Type keyword(s) to search

Track & Field: Insert Latest Scandal here

Bolt+DeGrasse = mentor goals.  Bolt was one of the few non Canadian athletes I have been itching to see.  The man is a showman but 1) when it's time to put up or shut up, he PUTS UP and 2) he seems to be one of the few that is clearly having fun.  The sport is going to be looking long and hard for someone like him after Rio.

• Love 5

There was a T&F event - I think it was the hurdles?- where the announcers were talking about one runner (Kahlessi or something like that) who had a bad attitude/rap.

They spoke about his being a bad sport and his having beat up the mascots at the meets, twice.

I laughed.

I would have loved to have seen that.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Bolt+DeGrasse = mentor goals.  Bolt was one of the few non Canadian athletes I have been itching to see.  The man is a showman but 1) when it's time to put up or shut up, he PUTS UP and 2) he seems to be one of the few that is clearly having fun.  The sport is going to be looking long and hard for someone like him after Rio.

Bolt reminds me of Muhammad Ali in that while on stage he's a brash showman, the ultimate self-promoter, but he backs it up with talent and just like Ali you can tell there's a thoughtful, gentle side to him in his every day life when he's away from the track.  I love that.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

OT but I hated Lance Armstrong before it was cool to hate him. I was waiting for his downfall for years.

I honestly think he's a sociopath.  He went above and beyond to RUIN people who had firsthand knowledge of his doping. He ruined lives and doesn't feel the slightest bit of remorse for it.

• Love 17

Recreational drugs are a tough call. We know that certain drugs would certainly decrease performance, but would a couple lines of cocaine or a shot of crystal meth work as performance enhancer? I don't know. They might. How do you take that chance? Because if someone is willing to take HGH, or any variety of steroids, with all of their possible side effects, are they going to draw the line addictive recreational drugs? Probably not.

At the same time, when someone is a true addict, I think treatment is the only option, and yeah, addicts get more support from me. But right now, some sports are so dirty that too much mercy means the problem will never get fixed. 

Oh and Lance Armstrong is rotting from the inside out for all of the crap he pulled. 

• Love 1
On ‎08‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 4:11 AM, Mittengirl said:

Was FloJo the one with the really long painted fingernails?

I've always wondered how she managed to not stab herself with those.  I'd have poked holes through my palms.

18 hours ago, briochetwist said:

I completely agree. I think athletes need to compete, graciously accept their medals and refrain from calling others cheats. Leave the politics to WADA. I'm sorry but I've lost all respect respect for Lilly King. At least 6 American track and field athletes competing in Rio have doping infractions. They've been punished and it should be left to that. Same with Efimova. Lilly King acted like a bully.

I personally think drug cheats deserve all the booing and calling out they've gotten.  And Lilly King specifically mentioned two American track and field athletes are not deserving to be there due to their past infractions.  I'm with her on that.  I'm willing to forgive one failed drug test, but a second one should be a permanent ban.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Bolt reminds me of Muhammad Ali in that while on stage he's a brash showman, the ultimate self-promoter, but he backs it up with talent and just like Ali you can tell there's a thoughtful, gentle side to him in his every day life when he's away from the track.  I love that.

It was cool to see him code switching so to speak. When he was just watching the 400m finals he was in track pants, not preening, and looked like a regular fan of sports. Then when it was game time you could see him become USAIN BOLT THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME. The track suit went off, the chest puffing and camera mugging started, and I was like "This is going to be fun." That's what I like about him. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, briochetwist said:

It's unfair to call Efimova and others cheaters and treat her badly, while supporting Justin Gatlin, Tyson Gay, Lashawn Merritt, Inika McPherson, Mike Rodgers and Wallace Spearmon. Those are American track and field athletes who have failed drug tests in the past and that's just off the top of my head...

I agree that it would be hypocritical for people to do that, but I understood from the coverage of Lilly King's remarks that she also had words for Justin Gatlin, and so I don't think she was being hypocritical, just passionate.

I don't blame athletes who are competing clean for being angry about potential violations:  in competitions like the Olympics, losing to someone who cheated in the past (and could still be cheating, because let's face it, people like Marion Jones used and were not caught by testing), could cost the clean athletes real money in medal-related endorsements and recognition.

I'm only a casual Olympics-watching fan and no authority on track and field at all, but from what little I've seen, it seems as though in the early 2000s, track and field was on the precipice between losing itself to acceptance of a massive "you have to dope to win" culture like cycling (where everyone who won was cheating, at least during the Armstrong years) and something like swimming, where maybe they have weeded out most rampant drug cheating (but maybe I'm naïve).

If Gatlin is clean now, good for him, but it's difficult to take him seriously when during that Chris Collingsworth interview that aired last night on NBC, he claimed he was the victim of a vindictive masseuse who used steroid cream on him.  That sounds a lot like the Lance Armstrong excuse he had for testing positive (used a cream unknowingly that had drugs in it) that one time before he fessed up to Oprah.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, briochetwist said:

I understand what you're saying, and in a perfect world I'd agree with you. I felt that way at the beginning of the game too. Unfortunately, it's the picking and choosing of who to call out and who to give a 'pass' is what bothers me. At the risk of coming off anti-American (which I'm most definitely not), the American press and people seem to be willing to vilify some and yet support their own athletes who've had doping suspensions. I've seen and heard a lot of announcers, articles and people who are willing to gloss over American drug suspensions while completely trashing athletes from other countries. I'm sure there's probably the same problem with other countries as well, but from where I sit as a Canadian, this is what I'm seeing here. 

It's unfair to call Efimova and others cheaters and treat her badly, while supporting Justin Gatlin, Tyson Gay, Lashawn Merritt, Inika McPherson, Mike Rodgers and Wallace Spearmon. Those are American track and field athletes who have failed drug tests in the past and that's just off the top of my head...

I absolutely agree that the US media is pretty inconsistent and downright hypocritical in their treatment of US athletes who've gotten caught doping.  (Look how far up Lance Armstrong's ass the press was for years.)  But Lilly King did call out both Justin Gatlin and Tyson Gay on their multiple infractions, so she at least was not saying it was all foreigners.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

I agree that it would be hypocritical for people to do that, but I understood from the coverage of Lilly King's remarks that she also had words for Justin Gatlin, and so I don't think she was being hypocritical, just passionate.

Just now, proserpina65 said:

I absolutely agree that the US media is pretty inconsistent and downright hypocritical in their treatment of US athletes who've gotten caught doping.  (Look how far up Lance Armstrong's ass the press was for years.)  But Lilly King did call out both Justin Gatlin and Tyson Gay on their multiple infractions, so she at least was not saying it was all foreigners.

Sorry, I guess I was unclear in my post, I wasn't referring to King herself. Yes, she was at least consistent. I'm referring to the media and the general public.

2 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I firmly believe that testing positive for certain drugs should not lead to a ban but a rehab center(if you test positive on for instance coke you have bigger problems imo)

I believe they should lead to a ban AND a rehab center.  I work in the court system, and am pretty hardline about illegal drug use.  To clarify, though, I think it's the dealers who deserve far harsher punishment, both in the sports world and in general.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Daisy said:

Hammer throw scares the heck out of me. I feel like i'd kill myself with it. 

My college team was at a meet where someone in the stands was killed by a sector fouled hammer so fear is healthy for that event. There are reasons why many track & field venues put the non-shot put throwing events out in a cornfield 200 yards from the stadium proper.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, selkie said:

My college team was at a meet where someone in the stands was killed by a sector fouled hammer so fear is healthy for that event. There are reasons why many track & field venues put the non-shot put throwing events out in a cornfield 200 yards from the stadium proper.

very very true. (I always fear for the judges). 

Okay i am getting anxious. Canada's #MedalADay rests on this adorable red head running with a pole. LOL

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Holy crap. it is really pouring in Rio. i wonder if they cancel events. 

oh they said they only cancel things if there's lightning. geeze. 

All day the Laser Radial sailing people were waiting for wind(Dutch woman is in 1st, that's why I know lol), just before the cut off time to move races to tomorrow the wind picked up and everyone thought they would be able to race, then this weather happened and the races still got canceled after all. I feel awful for all athletes who have to perform in this weather.

• Love 2

Lots of the big Diamond League events (the professional circuit for track and field/athletics) are held in the rain in Europe, so the big names will be used to it, but hurdles, pole vault and discus are the events which can be dangerous in these conditions.  Take a guess as to what is scheduled right now?

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Who was the hurdler who hit hurdles left and right but still did really well because he was so fast? Allen Johnson??

Idk but a French guy just false started. Everyone else seems to be slip-sliding their way through the race. It looks like a hot mess. 

I don't watch track &: field as much as I used to, but when did they start DQing after one false start?  A guy from Bahrain was also DQed, I think it was yesterday or the day before.   

• Love 1
Just now, Ohwell said:

I don't watch track &: field as much as I used to, but when did they start DQing after one false start?  A guy from Bahrain was also DQed, I think it was yesterday or the day before.   

I think around 2000, def. 2004.  they did it in swimming too. 

• Love 2

43.03; in-frigging-sane. It will be another 15-20 years for that record to fall. Intrestingly, Sanya and Ato predicted that someone would break Johnson's record, it just a question who. Way to go Van Neriek (sp); you are now the King of the 400 meters!....and a cutie, too.

I co-sign everything that has been said about Bolt. Is he cocky and brash? Of course he is! But he backs that talk up every.single.time. Track and Field will have a huge void to fill once retires; there will never be another athelete like him.

Edited by sereion

Among the many things I like about Usain Bolt one is that he carries his own backpack into the stadium. He also stays in the Olympic Village and went to a favela the other day.

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Love 13

Way to go Clay Murphy! The first US.medal for the 800 in 24 years! Though I am sad that we are no longer dominant in the sprints, medals from Coburn and now Murphy, in distance races is very encouraging, and I'm glad we are making strides (no pun intended) in these events.

Edited by sereion
  • Love 3