Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

25 minutes ago, graefin said:

I agree that she's raising her kids the way she was raised. I don't necessarily think she's humiliating them on purpose; I just think she's ignorant and truly doesn't know how to be a better parent, or even that she needs to be a better parent. 

Agree. Michelle always bragged that she trained herself not to raise her voice with her kids and gave each kid a few minutes to talk with her each week. Apparently those two things are the only things needed to make one a good parent.

• Love 18

Re: the garter toss....no need for the bride to wear it way up high on her thigh. It can be worn just below the knee.  I have seen brides wear it that way in my time.

How did this tradition get started? Anyone know what it's supposed to signify?

Jill is an idiot. I'm very surprised that NO ONE on Derick's side of the family has stepped up with some good advice on how to COMFORT your child.  I saw no need to let that poor kid be upset and afraid. Jill could have been a caring mother when Izzy was visibly upset and had Derick go to the dock and let them off. She could have sacrificed HER boat ride to help her son. He just turned 3 in April; he's a little guy who needs some love.

• Love 20
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Michelle always bragged that she trained herself not to raise her voice with her kids and gave each kid a few minutes to talk with her each week.

And I'd bet that the "few minutes to talk" always turned out to be a list of chores to be done or a little lecture on how lucky the child was to have a wonderful mother like her.

• Love 18
35 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

And I'd bet that the "few minutes to talk" always turned out to be a list of chores to be done or a little lecture on how lucky the child was to have a wonderful mother like her.

Or a reminder of what irredeemable sinners they are, just in case they ever think they are worth  something as human beings in and of themselves.

• Love 21
(edited)
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

Re: the garter toss....no need for the bride to wear it way up high on her thigh. It can be worn just below the knee.  I have seen brides wear it that way in my time.

Jill is an idiot. I'm very surprised that NO ONE on Derick's side of the family has stepped up with some good advice on how to COMFORT your child.  I saw no need to let that poor kid be upset and afraid. Jill could have been a caring mother when Izzy was visibly upset and had Derick go to the dock and let them off. She could have sacrificed HER boat ride to help her son. He just turned 3 in April; he's a little guy who needs some love.

I don't know if I would have gotten to the point of letting Izzy off as long as he was not in any danger. I don't think that would have helped him overcome his fear of riding on the boat in the long term. That being said, Jill totally responded to Izzy in such a Michelle way and utterly clueless. She could have held him while they were on the boat.

Edited by madpsych78
Grammar
  • Love 13
3 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

I don't know if I would have gotten to the point of letting Izzy off as long as he was not in any danger. I don't think that would have helped him overcome his fear of riding on the boat in the long term. That being said, Jill totally responded to Izzy in such a Michelle way and utterly clueless. She could have held him while they were on the boat.

Heck, yeah. I'm not even a parent and I know there are better ways to behave with that scared child than his mother did. 

And, so sad and so true: she's modeling the parenting she witnessed growing up Duggar. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

From what I've read, the tradition comes from long ago.  Apparently tearing off a piece of the brides gown was considered good luck because the person tearing the piece off would share in the good luck of the bride.  Brides didn't like being torn apart (go figure), so they started wearing a garter that could easily be removed, giving the luck seeker a piece of her clothing and the luck they desired without all the ripping.  Sounds crazy!  If you've read or seen Game of Thrones, they do a "bedding ceremony" where they remove the new couple's clothing as they are dragged to their room to consummate, so maybe that's the basis since GRR Martin uses real history as a foundation for his writing.  There are lots of weird reasons for the traditions around weddings.  It be interesting reading. 

As you stated, no need to put it up high on your leg, if you plan to partake in the tradition.  Also, I'm sick of the stupid jokes where the groom reaches under the dress and pulls out some "hilarious" object.  I did do the garter ritual at my wedding, but that was three decades ago and I would not recommend it now.  I didn't put the garter way up on my leg and my husband took it off without a lot of fanfare.  We saved the fanfare for later! ;)

• Love 4

Derick has gone off about children being exploited on reality television. Is it different when it’s YouTube? There’s no reason to post many of the videos they have chosen to post, IMO.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, madpsych78 said:

I think all they needed to do was slow the boat down and he would've been fine. Izzy is really good at articulating his thoughts and he specifically said it was the speed that made him afraid. 

• Love 19
29 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I think all they needed to do was slow the boat down and he would've been fine. Izzy is really good at articulating his thoughts and he specifically said it was the speed that made him afraid. 

Wouldn't that have made an interesting video to watch? Seeing Jill respond to Israel's wailing by asking him kindly what was wrong, his telling her he was scared, her further asking why, his clarifying that the speed was the problem, and then Jill telling his father to slow down and then her asking their son if he now felt better? 

Instead she just waits for it to all be over and then asks him after the fact what it was all about. Maybe 20 years from now she'll win a fake Mother of the Year award like her mom.

• Love 23
On 6/25/2018 at 7:05 AM, Jynnan tonnix said:

Is there another photo? In the one I see the picture cuts off at the ankle and I only see a fragment of one strap - not enough to extrapolate to awful or Birkenstocks. and only barely enough to think the  shoes might not entirely match the dress.

Quoting myself to add that for some reason there's a fraction more of the shoe showing on hat photo for me than there was the other day. I have no idea why. The first time I went back to look after some of the original comments were made, it was literally cut off at the ankle with just a fraction of one strap visible. Yesterday I looked again, and could see a little bit of the one strap and the hint of another one. Today I see two straps down to a little past the point that they cross. Anyone else? I still have no idea why that's happening.

That being said, we all know I'm not a shoe person and unless these things are actually falling apart, I'm all for her wearing something she's comfortable in. While the dress is a tad too fitted for it, a bright floral with a sort of rustic sandal can suggest a sort of Bohemian vibe, which is something that, while I cringe to admit it, I seem to share a liking for with Jill. The whole look might be just a tad "off" in this case, but I wouldn't call anything about it "horrible". Jill's nailed "horrible" many times, and this isn't it.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, graefin said:

Wouldn't that have made an interesting video to watch? Seeing Jill respond to Israel's wailing by asking him kindly what was wrong, his telling her he was scared, her further asking why, his clarifying that the speed was the problem, and then Jill telling his father to slow down and then her asking their son if he now felt better? 

Instead she just waits for it to all be over and then asks him after the fact what it was all about. Maybe 20 years from now she'll win a fake Mother of the Year award like her mom.

I doubt she'll win a MOTY award because it's unlikely she'll have as many kids. It's like those folks confuse "mothering" for "birthing." 

I suspect that if Jill and Derick were switched (i.e., Jill was driving), Derick might have done just that (i.e., told Jill to slow down). Because he's the headship yo. 

And ITA that Israel is quite good at using his words for a young three-year-old, even while he was distressed.  

• Love 7
57 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

I doubt she'll win a MOTY award because it's unlikely she'll have as many kids. It's like those folks confuse "mothering" for "birthing." 

I suspect that if Jill and Derick were switched (i.e., Jill was driving), Derick might have done just that (i.e., told Jill to slow down). Because he's the headship yo. 

And ITA that Israel is quite good at using his words for a young three-year-old, even while he was distressed.  

I think Derick might have done so because he seems more capable of having an actual conversation with Israel from what little we've seen. Jill, on the other hand, barely seems able to have a conversation with an adult, let alone a child. Clearly Iz doesn't get his diction from his mother.

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

There is such a difference between Jill’s timid, frightened (and ignored) children and Jessa’s  happy grinning little guys.  Both Jill and Jessa were raised by the same mother, but are totally different in their parenting. 

I agree, but I think it goes both ways. I think Spurge gets more affection, but Izzy is light years ahead of him in terms of vocabulary, speech and development. I know he's a little older, but based on all the videos I've seen he comes across as way more advanced. 

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I agree, but I think it goes both ways. I think Spurge gets more affection, but Izzy is light years ahead of him in terms of vocabulary, speech and development. I know he's a little older, but based on all the videos I've seen he comes across as way more advanced. 

We haven't seen Spurge talk much at all, have we? I know hardly anything about child development. Iz is six months older than Spurge. Could it be normal for him to be that far ahead of Spurge in terms of language acquisition?

7 minutes ago, graefin said:

We haven't seen Spurge talk much at all, have we? I know hardly anything about child development. Iz is six months older than Spurge. Could it be normal for him to be that far ahead of Spurge in terms of language acquisition?

I'm honestly not sure, but compared to other kids I've known his age, Spurge comes off as a little behind. At least in terms of speech, anyways.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, graefin said:

Some kids talk early and some don't. I was the gifted, honor roll, in college 2 years early kid and I didn't talk until I was 3. My older daughter, who seems to be following in my 'smart' footsteps was putting together full sentences at her 12 month well child appointment and blowing the Pediatrician away. 

I honestly don't know if we've seen enough of Spurgie to know if he's behind or not. By Kindergarten kids who were previously advances start to even out with their peers, it's the ones who don't even out that are your stand outs in development. 

• Love 6

Oh gosh, such variability in speech.  My brother the PhD didn't talk til he was about 3.  also late to potty train and give up his bottle. This was in the olden days.  Recently niece who just finished first year of college didn't say anything but "dah dah" til she was about 3.  She smiled and nodded a lot. Their pediatrician said if she isn't speaking by 3 they would do testing.  Apparently she was just quiet!!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, graefin said:

I think Izzy's on target. It's true that we haven't seen Spurge talk that much. I don't expect him to be at Izzy's level because of his age, but Spurge should at least be speaking phrases at the age of 2.5 years. Spurge is not expected to be verbally fluent. (Also, at 16 months, Henry should be saying a few words, but not expected to speak in phrases.) It's hard to tell though what Spurge's true communication skills look like. As Jill has upped the posting of her videos, Jessa seems to have waned, so there seems to be fewer Spurge/Henry videos.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

Slowing the boat down actually makes it more susceptible to the waves, current, and wind. 

Not exactly true in my experience.  When a boat like that goes fast it hits waves and wake and jumps, which can be pretty jarring to a little kid, or anyone sensitive.  Plus most boats are pretty open and don't have lots of places to hold.  It can be pretty scary for a first time rider.  You can feel like you're going to fall out, which is why in addition to slowing down, (which they did - I give them that) they should have held him and made him feel secure.  They could have explained in a way he could understand about the waves and slowly get him to enjoy it. Instead, they decided to film his fear and Jill seems to enjoy it.  Not nice and not good parenting.

• Love 15

I think the reason why Iz & Sam always seem stressed, compared to Spurge/Henry is that Jessa has become laid back in her 'old' age. Jill was the perfect daughter and the stress of being perfect can be a lot to bare. She expected this to be easy because that is what she was trained to think---the idea of having a non-easy kid was foreign to her let alone non-easy births. She doesn't strike me as someone who is even willing to pick up a parenting/baby book to learn about milestones because she expects to just be good at it. Jessa, on the other hand, I think read more than a few non-Pearl parenting books and it's showing. She also has a more stable husband, hasn't moved all over in a small time span and is living the Golden life as the front and center of Counting On. 

• Love 23
On 25/06/2018 at 5:43 AM, cmr2014 said:

Jill looks pretty! The dress is cute, appropriate for the season, and appropriate for her age. Way to go Jill!

Derick looks fine, the kids look a little under-dressed to me, but fine.

I much prefer to say children dressed like Izzy and Sam. I feel so sad when I see little kids stuffed into tight pants, shirts and bow ties, they must be so uncomfortable. 

• Love 18

Duggar Family Comes Over

Jun 27, 2018 | Family Blog, Photos | 0 

We always love having our family over any chance we get, but it seems like life is crazy and it doesn’t happen as much as we’d like it to! We recently had a bunch of my (Jill’s) family over for a summer cookout. Here are some pictures and videos from that time.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Who is the girl in the jeans?

I believe that is Laura - the tutor who lives at the compound.  

OMG.  Josie is rubbing her finger on the chocolate bar, then licking said finger and rubbing the chocolate again.  ICK!

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

OMG.  Josie is rubbing her finger on the chocolate bar, then licking said finger and rubbing the chocolate again.  ICK!

It looks like an empty wrapper that she is getting the residue or crumbs out of. I really doubt anyone else will be doing likewise, so no big deal.

Why is Ben sitting away from everyone else?

• Love 6

Derick and his brother give me the creeps. When you zoom in on their picture, you can hear Keith Morrison narrating.

That also looks like the most boring cook out ever known to man.

• Love 24
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

I see that Josie is still up to her unsanitary licking. Isn't she 8 years old? She should be way past that.

Unofficially, of course, she likely has Sensory Processing Disorder and this is a sensory quirk that the Duggars have ignored and not gotten her the help to overcome. Without intervention, she's not outgrowing it anytime soon. 

My 8 year old has SPD, along with ASD and OCD, and her think was smelling people's arm pits. We have thankfully broken that habit, but sensory kids can do some 'weird' things by neurotypical standards. 

• Love 13
8 minutes ago, charmed1 said:

Derick and his brother give me the creeps. When you zoom in on their picture, you can hear Keith Morrison narrating.

That also looks like the most boring cook out ever known to man.

OMG!  I love Keith Morrison and can TOTALLY see him narrating the scene in the backyard. 

It was a hot boring night in Arkansas.  Where does he go from there other than the obvious garden that Jill admitted was dying?  

• Love 18

How is it that three-year-old Israel showed more maturity than eight-year-old Josie?

And in one of the videos, there is an Emily. She looks to be about the same age or somewhat older than Jordyn. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Duggar Family Comes Over

Jun 27, 2018 | Family Blog, Photos | 0 

We always love having our family over any chance we get, but it seems like life is crazy and it doesn’t happen as much as we’d like it to! We recently had a bunch of my (Jill’s) family over for a summer cookout. Here are some pictures and videos from that time.

That's the most boring party I've ever seen.  Why would anyone want to sit around a campfire in the hot sun when it is 100 degrees outside in humid Arkansas?  Jill should have been too embarrassed to post that.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, Mollie said:

That's the most boring party I've ever seen.  Why would anyone want to sit around a campfire in the hot sun when it is 100 degrees outside in humid Arkansas?  Jill should have been too embarrassed to post that.

I won't even make myself sit through that video for Izzy and Sammy cuteness, so I can't swear to it, but; I bet all the fundie parties are that boring; thus they don't know the difference.

• Love 10

The True Disciple: Acknowledging Jesus Christ in a world that does not

Jun 26, 2018 | Life Matters | 5 

What does it mean for Christians to live out their faith in the public square, and how should we go about doing this as believers?  There is no doubt, you’re bound to get a host of very different answers to this question, but I want to look at a couple passages of Scripture to shed some light on what we know to be foundational.  As Christians, we should always live in such a way that others do not question whether we are believers.  And, when our Christian life conflicts with man’s wisdom and the way of the world, we are still called to follow Christ, unashamedly.

First of all, Scripture is quite clear that we are called to be a holy people, set apart for God himself.  Peter cites and doubles down on Leviticus 11:44 when he contrasts our lives before and after we knew the truth of the Gospel.  God commands us in Scripture, “….As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, ‘You shall be holy, for I am holy.’” (1 Peter 1:14-16).  In light of the new covenant, there are many things that have changed.  For example, some of us recently indulged in some tasty bacon that Lifeway offered at their annual breakfast for the Southern Baptist Convention.  However, God never contradicts himself, and there are certain principles that remain true, though they are manifested differently.  The point of the Levitical law was the separation of God’s people to himself.  By allowing Scripture to interpret Scripture, we always get a fuller understanding of God’s word.  Peter’s reference to the law tells us that there is a distinction between God’s people and the world.  If we are living according to our calling, and because God’s ways are inherently different from the world, it should always be obvious who is a child of God and who is not.  In the words of Jesus, “…‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours.” (John 15:20).  

In the same vein of our God-given call to holiness, we are also given perspective on where our loyalties should lie in Matthew 10:32-33, as Jesus proclaims “…everyone who will acknowledge me before others, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. But whoever denies me before others, I will also deny him before my Father in heaven.”  Sometimes we’re willing to confess Christ as our Lord, but find it more difficult to affirm and be vocal about the truth of Scripture when it’s less popular.  Many times, from the pulpit, pastors have exhorted and even warned us against compartmentalizing our faith.  Scripture exhorts us to do all to the glory of God, regardless of the context, whether at church, home, work, or elsewhere (1 Cor. 10:31).  

It is becoming more common in our generation to see people compartmentalizing Scripture, as Thomas Jefferson did, to suit their own minds and interests, rather than seeking to know the whole of what God really says to us in His word, the Bible.  This has become all too common of a problem, and it ties directly back to who we really believe to be preeminent in our lives – Jesus or the world’s wisdom?  Who is our final authority?  As Christians, we will ultimately have to answer to Jesus Christ, and him alone.  

Not acknowledging the truth of Scripture not only has eternal consequences, but also affects our freedom to acknowledge that same truth.  Ironic, isn’t it?  We may not deny Christ explicitly, but are we denying Christ by the way we live?  Or, do we deny Christ by what we selectively stand for, versus what we choose to remain silent about?  Truth, reason, and justice are not excused from acknowledgement, simply because they may not be popular in a culture.  We are without excuse.  Passivity is not a justification – “So it is sin to know the good and yet not do it.” (James 4:17).  If we do not fight for truth, it will become irrelevant, and one day we may wake up without any basis for the freedoms or voice we once had for God’s glory and the good of other people.  The Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission (ERLC) rightly recognized that “We must be the people that stand and speak for religious liberty for all because a government powerful enough to deny religious liberty to groups they don’t like will eventually decide they don’t like you either.”

God has given each of us unique gifts, voices, platforms, and influence to be effective agents of light in a world that is ruled by darkness.  Let us remember, and practice daily the words of 1 Peter 3:15, which calls us to always be “…prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect…”. When we interact with people who we do not agree with, it is imperative that we act with utmost gentleness and respect towards them.  We need to display the genuine love of Christ before everyone.  People are not our enemy; the darkness and sin of this world is.  However, this call to respect and gentleness is not opposed to our responsibility to be a voice for truth, justice, and common sense in society.  You can fight for the pro-life cause and still love the unwed mother.  You can love your homosexual friend while still supporting the sanctity of traditional marriage.  Disagreement doesn’t equal hate.  May we be good stewards of what’s been entrusted to us and stand for truth, pointing others toward the author of life and everything that is good, the one true God, Jesus Christ.  

by Derick Dillard

(edited)

This video I posted has made its way to their blog as a recipe........

Cut Ice Cream!

Jun 28, 2018 | Recipes | 0 

So, I guess this is more of a tip than a recipe, but I thought it fit under this category best. My mom (Michelle Duggar) would always buy a whole flat of those little blocks of ice cream from Aldi (anyone else know what Aldi is?) and she would cut them using a butcher knife. Yes, you heard me right! lol I guess it was easier than scooping out a ton of ice cream from the little cardboard containers that could easily be folded flat and cut, plus it made it easier to evenly divide for all the kiddos and made for a pretty quick process! I remember one other large family in particular that we always seemed to have the same dinner with when they’d come over: Eureka pizza (anyone local know that name?) and root beer floats! #memories #somuchfun When we had my siblings over recently, I was reminded of the ice cream cutting and had to post!

Another video from Jill:

0CC5EF5B-5AE8-4465-BEC4-8E35109CAB82.png

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 1