available on Prime. SIGH. Guess I'll have to donate monthly or something to be able to watch it on PBS's website. This sucks, because it's just the last half hour that got cut off due to the first half hour being preempted!

GHScorpiosRule, you've probably managed to see everything by now, but I just wanted to suggest that the DVDs of each season of Poldark can be had for about the price of a nice meal out. If you want to see some great scenes that were missing from the PBS version, they're in those DVDs, plus some lovely extras. And Aidan Turner looks even better in Blu-ray! Just sayin'... ;)

Warmly, Wendy

Edited by WScott
added a word and changed another
  • Love 2
On 3/19/2017 at 4:35 AM, WScott said:

GHScorpiosRule, you've probably managed to see everything by now, but I just wanted to suggest that the DVDs of each season of Poldark can be had for about the price of a nice meal out. If you want to see some great scenes that were missing from the PBS version, they're in those DVDs, plus some lovely extras. And Aidan Turner looks even better in Blu-ray! Just sayin'... ;)

Warmly, Wendy

Thanks @WScott! I actually haven't seen the last half hour of the premiere- Ross's trial and how it ends, due to preemption. But I may just get the dvds! Because aside from being yummy, I love Aidan's Oirish Brogue even more!??

What?

• Love 1

Well, of course, GH, he's not using his Irish brogue in this although once in a while it slips in, although it's somewhat similar to the Cornish accent, so I'm never sure if that's an accident or on purpose. I love having the DVDs. Some of those missing scenes are totally worth it. I hope you get to see it all one of these days.

Warmly, Wendy

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Any accent from the British Isles, be it Welsh or Scots or Irish or British, I love them all!

As an English person I feel duty bound to politely point out that it's Welsh, Scots, Irish or English accents (British is a blanket term for all of those) just a little trivia for you, hee :) 

• Love 3

I appreciate all the British accents, too, but I have to say, some of them are really hard to understand. As someone who is half-Scottish myself, I find the Scots the hardest to understand. The Irish are usually the easiest. I'm pretty sure the Irish had a lot of influence over the American accents because they're really pretty close, along with the Cornwall accent, in many ways. I heard Henry Garrett's (Captain McNeill) accent was criticized for being inauthentic, but it sounded right to me, especially since I often had to turn on the subtitles to understand him. LOL

Warmly, Wendy

1 minute ago, WScott said:

I appreciate all the British accents, too, but I have to say, some of them are really hard to understand. As someone who is half-Scottish myself, I find the Scots the hardest to understand. The Irish are usually the easiest. I'm pretty sure the Irish had a lot of influence over the American accents because they're really pretty close, along with the Cornwall accent, in many ways. I heard Henry Garrett's (Captain McNeill) accent was criticized for being inauthentic, but it sounded right to me, especially since I often had to turn on the subtitles to understand him. LOL

Warmly, Wendy

If any regional accent is very thick, (even English ones like Yorkshire or Lancashire) we have trouble understanding too. Although I never had a problem with any of the Cornish ones portrayed in the show. Sometimes the dialect used can make a difference also.

On 22/3/2017 at 8:55 AM, SilverStormm said:

As an English person I feel duty bound to politely point out that it's Welsh, Scots, Irish or English accents (British is a blanket term for all of those) just a little trivia for you, hee :) 

British is a blanket term for Welsh, Scots or English.  Ireland isn't part of Britain - although Northern Ireland is part the UK...but not Britain.

36 minutes ago, Ceindreadh said:

British is a blanket term for Welsh, Scots or English.  Ireland isn't part of Britain - although Northern Ireland is part the UK...but not Britain.

You are correct, I personally include the Northern Irish as they're eligible for a British passport as well as being part of the UK. But as most people outside of GB/UK wouldn't be aware of such technicalities, I glossed over it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

You are correct, I personally include the Northern Irish as they're eligible for a British passport as well as being part of the UK. But as most people outside of GB/UK wouldn't be aware of such technicalities, I glossed over it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

This diagram here might help - it very helpfully illustrates the fine distinction between British Islands, British Isles, UK and Great Britain!

But we're off-topic now, for which I apologise.

I'd like to hear him do a straight American accent, just for fun. I love how he talks no matter what accent he's using, but it would be a novelty for him to speak American. I doubt it would be very difficult for him since the Irish accent is so close. Sarah Greene, his ex-girlfriend, is in a TV show in the US these days called Ransom, and her American accent is perfect. She's as Irish as he is.

• Love 1