Type keyword(s) to search

Track & Field: Insert Latest Scandal here

1 hour ago, mtlchick said:

DeGrasse is hungry.  He almost seems unsatisfied with the silver.   The times were definitely slower tonight and the rain didn't help.  But give him 4 years, add some weight to him and...he won't be Bolt but he will be the future of sprinting.

And Bolt probably won't be there, so he will get his gold.

Ashton is a beast. Loved how all the decathlon athletes hugged one another- I'm sure they are all very close. It's nice to see such sportsmanship after all the crap that has happened the last few days.

Bolt is absolutely ridiculous. How does he still run like that? At least the Brazilian fans know better than to boo him.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, blackwing said:

I'm not sure why it's unfair.  It does seem to happen occasionally, and when it happens, the runner/team that committed the infraction gets disqualified.  Are you saying it's unfair that the U.S. got to re-run their race?  How is that unfair?  A woman from another team infringed upon their lane.  It negatively impacted the U.S. team.  The rules say that the team that was impeded upon can get a second chance.

The part I'm unclear about is the race the other day, where the American and New Zealand women tripped or collided.  The rules there said that when the tripping is unintentional, then both racers can get a second shot and petition for advancement to the next round.  Neither gets disqualified, even though it looked to me like the New Zealander stepped on the heels of the American and that is what caused the American to fall.  So in this relay situation, I would think the Brazilian woman unintentionally impeded.  I don't believe that she meant to fling out her arm and impede Allyson Felix.  She was just concentrating on her race and didn't realise it.  But she and Brazil gets disqualified.  

I'm not really sure what the difference is here as to why one situation, both could advance because it was deemed unintentional, and in another, one is DQ'd.

I think the difference there is that racers don't have assigned lanes, they're all running in a pack.  I've always wondered why there aren't more collisions.  

7 hours ago, Daisy said:

Looking at the footage @blackwing Brazil was never in USA's lane. Brazil Runner didn't step on the line, or cross into Felix's lane - that's what was saying. what it looked like was Brazil 3 took off, and her elbow clipped Allyson. but....

yup. and that's why they finished the race. smart. 

I just think technically it's unfair for China. but it is, the way it is i guess. 

Brazil runner was running on the very far left side of the lane, and her flailing arms clearly went into Felix's lane.  Her feet may not have crossed the line, but her arms clearly did.  Very smart of Felix to pick up the baton and have the team finish the race.

• Love 1

I'm so upset with the Dutch officials. The ladies in the relay were clearly obstructed by the team next to them(the or first runnerbwas clearly in their lane,  Schippers(Dutch second runner) thought she was her runner and started too early and no one protested on their behalf. 

Edited by galaxygirl76
My phone is being weird, no idea where the quote box came from.
10 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

For the many people who love Usain Bolt here's some adorableness: him in Athens in 2004. He's 17 and it's the same smile, the same mannerisms. He just wasn't as amazing. 

awww, Baby Bolt! (not that 17 is considered a baby anymore, but you get what I mean.)  I guess that's what he likes DeGrasse; he was a skinny boy running the track at his first Games too. 

For some reason I am unable to post in the Hotties thread so I thought I'd share this here.  How did I never notice Kerron Clement, newly minted 400m hurdler gold medalist, before today?  I'm such a sucker for a great smile.

RIOEC8I16DHW2_768x432.JPG

• Love 12

Yes, he does have a beautiful smile.

Dumb question:  don't the necklaces/neck chains get in the way of the runners?  I keep waiting for one to fly up and hit the wearer in the face.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

Dumb question:  don't the necklaces/neck chains get in the way of the runners?  I keep waiting for one to fly up and hit the wearer in the face.

I've wondered about that myself.  I suppose they like to wear jewelry for the cameras, but it just looks like it gets in the way.

• Love 1

The 50 km walk tired me out just by watching it.  And I'm glad Canada filed a protest against the Japanese walker.  That was a clear bump that made him broke stride and fall back. 

Edit: the protest worked.  Arai was DQed, we got a bronze! WOOT! (And Athletics Canada are expecting Japan to counter protest. Awesome.)

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I've wondered about that myself.  I suppose they like to wear jewelry for the cameras, but it just looks like it gets in the way.

That's what I thought too - I can just see a medal flying up and hitting someone in the eye, blinding them temporarily at least.  Maybe the chains aren't that long.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, FanOfTheFans said:

Sad to think this is the last time to see Bolt run at the olympics. What an athlete. And congrats to Canada and France for silver and bronze. 

They had to go to thousands of a second to decide the bronze, between the French runner and the British - the French fellow was so, so happy it made me happy too - plus the fact that DeGrasse got the silver:)

Also, who knows, we may see Bolt at the Olympics again.  He isn't that old, just turning 30 now. He may change his mind.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 4

late in posting, but I had a great time watching women high jump yesterday - this is such a tense sport to watch for me, I'm holding watever is nearby (son's arm, cat, desk edge) each time one of them attemps the jump. Plus, I have the biggest girlcrush on these ladies, they have like the perfect phyique and they all are absolutely model gorgeous. I hadn't remembered how tense it was watching this sport!

Men's discus was tense watching too :)  

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

The 50 km walk tired me out just by watching it.  And I'm glad Canada filed a protest against the Japanese walker.  That was a clear bump that made him broke stride and fall back. 

Edit: the protest worked.  Arai was DQed, we got a bronze! WOOT! (And Athletics Canada are expecting Japan to counter protest. Awesome.)

Evan Dunfee also blogs about his career and his sport and is the guy who busted a bunch of racewalkers for competing while under a doping ban- the Russians posted event pictures online showing banned athletes in competition, then tried to claim the pictures were from 2012 before hey were banned. The problem was the shoes- Evan knows his product lines, and the shoes the Russians were wearing were not produced in 2012. 

http://www.dunfeewalks.ca/tf-blog/the-beginning-of-the-end-for-saransk-and-russia

Nice to see someone who seems to care about sports integrity end up on the podium (pening Japanese appeal and all) 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

Nope, Canada lost the bronze again. I am biased, but this really stinks. There was clear contact and it equally clearly threw off Evan's pace. 

I hope this means Evan can get revenge in Tokyo.  Because Boo-urns to this.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, satrunrose said:

Nope, Canada lost the bronze again. I am biased, but this really stinks. There was clear contact and it equally clearly threw off Evan's pace. 

59 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

I hope this means Evan can get revenge in Tokyo.  Because Boo-urns to this.

and this is what i don't understand.
yesterday, Brazil impedes USA, so much that it apparently makes Allyson Felix stumble, and throw her baton. Brazil wasn't in USA's lane, their arms just collided, and because of that Brazil is DQ'ed, China gets bumped, and the US gets to run which is assuredly a medal, unless they you know drop the baton. 

Japan clearly impedes Evan, knocks him off stride, and obviously cost him a medal, because the IAAF DQ'ed Japan. but Japan goes, well that's not fair, and it's too bad, so sad Canada? Whatever. 

• Love 2

Japan clearly impedes Evan, knocks him off stride, and obviously cost him a medal, because the IAAF DQ'ed Japan. but Japan goes, well that's not fair, and it's too bad, so sad Canada? Whatever. 

Even the CBC were like "We don't know what to tell you.  That's the ruling we got."  Athletics Canada said it's a done deal.  I would love to hear what the argument was from Japan and/or the IAAF's reasoning.

• Love 1

I'm sorry that Canada lost out on a medal, would have been nice.  But, I just can't help but laugh at race walking.  To me it's like synchronised swimming or rhythmic gymnastics.  I know it's a sport and it's difficult, but it just looks so funny.  With all those hips sashaying.... it truly looks to me like a bunch of guys shit their pants and are doing their best to quickly waddle over to the toilet.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Even the CBC were like "We don't know what to tell you.  That's the ruling we got."  Athletics Canada said it's a done deal.  I would love to hear what the argument was from Japan and/or the IAAF's reasoning.

The process was flawed, but I think the ultimate result was correct. It's not as if there was a tiny margin between 3rd and 4th place. It was a 14 second margin, which cannot be explained by some arm jostling.

The 4x400 m relay heats were interesting -- not so much the race for first, the USA is blowing the rest away there, but the other teams.  I wouldn't have thought the Ukraine had such a great team.

The Canadian team placed a solid fifth.  Our first and fourth runners seemed to be better than the middle two.

Edited by SeanC

Here's some info on the racewalking situation where Evan Dunfee of Canada was stripped of his bronze:

Athletics Canada head coach Peter Eriksson told CBC News that it was considering options following Japan's successful appeal but said Dunfee doesn't want to proceed any further.

"I had the option to appeal to CAS [the Court of Arbitration for Sport] and to me, I couldn't have honestly and appropriately gone a step further," said Dunfee.

"He [Arai] was in the same world of hurt [as me]. He brushed my shoulder.  I'm an aggressive walker and maybe I leaned into him. When I finally watched the video, I couldn't say to myself that [there was intent on his part].

"I had to ask myself, if I got this medal, would I be proud of it … and be able to sleep at night," Dunfee added. "I came to the decision I was so proud of my race and that I couldn't honestly take away from him what he did."

Wow! Such sportsmanlike behaviour. Proud he's a Canadian!!!

• Love 15

One of the nice things about the professional track & field era is that you really do get to watch soem athletes go through a full range of experiences in life. I didn't find Bolt particularly likable when he was breaking onto the senior international scene- seemed like an arrogant party boy. But he's grown up since then, the arrogance had become tempered with humor, and he's become one of the pseudo-senior spokesmen of the sprint corps. It just won't be the same with him heading into retirement. 

• Love 3

Yay!!!! To the US women's 4×100 relay team!!!! I'm so happy Allyson and Tori received their gold medals!!! They decimated the field!

US men: please don't drop the baton.

Edited by sereion
  • Love 1

It's official.  The day that Bolt dies is the day I'll believe he is mortal.  Because HE'S IMMORTAL! 

DeGrasse what he could in the final but the Japanese BLITZED them.  I can't be angry about that. 

• Love 3

Japan is probably one of those teams that train for these events more than teams like the US and focus on getting the baton around the track. You don't necessarily need to have the fastest runners if your baton skills are flawless.

Usain Bolt is from another planet. Unreal.

• Love 1

So we get something like 5 total vaults in what was sounding like a very exciting women's pole vault final because NBC thought we needed more shots of Bolt in the ready room? Sigh. Guess that's par for the network's course. 

• Love 6

Japan, tho'! Well, at least they didn't drop the baton. 

Bolt is the man. Period. Track and Field will not be the same without him. Who will the Jamacian heir apparent once he's gone?

Edited by sereion

Congrats to the U.S. Women's 4x100!   Incredible run.  Every leg and handoff was perfect.  They just blew away that field.

Men's 4x100 was closer than I thought it would never. Prior to the race, Ato Boldon said that Tyson Gay said he's been to the Olympics twice before and came away with nothing.  Well, um, as far as the relay is concerned, in 2008 he dropped the baton, and in 2012, he got busted for drugs and the team was stripped of its medal.  They ran a good race tonight.  Surprised at how strong Japan was, considering that I couldn't even tell you if any of their guys are even competitive at the 100.

Jamaica was awesome as usual.  Was hoping also for a Canadian medal. De Grasse ran a fantastic last leg, he almost pulled it off.  Looking forward to seeing what he can do in 2020!

4 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

(gasps) Japan may have pulled a Canada 2012 move!  WHAT?!

:o Whaaaattt? 

(oh the ironies. especially with what happened earlier today!)

• Love 1