Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I get the feeling the kids are closer with JB so I would assume he changed diapers. Derrick said in an episode he changed diapers. Jill does look a bit heavier than I remember from the interview. The baby is old enough to where she could be expecting baby number 2.

• Love 2
(edited)

Jill's weight gain could be stress as well.

Rough delivery, new baby, husband had surgery, husband no longer has job, been outed as victim of sexual molester - her brother no less.

All within 3 mos? That could do it

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 2

Derick and Jill look good in this pic. However, matching green shirts? Really guys? Too much like JB and M.

Baby looks cute.

On the other hand, the baby was wearing a waldo shirt and not a matching green tee.

(edited)

So Jill just posted a pic of Derick with some pastor at the event -- definitely a Duggar friendly event. Derick looks rough -- I don't know if it's his braces or his shaggy hair or his weight (he looks even thinner than normal to me), but he looks like a teenager -- and I don't meet that in a hot way but in an immature way. I really wonder what he's going to be doing post-Walmart. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at one of these churches or as a youth minister or something; it would be so much better for him to have a career separate and apart from the Duggar hoopla -- even if it's just a career with a small accounting shop that isn't super busy and will allow him to take off all the time for the Duggar hoopla.

Well, don't know what it means, but somebody on Free Jinger turned this up from the Arkansas Sec'y of State's website company search:

On June 17, the Dillards filed under some law that's related to medical corporations (at least in its title, anyway -- but maybe it has provisions that aren't medical at all) to establish a nonprofit called Dillard Family Ministries. They're listed as the directors and the Huckabee associate that Jim Bob was supposedly consulting with about the Josh pr and so on as the "incorporator/organizer." Have no idea what any of that means, but they've been busy with something.

http://www.sos.arkansas.gov/corps/search_corps.php?DETAIL=440936&corp_type_id=&corp_name=Dillard&agent_search=&agent_city=&agent_state=&filing_number=&cmd=

Maybe the new TLC show will follow Jillerick and Benessa (and MarJosiah?) as they attempt to establish three hip new Gothard-tinged megachurches to bring the so-called Joshua generation back to the task of establishing God's army.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 2

Well, don't know what it means, but somebody on Free Jinger turned this up from the Arkansas Sec'y of State's website company search:

On June 17, the Dillards filed under some law that's related to medical corporations (at least in its title, anyway -- but maybe it has provisions that aren't medical at all) to establish a nonprofit called Dillard Family Ministries. They're listed as the directors and the Huckabee associate that Jim Bob was supposedly consulting with about the Josh pr and so on as the "incorporator/organizer." Have no idea what any of that means, but they've been busy with something.

http://www.sos.arkansas.gov/corps/search_corps.php?DETAIL=440936&corp_type_id=&corp_name=Dillard&agent_search=&agent_city=&agent_state=&filing_number=&cmd=

Maybe the new TLC show will follow Jillerick and Benessa (and MarJosiah?) as they attempt to establish three hip new Gothard-tinged megachurches to bring the so-called Joshua generation back to the task of establishing God's army.

Most likely Dillard Family Ministries is a front to get their moving costs, Nepal housing/utilities and family/friend transportation to/from Nepal as tax deductible. Freaking scammers.
  • Love 12
(edited)

Most likely Dillard Family Ministries is a front to get their moving costs, Nepal housing/utilities and family/friend transportation to/from Nepal as tax deductible. Freaking scammers.

Yeah, I sort of think that too. It's as if Derick hooked up with Jim Bob not because he wanted a prayer partner but because he wanted the state's biggest grifter as his personal role model. But I'm trying to look on the bright side.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5
(edited)

Maybe it's medical to help cover something childbirth related Jill wants to do.

And I agree, they're scammers. Fake charities, if that's what this turns out to be, are the worst. They'll have nice things/homes/etc for personal use that all belong to the ministry on paper. Shell corp/tax dodge/false piety/etc all rolled up. Gothard does the same thing with his operations.

Now we know why Derick really quit.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 2

Jill's weight gain could be stress as well.

Rough delivery, new baby, husband had surgery, husband no longer has job, been outed as victim of sexual molester - her brother no less.

All within 3 mos? That could do it

All good points. Besides, aren't nursing mothers told to basically eat like construction workers? I had a friend whose first baby was actually losing weight - beyond those few ounces newborns tend to lose in the hospital. When she went home with the baby, she went back to her pre-pregnancy eating habits, which were healthy but relatively deficient in fats and red meat. Good, right? Turns out, her doctor put her on a diet for underweight women. She wasn't, but she did get to drink milkshakes, enjoy butter and real ice cream, steak, pasta, veggies with cream sauce etc without guilt. She said it was for her, hands-down, the best part of having a baby - other than the baby. :>)

My bet as well. And now, teaching pre-teens about bankruptcy law is starting to make a little sense...

• Love 1

Maybe it's medical to help cover something childbirth related Jill wants to do.

And I agree, they're scammers. Fake charities, if that's what this turns out to be, are the worst. They'll have nice things/homes/etc for personal use that all belong to the ministry on paper. Shell corp/tax dodge/false piety/etc all rolled up. Gothard does the same thing with his operations.

Now we know why Derick really quit.

If he really quit. To me, jury's still out on this. IMO, if he did quit, it was because he knew he was headed toward dismissal. Or at the very least a warning: "Look, we've been patient and we've been flexible. For a year and a half. The ball's in your court now. Do you want to work here or not? If yes, you know what you have to do. If not, thanks for your time and best of luck..."

• Love 4

If Jill and Derick plan to be professional full time God botherers, TLC won't be interested in them, I hope they know that. The lives of a pair of boring nerdy awkward religious types is not compelling television.

I don't know what that the goal of Dericks surgery was, but I assume he didn't ask for the picket fence smile he got.

• Love 5
(edited)

My tv has so many religious channels on them it's amazing.  I never stop at them.  But you have to pay for them.  I see Jessa and Ben wanting that kind of ministry or the Tammy Faye kind.    Drrick and Jill, I don't know what he did in Nepal really but I was stupefied to see the missionaries making a long single file trek to view a crummy dirt floor, no kitchen, no toilet, place just to "oh ain't awful"  and walk away.  They'd rather have lunch with them and paint their nails.  That's not a christian thing to do imo.  I think it is insulting to the "natives" to put them on show that way and uses them for their own purposes.  

Edited by Micks Picks
  • Love 7
(edited)

Jill has posted a Father's Day Greeting for Jim Bob  (and just below it is the one she posted for Michelle for Mother's Day)

Notice the difference (the one for Michelle was done before we learned about Josh)

http://www.dillardfamily.com/blog

I was thinking Jill's Father's Day message would be for Derrick's first Father's Day (stupid me!)

eta-why is Israel always wrapped up so he can't move his hands and feet?

Edited by springtime
  • Love 1

Jill has posted a Father's Day Greeting for Jim Bob (and just below it is the one she posted for Michelle for Mother's Day)

Notice the difference (the one for Michelle was done before we learned about Josh)

On Instagram, she posted one for Derrick first, and then Jim Bob. I thought the picture of Iz sleeping on Derrick's chest was rather sweet. I'm a sucker for pics like that.

I was thinking Jill's Father's Day message would be for Derrick's first Father's Day (stupid me!)

• Love 1

Jill has posted a Father's Day Greeting for Jim Bob (and just below it is the one she posted for Michelle for Mother's Day)

On Instagram, she posted one for Derrick first, and then Jim Bob. I thought the picture of Iz sleeping on Derrick's chest was rather sweet. I'm a sucker for pics like that.

First preparation for a lifetime as a subject of King JimBob Duggar?

• Love 1

It looks as if they removed too much of his jaw and now the top part of his mouth is deeper than the bottom. It is odd...

And I don't think they look matched on purpose.

But way for Ben to show off his sexy self by neglecting the undershirt beneath the polo! ;)

It looks to me like one front tooth is in the middle of his upper jaw- instead of the two teeth lined up in front if that makes sense. Kind of like the way Tom Cruise's were before he had them fixed. Or it is an optical illusion.

Maybe they plan to offer free shoddy midwifery or abortion counseling or something.

• Love 1
(edited)

Thanks for that link- Nice photos and words on Instagram...

Their blog (I linked above) has a video greeting for JB (from Jill, Derrick and Iz) which is quite generic (and brief) ! lol

Edited by springtime
(edited)

Does this mean people can give them money to use for their trip to Nepal?

. My daughter and her oh so wonderful husband [sarcasm just ran like honey dripping down the computer screen...] are planning that DREADFUL AWFUL THIS-CAN'T-POSSIBLY-BE-HAPPENING mission trip to Nowhere, Nicaragua without an umbrella organization. Hey had to start their own non-profit "organization" (as if organization was part of THIS plan...) for one purpose: to collect money.

It occurs to me my daughter and OSW SIL have already crossed some of these bridges. Maybe they could offer consultant services.

Edited because I don't even know what a meerkat is!!! Is that a word???

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 1

Derick never made any secret about his desire to go into ministry, likely full time. He was doing a mission when we met him and studying for his MDiv. I think the idea that he was going to be a lifelong Wal-Mart employee was misplaced.

And for cynics, you can jeer, but I actually wish more people who went into the ministry had at least SOME business or accounting background. There is an awful lot of "real life issues" to deal with as any kind of minister these days, and some practical experience in the real world and seeing how organizations run and bills and payroll and things need to be met is quite helpful.

• Love 9

Jill has posted a Father's Day Greeting for Jim Bob  (and just below it is the one she posted for Michelle for Mother's Day)

I hope the wrapping has nothing to do with the Pearls. They believe in wrapping, even toddlers and older so that kids are not able to get up or out of bed at night. This has actually lead to several deaths from kidney failure. I'm curious if Jill will use the Pearl's teaching or not since it is what she knows. I think her current wrapping is probably some trend she saw online or something she saw a midwife training and she is going too far with it. I had a big baby and a C-section and no help when my spouse worked and I'll admit my baby spent a lot of time in his swing and bouncer for the first few months.

I do hope Derick has a nice father's day. Maybe he was a fan of the show before he met Jill, maybe he wanted Jim Bob to sponsor his mission, but deep down I think he was thrilled to marry a sweet girl like Jill and he just wanted a family. I hope he enjoys his first fathers day and can forget about this family circus he married into for a day.

• Love 6

No, it's today. 

As for Dillard Ministries, I dug into the firm representing them some, and this is solely a way to monetize their endeavor. So yeah, this is how they will collect their "love offerings" from the leghumpers and be able to use them tax-free, since they're filed as a non-profit.

Rich just keep getting richer. This should surprise no one. 

• Love 18
(edited)

. My daughter and her oh so wonderful husband [sarcasm just ran like honey dripping down the computer screen...] are planning that DREADFUL AWFUL THIS-CAN'T-POSSIBLY-BE-HAPPENING mission trip to Nowhere, Nicaragua without an umbrella organization. Hey had to start their own non-profit "organization" (as if organization was part of THIS plan...) for one purpose: to collect money.

It occurs to me my daughter and OSW SIL have already crossed some of these bridges. Maybe they could offer consultant services.

Edited because I don't even know what a meerkat is!!! Is that a word???

Ugh so sorry you're dealing with that. I assume they've got to have some way to fund-raise and are probably trying to do it in the most tax-efficient way possible too (Jill/Derick, as well as your daughter and SIL). 

Yes Meerkat's a word - they are very cute!  They look kinda like prairie dogs.

ETA: hope this is okay to include, here are some Meerkats - and it's not totally OT as they look like they're well on their way to 19!  Apparently they are okay with frontal hugs, though.

meerkat_2.jpg

Edited by NikSac
  • Love 20

Derick never made any secret about his desire to go into ministry, likely full time. He was doing a mission when we met him and studying for his MDiv. I think the idea that he was going to be a lifelong Wal-Mart employee was misplaced.

And for cynics, you can jeer, but I actually wish more people who went into the ministry had at least SOME business or accounting background. There is an awful lot of "real life issues" to deal with as any kind of minister these days, and some practical experience in the real world and seeing how organizations run and bills and payroll and things need to be met is quite helpful.

This.  I looked into studying for my MDiv and a section of questions on the seminary application asked about financial management.

The photos of Derrick/Jill and Ben/Jessa on stage at ALIVE look like the teenage counsellors closing the Variety Show on the last day of church camp.   They all look and act like children playing at 4th grade marriage. 

• Love 9

Geez - I have great pictures of me with my wraps and my daughter at much older ages than Jill is with Izz. She had colic and keeping her close to me was one of the only ways we got through the first six months, and after that, she simply enjoyed the security of it. In Europe, slings are far more common than are strollers. (My daughter hated her stroller.)

Given that we worried about Jill not being bonded just a few weeks ago, I like seeing him in the sling.

• Love 5

If I were Derick's mom I'd be so pissed right now -- while totally realizing that he's a grown man with his own family and there's nothing I could do or say. They apparently raised him in a home with some appreciation for education -- as he went to college and was shown in a high school grad pic wearing a National Honor Society thing on his gown -- and hard work -- as evidenced by the fact that mom was a senior executive and dad was a cop, both professions requiring hard work.

So he marries a girl whose family doesn't believe in education for anyone -- boys or girls -- and seems to think it's ok for the men to sit home all day as long as there's passive income coming in from rental properties or cell phone towers or TV contracts and then they can shelter said income with BS non profits and home churches. So her son gets a job at the ONLY multinational in that area and because of the influence of his wife and her family, he walks away in less than 18 months -- bc apparently education and hard work don't matter to him either, and he's rather be appearing at de facto church camps speaking about his relationship. They're not exactly living in an area that is NYC where you can let go of one multinational job, pursue your passions of ministry of whatever, and get picked up by a different multinational down the road bc there are so many. WMT is the major corporate show in that town; if you burn a bridge over there, chances are you aren't getting re-hired.

I'm sure his mom knows he is or became a man of God and that's important to him -- but she's conservative herself and has always lived in the bible belt; surely she thought WMT and/or accounting would be his main gig and he could run all the church camps or youth retreats he wanted on the weekend.

What was up with Derick's statement at the Ohio event that was quoted in People -- that returning to the U.S, getting engaged, starting a new job, married, and new baby were a lot of changes in one year and they don't know if yr 2 will bring so much change but they'll try?? That means what -- yr 2 will involve quitting his job, having baby #2 and what else?? You'd think he'd want to say -- a lot has happened in a yr, time to sit back and enjoy my wife and son and current life before we do anything drastic again.

• Love 10

I love wraps, slings, and babywearing, and am glad Jill is wearing Iz, but...she's STILL doing it wrong. It's better than before (at least his head is visible), but his seat is too precarious, it's not high enough at all on his back, and it's supposed to cover her entire shoulder and upper arm and be tight. The part by her neck has to be uncomfortable. You Tube, Jill, You Tube. Watch a 2 minute video.

• Love 4
In Europe, slings are far more common than are strollers. (My daughter hated her stroller.)

I think we must be living in different parts of Europe because I've never seen a child carried in a sling about town. Strollers are everywhere and once in a while one sees a Baby Björn but they aren't terribly common. Slings? Not even on the radar.

f I were Derick's mom I'd be so pissed right now -- while totally realizing that he's a grown man with his own family and there's nothing I could do or say. They apparently raised him in a home with some appreciation for education -- as he went to college and was shown in a high school grad pic wearing a National Honor Society thing on his gown -- and hard work -- as evidenced by the fact that mom was a senior executive and dad was a cop, both professions requiring hard work.

She did seem quite apprehensive about the whole thing from the start and I can't imagine she's feeling any less so right now. I don't know if Derick is naive or stupid or just so drunk on the koolaid that he can't believe bad things can happen to him and his family, but both him and Jill just seem so careless. I realise they are both very young but they have a child now and dropping the one steady income with benefits they have in order to pursue a dream that doesn't seem all that well thought out, no matter how you look at it, is just irresponsible and daft IMO. Cathy must be having kittens right now but at the same time I'm not sure she dares to show it since Derick has been well Duggared in the past year.

• Love 9

I love wraps, slings, and babywearing, and am glad Jill is wearing Iz, but...she's STILL doing it wrong. It's better than before (at least his head is visible), but his seat is too precarious, it's not high enough at all on his back, and it's supposed to cover her entire shoulder and upper arm and be tight. The part by her neck has to be uncomfortable. You Tube, Jill, You Tube. Watch a 2 minute video.

Maybe it's just me but I think she's going to be doing it wrong no matter what she does. It'll be too high, too low, too loose, too tight, too high, not high enough, etc.  Isn't that kind of what happens to all new moms? They're doing it wrong, no matter what?

• Love 8

I guess I see two people in their mid-twenties who want to pursue full time ministry as making a rational choice. While for some it's a summer or weekend activity, for others it's a true calling. I don't think Derick ever hid that he felt that calling and was indeed preparing for it long before Jill. It's a calling that I think Jill legitimately shares. They will start debt free, likely with some money saved. Both have served on missions before and are very respectful of the work - it's not just rainbows and lollipops. There were signs Jill was actually studying.

To me, these are all good things for them. Not my own choices, but not choices that Jim Bob and Michelle would be dictating to them. I'm sure they would much prefer a "ministry" that required Jill and Derick to be available full time to THEIR needs. I hope they move far, far, away.

• Love 12

Maybe it's just me but I think she's going to be doing it wrong no matter what she does. It'll be too high, too low, too loose, too tight, too high, not high enough, etc. Isn't that kind of what happens to all new moms? They're doing it wrong, no matter what?

I'm a first time mom (10 month old), and while I'm sure I've done many things "wrong", I genuinely try very hard not to. I research like crazy and ask questions all the time. And while I think there are many parts of parenting that can be done right a multitude of ways, wearing a ring sling isn't one of them. A carrier can be dangerous if done incorrectly. The way to do it right:

https://www.carrymeaway.com/learncenter/8-tips-for-getting-comfortable-in-your-ring-sling/

• Love 2
I guess I see two people in their mid-twenties who want to pursue full time ministry as making a rational choice. While for some it's a summer or weekend activity, for others it's a true calling. I don't think Derick ever hid that he felt that calling and was indeed preparing for it long before Jill. It's a calling that I think Jill legitimately shares. They will start debt free, likely with some money saved. Both have served on missions before and are very respectful of the work - it's not just rainbows and lollipops. There were signs Jill was actually studying.

For me it's not so much what they are doing but how they are going about it. If they have true calling, fine, but there is no reason to be stupid about it. From what I understand, Derick is still in training to become a missionary. Jill hasn't finished her midwifery education and hasn't made any noises that she's even attempting to. They have no umbrella organisation. There doesn't seem to be any consistent funding of the mission except a hope that TLC might want to film it. If they want to go and save the godless heathens fine, but I don't se a lot of rationality in how they're going about it. And if I was Cathy I'd be nursing an ulcer right now.

• Love 7

Speaking realistically, Derrick's education and work history is fairly typical for a millennial.  A growing number of young people spend a gap year abroad, either before or after college.  They tend to job hop, especially early in their work history.  The first job, if it's entry level, is often kept for about a year.  I'm an early millennial (one of those barely on the cusp) and my college's career development office even trained us to consider the first few jobs to be temporary, as ways to gain experience and network and not as long term permanent options.  

Wal-Mart was not the Dillard's only source of income so the hysteria about him leaving the job is strange.  They have income.  They have a roof over their head (and I'm assuming that roof is considered part of their earnings).  Health benefits are easily obtained without having to work for a multinational (I mean, how else do we think Michelle and Jim Bob were paying for all of those pregnancies and the health care associated with children?) and the ACA makes access easier than ever.  

I've just been scratching my head wondering what the freak out is all about.  Perhaps it's a generational thing.  While a few of my peers lucked out and found exactly what they were looking for the first time, most of us have a career path that looks wildly different from our parents.  Even those like me in education find ourselves having to job hop as we navigate ourselves into something even semi-permanent.  (Almost no safety in even being a public school teacher).  Some of that job hopping might actually be going in a new direction entirely.  It's really typical for the late x/millennial generation.

• Love 8
(edited)

I'm a first time mom (10 month old), and while I'm sure I've done many things "wrong", I genuinely try very hard not to. I research like crazy and ask questions all the time. And while I think there are many parts of parenting that can be done right a multitude of ways, wearing a ring sling isn't one of them. A carrier can be dangerous if done incorrectly. The way to do it right:

https://www.carrymeaway.com/learncenter/8-tips-for-getting-comfortable-in-your-ring-sling/

I believe the poster that said

Isn't that kind of what happens to all new moms? They're doing it wrong, no matter what?

is saying that because others (friends, family and strangers) feel free to share their childcare methods and let you know when they think you are doing something wrong!  (I'm sure you and your 10 month old are doing just fine)

It is something for all us "childcare experts" (who were new mothers once) to keep in mind!

Edited by springtime
  • Love 4

I think a lot of it is generational. I'm 36 and the thought of losing steady income gives me panic attacks. I have a niece and nephew who are young Millenials and their attitude is much more loosey-goosey. However they're both single with no kids to support, so they have that luxury. If Derick didn't have the safety net of the Duggar Dynasty beneath him, I doubt he'd have ditched his job so quickly.

• Love 3

I believe the poster that said

is saying that because others (friends, family and strangers) feel free to share their childcare methods and let you know when they think you are doing something wrong!  (I'm sure you and your 10 month old are doing just fine)

It is something for all us "childcare experts" (who were new mothers once) to keep in mind!

Yep that's exactly what I meant - darn it it's hard to get tone right online. Thanks for understanding and explaining it better than I did.

• Love 1

I think a lot of it is generational. I'm 36 and the thought of losing steady income gives me panic attacks. I have a niece and nephew who are young Millenials and their attitude is much more loosey-goosey. However they're both single with no kids to support, so they have that luxury. If Derick didn't have the safety net of the Duggar Dynasty beneath him, I doubt he'd have ditched his job so quickly.

Well, we really don't know how quickly he 'ditched' the job.  We don't really know how long this had been part of his plan. And we don't really know if he would have quit one job to move on to another if he weren't part of the Duggar Dynasty.  In any case, I'm an older millennial in my early 30's.  It's fairly usual for major life event announcements to coincide with new jobs.  I suppose nothing like having a baby makes people antsy to move on to something better (and how they define better might differ from person to person).  

(edited)

My daughter is in her 20s, a college grad, who had a very good long-term job, which she hated. She saved up money, quit her job, drove cross country with her boyfriend, and is now working 3 part-time jobs, and is happy for the time being. 

Jill & Derick might have planned well. They may have money saved and a sponsor. Derick is a new dad, and unlike JB seems to have a somewhat realistic head on his shoulders.

Edited by GeeGolly
(edited)

Derick's mother:

Career

1989 – 2006 Wal-Mart /SAM’S Club – 17 year career

3 ½ years -- Wal-Mart Accounting – Supervised teams in Payables and

Warehouse Accounting

4 years – SAM’S Club Merchandising:

Inventory Manager – Dry Grocery, Rice/Pasta/Spices, Cookies/Crackers, Bread/Pastries, Seasonal Food, Candy, Tobacco, Film/Batteries, Electronics

Recognized as Inventory Manager of the Year

9 ½ years – Wal-Mart/SAM’S International

Director of Replenishment – Oversaw SAM’S Replenishment Teams in Argentina, Brazil, Canada, China, Mexico, Puerto Rico and US

Strategy Manager – Trained and Supported SAM’S Buyers and Replenishment Teams in Brazil, Canada, China, Mexico and Puerto Rico.

2007 – Present TreeHouse Sales & Solutions Inc., Retail Consultant

Skill Sets/Accomplishments

Managed inventory of two SAM’S US categories simultaneously whose annual sales budgets exceeded $1 Billion each.

Facilitated transition in SAM’S US from six regional Branded Pastas to Private Label

Coordinated consistency of Systems, Processes and Category Alignment of SAM’S International with SAM’S US.

Trained SAM’S International Replenishment Teams on Inforem Ordering System

10 Years experience SAM’S Retail Link

Developed 2 US associates into Inventory Managers who are still with the company.

Developed 3 International Replenishment Managers into DMM/GMM positions who are still with the company.

She would have been well compensated for her work, I think she'd happily support her son and his family if they needed her help.

I can't picture Derick doing a John Schraeder and having a piano, fancy laser printer/binder-printing press and an ice machine shipped over as essentials.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 2

I've just been scratching my head wondering what the freak out is all about.  Perhaps it's a generational thing.  While a few of my peers lucked out and found exactly what they were looking for the first time, most of us have a career path that looks wildly different from our parents.  Even those like me in education find ourselves having to job hop as we navigate ourselves into something even semi-permanent.  (Almost no safety in even being a public school teacher).  Some of that job hopping might actually be going in a new direction entirely.  It's really typical for the late x/millennial generation.

I wonder whether part of what seems scary to some is the thought that, by next year this time, Jill and Derick might have two kids and another on the way, if they're following the Duggar model. I think by now that most of us know that jobs aren't forever, no matter what age bracket we fall in. But when you think about their missionary dream, right next to it looms the Duggar aim-for-20 dream. And while I didn't really think his quitting Walmart was a huge deal when I first heard of it, I do now wonder what it will be like if they actually are trying to go for both dreams at once.

• Love 3

Speaking realistically, Derrick's education and work history is fairly typical for a millennial.  A growing number of young people spend a gap year abroad, either before or after college.  They tend to job hop, especially early in their work history.  The first job, if it's entry level, is often kept for about a year.  I'm an early millennial (one of those barely on the cusp) and my college's career development office even trained us to consider the first few jobs to be temporary, as ways to gain experience and network and not as long term permanent options.  

Wal-Mart was not the Dillard's only source of income so the hysteria about him leaving the job is strange.  They have income.  They have a roof over their head (and I'm assuming that roof is considered part of their earnings).  Health benefits are easily obtained without having to work for a multinational (I mean, how else do we think Michelle and Jim Bob were paying for all of those pregnancies and the health care associated with children?) and the ACA makes access easier than ever.  

I'm a millennial myself -- also on the cusp -- and what you are saying is true for SINGLE millennials. It's one thing to job hop and leave a job at the only big company in town to pursue your passion for ministry or anything else when it's JUST you. A single person doesn't need that much and can get by. But by the time you have a wife (who doesn't work and never will) -- and baby, everyone including millennials finds the need to establish some kind of income source that's steady (or as steady as possible in this economy). I'm sure you're seeing people job hopping into their late 20s and even mid to early 30s -- but in large part bc those people are also settling down later; so they can quit a job they hate, pick up catastrophic insurance for like $20/month, coast for a while, and then pick up an unpaid internship in something they think will be their dream job and see how that goes.

As for Derick -- no he doesn't have an income source. As of right now their TV show is suspended, and we don't even know how much of the 19 kids money was going to Jill anyway, rather than JB. And we don't know if any spin off will go forward, or if it does -- will it last beyond a few episodes or a season? It's ridiculously dumb to hinge your livelihood on a TV show -- esp when you have the skills and education to be doing something else -- when you are at best a B or C level celebrity; it takes about a minute for reality stars to become yesterdays news and in this case they could easily be eclipsed by the Bates or the Willises. And yeah ACA has made insurance easy to get, but all those statements of -- you can have coverage for $20/month are aimed at people in Derick's situation. They are aimed at 20-somethings who never had any coverage at all, so high deductible catastrophic coverage is better than nothing. Guaranteed that is not the coverage you want with a baby -- they need shots; they get ear infections; they go to the dr a LOT when they are little. Also not the kind of coverage you want with a wife who will be pregnant yearly and may require c sections. Coverage for 3 people who need at least decent coverage isn't cheap -- whether under ACA or not.

I'm not freaking out about him quitting -- but I do think it's a move that he would NEVER have made if he hadn't gotten with Jill and drunk the kool aid re TLC, staying home with the wife 24-7, and "ministering" for a living.

• Love 7
(edited)

Nope, it's definitely not specific to only single millennials.  My peer group is buying houses and having kids and also continuing to job hunt.  Self-employed folks with babies have had no problems at all with insurance from the marketplace.  

And I know I keep harping on this but it should be really hard to forget considering we are in the Duggar forum.  Derrick does have an income.  Jill does work.  They earned more money this past weekend than a lot of people make in one month.  Just because this isn't the standard sort of employment does not mean that they aren't working.  Every time they are in front of a camera or a crowd and even a lot of times when they aren't, consider them working.  

Finally, not to point out the obvious, but when the public first met Derick, he was working in Nepal.  This isn't something new that just showed up because he met the Duggars.  I don't find this unusual.  

Edited by bluebonnet
  • Love 3

I find it telling that they filed for Dillard Ministries almost two weeks after the payday from Fox (and I'm sure they got a hefty one). I think that hefty payday (plus the People covers) helped spur them on, especially after having the opportunity to talk to the crisis guy who has a consulting firm geared towards their needs. I bet they thought this was all quite providential; the Lord sent this guy to help them, yadda yadda yadda. 

And in between, Derick gave his notice. The timing of this all makes perfect sense now that more pieces of the puzzle are falling into place. 

• Love 4

I'm not freaking out about him quitting -- but I do think it's a move that he would NEVER have made if he hadn't gotten with Jill and drunk the kool aid re TLC, staying home with the wife 24-7, and "ministering" for a living.

We don't really have any idea why he left his job. The timing is suspect and coincides nicely with the - er - other events in the Duggar life. Could be they told him (nicely of course) to take his marbles and go play somewhere else. Maybe he hasn't gone back to work yet because they had a little money saved up and can afford to coast a minute. Maybe he's having a hard time finding employment because he's close enough to the D's to be toxic right now. I'm just not sure he's at home because Jill wants someone to play house with. But that's just my take, and I don't know any better than anyone else.