Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

FJ was another instaget for me, and I don't even follow country music.  But I think Dolly's pretty cool.

I was glad they finally got to the Virginia flora and fauna category -- I'm from Virginia, so I knew I could run it, and I did!  :)  In addition to the TS of cypress in that category, I got Sydney and Sandra Day O'Connor.

Neil's rocking makes me think of a toddler who really really needs to pee.

• Love 3

They didn't have to finish the clue for me to know it was Dolly. 

I like Neil, and I actually don't notice any rocking.  Strange.  I can't remember the runner-up guys name, but he was a very good sport about losing for one dollar.  I ran the flora and fauna category, too, including the cypress

• Love 8

Congrats to Neil, but I liked Hardy, too.  I liked him even more at the end when he got a big grin on his face and applauded for Neil.

I got Sandra Day O'Connor and Lauren Bacal.

FJ was an instaget even though I know very little about country music.

• Love 8
Just now, Browncoat said:

Neil's rocking makes me think of a toddler who really really needs to pee.

We should probably start getting used to overgrown toddlers in general.  (Although I have to say Neil didn't strike me that way, but I often just listen rather than look.)

I was really glad that J! wasn't bumped by the festivities in my market.

I think Hardy said "silica" rather than "silicon," and I think silica is another term for silicon dioxide.  But maybe not.  He seemed like a nice guy.  I was afraid he thought he'd won at the end, but I guess he was just being a great sport.  It has to hurt to lose by a dollar.

• Love 8

It took me a second to get Dolly Parton. I don't know too much about her music, but didn't she do a song about her coat of many colors? Anyway, that was a clue to me. 

I got Ivan the Terrible and cypress.

I liked Hardy, too, though I wish he enunciated better or maybe just spoke more slowly. I noticed that the woman's last name was Harding. Harding, Hardy. I like noticing these things.

• Love 4

We should probably start getting used to overgrown toddlers in general. 

Too true!

I refused to turn on my TV today so Jeopardy! tonight was a welcome relief. FJ was an instaget, an amazing instaget, and I always get instagets, I'm the best instaget getter on the planet, better than that Jenners guy, who was amazing but I'm better...sorry, too much election.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

On their putting "women" on certain categories, do you think they might be trying to narrow down the scope of the category?  That's the only reason I can see for being so separatist in labeling us.

I could maybe buy this argument if the clues didn't tend to use gender-specific pronouns and if they had "men" categories. I think they actually did do a "men" category recently, but that's the only one I can recall ever - it's nowhere near as common as "women" categories.

• Love 3

Honestly, what bothers me on the gender specific categories is that they shouldn't be using a noun to modify another noun.  If they're making it gender specific, it should be "Female" Singers not "Women" Singers.  It ruffles my feathers about grammar more than it does about gender equality!  (Although that too!)

• Love 12
14 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Honestly, what bothers me on the gender specific categories is that they shouldn't be using a noun to modify another noun.  If they're making it gender specific, it should be "Female" Singers not "Women" Singers.  It ruffles my feathers about grammar more than it does about gender equality!  (Although that too!)

I've always hated that, too! It just sounds WRONG.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I've posted about this before, but will share again because when this issue comes up I think about it. My license plate is a specialty one that says Women Veterans. While I hate it because "women" is a noun, I love it because I haven't gotten a ticket since I put it on my car. 

I really liked Hardy and was rooting hardy for him.

I'm not into country music, but I remember seeing ads for a Coat of Many Colors movie on Lifetime or Hallmark or one of those types of channels, so I got it before Alex finished reading.

We haven't had a long-term champ since Cindy, have we?

• Love 5

Coat of Many Colors was actually an ABC (or NBC--definitely a broadcast network) movie. It came out at Thanksgiving last year and I think a sequel came out this Thanksgiving. Not to say that Lifetime or Hallmark couldn't have re-broadcast the movie(s).

• Love 2
7 hours ago, teebax said:

I've posted about this before, but will share again because when this issue comes up I think about it. My license plate is a specialty one that says Women Veterans. While I hate it because "women" is a noun, I love it because I haven't gotten a ticket since I put it on my car. 

Thank you for your service!  Your license plate gets a grammar pass. ;-)

• Love 5
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:50 AM, tvaddict44 said:

On their putting "women" on certain categories, do you think they might be trying to narrow down the scope of the category?  That's the only reason I can see for being so separatist in labeling us.

But they don't do it for men. (One time ever isn't enough for me to think they've learned their lesson.) We don't see multiple "Men Singers" or "Men Authors" categories. You want to narrow the scope, get specific in a way that has nothing to do with gender or race. That category could have been called Country Singers seeing as they mention its a country album in the clue. That would have narrowed the scope. White men aren't the default and it would be nice to see that reflected on this show.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, vibeology said:

But they don't do it for men. (One time ever isn't enough for me to think they've learned their lesson.) We don't see multiple "Men Singers" or "Men Authors" categories. You want to narrow the scope, get specific in a way that has nothing to do with gender or race. That category could have been called Country Singers seeing as they mention its a country album in the clue. That would have narrowed the scope. White men aren't the default and it would be nice to see that reflected on this show.

I agree, and the gender can be suggested via the use of a female pronoun in the body of the clue, e.g. she, her.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I agree, and the gender can be suggested via the use of a female pronoun in the body of the clue, e.g. she, her.  

Exactly. And one would hope that whether or not the category specifies gender would not impact the players' betting strategies. If there is ever a situation where it might, I'd give it a pass, though I can't think of any such circumstances right now.

• Love 2

Isn't "The Moonies" an alternate name for the Unification Church?

And why did the champ look down instead of at Alex during the interview portion?

I like Sean, and look forward to seeing how he will do.

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 10
25 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

Isn't "The Moonies" an alternate name for the Unification Church?

Yes, I was wondering if they were going to issue a correction at the end of the round.  Maybe Moonies is considered derogatory and they did't want to get complaints.

That was a good FJ because it required some lateral thinking - Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf to Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.  I didn't come close to getting it, but I think it was a good Jeopardy! clue,

Edited by Roaster
typo
  • Love 8
29 minutes ago, Roaster said:

Yes, I was wondering if they were going to issue a correction at the end of the round.  Maybe Moonies is considered derogatory and they did't want to get complaints.

But Lapp is okay?  Alrighty, then.  I expected a correction as well.

I was completely clueless for FJ -- got stuck on animated features in my head and would never ever have come up with Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf.  And there was some TV commercial on just before that that featured the Three Little Pigs, too!

I was able to get Komodo dragon, Strunk, and St. Mark.  Oh, and by the way, Vidya, the G in Gila monster is pronounced like an H. 

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I got FJ!! I got it by focusing on the play rather than the song. 

I'm surprised no one knew Julia Ward Howe. 

I'm also surprised no one knew Katherine Graham, though I guess they were all too young to remember the details of Watergate.

I also got Komodo dragon, Strunk, and FJ.

• Love 2

Congrats to Sean!  I liked his awkward nerdiness.  I was surprised Neil sort of flamed out on that Health and Medicine category.  Why was Vidya's name pronounced "Vithia"?  Weird.

I, too, was surprised they didn't accept Moonies.  

I got Katherine Graham, Komodo Dragon and Strunk.

I could have stood there for 100 years and never have come up with FJ.  But it was a clever clue.

• Love 6

I got FJ at the very last minute also by concentrating on the play but after getting stuck on The Miracle Worker first.               I felt despair in the American Women category at the TSs but also at the answer of Marilyn Monroe as the most admired woman in 13 different years.  Yikes!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I'm surprised no one knew Julia Ward Howe. 

And wasn't she the subject of a clue within the past 2 weeks? Nevertheless, I couldn't remember her name.

I got Graham, and that's it for TSs. I said EB White instead of Strunk. (A professor of mine had called the book Strunk and Punk.) I also said monitor lizard instead of Komodo dragon. I don't know why I keep confusing them.

I didn't get FJ, though I liked the clue. I was just lost. I loved the Silly Symphonies I've seen. Very clever. There was one about battling musical instruments, and I was kind of stuck on that one. I wish I had remembered that the Three Little Pigs was a Silly Symphony.

• Love 2

I said Moonies but I think they didn't accept it because that refers to the members, not the church. 

I wonder how Jeopardy would rule me for saying "ancient Maya" instead of Maya. I dislike clues that imply the Maya no longer exist. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Pallida said:

I said Moonies but I think they didn't accept it because that refers to the members, not the church.  

I thought of that too, but then at the same time I bet they would accept "Who are the Mormons?" for a clue like "This church is headquartered in Salt Lake City", so who knows...

• Love 9

For FJ, I very confidently said, "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? NAILED IT!" Didn't realize my mistake until Alex read the answer.

I also don't understand why Moonies wasn't accepted--definitely expected a correction, but then forgot about it until others mentioned it here.

• Love 3

I was completely clueless for FJ -- got stuck on animated features in my head and would never ever have come up with Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf.  And there was some TV commercial on just before that that featured the Three Little Pigs, too!

Same here. I have noticed it's a different grandpa in the chartreuse shirt, though.  THAT I can get, but FJ? Not on your life.

• Love 2

Agree that Moonies should have been accepted, or at least a BMS. If I answered Moonies and was told to BMS, the only other thing I could think to say would be Unification Church. I'm surprised the judges didn't give the contestant that opportunity. 

• Love 6

I wasn't surprised at all that Final Jeopardy was a triple stumper.   I got so focused on the song being a hit in 1933 that I googled hits of 1933.  Color me shocked that Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf spent 8 weeks on the charts.  (It is catchy and you can dance to it, though).

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

FJ was an instaget for me! I have read A. Scott Berg's brilliant Pulitzer Prize winning biography of Lindbergh too many times.

I knew Amelia Earhart wasn't married, so it wasn't her, but for the life of me, I didn't make the connection to 1927 until Alex noted it before revealing the answers, and of course, then I knew who it was.  I kept thinking "They probably won't take 'Mrs. Admiral Byrd' would they?"

• Love 1

I missed the last half of the J round.  Did Loren wager a huge amount on a DD or something to get so much money?  He drives me insane with his slow clue selection and slow answers.

I got Palermo, harvester, and The Miracle Worker (I was screaming at Derek hoping he'd give Loren a run for the money).

I smugly answered Mary Leakey for FJ, just knowing I was correct.  Oops!

• Love 5

I smugly answered Mary Leakey for FJ, just knowing I was correct.  Oops!

It's like I have a twin! Bosco was on my lap and was very disappointed that I missed not only FJ, but I almost forgot it's his 5th birthday. AND I dosed him with flea goo. On his Birthday. I'm a terrible cat owner & FJ player.

But...when AT announced the category for FJ, I said, "Not WOMEN Medals & Decorations?" (I can be sarcastic, y'know.) Imagine my surprise when the correct question was a woman!

• Love 5

Considering my fixation on The Miracle Worker last night while coming up the the FJ answer, I was laughing like a fool when it came up tonight.  Play locations would be a category of my dreams if I were ever on the show so I know I would never get it.  Couldn't get FJ tonight - I went down the Leakey route and couldn't find my way to firmer ground.

• Love 3