Type keyword(s) to search

Track & Field: Insert Latest Scandal here

Apparently Bolt gave some (IMO) rather cranky interviews to Australia and Brazil about how DeGrasse shouldn't have pushed so hard in the semi, which surprised me given his big grin during the race. I was kind of disappointed because I was loving the bromance. CBC online is talking about it a lot but I think the Lochte fiasco is overshadowing it. 

25 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

Apparently Bolt gave some (IMO) rather cranky interviews to Australia and Brazil about how DeGrasse shouldn't have pushed so hard in the semi, which surprised me given his big grin during the race. I was kind of disappointed because I was loving the bromance. CBC online is talking about it a lot but I think the Lochte fiasco is overshadowing it. 

I took that as... "I wasn't expecting to push it so hard, and there he was."
Bolt still has that hamstring, and while I think he'll still win... I don't blame DeGrasse for wanting to get a good lane too. 

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

Bolt interviewed with the NBC guy right after the race.  I think it's that it was a semifinal, and the goal of the semifinals is just to get in the top 2 to automatically qualify.  If you're assured a place in the top 2, you're supposed to pull up and take it easy.  That's why Bolt often looks like he's just jogging over the finish line in the prelims.  Bolt kept saying something like "he was supposed to pull up and he didn't".  I think de Grasse was trying to send a message that he's going to give it his all.  So that finger and grin is something akin to "you sneaky bastard, you were trying to pull a fast one and beat me even though I pulled up".

15 minutes ago, Arynm said:

If the Brazilians are DQ'd because of this in favor of the Americans we might have another International incident. The booing will be deafening. 

I thought Brazil has already been disqualified in the women's relay.  The official site shows that Brazil has been disqualified.  For some reason, Kazakhstan also was disqualified although I don't know why.  They added a heat 3 which shows the U.S. running by itself.  

I have to say I've been a bit disappointed by all the booing from the Brazilian fans.  Some chalk it up to "the Latin culture" and "that's just how Brazilians are, they boo everybody that's not Brazilian".  But I find it in poor taste.  Brazil is welcoming athletes and fans from all over the world.  The local fans could be a little more gracious IMO.

• Love 7

i don't know if this is "fair" or not. selfishly, I can say - i'm glad it doesn't impact Canada, but i mean, yes it sucks that Felix got impacted, but racers etc get impacted all the time. Brazil got DQ'ed, and the US did finish the race. this is unfair all around i think. 

China's out. 

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I have to say I've been a bit disappointed by all the booing from the Brazilian fans.  Some chalk it up to "the Latin culture" and "that's just how Brazilians are, they boo everybody that's not Brazilian".  But I find it in poor taste.  Brazil is welcoming athletes and fans from all over the world.  The local fans could be a little more gracious IMO.

And that is what I've been saying since the Olympics began.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Daisy said:

i don't know if this is "fair" or not. selfishly, I can say - i'm glad it doesn't impact Canada, but i mean, yes it sucks that Felix got impacted, but racers etc get impacted all the time. Brazil got DQ'ed, and the US did finish the race. this is unfair all around i think. 

China's out. 

I'm not sure why it's unfair.  It does seem to happen occasionally, and when it happens, the runner/team that committed the infraction gets disqualified.  Are you saying it's unfair that the U.S. got to re-run their race?  How is that unfair?  A woman from another team infringed upon their lane.  It negatively impacted the U.S. team.  The rules say that the team that was impeded upon can get a second chance.

The part I'm unclear about is the race the other day, where the American and New Zealand women tripped or collided.  The rules there said that when the tripping is unintentional, then both racers can get a second shot and petition for advancement to the next round.  Neither gets disqualified, even though it looked to me like the New Zealander stepped on the heels of the American and that is what caused the American to fall.  So in this relay situation, I would think the Brazilian woman unintentionally impeded.  I don't believe that she meant to fling out her arm and impede Allyson Felix.  She was just concentrating on her race and didn't realise it.  But she and Brazil gets disqualified.  

I'm not really sure what the difference is here as to why one situation, both could advance because it was deemed unintentional, and in another, one is DQ'd.

16 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I thought Brazil has already been disqualified in the women's relay.  The official site shows that Brazil has been disqualified.  For some reason, Kazakhstan also was disqualified although I don't know why.  They added a heat 3 which shows the U.S. running by itself.  

Found a results sheet with the DQ notes on them. Kazakhstan is "DQ R 163.3a" - lane violation, which means an athlete ran outside her lane in a race where you're supposed to stay in a designated lane 

Brazil- "163.2b"- obstruction of other athletes. Referee's discretion on whether to DQ and whether the obstruction was unfair enough that the race should be rerun, or athlete(s) advanced. 

Felix knows her rulebook- being advanced under 163.2b requires the ompacted athletes to make a 'bona fide effort' to finish. 

• Love 1

Looking at the footage @blackwing Brazil was never in USA's lane. Brazil Runner didn't step on the line, or cross into Felix's lane - that's what was saying. what it looked like was Brazil 3 took off, and her elbow clipped Allyson. but....

1 minute ago, selkie said:

Found a results sheet with the DQ notes on them. Kazakhstan is "DQ R 163.3a" - lane violation, which means an athlete ran outside her lane in a race where you're supposed to stay in a designated lane 

Brazil- "163.2b"- obstruction of other athletes. Referee's discretion on whether to DQ and whether the obstruction was unfair enough that the race should be rerun, or athlete(s) advanced. 

Felix knows her rulebook- being advanced under 163.2b requires the ompacted athletes to make a 'bona fide effort' to finish. 

yup. and that's why they finished the race. smart. 

I just think technically it's unfair for China. but it is, the way it is i guess. 

• Love 1

Damian Warner just saved his Olympics with a clutch javelin throw on his third and final attempt. He was headed for fourth place, but now he looks like a solid bet for bronze thanks to his best throw of the year. Great to see the Canadian come through in the clutch. I still have painful memories of Canadian medal-favourite decathlete Michael Smith pulling his hamstring and pulling out of the Barcelona games.

• Love 2

Congrats to Ryan Crouser and Joe Kovacs for going Gold-Silver in the shot put. Crouser set the OR in the process. Line of the night from Pat Forde of Yahoo: "Crouser comes from a family of men who throw things." Ryan's dad threw discus and his uncle threw the javelin.

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, Superpole2000 said:

Damian Warner just saved his Olympics with a clutch javelin throw on his third and final attempt. He was headed for fourth place, but now he looks like a solid bet for bronze thanks to his best throw of the year. Great to see the Canadian come through in the clutch. I still have painful memories of Canadian medal-favourite decathlete Michael Smith pulling his hamstring and pulling out of the Barcelona games.

ooh he's the one who commentates on CBC?!

Jeez, that guy didn't even try to challenge Warner for the bronze in the final event of the decathlon.

That's Medal #17 for Canada at these Games.  Now, if De Grasse medals tonight, that'll tie our result at the London Games with a few days of events to go to win more.

• Love 2

Going over to the shallow side of the track, I love to watch the women runners with long hair! I have always had long hair and I just love to watch them run with their hair flying behind them, I don't care if it's hair they grew or weaves and braids, I just like it. I understand them doing it, track and field isn't always considered a feminine thing (though why not, beautiful, strong bodies are always feminine) and I also love their long, decorated fingernails. Wasn't her fingernails something FloJo known for?

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Daisy said:

ooh he's the one who commentates on CBC?!

Yes, he was a top ten decathlete for about a decade, and finished on the podium twice in world championships, but he never peaked in any of the three Olympics he attended. Kind of an unlucky career for such a good athlete.

Edited by Superpole2000
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, blackwing said:

The 6 foot something tall John Isner has an advantage in tennis because his arms are long and he has a longer reach.

I think a lot of people would say it helped him to a point and has held him back since then. Just today, Steve Johnson became the top-ranked US player in the ATP (well, he will when the rankings are updated).

Anyone who recovers from a hamstring injury and runs like THAT??? Beast.mode!!! I honestly thought DeGrasse was going to challenge him, though. I do agree that he's Bolt's heir apparent. I love him talking selfies with the fans.

Edited by sereion

I am going to miss Bolt.  Big time.  The stadium LIT UP every time he was on the screen.  He defies LOGIC. 

DeGrasse is hungry.  He almost seems unsatisfied with the silver.   The times were definitely slower tonight and the rain didn't help.  But give him 4 years, add some weight to him and...he won't be Bolt but he will be the future of sprinting.

And bonjour French bronze medalist!  

• Love 6

Wow, a white guy got an individual medal in sprinting.  How often does that happen?

I feel bad for Gemili, who had the same time as Lemaitre but missed out on bronze.

Pleased for De Grasse, who secures the first Canadian medal in the 200m since 1928, and becomes the first Canadian to win multiple medals in track and field in one Games since 1932.

26 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

Could someone explain to me why there isn't a joint bronze winner, since two guys have the same time?

I don't know the rules, but in the semi-finals, Lemaitre, who won the Bronze, had a time of 20.01, while Gemili had a time of 20.12, so ties may be decided by the faster qualifying time.

Edited by Moose135
10 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I don't know the rules, but in the semi-finals, Lemaitre, who won the Bronze, had a time of 20.01, while Gemili had a time of 20.12, so ties may be decided by the faster qualifying time.

I had the same question.  Two people have the same time, so presumably they were judged to break the finish line plane at the exact same moment.  Or do they still use photo finish and determine who just beat out whom?

The qualifying time could be a tiebreaker.  But in the women's relay this morning, Canada and China had the exact same time.  They showed the photo finish and I can't tell if either edged the other.  Yet Canada was deemed to have 7th place and China 8th.  When the US got in on their re-run, China got bumped.  This was the first heats, so no qualifying time to compare to.  Experts?

20 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I had the same question.  Two people have the same time, so presumably they were judged to break the finish line plane at the exact same moment.  Or do they still use photo finish and determine who just beat out whom?

The qualifying time could be a tiebreaker.  But in the women's relay this morning, Canada and China had the exact same time.  They showed the photo finish and I can't tell if either edged the other.  Yet Canada was deemed to have 7th place and China 8th.  When the US got in on their re-run, China got bumped.  This was the first heats, so no qualifying time to compare to.  Experts?

Live Feed said it went down to thousandths of a second. 

• Love 2

yes. so basically - you can tie at say for argument sakes

that red line (photo finish) area - has 3 lines within it so they can see/determine  where they fall in line. 
if they can not see a clear and distinct separation, then that's when you can see a tie awarded. (and it's officially ruled a dead heat). you see this in rowing, and in swimming as well. 

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I thought China was only bumped once the US redo time was faster than China's?

9 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Live Feed said it went down to thousandths of a second. 

Yeah. a running track doesn't have the same physical limitations a swimming pool does about extremely slight differences in where the finish is, so you can fairly go to the thousandth. It is theoretically possible to get a tie down to the 0.001 second but they're very, very rare. When Allyson Felix and Jenebah Tarmoh tied for 3rd and final individual Olympic qualifying spot at the 2012 US Trials, it was pretty much the first time anyone could remember it happening and the offficials had to dig out the dusty part of the rulebook about tie-breaker run-offs. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Going over to the shallow side of the track, I love to watch the women runners with long hair! I have always had long hair and I just love to watch them run with their hair flying behind them, I don't care if it's hair they grew or weaves and braids, I just like it. I understand them doing it, track and field isn't always considered a feminine thing (though why not, beautiful, strong bodies are always feminine) and I also love their long, decorated fingernails. Wasn't her fingernails something FloJo known for?

The hair for some of these women is amazing. But I saw a video piece on the Jamaican runner Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce (she of the yellow and green hair), and they visited her in her hair salon in Jamaica, and she had very short hair. So, she must be wearing a wig. It just seems that something like that would slow you down. Plus, she looked good with the short hair. I just think it would be uncomfortable if nothing else.

And yeah, FloJo had some long nails. I don't know how she dressed in the morning. Gail Devers had some long nails too.

27 minutes ago, dcalley said:

I thought China was only bumped once the US redo time was faster than China's?

That's correct; the US had to beat China's time. Canada had the same time, but as someone said upthread, they somehow had the time measured to the 1/1000 of a second, even though the official times are only to 1/100 of a second.

Edited by MaryMitch
  • Love 2

Since I'd earlier speculated about the 4x100 m relay, the consolidated performance times from the two heats for the qualifiers:

1. USA - 37.65
  2. Japan - 37.68
  3. China - 37.82
  4. Canada - 37.89
  5. Jamaica - 37.94
  6. Trinidad & Tobago - 37.96
  7. UK - 38.06
  8. Brazil - 38.19

Obviously people absent due to the 200m today will affect things, mostly obviously Bolt.  I don't think the Japanese or Chinese teams were missing anybody, though.

5 hours ago, blackwing said:

I'm not sure why it's unfair.  It does seem to happen occasionally, and when it happens, the runner/team that committed the infraction gets disqualified.  Are you saying it's unfair that the U.S. got to re-run their race?  How is that unfair?  A woman from another team infringed upon their lane.  It negatively impacted the U.S. team.  The rules say that the team that was impeded upon can get a second chance.

The part I'm unclear about is the race the other day, where the American and New Zealand women tripped or collided.  The rules there said that when the tripping is unintentional, then both racers can get a second shot and petition for advancement to the next round.  Neither gets disqualified, even though it looked to me like the New Zealander stepped on the heels of the American and that is what caused the American to fall.  So in this relay situation, I would think the Brazilian woman unintentionally impeded.  I don't believe that she meant to fling out her arm and impede Allyson Felix.  She was just concentrating on her race and didn't realise it.  But she and Brazil gets disqualified.  

I'm not really sure what the difference is here as to why one situation, both could advance because it was deemed unintentional, and in another, one is DQ'd.

Not a track expert, but the race the other day was a longer distance, right? Maybe if it's a race where you're supposed to stay in your own lane they're stricter about impeding.