Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

I don't see why Anna should be held responsible for Josh's eating habits, he's a grown man not a child. And if the headship says he prefers full fat, then full fat is what will be served.

I agree - Josh controls what he puts in his mouth [using plastic cutlery]. It did seem Anna took some responsibility for Josh's bad eating habits during the weight loss challenge. That's why we have been shown all the cooking & eating healthy segments with them. I'm not condoning his eating habits, but he may be one of those people who just look at food & gains weight. I'm sure he doesn't get much exercise either.

• Love 2
(edited)

I have to go with Josh on this one. I don't want 50% less fat when it comes to ice cream. I want the real thing. Full fat ice cream isnt going to make Josh fatt(er), unless he eats too much of it. I'd rather have a 1/2 cup of the real thing vs a larger portion of the less fat version, and yes, I can taste the difference. It's not as creamy and it's usually full of more sugar. No thank you.

Breyers All Natural Vanilla Bean, please. ❤️

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 14

I noticed in Josh's ice cream birthday party photo that Anna has bought the "full fat" Edy's Ice Cream container...come on, Anna, try a little...Edy's HALF FAT ice cream is delicious and you really can't tell that it's half the fat...She doesn't do a good job of looking out for her husband's fat intake it would seem...I hope Josh is prepared for his eating habits down the line....or Anna is just plain dumb.

Perhaps that's on purpose... feed him junk, enable the poor eating habits, let him have a heart attack at a youngish age. Hell, if I were her, I'd do that.

Phew. Just be careful if you're first trying any sugar free ice cream. I ate some a few years back and have never had such stomach pain. Maybe they've changed the ingredients but wow. It was the Blue Bunny kind at the grocery store. Glad Josh didn't get that! He'd have spent his birthday on a throne. ;)

At first, I really, really wanted Margot for the baby's name, but then I kept reading that kids might make fun and call her maggot. I didn't know what to do but dropped the T because she'll have a hyphenated first name. Long already. I'm trying to picture Anna and Josh announcing their baby Margo/t, and I can't. It doesn't seem to fit the way I see them. I don't know. I can't put into words why it doesn't match for me. I guess I don't see them using a sort of uncommon older name. So, nothing similar to Edith or Beatrice.

I understand what you're saying about the ice cream guys, and I also like the "full fat experience" there..but I tell you, you can't tell the difference. This is the only "light" ice cream I will eat... The classic vanilla is absolutely delicious and is in my freezer right now!

I also grew up eating soft serve Carvel chocolate cones and you can't duplicate the creaminess anywhere else....In NY, the Freezer Fresh truck would come around in the summer multiple times of the day and that was Carvel-in-disguise..I recently found a small chain in central Florida, Twistee Treat, which IMO, IS Carvel also...so, you might say I grew up pretty much an ice cream snob...we had numerous choices...Edy's does a great job with their 1/2 fat version.

I understand and respect your perspective here, guys.

Edy's has the same sugar content, just less the fat.

What if the ultrasound is wrong?

Josh and Anna are ready just in case.    They want to keep with the M theme, but also honor a family they love.    So, they came up with Master-Bates for a boy.

• Love 4

I can tell the difference. I also am allergic to all artificial sweeteners, so that does me in too. It's not the lower fat one is terrible - I can eat a small serving if I'm in someone's home and it's what they serve me - but it's not what I'm interested in seeking out for myself, and certainly not on my birthday. But that's me, so I'm with Josh and Anna on this one.

• Love 3

Cherrio, did Josh and Anna announce M4's name already?

Oh, never mind....I get it!!!!

Lol. cherrio's post went right over my head the first time around. I went back to re-read it after viewing your post & am still laughing.

Steve, the trainer, would have a coronary if he saw that birthday picture. He would probably have a candle on a tasteless energy bar as a healthy substitute. But I say, Hey it's your birthday, go for it.

Florida mom- you stirred up some great memories about the Carvel ice cream cones. We had a Carvel store near us growing up & boy was it a treat to get one of their cones. I still consider their ice cream cake the best- it may be the chocolate crunchies that separate the layers. Luckily, we can still get their ice cream cakes at the grocery stores in our area although they aren't cheap.

Perhaps that's on purpose... feed him junk, enable the poor eating habits, let him have a heart attack at a youngish age. Hell, if I were her, I'd do that.

She probably has a nice insurance policy and is tired of not having  full time nanny with all those kids. lol

Michanette. Double the honor for her grandmother!

Or better yet- MEchellette.  

I'm sure at least Kenzie will be happy to have another girl in the family to help with the chores.  

Or better yet- MEchellette.

Josh: We named here Michelle Annette, after you, mama!

Michelle: *Beaming-bug eyed smile*

Josh: Were gonna have her go by Annette!

Michelle: *eye twitches*

I'd pay to see that.

• Love 5

I noticed in Josh's ice cream birthday party photo that Anna has bought the "full fat" Edy's Ice Cream container...come on, Anna, try a little...Edy's HALF FAT ice cream is delicious and you really can't tell that it's half the fat...She doesn't do a good job of looking out for her husband's fat intake it would seem...I hope Josh is prepared for his eating habits down the line....or Anna is just plain dumb.

Actually its better to eat the full fat than any no fat or half fat...low fat foods are often loaded with sugar :-) I think Anna is trying, she can't control Josh's food intake. And Anna (like Josh) was poorly educated. I'll snark on a lot of things but not full fat ice cream!

There are guys at my work whose wive's pack them a lunch and they eat it at 10 am then go out to eat ( usually fast food) at lunch- I could see Josh doing that. 

• Love 3

Does anyone actually care what crazy name/spelling Smuggar and Anna will use? Maybe Me'Chelle?

Yes and no. I'm interested but just to know what it is. I won't be personally upset or delighted whether they name it Mary or Margarine.

• Love 3

I don't see why Anna should be held responsible for Josh's eating habits, he's a grown man not a child. And if the headship says he prefers full fat, then full fat is what will be served.

Seriously. It's not like she is pushing food into his mouth.

If her cooking is unhealthy, Josh can make himself a meal.

• Love 2

I love Margot with an "t".

Like paying homage to Anne with an "e".

Thank you for the Anne with an "e" for it is my name and appropriately sourced as my big sister was reading a certain series when I was born. 

• Love 3

Thank you for the Anne with an "e" for it is my name and appropriately sourced as my big sister was reading a certain series when I was born.

I love that!

Both of.my brothers named me after their favorite TV commercial.

• Love 2

Since they already have Mac, Mike, and Marc maybe they will go for Mad - Madeyson (or whatever creative spelling they can come up with).  I really hope it is Mary Suzette after grandma and Anna's mom.

And I'm Amye w/a silent 'e'. All my family's name ends in 'e' or 'ie' Bettie, Eddie, Julie, Amelie, Denise...etc

I vote for some form of Mary. I worked w/a Mary Claire, and always thought that was pretty.

• Love 1

Everyone else has to respect their views but heaven forbid they respect someone else's!  I'm pretty disappointed that we have seen this from Anna, I thought that she was better than this.  And as everyone else has said, her kids aren't even at school so it shouldn't matter!

No one is forcing you to celebrate Eid al-Fitr or Eid al-Adha but I think that it is fantastic to teach kids that different people celebrate different holidays.  What on earth is wrong with giving your kids an understanding of world religions??

• Love 8

What on earth is wrong with giving your kids an understanding of world religions??

I think they proselytize to Catholics, and other protestants because it's easier than learning about other religions. Islam is weird and scary to them, and it's abrahamic! What if they had to engage with someone of a completely different religion - like Hinduism and Jinger, they'd be totally lost.

• Love 3

Where I live christianity is not taught is public schools but they do get a dose of Hinduism.  I taught it, in fact.  As well as Buddah and ancient Egyptian.  Now they teach a lot of muslim information.. But we don't have Christian holidays observed, nor any songs sung or anything.  We do get winter and spring break.  No mention of why they are at that time of year.  So I don't think it would be fair where I am to specifically give days off for muslim days.  Although we may have been shamed and cowed so much that nobody would say anything.  

Where I live christianity is not taught is public schools but they do get a dose of Hinduism.  I taught it, in fact.  As well as Buddah and ancient Egyptian.  Now they teach a lot of muslim information.. But we don't have Christian holidays observed, nor any songs sung or anything.  We do get winter and spring break.  No mention of why they are at that time of year.  So I don't think it would be fair where I am to specifically give days off for muslim days.  Although we may have been shamed and cowed so much that nobody would say anything.  

Do you get time off for Christmas?  To you get time off for Easter?  If so, you are getting time off for Christian holidays. 

Kids won't be asked to recite the Islamic creed or learn the Koran.  They will just be told that these particular days are sacred for other people who are Islamic and that they should respect that.  

If it will make parents feel better, spend the time meditating on the Bible and make it to be a Christian holiday for your family.  

• Love 9

Are you offended that the kids in the NYC public schools get Yom Kippur and Passover off as well? Is that fair?

I think we need to admit that NYC is a religious and culturally diverse city, and they have students from ALL backgrounds attending school there. Anna needs to get off of her stupid high horse and stop being so scared of the M word. Most Muslims, just like most Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Atheists, and whatever else, just want to live their lives and raise their kids, and go on vacation, and watch trashy TV at night. They're not all running around trying to convert people to their way of thinking. She needs to go meet some of her neighbors. I bet there just might be a (gasp!) Muslim mom among them raising her (gasp!) Muslim kids. Maybe she'll make a new friend.

• Love 16

Oh no, as I said you get winter and spring break but are not allowed to connect them to the religious days.  Verboten.  No carols, no plays, no santa stuff.  Very careful about that kind of thing.  No decorations of a religious nature and no discussion of anything to do with christianity.  It's a very diverse area and intolerant of hurting anybody's feelings.  No celebrations of the kids birthdays, no nothing for fear of offending or mixing church and state.  But they are so anxious to show how liberal they are that they just might accept muslim days to show how cool they are.

I would think that since Anna's kids don't attend public school, she should not be offended by their holiday calendar. She is free to observe what holidays, religious or otherwise she deemed fit in her own home and family to celebrate.

I find it picky, however to not BE ALLOWED to refer to a school's winter break as Christmas vacation...that is because that is what it was put in place for from the beginning...also the same with Easter vacation..I don't think it should offend anyone. When I went to public school in Brooklyn, NY, the Jewish students took off for the "Jewish holidays"..they simply were absent on those days, and the Christian and Asian students went to school, which, really was a "do nothing" day,, but we didn't make it a big thing...we all knew about their culture, and they knew about ours...We had friends that were both Jewish and Cathollic...they came to our communions and confirmations, and we went to their bar/bat mitzvahs...Our cultures really mixed well back in the 1960s. No problem. It should be the same with any faith or culture...the problem lies, IMO, when one of these groups intends to convert everyone and force the community to live in their culture and or faith...That's the issue, as I see it..The Duggars are free to have as many children as they like, and others should also be able to decide their own families...but they are intruding on those private family matters..and would deem others to not be able to make those decisions for themselves without repercussions... hope I made sense here, as the time change is still bugging me...I wake up groggy. Need more time to adjust as I get older...

• Love 10

I actually agree with Anna. The government goes above and beyond to remove any aspects of Christianity from the school system, but now they're observing Muslim holidays. Obviously this doesn't affect the M'kids, but I don't think Anna is entirely off base with her comments.

• Love 3
The government goes above and beyond to remove any aspects of Christianity from the school system, but now they're observing Muslim holidays.

They're observing Christian holidays as well, though. The timing of Winter Break isn't a coincidence, even if schools don't explicitly refer to it as the Christmas holidays. I suppose one can complain about the latter - "omg why do we have to say happy holidays instead of merry christmas?"/"why are we taking the Christ out of Christmas??" - but I feel like that's nitpicking in an attempt to ignore the fact that Christmas and the Christian religion are still treated as the default in most of American society. And hey, for Winter Break, at least you get more than one day off. 

And how much do you want to bet that Anna doesn't have a problem with school-sanctioned prayer, but only if it's Christian prayer? I bet she'd flip her shit if a Muslim valedictorian wanted to lead the class in Muslim prayer during graduation. So I still think Anna is off base because IMO there is a lot of implicit hypocrisy. 

ETA: Plus, the tweet that Anna retweeted referred to the holiday as "brutal"... 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 12

The main reason school districts close on holidays (other than Christmas, which is the only national and religious holiday celebrated) is because absentee rates make it worthwhile to do so. There are most likely so many students missing Muslim holidays that it makes more sense to close on those days than it does have that many students miss those instruction days and need to make them up. Make up days are extra work for everyone. This is why Jewish holidays were added to the calendar. It's common sense - not political correctness.

• Love 12

I actually agree with Anna. The government goes above and beyond to remove any aspects of Christianity from the school system, but now they're observing Muslim holidays. Obviously this doesn't affect the M'kids, but I don't think Anna is entirely off base with her comments.

The thing is public schools are just that public which means that we either remove all religious holidays from the calendar or include the major ones from Christianity, Judiasm and Islam.

Christianity or any other religious teachings should not be included in any public school setting.

Anna is way off base with this comment.

• Love 13

Observing a holiday does not mean that the school system is teaching those specific religious beliefs. It means that the school will be shut down for the day. They just tack it on to the end of the year along with any extra snow days that need to be made up. You could add a Pagan & Buddhist holiday to the schedule and it wouldn't put much of a dent in the calendar.

Sooooo... wake me up when Beltane or Samhain is officially a recognized holiday. I won't hold my breath! 

I think Anna is just looking for media attention.

I was just on Jessa (Seewald)'s FB or Twitter page where Anna announced that she's having a girl this June/July.  So maybe Anna's just looking for some camera time?

• Love 9