Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I knew it was Prague because last week I watched a Rick Steves show about Prague, but I couldn't bring it out of my brain and out of my mouth.  I kept thinking "Warsaw.  I know that's not right, it's the other city that was on Rick Steves."

• Love 4

I, too, thought the city was named for a saint, so I yelled out, "Sofia, Bulgaria!" thereby scaring the cats.  Well, one cat. Bosco's OK with my yelling at the TV, but Stella hates it, usually 'cause she's on my lap and it startles the hell out of her.

At least my guess actually IS a capital, not like St. Petersburg.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Roaster said:

Vaclavske Namesti - I thought of Vaclav Havel and the Czech Republic.  Guessed Prague.

I thought of Warsaw first, then vacillated between Prague and Budapest, for some reason.  Should've stuck with Prague.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

To my credit, though, I knew Berlin, Death Wish, Hamlet (amazed that no one rang in after Macbeth and Othello were eliminated), Seascape, Duchamp (or Du-SHAWWW), Ishtar, and cassis.

I got all of them except seascape (which is odd because I'm familiar with Winslow's work and know they're mostly seascapes) plus Euphrates (50/50 chance on that one) and Robert Todd Lincoln.

• Love 2

I did the opposite of many of you...I knew Prague's main square was named for St. Wenceslas, so it couldn't be that, and settled on Warsaw (with a brief detour to Bratislava, although I quickly decided that probably wasn't a capital they would use for FJ).  About halfway through, I was saying the name to myself, trying to figure out which saint it was, when it finally clicked that Vaclav was Wenceslas.  I *think* I would have had enough time to write it down, but I'm glad I didn't have to.

(Typing it all out, it's pretty amazing how much mental gymnastics one can do in thirty seconds.)

• Love 3

I also guessed Warsaw. Even though I'm wrong I love coming here and finding out my guess was the same as a lot of you geniuses in this forum so it makes me feel better.

A comment on the game the night before: they are  lot of clues about about DH Lawrence and Lady Chatterley's Lover, aren't there?

• Love 2

I don't think I liked FJ.  Category was Classic Movie Roles.

I suppose Piggy in Lord of the Flies is a classic character from literature.  It does not surprise me that a movie adaptation of that novel was made in 1963, but it is not a highly regarded film today.  I was concentrating on movies from that time period and could not think of one that fit.  Not a classic movie, if by classic we mean good or landmark.  Maybe a classic role, but because of the character in the book.

• Love 13

I like our champ (nice rally in Double Jeopardy). Don't think I'm weird, y'all, but I see a resemblance to Gillian Anderson in her face. 

I don't think I liked FJ.  Category was Classic Movie Roles.

I suppose Piggy in Lord of the Flies is a classic character from literature.  It does not surprise me that a movie adaptation of that novel was made in 1963, but it is not a highly regarded film today.  I was concentrating on movies from that time period and could not think of one that fit.  Not a classic movie, if by classic we mean good or landmark.  Maybe a classic role, but because of the character in the book.

Agreed! I was super-confident going in ("bet it all" from the comfort of my couch), but I had no idea who the clue was talking about. 

• Love 2

Couldn't believe Les Mis was missed.

That song category was so frustrating - I'm terrible with before/after categories, and remembering song names, so the category was a whole lot of "that song and that song!" for me.

I am fairly sure I could have spent the next week trying to come up with FJ and not figure it out.

• Love 3

I said "Lord of the Flies" but thought I was wrong because Alex kept saying the answer was Piggy.  The clue asked for the name of the film and not what the role was. I had to go back and re-read the question and then Alex again said Piggy from the Lord of the Flies, but the actual answer was The Lord of the Flies. You didn't need to say Piggy. He did not make that clear and since they all got it wrong, I guess it did not matter but it was confusing to viewers at home.

I got a real kick out of some of the French tonight but I was shocked that Alex didn't correct empire waist and say-- Yes Empire or AM-PEER, which is also a correct pronunciation and much more French.

I got Rosetta Stone and thought that would be an answer just from seeing the category. Like Bologna I mean Baloney last night! 

• Love 3

Add me to those crying foul about FJ. I was racking my brains trying to come up with a 1963 movie starring a fat guy with glasses. The closest I came was the original The Nutty Professor, though Jerry Lewis's character wasn't fat (that was the Eddie Murphy remake).

There were a couple of surprising TS's in that Book Characters category in addition to Les Miserables. I remembered Jack Dawkins was the real name of the Artful Dodger, so came up with Oliver Twist. But I wonder how many remember Old Sally (the midwife who delivered Oliver).

No one remembered "Love is All Around" from The Mary Tyler Moore Show! Now I really feel old.

• Love 5

Another lackluster game.  They wasted too much time on that stupid pop song mashup category and left almost an entire interesting category on the board.  Boo hiss!

23 minutes ago, operalover said:

I got a real kick out of some of the French tonight but I was shocked that Alex didn't correct empire waist and say-- Yes Empire or AM-PEER, which is also a correct pronunciation and much more French.

Your comment cracked me up!  I was thinking the exact same thing.

I got The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Rosetta Stone, Bayeux Tapestry (which I learned about from watching Jeopardy!), El Salvador and Les Miserables.

I, too, was confused by FJ because I couldn't think of a good movie starring a fat man with glasses.  I wouldn't consider The Lord of the Flies a classic.  It was a dismal B movie at best.

• Love 5

I was screaming at my TV during the Britney Spears debacle. Not only was the original answer wrong, Alex's explication of the correction was incorrect. The song is not called "Hit Me One More Time" as the contestant answered but Alex said she forgot the Baby. Except that's wrong! The song is not called "Hit Me Baby One More Time" either. The song is called "...Baby One More Time." I felt like that needed to be clarified.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, operalover said:

I said "Lord of the Flies" but thought I was wrong because Alex kept saying the answer was Piggy.  The clue asked for the name of the film and not what the role was. I had to go back and re-read the question and then Alex again said Piggy from the Lord of the Flies, but the actual answer was The Lord of the Flies. You didn't need to say Piggy. He did not make that clear and since they all got it wrong, I guess it did not matter but it was confusing to viewers at home.

Alex frequently likes to give a large hint after their time is up, but he doesn't give the answer until someone gets it or no one has gotten it.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

There were a couple of surprising TS's in that Book Characters category in addition to Les Miserables. I remembered Jack Dawkins was the real name of the Artful Dodger, so came up with Oliver Twist. But I wonder how many remember Old Sally (the midwife who delivered Oliver).

I got Les Miserables and Oliver Twist, though I first said, "Oliver... Twist," thinking of the musical. I'm surprised I got it because I couldn't have told you that Jack Dawkins was a character in that book, nor that Old Sally was, but I guess seeing the two names together somehow clicked in my brain.

No one remembered "Love is All Around" from The Mary Tyler Moore Show! Now I really feel old.

I was thinking The Love Boat, but the lyric is actually "Love is in the air," and I think the song is just called Theme from The Love Boat.

I also got charisma for a TS, but I can't remember if there were any others. 

• Love 2

I read the novel in English class,  but I didn't realize "Lord of the Flies" was a 1963 classic movie. The letter was from a big kid who wore glasses. Piggy was the only person that came to mind so that's what I went with.. 

To me, "Love is All Around" is a song from "Four Weddings and a Funeral" and its variation in "Love Actually." In contrast to the above poster not recognizing Britney Spears, I didn't know the Mary Tyler Moore show. 

Edited by DrScottie
Realized I should read the thread before poisting
  • Love 3

A comment on the game the night before: they are  lot of clues about about DH Lawrence and Lady Chatterley's Lover, aren't there?

YES! And J! loves Lord of the Flies, too, so I was ashamed I missed FJ. No, I'm not ashamed. Classic book maybe, for its time, but it was not a classic movie role.

That said, it was kinda fun to learn a fat kid with glasses sent a letter. . .

And to subsequently learn that the kid was Danuel Pipoly (I looked it up).

I was doubly ashamed I missed Oliver. Sheet, I was in the damn musical. I don't recall Old Sally as a character in the musical (was she?) and I totally forgot Jack was the Artful Dodger (duh!)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

YES! And J! loves Lord of the Flies, too, so I was ashamed I missed FJ. No, I'm not ashamed. Classic book maybe, for its time, but it was not a classic movie role.

That said, it was kinda fun to learn a fat kid with glasses sent a letter. . .

And to subsequently learn that the kid was Danuel Pipoly (I looked it up).

I was doubly ashamed I missed Oliver. Sheet, I was in the damn musical. I don't recall Old Sally as a character in the musical (was she?) and I totally forgot Jack was the Artful Dodger (duh!)

I got LotF a couple of weeks ago in the teen tournament, when FJ was Piggy's last words. The category name should have been "Classic Books to Movies" or something like that, to clue in the players that they're looking for a movie based on a book that lots of people should know. 

No, Old Sally was not in the musical. Lots of characters from the book weren't. She's a very minor character in the book too, IIRC--she just shows up in the first chapter to deliver Oliver and then many chapters later, when she reveals a Very Important Secret about him on her deathbed.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Well, I guess I'm triply ashamed - as after reading your post, I just now realized that not only was my daughter in the musical, she played Old Sally (well, given what @GreekGeek says, an old lady who was reminiscent of Old Sally). It was fifteen years ago, but still...

• Love 1

Lord of the Flies is one of the writers' go-to questions, but it is not considered a classic film.  And I say that as someone who has a bachelor of arts in film studies.  Classic films are Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Singin' in the Rain, etc.  NOT Lord of the Flies. 

Since the MTM Show is one of my faves, I was sad that nobody got "Love Is All Around."  Ted Baxter's Famous Broadcasters School, where the class is graded on a standard bell curve, anyone?

• Love 4

I didn't realize there was a film version of Lord of the Flies, so needless to say, I did not get FJ.

That was not the most scintillating of games.

got The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Rosetta Stone, Bayeux Tapestry (which I learned about from watching Jeopardy!), El Salvador and Les Miserables.

I got all of these, and even had time to tell the tv that the Bayeux Tapestry is not actually a tapestry because the designs weren't woven into it but instead were stitched onto the fabric, which makes it an embroidery. I really want to see it someday, regardless. (I was a medieval history major, so stuff like this is my oeuvre.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4

Not only that but there was another movie made Lord of the Flies in 1990. I guess this means there are 2 Classic movies, the 1963 and the 1990.

An 80 year old man I know, a retired science teacher, used to love Jeopardy. He told me he can't watch it any more because it used to test only academic knowledge and now it has all this pop culture "nonsense" that he doesn't consider to be academic (know anything about). I sort of agree because I do terrible at any current movie stars, current movies, pop songs, current pop stars.  football stars etc. What percentage of the categories are along these lines I wonder? 

I really enjoy categories like ones that had recently: Ancient Babylon, Historical Objects, From the Greek, and anything about Art History, geography, famous authors, history etc. All these pop culture categories annoy me. Am I old? 

• Love 5
16 hours ago, DrScottie said:

To me, "Love is All Around" is a song from "Four Weddings and a Funeral" and its variation in "Love Actually." In contrast to the above poster not recognizing Britney Spears, I didn't know the Mary Tyler Moore show. 

Just as a matter of interest, the song that was used in the two movies you mentioned is a completely different song from the theme from The Mary Tyler Moore Show.  Here is the original version by The Troggs of the song used in the films:

https://youtu.be/m_HnBac5jWs

And here is the same named theme from The Mary Tyler Moore Show, which was written and performed by members of The Crickets, which was the backing band for the late Buddy Holly.

https://youtu.be/kuuYvQsN-ak

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, operalover said:

An 80 year old man I know, a retired science teacher, used to love Jeopardy. He told me he can't watch it any more because it used to test only academic knowledge and now it has all this pop culture "nonsense" that he doesn't consider to be academic (know anything about). I sort of agree because I do terrible at any current movie stars, current movies, pop songs, current pop stars.  football stars etc. What percentage of the categories are along these lines I wonder? 

I really enjoy categories like ones that had recently: Ancient Babylon, Historical Objects, From the Greek, and anything about Art History, geography, famous authors, history etc. All these pop culture categories annoy me. Am I old? 

I'm terrible at most of the pop culture categories, too--but I think it's very good they have them. Everyone should have to know something outside their comfort zone!

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Well, I guess I'm triply ashamed - as after reading your post, I just now realized that not only was my daughter in the musical, she played Old Sally (well, given what @GreekGeek says, an old lady who was reminiscent of Old Sally). It was fifteen years ago, but still...

She might have been in the stage musical; I've never seen Oliver! on stage, just the movie, and that was a VERY long time ago.

• Love 1

FJ was an instaget for me tonight.  Was Lumiere the third one Alex alluded to?  I couldn't think of a third possibility. 

The only TS I remember getting was breaching.

I missed the last two nights.  Did Amanda seem bored like that on those games?  I liked the other woman, but I'm good with the middle guy winning.

• Love 3

Joe seems okay.  Amanda acted bored out of her mind tonight.

Dang it, I was wrestling dinner into the oven and missed over half of the first round.  I didn't get any TS or FJ.  I must be overwhelmed by the smell of my quiche that's baking.  Or the glass of wine I drank on an empty stomach.  Hey!  I was thirsty!  *hic*

59 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Damn, Rita Moreno looks good.

No kidding!

• Love 7

I am driven to distraction. I got Edison and Tesla immediately for FJ but I have no freakin' idea who Trebek thinks is the third obvious choice (he mentioned that "three names come to mind").

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 5

I broke my FJ losing streak with yesterday’s Lord of the Flies and Tesla & Edison, both instagets. Yay me :)

The only TS I got was The Electric Company; it was a staple of my childhood.

The in-show promos for movies and other shows are annoying but I was super annoyed they ended DJ with 4(?) clues on the board.

I missed the last two nights.  Did Amanda seem bored like that on those games?

Yes, bored and playing alone in her living room. I love Joe.

• Love 5

Yeah, movies, plus Lumiere wasn't just one person--the French cinema pioneers were a pair of brothers.  Which just made the answer of Lumiere for that clue even odder.  But if you can't think of anybody at all, I guess it's better to write something than nothing.

• Love 1

I also said Edison and Westinghouse, even though I have just recently watched a Tesla doc on PBS so should have known better! 

Just got caught up on the last three eps, and I was so bummed they didn't get into Humanoids.  I would have started there with the $2000 clue. Grr.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 4

Add me to the people who would love to know Alex's third "obvious" answer.

Relatedly, usually I roll my eyes when he has a comment, but he was totally right about Rita Moreno -- she does still have it!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, SeanC said:

I'm a big fan of Greek mythology, but I couldn't have told you the name of the Muse of Dance if my life depended on it.

I knew the "terpsichord" part of the name, but not the actual name. Somewhere along the line I read a bio of a dancer, and the word was used and it stuck with me.

5 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

She might have been in the stage musical; I've never seen Oliver! on stage, just the movie, and that was a VERY long time ago.

Well, I did dig up the program (children's musical) and as it turns out, she was "Old Lady #1." So, so far as I know, you're still right. :)

• Love 1
6 hours ago, operalover said:

Not only that but there was another movie made Lord of the Flies in 1990. I guess this means there are 2 Classic movies, the 1963 and the 1990.

I think the category was Classic Movie Roles, which to me refers more to the roles than to the movies. I think a character in a film can be "classic" while the movie isn't necessarily so. Having said that, I don't think Piggy is a classic movie role.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

FJ was an instaget for me tonight.  Was Lumiere the third one Alex alluded to?  I couldn't think of a third possibility. 

Yeah, Tesla and Edison came to me immediately. Seems like I learned about their rivalry within the last 5 years or so. Now it seems like common knowledge to me. I don't know who the third person was that Alex was thinking of. 

I think the only TS I got was The Electric Company.

• Love 1