Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Of course she wouldn't want a photo with Josh. But instagraming photos of Izzy with almost all of the other older sibs seems like a very pointed -- and calculated -- statement by Jill. And good on her.

• Love 2

I have never eaten in the bathroom, but I do remember when my kids suddenly noticed--and wanted--everything I was eating, even if it wasn't appropriate for their age or even if I didn't want them to have a snack, because then they wouldn't eat their dinner. If I grabbed a cracker or something, they wanted one, too. If I didn't want my kids to have a cracker at that time, I couldn't have one either.

Jill as an adult in that house--maybe she wanted to get Thai food or something just for herself or even scramble an egg just for herself without having to make enough for everyone or have a bunch of kids wanting whatever she's having. For instance, maybe she might want to make something spicy that that little kids wouldn't like, but they'd still see her eating it and want that or something else. Or hang around asking her about it. Or maybe she didn't want to be filmed every time she grabbed a snack or something. (I know the film crew isn't always there, but when it is, that could be a consideration.)

That said, eating in a bathroom seems really icky to me.

• Love 2

I have never eaten in the bathroom, but I do remember when my kids suddenly noticed--and wanted--everything I was eating, even if it wasn't appropriate for their age or even if I didn't want them to have a snack, because then they wouldn't eat their dinner. If I grabbed a cracker or something, they wanted one, too. If I didn't want my kids to have a cracker at that time, I couldn't have one either.

Jill as an adult in that house--maybe she wanted to get Thai food or something just for herself or even scramble an egg just for herself without having to make enough for everyone or have a bunch of kids wanting whatever she's having. For instance, maybe she might want to make something spicy that that little kids wouldn't like, but they'd still see her eating it and want that or something else. Or hang around asking her about it. Or maybe she didn't want to be filmed every time she grabbed a snack or something. (I know the film crew isn't always there, but when it is, that could be a consideration.)

That said, eating in a bathroom seems really icky to me.

but think about this: how often in her life has Jill, or any other girl in that family, been alone in a room without a toilet in in it?

• Love 10

Why wouldn't she? Heck, she dug into the Nepalese food when she was there and has learned to cook it herself - or at least with Jana's help - she even ate it with her fingers. Not sure why she wouldn't be open to trying Thai. 

• Love 2

Wait - Jill really ate in the bathroom? Did she do this at the TTH, too? Or just her home with Derrik?

No, I'm sure this was all pre-Derrik, and I'm very sure she wouldn't have wanted it mentioned on camera, but Derrik blurted it out. I think it was probably about getting five minutes alone, and/or keeping the younger kids out of her food. But still, it does not speak well of the household, you know?

• Love 5

That's what it means to me too. Her approach is definitely atypical of the Duggars, but she truly does seem to be more open to exploring other cultures. She'd need to be if mission work is what she's focused on. 

And growing up with Tater Tot Casserole as gourmet food doesn't necessarily translate to a limited palate as an adult. The most exotic food I had growing up was Chinese food on my Dad's business trips to NYC. It's what was available at the time. But I've tried it all now - am always willing to try new things - even if I didn't grow up with them.

• Love 3
(edited)

I wonder if this was part of the spinoff and Nepal was to have a film crew in tow. Maybe TLC money would have made the trip a little more comfortable?

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 1

Well, hopefully Derick will be able to expand Jill's view of thinkig somewhat. She can't live in a fish bowl if she wants to do missionary work.  Izzy sure is a cute baby.

I wonder if this was part of the spinoff and Nepal was to have a film crew in tow. Maybe TLC money would have made the trip a little more comfortable?

That's my guess. I doubt they would have been doing it otherwise, actually. I thought this probably tied in with something I read about how they'd been "working on storylines" for the continuation of the show. .... And this would sure be a storyline. Otherwise, it's not clear they would have one.

• Love 2

Izz is one cute baby. ALL babies are cute. But it breaks my heart to look into that utterly trusting, innocent little face knowing what is likely ahead for this little pudder [our family's word for baby - rhymes with "gooder']. Watching his mother, aunts and uncles being subjected to such a narrow, fear-filled perspective of the world was bad enough. No Dillard spinoff, TLC. 

Not all babies are cute but, I agree, Izzy is now.

(edited)

Wait - Jill really ate in the bathroom? Did she do this at the TTH, too? Or just her home with Derrik?

Jill did a TH with Derick where she talked about her childhood and mentioned having to lock herself into the bathroom so her siblings wouldn't take her food. Her comments stood out to many of us because they a) inferred there wasn't enough food to go around and b) contradicted Michelle and Boob's spiel that having kid after kid was okay because they were able to provide for them.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 7

Having grown up in a tater tot casserole type of world myself (tater tots were fancy - we would have peeled actual potatoes) I can attest that Jill might really enjoy new food now. I never ate even American Chinese (let alone the really interesting food you can find in China) until I was in college. My four year old daughter's favorite cuisine is Afghani. Obviously, I've branched out a bit.

But I bet Jill did hide food. Remember the bag of candy she rec'd on a birthday? How many times did she have to share? No bag of candy would last long with the howlers. I bet all of the girls hid things somewhere. Boys don't clean the girls' bathroom....

• Love 3

People are really scornful of the soup can/jello recipe culture, but in a world of three meals from scratch a day without the food choices that we take for granted today, those were liberating for women 50 years ago. I still make some of the recipes because I like them.

• Love 15
(edited)

People are really scornful of the soup can/jello recipe culture, but in a world of three meals from scratch a day without the food choices that we take for granted today, those were liberating for women 50 years ago. I still make some of the recipes because I like them.

Me too. I was the dinner at 6 with meat, starch, veggie, and fruit 7 days a week (well, 1 on Sunday). Perhaps it was a generational thing but most of my peers were professional women like me. There was something to be said for the consistency -- but you had to plan for it. It wouldn't be Jill's worst parenting habit. 

Edited by mbutterfly

Looks like Derrick is getting his family the heck out of dodge. If he were as on the Duggar Kool-aid as some of us were thinking, wouldn't it make more sense that he would stick closer to home, hunker down, and fight the good fight against the evils that are attacking his faith and family with Jim Bob? 

Assuming this is true -

The only rational explanation for his quitting would be his being unavailable for an extended period of time - such as taking a trip to Nepal. And I have to believe that TLC has to help finance the trip. I put my money on a spin-off show.

• Love 1

Folks - I've hidden the screenshot of the alleged auto-reply saying Derick had left Wal-Mart, because it contains contact info on a number of people, including non-Duggars, and it's not from an official news source, so we don't know if it's legit. It could be photoshopped, and even if it's not, I don't think we want that kind of specific contact info on the site any more than we want Josh's address up here.

I googled it and there's nothing on this yet, but if it's legit, a news organization will pick it up fast, so we'll wait for that. You're free to speculate on the rumor, of course.

• Love 5
(edited)

I just hope this doesn't mean they've gone totally bunker mentality, and Derick is going to work as JB's tax shelter guru. 

eta: I saw the post in question. :)

Edited by Sew Sumi

Jill could've made more from the fox interview than Derick makes in a year.

Maybe this is the family's new financial plan. Reveal a scandal, freak out about persecution, sell interviews to the highest bidder. Lather, rinse, repeat.

And Derick gets to retire early!

• Love 5

Derick may also be making himself available for this spinoff, since he was still employed about a month ago, and the spinoff had been talked about even before all this stuff happened. Jill said she called Derick at work when the scandal broke, so this is a VERY recent thing. We don't know how much lead time there was between the Duggars getting notice of the police report request and their release on the 19th, but if he's not at work today, he'd already given notice by the 19th. It's likely his last day was this past Friday. 

And it's true. I tried sending an email, and I got the robomessage. 

• Love 4

Eating in the bathroom doesn't mean they couldn't feed all their kids, just means there were a lot of kids aroudn the dinner table.  There were only 3 kids around our table and it was a rush to get your share before someone else scarfed everything else down.

• Love 1

It just occurred to me that they can't be doing a mission to any 3rd world country. What about Derick's orthodontia? I mean, damn, dude just had major jaw surgery barely a month ago. 

He's gotta be going to work for JB. Jill has made it no secret that's what she wants. 

• Love 3

I just hope this doesn't mean they've gone totally bunker mentality, and Derick is going to work as JB's tax shelter guru. 

That was my thought too.    TTB ? (bunker)

• Love 1

It just occurred to me that they can't be doing a mission to any 3rd world country. What about Derick's orthodontia? I mean, damn, dude just had major jaw surgery barely a month ago. 

He's gotta be going to work for JB. Jill has made it no secret that's what she wants. 

I've seen people with similar dental work go on long trips. You can get care outside of the US, especially if the mission trip people arrange it.

I'm sure Jill loves this. You'd think they'd want to hang onto health insurance, given how much they just used it. She'll be announcing a pregnancy by the fourth of July.

• Love 2

They can afford to fly back to the US for his routine visits. If the trips coincide with press junkets and meetings for the new series, then TLC most likely foots the bill for the travel.

Will they allow him to fly back once a month to get his braces adjusted??? REALLY????

Also, I don't see orthodontia being on the radar at all in Kathmandu right now. The city is pretty much in ruins from what I've heard from people who were there when the earthquakes struck (one person is home now, much to the relief of her mother). :)

• Love 2

I saw the post, too.

I don't think this is a great development, IMHO. If derickdillard has gone to work for his father-in-law, he's lost his mind. And Nepal with an unimmunized infant. Really?

• Love 2

The transformation from Dillard to Duggar is now complete. Assimilation into the cult didn't take Derek long at all. Say bye bye to your balls, Derek. If you need to find them; they'll be stored inside the pickle jar next to Michelle's perm-mullet head piece.

• Love 8

Well, if all this really was in the works, I guess I can see why TLC would be reluctant to cancel things -- they had a big big plan going forward. And maybe they figure that putting a couple of oceans between the Dills and the rest of the Duggs will take care of the how-can-we-watch-and/or-sponsor-this-horribly-dysfunctional-family problem?

I don't know, though. I remain skeptical.

And if this is their plan, what happens with Jessa and Ben? And did TLC really conclude that the girls' interviews will solidify an audience and sponsorship going forward? .... Or maybe just for a special or two, I suppose ....

It's all kinda baffling.

• Love 2
(edited)

The email said they he has recently accepted a position outside of Walmart.  IIRC, Cathy worked for a company that provided consultation and representation to the Walmart and Sam's Club markets and everyone in that company at one time worked at Walmart or Sam's Club.  There is a slight possibility that Derick may be working there if that is the position outside of Walmart he accepted.  Ugh, at this point I hope it's not with Boob.

Edited by abseedee
  • Love 5

Assuming this is true -

The only rational explanation for his quitting would be his being unavailable for an extended period of time - such as taking a trip to Nepal. And I have to believe that TLC has to help finance the trip. I put my money on a spin-off show.

If it is true, I hope that he has chosen to leave to go to Nepal rather than "taking a job" with JB, and that he wasn't "asked to resign." If his last day was Friday, June 5, he would have given notice May 22, the day after the scandal broke.

I can also see him going in and asking for more time off because of the chaos in the TTH and his managers saying no. I know there are people on this board who don't think he has taken an unusual amount of time off -- I think that he has taken a LOT of time off for a low-level new hire. I'm sure he's been cut a lot of slack because his mother was a long-time employee, and this has been a really hectic year for him, but I don't think there's any more slack.

Personally, I think a couple of years in Nepal is the best thing that could happen to that family. I'm not on board with the whole "no big deal to take a baby to Nepal team," but the alternative for them is so much worse. IMO Jill is having a difficult time with the whole concept of "leave and cleave" and would really benefit from having something meaningful to do with her time other than pop out more babies. In Nepal, Derick would have the opportunity to grow into his role as husband and father; if they stay, he's just Duggar boy #20, and that's it.

• Love 13

If it is true, I hope that he has chosen to leave to go to Nepal rather than "taking a job" with JB, and that he wasn't "asked to resign." If his last day was Friday, June 5, he would have given notice May 22, the day after the scandal broke.

Maybe... my husband and I have both worked at places where they asked for notice but it was pretty well understood that as soon as you gave notice, you were done. They didn't want you there and wanted your badge, computer, etc. My only experience with Walmart is a friend who worked in one of their tech departments for awhile, and similarly she was asked to leave there the day she gave notice.  I've always assumed it allowed people less time to take any clients, trade secrets, etc. from the companies but I don't really know.

I agree, I hope they're going to Nepal or some other mission trip. It seems like it'd be good for all of them, and wayyyy preferable to thinking of Derick working for JB.

• Love 4

You are right, my choice of terms was wrong. I was trying to come up with a short-cut to this:

D: There's a crisis at home and I need more time off

Boss: We're really busy right now, and I can't spare you. You've taken all of your PTO and then some as well as Family leave. It's just not fair to everyone else that you are gone so much.

D: It's kind of a big deal and my wife is really upset. She really needs me to be at home right now.

Boss: I'm sorry Derick. I know what a stressful year you've had, but I just can't authorize another open-ended leave.

D: Then I guess I will have to quit.

Not that he was "asked to resign" like Josh, but that he was told, "this is your job, if you want to keep it, come to work."

Anyway, I hope that I'm wrong, and I hope that there is something (other than "working" for JB) in the works.

• Love 4

Eating in the bathroom doesn't mean they couldn't feed all their kids, just means there were a lot of kids aroudn the dinner table.  There were only 3 kids around our table and it was a rush to get your share before someone else scarfed everything else down.

If you have to rush to get your share before others eat everything, I would say that means there's not enough food.

• Love 20

This young couple has been through SO many nightmares, highs, lows... LIFE events in one year. It's almost painful to think about, really. And to think how little they really KNEW each other when they got married makes it that much worse. I can't even help it, all snark aside, I really, seriously feel for them.

Back to snark after a brief break: I think Izzy IS cute, in that way that all babies are adorable when they first learn to plop their mouth open and S.M.I.L.E.... but he's got a big honking nose!!!

• Love 6

I'm thinking of the stress scale where major life events are assigned points and Jill and Derick really don't need to add another major change to their stress level.  I can't imagine how they are keeping up.

• Love 8