Type keyword(s) to search

The Other Duggars: The Lost Girls and Amy

Message added by Scarlett45

If your post is not PRIMARILY about the Duggars, it will be removed. Please stick to the topic or take it to Small Talk, thank you.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Lady Edith said:

Just wondering if I missed something...what is the obsession with ice cream?  It's good and all, but it seems like every pic they post of the kids includes ice cream.  ?

They must think ice cream goes well with pickles~   Didn't one of them say they didn't like cake--maybe Jessa?  That must mean that none of them like cake!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

Most likely these are the Aldi brand of cones.  They would never buy name-brand food for the kids.  Reason,  Drumsticks are hella expensive.  $6-8 vs. $2-3 for the Aldi brand.  

If not, they may ALL be in for squishy poop.  Not just Josie.

Just wondering if I missed something...what is the obsession with ice cream?  It's good and all, but it seems like every pic they post of the kids includes ice cream.  ?

The families ice cream passion has interested me for awhile. Ice cream at weddings with no cake, ice cream sundaes but no birthday cake, at least two kids requested fruit instead of b-day cake, so what's up with the cake hate?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Almost 3000 said:

The families ice cream passion has interested me for awhile. Ice cream at weddings with no cake, ice cream sundaes but no birthday cake, at least two kids requested fruit instead of b-day cake, so what's up with the cake hate?

Cake takes time and effort to make/bake.... Ice cream is ready to eat... maybe that is why they don't chose cake? 

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Almost 3000 said:

Wait, what?  Some kid wanted fruit instead of a birthday cake?   Seriously?  That is just sad, damn.

Fruit should not be a TREAT!  Not for a family with the Duggar's money, anyway.  I am surprised half of the kids don't have rickets, sheesh.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Almost 3000 said:

We don't do cake in my family.  5/6 of us just don't like the stuff so we go with something else.  I would much rather have fruit myself! 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Wait, what?  Some kid wanted fruit instead of a birthday cake?   Seriously?  That is just sad, damn.

Fruit should not be a TREAT!  Not for a family with the Duggar's money, anyway.  I am surprised half of the kids don't have rickets, sheesh.

I'm going with the fruit birthday was another FU internet moment.  IIRC, one of the lost girls requested fruit instead of a cake & there were pictures floating around showing a fruit platter. I hope the birthday girl got to enjoy the fruit by herself without having all her siblings dirty fingers digging in to help themselves.

IIRC, Michelle explained in one of the earlier episodes that since (fresh) fruit costs so much, it was considered a treat. What a shame. I remember the episode where some of the kids went grape picking. The kids couldn't get enough of them, even tho they were the sour kind.  Since all the internet  hoopla about it, we have seen more fruit appear on the show.  I remember someone cutting up oranges on one old episode as well as them having watermelon on the old cookout/sleep out episode. Like we all know, throwing a fruit salad together isn't difficult. (Well maybe for this group it is.)

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I'm going with the fruit birthday was another FU internet moment.  IIRC, one of the lost girls requested fruit instead of a cake & there were pictures floating around showing a fruit platter. I hope the birthday girl got to enjoy the fruit by herself without having all her siblings dirty fingers digging in to help themselves.

IIRC, Michelle explained in one of the earlier episodes that since (fresh) fruit costs so much, it was considered a treat. What a shame. I remember the episode where some of the kids went grape picking. The kids couldn't get enough of them, even tho they were the sour kind.  Since all the internet  hoopla about it, we have seen more fruit appear on the show.  I remember someone cutting up oranges on one old episode as well as them having watermelon on the old cookout/sleep out episode. Like we all know, throwing a fruit salad together isn't difficult. (Well maybe for this group it is.)

There's always Aldi canned fruit cocktail....

• Love 1

I read an article a while back that eating healthier costs about 2 dollars more per person per day. However they weren't comparing the cost of ice cream cones and Starbucks to apples and bananas. I believe there was a time when to Duggars relied on canned food for cost and shelf life, and the act of shopping was more difficult. Those days are gone.

Their income has increased significantly, they are no longer buying diapers, formula and pregnancy tests, and I assume their school costs and music costs have decreased. And they have more driving adults than they do kids.

They can afford all the fresh fruit and veggies they want now. Although I imagine some of the fresh vegetables would spoil before they were consumed.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

They must be saving thousands from not buying diapers anymore. 

Although they may have had to shift some of that cost to MEEchelle. And Jizm Bob.

Just sayin.

3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

They can afford all the fresh fruit and veggies they want now. Although I imagine some of the fresh vegetables would spoil before they were consumed.

They could do bags of frozen ones. Those are just about as healthy. But a lot of those would probably succumb to freezer burn as well. Because we're talking a big change in eating habits. Not so easy to accomplish. Especially for people who continually tell us that they have absolutely no self control.

• Love 1

In the latest episode, Jill and Jana are in the kitchen sautéing a large pan of fresh vegetables. I could see green but they didn't pan in close enough to make out individual vegetables.  But what made me sure it was all staged for the show was that Jill chopped an onion and added it to the already cooking vegetables.  Everyone knows you Saute onion FIRST!!!

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, louannems said:

In the latest episode, Jill and Jana are in the kitchen sautéing a large pan of fresh vegetables. I could see green but they didn't pan in close enough to make out individual vegetables.  But what made me sure it was all staged for the show was that Jill chopped an onion and added it to the already cooking vegetables.  Everyone knows you Saute onion FIRST!!!

Reminiscent of Jessa's ground-beef dish .... Uh, Jessa, ever hear of browning the ground beef? Nope.

Maybe the girls are actually trying to enter the world of cooking actual food? But of course they're screwing it up, because they never saw it modeled and they don't read or watch even television or, apparently, scan the Internet for information -- just for people's opinions of them.

I'd like to think that they've heard of real food and are trying to cook it. But it all seems so FU Internetz that it's hard not to be skeptical.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, louannems said:

Yep, any recipe involving onions will always say to cook them until translucent and then add in whatever other ingredients are required. For a bunch of girls who were bred to be housewives from birth, they're completely useless. 

• Love 13
On 10/23/2016 at 10:22 AM, BitterApple said:

Yep, any recipe involving onions will always say to cook them until translucent and then add in whatever other ingredients are required. For a bunch of girls who were bred to be housewives from birth, they're completely useless. 

They weren't bred to be housewives - they were bred to be Holstein heifers.  

Edited by fonfereksglen
  • Love 10
On 10/21/2016 at 4:57 PM, flyingdi said:

Hey, hey slow down there people! Aldi ice cream is not bad at all.  Cheap doesn't mean bad. Except for their ice pops which aren't fruity enough.

I have to say...the Aldi brand of Sundae Nut Cones are awesome.  And certain times of the year, they have them in all chocolate, even the cone.  I've had some of their fruit bars that had huge chunks of strawberries but the "organic" ones don't.

• Love 2
On Friday, October 21, 2016 at 9:25 PM, Barbie said:

Cake takes time and effort to make/bake.... Ice cream is ready to eat... maybe that is why they don't chose cake? 

Exactly. Homemade cakes take effort & bakery cakes are pricey. I highly suspect the kids were told they don't like cake, similar to how they don't like rap music without knowing much about it.

• Love 9

Yeah, the only cakes I've ever seen at Duggar Central have been sheet cakes (remember Mack's baby shower and Mechelle correcting the spelling?), the mess Anna tried to make for Michael's first birthday, and the rainbow cake that Sierra produced (likely from a bakery) to replace it. 

Not surprising with a family that size that they haven't experienced real cake. It would take three to feed them. 

I also guess Jessa thought Jill's main cake/sheet cake arrangement was tacky and didn't want to go there again. So she stupidly served ice cream in a parking lot on a 45 degree day. Brilliant, especially since they don't have to menu plan months ahead of time. 

16 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Yeah, the only cakes I've ever seen at Duggar Central have been sheet cakes (remember Mack's baby shower and Mechelle correcting the spelling?), the mess Anna tried to make for Michael's first birthday, and the rainbow cake that Sierra produced (likely from a bakery) to replace it. 

I gotta ask.

Was the name actually misspelled?

Or was Mechelle having a, uh, moment.

On 10/23/2016 at 5:16 AM, GeeGolly said:

Their income has increased significantly, they are no longer buying diapers, formula and pregnancy tests,

Oh, I'll bet Michelle still takes a pregnancy test every couple of days. Hope springs eternal.

• Love 6

Even if the family isn't buying diapers for their own kids (not sure about the grandkids), they're not saving money on car insurance, that's for certain. I don't know how expensive it is in Arkansas, but here in NJ, it cost us an additional $1300 a year to add my then 17 year old son, with his car that was a real junker. He still drives it, a 1993 Toyota Corolla with 182,000 miles, back and forth to community college at 5 miles each way. We have a 22 year old who is also a college student and he drives a 1997 Camry, and my husband and I each have a car around 10 years old- still close to $4000 a year for car insurance, mine is the least expensive for a minivan. I can't imagine what Jim Bob's policy must be, especially if he has to carry comp and collision on them. 

• Love 4

@CarolMK - moved recently from Louisiana. Have relatives in New Jersey. Live in Georgia now. I think everything in New Jersey is more expensive than most other places. I'm shocked by property taxes too. JB probably has the bare minimum insurance on all those kids and trusts Jesus that he won't need any of it. 

• Love 2
On October 23, 2016 at 10:22 AM, BitterApple said:

I've been SMDH over EXACTLY that!

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I've been SMDH over EXACTLY that!

The thing is, though, they were born into that belief system -- but everything that actually happens at the Duggar house is in line with Jizm Bob and MEEchelle's nutso needs and desires, not the beliefs. And the only way the girls would have learned about housekeeping and cooking and such would be for their mother to model it for them and even teach them. .... But they have a mother who has far less than zero interest in any of it. So whatever they learned, they probably picked up just because doing some of that stuff was a necessity -- like making Jizm Bob big breakfasts on the run. They're self-taught and their position as child slaves probably didn't leave them too motivated. Not surprising.

• Love 5

@Churchhoney....Thank You, Churchie, what you said there explains everything really well.  Apparently, Michelle was falling down on the job of teaching her girls all those Gothard-y wifey things that the cult expected of her, since she wasn't doing those things.  Either that or she stopped doing them entirely...she's got no fucks to give and is living for her Starbucks and elliptical.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

F.U. Interwebz! See! We do pay attention to the Lost Girls. Johannah and...uh...err...whatshername.

On a side note, when did Hannie turn into Josh's twin?

Funny you should say that. For a moment, I actually thought it WAS Smuggley Do Right...you can only imagine my relief when I saw the ponytail. 

• Love 1

I guess this means Jinger isn't having a mani-pedi Jamberry party like Jill did a couple days before her wedding (I remember it because it happened on my birthday). Could they be doing this because the wedding is destination? Eh, probably not, just saving time on the littles. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Or maybe they were too embarrassed that MEchelle was shown slipping Jamberry items into her purse at Jill's party.

If they were capable of embarrassment, that would make sense. I'm sure they think she was entitled to them.

• Love 9

Well, Jill DID pimp out Jamberry by name on her Instagram that day (what a fool I was to check my social media!). I doubt hippy-dippy Jill had heard of Jamberry before. Knowing she was engaged, I imagine they approached HER via TLC PR and the Duggars got freebies. And Mechelle took extras because she's entitled like that. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Well, Jill DID pimp out Jamberry by name on her Instagram that day (what a fool I was to check my social media!). I doubt hippy-dippy Jill had heard of Jamberry before. Knowing she was engaged, I imagine they approached HER via TLC PR and the Duggars got freebies. And Mechelle took extras because she's entitled like that. 

And MEchelle does like her "Bling."  I think that was the episode when we first heard about her liking Bling. 

• Love 4
On 10/19/2016 at 4:55 PM, Malvina said:

This adorable little girl should be outside playing kickball with the neighbor kids, riding her bike, drawing with sidewalk chalk, learning fractions, and maybe playing on the local Little League or soccer team.

Instead, just as she's blossoming into her own person with her own unique talents, she will be relegated to caring for her younger nieces and nephews.  And a one-on-one photo-op for an ice cream cone doesn't change a damn thing.

I despise Jim Bob and Michelle.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Malvina said:

How about "comb your kid's hair day" or "wash your kid's feet day"

And....why do they say no pants yet they have pants on underneath the dresses which you can see? I'm so confused 

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, Annb67 said:

How about "comb your kid's hair day" or "wash your kid's feet day"

And....why do they say no pants yet they have pants on underneath the dresses which you can see? I'm so confused 

Not to mention the white "modesty" t-shirts under a dress that is already modest.  I would think, in the heat of Arkansas, those layers would be horrible.  Although I guess if they never really go outside, it's not that big a deal.  Their home has A/C, as does Starbucks and the local mani-pedi salon, I'm sure.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Not to mention the white "modesty" t-shirts under a dress that is already modest.  I would think, in the heat of Arkansas, those layers would be horrible.  Although I guess if they never really go outside, it's not that big a deal.  Their home has A/C, as does Starbucks and the local mani-pedi salon, I'm sure.

Holy crap I just noticed that! Wth is wrong with these idiots!? Why is that shirt needed? It's a damn collarbone. Freaks

• Love 7