Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

The scary thing about Cathy is that she IS better than Derick. Let that sink in a moment! She is rooted enough in the real world to work a real job up to a high level for decades, and probably without complaining the whole time that some of her coworkers were female, etc. As bad as she is, Derick is WORSE. And that is truly scary!!!

• Love 3

Ever have let’s say, a 4 year old make a statement, or ask a question, and you want to be sure you heard it correctly? One might respond, “Pardon me?”, and they repeat it exactly the same way. Then, one may say, “I don’t understand what you are saying/asking”, and they repeat it exactly the same way again, perhaps louder this time?

Cathy.

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 14

Now we know where Derick gets his answering skills from--his mother. Only answer what you want, even if it doesn't pertain to the questions being asked, and if the questions persist, keep going. That way they always have the last word. Even if it's wrong or makes them look stupid.

• Love 14

WTF???  How about Cathy go to Iran and try to convert everyone to her way of thinking and see how that works out??  She could ask Derick on grifting opportunities.  I believe several folks from Twitter and here would send her money. What a bitch

• Love 13
1 hour ago, McManda said:

I don't understand what Cathy wants that tweeter to go into Iran and proclaim. That people have the freedom to worship who, what, when, why, and how they please?

Because if yes, I don't understand her logic. Freedom of religion IS a concept here in the US. The second amendment disallows the government from making laws to govern religion, which is why "in God we trust" has come under fire for violating the second amendment. (As far as I know, its only current saving grace was that it makes no mention of which god, allowing for the interpretation that you can trust in any god you choose, be it Christ, Allah, Budda, the Flying Spaghetti Monster.) It also sort of negates "it's our national motto" argument because while that's true, there's a good argument that or perhaps shouldn't be. Not to mention, she wants people to trust in a Christian god only. If they do, great, but if they don't ... she would need to acknowledge that's okay, too (but she won't).

Freedom of religion is not a concept in Iran. You wouldn't expect the same protections there as here in the US. The comparison is ridiculous.

Besides, just like the freedom of speech, the idea of freedom of religion protects one from the government only. Any person is able, allowed, and encouraged to worship what and what they see fit. It does not protect any given person from thinking someone else is wrong or unhinged for their beliefs.

For example, I respect Cathy's right to be a hardcore, devout Christian. I also think she's batshit crazy and would be better served to tone down or shut up, but there's nothing I can do about that 

Thank you! You said exactly what I wanted to.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, McManda said:

I don't understand what Cathy wants that tweeter to go into Iran and proclaim. That people have the freedom to worship who, what, when, why, and how they please?

Because if yes, I don't understand her logic. Freedom of religion IS a concept here in the US. The second amendment disallows the government from making laws to govern religion, which is why "in God we trust" has come under fire for violating the second amendment. (As far as I know, its only current saving grace was that it makes no mention of which god, allowing for the interpretation that you can trust in any god you choose, be it Christ, Allah, Budda, the Flying Spaghetti Monster.) It also sort of negates "it's our national motto" argument because while that's true, there's a good argument that or perhaps shouldn't be. Not to mention, she wants people to trust in a Christian god only. If they do, great, but if they don't ... she would need to acknowledge that's okay, too (but she won't).

Freedom of religion is not a concept in Iran. You wouldn't expect the same protections there as here in the US. The comparison is ridiculous.

Besides, just like the freedom of speech, the idea of freedom of religion protects one from the government only. Any person is able, allowed, and encouraged to worship what and what they see fit. It does not protect any given person from thinking someone else is wrong or unhinged for their beliefs.

For example, I respect Cathy's right to be a hardcore, devout Christian. I also think she's batshit crazy and would be better served to tone down or shut up, but there's nothing I can do about that 

At the risk of getting too off-topic, I'd like to point out that "in God we trust," while not specifying the god(s), does violate the freedom from religion principle in the First Amendment as well (hello, atheists and agnostics).

• Love 7

A reminder from the Announcements:

...though the Duggars are constantly bringing up politically charged issues, political discussion is not allowed at Previously.tv, unless it directly relates to episode content. It's very tempting to use their constant social media posts as a jumping off point for discussion of our own beliefs, or to bring up what politicians are saying or doing or not doing about an issue, either in seriousness or in jest, but that's against the site rules. Please, resist!

It seems we're creeping back. As much as we would all love to harangue one another about current events and differing attitudes about said events, using the social media of the Duggars and adjacents to spark that discussion here is violating the spirit of the no politics rule.

• Love 7

My fellow mod left a mod note less than 24 hours ago, reminding everyone here about the political rules of this forum. And yet, discussion continued of Cathy's views, and included poster opinions. All of those posts have now been removed, so you're seeing 2 mod notes in a row. 

I know it's hard, when the Duggars are so political, and say such charged things about current events. We don't want to ban discussion of their social media. It's hard, we know, not to cross the line into discussion of politics generally. But when you talk about how their opinions on politics vary from your own, that's political discussion, and it's not allowed. When you talk about how their beliefs contradict law, or the politics of your country, or bring up political or current events that demonstrate your point, that's political discussion too, and it's not allowed. It starts too many fights, it makes people here feel uncomfortable or excluded, and the site owners have decided it's not allowed. 

If you're looking at your post and thinking "this might be too political", it probably is. There are many, many places on the internet to discuss politics, including what you think about the political beliefs of people on TV. This is not one of them. 

• Love 10
54 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

Do tell, please.

It's regarding his favorite hot-button political issue, so we can't discuss it here. I think you can make an educated guess as to the subject matter.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

It's regarding his favorite hot-button political issue, so we can't discuss it here. I think you can make an educated guess as to the subject matter.

Ah, thanks.  I don't have access to his Twitter, but do LOVE to know when he does his downward spirals.  :-)

I had a feeling that was the one. I do thank you for your honesty. It’s easy to deflect and ignore. But it looks when told the plain truth little boy Derick can’t handle it. He should feel guilty, ashamed, but he is too damn holier than thou to feel anything but self righteousness.

• Love 4

Ok, won’t talk about his latest tweets, but his tweet from yesterday about the Ides of March is more proof of his ignorance. He does realize that it’s a soothsayer that speaks that warning to Caesar, does he not?  Or do you think Derick’s phenomenal education didn’t include Shakespeare?

• Love 6
Just now, irisheyes said:

Ok, won’t talk about his latest tweets, but his tweet from yesterday about the Ides of March is more proof of his ignorance. He does realize that it’s a soothsayer that speaks that warning to Caesar, does he not?  Or do you think Derick’s phenomenal education didn’t include Shakespeare?

Doubtful Shakespeare is Cathy approved.  Who did he think warned Caesar?

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

He'd have to be able to understand Shakespeare first, that, I am doubtful of. 

• Love 10

Sadly, Iz and Sam will never get to read any of the great classics (except, possibly, Pilgrim’s Progress) with Jill as their teacher. While I didn’t love reading many of them in school, it gives you a cultural knowledge that the Duggars seriously lack. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

Too bad we don't have a section for social media here.  Then perhaps folks could do screen grabs of these people's instagram and tweets - for the massive amount of our blocked folks.  

If you log out of your twitter account, you can still read all of it. 

It dawned on me afterwards that, while this is off topic, that is what makes social media bullying so hard. Even though my account is blocked, my IP isn't. So I could just make a new account with a free e-mail address and go to town. I won't, because I like things in moderation, but it brings the constant bullying on social media into a better view for me. I have young kids and please ignore this tangent. 

2 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

I wish I knew your Twitter name.  There was one comment made that deserved a gold medal. ? It was pure awesomeness.

If it was a generally standard first name followed by a ton of numbers, that was me. It was a total troll account. 

• Love 6

I don't have access to his Twitter

You don't have to do anything to have access to Twitter.  It's just website.  Unless the account is private, anyone can see it.   You have to be "on" Twitter in order to post on Twitter, or use the app. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Loves2Dance said:

If you log out of your twitter account, you can still read all of it. 

It dawned on me afterwards that, while this is off topic, that is what makes social media bullying so hard. Even though my account is blocked, my IP isn't. So I could just make a new account with a free e-mail address and go to town. I won't, because I like things in moderation, but it brings the constant bullying on social media into a better view for me. I have young kids and please ignore this tangent. 

If it was a generally standard first name followed by a ton of numbers, that was me. It was a total troll account. 

That’s the one, and you get the medal.  It obviously made Dumbass squirm, which is the most you can hope for with that lame brain. ?

• Love 7

Another tweeted that Easter isn't on the same day every year, insinuating that it would remain constant if the calendar was based on Jesus.

Edited by Sew Sumi
Can't get rid of the box/removed--frenchtoast
  • Love 13
4 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Another tweeted that Easter isn't on the same day every year, insuating that it would remain constant if the calendar was based on Jesus.

That's true.  Easter is the first Sunday, after the first Full Moon after the Spring Equinox.  So Equinox, then a full moon, then the next Sunday is Easter.  

• Love 4

In a discussion about abortion, Derick begins to ramble on about Jesus being a virgin and that the calendar system is based on Jesus' life.  He puts these unrelated thoughts in the same sentence:

"Pretty sure Jesus Christ was a virgin his whole life, and the western world bases its calendar system on the man's life. And while we’re talking about moot points..."

Again, what he posted has nothing to do with abortion, which is the topic at hand. 

Derick is having some kind of mental breakdown and is displaying schizophrenic thought disorder.  "The patient may wander from one subject to another, apparently with little purpose other than social contact.  In schizophrenic thought disorder the logical sequence of ideas may break down so that consecutive sentences are unconnected; a single sentence may contain two unrelated elements."

Schizophrenia is a type of thought disorder that manifests in a breakdown in logical thinking.  Schizophrenics exhibit constant and extreme tangentiality (the tendency to speak about topics unrelated to the main topic of discussion).

"People experiencing mental health conditions may be so focused on their own internal dialogue that they are unable to focus on conversation or questions; in some cases, their internal dialogues may prevent them from understanding conversation.

"Common symptoms of thought disorders include:

1. Rapid, incoherent, or illogical speech;

2. Frequent interruptions in a person’s train of thought;

3. Extremely tangential speech patterns, during which a person rapidly discusses several apparently unrelated topics;

4. Inability to follow a logical train of thought or to clearly tell a story or convey an idea."

He is not a joke anymore.  He needs some serious medical help.  

Edited by Mollie
  • Love 10
14 minutes ago, Mollie said:

In a discussion about abortion, Derick begins to ramble on about Jesus being a virgin and that the calendar system is based on Jesus' life.  He puts these unrelated thoughts in the same sentence:

"Pretty sure Jesus Christ was a virgin his whole life, and the western world bases its calendar system on the man's life. And while we’re talking about moot points..."

Again, what he posted has nothing to do with abortion, which is the topic at hand. 

Derick is having some kind of mental breakdown and is displaying schizophrenic thought disorder.  "The patient may wander from one subject to another, apparently with little purpose other than social contact.  In schizophrenic thought disorder the logical sequence of ideas may break down so that consecutive sentences are unconnected; a single sentence may contain two unrelated elements."

Schizophrenia is a type of thought disorder that manifests in a breakdown in logical thinking.  Schizophrenics exhibit constant and extreme tangentiality (the tendency to speak about topics unrelated to the main topic of discussion).

"People experiencing mental health conditions may be so focused on their own internal dialogue that they are unable to focus on conversation or questions; in some cases, their internal dialogues may prevent them from understanding conversation.

"Common symptoms of thought disorders include:

1. Rapid, incoherent, or illogical speech;

2. Frequent interruptions in a person’s train of thought;

3. Extremely tangential speech patterns, during which a person rapidly discusses several apparently unrelated topics;

4. Inability to follow a logical train of thought or to clearly tell a story or convey an idea."

He is not a joke anymore.  He needs some serious medical help.  

This is a really interesting thought. I am not a psychiatrist, or a doctor, and have never met Derick, and being unhinged on social media is not necessarily a symptom of mental illness, but . . .

Schizophrenia doesn't hit until adolescence or early 20s in men -- Derick's a bit old, but not completely out of range.

Cathy was adopted and her familial health history is unknown. If I recall correctly, her biological mother wanted nothing to do with her when Cathy finally tracked her down.

It's a stretch, but not impossible that Derick seemed relatively normal when he first appeared because he was. He may appear to be coming unglued mentally because he is coming unglued mentally.

• Love 11

Could you imagine him as your co-worker nattering in your ear all day? I'd demand a transfer to another department.

Edited by Sew Sumi
weird keyboard action. time to reboot
  • Love 7