Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

I don't think they shun for sinning. I think they shun for breaking away.

I think this is true both for Fundies and Amish. They can tolerate/forgive any sin but leaving and doing your own thing.

Oh, yeah. All this makes sense. Y'all are right again. For a second there I got all excited. Oh well. Dang.

Edited by Aja
  • Love 2

I don't get why they're not shunning Josh, Amish-style. Isn't that what cults do? It would be the best solution for everyone involved.

I think they would've, had Josh been single, and there there was no TV show.

• Love 2

Wow. I never thought about that! I always figured it was because they didn't have/buy health insurance. But that's an excellent explanation as well.

As far as STDs that Anna could have contracted from Josh's cheating, I'd be most worried about HPV. It's the most common STD in the U.S.: "Current statistics on HPV indicate that at least 50 percent of sexually active men and women acquire a genital HPV infection at some point in their lives. By age 50, at least 80 percent of women will have been infected with genital HPV infection." (http://hpv.emedtv.com/hpv/hpv-statistics.html)

Many strains of HPV have no symptoms - you wouldn't even know you had it until you had an abnormal Pap smear. Some of the strains cause cervical cancer. Has Anna ever had a Pap smear? Does she see an OB/GYN or even a family doctor who does apps every two years or year? If -heaven forbid - she had the kind that causes cancer, would she know in enough time for treatment before it possibly became cancer? Yes, there's an HPV vaccine, but I am almost positive Anna didn't get it (boys get it too in some places, but I'm sure Josh didn't get it either). Religious conservatives were very anti-HPV vaccine when it came out (and I think still are). I hope Anna gets routine Pap smears!

I think Anna must have a ON GYN and have all the pertinent tests, including paps done. I base this on the fact that even though they don't do anything to prevent pregnancy, they do everything to ensure that it can happen.

• Love 1

I was fundamentalist (not like the Duggars Gothard mess) and my church practiced shunning.  If you left and did not repent of your sin (and usually it was a serious sin such as what Josh is involved in, not something minor). 

I'm probably shunned.  :)

• Love 6

On the other hand getting out of the house and to be around people other than the Duggars for a bit and to see her daughter participate could also have been some relief even if it was a wedding.  There was at least some distraction value in going.

And she could also get some decent food at the wedding. (I'm also hoping she secretly hit up the bar somehow but I doubt it.)
  • Love 6

I was remembering that epi where Anna and Smuggar double dated with Amy and her then bf. Then, Anna got to be the special, married, pregnant, snowflake. Now, it was Amy who had a husband and the attsntion on her. That had to suck for Anna.

I can't believe we still don't know where Josh is. I hope he isn't tied up in a dominatrix's basement somewhere, undergoing "aversion therapy."

Josh: "Nike! Nike!"

Dominatrix: "There's no fucking safeword here, bitch!"

• Love 18

I can't believe we still don't know where Josh is. I hope he isn't tied up in a dominatrix's basement somewhere, undergoing "aversion therapy."

Gee, I'm beginning to think that aversion therapy may be one method that could actually be effective for him. Never a first choice, but when the others don't pan out...

• Love 3

Gee, I'm beginning to think that aversion therapy may be one method that could actually be effective for him. Never a first choice, but when the others don't pan out...

Hotsaucing. Down the urethra. 

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 11

Where is Josh? Is he somewhere flipping houses for Jesus?

He's still at RU, I believe. Hopefully, we'll chat a glimpse.

If you want to join the slack chat, try get slack set up as earlier as you can, just to make process a little easier for me. Message me your email address and I will add you to the slack. You can slack at any time.

He's still at RU, I believe. Hopefully, we'll chat a glimpse.

If you want to join the slack chat, try get slack set up as earlier as you can, just to make process a little easier for me. Message me your email address and I will add you to the slack. You can slack at any time.

Sorry for the dumbo question, but is this site for just chatting or for viewing the service too?

Sorry for the dumbo question, but is this site for just chatting or for viewing the service too?

For chatting while we watch the service. We can't chat on the service website because they ban/delete in moments. Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 1

I don't get why they're not shunning Josh, Amish-style. Isn't that what cults do? It would be the best solution for everyone involved.

LOL!! I've never heard the Amish described as a cult!!  However, I could see how people might get that idea...they are rather....clickish.

However, I do think they shunned him, and may still be doing so.   This old brain can't remember where I read it, but I do recall reading somewhere that Michelle or JB said something to the effect of, "Unfortunately, at this time, we have to keep our distance from Josh, because it is too difficult".  Something like that.

Edited by OhioMom

This is the link I used the first time. I think it will just start up anew when the new broadcast starts, but I am not positive.   Try refreshing if it doesn't seem to be working.  

http://livestream.com/northlove/events/3868452

I believe you do have to register an email with RU to post on the live feed, and you can pm CofCinci (just click on her name up above) to register for the live chat people from this board are having on the "SLACK" website.  It's about to start. 

Once a part of the slack, you can read the past messages.

Good to know because I have a bad sinus infection and amb purposing hard to stay awake.

Once a part of the slack, you can read the past messages.

Good to know because I have a bad sinus infection and amb purposing hard to stay awake.

So right when all of this Josh drama happened, I was in the middle of orientation for school! Then grad school happened and I struggled to catch up with how quick everyone was posting. BUT, I did catch up this week to learn about the livefeed, and I was able to join in on the fellowship tonight (I joined late, so I didn't join the separate chatroom people had going on here), but oh my gosh, that was hilarious! The testimonies at the end.... the comments... I was sitting here laughing out loud!

(Fun fact: I decided to be Dr. Mary Whiton Calkins... she was one of the first women to be involved in psychology at a time that was still so dominated by males that 1.) males would drop out of classes if she joined them and 2.) she did everything she needed to do get her doctorate, but the school refused to grant her one. Despite the adversity, she actually ended up doing a lot of great things (like being the first female president for the American Psychological Association), so I thought she was an appropriate person for joining this type of fellowship!) 

Bless you all!

• Love 13

LMAO and I have tears streaming down my face. I am loving the poster names! Oh look Famy Jordan showed up and Vivid star. Totally hilarious!

Sarah Maxwelll showed up looking for a husband. bwhahahhaaa

The stream moved so fast that I don't know who asked RU if they fix homosexuals because they had  a friend named David that needed some fixing. OMG best comment of the night!!

Oh and Bella screaming I want Sinabon! Hilarious!

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 3

So right when all of this Josh drama happened, I was in the middle of orientation for school! Then grad school happened and I struggled to catch up with how quick everyone was posting. BUT, I did catch up this week to learn about the livefeed, and I was able to join in on the fellowship tonight (I joined late, so I didn't join the separate chatroom people had going on here), but oh my gosh, that was hilarious! The testimonies at the end.... the comments... I was sitting here laughing out loud!

(Fun fact: I decided to be Dr. Mary Whiton Calkins... she was one of the first women to be involved in psychology at a time that was still so dominated by males that 1.) males would drop out of classes if she joined them and 2.) she did everything she needed to do get her doctorate, but the school refused to grant her one. Despite the adversity, she actually ended up doing a lot of great things (like being the first female president for the American Psychological Association), so I thought she was an appropriate person for joining this type of fellowship!) 

Bless you all!

You were hilarious !

• Love 1

Ach! How'd you manage to get a surveillance camera in my basement?!

Don't worry. My aversion therapy will kill Joshy with sadistic kindness. I'm his "type," tall and blonde, cleavage and over-the-knee black leather boots, so he WILL LISTEN AND LEARN! Or...face the consequences -- like no more deep-fried crapalicious finger foods or framed photos of mommy dearest to put under his flat, stinky pillow

;)

• Love 1

The devil corrupted the stream! But seriously the one night i remember to show up, they experience technical difficulties.

They always have technical difficulties.  I think they have chimps staffing the technical team.  

Ryan was one of the speakers.  He is a leader at the organization.  I was "interviewed" by our beloved food-addicted Cisco tonight.  He joined the feed as Edward because again, they are so technically challenged, he probably couldn't figure out how to create his own account.

It seem like during the breaks they do a review and ban people.  so we can get away with a lot more at the end.

I was very disappointed that the last speaker, Johnny, former marijuana peddler and cocaine addict saved by the power of the lord, did not use any props this week.  Walking off and on stage to be either in or out of Christ was not as exciting as last week's chair bondage demonstration or the brotherhood of the travelling luggage.  He didn't even go in and out of Christ with enough rhythm to make that exciting. 

• Love 3