Type keyword(s) to search

Track & Field: Insert Latest Scandal here

I don't know ya'll; DeGrasse's going to make Bolt work for this one. If there's anyone capable of pulling of an upset, it's him (which is extremely unlikely-because it's... Bolt, lol)

Love the Banter between then two. I really like how Bolt is complientary of his opponents. Ever since he became a track & field icon, not once have I heard him throw shade or outright diss the others. Such a class act.

• Love 6

Degrasse vs. Bolt. vs. Gatlin.

Oh wait. GATLIN didn't make it in.  WHEEEE!!!! 

Degrasse and Bolt smiling at each other at the end actually made me tear up.  DAMMIT!  Tomorrow should be a doozy.

• Love 3

Gatlin looked like he was arrogantly taking it easy, but he claimed in the post-race interview that he felt something go in his ankle (or maybe foot). Yeah whatever.  He's making excuses.  I just do not like him.  Glad it will be Bolt vs. De Graase vs. Merritt.

Elaine Thompson is the new Jamaican sprint queen.  What a fantastic win by her in the 200.  Loved her reaction when she found out she won.

• Love 3

I think this is a pretty amazing piece on Caster Semenya and womanhood and a whole lot more.

I didn't like it. She assumed bad faith on the part of the IOC and other female competitors, and I don't think that bad faith is justified. Elite ciswomen and those with bodies functionally identical to ciswomen cannot outperform elite cismen (in the making it to the podium sense) and those with bodies functionally identical to cismen bodies. That's why we divide the competitions to begin with. I feel completely okay condemning the horrible specifics of how Caster Semenya and other competitors have been treated while still supporting the IOC's attempts to create a level playing field (and not coincidentally, one that allows transwomen to compete). 

• Love 2

FBK was from the town I was born and she came in the store I worked at all the time. She was really nice and people mostly left her alone even though she was super famous in my country. That's the closest I've been to a famous person ever haha

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Zuleikha said:

I didn't like it. She assumed bad faith on the part of the IOC and other female competitors, and I don't think that bad faith is justified. Elite ciswomen and those with bodies functionally identical to ciswomen cannot outperform elite cismen (in the making it to the podium sense) and those with bodies functionally identical to cismen bodies. That's why we divide the competitions to begin with. I feel completely okay condemning the horrible specifics of how Caster Semenya and other competitors have been treated while still supporting the IOC's attempts to create a level playing field (and not coincidentally, one that allows transwomen to compete). 

There is a lot more to the story that goes back to about 2009 when other competitors at the All Africa championships asked for a gender test on her. And if you look at some of the good East African middle distance runners, many of them like Maria Mutola or Pamela Jelino aren't terribly feminine-looking by European standards. (Note- Mutola was pretty much loved wherever she went.) Those are the women who first asked questions, but instead of handling the inquiry discretely and privately and then coming forward with a document or something that said 'the matter is settled; all is in order' the president of the South African track federation chose to throw her in the crossfire and effectively use the storyline of 'the whole world is persecuting our South African runners like Semenya and Oscar Pistorius' in what retroactively seems like an attempt to hide just how much he was embezzling from the organization he was supposed to be leading. 

And the IAAF actually did had a policy in place for intersexed and transgender athletes covering allowable testosterone for people competing as women. It wasn't necessarily a great policy but they had tried to come up with something that would be fair to all competitors. 

3 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Watching De Grasse and Bolt at the end of their 200m semi heat was the cutest thing ever!!  

I want to hold hands with Bolt and De Grasse and jump up and down in a field of wildflowers.  They exude joy.

• Love 12

Wow, I just knew Dafne would take the 200, but way go Thompson for the second gold! Congrats to Bowie for taking the bronze.

YAAAAAYYYY!!! For the US sweep in the 100 meters hurdles!!! That certainly made up for last night after the men didn't medal...and we FINALLY won gold in a sprint event! Way to go ladies! Congrats to Bartoletti and Reese for their 1-2 finish!

I am offically a Evan Jager fan! His reaction to winning the silver was awesome! I love it when athletes are thrilled with winning a medal other than gold. I actually like the man bun; it looks better on him!

3 hours ago, sereion said:

Edited by sereion
  • Love 1

After watching gymnastics the commentators on track and field are so freaking good. Informative and not annoying.

Congrats to the US women hurdlers. Great race and loved all the other women congratulating eachother. Great sportsmanship.

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, twoods said:

After watching gymnastics the commentators on track and field are so freaking good. Informative and not annoying.

I was just thinking Ato Boldon is a damn gift. Sanya Richards-Ross was also pretty interesting in the little I heard from her.

• Love 7

As we head toward the 4x100m relay, I'm wondering slightly if the third leg of Bolt's triple-triple is a bit wobblier than the other two, which are assured.

In particular, in 2012, Yohan Blake won the silver in both the 100m and 200m. This year, he didn't medal in the 100m (though he came close to the bronze, admittedly), and didn't even make the finals of the 200m. The only other Jamaican runner in the 100m and 200m was Nickel Ashmeade, who made it to the semifinals in both but wasn't especially impressive there.

Now, maybe Bolt is sufficient to cover up any lessening in the quality of the rest of the team, particularly as I don't know if there's any other national team that poses a notable threat (though the USA always has a deep bench).

59 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

The US team first needs to make sure to get the damn thing around the track in the first place

Ayup. I just want to know what blackmail Dennis Mitchell has on USATF because it's the only reason I can think of why he keeps getting named relays coach after failure after failure, including today's women's 4x100 disaster. 

I was watching in shock as Allyson Felix botched the handoff to English Gardner. I could tell she stumbled, but couldn't figure out why until they showed the relays of the Brazilian runner making contact with Allyson. It will be interesting to see if the US women get reinstated. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, hendersonrocks said:

I think this is a pretty amazing piece on Caster Semenya and womanhood and a whole lot more. 

That reminds me of this article about Dutee Chand that I read a few months ago.  It's in a similar vein, and goes into detail about the types of "gender verification" testing they do, and whether having excess testosterone is truly a competitive advantage.  I remember being absolutely gobsmacked when I read the article; those tests are intrusive and humiliating, and I can't believe that in 2016 that is considered an acceptable way to treat another human being.    

• Love 1

I could tell she stumbled, but couldn't figure out why until they showed the relays of the Brazilian runner making contact with Allyson. It will be interesting to see if the US women get reinstated. 

I had to laugh that CBC blew up the area on screen on when the exchange got botched, though it was fuzzy to see if Brazil did impede. 

And I feel for the Dominican who false started at the 400m hurdles and was DQed.  He was besides himself crying off the track.  :/

14 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

The IAAF just confirmed that the US women were obstructed at the second exchange. They get to rerun their heat to see if they can get into the final on time.

oho. wow. 
that sucks for China.

and this pushes Canada to 8th. 

32 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

I had to laugh that CBC blew up the area on screen on when the exchange got botched, though it was fuzzy to see if Brazil did impede. 

And I feel for the Dominican who false started at the 400m hurdles and was DQed.  He was besides himself crying off the track.  :/

the Dominican was the relays :( Puerto Rico was the 400m hurdles. 
Both so very sad. 

57 minutes ago, ketchuplover said:

Imo the Brazilian's feet were in the the lane and the protest should be denied.

But her left arm swung way back into Felix's lane.  I think that is what alarmed Felix, caused her to stumble and botch the pass.  Looks like the authorities agreed.  Glad to see they get another chance.

• Love 1

I am not certain where to post on the triathlon but what a race by the Brownlee brothers! Loved the 1-2 finish. And awesome job by Henri Schoeman (younger bro of olympic champ Roland) and Richard Murray on the 3-4 finish for SA! So glad I could watch most of this one! 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, mehtotheworld said:

Did it just swing into her lane, or did the Brazilian runner's arm actually hit Felix, causing her to stumble? I thought her arm may have hit Felix.

She actually hit her. Completely unintentional, but it definitely impeded Allyson's progress. Ato Boldon just pointed out on Twitter that the rerun will be interesting in front of the Brazilian crowd, in light of the fact that the Brazilian team got DQ'ed as a result of the obstruction.

And how cool is it for brothers to go 1-2 in the triathlon? Congrats to the Brownlees!

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 4

Here's a good article about the women's 4x100 relay.  The U.S. gets to re-run their race to see if their time would qualify them for the final.  If they get in, then that means Canada and China would tie for the eighth and final position, since they finished with identical times.  Canada and China then would have a run-off to see who qualifies for the 8th and final position.  I think that's fair.

• Love 1

Tonight (Thursday) is the final of the men's 200 and the relay?  Correct?  I'm just getting into track and field and just love it.  I was torn between feeling sorry for Justin Gatlin not making the final of the 200 and thinking "what a dumb cluck.  Even I know not to look at the next lane."  And I just can't with Lochte.

16 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

On the one hand, I feel sympathy for her and the way she has been treated by other racers and the media.  On the other hand, I thought the test results which were leaked said that she has external female genitalia but has no womb or ovaries, and in fact, she has internal testicles which produce testosterone.  So she competes as a woman because she presumably has a vagina and identifies as a woman.  I have no issues with how she views herself.  But there's no question in my mind that her testosterone-producing internal testicles are giving her an unfair advantage.

Some could argue that to some extent, the most gifted athletes have advantages and take advantage of those advantages.  Track athletes who have larger hearts that circulate more oxygen to their muscles have an advantage.  Tall swimmers with long legs and arms have an advantage.  The 6 foot something tall John Isner has an advantage in tennis because his arms are long and he has a longer reach.  But Semenya's advantage is so unusual that it doesn't seem fair to me.

If a woman were to take testosterone in an effort to improve her strength and her times, no doubt this would be considered illegal.  But is it because Semenya's testosterone is naturally produced that this makes it ok?  What if there was a man transitioning to woman?  Say that in his prime, Bruce Jenner discovered that he identified as a woman.  He has surgery to remove his penis, has a vagina constructed, but the testicle removal surgery is scheduled for a later date.  He considers himself a woman and starts calling himself Cait.  In the meantime, there is an Olympics.  Under the current rules, would he have been able to compete as a woman?

• Love 4

Tonight (Thursday) is the final of the men's 200 and the relay?  Correct? 

Tomorrow for the relay finals: it's part of the reason Bolt and DeGrasse didn't race in the heats earlier, they want to conserve their energy for the (no doubt awesome) showdown.  They may run in the final though.  Only relay of any kind tonight is due to what happened in the women's relay earlier.

Edited by mtlchick
41 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Tonight (Thursday) is the final of the men's 200 and the relay?  Correct?  I'm just getting into track and field and just love it.  I was torn between feeling sorry for Justin Gatlin not making the final of the 200 and thinking "what a dumb cluck.  Even I know not to look at the next lane."  And I just can't with Lochte.

Tonight is the finale of the men's 200 but not the relay.