Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Yes, poor Jill may not have water at times. They have it a lot better than a lot of people they are supposedly trying to help. I would love to see them really roughing it, and no, I do not mean the way the older kids were roughing it in the episode last week.

2 hours ago, Missy Vixen said:

One has to wonder if they know about the current recommendation of waiting at least six months to get pregnant after returning from Danger America. One also has to wonder if they will bother getting tested for the disease.

Remember it's the  Duggars and our proof that nothing bad ever happens to them.

Slightly off topic, but you can buy special window foil that you put on outside the window to stop the sun from getting in.  I use them for my top-storey flat and it makes a huge difference. Plus, getting proper sun shades fitted outside would be an option. I also use special blinds inside, but once the sun comes through the window, a lot of heat is already inside your place.

Apparently, damp towels will cool the place down, although I never quite agreed to that.

Can't they stock up on water? How difficult can that be? But I forgot, Jilly Muffin doesn't do planning...

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MunichNark said:

Slightly off topic, but you can buy special window foil that you put on outside the window to stop the sun from getting in.  I use them for my top-storey flat and it makes a huge difference. Plus, getting proper sun shades fitted outside would be an option. I also use special blinds inside, but once the sun comes through the window, a lot of heat is already inside your place.

Apparently, damp towels will cool the place down, although I never quite agreed to that.

Can't they stock up on water? How difficult can that be? But I forgot, Jilly Muffin doesn't do planning...

Window tint? 

I work with a couple women of child bearing age. I guess Zika testing is quite expensive. Their OBs said they can only test women who are already pregnant that have recently traveled to Zika-likely places. If one has traveled and wants to get pregnant they say wait, and will not test women who are trying to get pregnant, even if they have been in areas where Zika is.

The news keeps reporting all the changes in risk; from Zika only effects woman who have been bitten, to wait 3 months if either partner has had symptoms, to wait 6 months for anyone who has traveled to Zika infected areas, even without symptoms. Some scary shit.

I wonder if Jessa will/has been tested? No matter how wonky the timeline is shown on TV, the Seewalds visited Jill sometime within the 6 month danger period of Jessa becoming pregnant. If Jessa got pregnant in June, 6 months prior to that is December. Spurgie was definitely older than one month when they visited Jill. If I remember correctly he looked more like 4 or 5 months old.

Edited by GeeGolly
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I wonder if Jessa will/has been tested? No matter how wonky the timeline is shown on TV, the Seewalds visited Jill sometime within the 6 month danger period of Jessa becoming pregnant. If Jessa got pregnant in June, 6 months prior to that is December. Spurgie was definitely older that one month when they visited Jill. If I remember correctly he looked more like 4 or 5 months old.

I'm an OB/GYN and we ask every pregnant woman about her travels in the past 6 mos as well as warn against travel to areas with Zika during pregnancy. In my practice, Jesse would've been offered testing and also serial ultrasounds since she is remote from the exposure. Just last week, I had a pregnant patient ask me about her husband's plan to travel to Miami for a bachelor party.  When I told her the CDC recommends either abstinence or condoms for 6 months afterwards, she shut that down straightaway.  The CDC website is very user-friendly and has good guidelines for people to follow.

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/fs-posters/index.html

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I'm an OB/GYN and we ask every pregnant woman about her travels in the past 6 mos as well as warn against travel to areas with Zika during pregnancy. In my practice, Jesse would've been offered testing and also serial ultrasounds since she is remote from the exposure. Just last week, I had a pregnant patient ask me about her husband's plan to travel to Miami for a bachelor party.  When I told her the CDC recommends either abstinence or condoms for 6 months afterwards, she shut that down straightaway.  The CDC website is very user-friendly and has good guidelines for people to follow.

What I am wondering is if Jessa & company will seek medical advice during her/their pregnancies.  

• Love 2

I am a nurse and the director of infection control at a very small hospital in Florida. We have no confirmed locally acquired Zika in our area, but do have some travel related Zika in the next county (the patients are not pregnant). We have been notified by the CDC that any pregnant woman can get the Zika test for free through the Health Department regardless of her travel or exposure risk. 

I do not know if this is true for other states, but I would think that anyone who has increased risk due to travel would be eligible for the Zika test.

OR maybe use some of your TLC money to pay for it yourself. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Thanks for the information. Also don't forget that Jill described having potential Zika symptoms in one of her grift letters - but she attributed them to adjusting to the new climate. It's an easy virus to overlook, especially of all you care about is breeding.

• Love 1

I have a feeling that Jessa and Jill don't worry about Zika at all.  They figure if God decides to get them pregnant than that's what he wants.  Look at Michelle willing to get pregnant again after 19 kids.  I mean they just think that they have to leave everything up to God's will.   They may try to prevent getting  Zika in the first place by using insect repellent but after that - it's in God's hands.  If one of their babies is born affected by Zika well that was God's will too in their minds.  

• Love 4
23 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Well, yes. :)

Bringing over from the episode thread. They talked about water going out for who knows how long, etc. I wonder what the longest stretch was that they have gone without water and/or wifi. I don't see them as mutually exclusive all the time. They also haven't mentioned power, so I assume that's not an issue.

For anyone who has experience living in the area (or one like it), how is garbage handled? I wonder because they have to have a supply of disposable diapers for Izzy in anticipation of known outages. I seriously doubt they can put their bin at the curb to be picked up weekly like we do in the States. 

I was surprised they had disposable diapers on hand for emergencies. I assumed they only used disposable so major points from me for laundering.

And they mentioned a cistern but I have no idea what kind of catchment system they have in place. We have a normal metal roof and could collect water just from overnight high humidity (Florida) and a steeply pitched roof can work a treat.

I assumed they had towels etc. up 'cuz they were too lazy to buy and staple up some curtains. Black-outs aren't all that expensive and the film @MunichNark mentioned is a great idea. Never heard of damp towels having a cooling influence unless applied directly to the body. 

I guess it wasn't this thread but someone mentioned solar showers which work great but can get scorching hot.

Zika, God? Jesus? Prayer? I wouldn't doubt that both "Zika-girls" are already pregnant 'cuz ^^^^^^^ they think they got that covered.

These people wear me out.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Defrauder said:

I have a feeling that Jessa and Jill don't worry about Zika at all.  They figure if God decides to get them pregnant than that's what he wants.  Look at Michelle willing to get pregnant again after 19 kids.  I mean they just think that they have to leave everything up to God's will.   They may try to prevent getting  Zika in the first place by using insect repellent but after that - it's in God's hands.  If one of their babies is born affected by Zika well that was God's will too in their minds.  

I generally agree that this is the party line with them.  However, Jill is worldly enough to know that giving birth to a child with special needs at this point might  mess up her plans to have a litter.  She was around when Precious Blessing Josie was born; she undoubtedly is aware of how hard it is to care for a sick kid; she's surely witnessed her sister's seizures and trips to the hospital.  And she knows how many sisters it took to care for Josie and the rest of the brood during that time.  If she has a special needs child now, she won't have a passel of older daughters to shoulder the burden; she'll have Israel, a boy, a prince, not a caregiver.  While she might not be able to totally prevent having a Zika affected child, she is going to do her darnedest to get them the he** out of Central America to decrease their risk. 

She also knows how much their finances depend on continued filming.  A microcephalic child is not going to be photogenic and might also cause some of the fringe fans to start to question the motives of this clan that they'd so willingly expose their child to this danger.  It also can be predicted well before delivery, unlike the circumstances surrounding Josie's birth (although I do believe Michelle had high blood pressure probably prior to the pregnancy which, along with her age put her at risk).  There won't be a way to tie this up in a pretty bow like they've tried to do with Josie if they stay in Central America and end up with a Zika affected child.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 6

Conversely, could you imagine what would be said if they DID have a baby in Danger America and he/she was perfectly fine?  Instead of extolling their luck, and being relieved and thankful, it would be a whole lot of chest puffing and boasting about how prayer beat Zika.  

• Love 9
26 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

Conversely, could you imagine what would be said if they DID have a baby in Danger America and he/she was perfectly fine?  Instead of extolling their luck, and being relieved and thankful, it would be a whole lot of chest puffing and boasting about how prayer beat Zika.  

Yeah, but what if the kid is affected?  They can cover for Josie's possible neurologic deficits, they kept her seizure disorder quiet for years.  If they have a microcephalic child, they won't be able to gloss over it.  Aside from the fact that the kids have obvious physical signs, it appears that many, if not most, have significant developmental disabilities.  They can't risk that.

Of course, but I think they will try to play that card even if they stay in the US and don't conceive until they are out of the window of risk.  They'll stack the deck and then crow about how God loves them best.  For that matter, I can see them claiming that they prayed and prayed on it and Jesus told them it was ok to return to the US to make another blessing and brag on how they are just following God's will.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 4

I don't give Jill the same credit in regard to forethought and the full understanding of caring for a child with special needs, or even having timely knowledge of Zika. Michelle did get pregnant after Josie. And Jessa is already pregnant and for all we know Jill might be too. Neither would consider terminating a pregnancy.

I just don't think Jill & Jessa and their husbands have developed beyond the not me stage. And I also believe most of their knowledge beyond NW Arkansas includes only information they read about themselves. I would hazard to guess Jessa read about Zika on here and then informed Jill. Or maybe Derick's mom told them, but she appears to be fairly naive herself.

• Love 4

I just hope Jessa's baby will be fine and that if Jill gets pregnant that hers will be fine too. Both Jeremy and Jinger were in CA as well. Those microcephalic babies are heartbreaking to look at. 

I'm praying that the impact on women in affected areas will be minimized. 

• Love 9

His dad was a nice looking man.  I really had high hopes for Derick since he got to have a normal life--that he'd introduce Muffy to a normal life experience.He got to play in sports and go to a good public university. Even if he was a shy young man, Duggar courtship rules must have been culture shock for him.

• Love 8
53 minutes ago, awaken said:

The show NEEDS to be renamed this!!  TLC, are you reading?

Of course TLC isn't paying attention. If they even took half our suggestions to heart, the train wreck that is the Duggar Family would be ratings gold!!!????? ??. But instead it's ?

• Love 6
On 5/9/2016 at 4:06 PM, lulu69 said:

Derick is not bad looking here either. How he went from normal looking college kid to total duggar dork is beyond me.

That's why his man bun is actually such a big deal. He has kept it in the face of what is probably an immense amount of pressure from JB to redorkify. Sign of a spine, perhaps?

• Love 12
2 hours ago, louannems said:

The original Duggar kids never got to wear shorts.  I think Ben and Derick have at least helped make that small concession possible.

But it seems the same old double standard applies since it looks like Meredith is wearing a dress; not the best thing to wear when crawling through tunnels.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Those Duggar genes are hella strong!!  

Cute pic of the Littles, but these wonky on an angle photos that Muffy thinks are so avant garde make me stabby! 

Bold mine.

Until I looked at the background it looked like the kiddies were rolling that "tunnel" down a hill. Maybe she was going for that? Or I've had one beer too many. Both?

And the Dug-genes... Once you see JB you can't unsee him. Poor kids. Otherwise a cute and happy scene.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, NewDigs said:

Bold mine.

Until I looked at the background it looked like the kiddies were rolling that "tunnel" down a hill. Maybe she was going for that? Or I've had one beer too many. Both?

And the Dug-genes... Once you see JB you can't unsee him. Poor kids. Otherwise a cute and happy scene.

Photos taken on an angle can be interesting. I wouldn't have snarked if the sky was cropped out.  I think if JB wasn't such a creep, the kids would just be super cute all day long. Smuggar's kids are also adorable, as long as we try to forget they're his.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Clemgo3165 said:

She's probably wearing shorts or little yoga type pants under her dress. Most of the little girls have.

That may be, but she is also wearing a dress.  Ever watch a little girl try to crawl in a dress?  The skirt gets caught under their knees, causing them to fall and/or the skirt ends up torn.  It's not enough to put shorts or pants under it, it's the skirt itself that causes the problem.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, NewDigs said:

Aaaaaand...it appears that Jackson is running into photobombing position. Has there ever been a Dugg pic without him in it?  ((I think it's Jackson anyway, maybe there's a new photobomber in training ????))

Derick (in above pic) looks like he was normal in college and is a dead ringer for his dad. Shorts-and-character-T-shirt wearing Izzy is cute...hope he doesn't dorkify too quickly.

11 minutes ago, drafan said:

Aaaaaand...it appears that Jackson is running into photobombing position. Has there ever been a Dugg pic without him in it? ((I think it's Jackson anyway, maybe there's a new photobomber in training ????))

Derick (in above pic) looks like he was normal in college and is a dead ringer for his dad. Shorts-and-character-T-shirt wearing Izzy is cute...hope he doesn't dorkify too quickly.

Bold mine.

Ya' gotta start 'em young.

He's pretty darn cute.

55 minutes ago, cdp73 said:

Damn...Izzy is HUGE

Even considering the  perspective of the picture, consider the fact that he's only 3 MONTHS older than Mere. He truly is a Giant White Baby. Yes, boys are bigger than girls, but not THAT much bigger. None of Smuggar's kids have been small; they've all looked pretty much average when compared to other kids their age. Both Michael and Marcus appear to fit in with agemates. Jordyn and Mack are about a year apart in age, but pretty similar in height. Duggar girls are pretty average in height (most in the 5'4" - 5'6" range...Anna and Smuggar are both taller than Boob/Mullet, so Mack being on par with Jordyn makes sense.  It's unfair to compare Mack to Josie, who are agemates, since Josie is sooo small. As the runt of my classes, I get how it feels to be the Tiniest One, aside from being carried around at almost 7 years old. I was a very headstrong child and NEVER would have allowed that!! LOL

2 hours ago, drafan said:

Aaaaaand...it appears that Jackson is running into photobombing position. Has there ever been a Dugg pic without him in it?  ((I think it's Jackson anyway, maybe there's a new photobomber in training ????))

I wonder if it is just Jackson's desire to be noticed as an individual. Middle kids often have challenges in that regard even in a typical family. What if you were one of 12 or so middle kids? 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Malvina said:

From Pickles14232456_995285147236961_309848874966761

14291911_995284333903709_266058081595983

oMG is that the official sticky chair skit? Or is Derick warming up for another interpretive dance? Muffy's apron does her no favors as well as the unfortunate composition of that photo has the leaf pattern on the chair squarely on that gentleman's crotch...(trudges off to prayer closet)...

• Love 7