Type keyword(s) to search

The Other Duggars: The Lost Girls and Amy

Message added by Scarlett45

If your post is not PRIMARILY about the Duggars, it will be removed. Please stick to the topic or take it to Small Talk, thank you.

• Start Topic

I didn't known there was a Justin until a few years ago and I've been watching this show for several years.

Until he changed his hairstyle it was really easy to assume he was just Jackson coming down from a sugar high.

• Love 5

I didn't known there was a Justin until a few years ago and I've been watching this show for several years.

Justin and Jackson look eerily similar, but during the earlier specials I thought Jackson was the cutest baby/toddler the family ever had.

• Love 2

Justin and Jackson look eerily similar, but during the earlier specials I thought Jackson was the cutest baby/toddler the family ever had.

I did too. And he was the one they lost at the airport when he was only 4 years old! With a filming crew around, no less!

• Love 1

I did too. And he was the one they lost at the airport when he was only 4 years old! With a filming crew around, no less!

That's one of the snippets of the show that I've actually watched. And the voiceover of Boob, saying that they heard over the loudspeaker that a kid by that name had been found and that he ran down to get him. Except what they show is not Jim Bob running but Jim Bob strolling to get him. And by the time JimBob got there, somebody had already brought him back to the family -- to Jana, specifically. A four-year-old. Who wouldn't run at breakneck speed through an airport to rescue a lost child of that age, even if it wasn't your own kid. Boob appears to have strolled, and it was his kid .....

Also, so much for the effectiveness of the buddy system when you have more than a dozen people to keep track of, many of them small children and most of the rest preteens and teenagers. It's certainly possible for anyone to lose track of a child. But the parental response seemed disturbingly casual to me.

• Love 2

Hang on, they lost a child??? What sister/buddy/mom stuffed up there? (because presumably Boob and J'Chelle were busy looking at each other as per usual to watch their children)

Yes, they lost Jackson. Of course Mullet and Boob were not concerned at all. IIRC, Mullet and Boob were chit chatting and exchanging pleasantries with airport security whilst a traumatized Jackson was being comforted by his real mom, Jana. What kid wouldn't be clinging to his parents after this? Poor Jackson knew his birth parents didn't give a shit so he went to Jana instead.

• Love 4

If I recall, didn't Boob say they let him go to the restroom himself, and that's how he got lost.

Of course his sister-mom couldn't take him to the restroom because - the horrors!

God only knows what his father or older brothers were doing that they couldn't take him. Not Josh though.

• Love 5
Now what if god forbid Jackson got kidnapped. I still don't understand why JimChelle are in front holding hands while sister moms each have two buddies they're holding hands with

For the life of me, I don't know either.  One would think that each of the parents would have the 4 littlest ones in each hand.  It would seem logical, and the right thing to do, in my mind.  Then again, I don't know why I try to figure those damn Duggars out.  "Logical" and "Duggar" just don't go together.

• Love 4

I only have 3 kids. When we go on trips and have to walk a lot, my husband walks in front, and I walk behind the kids. The rule is don't get ahead of Daddy or behind Mommy. That way I can see them all and avoid losing one. I cannot imagine just blissfully walking along hand-in-hand with my husband and assuming the kids were fine. Even if I had a paid nanny or "mother's helper" along, I wouldn't do that. 

• Love 9

who the hell lets a child go to the Bathroom by themselves in an airport? It's like they don't even care if a kid gets lost, because Mechelle will just pop out another.

Anything could have happened to Jackson that day. They're lucky they even found their son again.

• Love 8
(edited)

Really, doesn't Michelle worry about all the unsavory characters using public bathrooms? ;)

Ha ha, good observation!

Michelle was probably in line at Starbucks when Jackson got lost. The kids are the J'Slaves' problem to worry about, not hers.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 3
(edited)

If they're canned, they're cooked. It may not be gracious dining, but it's no worse than eating baked beans out of the can, which I have done on occasion. And it IS a vegetable.

Edited by Quilt Fairy

I cringed when I saw that canned food due to the high sodium content being fed to the baby/toddler Howler. Remember, in those days, they bought their food pretty exclusively at Aldi. I don't think they were shopping for sodium-free or organic choices back then. 

• Love 1

If they're canned, they're cooked. It may not be gracious dining, but it's no worse than eating baked beans out of the can, which I have done on occasion. And it IS a vegetable.

I'm Australian, I've visited America twice, and I am certain that Americans have the cheapest food eg frozen peas, beans, carrots etc of any Western country. Canned vegetables are really indefensible. If you can buy tater tots you can buy frozen vegetables.
  • Love 4

Obviously they didn't kill any kids feeding them peas (or Lord knows what else) from cans. I just can't wrap my head around it. In my kitchen RIGHT NOW is a crock pot full of chicken and rice (and a little leftover steak) FOR MY D.O.G.S.!!!!! (We mix some "wet" food in their dinner every night, and it's actually cheaper to fill up the crockpot with chicken and rice than to buy the premium dog food I would want them to have.). When my babies were babies, I saw feeding them as a priority, giving them the nutrition to grow and develop properly. If we were starving and I'd received the can of peas at a food bank, and the baby was desperate for food: I might resort to opening the can and feeding them from it with my fingers if need be. Otherwise, I'm opening the can, warming the peas, putting them in a bowl and probably having other items to go with. It just seems so "thrown away" to be feeding a baby from a can like that. Like a side note. Oh, J-kid is hungry, put something in her. And I guess, really, it comes down to just my perception (because you know THAT J-kid eventually got old enough to feed her baby sibling peas from a can).

Yep, peas are peas after all, and yes, they're cooked if they're canned. How funny would it be to sit down for dinner, and on the table at everyone's normal seat, there sat their favorite canned vegetable on the plate? In the can. With a spoon. Yummy! Eat up! You wouldn't do that for kids old enough to have opinions. Why is the baby an afterthought?

And I'll admit, it IS my perception. But then, at MY house, babies were almost revered. Their needs came FIRST, always. Nowadays, my "babies" have fur, hence the crockpot. [but that may only last until my new grand gets here in the fall... THEN the dogs may go back to canned dog food - straight out of the can!]

• Love 9

In addition to what HFC said, I consider that:

1. The Duggars are not poor and hence are not reliant on whatever canned goods they receive from the community pantry. Therefore, they can afford commercially prepared baby food.

2. There are lots of able bodies running around that house. Able bodies over the age of 15 (arbitrary cut-off) who could cook and prepare their own baby food if they do not want to feed their children commercially prepared baby food.

3. I do not know what other options are available other than commercially prepared or home-made baby food.

4. I do not consider feeding a baby veggies straight from a can a normal option, but I could be wrong. Still, I have never heard of this before.

5. If this is something that's done, wouldn't you at least mush up the veggies a bit first?

• Love 7
(edited)

Apparently you wouldn't mush the veggies up nor warm them (or even make them appetizing in any way). It just GALLS me that they are so INTENT on creating these little humans to completely toss them aside later. So WRONG!!!

But, like I said, maybe that's just my wrong perception. Babies, toddlers (little ones in general) have a different place on my agenda list. If you're actively working at giving birth in record numbers, that says to ME that you have a plan to CARE for them (and I mean CARE; the plan shouldn't be to hand them off!). If you can't CARE for kids, don't HAVE kids.

And of course, I'm not only speaking of peas in a can. I'm talking holding, nurturing, teaching - you know, LOVING them all. Shelter, education, base needs, food. Holding them, teaching them that they can depend on you, helping them learn coping skills, making sure each individual one has LIFE skills, All of it. It just goes right back to the incredible lack of PLANNING, to work so hard to produce something that is (after 6 months) an afterthought.

Sorry, I'm ranting about something that's been chopped, gutted, blended and puréed 10,000 times. I am just so hurt for the children. And embarrassed for these stupid parents who thought sharing their way of life was a GOOD thing. Ugh!!! I am a nurturer by nature. I want to rescue these sweet children and help them! I'm a bleeding heart.

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 8

Well, regarding the canned peas, I posted before that we grew up on canned vegetables, drained and put on the table.  And we all grew up healthy.  My mother was depressed most of the time and hated cooking in general and didn't like to eat what my father wanted, so therefore open a can, drain it, if we were lucky the lid was completely off.  We weren't poor by any means - had red meat almost every night.  Sometimes potatoes.  Never rice. She didn't like it.  Always a salad.  He demanded that.  Once I got married the first time I banned cans from the table (and mostly from the meals) but, part of that will always be comfort food to me.  So while it seems like an abomination to feed a baby straight from a can, and I never did that, looks like they have survived.  Of course we don't know what the insides of their bodies are like, re: blood sugar, cholesterol, etc.  Anyway, YMMV.

• Love 1

Change of subject: The Bates. I do watch their show and see the blatant differences between them and the Duggars. However Alyssa married a conservative politician's son & Michael is engaged to a Gothard employee. Is the Bates family just more savvy & subtle (maybe having learned from some of the Duggar 'mistakes'), or are they more 'see how we live - if your life is lacking - join us'?

Apparently you wouldn't mush the veggies up nor warm them (or even make them appetizing in any way). It just GALLS me that they are so INTENT on creating these little humans to completely toss them aside later. So WRONG!!!

But, like I said, maybe that's just my wrong perception. Babies, toddlers (little ones in general) have a different place on my agenda list. If you're actively working at giving birth in record numbers, that says to ME that you have a plan to CARE for them (and I mean CARE; the plan shouldn't be to hand them off!). If you can't CARE for kids, don't HAVE kids.

And of course, I'm not only speaking of peas in a can. I'm talking holding, nurturing, teaching - you know, LOVING them all. Shelter, education, base needs, food. Holding them, teaching them that they can depend on you, helping them learn coping skills, making sure each individual one has LIFE skills, All of it. It just goes right back to the incredible lack of PLANNING, to work so hard to produce something that is (after 6 months) an afterthought.

Sorry, I'm ranting about something that's been chopped, gutted, blended and puréed 10,000 times. I am just so hurt for the children. And embarrassed for these stupid parents who thought sharing their way of life was a GOOD thing. Ugh!!! I am a nurturer by nature. I want to rescue these sweet children and help them! I'm a bleeding heart.

IMO, it all comes down to Me-chelle's monumental laziness - she simply can't be bothered to heat the peas and feed from a bowl. An effing paper bowl! She had all these kids and there was always something else that needed doing. Even when she "only" had 6-7 kids. Unless I'm mistaken, I bet the "cold peas from the can" deal is just one of many "shortcuts" she employed to meet basic needs. The rest of us see it as "Geez, if you can't properly care for all these kids, then don't have them." And of course we know the Duggars' answer to that.

• Love 2
(edited)

In addition to what HFC said, I consider that:

1. The Duggars are not poor and hence are not reliant on whatever canned goods they receive from the community pantry. Therefore, they can afford commercially prepared baby food.

2. There are lots of able bodies running around that house. Able bodies over the age of 15 (arbitrary cut-off) who could cook and prepare their own baby food if they do not want to feed their children commercially prepared baby food.

3. I do not know what other options are available other than commercially prepared or home-made baby food.

4. I do not consider feeding a baby veggies straight from a can a normal option, but I could be wrong. Still, I have never heard of this before.

5. If this is something that's done, wouldn't you at least mush up the veggies a bit first?

It always surprised me that they were comfortable letting the food being served directly out of the can to the toddlers be seen on the show. If you think about it, this is one of the many things that made the show popular. The Duggars like the Honey Boo Boos have that WTF factor that other families like the Willis's lack. Edited by Almost 3000
  • Love 5

It always surprised me that they were comfortable letting the food being served directly out of the can to the toddlers be seen on the show. If you think about it, this is one of the many things that made the show popular. The Duggars like the Honey Boo Boos have that WTF factor that other families like the Willis's lack.

I think you may be on to something here. Are the Willises boring because, aside from family size, they're so normal? And should TLC rename itself the WTF Channel?

Yet the Duggars have their devoted fans in addition to the hate-watchers, the train-wreck watchers, the weirdness-watchers, etc. I'm not sure that Honey Boo Boo's family was seen as presenting any kind of path to follow, for example. And 600-lb Life and Sex Sent Me to the ER?

The TV critic for the Washington Post has suggested that the Duggars be followed in true documentary fashion. I'll sprout wings and fly before JimBob will allow anything like that, but it could be interesting. I think we spend a lot of time in this forum trying to read between the lines (scenes?) and add social media and other sources to craft our own documentary version of the Duggars.

• Love 3

Is the Bates family just more savvy & subtle (maybe having learned from some of the Duggar 'mistakes'), or are they more 'see how we live - if your life is lacking - join us'?

I think it's a combination of both of those and the fact that the Bates are just more pleasant people to be around. Michelle admitted that she doesn't "have a heart for children" and found them overwhelming prior to instituting the buddy system. I have always thought their home life was depressing; none of them have ever seemed happy to me or acted like they even like each other. Plus, the "in our family vs. other families" has always seemed to me to be very judgmental. While the Bates all seem to like each other and the parents seem to actually parent their own children instead of leaving it to the older ones. I don't agree with their religion or their politics, and I'm sure they think I'm headed for hell as much as the Duggars do, but when I'm done watching their show, I don't want to punch the parents for killing any spark of intelligence or individuality their kids have.

• Love 5

I'm Australian, I've visited America twice, and I am certain that Americans have the cheapest food eg frozen peas, beans, carrots etc of any Western country. Canned vegetables are really indefensible. If you can buy tater tots you can buy frozen vegetables.

You cannot, however, feed the family, including the youngest toddlers, frozen carrots straight out of the bag and convince them it's dinner! (unless it's an exceptionally hot night, that is) So from the Michelle point of view -- Frozen veggies? Unacceptable.  .... Frozen lasagna is a-ok, however.

You cannot, however, feed the family, including the youngest toddlers, frozen carrots straight out of the bag and convince them it's dinner! (unless it's an exceptionally hot night, that is) So from the Michelle point of view -- Frozen veggies? Unacceptable. .... Frozen lasagna is a-ok, however.

In an early episode, Jim Bob pretended to care about his weight, and so he ate canned carrots, and he seemed legit repulsed by them. Salty as they already are, the family can't eat them without even more canned salt, in the form of canned soup.

I doubt Jim Bob is this cunning, but poor nutrition would keep his sons short, and he is very easily emasculated.

• Love 1

In an early episode, Jim Bob pretended to care about his weight, and so he ate canned carrots, and he seemed legit repulsed by them. Salty as they already are, the family can't eat them without even more canned salt, in the form of canned soup.

I doubt Jim Bob is this cunning, but poor nutrition would keep his sons short, and he is very easily emasculated.

Ha. Now, see, this just shows how well things work out for Jim Bob. He must be doing something right!

In another thread I mentioned Jackson looks 5, at least to me. No we know why! ;)

It is very easy to make homemade baby food.

Any of them - except Jana - would have the time to do this. You just need to make sure you get the right baby vitamins to mix with the food.

Oh, and BTW, I wouldn't eat any peas EXCEPT sweet peas from a can. There's nothing more delicious.

• Love 3

It is very easy to make homemade baby food.

Any of them - except Jana - would have the time to do this. You just need to make sure you get the right baby vitamins to mix with the food.

Oh, and BTW, I wouldn't eat any peas EXCEPT sweet peas from a can. There's nothing more delicious.

My mom made a salad from canned sweet peas: Drain a can of peas and toss peas with mayo, small cheddar or Velveeta chunks and sweet pickle relish. The Duggars would think its gourmet.
(edited)

My mom made a salad from canned sweet peas: Drain a can of peas and toss peas with mayo, small cheddar or Velveeta chunks and sweet pickle relish. The Duggars would think its gourmet.

My mother made that too. Not one of her children ever serves that. I HATED it. Even to me as a little bitty child, I thought mixing mayo, eggs and pickles with a can of perfectly good green peas was just...wrong. It's one of the joys of growing up and being in charge of meals: I never have to eat that again!

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 5

In one of my drunker moments earlier this year, I had some velveeta and ro-tel imported at considerable expense to create this 'famous' queso dip. It was so rubbery and gross. Shame on me for thinking food made from 'food product' could be good.
  • Love 1

I think the Duggars are both ignorant and lazy when it comes to food preparation. They'll dump a box of instant potatoes into boiling water even though fresh mashed potatoes aren't difficult to make. For what it's worth the Bateses aren't much better. On an epi last season,Tori and Carlin couldn't identify broccoli at the grocery store.

• Love 5