Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I don't think I've ever heard of "Radical Chic" -- the only book I could think of by Tom Wolfe was "Bonfire of the Vanities" and I just couldn't make any of those words fit the clue.  Heh.

However, just a couple of weeks ago, I saw the movie based on the book "A Man Called Ove" so I got that one right away (though I would have mispronounced Ove).  Good movie, too.  I also got Afghanistan, black holes and Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. 

• Love 5

FJ was a word that is a chemistry term, a math quantity, and something drastic in politics, that was also in the title of a 1970 Tom Wolfe book. Not sure if I'm remembering exactly correct but that's the info that was given. I had never heard of the book, and couldn't come up with anything in time. I had total faith that Cindy would get it, though! So glad to see her come back and win. The guy in the middle bugged me.

I also got the TS black hole, and the missed DD - but I can't remember what that one was at the moment.

• Love 4

That chick on the end had already lost me with the finger guns and Mr. Miyagi put me right over the edge.  And she was so confident about her terrible answer too.

I got the TS of Stephen King but probably would have been ruled incorrect as I said "my beloved" for the answer.  I am the fangirliest of fangirls when it comes to the esteemed Mr. King.

Aww five days.  That makes me so sad, but I am happy for her that she got to do something she loved and also excel at it.

• Love 9

I got the TS of Stephen King but probably would have been ruled incorrect as I said "my beloved" for the answer.  I am the fangirliest of fangirls when it comes to the esteemed Mr. King.

You and me both, mojoween. I was so surprised that nobody got it (and was yelling at the TV… "C'mon! What's the matter with you people?!"). I thought "Mr. Mercedes" was very well-known (unlike the more generically named "End of Watch").

Team Cindy all the way! I had a bad feeling today was going to be her losing game, but she fought back. Kristin started out strong but she sure faded fast.

• Love 3

I actually started loudly clapping when Cindy got that DD and at the end when she won.  I, too, hope that they acknowledge her during the TOC.  Jonathan didn't bug me but Kristin did with her hand gestures and her hipster hot sauce bar at her wedding.

I only got Wolf Hall and (Omaha World) Herald.

I got "Bonfire of the Vanities" stuck in my brain for FJ and couldn't think of anything else.  I never heard of "Radical Chic".

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, secnarf said:

FJ was a word that is a chemistry term, a math quantity, and something drastic in politics, that was also in the title of a 1970 Tom Wolfe book. Not sure if I'm remembering exactly correct but that's the info that was given. I had never heard of the book, and couldn't come up with anything in time. I had total faith that Cindy would get it, though! So glad to see her come back and win. The guy in the middle bugged me.

I also got the TS black hole, and the missed DD - but I can't remember what that one was at the moment.

The DD was Afghanistan, easy if you've read "The Kite Runner."  I got several of the above mentioned TS's and thought of "radical" at the last moment. The word that I fixated on was "acid," as in "The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test."

Hooray for Cindy!

• Love 5

I was actually sentient enough in 1970 to have read the piece in New York magazine that had "Radical Chic" in its title--that wasn't the whole title, but I'm too lazy to look it up.  It was about a party that Leonard Bernstein held in his apartment for the Black Panthers.  Then there was a book called Radical Chic & Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers, combining that piece and another one.  So if the clue said there was a book called Radical Chic, I don't think that's strictly true.  (I don't think it did, did it?)

But she got it anyway.  When she was doing so badly at the beginning, I figured she'd finally hit the wall.  This is a pretty impressive display of what the human will can do.  Yay, Cindy!

• Love 3

The only Tom Wolfe book title I could think of was "The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby" and I knew that wasn't the answer.  But it blotted out all other Wolfe titles for me.

Cindy sounded like she was really starting to fade toward the end, but then made a rousing comeback! I was cheering out loud.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

That "do or do not, there is no try," then that chick guessing Mr. Miyagi? I was like WHAAAAAAA?!

I knew it was Yoda, but I didn't think Mr Miyagi was a bad guess.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I don't think I've ever heard of "Radical Chic" -- the only book I could think of by Tom Wolfe was "Bonfire of the Vanities" and I just couldn't make any of those words fit the clue.  Heh.

I could only think of "The Right Stuff" and "Bonfire of the Vanities." I've never heard of "Radical Chic" (though I thought when Alex said it that it was "Radical Sheik".)

I got Afghanistan and Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. 

I was so worried for Cindy. She seemed tired. Loved her comeback.

• Love 4

Kristin bugged me right from the get go.  I was hoping that if Cindy had to lose today it would be to guy in the middle.  But lo and behold, she pulled it off.  Go Cindy!

I got Wolf Hall, Stephen King, and A Man Called Ove (I don't think Alex pronounced it correctly.  I've read that it's like Oveigh).

I have never heard of the answer to FJ.  I'm so proud of Cindy for getting it.

And I had to add, when Cindy bet it all on the DD, and got it right, Kristin did not look happy.  Another reason I rooted against her.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I was actually sentient enough in 1970 to have read the piece in New York magazine that had "Radical Chic" in its title--that wasn't the whole title, but I'm too lazy to look it up.  It was about a party that Leonard Bernstein held in his apartment for the Black Panthers.  Then there was a book called Radical Chic & Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers, combining that piece and another one.  So if the clue said there was a book called Radical Chic, I don't think that's strictly true.  (I don't think it did, did it?)

But she got it anyway.  When she was doing so badly at the beginning, I figured she'd finally hit the wall.  This is a pretty impressive display of what the human will can do.  Yay, Cindy!

It said the word was found in the book title, so the clue was correct.

Man, I can't believe Cindy is still going!  I think even if we didn't know her full story now, it would be apparent that she wasn't well during the taping. She really looks like she's just pulling out everything she has. 

I guessed "radical" at the last second, not sure if I would have had time to write it down. 

• Love 2

I don't recall that any contestant ever gave any winnings to charity before Cindy (could be wrong but don't think so). 

It doesn't probably count as a charity but Ken Jennings said he was going to tithe to the Mormon Church from what he won.  What I am curious about is if Jeopardy is going to give the money directly to the charity so that her family doesn't have to pay taxes on it.  Not that I would think they were bad for not doing it that way...I'm just wondering.  Aw, she never did get to see the final check though - you don't get the money until 3 months after your show aired.

How did that contestant know the XYZ Affair - it was before his time.

• Love 5

My DVR did not tape Jeopardy last night  . I work during the time it is on . After seeing about the Redskins , I assume it is because the local ABC station is in North  Carolina, and the Panthers play . 

I had to come here to see how Cindy did , and am glad she is still winning and going strong . 

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, halfpint ingals said:

My DVR did not tape Jeopardy last night  . I work during the time it is on . After seeing about the Redskins , I assume it is because the local ABC station is in North  Carolina, and the Panthers play . 

I had to come here to see how Cindy did , and am glad she is still winning and going strong . 

Wow -- I'm in the Charlotte market and thankfully had Jeopardy. 

• Love 1

A few years ago, one of the contestants in the ToC said she donated her winnings to some charity.  She was an older woman, from the PNW I think, and everyone said Alex had a crush on her......

• Love 1

Kristen bugged me from her finger popping entrance and then being a Yankees fan didn't help.  She did well in the first half but then seemed to stall out once she got her first wrong answers.  I was of two minds for Cindy making TOC - I was so happy she won but it makes it so much sadder that she won't be around for TOC.  I know the information is available somewhere but do we know which specific cancer charity she chose for her winnings.  I agree it would be great if the Jeopardy fans made donations in her name.  It might help her loved ones at this difficult time of year. 

• Love 3

The concept of the Tony Bennett category annoyed me to no end.  It took him precious minutes to read even the intro.  I fast forwarded when it was the only category left, and I think was called before anyone chose a clue.  We'd still be sitting in front of our tvs  if he read every clue.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, mojoween said:

He's definitely my favorite writer, and I got the TS, but I didn't care for Mr. Mercedes, so I didn't read the other books in the series.

6 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

It doesn't probably count as a charity but Ken Jennings said he was going to tithe to the Mormon Church from what he won.

Tithing is pretty much expected by his church (and a number of others), so I'd say it's more dues than charity (in my secular opinion).

4 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

The concept of the Tony Bennett category annoyed me to no end.  It took him precious minutes to read even the intro.

I turned to the mister and said "and are all the clues going to be this slow?" Then I fast forwarded through the promo for his show. I may be an apostate, but I'm not wowed by Mr. Bennett or his duets with famous young artists. I kind of neutral when it comes to him - but not when it comes to clues spoken slowly. I hate that.

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I turned to the mister and said "and are all the clues going to be this slow?"

When he first spoke, before the clues were chosen, he was very slow and I was afraid it would be awful, but the clues themselves were read fairly fast. I am very fond of Tony Bennett but I'm still glad they left his category until the last.

• Love 4

They got through all the Tony Bennett clues, which I believe was a contractual obligation. Notice they were not able to finish the DJ round.

I'm sure tons of champs have donated some of their winnings to charity, but I'd be surprised to learn of any others who have donated 100% (celebs aside, of course).

• Love 2

I was sure Cindy's luck and stamina had run out, but ... hooray!  What a wonderful contestant she was.

I'm always surprised when things that are easy for me are triple stumpers for the much smarter people on the show. I scared my cats by yelling "Daphne DuMaurier!" and "Henry VIII!" at them.

• Love 5

I really thought Cindy was done for. FJ was fairly easy and I was sure that Julie (or Julia, I was too busy rooting for Cindy to notice) got it right.  What a fighter!

Im going to cry so hard when it's over. 

• Love 4

I haven't seen the episode yet and I hate Jeopardy spoilers, but I just had to come here to find out if Cindy won tonight! The suspense was killing me. I'm so glad she pulled through again.

I feel like the longer she lasts, the harder it is going to be to see her go.

• Love 6

It was intense, secnarf. The middle contestant (Julia or maybe Julie… it seems we've all already forgotten) was a very good player and had a large lead going into Final. A true nail-biter. 

I had no idea on FJ. But I saw Cindy writing almost immediately and I thought, She knows it! 

In case anyone has yet to see the CNN story

• Love 3

Wow, Cindy! just keeps going. It's amazing what she's been able to do. I too figured she was done today when Julia had such a big lead. Julia should have tried to put it away on the last DD with Henry Miller. Worst case scenario, she's still in the lead going into the final. Glad she didn't. 

Maryland was an instant get for me too. They only mentioned it 100 times during the swimming coverage. 

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

I'm always surprised when things that are easy for me are triple stumpers for the much smarter people on the show. I scared my cats by yelling "Daphne DuMaurier!" and "Henry VIII!" at them.

Me too.  Especially Daphne Du Maurier, with Rebecca right in the clue.  And I thought it was fairly well known that Henry VIII was very handsome as a young man. Those two, along with Holy Roman Empire, were my ts's for the game.

I did not get FJ.  I knew the male athlete would be Michael Phelps but I had no idea what state he was from.

I was thrilled that Cindy won again.  Julia in the middle was sharp and very likable but I was still pulling for Cindy.

• Love 7

Hooray for Cindy!!  I'm now actively rooting against the other contestants no matter how good they might be.  Julia's interview was too long.  When the category names are long, just say one or two keys words, like Cindy does.  Can you tell I'm a fan?  She can do no wrong, at this point, even if she starts at the bottom of categories and board jumps from now on.

I got Henry VIII, Ted Stevens, orientation, and James Barrie.

For some strange reason,  I thought Michael Phelps was from Washington.  It doesn't matter because Cindy knew it!

• Love 8
39 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Wow - she did it!! I thought she wasn't going to win except of course she always gets FJ when the others don't. 

I got FJ because of Michael Phelps. 

Sames!  As soon as I saw the nine by one man and one woman I knew it had to be Maryland.  I wasn't sure if the woman was Ledecky or Biles though because I'm not sure where either of them are from.

I love that she keeps knocking FJ out of the park.

I said buzzard instead of vulture and wonder if they would have accepted it.

I was not a fan of Julia because of her buzzer assault.  And that lady on the end seemed sour.  And neither of them were Cindy.

• Love 4
Just now, Prevailing Wind said:

I just wonder when someone finally does beat Cindy, how awful they might feel finding out she was dying.  I bet it's a very hollow win.

I thought about that too. It's a bittersweet victory especially when you know what she was essentially fighting for charity. 

I still am in awe of what Cindy! has been able to accomplish. I had metastatic cancer 7 years ago and went through chemotherapy and radiation. I used Jeopardy! to try to keep my mind sharp and it certainly helped, but it took a lot of me then and still does even today. The general lethargy associated with it and the chemobrain is brutal. That amazing woman had incredible resolve to be able to perform at that level given the condition she was in and all the treatments she had gotten. 

• Love 13

When Julia was misusing the buzzer I started to think about how awesome Cindy is to still be able to have the capability to ring in quickly.  I mean, everything she is doing is inspiring.

Here's the thing.  Having cancer doesn't make you a nice person.  But when you have cancer and are by all appearances a sweetheart with a kicking cardigan game?  You instantly become rootable.

• Love 17

I know Julia was flailing with the buzzer but it didn't really bother me.  It seemed like she had a great personality and she was really a good sport.  She clapped for Cindy and congratulated her at the end.  Of course, I'm happy Cindy won again.  What an inspiration! 

I only remember getting Daphne du Maurier.  I had no idea what she looked like so the picture didn't help (and I didn't need it).   Cindy wrote down FJ quickly so I figured she knew it (again).   She is amazing!

• Love 5

I'll admit that I check another forum before watching each episode to find out the outcome of Cindy's games. I need to be prepared. She's a powerhouse and an inspiration. 

I screwed up FJ because I knew Ledecky was at Stanford, and I knew there was an Olympic winner from my hometown area in California. Oops. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Pallida said:

I screwed up FJ because I knew Ledecky was at Stanford, and I knew there was an Olympic winner from my hometown area in California. Oops. 

I knew Phelps was one of the two, but I had no idea where he was from - I haven't spent two minutes thinking about him through all of his time in the games.  I thought California, too.  Boo, hiss.

• Love 2

I was saying to the mister that normally I'd be rooting for the woman in the middle, she was a great contestant. I thought she was going to win, and I was already worried about how she'd feel about having been the one to beat Cindy, now that the story is out.

I got pretty choked up when Cindy actually won.

• Love 6

I feel like Cindy really is the ideal contestant - she starts at the top (and nearly always the top left), except for when she was in the red and needed to rack up money fast. She is quick and pleasant and has a good sense of humour, doesn't have any verbal or physical tics that always seem to bother people so much, she has quite a broad knowledge base, she doesn't cut Alex off, she has short and sweet stories, etc. Even if we didn't know her backstory, I suspect she would be pretty well-liked.

I would hate to be the person that eventually beats her, but someone has to. I'm really sad we won't end up seeing her in the tournament of champions. I wonder what her thoughts were about her experience on Jeopardy.

• Love 9

I too thought Cindy was done for.  I thought the FJ was easy enough that all three would get it, but of course, it's only easy if you know it--I've been on the wrong side of "easy" trivia plenty of times.  

This was one of those times that I wish we could see all three contestants as they reveal each answer--I'd love to have seen Cindy's reaction when Julia's incorrect answer was revealed

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, Scott said:

I too thought Cindy was done for.  I thought the FJ was easy enough that all three would get it, but of course, it's only easy if you know it--I've been on the wrong side of "easy" trivia plenty of times.  

I thought it was super easy but both my parents knew it was Phelps and Laedeky they just thought they were from California.

I really wonder who Julia was thinking about when she answered Ohio.

• Love 1