Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

• Pray for "Home for the Holidays" Christmas dinner in an American home—for God to bring the right students and host families. 

The right students ???

Their writing is so strange. One sentence it's "we", next it's "Jill", then it's "Derick". Do they take turns writing? It's just odd.

• Love 16

Pretty sure that Muslims already believe in God.  Actually very sure that the Bible mentions them specifically.  

Early Missionaries  also thought they needed to convert everyone in sight rather than accepting lots of religions lead to the same God. 

• Love 11
7 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

Pretty sure that Muslims already believe in God.  Actually very sure that the Bible mentions them specifically.  

Early Missionaries  also thought they needed to convert everyone in sight rather than accepting lots of religions lead to the same God. 

The Bible mentions Muslims? Or am I misreading, because Christianity came before Islam . I get the feeling I'm just misreading what you mean here.

Edited by JennyMominFL
3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, once again they're just following the lead of the church leaders they follow. That kind of "party" is apparently a clear trend these days and it's not created by individual fundie nuts but by conservative churches that are local to universities. I'm guessing it's one of the many things they're trying to do to push back against American religious diversity and bring some more younger people and educated people into their churches -- because that's who's slowly flowing out of them and they see the writing on the wall if the don't reverse that trend ....

And of course when you're the foreign student, you're an easier mark because you're far from home, far from the culture you're at home in, far from places and people where you feel welcomed -- so a little love bombing can sometimes go a long way, especially when you're not sure you fully know U.S. customs and aren't sure what kind of pushing back or whatever is acceptable. 

I've noticed some universities warning their foreign students about this.

Here's the Colorado School of Mines, for example -- 

"Foreign Visitors and Religion

"Foreign students and scholars who are interested in a religion and who want to join a church or place of worship here can simply look up appropriate addresses and telephone numbers. Those following other faiths can seek out fellow nationals who share their beliefs and ask how they go about practicing their religion in Golden.

If you want to see what happens in an American church you can simply attend a service. Or you can go with a friend or acquaintance who attends a church or synagogue.

"If you meet a fundamentalist Christian who tries to persuade you to join, you can simply say that you are not interested. You need not listen or reply to a person who does not appear to respect your right to have your own religion. One tactic proselytizers (that is, people who seek converts from one doctrine to another) use is to invite international students to “a dinner” or “a party” or some other event without informing students that the event is sponsored by the church and that those who attend may be subject to pressure to change their religious beliefs. Students who find themselves in such situations can simply leave if they are uncomfortable."

https://www.mines.edu/isss/incoming-students/cultural-adjustment/religion/

I might have copied and pasted the highlighted portion onto Jill's IG. Leghumpers are so naive. 

• Love 22
4 hours ago, Lunera said:

On Black Friday, we were doing some shopping and saw a of couple ladies wearing burkas, so Jill stopped to ask them where they were from and invited them to the Bible study.

Pics or it didn't happen.  

47 minutes ago, JennyMominFL said:

The Bible mentions Muslims? Or am I misreading, because Christianity came before Islam . I get the feeling I'm just misreading what you mean here.

When Sarah threw her husbands concubine and her child Ishmael of their home, they were promised their own covenant with God. Isn’t that when Islam  was founded? Or am I confusing it with another religion? 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 3

From Jill’s Instagram:

klaniclouseWonderful. I’m sure you’ve welcomed your new Muslim friends to share the Quran with you.

Derick’s (non) reply 

derickdillard@klaniclouse we actually have a copy of the Quran.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

From Jill’s Instagram:

klaniclouseWonderful. I’m sure you’ve welcomed your new Muslim friends to share the Quran with you.

Derick’s (non) reply 

I'm actually kind of impressed by that. They do, after all, come from a world where little children aren't allowed to read Harry Potter because they might turn into devil worshipers. Derick, for all his many faults, has made some effort to get to know people outside of the Baptist church in his corner of Arkansas -- that's a lot more than can be said for the Duggars.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

When Sarah threw her husbands concubine and her child Ishmael of their home, they were promised their own covenant with God. Isn’t that when Islam  was founded? Or am I confusing it with another religion? 

You've got the right people, but the story that says that isn't in the bible but in the Koran, which names Ishmael as the ancestor of Mohammed (founder of Islam many centuries down the line). .... The people show up in both the Jewish/Christian scriptures and the Islamic scriptures. but the connection to Muhammad/Islam only shows up in the Islamic scriptures. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Their writing is so strange. One sentence it's "we", next it's "Jill", then it's "Derick". Do they take turns writing? It's just odd.

Jill has decided that she is one of the ministry school students, too.  She went on their missionary visit to Washington D.C. and is planning to go on the two other trips scheduled for the students.  Those trips cost $3,500.  If they are so hard up for money they have to beg for handouts on gofundme, why is Jill tagging along?  She didn't sign up to be a student and she's not one of them. 

She wrote, "… are grateful for Cross Church School of Ministry right here in our area that we get to serve with during the next year!  Thank you to all of those who have prayed with us and given support toward our fundraising goal! We are so grateful!"

• Love 1

Thank you Churchhoney. 

I wonder how I know that fact then, because honestly, I haven't read the Koran. Maybe a pastor along the way mentioned it.  

Pulled out my NAS bible. Specifically mentions Ishmael will have his own nation. Good enough for me

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Lunera said:

I copied the update from their site 

Derdick wants to convert the husband of a PhD student. Are they really stupid enough to think they can convince these educated people to covert to their fucked up fundieism. They disgust me. If a group of women in burkas approached them handing out texts from the Quran and invited them over to study their holy book at mosque would they go? Hell no!

They haven done absolutely nothing their "ministry". Wonder why no mention of the gofundme account. 

Here's the thing: in many cultures, it is considered rude to decline an invitation to visit someone's house, especially for a meal.  Many foreign students have a different cultural mindset than we do.  I've done medical work in both El Salvador and Kenya, and, in both cases, we received written information about cultural norms in those places that advised us, as mission workers, to never flatly refuse to visit someone's home or share a meal; but, instead, to tell them that the schedule didn't permit it or our mission leaders had to be consulted first. 

It could also be that this particular PhD student is very interested in other religions and likes to find out about them.  I work with a doctor, a man from the Middle East, a lifelong Muslim.  He is deeply interested in other faiths, including Christianity.  As a matter of fact, he is working on a Master's in Comparative Religion, not because he wants to change careers, but because he finds it fascinating.  The topic of his thesis?  The Sermon on the Mount!  He has asked me a lot of questions about Catholicism and has attended many different Christian church services, and, yet. he has no intention of converting; he's happy with his faith.

• Love 23
13 hours ago, IntoTheMystic said:

Didn't Jill use the word "epic" and get scolded by Derick? Or was it a different J? It could have been Kendra. I think it was Jill, though. Something about the word being overused or something. I remember thinking "Only on a Duggar show is a woman told how to talk by a man."

You can tell who gets donations and who buys their strollers at thrift stores. That stroller that the Dullards are pushing around costs a pretty penny. Even at thrift stores. The wife and I have one.

Has anyone ever noticed how little Henry and Spurageonandon always seem engaged and interactive and interested in everything, but poor little Sam looks two seconds from a camera flash heart attack and Izzy is just kind of blank? Look at them in this photo. Spurgenoughalready is clearly looking at Izzy and trying to engage/play and Izzy is just ... blank. I wonder why.

Izzy looks like he’s seen a ghost. Possibly the ghost of Derick’s career?

• Love 9

I hope those burka'd women were condescending as fuck to poor Jilly. You know, talk about how they value modesty more than most people, and choose modest dress at all times, as a way to honor God. How they divert the male gaze better than some trashily dressed women, like Jill. How they pray 5 times a day, on their knees, unlike Jill, etc.

"We believe in Jesus, we just do things a little differently. Now cover up, slut!"

• Love 14
6 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I hope that's the case with the Muslims that the Dullards are attempting to convert. Because it IS clear from the blog post that conversion is their intention. 

When I was in college I attended lots of meals of this type. I enjoy discussing religion with people and found that the people who gave these meals were almost universally surprised that I knew something about their beliefs, and would press them directly about points of dogma. While they would sometimes follow-up and drop by my house, most of them drifted off pretty quickly because I showed no interest in joining (I did remain friends with one young man -- the leader of a group of Moonies -- for a while, but that's another story).

They were clearly looking for people who appeared un-moored -- away from family for the first time, etc. If this was anything other than an established Protestant church, it would be called what it is: a cult looking to ensnare vulnerable people. I could be wrong, but I think that most of the international students will just feel embarrassed for them and will eventually give them a wide berth.

• Love 14
15 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I hope that's the case with the Muslims that the Dullards are attempting to convert. Because it IS clear from the blog post that conversion is their intention. 

Unfortunately, I don't see anything on the U of Ark's web pages for International students and scholars warning them about this kind of thing. But I've sure seen it on a lot of other University websites. 

Here's the University of Iowa, for example -- https://international.uiowa.edu/isss/community/religion

"Some of those Americans who openly discuss their religious beliefs belong to fundamentalist Christian groups who consider it their duty to try to attract others to their faith. Or they may be members of "cults." These groups often single out international students and try to “convert” them to their own religious views. International students will want to be aware that kindness done them or interest shown them by representatives of religious organizations may be displays of genuine helpfulness and concern, but may also be part of an effort to induce a student from abroad to join a fundamentalist group."

And then they follow it up with the same one that Colorado School of Mines uses, cited in my post up above. So there's a widespread program, with some kind of lawyer-approved language, I suppose, about what to say in warning people about this. .... We definitely don't not see it on the U of Ark site because they don't have the problem. Because we know they do. I wonder whether they're more tolerant of it because of the very high number of fundies in the state, or what. 

• Love 13

I actually just finished 2 classes on Islamic History. Islam was founded in the early 600!s and experienced rapid expansion in the 7th century . But Islam built onn both Jewish and Christian scriptures. It views Jewish and Christian prophets as prophets of Islam. this included Jesus Mohammad is said to be the last prophet and the Quran is the perfected scripture. This is why Islam recognizes Jews and Christians as people of the book. And yes,they view Muslims as descendants of Ismail but the religion did not exist until Mohammad received his revelation  the Quran. The reason Islam is divided into Sunni and Shi’a is becaus both groups disagree on how the Caliph, the heir to Mohammad, is to be picked . Jerusalem is holy to Muslims as it is said to be the place where the Prophet Mohammad ascended to heaven

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 19
40 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Here's the thing: in many cultures, it is considered rude to decline an invitation to visit someone's house, especially for a meal.  Many foreign students have a different cultural mindset than we do.  I've done medical work in both El Salvador and Kenya, and, in both cases, we received written information about cultural norms in those places that advised us, as mission workers, to never flatly refuse to visit someone's home or share a meal; but, instead, to tell them that the schedule didn't permit it or our mission leaders had to be consulted first. 

It could also be that this particular PhD student is very interested in other religions and likes to find out about them.  I work with a doctor, a man from the Middle East, a lifelong Muslim.  He is deeply interested in other faiths, including Christianity.  As a matter of fact, he is working on a Master's in Comparative Religion, not because he wants to change careers, but because he finds it fascinating.  The topic of his thesis?  The Sermon on the Mount!  He has asked me a lot of questions about Catholicism and has attended many different Christian church services, and, yet. he has no intention of converting; he's happy with his faith.

Agreed, my office has a satellite office in Turkey, and employees who have been there have reported that when they are local to do work, everybody in the Turkish office vies to have them overnight in their houses for dinner.

Someone should ask Derick if he or Jill have ever opened that Quran.

• Love 7
On 12/20/2017 at 1:19 PM, Lunera said:

Jill wearing her same ill fitting pants again. They look like very worn out, loose jeggings. At least she's warm, though. 

I think Izzy looks like a young Ron Weasley from Harry Potter.  I’m sure I will be considered evil for saying so...

• Love 1

What they're doing is horrible, but in my personal experience, Muslims in Muslim-majority countries were also very quick to proselytize Islam. So it makes me happy to imagine an awkward dinner in which the Muslim students tried to convert Jill/Derick while Jill/Derick tried to convert them. Probably not how it really happened, but one can dream.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

What they're doing is so creepy. It feels a bit like grooming. Grooming the most vulnerable, lonely students on campus. 

Run students, run.

Definitely, And you can tell it's a problem or universities wouldn't be warning people about it. They've obviously heard complaints and horror stories and they're trying to head it off at the pass. 

And the thing is, when you're in a culture you don't know, you're really way more hesitant than you are at home to simply walk out of a situation or refuse or debate something, aren't you? Because you're just not sure what's acceptable. People have probably tried to be polite and gotten converters on them like a dog on a bone.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Here's a wreath, we are going on vacation , make sure to mention the business when you post the picture.......

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc-RVLSF__o/?hl=en&taken-by=jillmdillard

Wreath looks similar style to the misspelled monstrosity that Jer and Jinge had. I’m betting Boob and Mechelle gave that to them as well with the passive aggressive verse about a child being born. I do realize that is a popular Christmas verse but it wasn’t an accident that the only childless marrieds got that wreath. Jill’s is less hideous than Jinger’s though. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Trillium said:

Wreath looks similar style to the misspelled monstrosity that Jer and Jinge had. I’m betting Boob and Mechelle gave that to them as well with the passive aggressive verse about a child being born. I do realize that is a popular Christmas verse but it wasn’t an accident that the only childless marrieds got that wreath. Jill’s is less hideous than Jinger’s though. 

And their name is spelled correctly.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

What they're doing is so creepy. It feels a bit like grooming. Grooming the most vulnerable, lonely students on campus. 

Run students, run.

Reminds self to talk to my daughter leaving home in Fall for college...

• Love 12
12 hours ago, ginger90 said:

From Jill’s Instagram:

Derick’s (non) reply 

As an ex IFB, I can tell you that many people have the Quran or have read the Quran.  For the sole purposes of debating and converting. 

Never to expand knowledge, learn etc.

• Love 12
43 minutes ago, Marigold said:

As an ex IFB, I can tell you that many people have the Quran or have read the Quran.  For the sole purposes of debating and converting. 

Never to expand knowledge, learn etc.

The Dillards/Duggars haven't grasped the Bible yet, surely they haven't been able to understand any meanings in the Quran.

• Love 11
On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:19 PM, Mollie said:

AFAIK (as far as I know) the fad began when teenagers first began to text and enter Internet chatrooms.  It was partly so their parents couldn't figure out what they were saying and it was easier than typing out a complete phrase.  Mostly, it was just cool.  Those kids have now grown up and use the same chat language in office memos and business emails.

If you don't recognize an abbreviation, all you have to do is paste it in the Google search box and hit Enter.  Google knows all!  Try this one: ROTFLMAO

It's horrible, and it's slowly seeping into my texting.  Although I refuse to use "u" and even worse, "I'ma" (shudder).   The only thing I appreciated about the militant rules at TWOP, was the enforced rule against text speak.

• Love 14
25 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

The Dillards/Duggars haven't grasped the Bible yet, surely they haven't been able to understand any meanings in the Quran.

Yeah, but in those big books full or archaic and figurative language, they can just open to any page, dive in, grab an ill-understood phrase that has a couple of words they know in it, and hurl it at someone with the firm conviction that God guided them to that phrase and it proves something.

I mean, why bother trying to understand anything? We're mere humans. We can't understand anything anyway. Our brains are just like cleavage and thighs-- God gave them to us to tempt us into being interested in stuff and relying on stuff that's not him!

So we just go with God's guiding hand and use those big books like a magic 8-ball. That's the way the correct Jesus wants it. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Catfin said:

Reminds self to talk to my daughter leaving home in Fall for college...

Other cult markers:  Inviting people as a group for something characterized innocuously as "Bible study" or "exploring the Bible", and then trying to cull the herd and separate you one-on-one once you get there.  Anything which insists upon separating you from your friends and not allowing you to stay together, is suspect, considering that in my experience "real" fundie churches are like being placed at the bottom of a puppy pile and "the more the merrier".  I know this because I was targeted by a cultish offshoot of the Church of Christ, although in my and my friends' case it was more like a Doberman being set upon by a teacup poodle.  They were surprised that I could find the discussed place in the Bible in milliseconds, and that I could answer the rhetorical questions in their spiel without waiting for them to get to the answer.  Another was actually going off to a Masters of Divinity program the next fall; and when they heard this, instead of being at least nominally interested and pleased they could have a good discussion, the recruiters reacted queasily, as if they had in fact stepped into a pile of Doberman poop, which set off my spidey senses before they even bothered to separate us (I have lost to the mists of my memory, the report of what the agnostic Jew reported she told them to get them off her back).  We would later learn from friends and roommates that the head recruiter, who was a major in the dance department, had been told by creepy church that she couldn't dance in her recital because it was scheduled for a Sunday (another major red flag - we were pretty certain it wouldn't be too long before they told her she couldn't dance at any time and were just trying to ease her into it), and countless other alerts.  (ETA to add:  The leader was miserable over being forbidden to go to the recital and cried her eyes out for weeks, the roommate reported; but it apparently still wasn't enough to unwind her from the cult, so I would guess the elders had some powerful mojo and network.)

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Catfin said:

We should start a betting pool on when the Dillwads will officially crash and burn. I suspect what we've seen thus far is just a precursor. 

They certainly don't seen to have many humpers left.  Lots of non-fan comments!

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Was it just me, or was anyone else defrauded by the pussy willow in that wreath? 

So Jilly is teaching ESL? That’s rich, considering she is barely functional in the language herself.  

Well I’m sure Jilly saw someone teach ESL so of course she can do it herself. It’s the preferred Duggar learning method after all.

• Love 19
4 hours ago, Catfin said:

We should start a betting pool on when the Dillwads will officially crash and burn. I suspect what we've seen thus far is just a precursor. 

Won't be long now. I think they are at the edge. They just need to be pushed off, which they can do themselves ...

• Love 5

I guess the Dullards have a small house rather than a shitty apartment. No wonder Derelict had to set up a GoFundMe. Someone has to pay the rent, and it won't be him! It could still be one of Boob's rentals, but like the McMansions, Derelict will never admit it.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Catfin said:

I think they've already crashed and burned.  They are off the reality TV show, so they have no more national audience for their donation requests.  Without the TLC PR department, magazines showed little interest in Samuel's birth.  They bombed as missionaries in Central America, with no reported conversions and never mastering Spanish.  Derick hasn't reported a single conversion/baptism after five months of trying to convert foreign college students in Arkansas. For the past two years, they've had to constantly beg for money to live on.

• Love 10
43 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I guess the Dullards have a small house rather than a shitty apartment. No wonder Derelict had to set up a GoFundMe. Someone has to pay the rent, and it won't be him! It could still be one of Boob's rentals, but like the McMansions, Derelict will never admit it.

Celebrating early.......that doesn't seem right!

Showing the numbers on the house......that's just stupid.

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 12
2 minutes ago, Mollie said:

I think they've already crashed and burned.  They are off the reality TV show, so they have no more national audience for their donation requests.  Without the TLC PR department, magazines showed little interest in Samuel's birth.  They bombed as missionaries in Central America, with no reported conversions and never mastering Spanish.  Derick hasn't reported a single conversion/baptism after five months of trying to convert foreign college students in Arkansas. For the past two years, they've had to constantly beg for money to live on.

Right? I don't think they've realized the bloom is off the rose yet, however.  There will be tantrums and foot stomping, and eventual attempts at redemption. 

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Celebrating early.......that doesn't seem right!

Showing the numbers on the house......that's just stupid.

True! I had to enlarge the picture as big as it would go, but the numbers could clearly be seen. Easy enough to write them down and do a run-through of Boob's properties. Although someone on IG suggested it was Cathy's house. I know she currently lives on a lake. Maybe she was renting out her place after she and Mr. Byrum took up residence in the lake house?

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Lunera said:

I think it's a duplex, since he only shot half of the house. I zoomed in and saw the house numbers but next to them is a #5 above the flag.

Good catch! I didn't look over on that side. 

However, I did look up Boob's property records in both Washington and Benton counties and came up with nothing that matched. Cathy has a property in her Dillard name in Benton County which is also not a match. 

This is probably property owned by Cross Church to house families. If it's part of the program, we already figured out that they only allotted $200/mo. out of the tuition for rent. I imagine the GFM was to pay for the surplus of living in a more spacious place.

• Love 4