Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

(edited)

Paris, France

Locks of Love Bridge

Ben & Jessa (aww)

jessa-duggar-ben-seewald.jpg?itok=jXquq1

Paris, France

Locks of Love Bridge

Ben & Jessa's lock comes down (bigger awwwww)

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 5

The Duggar Ego is big enough to think that their appearance in Paris caused the locks to come down. Anything for these people to cry "persecustion!!!!!" We know they love them some persecution. 

• Love 6

The Duggar Ego is big enough to think that their appearance in Paris caused the locks to come down. Anything for these people to cry "persecustion!!!!!" We know they love them some persecution. 

The big dumb lock that Ben made is just about the only thing that Ben and Jessa Seewald paid for themselves. TLC picked up the tab for the entire trip because their film crew tagged along.

TTC will never not mean "Trying To Conceive" to me based on its usage on other internet boards.  Of course, it also applies to the married Duggars at any given point in time, so...

In the [However Many] Kids and Moving special, Michelle said that Jim Bob called the house a giant Tinker Toy project, so I assume that is where the nickname came from, but I also think of it as TontiTown House.

Here, all this time I thought it referred to a part of JB.  Tiny TIny............

• Love 3

Many tourists mistakenly believe this is a longstanding Parisian tradition, not realizing the practice only migrated into Paris in late 2008 after affecting cities in Italy and Asia

Leaving aside the history, if this was actually a tradition, it would be a non-christian tradition. So, ?

• Love 3

I think in one episode they said that Jessa was getting "her diploma."  Many, many of these home school kids get a home printed diploma with whatever name the parents gave to their "school."  I don't think it means Jessa did any more than any of the other kids.  They simply used that word in the episode.

Hahaha my husband came home chuckling a few months ago with a totally illegitimate Professional Development Hours certificate that was 100% worthless. He attended a professional networking "brunch and learn" event which basically was a long lunch  with a vendor showing some slides. The elderly owner's wife made certificates on a computer and called them Professional Development Hours. They were pretty and she was proud of herself, but they were not accredited by anything. This is how I picture Jessa's diploma for some reason. 

I do think I remember reading several years ago you could get a HS diploma in AR if you essentially paid school taxes into another district, abided by their curriculum and passed the state tests (which would count) as well as state requirements for graduation. But it wasn't cheap - several thousand dollars per year, plus some travel for the testing.

It's quite possible that it has changed.

You may be accurate, but I can't imagine Jim Bob shelling out two cents for education, or allowing Jessa + a Chaperone (Jinger) to run around traveling for testing.

That trip was the last nice thing Jessa and Ben will get for a long, long time.

Zero tears here. That really, really nice trip, and all the other really, really nice Duggar trips are far more than most adults with jobs get to take for their honeymoons, let alone what a teenage groom and unemployed 21 year old get.

• Love 13
(edited)

Zero tears here. That really, really nice trip, and all the other really, really nice Duggar trips are far more than most adults with jobs get to take for their honeymoons, let alone what a teenage groom and unemployed 21 year old get

Oh, no pity from me, either. I just hope that trip was for the next 10-30 years of misery relative to the life they'd been leading.

Edited by JoanArc

Their love was doomed from the start. I give this "marriage" three to four years, tops.

If you mean, will the honeymoon phase be long over by then, with probably 2-3 kids and no more gravy train, then I agree. If you actually mean you think they'll get divorced, you need to learn more about the Gothard Kool-Aid and what an impossible idea that is.

• Love 5

The Duggars shell out plenty of money on their kids. Josh had the car lot (which he didn't want, but it's hard for me to see that as profitable, given how little time he spent there, and I remember Jim Bob saying it wasn't until Anna came that the paperwork was done on time.). He's bought JD a plane. Jill's midwifery training wouldn't have been cheap, plus I think he paid for the trip to Nepal (although it was partly reimbursed by filming. Not a lot of freebie comps in Nepal). Jinger has very top quality cameras. I don't think he would hesitate to pay for a HS education for one child if that child were taking over the school so "Momma could have a break."

• Love 2

The Duggars shell out plenty of money on their kids. Josh had the car lot (which he didn't want, but it's hard for me to see that as profitable, given how little time he spent there, and I remember Jim Bob saying it wasn't until Anna came that the paperwork was done on time.). He's bought JD a plane. Jill's midwifery training wouldn't have been cheap, plus I think he paid for the trip to Nepal (although it was partly reimbursed by filming. Not a lot of freebie comps in Nepal). Jinger has very top quality cameras. I don't think he would hesitate to pay for a HS education for one child if that child were taking over the school so "Momma could have a break."

I agree. It'd be interesting to know if he actually did this in Jessa's case. And whether it means that he actually has respect in there somewhere for education and an education credential, or only that he thought they might get in trouble with the state if their teacher didn't have one. I think it would have to be the former, oddly enough, since current Arkansas law seems to say this:  "There are no educational requirements for parents/guardians who provide a home school for their children."        http://www.arkansased.gov/public/userfiles/Learning_Services/Charter%20and%20Home%20School/Home%20School-Division%20of%20Learning%20Services/FACT_SHEET.pdf               On the other hand, homeschool law changes a fair amount in states, and usually in the "loosen the regs" direction. Hard to believe that JimBob thinks much of schoolin', though, especially that evil public-school kind.

I also wonder if he didn't do it for Josh as a way of punishing him. I think it has always been clear Josh would have wanted the education, but JB didn't offer this, obviously. I can see Jana, JD and Jill not caring. I think Jessa wanted it to get out of the kitchen and more domestic duties (which I totally understand.)

• Love 2

I have major camera envy over Jinger's lense collection. It seems that JB has funded each child to pursue one passion. What was Jessa's, other than the possible HS diploma?

I have major camera envy over Jinger's lense collection. It seems that JB has funded each child to pursue one passion. What was Jessa's, other than the possible HS diploma?

She seemed to be into makeup and fashion.

• Love 1

I still don't believe that tlc pays for their trips. I know tlc pays for the crew to go but I'm sure they don't pay for the duggars. Tlc would go broke paying for all these people. I thought I seen where the crew said it once that they don't pay for them either..

• Love 1

She needs to invest in a good dermatologist.

They all do. Acne isn't uncommon and it's something that some people deal with for nearly a lifetime, although I will say that both the male and female Duggars have some strong hormones, from pre-pubescency all the way through young adulthood. Jana seems to be the exception, her skin is generally lovely, or she does visit the dermatologist and looks after her skin diligently.

They all do. Acne isn't uncommon and it's something that some people deal with for nearly a lifetime, although I will say that both the male and female Duggars have some strong hormones, from pre-pubescency all the way through young adulthood. Jana seems to be the exception, her skin is generally lovely, or she does visit the dermatologist and looks after her skin diligently.

They look to me like they do not shower daily too, so they might not have any clue about hygiene. 

• Love 4

I agree that I don't think they are, well, clean. And while I think they have figured out what makeup might look good under filming lights, that's not the same as makeup to wear every day or good makeup that can improve your skin.

I am certainly not an expert on Arkansas homeschooling laws, but I have home educated all my children through the 8th grade in a nearby state.  Some have attended public school for high school and some have not.  In my state, there are several options for dealing with graduation and diplomas.  One way is to register with a private school and meet their requirements for graduation.  In this instance, the student receives a diploma from the private school and they also produce the transcripts in accordance with their graduation requirements.  A lot of parents that I know "shop around" for private schools that have different requirements.  For example, some parents are completely against standardized testing at all.  The school that we registered with required testing for all 4 years of high school.  Essentially my children that graduated through homeschooling (my youngest graduated just a few weeks ago) received their diplomas and transcripts through this school after meeting all of their academic requirements and minimum test scores.  What it is "worth" is what any higher educational institution believes that it is worth.  I will say that in accessing state financial aid, all students whether homeschooled or public schooled, are treated equally because it is all based on their ACT/SAT test scores and all of my children have been equally successful both in gaining admission to college and doing the coursework once they get there.  

As an aside, I don't know how much stock anyone puts into high school diplomas.  My oldest son attended public high school with another young man who was extremely intelligent and highly motivated.  After Christmas break of his junior year he never returned because he had been accepted to Stanford.  He never graduated from high school, but Stanford didn't seem to care.  He had great test scores.  It was kind of a shock and I always felt rather bad for him because while he probably had nothing further to gain academically from high school, he really seemed to enjoy it.  He was an editor on the paper, was a class officer, etc.  

• Love 2

I still don't believe that tlc pays for their trips. I know tlc pays for the crew to go but I'm sure they don't pay for the duggars. Tlc would go broke paying for all these people. I thought I seen where the crew said it once that they don't pay for them either..

No way will JB she'll out all that money on trips

• Love 2

It's true that once you reach a certain level, the college's don't really care. It was true of my husband who graduated HS at 16, and that was only because his school district refused to bump him again and after his father died his working class mother didn't know how to fight the system. But he'd essentially graduated by 12.

But that isn't the case with any of the Duggars by a long shot.

A lot of product placement happens in those travel videos; I'm sure TLC gets advertisers to pick up the tab to have their stuff shown on the show. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I am certainly not an expert on Arkansas homeschooling laws, but I have home educated all my children through the 8th grade in a nearby state.  Some have attended public school for high school and some have not.  In my state, there are several options for dealing with graduation and diplomas.  One way is to register with a private school and meet their requirements for graduation.  In this instance, the student receives a diploma from the private school and they also produce the transcripts in accordance with their graduation requirements.  A lot of parents that I know "shop around" for private schools that have different requirements.  For example, some parents are completely against standardized testing at all.  The school that we registered with required testing for all 4 years of high school.  Essentially my children that graduated through homeschooling (my youngest graduated just a few weeks ago) received their diplomas and transcripts through this school after meeting all of their academic requirements and minimum test scores.  What it is "worth" is what any higher educational institution believes that it is worth.  I will say that in accessing state financial aid, all students whether homeschooled or public schooled, are treated equally because it is all based on their ACT/SAT test scores and all of my children have been equally successful both in gaining admission to college and doing the coursework once they get there.  

As an aside, I don't know how much stock anyone puts into high school diplomas.  My oldest son attended public high school with another young man who was extremely intelligent and highly motivated.  After Christmas break of his junior year he never returned because he had been accepted to Stanford.  He never graduated from high school, but Stanford didn't seem to care.  He had great test scores.  It was kind of a shock and I always felt rather bad for him because while he probably had nothing further to gain academically from high school, he really seemed to enjoy it.  He was an editor on the paper, was a class officer, etc.  

In general, most college admissions offices are looking for the applicant's "ability to benefit" from a college education. No one is looking for students to reject, but at the same time no one wants to put an individual into a situation where there's a strong likelihood of failure. While it could never be called a common occurrence, students without official high school diplomas or GEDs have been admitted to my own university when they've proven themselves capable of benefitting from college in other ways. Sometimes they've taken the SAT, ACT, various CLEP exams etc. Sometimes they have documented proof of real-life experience, usually work. We've also admitted students to both undergraduate and graduate art programs based on their creative portfolios alone; students with no undergraduate courses at all have been admitted to MFA programs in particular. In fact, this practice is most common in the creative fields. If you're Beethoven or Ansel Adams, we're not too worried if you have a BA in music composition or a BFA in photographic illustration or fine art photography...

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 4

Agree with above poster - if anyone has experienced or watched someone "breaking" from a harsh religious sect it stereotypically goes down one of two ways. The person goes "wild" and tries out all the "sins" they can in the shortest period of time possible. Or the person has a sort of bunker mentality that means they come out slowly, make some kind of dumb mistakes, say some really mean things, and it takes awhile and is kind of dull.

The first may make for good TV but is really hard on the person. The second makes terrible TV but often, over time, lands the person in a good place. Cameras are only going to make either scenario worse.

I always thought the kids they showed on Breaking Amish seemed kind of slow and made some horrible choices, like get a really fast car and a smokin' video game system instead of a decent place to live. Even the ones who wanted to go to high school had problems because they had no transcripts or test scores. Your post makes that show a bit more understandable.

People keep saying that Jessa could 'do hair' but I'm not sure if they know what that implies. In order to become a licensed beautician in the state of Arkansas she'd have to got to cosmetology school.

• Love 4

I doubt if TLC pays for very much now, but those trips are definitely comped by hotels, departments of tourism, amusement parks, etc., basically anyone providing a services is trading for publicity on 19 Kids. 

I think they're probably prone to acne, and they also are not clean, wear too much makeup and hair product and have terrible diets. It all compounds together, and they have bad skin. I shudder to think of how often they don't wash as well as they should and sleep on pillows that aren't laundered enough. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Truthfully, it could very well be that big-ass-honkin lock that Ben custom made for Jessa that made the powers that be in Paris decide they'd better stop the stupid tradition before more people attach great big ugly locks on the bridge until that last big stupid lock that puts it over the edge and causes the bridge to collapse.  Maybe we can thank Ben for that.

Jessa-Duggar-Ben-Seewald-Paris-Padlock.j

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 8

I doubt if TLC pays for very much now, but those trips are definitely comped by hotels, departments of tourism, amusement parks, etc., basically anyone providing a services is trading for publicity on 19 Kids. 

I think they're probably prone to acne, and they also are not clean, wear too much makeup and hair product and have terrible diets. It all compounds together, and they have bad skin. I shudder to think of how often they don't wash as well as they should and sleep on pillows that aren't laundered enough.

I think that the older kids at least probably got used to not showering or bathing daily when they lived in a house with 1 bathroom for 16 people. I can't imagine that their hot water heater was up to the task of supplying 16 showers or baths a day. The girls also have hair in their faces all the time, which can be a major contributor to acne (just ask any teenager who ever sported 80s bangs).

• Love 6

They do. What TLC pulls in from advertisers makes airfare a mere drop in the bucket for them, a production expense. Their Very Special Episodes have higher than normal viewership, so it's to their advantage. And as others have said, every time they feature a store or restaurant, it's free advertising for them and they get everything for free.

I always thought the kids they showed on Breaking Amish seemed kind of slow and made some horrible choices, like get a really fast car and a smokin' video game system instead of a decent place to live. Even the ones who wanted to go to high school had problems because they had no transcripts or test scores. Your post makes that show a bit more understandable.

People keep saying that Jessa could 'do hair' but I'm not sure if they know what that implies. In order to become a licensed beautician in the state of Arkansas she'd have to got to cosmetology school.

Breaking Amish was 100 percent staged and scripted, though. I'm not saying it doesn't really happen that way, but they completely made up back stories and plot lines that had no basis in reality.

• Love 3

I think that was perhaps once true, but I'm really skeptical that a jewelry store in NW Arkansas is going to get so much business from being on the show that they comped Ben a custom made diamond ring. I think after the Gosselins, a lot of the freebies went out the window.

And there was a pretty decent show on National Geographic called Amish Out of Order that showed Amish leaving various orders (some stricter than others.) One aspect that is hard for them is that many are taught that the English are so wicked that we drink, do drugs and drive cars wildly, party, don't take life seriously and are never religious. So when they want to try "being English" they do the stereotype they've been taught. Which enormous numbers of us aren't do (and some of us never did.)

• Love 1

I don't think the jewelry store gave Ben a freebie but they did give him some sort of discount. There's no way Ben could have afforded custom design work on his salary. The mark up on diamonds is ridiculous so the store could have given a substantial discount and still made a profit.

• Love 3
(edited)

I think there's a quid pro quo. I just don't think the comps are as generous as they once were. For instance, yes, Jessa probably got her wedding dress comped, but it was last year's dress and likely was a floor model from some store. I doubt that it was THAT store in particular. It was likely a comp from Allure and that was the store that carried Allure.

Now Jill's gown might have been comped since it was in DC, (well, Fredericksburg) and was offering a "princess experience" package which is a profit in and above what you make over the hefty mark-up over the dress. That made sense.

Edited by GEML

I'm actually kind of worried about Jessa, honestly. All of this crap comes out and she's about halfway through her pregnancy...the stress level must be enormous. I swear, I wish it were possible for Jessa and Ben to sue her parents for not protecting her as a minor...and Jim Bob and Michelle would have to give up a portion of their fortune to all of their daughters affected by the tragedy. Then she and Ben can go live elsewhere, how they want to on their own terms, not the terms her parents decided for her. 

One area I was most very impressed with Jessa was how well she ran that "flea market sale" or whatever they called it, the first time we briefly saw Ben on the show. She seems very organized and has a decent head on her shoulders, if only she'd have been allowed to be educated the way most women her age have been, she'd have so much more freedom to make decisions. That said, I really hope she can pursue higher education at some point, as well as Ben also will hopefully attain a bachelor's degree. The more they can be free of the Duggars, the better. I'm a lot more worried about the two of them being dependent on the Duggars than Jill and Derrick, since Derrick has had the Walmart job for awhile now.

• Love 2

And let's face it - they were almost certainly counting on fan gifts for the baby, and money from a PEOPLE spread and their own birth episode. It's unlikely they will find any kind of work that pays so well. Plus, I think I remember reading that the production company that sells to TLC only gets paid if the show's air, so they may or may not be paid for work they have already done, along with the crew, which IS discouraging (and part of the risk anyone in the arts and entertainment industry takes.)

If Jessa had been victimized and had come to terms with it and this results in nothing more than loss of income at her most lucrative time, I imagine she is very, very, angry. I'll be honest - I would be.

• Love 13

They do. What TLC pulls in from advertisers makes airfare a mere drop in the bucket for them, a production expense. Their Very Special Episodes have higher than normal viewership, so it's to their advantage. And as others have said, every time they feature a store or restaurant, it's free advertising for them and they get everything for free.

Yup. If you see a logo, either that company paid for their logo to be shown and/or they comped whatever the item it is with the logo. Same goes for brand names, mentions, visits, etc. If they film inside a restaurant? Explicit permission will have been given first, whether it's immediate or days (or more) ahead of time. If you are seeing them visit some kind of location/museum/event/whatever, there was permission given ahead of time and very likely some kind of money exchanged, or at the least, the visit is comped. If they go on a trip? At the very least, part of it is paid for. The Duggars aren't going, hey we're going to travel to England so come along TLC! It's planned ahead of time. This goes for any reality show. Whether they pay 100% of the trips, who knows, but it wouldn't surprise me. I wonder if people think its just a coincidence that after getting reality shows, and becoming known, families like the Duggars and the Gosselins just happen to start going on more extravagant trips?

• Love 4

Truthfully, it could very well be that big-ass-honkin lock that Ben custom made for Jessa that made the powers that be in Paris decide they'd better stop the stupid tradition before more people attach great big ugly locks on the bridge until that last big stupid lock that puts it over the edge and causes the bridge to collapse.  Maybe we can thank Ben for that.

Jessa-Duggar-Ben-Seewald-Paris-Padlock.j

Maybe they can return it and Boob can wear it as a nose ring.  

• Love 3

And let's face it - they were almost certainly counting on fan gifts for the baby, and money from a PEOPLE spread and their own birth episode. It's unlikely they will find any kind of work that pays so well. Plus, I think I remember reading that the production company that sells to TLC only gets paid if the show's air, so they may or may not be paid for work they have already done, along with the crew, which IS discouraging (and part of the risk anyone in the arts and entertainment industry takes.)

If Jessa had been victimized and had come to terms with it and this results in nothing more than loss of income at her most lucrative time, I imagine she is very, very, angry. I'll be honest - I would be.

Putting aside the anger that either of the married girls may have, I have wondered how the husbands feel about their virgin wives being sexually molested for over a year?  They both vowed to wait until marriage to kiss. Knowing that their brother in law touched them before they did must work on their minds. I wonder if it changed the dynamic between them and Josh.

• Love 8

I've never thought there weren't previous arrangements made or there weren't reduced prices or some things weren't comped (as I mentioned the differences between perhaps how Jill and Jessa's wedding dresses were comped.). But I don't think that just because X is shown or mentioned in the credits that it's a freebie, or that the production company is paying for everything. Trip episodes are often "specials" and pay extra, as they are multiple segments and longer, so Jim Bob has just as much incentive to do them (with some comps) as the production company does.

As far as Jessa Blessa's hobbies, she likes to work out. She and Ben also make YouTube videos, which I'm sure you guys knew about. Though they could probably actually sustain themselves for a while by making YouTube videos at the height of her marketability if the show gets cancelled. They could be ~family vloggers~, like the Shaytards but with an extra heavy dose of Christ.

Yes, it is.  This was discussed quite a bit already in the Megyn Kelly run-up thread, but now that we've locked that, this is a good place to continue discussing it. 

Reposting this note here since we've now closed the Speculation thread for the Megyn Kelly special:

Survivors react to abuse in many different ways. Defending their abusers is certainly one of them. It may be shocking, it may make you angry, but it happens - remember survivors feel many different things and it can be hard to process all of those feelings. Their environment probably does not help matters.

It's hard to draw a bright line rule on this, but we're going to err on the side of hiding stuff that we feel is attacking the survivors, or editing out things we feel go too far.  Meanwhile, everyone take a DEEP BREATH, and remember that Jessa (and Jill, and others) suffered abuse.

• Love 4

I do hope that Jessa is doing well thoroughout her pregnancy with the reveal about Josh. Stress can certainly affect ones health.

I'm starting to feel sorry for both Jill and Jessa. Jill's first birth was probably pretty dramatic, and now Jessa has to go through all of this, when it should be the happiest time of her life?

All these girls had to look forward to was marriage and childbirth. They both watched their mother get fawned over because she was pregnant, and now they're just here. Dealing with all of this shit.

And they probably don't even know how to deal, this is probably their first big disappointment. (I don't know how they feel about the way their parents handled the molestation).

Makes me wonder if they're reconsidering the gothard lifestyle. I hope they aren't blaming themselves.

• Love 7

If he's not a child molester, and you say you are one of his victims, then what are you saying you're a victim of? 

Yeah I know it doesn't make sense! Cause he is a molester and you are victim Jessa.

• Love 14