Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Derek is hideously unattractive. Hair, beard, face, everything.

Harsher than I would've put it, but you're correct. I don't know why Derrick and Jill can't get it together. Derrick's style definitely took a hit after college. They have their own money. If I were nationally televised and regularly on the covers of magazines I'd hire a damned stylist. Honestly, it's not that expensive, and they'd still look modest, and much better.

And Jill can burn the Jill headband now. Call it a sacrifice in thanks of Izzy.

• Love 1
(edited)

Derek is hideously unattractive. Hair, beard, face, everything. I don't think Jill looks good at all in those pics posted above. Why are her clothes so huge? A big billowy flowing skirt paired with an equally tent-like top? She looks ridiculous. Are clothes that actually fit not modest? They are both gross.

I can't figure out for the life of me if that's one dress or a short dress with a longer skirt underneath for modesty? I think it looks great from her hips up.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 1

Derek is hideously unattractive. Hair, beard, face, everything. I don't think Jill looks good at all in those pics posted above. Why are her clothes so huge? A big billowy flowing skirt paired with an equally tent-like top? She looks ridiculous. Are clothes that actually fit not modest? They are both gross.

I'd imagine her clothes are big because she's still actively recovering from Izzy's birth - nothing too tight, nothing that might irritate the healing of the C-section incision, and nothing that emphasizes the post-baby weight that she's still trying to lose.

I think it's pretty harsh to label Derek as "hideously unattractive." Hideous? Really? He's certainly not hot like Ben, but he's very sweet to Jill and thus far seems to be a good father to Iz. I'll take average, educated, and employed.

• Love 8
(edited)

Or, and maybe more likely, someone else figures out how he/she can make big $$$ with it.

JenCarroll - is there a difference between a Star of David and a Jewish Star? Just asking - I'm not familiar with the Jewish star. Thanks!

No, it's the same thing, also called a Mogen David. Two interlocking triangles. It's a historically Jewish symbol but not one of great import, just a kind of general marker. Like if it's on a building, that building is probably a synagogue, Jewish Center or Jewish school. When I wear one, it's kind of a tribal marker, "I'm Jewish (and proud of it)." And of course it appears on the Israeli flag, for pretty much the same reason -- it's an identifiably Jewish symbol.

The fundies have started wearing them in support of the State of Israel. I assume that's why Jill wore one. However, since their support for Israel stems from a need to have all the Jews in place there as fodder for the Anti-Christ in their End of Time scenario -- we're not necessarily that grateful for it. (And it should be noted, many Jews vehemently disagree with Israel's current actions.)

Obviously, Jill can wear any symbol she wants. And I can grumble about it. :-)

Edited by JenCarroll
  • Love 12

. She took the time to curl her hair and do her makeup. Why can't she see how horrible she looks from the neck on down???

Because a woman is supposed to have a beautiful countenance.  The rest doesn't matter.  As a married woman she should be especially careful not to attract the attention of men who are not her husband by wearing defrauding clothing.

I'd say she just doesn't care (that's why I wear sloppy clothes. I'd be skewered if I was a public figure) but I really don't know if she cares or not.  I don't know if the makeup is vanity or Gothard...

• Love 1

No, it's the same thing, also called a Mogen David. Two interlocking triangles. It's a historically Jewish symbol but not one of great import, just a kind of general marker. Like if it's on a building, that building is probably a synagogue, Jewish Center or Jewish school. When I wear one, it's kind of a tribal marker, "I'm Jewish (and proud of it)." And of course it appears on the Israeli flag, for pretty much the same reason -- it's an identifiably Jewish symbol.

The fundies have started wearing them in support of the State of Israel. I assume that's why Jill wore one. However, since their support for Israel stems from a need to have all the Jews in place there as fodder for the Anti-Christ in their End of Time scenario -- we're not necessarily that grateful for it. (And it should be noted, many Jews vehemently disagree with Israel's current actions.)

Obviously, Jill can wear any symbol she wants. And I can grumble about it. :-)

Thanks for the great info.

PS - I was Jewish in at least one past life - I just know I was. :>) 

• Love 3

I'd imagine her clothes are big because she's still actively recovering from Izzy's birth - nothing too tight, nothing that might irritate the healing of the C-section incision, and nothing that emphasizes the post-baby weight that she's still trying to lose.

I think it's pretty harsh to label Derek as "hideously unattractive." Hideous? Really? He's certainly not hot like Ben, but he's very sweet to Jill and thus far seems to be a good father to Iz. I'll take average, educated, and employed.

I'm sure he is sweet and a good father but he is also butt ugly.

Jill and Derick also kind of have a pseudo-hippie vibe going on. Not sure it works, but hey, good for them for exploring something slightly off the beaten path.

I prefer Derick to Bin, but I liked him more before he became a Duggar.

• Love 5

Jill had cousin Amy and grandma and grand pa who are non fundie but she's still drunk the Kool aid. Cathy might have an influence but if Derrick goes full fundie there's nothing she can do

Bearing in mind that Cathy and Amy are still fundie. Cross Church is Southern Baptist, a church that takes the bible literally. That means no evolution -- a 6,000 year old created earth, Adam and Eve and all the stories really happened, and "wives are to submit to their husbands." That's right in their church doctrine. I feel like we need a better word for the Duggars/Bateses/Maxwells and crew than fundie, one more specific to their extra views on courtship, clothes, etc.

Derick has an 'aw, shucks' look to him while Ben has a 'typical frat boy' look to him. Neither are my type, but I don't find them hideous.

I agree. Judging from the picture though Derick looks different since his oral surgery. I find it interesting that he's having all this cosmetic dental work done now as opposed to when he was younger. I can understand Anna not having braces as a child because her family was poor, but both of Derick's parents had good jobs with insurance. I wonder if Boob wanted him to look a little more "camera ready" and dropped some not so subtle hints.

• Love 4

Well, if he had work done on his palate in addition to the braces, there's probably a larger problem than a simple cosmetic issue. They may have needed to wait to correct it until he was done growing, and since he was in Nepal for two years, now's the time.

I think it's a little hard to judge from Amy's pic just because of the lighting, etc. The pic isn't all that clear.

• Love 4

I don't think Derick is ugly. I think Derick looks like every other 25 year old out there. I guarantee you I could walk down any given street right now and pick 5 guys with looks very close to Derick`s. His problem is he's kind of average.

• Love 4

They're "evenly-yoked."
  • Love 4

This may be more than just a cosmetic issue for Derek. He could be experiencing pain because his jaw is not properly aligned. I friend of mine got braces at 21 years old, and they broke her jaw and wired it back together. His teeth weren't bad,as far as being crooked, or having an overbite. This might not be cosmetic at all. I had braces from 4-8th grade and last year I had to get a mouth guard to keep me from gritting my teeth and clenching my jaw at night and when I concentrate. Years of doing things like that cause damage that has to be corrected eventually. 

The speculation that happens with this family is amazing.

I know right? Sometimes we're almost as good at making wild speculations as the Duggars are. It's all good though.

I kind of wonder if Jill did a little *hinting* at Derick to change get surgery though. Aha

Derrick is okay looking from certain angles. He's average looking. His facial hair looks like he took coffee grounds and smeared it on his face and his teeth are unfortunate looking. He and Jill both have horse faces. If anyone remembers what Jill looked like before TLC came into the picture.. let's just say she looks like a supermodel now compared to the first TLC special.

Bin is also plain looking to me. He's not "hot"...just average. I'm kind of surprised Jessa went for him.

• Love 2

I think people become more or less attractive depending on their personalities. So if you like Derick, you will think he is handsome. If you cannot stand him, then he's one ugly dude.

I do not "know" him so I think he is ok, kinda cute because of the way he interacts with Jill and Iz.

I also think most politicans are ugly.

• Love 8
(edited)

Did anyone see the hack on Jill and Jessa's Facebook today?

I heard about it but didn't see it. What was said? Apparently it wasn't even on their actual pages, only the fan pages. Fail.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think Derick is not bad looking, but he's lost a lot of weight since college and now is too thin, IMO. He looked like he was at a good weight in college, lost weight in Nepal (understandable), then has lost more weight at least since the birth of the baby (also understandable; he's working full time, has the stress of being on the tv show/new marriage, probably up a lot at night, plus dental work making it hard to eat). His clothes are also now too big, contributing to the sloppy look. I think he'd look much better if he went back to the weight he was at 3-4 years ago.

Edited by CatS

CatS, I agree. I thought he looked cute in his Pistol Pete college photo, but he has appeared exhausted and too thin lately. I remember when I got braces in junior high I could barely eat for the first two weeks and then when you go to have them adjusted your mouth kills for several days. He's probably living off of soup and mashed potatoes right now.

(edited)

Regarding Derick's palate surgery...someone on the Jill's Special Delivery thread said he looked marfanoid (Google image, wow, very similar to his features, also the palate problems)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marfan_syndrome

Yikes. If marfanoidism runs in Derick's family, I hope Izzy is monitored for this, since he was 23 inches on arrival. Or maybe Iz will only see a pediatrician when he's really sick and not for regular recommended care, vaccinations etc? She may have thought she didn't need an obstetrician's care for herself but I hope she'll think twice about a pediatrician, PA or nurse-practitioner for her own child.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 2
(edited)

You totally win The Internet today for this post. Bless their hearts.

I agree. Judging from the picture though Derick looks different since his oral surgery. I find it interesting that he's having all this cosmetic dental work done now...I wonder if Boob wanted him to look a little more "camera ready" and dropped some not so subtle hints.

I think it's Jill. It was Jill who liked his scraggly needs-a-shave face, Jill who advises him on how to wear his hair and clothing. He does what Jill recommends. And I think Jill advises him to her tastes - a very subtle step sideways from the clean shaven dork preacher-haired JB. All the boys look the exact same way. I don't know them apart! It's a trend right now to wear shirts out. If JB was at the not- Christening on Sunday, he wore a suit and tie. And every Duggar boy there had a tucked in shirt and a tie. For a fundie man, not wearing a tie in the house of the Lord is like going barefoot. Not happening. Here's what I say to Derick: YAY YOU!!!! Every little tiny subtle difference is a ground breaker.

And anyway, we're the snarkers. If he WOULD have worn a tucked shirt and/or a tie, every one of us would have said he was racing down the road to Duggarism.

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 6

Jill knows those chalkboard pictures get media exposure. Hats off to Jessa for not doing it.

Jill looks relaxed and not in pain like she was in the pics when they just got out of church.

I'm glad, but she had all day to pose for that. it's not like she hasn't learned how to cover her feelings with a smile.

• Love 1

They're Baaaaack!  Jill, the chalkboard + Iz.  The flower headband too.  Jill looks relaxed and not in pain like she was in the pics when they just got out of church.

https://instagram.com/p/2ntKzDGCcp/?taken-by=derickdillard

Hahahhaaaaa notice how we talk about something and suddenly it happens. I mentioned it the other day that Jill was not using her blackboard to announce RickJames age and bam there she is. I think they secretly read these boards.

If they do then for the love of God and everything HOLY get MEchelle to a stylist. (I know wrong thread but it has to be said)

• Love 3

I doubt Jill is reading here, I don't think her ego could take it.  However, I think that someone with access reads here, and probably other forums too.

Can you imagine trying to get something through to her?

"Jill, some people think you'd look even better with shorter hair"  Jill narrows her eyes.  "No dear, of course not.  I mean they love your hair, but they think you'd have an easier time taking care of a newborn if you trimmed a few inches."  Jill's eyes turn to slits.  "I totally agree with you.  What do they know, they're obviously heathens!"

It would probably be worth their job to tell Jill anything about how people might view her clinginess to her husband, her horrible handling of her labor and birth or even her silly headband.

But if Jill knows that people are talking about her and not all of them are approving of her, I can see some poor person tasked with telling her what she can do to 'improve her image' without upsetting her.  Telling her that people seem to 'miss' her weekly chalkboard pics would be the way to go.

• Love 7

I doubt Jill is reading here, I don't think her ego could take it. However, I think that someone with access reads here, and probably other forums too.

Can you imagine trying to get something through to her?

"Jill, some people think you'd look even better with shorter hair" Jill narrows her eyes. "No dear, of course not. I mean they love your hair, but they think you'd have an easier time taking care of a newborn if you trimmed a few inches." Jill's eyes turn to slits. "I totally agree with you. What do they know, they're obviously heathens!"

It would probably be worth their job to tell Jill anything about how people might view her clinginess to her husband, her horrible handling of her labor and birth or even her silly headband.

But if Jill knows that people are talking about her and not all of them are approving of her, I can see some poor person tasked with telling her what she can do to 'improve her image' without upsetting her. Telling her that people seem to 'miss' her weekly chalkboard pics would be the way to go.

LOL. Jill the angelic demon, hissing at you if you dare suggest she do something differently. I wonder how the crew deals with MEchelle.

• Love 1

If I may be shallow...I am finally watching the birth episode and Derick looked really good in that sleeveless shirt with his hair flat and whispering soothing words. His hair looks bad spiky IMO, so of course that's how Jill likes it best. I think he's the type who looks better in motion than in pictures.

Anyone notice how Jill adds a k to the end of some of her words? thinking-k, talking-k. It drives me nuts.

If I may be shallow...I am finally watching the birth episode and Derick looked really good in that sleeveless shirt with his hair flat and whispering soothing words. His hair looks bad spiky IMO, so of course that's how Jill likes it best. I think he's the type who looks better in motion than in pictures.

Anyone notice how Jill adds a k to the end of some of her words? thinking-k, talking-k. It drives me nuts.

Many of the Duggar daughters do this (Jana and Joy are the worst offenders), but none of the sons. It's weird. 

Many of the Duggar daughters do this (Jana and Joy are the worst offenders), but none of the sons. It's weird. 

You know what's odd? I noticed it on another show that I watched a couple of episodes of as well, Preacher's Daughters. One of the girls did more of a "g' sound at the end instead of a "k" sound, but it's very pronounced like what the Duggar girls do. Is it a regional thing?

I knew someone who used to talk like that, but in her case it was because even though she had been born in Australia, and English was her first language, her mother was Polish born and raised, moving to Aus a few years before she was born. When her mother spoke English she pronounced -ing ending words with a hard -ink sound instead because of her accent, and her daughter unconsciously mimicked that, and had to make a real effort to use the softer -ing sound.

I guess the girls don't have that as an excuse though.

Just a reminder: we've already said that since little Israel now has a real name, we're not doing the RickJames thing any more. It's fine to play around with his real name, but we'll be editing or deleting references to pre-name nicknames.

Thanks!

• Love 1